• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Hyrule Rising (Zelda/Modern)

[X] Maintain machines in the mill

[1] Bureaucratize the business
[2] Do the hazy medical thing
[7] Maintain machines in the mill
[2] 2 On-train inventory checks

"I would like," you say slowly, carefully, "to work at the steel mill."

Your father narrows his eyes, then nods agreement. "A good choice. If you do well, then when the current order is finished at the airplane plant I'll consider letting you move over. Your schooling will continue, of course, though at a reduced pace. . ."

He trails off there, as if considering. "Yes. A reduced pace shall be fine. You'll be learning valuable life skills and- well never you mind that."

Never you mind what? You don't like being told that there are things going on that you don't know about! Shouldn't you know what might effect you? But you hold your tongue. This is your father, and he has much more knowledge and experience than you do. He knows what he's doing.

You trust him, because not trusting him would mean that your entire life is built on lies and falsehoods.

"Of course, if you'll be going outside you'll need to be fitted for a suit to keep you from being mutated." Father's brow crinkles in disgust, and your ears burn. "And since you won't be working with me in the office, it can't be a simple mask and a pair of gloves."

He pulls a small rectangular device out of his pocket and punches a few buttons, then holds it out to you. "Here, drag your finger left or right on the screen to pick one of these.

Environment Suits come in several designs. Choose which design you want to have fitted for you. All designs include a custom respirator, face mask, and air supply.
[] A light hazmat suit worn under bulky heavy pants with suspenders, tall boots, and a long treated jacket.
[] A synthetic rubber drysuit fitted to your body, for maximum agility and freedom of movement.
[] A heavier, sturdier drysuit with a canvas outer layer, and reinforced with steel plates and struts.
[] A hostile environment suit made to resist energy discharges and blunt impacts, with secondary environmental protections.
[] write-in (ask first)

Last edited:
Yes the update's short, and yes, that's because I fell asleep instead of updating last night. I'll try to put out another tonight to make up for that.

How permanent will this decision be? All of these kinda have something going for them, but some of them have more immediate benefits than others. If this is going to be a long term decision, I'll be making a much different choice than if we're picking again next time we outgrow our clothes or get assigned somewhere different.

Quarian encounter suit?

[X] A hostile environment suit made to resist energy discharges and blunt impacts, with secondary environmental protections.

Last edited:
See, Cassie, I'd agree with you if we were stuck with our current choice. That or the full hostile environment suit. But if it's just for while we're at the mill, I'd sooner go with the lightly armored one, and if it's for until we grow, I'd sooner go with the hazmat suit and the overalls of many pockets.

Actually this is probably related to our eventual build more then anything else. Hazmat suits are armor in this setting most likely. So No Armor for the drysuit to maximum armor for the hostile environment suit.

Hmm, I'm going to go with the drysuit. To suit the dancer build I want.

[X] A synthetic rubber drysuit fitted to your body, for maximum agility and freedom of movement.
-[X] "And I'll also need a large bag of some kind, because this doesn't have any pockets."

Last edited:
[X] A synthetic rubber drysuit fitted to your body, for maximum agility and freedom of movement.

Its very... Sheik...

I still say we need more information. If you guys are right and this is permanent, I agree with you. But in the short term, we should go with the option that has more pockets.

Actually... gibbousmoons, can we go with the synthetic drysuit, wear overalls over it for the pockets, and undo the shoulders to leave the overalls on the ground like a purse when we need to do something REALLY acrobatic?

How permanent will this decision be? All of these kinda have something going for them, but some of them have more immediate benefits than others. If this is going to be a long term decision, I'll be making a much different choice than if we're picking again next time we outgrow our clothes or get assigned somewhere different.
It would be best to assume that you won't be able to change types on a whim. At the very least, this will be the first kind of suit you wear, and thus the one you'll be most comfortable in, and other things might happen.

Quarian encounter suit?
Rather too complex for anything you have access to. If you're talking about the aesthetic, that'd be the "A synthetic rubber drysuit" option. All of the choices are modeled after either real-world or fictional environment suits. Feel free to submit a SFW picture if you'd like a specific 'version' of an option.

I still say we need more information. If you guys are right and this is permanent, I agree with you. But in the short term, we should go with the option that has more pockets.

Actually... gibbousmoons, can we go with the synthetic drysuit, wear overalls over it for the pockets, and undo the shoulders to leave the overalls on the ground like a purse when we need to do something REALLY acrobatic?
No, you cannot mix and match suits in that manner. You may, however, carry a bag with the synthetic drysuit.

-[X] "And I'll also need a large bag of some kind, because this doesn't have any pockets."

Ra

ther too complex for anything you have access to. If you're talking about the aesthetic, that'd be the "A synthetic rubber drysuit" option. All of the choices are modeled after either real-world or fictional environment suits. Feel free to submit a SFW picture if you'd like a specific 'version' of an option

I was thinking more style and aesthetic than actual tech.

Say #4 for everyday wear and #3 while at work. - http://wrinki.deviantart.com/art/Quarian-design-concepts-447781340

[X] A hostile environment suit made to resist energy discharges and blunt impacts, with secondary environmental protections.

Last edited:

"Of course, if you'll be going outside you'll need to be fitted for a suit to keep you from being mutated. And since you won't be working with me in the office, it can't be a simple mask and a pair of gloves."

gibbousmoons Since you italicized mutated I'm assuming that Zelda's father said it with some emotion behind it. Did Zelda note what kind of emotion? Hatred, Disgust, Sorrow? Etc. I can't imagine it being good though since it took his wife in some manner.

It's kind of important since we almost voted revealing it and we should take how he feels about it into consideration next time the issue comes up. IE flee immediately upon discovery or try to talk to him.

As much as I would like to be a walking tank, were gonna be working on machines here, so we need something we can move around and use our hands with.

I was thinking more style and aesthetic than actual tech.

Say #4 for everyday wear and #3 while at work. - http://wrinki.deviantart.com/art/Quarian-design-concepts-447781340
Neither of those are doing it for me.

gibbousmoons Since you italicized mutated I'm assuming that Zelda's father said it with some emotion behind it. Did Zelda note what kind of emotion? Hatred, Disgust, Sorrow? Etc. I can't imagine it being good though since it took his wife in some manner.

It's kind of important since we almost voted revealing it and we should take how he feels about it into consideration next time the issue comes up. IE flee immediately upon discovery or try to talk to him.
Fair enough. It was disgust, so I'll edit that in.

Someone quick remind me again how we're getting fitted for a skintight suit without anybody making note of our ears.

Someone quick remind me again how we're getting fitted for a skintight suit without anybody making note of our ears.
All of the orifices on your head, including your ears, will be covered instead by a full-face mask. All of the suits have a hood or a helmet that also covers your neck area. Getting fitted for your suit is simple and easy, as your father already has all of your biometric data.

I wouldn't put you into plot-mandated peril while you're picking out your outfit.

Reactions: tEN
So right before and right after, and possibly as a consequence of the selected outfit, but our outfit itself does not present immediate peril? No need to worry about accidentally wearing a cloaker and having our head bitten off?

Fair enough. It was disgust, so I'll edit that in.

Disgust, hmm. Probably sees mutants as sub-human, something to be spat on as you pass them in the street. Not a good sign. It probably means Zelda being his daughter isn't going to change that. She won't be his daughter, she will be a mutant.

So.... Zelda probably should start making plans for an escape route in case things go wrong. Bug-out bag and multiple exit plans. Something we can actually plan for now that we have access to more then our room.

I'm going to call the vote in a few hours, regardless of how many votes there are.

Given Gib's expressed views on putting you in peril during character creation, I think that perhaps choosing to hide our mutation and come up with an excuse is why our father would be disgusted if he found out now.

So you can all blame yourselves for your overly clever idea.

Hmm, working at a steel mill.
(images from google)

Unclear if we will be getting additional heat and fire resistance on top of the suits.

- A light hazmat suit worn under bulky heavy pants with suspenders, tall boots, and a long treated jacket.
Hazmat suit by wiki, basically impermeable layering against chemical and biological elements, with secondary resistance versus radiation and temperature. Typically very weak versus physical damage, unclear whether the additions can be considered armor.

- A synthetic rubber drysuit fitted to your body, for maximum agility and freedom of movement.
Drysuit by wiki, mostly for low temperatures, fully waterproof. Unless there is an environmental control attached/built-in, it will be awful in hot conditions. Non-water use is suggested to be made out of breathable materials, but unclear on interaction to irradiated air.

- A heavier, sturdier drysuit with a canvas outer layer, and reinforced with steel plates and struts.
Like above, but with more armor.

- A hostile environment suit made to resist energy discharges and blunt impacts, with secondary environmental protections.
This might have different meanings to different persons. Examples might include Gordon Freeman's suit from Half-Life, a couple of iteration for Isaac Clarke's armor from Dead Space, current astronaut suits, heavy deep-sea walker diving suits. All are typically heavily armored, have very high environmental ratings, but unless power armors are a thing, then it will be bulky and restricting.

All suits will probably have their own air supply.

HEV suits will allow Zelda to go down and work near the very blast furnace itself, if needed. But it is not clear what kind of work Zelda is going to do, so if it is mostly bureaucratic or administrative work, then she wouldn't need that level of protection.

Last edited:
Our mother mutated and 'left.' We don't know how she mutated though. That is one obvious source of his disgust. People also mutating into LoZ monster races and going feral is another good reason.

He also lives in Mobile, Alabama. Racism is institutionalized in several parts of the state and since that stuff lingers, the 'niggers' and all that lovely tripe probably now have 'muties' lumped into that rather broad category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back