• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Interesting Indie Games

Actually on that topic anyone here like Zachtronics games? SpaceChem, Infinifactory, TIS-100, KOHCTPYKTOP, or Codex of Alchemical Engineering? Similar games exist from other parties as well but those ones kind of stand out to me.

I'm a fan of those. I'm not good at them but I'm a fan.

It is indeed, particularly if you've somehow ignored Portal 2 for all these years. It's certainly not the best game on Steam and I am biased towards difficult puzzle games anyway but it's still a great game.

Actually on that topic anyone here like Zachtronics games? SpaceChem, Infinifactory, TIS-100, KOHCTPYKTOP, or Codex of Alchemical Engineering? Similar games exist from other parties as well but those ones kind of stand out to me.

Oh yeah, love their style of puzzle games. I think at least 2 were in my first post actually, Infinifactory and SpaceChem

Hah. I'll be the judge of that!

Or likely I won't, since I doubt I'll play much else.

You say that now, then a holiday sale happens and your wallet cries...

Seriously, when you see something like the entire Dawn of War series(DoW 1 and it's 3 expansions, DoW2 and it's fuckton of DLC's) in a bundle and the bundle is on sale for $25 when it would cost over $300 to buy everything individually....yeah, there goes $25.

And that's not uncommon. When a big holiday sale hits, 75% off is a fairly common thing to see, 50% for larger AAA titles, and up to 95% off for some indie games(seriously? $0.50 for a $10 game...I just...I can't not buy it...)

The Steam Cards for this game are insulting!:mad:

"E is for Elodie,"
-who fractured her skull
-who fumbled with knives
-who leaked out her life
-who took an arrow to the lung
-who blew out her fuse

Goddamnit game, I know I'm getting my ass kicked by you, you don't have to mock me for it out of the game!

Well, I've finally beat the game, and I only died by-

being shot by bandits
eating poisoned chocolate
drowning
getting stabbed in a duel
getting skewered turning down a duel
fracturing my skull in a duel
getting consumed by magic in a duel

And I'm sure I missed a few grisly deaths!

Space Run

Not quite an indie game but it feels like it. A simple concept done well with all the focus having gone on making that one concept works right.

Not sure what category this fits in. Tower Defense is the closest I can think of but it doesn't quite meet what I think of for a TD.

The gist of it is that you're in a spaceship moving cargo. As you go, asteroids and pirates will appear to harass you. You build weapons, defenses, and engines within the limited space you have for that mission. Not only do you have to defend yourself from whatever dangers you come across but you need to make sure you build enough engines that your thrust will let you reach the goal on time, or early for the extra bonus.

It's actually pretty fun, if having little to no replay value unless you're into being able to do every mission perfectly for your own personal satisfaction. Not sure if it would be worth the $15 it costs normal price but on sale it's well worth ~$5.

It is on sale for $5 too, but only for another day or so as of the date of this post.

Well actually most of the Focus Entertainment catalouge is on sale for the Labor Day weekend, but I don't really like any of their other games.

I will admit being slightly tempted by Farming Simulator 2015 if only for the giggle factor.

Last edited:
Kinda unrelated but my first thought on hearing that was Astrox, a free online unity that has apparently been updated tons since I last played it over a year ago but was a pretty decent space based trading and combat game back then. Less customization though, more about mining asteroids to try and earn money to escape I think? It's been a while.

Kinda unrelated but my first thought on hearing that was Astrox, a free online unity that has apparently been updated tons since I last played it over a year ago but was a pretty decent space based trading and combat game back then. Less customization though, more about mining asteroids to try and earn money to escape I think? It's been a while.

Yeah it's absolutely nothing like that.

Damn nice game though, and completely free? Hell even from playing just the tutorial I would be willing to pay $5-$10 for it. Good graphics, decent depth...actually it's pretty much small scale, single player EVE.

Damn nice game though, and completely free? Hell even from playing just the tutorial I would be willing to pay $5-$10 for it. Good graphics, decent depth...actually it's pretty much small scale, single player EVE.

To be completely fair, there has been a lot of games that were originally Unity/Flash games on Kongregate that has become $5-$15 games on steam. (And no, I haven't actually paid to play them)

Divide by Sheep

Produced by the same people who made No Time to Explain. I math puzzle game where you have to move around sheep by flinging them off their current platform towards an adjacent one. If there are lasers in the way that cuts them in half, well that's part of the puzzle.

The trailer can describe it better than I can but it's only $0.99 this week.

There is actually an interesting story behind the existence of Divide by Sheep relating to No Time to Explain. You can read it HERE.

Well this is....new.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is completely free for the next 24 hours or so. All you have to do is go the the store page, log into your account, and click install.

At least I think it's the actual game license and not just a day of free play. It doesn't look like it from what it told me, but I guess I'll find out in a day or two.

Regardless it is one of the better horror FPS games out there and it well worth the seconds it takes to click the button if it does truly give you the game license permanently.

Got a couple new ones.

Sublevel Zero

Did you like Descent? Did you wish it had better replay value by mixing things up instead of having exactly the same enemies and levels each time?

These guys did too. This is simply put, a Roguelike version of Descent, which means that every time you play absolutely everything is randomized. The level designs, pickups, enemies, everything.

Currently on sale for 15% off for it's first week of release, which is until Oct 15th

Crypt of the NecroDancer

Another Roguelike but this one is an overhead 2d style where everything is set to the beat of the music. Mobs move and attack according to the beat and doing so yourself greatly enhances your own abilities, also using the music as the time limit for the level because when the song ends you advance no matter what.

Very creative and fun to play, and the title alone is just so damn clever it makes me giggle.

Several old ones from browsing my Steam Library with an upcoming sequel that looks awesome as hell.

Dungeons of Dredmor

A really good 2d turn based rougelike with a very good workshop community. And at only $7 full price for the complete pack, $2 more than the base game with the 2 DLC, it is a great steal at the hours you will lose playing this. Humorous but unforgiving, it is quite enjoyable but if you make a dumb move expect to lose, yet again, in short order.

Orcs Must Die! and Orcs Must Die!2

An FPS Tower defense where the towers are more in the flavor of traps instead of actual towers. Placed only on walls, floors, or ceilings you must setup a solid defense to stop the orc hordes but if it isn't enough you can get involved as well.

The sequel is more of the same formula that made the first great but adds in co-op, more features, new traps, and is in general a hella lot of fun, picking this up is not something you will regret, even more-so if it is on sale which I have seen for at least 75% off when it does.

Sanctum and Sanctum 2

A more traditional style of Tower defense but also FPS. A little more complex with the added in features for FPS, like weakspots for increased damage to reward great accuracy, but all in all a really good addition to your library if you like this style of game.

If you can only get one, I would suggest the second. The first is still good but the second greatly improves on a few of the more irritating flaws the first had. Both are often on sale for pretty cheap, I think I snagged Sanctum for only a couple dollars and the sequel for less than 5 while they were on sale.

Also, as abit of shameless self promotion, the only guide I have written also happens to be for Sanctum 2, detailing a very easy way to power-level for the later goodies if you want to go through the game with everything rather the unlock it as you go, which just so happens to be my play style if you hadn't guessed.

Uplink

The original Hacker sim and still better than most other games that have come out since trying to imitate it. Of them only Hacknet looks to come close to the feel this one has, however I have not purchased it yet so I can't give a review of Hacknet beyond 'it looks pretty good and has good reviews'..

I'm...not really sure how to describe it beyond 'it's a hacker sim'. This game is pretty old, made in 2001, but even today it is THE classic and still best hacker sim I have played....also the only one minus the demos of Hacker Evolution which I didn't like much.

Sacrifice

This isn't actually an Indie game, just another really old(sometime in 2000) game that is still one of my favorite games of all time.

You're a wandering wizard who has come to the lands with 5 warring gods. You choose missions between them gaining different spells depending on which god you decide to work for, also letting you mix-and-match your spell list depending on the order your choose to work for each god. Up to a limit, eventually you start taking destroying the main shrines of each of the gods until a single one remains.

The only resources are souls and mana, each unit costs a set amount of souls to summon and when it dies, yopu can just pick up the souls and use them for different units. This is also a thing by having your own units kill off the weaker ones you don't want anymore to use those precious souls for better units.

You can also steal enemy souls by summoning a witch doctor to take the enemy unit to your shrine to convert the souls it contains into your own.

Death means little more than being forced into an astral form, with resurrection happening when you regain your mana which can be done via mana-hores(mana-regen units, the backbone of your wizardly abilities) or, if the enemy was smart and killed them off during the fight, returning to your shrine or a monolith.

Fast and alot of fun, one of the blasts from the past that make you wonder where the innovation and creativity has gone from those days.

Besides all these indie games I am posting anyway.

Puddle

You're a puddle of various liquids. You tilt the screen left and right to make the puddle move, avoiding obstacles to bring as much of your substance to the end goal as possible

A game that totally makes me a liar by saying developers have lost their creativity, it looks like an iPhone game but was designed from the start for consoles and PCs so don't expect just another app game port.

Not very long but if picked up on sale you will easily lose a noticeable amount of time trying to complete it.

Antichamber

A mind-bending puzzle game where physics does not apply, unless it decides it wants to this time. Escher-like is the term they use and it's very fitting.

You'll eventually get the hang of how and why to do things, like walking backwards down the hallway you just came down in order to reach the next section or walking down the set of stairs you just came up that leads to an entirely different area when you go down them, but when you first start that sheer feeling of 'how the...but...why did....I'm so confused!' will be a constant companion in your journey.

You also have a color-block gun that unlocks various modes to solve the puzzles you come across but that's very portal like and will probably be your only lifeline to sanity and stability as you progress.

Prison Architect

Prison Simulator in a single phrase. Design, build, run, and upgrade your prison.

Designed by the same people who made Uplink, it has recently hit its 1.0 release and is now a full version. I actually picked this up in (very)Early Access the second I saw it was by Introversion just because I like their games and I haven't been disappointed yet.

The Escapists

The opposite of Prison Arichect. You are a prisoner and your goal is to escape.

This has also somewhat recently(earlier this year IIRC) hit full release and is a nice fun game that I have followed through its development and also haven't been disappointed.

Very challenging at points and not for the impatient, sometimes the only progress you'll make in a day it getting 8% more damage done to that grate in your way before you need to get back in your cell before the guards catch you and all your progress is lost. Something that is sometimes too easy to cause and has been the case of more than one ragefit when several hours of work are lost because you made a single stupid mistake.

And then you finally achieve your goal and it just feels that much sweeter after having put so much work into it.

And damn this has gotten so much longer than I expected, but given that I have over 468 games in my library with the majority of them being indie games either through bundles or when on sale because I am a cheap bastard, this is too be expected.

I'll get to the one that inspired me to start this post and close it up for now

Space Pirates And Zombies(SPAZ) and SPAZ2.

The first is a fun little game, you fly around in your spaceship doing various stuff, setting up your ships for whatever it is you're doing, and the only times you can perma-die is if you lose your mothership, which is fairly difficult since the majority of the time you're sending out your other ships to do the missions and you just have to spend resources to remake the ships when they are destroyed.

If you run out of resources, you'll just have to go collect more resources to continue, usually by leaching off a mining station as it dumps tons and tons of ore into space as it mines.

A nice game, it runs really well because it pre-loads everything so transitions between areas are nigh instant.

But what makes it even more impressive, and extremely impressive when you look at the alpha gameplay of the sequel(which isn't even available for Early Access yet but looks so damn awesome I just had to post about it) is that Minmax studios is only two guys.

Two guys. They made the first in their basement in only a few months and the sequel has only been in development for a couple years and it is still only those two working on it.

That alone is majorly impressive and I tip my non-existent hat to them for being so damn awesome at what they do.

OK, one more I saw when finishing up my daily Steam queue.

Road Redemption

Still in early access, it's a combat racing game.

Racing games are not my thing but this looks interesting enough I might snag it at some point regardless. It's also going to be fodder to continue the Racing Worm series of snippets in the Ideas thread.

Soooo...yeah. The Halloween Sale is happening now on Steam and fuck that's alot of games on sale. Been browsing through the list of games on sale for the last 15-30 min and I'm still going.

Most likely every game I have linked here is on sale ATM so if you are interested in any of them, now's a good time to take a look and see if they're a good price.

A new one that has been eating most of my free time lately.

Windforge

Steampunk air-world done in Terraria/Starbound/2D-Minecraft style.

There is a story in there somewhere but I haven't gone for it yet. Instead I have spent my time using the ship Grinder attachment to strip-mine floating islands for resources, fend off air pirates/evil government forces, and hunt down the elusive sky whales for their blubber.

This game is so close to being an absolute gem, and it is fun, but it just misses the mark in places. There are a few glaring issues that if the devs gave just a little bit of polish, the game would be several times better.

The crafting doesn't have a 'make this many' selection, it's just one click per item. Tedious and a little annoying if you lose count of how many to made when you only have just enough resources for the thing you want.

It's actually 2.5D, meaning it is a sidescroller but tilted to an angle slightly. This can make it difficult to build left to right because you can't always see what's there.

The mining is not the greatest way it has been done. Compared to Minecraft's 2 block tall char and Terraria's 3 block tall char, Windforge chars are 8 blocks tall. When you only mine a single block at a time, this is not a very good way to go. Currently the fastest way to mine is either using the grinder to demolish islands or use a combat knife since it hits in an area and every block works on an HP system, since if you can mine it you can use it to make your ship.

As an addition to that, the money situation is a little skewed as well because you can sell a basic stone for $1, but you can also sell a background stone block for $1 when you can make 20 background blocks from 1 stone block. This means that with a little patience you can get unreal amounts of money for what is effectively a trash item.

Once you get your agility high, your character moves really fast, which is a something of a problem when a single misstep means falling to what is likely your death.

I actually knew all of these before I bought it and went for it anyway both because it was cheap and it still looked interesting, and it is still fun despite these issues. The grappling is a hell of alot of fun and is considered a basic piece of equipment that you start with, once you get the nuances to building down that is nice as well. Ship combat is fun with repairs only needing a mouse-over of the repair tool, which sounds OP to do for free until you realize just how much damage you'll be taking on a regular basis and if repairs took any material cost then you would never do anything but hunt for supplies for repairs.

Also, when you fall it's not an instant death. You transition screens and keep falling until you either hit something, enter the poison gas layer and suffocate, or if you have the gear to survive that, until you hit the core. If you can avoid any of those, you can call for a pickup on your radio and go back to town where your ship is waiting for you. This can also be done on the back of a flying whale you just killed, just ride it down until if finally hits something, harvest it, then call for a pickup.

If you can get past those issues, which are just so small overall and could be so easy to fix with just abit of polish, you can enjoy hunting down flying whales while fending off sky pirates to your hearts content.

*returns to find more flying whales so I can get more oil*

Apparently I am on a Steampunk kick.

Guns of Icarus Online

Airship combat where a team has to manage the ship. The pilot needs to positionfor the best firing solutions or to get behind cover for those critical moments to repair, engineers frantically run around trying to repair everything because it's all on fire, gunners do their best to keep the other guys on fire as much as possible, and this is all a team effort, no one person is doing it all.

Different ships have different guns, gun placements, maneuverability, and more to take into account when attacking or defending.

I haven't gotten it yet, waiting for the winter sale, but god DAMN it looks amazingly fun. One of the steam video is a streamed match between youtube players and holy FUCK does this look like an insane amount of fun.

Epic Battle Fantasy 4. A cheap ($3.59 until December 1), long (6+ hrs) JRPG pastiche with a well developed system of skills, crafting, equipment and party members. A decent story, with excellent music, engaging combat, and a abiding sense of humor throughout the game.

Well I may just have to man up to this because Astrox was just released on Steam.

Maybe during the Winter sale. Just dropped alot of money on my new comp and funds are still stinging from it. Definitely worth it, but dropping $2500+ makes you bank account cry out in pain even when it was expected.

Well I may just have to man up to this because Astrox was just released on Steam.

Maybe during the Winter sale. Just dropped alot of money on my new comp and funds are still stinging from it. Definitely worth it, but dropping $2500+ makes you bank account cry out in pain even when it was expected.

Damn you for point his game out to me! *shakes fist*

*buys*

You looked at the forum for it yet? It's still definitely in active development, and due to ideas from the forum they think they might be able to add custom ship creation and even some modding.

That said I'll be waiting for the Mac release to grab it, they said they're trying for it and Linux releases soon.

So... now that the completely BS game awards pony show is over, I recommend Undertale.

Regardless of what people tell you, it's probably THE best indy game of the year, with one of the sweetest soundtrack done by non-professional groups.

The best point of the game is that the way you play changes the gameplay, and the story is pretty great as well.

Black Closet

What Is Black Closet?

Black Closet is a visual novel/mystery-solving/card game hybrid (yes, you read that correctly) released by Hanako Games earlier this year. You might know this company for Long Live The Queen, which for a lot of people was notoriously difficult, and a lot of Black Closet is in the same frame.
tumblr_inline_o04ocl07oT1qzif3c_500.png

You play Elsa Jackson, senior at St. Claudine's (an ostensibly Catholic all-girl's school) and Student Council President. In order to keep your position and receive a recommendation for the college of your choice, you're tasked with protecting the school's reputation by keeping student scandals from being outed to the public.

This is very hard, mostly because the scandals range from freshmen buying test cheat sheets and dramatic arguments between best friends to underground fight clubs, stalking, and secret societies. All of these cases are randomly generated at the start of each week, making every playthrough a new challenge.
tumblr_inline_o04ocwvbUD1qzif3c_500.png

In order to solve these mysteries and keep a lid on St. Claudine's, you use the members of your Student Council in order to search rooms, interrogate students, and dole out detention. Some are better at doing various tasks than others, but maintaining your Minion's loyalty is just as important because…one of them is a traitor.
tumblr_inline_o04od4SmVR1qzif3c_500.png

Who? Well, that's up to you to find out. On top of that, you can romance members of your Council and develop friendships with the others, all while knowing one of them is dedicated to betraying you.
You can buy it on Steam (currently on sale for 14.99) or directly from Hanako.
http://theivorytowercrumbles.tumblr.com/

So as a question, I've seen Undertale mentioned a lot as some kind of great game, any thoughts QQ? Preferably non-spoilery as it seems like the plot is strong from the glimpses I've seen.

Let's hope I don't somehow post in the wrong thread this time.

So as a question, I've seen Undertale mentioned a lot as some kind of great game, any thoughts QQ? Preferably non-spoilery as it seems like the plot is strong from the glimpses I've seen.

Let's hope I don't somehow post in the wrong thread this time.

Play it. the story is wonderful, the characters are likeable and the music is spectacular. It also made me cry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back