• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Immortals [Worm]

You also have to consider the time this happened in. Riley is still new. Very new, so her tinkertech isn't as good as it is during canon, as well as Jack may not have trusted her brainwashing enough to put himself under her mercy yet.

You also have to consider the time this happened in. Riley is still new. Very new, so her tinkertech isn't as good as it is during canon, as well as Jack may not have trusted her brainwashing enough to put himself under her mercy yet.
Isn't Riley like 12 during the S9 arc in canon? and triggerd around 5-6 years of age meaning she's been active for about 6 years the first time we see her and about 2-4(?) in this story?

When she was freshly triggered, she was good enough to keep reviving her family from fatal wounds over and over again, with items found in a common household. She only let them die when she became too physically, mentally and emotionally weary to keep going. She was really, really good, even then.

About Hatchet Fase and knife to the eye? Imp in cannon wasn't super-strong, right? And now HF got low-brute falling knife-first vith thinker's presicion, calculated for dealing macsimal damage. It's not the same things, IMHO.

P.S. English - not my first, so I give my apology for grammar and misspelling.

About Hatchet Fase and knife to the eye? Imp in cannon wasn't super-strong, right? And now HF got low-brute falling knife-first vith thinker's presicion, calculated for dealing macsimal damage. It's not the same things, IMHO.

P.S. English - not my first, so I give my apology for grammar and misspelling.

And Jack died because it was fucking Aegis stabbing him in the eyes.

Not just Aegis, but freshly-triggered AU-Aegis with less def, but lot more bite.

He hadn't triggered yet. If he had then both him and the 9 would have been disabled for a moment. More than that, if he had triggered, then - even though Jack himself might not have enough time to physically react - Broadcast would still pick Carlos' intentions up, and message Shatterbird/Burnscar/Siberian to take care of him ASAP. Jack's BS telepathy basically makes the 9 a subconscious extension of himself.

Hell, just look at Carlos talking about how he discovered his powers:

"I was able to get away after I killed Jack Slash…" His eyes were distant; I could tell that Carlos was reliving the memories of what had happened to him as he spoke. "I was running through the woods when Crawler and about a dozen of those spiders of hers started chasing after me. They were playing with me, running me down like some kind of fucking animal. I tripped, and I thought I was done. I was laying there, praying to Jesus," he said, pronouncing it 'hey-soos'. "Suddenly I'm climbing to my feet again, and this time I could really move. I was running faster than I could go on my bike, maybe as fast as a car." Carlos appeared a little excited as he recounted the details of discovering his powers for the first time, but eventually excitement gave way to anger and fear.

Sounds like a viable trigger event to me.

He hadn't triggered yet. If he had then both him and the 9 would have been disabled for a moment. More than that, if he had triggered, then - even though Jack himself might not have enough time to physically react - Broadcast would still pick Carlos' intentions up, and message Shatterbird/Burnscar/Siberian to take care of him ASAP. Jack's BS telepathy basically makes the 9 a subconscious extension of himself.

Hell, just look at Carlos talking about how he discovered his powers:

Sounds like a viable trigger event to me.
Jack has no telepathy.

His Broadcast shard does three things:

1) Lets him 'broadcast' the sharpness of a blade over effectively infinite distance.

2) Lets him be far more persuasive toward capes than should normally be possible. Maybe by undermining their judgement so that they actually listen, instead of dismissing what he's saying.

3) Lets him react to the actions of a cape before the action takes place, because he's subconsciously reading their intent via their shard.

I recall no situation where he's able to control the Nine as if they were a part of him.

Jack has no telepathy.

1) Lets him 'broadcast' the sharpness of a blade over effectively infinite distance.

2) Lets him be far more persuasive toward capes than should normally be possible. Maybe by undermining their judgement so that they actually listen, instead of dismissing what he's saying.

3) Lets him react to the actions of a cape before the action takes place, because he's subconsciously reading their intent via their shard.

I recall no situation where he's able to control the Nine as if they were a part of him.
Actually... The three of those things combined with his familiarity to them basically allows his shard to pass them 'suggestions' in a manner that he can basically predict how they would react to in a similar way to how he gets others to listen to him.

Ie he's not mind controling anyone... But he's so familiar with them that he can get them to do things he wants them to even without direct communication.

Jack has no telepathy.

Never outlined in canon, but it's there in the WoG if you care to believe in that stuff.

Questioning Quester said:
We do see that Imp's power rendered her undetectable to almost every single one of the Nine (excepting Cherish and maybe Hatchet Face, if she got too near him). Would Jack still have gotten around her by somehow always ducking or standing in the wrong place or even slashing out at apparently empty air?

Wildbow said:
A combination of [Imp getting nudged away by her shard], intuition on Jack's part... and leverage of the broadcast... Crawler wakes to initial commotion, he uses his full senses with his shard happening to kick into full gear (a la Skitter and her varying range) and/or moves across room, forcing Imp to back up from Jack, Shatterbird lashes out in a blind attack that happens to connect.

On that last point, the Nine can be considered to be an [unconscious] extension of Jack for all intents and purposes.

So Jack isn't just an intention receptor. He can also directly interfere with the intentions of capes, in a limited fashion... although he never knows he's doing any of it, because his shard is Halping.

Never outlined in canon, but it's there in the WoG if you care to believe in that stuff.

So Jack isn't just an intention receptor. He can also directly interfere with the intentions of capes, in a limited fashion... although he never knows he's doing any of it, because his shard is Halping.
That's an example of why a lot of people prefer to ignore WoG.

That's an example of why a lot of people prefer to ignore WoG.
Yeah.

So I suppose that explains how Jack survived for so long. One member or another 'accidentally' got in the way of attacks meant to take him out. The Nine were never more than mobile ablative armour for him.

Yeah.

So I suppose that explains how Jack survived for so long. One member or another 'accidentally' got in the way of attacks meant to take him out. The Nine were never more than mobile ablative armour for him.
Gives some interesting parallels to King then.

the fact that Carlos wasn't a cape when he killed jack slash is the reason he succeeded in the first place. Jack was taken completely by surprise since there was no shard that broadcast could communicate with to read Carlos intentions.

Yes, exactly. Jack was so used to sensing attacks coming from a mile away that he was caught completely unaware by Carlos. Had a parahuman attacked him, then Mr. Slash would have been warned immediately by his shard.

Jack had been enhanced by Bonesaw, but his upgrades weren't as advanced as the ones Bonesaw would have developed in another 2-3 years. He was sporting something like the MK2 versions, rather than the Mark 4 or 5's that he would have had in another 2-3 years. He was tough enough that a 30lb oak chair swung full-force by an exceptionally strong teenager didn't cave in his skull, but not quite tough enough to avoid being knocked unconscious.

It was the follow-up that did the real damage. If Carlos had tired to finish off Jack any other way besides stabbing him straight in the brain, then Bonesaw would have been able to fix him up with little effort.

Just discovered and binge-read the whole thing... Awesome.
You seem to have some bad fanon in there, like healers being extremely rare.
And what makes you say healers being rare is fanon? I can only recall 2 healers from canon, Panacea and Scapegoat. And Riley by the end... (and if you really stretch, Clockblocker, from keeping people alive long enough for real help to get there)

It was even mentioned that there are NO healing powers, all healing powers are a side-effect of the real power.
Has she been able to figure out the medical Tinkertech Riley does? She's advancing engineering, why not medicine as well?
It's mentioned that the artificial muscles of Taylor's new powersuit were derived from Riley's work.
I think shard pinging was also a known phenomenon in canon, though I don't recall how recent that knowledge was.
Shard pinging is NOT known in canon. I don't even think Cauldron was aware of that. Fan knowledge of this is entirely based on WoG, and possibly bits of one of the entities PoV chapters (I know there was the Scion interlude, not sure if there were any other bits from an Entity's PoV).

Shard pinging is NOT known in canon. I don't even think Cauldron was aware of that. Fan knowledge of this is entirely based on WoG, and possibly bits of one of the entities PoV chapters (I know there was the Scion interlude, not sure if there were any other bits from an Entity's PoV).
"Another pattern we will be exploring is the apparent effect of multiple trigger events occurring in the same time and place. There is a very strong correlation between coinciding trigger events and individuals displaying three or more powers rather than one or two predominant ones."
Seninel 9.3
They don't know specifics but they are aware of the phenomenon.

"The odds are still high, even with an adopted child. It's likely more to do with exposure to parahumans at formative ages than genetics."
Interlude 13
And they're pretty certain it isn't genetic.

They don't know specifics but they are aware of the phenomenon.
"Another pattern we will be exploring is the apparent effect of multiple trigger events occurring in the same time and place. There is a very strong correlation between coinciding trigger events and individuals displaying three or more powers rather than one or two predominant ones."
Seninel 9.3
Shards pinging is not a "pattern [they] will be exploring." Shard pinging is when a newly activating shard gathers info from already active shards. They're exploring multiple shards activating at the same time. Basically they're exploring mass Triggers; not a Trigger happening around a lot of other capes.

Gotta love pointing to someone own cite to refute them...
Othala could grant regeneration.
Ah, yes, forgot about her.

My point still stands, next to no named healers in Worm canon, compared to other types of Capes. I've not seen anything in Canon or WoG to make me think healers aren't extremely rare.

I'm honestly curious why healers being rare was labeled as "bad fanon."

Shards pinging is not a "pattern [they] will be exploring." Shard pinging is when a newly activating shard gathers info from already active shards. They're exploring multiple shards activating at the same time. Basically they're exploring mass Triggers; not a Trigger happening around a lot of other capes.
Ah, I see. That seems like the same phenomenon to me, but the characters apparently aren't aware of that. My apologies.

Scion could at least cure cancer. But getting his attention is difficult to say the least.
Eidolon could presumably call on healing abilities. But when Hero was bisected, he still wasn't able to save him. And he doesn't seem to make a habit of healing people.
Othala can bestow regeneration, while she's at least in the vicinity, and it turns off if she gives powers to anyone else. Also, the regeneration is relatively slow (more along the lines of 'your shattered knee will actually heal and be useful again, rather than knit together into a useless lump of flesh' than 'tomorrow you'll be dancing the tango').
Scapegoat can swap the healthy aspect of alternate-universe versions of you with your damaged areas, taking the injuries on to himself until he can pass them on to an opponent. He suffers the full effect of the injuries while he has them. Canonically, he hates his powers.

Panacea ... can heal any injury. She can cure freaking cancer. There is no doubt that, in terms of pure versatility and accessibility, she's head and shoulders over everyone else.

TBH, there are not many powers that could have "healing" as a viable side effect. Thus, there's not many people recognised as 'healers'.

EDIT: forgot Lizardtail, but he came along later in canon, and he wasn't really well-known, being one of Accord's Ambassadors.

Last edited:
Bonesaw can also heal just about anything.
Marquis can heal bone injuries by causing the bones to grow the right way, but needs help with everything else.
Bonesaw can use Tinker-level medical capability to treat injuries. She actually has to put the patient back together physically. Doctor, yes. Healer, no.

Yes, Marquis can do that, but it's so limited that I would hesitate to call him a 'healer'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back