• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

One Positive Change at a Time (ASOIAF: Viserys SI) Dead.

Future wife (need time to shape things in the chosen direction)

• Brienne of Tarth

Votes: 47 12.1%
  • Arianne Martell

Votes: 158 40.8%
  • Margery Tyrell

Votes: 184 47.5%
  • Asha Greyjoy

Votes: 64 16.5%
  • Ygritte

Votes: 47 12.1%
  • Sarella Sand

Votes: 22 5.7%
  • Nymeria Sand

Votes: 31 8.0%
  • Tyene Sand

Votes: 15 3.9%
  • Mya Stone

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Rhaenys Martell

Votes: 135 34.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Great chapter.
Pentos finally made its move,Ironborn and Oberyn would support them.Somebody in Vale ,too.AND IT WOULD WORKED,IF NOT FOR THOSE CHILDREN! Viserys rally need Scooby-doo like dog now.
Arianne would fall for Viserys,so poor dude must evade her.Renly? ideal husband.He would not made her any problems.

P.S i hope,that Oberyn children would be smart enough to not die.At least Sarella.If Viserys do not get mermaid,she is safest choice.No political power now,and knew about ships and other stuff.
Both Arianne and Margery could ultimatelly kill him.Not becouse they are bad,but becouse they would made him King.
So,he need waifu who never made him King.
Wait,Aegon and Rhaenys are taken,right? then our hero could sail to save them.And himself from being King.

When Viserys finally gets out into the world he's going to be appalled at the legend the bards have been building out of him :V
All my accidental adventures are really some grand masterminds plan to suubvert the baratheons allies as my own. Lol.

Great chapter.
Pentos finally made its move,Ironborn and Oberyn would support them.Somebody in Vale ,too.AND IT WOULD WORKED,IF NOT FOR THOSE CHILDREN! Viserys rally need Scooby-doo like dog now.
Arianne would fall for Viserys,so poor dude must evade her.Renly? ideal husband.He would not made her any problems.

P.S i hope,that Oberyn children would be smart enough to not die.At least Sarella.If Viserys do not get mermaid,she is safest choice.No political power now,and knew about ships and other stuff.
Both Arianne and Margery could ultimatelly kill him.Not becouse they are bad,but becouse they would made him King.
So,he need waifu who never made him King.
Wait,Aegon and Rhaenys are taken,right? then our hero could sail to save them.And himself from being King.
It might still work, we only have 6ish weeks before they all act and we don't know who is involved and what the plan is outside of a few clues.Love the scooby doo reference and Sandor even has his big black bear dog, should have told him to call it scooby.

Viserys is the one falling head over heels for her, she's just playing it smooth to check me out. And about that Renly thing... look behind you, it's a distraction!

If Oberyn's kids die, I won't waste it by killing them at the same time.

I still have Robert and his 2 sons, Stannis and Joffrey, Jen and Shireen, and even Renly/Gendry before I'm in line again (at least in the eyes of the current dynasty).

Viserys will be going on a rescue mission at some point.

If his dragon is slow to grow (which it might be if he's unwilling to feed it humans and/or sheep regularly?) that fits.
Slavers aren't people, I'll let my dragon eat all of them.

But really, my stance on swords being basic/boring should be a big enough hint for how my dragon will be different.

Arianne is lucky to have survived that. I'm guessing taking off the orange top early is the only reason she didn't get nailed with an arrow from the ship, right away.

On the bright side, she's stumbled into the best possible situation for her there. Right into the arms of Vis and Prince Renly.
Only reason she wasn't found immedietly and recaptured.

Chapter 23: Ride Along
Chapter 23: Ride Along
Viserys Targaryen

As Arianne fills Barristan and I in on the details of her escape, I can't help but notice her constant shivering. She keeps sliding backwards and I'm finally out of saddle to escape on. She's freezing!

Before I can change my mind I pull Arianne firmly against my chest. Just got to be careful with my arm placement, don't be a creep now. My breathing comes out stilted when she relaxes against me.

"How are you still so warm in this weather?" Her teeth aren't chattering nearly as much as earlier and I ignore Barristan's soft chuckling from behind us.

"It was both amusing to hear the strange things you claimed to be truth and terrifying to see you facing a foe I could not shield you from." I roll my eyes and am just glad I seem to have kept my feverish ramblings to telling everyone about the stars. "He thinks all of the water in the world came from the stars, after centuries of crashing into a barren rock."

At least I was abstract enough to sound delirious. "Never really been cold, or even too hot except the one time I had a fever." Would have been my only advantage if Robert had actually sent me North.

She hisses in annoyance at that comment. "How is that in any way fair?"

"No Baratheon has ever been struck by lightning and here in the Stormlands that's far more common of a danger than you'd first believe." When she gasps in horrified shock, I manage not to laugh for three entire seconds. "I'm just japing. Don't worry about the clouds, the storm has nearly cried itself out." That sounded charming and not stupid I hope.

"And we're almost home," Barristan's voice is far to cheery after a night ride through a storm. "We'll be able to see the castle once we clear the trees. Ashara will be happy to know I missed yet another battle."

"Lady Ashara is still here?" I share a frown with him when we can both hear the confusion in Arianne's voice. "But Arthur said her and the children would have been halfway to Starfall by now."

"Princess Cersei wouldn't let Ashara go until after she gave birth, we had to postpone the visit by a few months."

As the path exits the woods and Arianne can finally see my cousin's home, She sits up straight to take in the impressive sight. I can feel my face heat up at the increase in physical contact and struggle to keep my thoughts on the far blander scenery.

"It's so imposing." She looks back over one shoulder and seeing her face for the first time, nearly makes my heart leap from my mouth. "Sunspear covers a lot more land, but your castle looks nearly three times the height of ours."

Warm morning light shines against her wind dried hair, shimmering like the sea in the middle of a nighttime thunderstorm. Her eyes are such a dark brown, I find myself lost in them as I try to distinguish them from her pupils.

When I don't respond fast enough, her warm smile shifts into a satisfied smirk. "You aren't big enough to pull of the strong silent type and you really don't look good with such a horrid hairstyle."

"M wife has been trying to tell him that for years," Barristan manages not to share his own opinion. "I wish you all the luck if that's the quest you have taken on."

"Luck is for the average." She laughs lightly and by now I must look like a burn victim. "Viserys will listen to reason I hope." She even smells amazing, like spiced red wine.

Barristan gives me a stern scowl that always makes me feel far too guilty. "Most people would accuse him of being quite boring. He's been far to focused on earning a knighthood, he forgets a person wears the armor."

Getting close enough to castle for the docked ships to be identifiable makes me kick Pepper Anne into a gallop. "That's not one of our boats!" A ship stained nearly black flies a merchants flag, but the design is definitely Pentoshi.

"You truly have no idea what the infection is?" I have my own horrific suspicion but nothing I can actually share as evidence.

The defeated voice of Arianne answers with a whisper. "No."

"Seal the gates Barristan, I'll lock down the pier!" He gives me a grim faced confirmation as we race through the iron gates, breaking off to see the vital task done.

"Lock down the castle and get every door shut!" My bellow has the guards react though slower than I would like. "No one can leave the castle until we know the disease is contained." That spurs the Baratheon men to action.

Maybe thirty five people are in the courtyard and I can already hear confused complaints from the smallfolk. I ignore them for now and only stop long enough to let Arianne down from my horse.

"Make sure the castle doors stay shut, I'm needed at the docks." Having an actual goal brings me focus and I gather as many guards as can be spared. "Make sure Maester Cressen sends every single raven before leaving his tower. We can't let this spread."

"But you don't even know what it is yet?" She frowns in concern at my strict commands.

"You don't go to all this effort for a common cold, this is supposed kill people!" I raise my voice and instead of finding her mad at the tone, Arianne just gives me an approving smirk.

"You better hurry, it looks like the crew is trying to get away."

She's right of course and I only have time to kick my mare into a trot down the pier. The crewmen on the docks have dropped whatever was being unloaded in massive crates and are trying to make it back on board in time.

"None of them get away!" Roaring in vain, I'm helpless to watch billhooks push the vessel away from the docks.

Only a dozen men are left behind and most of them try swimming after the fleeing ship before it's sails raise. Shitwhere are they going?

Dread fills my bones as Pepper Anne reaches the end of the empty dock. Two of the faster swimmers manage to grab onto thrown ropes but the rest are left treading water in Shipbreaker bay as the wind billows the mustard yellow sails.

"Get them alive!" We need answers and fast.

Looks like I'm going to find out how good I am at interrogation. I won't command someone if I'm not willing to do it myself. That's just a great way to turn my friends against me.

"Chain the captives on the beach, everyone else in the courtyard get onto the 'Salty Rack'." We need to isolate anyone who could have possibly been exposed and only move them to a second ship for a few more days to make sure.

"Anyone who shows symptoms gets to join us and anyone with them goes on the wait-and-see boat. Hope none of you get seasick, because we're spending at least a few weeks in the bay." The crowd starts to panic and I know that needs to be stopped now. "We don't know who has been exposed yet, so this is only a precaution. One we are all going to face to face as a group."

"What do you mean by us?" Barristan and some of the guards from the gatehouse have joined us and he doesn't look happy by my claim in the slightest.

Shame fills me as I realize why I was so absent minded. "We've all been exposed, none of us get special treatment. The disease won't give a damn what our name is."

"I'm going to need you to keep the courtyard on lock down even after Renly returns. He cannot enter until all the rock has been exposed to fire." I don't care if my knowledge is questioned, lives are at stake. "If any of your men show symptoms…"

"I know."

Good, now it's time to deal with the swim team. "I need to know where that ship is going and if it had any friends. Once I know that, I'll find out who they're working for." My voice is devoid of emotion as I dismount and walk towards the captives being forced to kneel on the beach.

"We have people trained for that Viserys," Barristan sounds worried.

"We have enough captives, they can confirm any answers I get." Stopping before the nine soaking men with a venom laced scowl, I point to three at random. "I'm only going to need these ones. Take the rest far enough away they aren't distracted by the screaming." Okay… that last one worried me a little bit. Sounded a little bit to much like Viserys.

He gives me a very disappointed look but does eventually take five of the captives away. Once I'm with a handful of guards and three shackled me, I give them a single chance to do this nicely.

"I'm only going to ask once. So you had all better remember the questions really good." I hiss the words and begin pacing back and forth. "Who are you working for, what infection did you bring, where is your ship heading next, and was it alone?"

"Four simple questions I need answered and I have three of you to provide them." I close my eyes and exhale slowly. "So would you like to die painlessly, or do you want it to come only after I'm bored of hearing you scream?"

"You don't have the ba-" One captive with a split lip tries to back talk me, but his taunt is cut off when I yank on the chain around his neck.

I let him gag for a few seconds before giving the chain some slack. "That was not an answer to any of my questions. You're allowed to answer or scream… that is all."

Turning to my shocked guards who are seeing a very buried side of my, I give them a grim command. "Dig three holes and bury them all in a line. Only leave the heads exposed and facing away from the water." I want them to hear the waves getting closer and feel that salty water lap against the back of their necks.

The first one to give me an answer goes to the Wall and the second one dies how he chooses." I turn back with no reaction to my three captives horror. "Last one to talk… better make peace with the Drowned God."​

Best method.You do not need do anything to get your answer.I read,that some hindu used beetle as kind of torture/but i forget how exactly/ ,and chineese used dropping water as mean of torture,too.
If worst occure - how much SI knew about modern medicine ? could he,for example made penicilin? becouse i certainly could not.
But - it is not as important as to not let Arianne like him,becouse such marriage could kill him.Maybe intentionally torture somebody in front of her ?

There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.
Very true and Viserys has definitely shown he has a temper when pushed.

Thank you.

I honestly like your Arianne a lot more than the canon one. From her book chapters she just appeared to be really dumb. Switched my vote to her.
Thanks, I really wanted her to be less chaotic because Elia has been making Doran explain things to her instead of leaving her floundering on her own.

Best method.You do not need do anything to get your answer.I read,that some hindu used beetle as kind of torture/but i forget how exactly/ ,and chineese used dropping water as mean of torture,too.
If worst occure - how much SI knew about modern medicine ? could he,for example made penicilin? becouse i certainly could not.
But - it is not as important as to not let Arianne like him,becouse such marriage could kill him.Maybe intentionally torture somebody in front of her ?
Viserys knew he needed to avoid physical torture, or the comparisons to his father would be everywhere.

I know you can chew on willowbark for a head ache.

Some things/people are worth dying for.

Chapter 24: Responding In Force
Chapter 24: Responding In Force
Tyrion Lannister

Don't show weakness, remind them what only a few hours did to Storm's End, and if that doesn't work… ask what they would have done and tear apart the idiocy. Father's raven was actually approving of my decision to burn the Pentoshi ship before it even docked and he gave me advice for handling the King and his Hand's arrival.

As King Robert Baratheon descends the ramp towards me with a scowling Prince Stannis beside him, I swallow my nerves in the face of unexpected fury on full display. Lord Manderly and Uncle Gerion are the ones to follow behind his pair of kingsguard, confusing me with Lord Arryn's absence.

"You better have your vassals raising sails Lord Tyrion!" Bellows the armored King, his extra bulk still contained behind his impressive black plate. "I won't tolerate these attempts on my family." He comes to a stop before me and even on a my stallion he towers over me.

"Seventy four ships are being pulled from regular shipping lanes and will be here within the week your Grace." With just enough left to keep Dragonstone and my bannermen safe. "Is Lord Arryn gathering your Crownland forces?"

King Robert's face turns plum purple with rage. "He has returned to the Vale to put down his mountain clan bastards. No more mercy for them anymore, they took the wrong girl this time."

"My agents have been able to link what at first seemed like only unconnected oddities." Chimes in the Master of Whispers with eyes twinkling even behind his pudgy scowl. At least it's no secret who showed our King and Queen the joys of feasting.

"The Ironborn haven't been falling apart under Quellon's command like it first seemed." Gerion decides to fill me in before my floundering is noticed by anyone else. "The raids on Skagos and the Three Sisters had only been a cover for Victarion and Urrigen to install themselves in secret."

The only man I know of still wider than the King continues with a scowl at my favorite family member. "Doran has finally decided to share the knowledge of Euron arriving in the Stepstones over a year ago."

"Ned's sent word of Wildings swarming across the North and is going to handle the Northern front, while Lord Hoster handles the Three Sisters." With Lord Arryn taking care of his own uprising, this is leaving our invasion force far smaller than I had expected. "We'll sail South and meet the Stormland forces at Griffin's Roost. Renly's really been showing himself a real Baratheon lately, eh Stannis?"

Stannis frowns when his brother claps him on the back a little to enthusiastically, but something in his eyes tells me the public action was appreciated. "Renly is ruling from the captured castle for now… maybe he'd like having one he conquered himself more than that heap of rubble."

"Good idea. He'll be close enough to smooth over your gruffness and you can make sure the Stormlander knights aren't dressed fancier than our ladies." Laughs Robert heartily before his smile shifts to one of chagrin. "Maybe Lyanna and I should just run away with the kids and leave you in charge."

"We'll meet with the Dornish fleet and scour the Stepstones, I even managed to snag Lord Clegane from Hoster for this attack… his raven was quite happy to loan me the Mountain." The King frowns for a second in confusion, only to shake it away when he doesn't find an easy answer. "His loss."

Gerion finally explains my Father's absence from the group with a casual smirk on his face. "Tywin was sent to rally the Westerlands and the Reach, they're going to deal with the Ironborn while we handle the pirates."

"Once my borders are secured, we find out exactly how involved Pentos as a whole was in this insurrection!" Bellows Robert, his face now a far more reasonable shade of cherry red.

"The increase in ship production isn't a sign of innocence." Advises the large Lord Wyman, his thick blonde mustache hiding what shape his mouth takes. "I'll know whether it's the city as a whole on only a few wealthy backers by the time you finish bashing heads in."

"Rhaenys and Aegon have been taken by the pirates?" I need to know for sure, I can't lose the only person who makes me feel normal.

The grim faced confirmation from Uncle Gerion boils my blood. "We'll get her back Tyrion, she's too valuable for them to harm."

"I got my Lyanna back, we'll get you your girl." Agrees King Robert with a look of genuine empathy that startles me. "You just make sure to treat her right and know love takes many forms."

That was far more poetic than the rumors that abound say the oaf can be and I have to wonder exactly how involved my father has been in spreading them. He's running out of time for Cersei to be Queen, she's already three children away from the throne.

Or are they just disgruntled loyalists lies and Father is aiming for one of his grandchildren to marry the heir? Cersei and Jaime both have girls in the right age range.

Margaery Tyrell
I can see forever up here. With wide eyes I ignore my shaking legs and let Garlan show me his city from the best view. Climbing the countless steps inside the Hightower seemed a horrible idea before we even made it halfway, but this view is just awe inspiring.

Nothing except the Wall could even come close to this feeling of scale. Smirking as view his city, Garlan swaggers up to one of the windows.

"I can understand why the Hightowers held out so long when I really take everything in from up here." How often do you make that climb, or did you just make it part of your daily training?

"It's pretty amazing to think the dragon riders saw this all the time." He hums in agreement and gives me as long as I need to catch my breath.

The sparkling blue water of the Whispering Sound bay contrasts beautifully against the black marble arches of the Starry Sept. Dozens of ships flow in and out of the various harbors and I let the smell of the sea fill my nose.

"You had better be careful against the Ironborn." I don't want another brother crippled. "Grandmother is going to plenty of effort in finding you a suitable bride."

"She needn't bother, I'm going to be a Lord in my own right soon." His dimpled smiled becomes a wrinkle inducing scowl. "I'll be marrying who I choose and when." If only it was that simple dear brother.

"Father's working on making Loras seem a good match for Princess Jennelyn," I remind him we're all facing the same pressure. "And my own intended has just become unavailable." It really only leaves you for Grandmother to focus on at the moment.

He snorts and watches his navy assembling at last. "I doubt she still wants to tie me to the Greyjoy girl after the sackings, so do me a favor while I'm showing the Ironborn how to fight. Talk up your friend Leonette as a good choice for me and make it seem like your idea."

"It was my idea," I reveal to his confused denial. "Who invited her for weekly rides and got you to chaperon each time?"

"But I was the one who asked for the honor." He stubbornly insists and I feel a little bad for trampling his masculine pride. "You're the one who kept complaining about my presence!"

"Didn't that make insist on joining us each week?" flushing in realization, Garlan can only hang his head and sigh.
Th
"You take after Grandmother far too much, I thought Tyrion's schemes to be the ones I needed to keep ahead of." The snort I let out makes us collapse in laughter over the memory of Tyrion's visit on Garlan's last nameday. "How did he get so much soup above Father? It was all still warm and everything."

Blonde ringlets dance along his shoulders with each laugh and I allow myself to forget his departure tonight… at least until Garlan decides to ruin the good mood. "The Ironborn are working with pirates, savages, and the last dregs of desperate loyalists. This is going to be over faster than the Rebellion was."

His bravado makes a worm of dread burrow into my gut and wriggle itself about wildly. "Just promise you'll be careful, I have a bad feeling about this."

I don't know what else could be planned, but all of this is still only an annoyance to a united Realm. Something more has to be coming and so far the Reach and Riverlands are the only two that haven't faced an attempt.

Notes: One of the only things I'm using from the show is Margaery's age. She's born in 283 in the books, I'm going with the show's 279.​

Chapter 25: You’ll Thank Us One Day
Chapter 25: You'll Thank Us One Day
Rhaenys Martell

Uncle Doran can't know about this I realize as soon as we're lead inside the wooden keep. The cocky face of Uncle Oberyn doesn't bring me the usual joy and I back away from his attempt to hug me.

"Is that anyway to greet me after saving you?" He rolls his eyes at the other man in the room, a very stern faced knight in armor beginning to show signs of rust.

"What happened to Arianne!" Spitting each word with indignation, I watch carefully for his reaction.

"Arianne fell overboard in he storm, it was a tragic accident." The grief doesn't sound faked but how can I be sure? "Didn't Ser Arthur explain this to you?" He growls at my escort who just accepts the scolding with no argument. "Or is this another thing he failed at?

"I don't believe you." If she really did fall overboard, we didn't even try looking for her.

Ellaria Sand blurts out when the three men seem content to exchange intense looks. "If you don't want her fighting you every step of the way, maybe you should just tell her about her role."

"Right as always my love," My least favorite uncle takes his paramour's hand and presses a kiss to he back of it. What I once thought of as sweet and romantic, now only fills me with anger. It took years to arrange, but I've finally managed to undo Viserys' insult to you."

"How can you just pretend everything is fine? Arianne is gone and I have no idea where Hightower took the boys!" He lets me rant until I'm panting for breath and Ellaria is holding back giggles with a hand. If Uncle Doran doesn't kill you for this… Mother will."

"Doran let our brother die and was going to just give you both away!" Oberyn fires back with his own pent up rage. "Elia was fine watching Rhaella be handed off the Tully and is fine watching you be given to the Imp?" His voice is filled with passion as he vibrates in place. "Well I am not okay watching my family be disgraced!"

Once my Uncles words become a string of curses, Ellaria hushes him with a stern look. "We did something about it. You'll appreciate it one day."

"How is this any less confusing for the Princess?" The grouchy knight with short sandy blonde hair barks out and rolls his eyes at the fiery temper. "It is finally time for your brother to reclaim the throne, but for that we needed allies."

Grimacing at the man's gruff attitude, Ellaria tries to settle my rising temper. "Aegon will be betrothed once our final ally proves themselves, but your hand provides him an army now. Daemon will be a far more pleasing match and he comes with his own gold."

I don't want to marry Tyrion because he has gold or Viserys said I had to. He makes me feel special with every letter sent and that is why I'm going to marry him. Even Viserys didn't ask what I wanted… none of you are.

"It's such a shame three of our brothers have betrayed the true King, but Whent will ensure we recover the last of the hostages." Arthur adds with his own attempt to calm me. "You can finally see your grandmother again and meet your aunt Danaerys."

"But what about Viserys?" You haven't said anything about rescuing him.

"He and the Imp have already been dealt with." With finality Oberyn answers with stomach churning pride on his face.

Arianne Martell
With nothing to do but talk and try to fish, it's near impossible to keep the dread at bay. Eleven people have already begun showing symptoms of Grayscale and have been moved to a second ship for the confirmed cases.

The clothes given to me by Lady Ashara are more restrictive than I prefer, but at least Viserys can hold a conversation when facing me now. For someone called the Dirty Dragon, he really doesn't live up to the reputation.

A creak of the wood behind me has me turn to find him approaching with an embarrassed grin on his face. "I had Sandor get a few of my things from the castle before I sent him to Riverrun…" He reveals a bundle of thin sticks and folded cloth of high quality indigo.

"Renly decided to give you his kite since we haven't used them in years." Viserys looks exactly like Quentyn does when I catch him playing with his stone soldiers. "Do you know how to fly one?" I do but Elia taught me well.

Men like to think themselves in control and an easy way to give them that illusion, is to let them 'teach' you something they believe themselves gifted at. "No, but I've always wanted to try. Could you show me how?"

"Of course I can." His ecstatic smile fills me with bubbles of warmth. "You really don't think it's silly?" I allow him to guide my hands in the assembly of Renly's black and yellow one with a reassuring smile.

The look of vulnerability only flickers in his eyes for a moment but that's all I need to stop thinking so much. I don't think he's ever even been smiled at by a girl before, I don't need all the fancy tactics.

"I was worried you took after your father, a little silliness is a welcome surprise." We both blush, but he refuses to look up and mine is gone long before he recovers.

"I can't even remember what he looked like," He admits softly and takes a seat beside me with only a slight bit of hesitation this time. "Anytime I try… all I can think of are his claws and the screaming. I don't want to be anything like him, but how I got answers is exactly what he would have done."

"It was nicer than what my Father would have done." He blinks at my growled words and I take the chance to make my support for him clear. "And I keep hearing you getting compared to Prince Stannis, so I don't think anyone believes it was anything but necessary." And if they do, they better not say it around me.

A smile slowly grows on his face and his cheeks flare red again. "Thanks… I really needed to hear that."

"Don't be so hard on yourself, you'll always be Rhaenys' hero and I can finally see why she ignored every lie Oberyn tried to fill her head with."

"I don't know how courting is done in the Stormlands,"

"Neither do I," He chuckles in response and I join him with no hesitation. I even manage to forget the reason I'm trapped on a boat for most of an hour, just enjoying my time with a very awkward Viserys.

"Well in Dorne we don't waste time wondering, we make our intent clear to avoid any… misunderstandings." He pulls his arm away in misguided concern that brings yet another smile to my lips. "I'm interested in you romantically."

He freezes in place aside from his eyes nearly bursting from his skull. "You do?" The corners of his mouth turn up as the realization sinks in. "That's really…" His hands start to flail as if that will somehow pluck the perfect word from the wind. "Incredible."

Of course when I lean closer we get interrupted by an awkward cough. The teasing grin on Marya Seaworth's face lets me breathe out in relief.

"Sorry for interrupting, but supper's ready so you two better hurry inside." She clicks her tongue in annoyance. "My boys have better manners than the whole lot of them. Barristan won't be able to keep your bowls safe for much longer."

"Thanks Ma...rya," Viserys stumbles over his words with an awkward expression that shifts to concern. "Uh, you have something on your cheek." As soon as his finger points I see the speck of grey on Marya's cheek with dread.

She sighs and pulls up her sleeve with a larger patch of infected skin. "Barristan saw it too. I was just hoping you wouldn't notice until I was on the other ship."

Maester Cressen said no one can return to land until we go two weeks with no new cases appearing, but so far we haven't even been able to go two whole days without one. I don't think any of us are getting off this boat alive.

The dark thought is hard to shake but I force it out of my head with a determined snarl. Martells do not give up.

"Just make sure Dale stays clear of the wrong girls once I'm gone." She smiles sadly with a trail of tears streaking down her cheek. "And remind Matthos to eat his greens, you know how much he hates them."

Wiping her eyes with the back of her hand, Marya takes a steadying breath. "It was really nice meeting you Arianne, but I really hope we don't see each other again. Now go and send Barristan out please… before I lose my nerve and need to be carried."​

In canon Stannis daughter survived.Only to be burned later.Not happen now.
If Ilyrio is Blackfyre,then Aegon would be killed,but Rhaenys is needed alive.And she is smart enough to undartsndt,that Tyrion is her best option.
Viserys - if they both survive,he must run.He need waifu who never made him king.
Robert look as if he lived well with Lyanna,but Garlan - i see death flags there.Well,he is not that important.

So - rebels get widlings and Ironborns.Not enough dakka,they need more.Golden Company? not enough,still.Many more lords in Westeros is needed for them to win.Unless ...what about made Euron real sorcerer king,who could command nature and raise deathh ?

Saved Shireen, but maybe not for the better.

Actually, Greyscale is (possibly) survival with luck and proper medical care, right? Perhaps some survive, scarred.
Greyscale is survivable for people under 7(ish). Anyone older has a slow death (unless Samwell's vinnegar nonsense is really a cure). Greyscale is far less contagious that the Greyplague though. Greyscale seems to be a less than 5% infection rate, Greyplague seems closer to 40% fatality rate.

In canon Stannis daughter survived.Only to be burned later.Not happen now.
If Ilyrio is Blackfyre,then Aegon would be killed,but Rhaenys is needed alive.And she is smart enough to undartsndt,that Tyrion is her best option.
Viserys - if they both survive,he must run.He need waifu who never made him king.
Robert look as if he lived well with Lyanna,but Garlan - i see death flags there.Well,he is not that important.

So - rebels get widlings and Ironborns.Not enough dakka,they need more.Golden Company? not enough,still.Many more lords in Westeros is needed for them to win.Unless ...what about made Euron real sorcerer king,who could command nature and raise deathh ?
Shireen is safe and uninfected.
Good catch on Illyrio's motives.
I Told you Viserys would be on a boat soon, I don't think you'll trust anymore promises.
I really wanted to ttry something different with Rober besides his normal meme behaviour.

Ironborn, Stepstone Pirates, Loyalists, 3 Sisters, Skagos and Wildlings, Vale Mt clans, Illyrio, Golden Company (my clue was pretty obvious.). And some potential ally so far I haven't named.

Fuck, the seaworths can never have it easy can they? Maybe the can try the Show Sam method, uts better than nothing.

Viserys can always try the classic 'sweat/boil it out by raising the body temperature incredibly high to kill off the issue' trick, and stick people in a steam room/hot tub. But that's liable to kill off the people as well from the fever/heat issues.

He seems to run hot (a Targ thing?) so he'd probably survive though. Or perhaps his passive temperature is already high enough that he's not getting it properly.

Chapter 26: Finding Oneself
Chapter 26: Finding Oneself
Renly Baratheon

All of this began after I insisted on going to Summerhall first. It can't be a coincidence that all of this only started once a Baratheon tried to take the Last Dragon's final piece of land. I knew the land was cursed… this is all my fault.

Griffin's Roost is made of a lighter shade of granite than my family home and the more open construction lets sunlight filter in with welcome warmth. Once we've gone two weeks with no more new cases, the Grayscale ship will sail for the Sorrows. It's a certainty I dread, knowing how likely it is that Viserys will be on board when it leaves. I need all the warmth I can get right now.

You better not get sick, I'm not dealing with this mess by myself. The two eggs entrusted to me are for Aegon and Rhaenys when they are rescued, but Sandor took a bundle with him on his roundabout way home.

"How many men are assembled so far?" I ask Lester pointlessly, already having the answer engrained in my skull. "My brothers will be here soon and they aren't going to be happy with our muster speed."

"Just shy of four thousand, but the settlements along the Sea of Dorne are facing an increase in both banditry and pirate activity." He licks his lips when a pair of laundry maids scurry in to grab the beware and curtains still in Connington colors. "You'll be lucky to get a full ten thousand in time."

Viserys would have warned them to be on guard instead of letting scores of bannermen get ambushed on the march. "That will have to be enough for Stannis."

"Even the Riverlands are facing brigands with equipment of far to high a quality according to Rhaella's letter for Viserys." Was really awkward yelling her words up to him from the rowboat and writing down his goodbye response, but at least he seems to be keeping high spirits somehow.

Of course all he needed to smile again was a pretty girl… why did I think he'd ever look at me like that. Cersei's been right about me since day one. I'm just Renly the Reject compared to the Demon of the Trident and Stannis the Stalwart.

"It might sound like a waste of men, but I'm really not liking how the Reach is still untouched. I want half our remaining forces in the Marches once Stannis gets his ten thousand." It's not what my brothers would do but I've never been more than a mediocre replica of them.

If Viserys couldn't notice me when I tried, the world won't be any nicer. I need to show the world who Renly Baratheon is and stop showing them a shadow of the more impressive brothers.

"It's like every place we overlook is getting hammered away at and I want to make sure we have an anvil ready for the next blow coming for the Stormlands." It was both the most terrifying and exhilerating time of my life at Summerhall.

The smallfolk only fought because I convinced them we could win, my name did nothing but anger them for their capture in the first place. Robert's great at rallying warriors and Stannis instills discipline but I can make people believe in themselves in a way not even Viserys can.

Viserys doesn't know how to delegate, he can only lead by example. I respect his dedication, but he's ignoring how much more he could accomplish with only his words. Though Stannis will be proud of how fast his captives squealed without a single drop of blood being shed… I really didn't think Viserys could look so angry.

The guards have stopped mocking him at least in range of my own hearing, so I know his fast action made an impression on more than just my friends. I should be able to get more than enough volunteers to help me out.

"And the other half?" Lester manages to tear his gaze from the girls and scowls at my command. "You're spreading us pretty thin."

"Split between Shipbreaker Bay and the Sea of Dorne." Ten thousand with Stannis and that many again on in the Marches means we have only about five thousand left for each coastline.

"We can't afford to have our borders penetrated or we're in for another siege." Be as vicious as Viserys, and stubborn as Stannis… I've already found Robert's rage and now I just need to blend them into something Renly shaped. "Recruit the local smallfolk and trap any places that we can't hold with limited numbers. Make anyone who tries bleed for every damn inch of our land."

"You're far too tolerant with the smallfolk, they shouldn't be free to petition us with such lies." Cersei is already in my new castle's solar with a scowl I've long come to associate with her ready for me. "Some scarlet woman claimed to have a way to cleanse Storm's End… nearly had her flogged when she started talking about some promised prince and her tongue removed before she scurried away."

Holding in a sigh I instead take a calming breath. "I don't have my brothers' reputations, I need my iron fist to be wrapped in velvet." One of Viserys' strange phrases that stuck in my is perfect for this situation and I enjoy the silence brought on by it… however short it is.

"… Ashara and her children should have reached the Boneway by now." She ends up changing the subject as fast as her mood, which becomes incredibly melancholy. "Joffrey's going to be so lonely now that his friend is gone. You need to spend more time with your nephew… Viserys's absence has been noticed and you will have to do for now."

"The Seaworths are parent less right now, you could always let Joffrey play with them." She looks aghast at the idea and I can only be glad it was Stannis, not I married off for an alliance.

"I will miss Marya's service but not matter what Stannis says… they are still from Fleabottom." Shaking her head with obvious disgust makes my own expression harden. "Our families are not meant to mingle, if only Viserys would realize this himself."

Ignoring her families strange obsession with my Cousin is getting harder as the years go on but until Viserys complains I can only watch the shipwreck in slow motion. "I'll let Joffrey help me dress the straw soldiers." Without Viserys around I can finally admit how good of an idea it was and am going to rain my own men with similar methods.

"I've got lot's of spare Connington uniforms I need to get rid of." No one is keen on wearing them, so I can at least get some use out of them this way. "And Joffrey likes his war games still, doesn't he?"

Viserys has the blacksmith's apprentice making little tin figures for my nephew with any spare scraps. At first it was only vaguely recognizable lumps of metal, but I do have to admit the boy may have some real talent as a jeweler.

A few dozen knights with lances have been painted in both Baratheon and Lannister colors, with almost three times as many on foot. Some strange monsters of make believe give the boy a way for his forces to work together… but Joffrey seems far more excited simply smashing the knights against each other.

Shireen is as quiet as Cressen says Stannis was as a babe, is the third child going to be as overlooked as I was? No. Firmly I make up my mind in the moment and promise to make sure any of my overlooked family know I love them.

"Just keep Patchface away from him. I don't want Joffrey repeating anymore of his nonsense." I'm not very fond of the fool's sense of humor either, but Stannis can't let go of Father's last gift. Patchface will have a home at Storm's End for as long as my brother's heart beats.

"I'll try, but you know how good he is at finding places to hide." He seems to have already found four secret stairways leading to cramped and barren cells. "Pathface will find us if he wants to, you're the only one he actually voids." Who knows what other passages he hasn't been decided share still remain locked in his empty head.

"Small mercies." Mutters the very pregnant Cersei and I have to wonder if she'll give birth before Stannis even arrives. I think even he would like that kind of surprise, haven't seen him smile since Shireen opened her her bright blue eyes.

So has Erys just had Joff playing toy soldiers or actually trying to develop some kind of strategy game for him? Speaking of playing soldiers, this war is going to be over fast, but it's really going to be attacks on all sides, huh.

Lucky for Vis he gets to sit it out on a deathship :V

So has Erys just had Joff playing toy soldiers or actually trying to develop some kind of strategy game for him? Speaking of playing soldiers, this war is going to be over fast, but it's really going to be attacks on all sides, huh.

Lucky for Vis he gets to sit it out on a deathship :V
Viserys has been trying to play child scale dnd and make his forces ally against the monsters. Viserys gives up constantly because Joffrey's four and a half and just wants to smash them into each other.

Yeah this is an all or nothing attempt, the Loyalist forces aren't united or large enough to try again. They really have 2 plays left before everything has been deployed. They have to hope they spread Robert's forces out enough that they can score the few nescesarry wins (most of the rabble are cannon fodder sacrifices.).

Chapter 27: Stone Dragon
Chapter 27: Stone Dragon
Sandor Houndsworth

The first day after I bid Lady Ashara and her escort farewell is filled with a strange tension, as if several someones are watching me and Titan. When he finds nothing but a few coyotes my tension eases somewhat but of course my cargo is too vital to truly relax, forcing me to go wide around Blackhaven.

Sleeping in the woods all the way to Riverrun… sounds like a great fortnight of travel. When I find a decently flat section of hill with a good view of the trail, I decide it's close enough to dark for me to start a fire.

I make sure to check for signs of any predators, but only find a few nuggets belonging to the rat-dogs. The wood I do find is wet like everything in this Kingdom and pine like the Dornish Marches are known for.

Great, I love having my meat smoked. Despite my annoyance at how much smoke will be made, I do grab enough to keep a small flame going most of the night.

Even after being thrown his slab of beef, Titan won't stop whining into the shadows growing around us. "Knock it off. You couldn't find anything but coyotes and I know you aren't scared of those runts."

"Fine. You can have first watch if it's such a big deal." The look in the eyes peering through the mass of black curls makes me once again question if my dog is smarter Patchface. "Stop looking at me like that, I don't have any cookies for you." And Viserys isn't going to be around to give the recipe to my cooks… probably should have gotten that before I left.

Only reason I'm taking such a damned long way home is this is your last request. I just wanted to go straight to the Blanetree lands but no, you need me to play delivery boy.

Of course that's the exact moment a branch snaps in the distance and I hear a faint voice curse angrily. Grumbling under my breath I slide my sword silently from the oiled sheath.

"Let's go say hello to our stalkers." Titan barks his approval and darts away towards the voice. His pony sized body nearly vanishes only a few paces from the fire and I grin at the shock he's going to give.

Soon the sound of barking announces the stalker has been found and the high pitched scream makes me worried I've made a mistake. I dash towards what I hope isn't going to be a grisly misunderstanding and grow confused by the calls of 'It's me!'.

Bursting onto the scene shows Titan pinning a lone figure beneath his massive body, oddly though the boy is laughing and not dying. "Titan get off, it's me!"

"Heel." Titan backs off instantly and trots back to my side with only a slight whine at having his fun ended. The slobber faced Duncan Selmy is on his back and grows pale when I show him how disappointed I am with a scowl. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm not going to be shuffled off to Starfall for another decade of no answers." He returns my scowl with one of his own and crosses his arm to show he really means business. "I waited a few hours and followed you ."

"Why does everyone insist on wasting my time?" My growl is filled with tension and I really hope Zhoe doesn't want children immediately. "You do know I'm just going to bring you back in the morning."

Maybe I won't have any until I get brain damage and forget how annoying you brats really are. Viserys is the only one I never wanted to strangle more than a full grown man… really going to miss him and Barristan.

"No, you're going to bring me with you." Duncan's confidence makes me chuckle but he's still a few years off from being able to force me to do anything. Scary thing is I know it's not if, but when he's good enough to do it.

"Oh? And why do you think that is?"

"Because you already lost one egg and I only found it with the coyotes help." His cocky smirk is proven just when he indeed pulls out a milky white egg covered in black splotches. "And about that… I made some friends. Can I keep them?"

My confusion is clarified quickly as six, seven, nine. No… that's twelve coyotes surrounding us.

I tense as I realize every single pair of eyes is locked on me for a reaction. "Are they going to let me take you without a fight?"

"Probably not and I'd really like it if my friends didn't hurt each other." For a boy of such a young age, he has far too much sadness in his eyes. "I don't have very many left."

"Neither do I Duncan and it only gets worse as you get older." He doesn't like the truth based on his lips shifting into a frown.

"That sucks."

I laugh at his blunt answer and nod. "It does, that's why we fight so hard for the ones we still have."

"So you wont make me run away again and find my own way North?" His smirk is back and I know I've been had by yet another child.

How old do kids need to be before you can ward them out? I'll rip all my hair out before I manage to raise even a single one to adulthood… and I kind of need that to cover my scars.

"I'll take you as far as Riverrun, but only if you had enough sense in that empty head of yours to leave a note for Lady Ashara." I'm not dealing with accusations of kidnapping.

"Of course," His quick answer makes a feeling of dread settle on my skin. "I told Vorian you asked me to be your squire."

"We're leaving now!" I grab him by the collar and bark a command at his new… friends. "His mother will skin each and every one of us for stealing her baby, we're all in this together now." I'm going to need as many bodies between me and Ashara as I can get once she finds me.

Viserys Targaryen
Arianne giggles when I finish my daily – sometimes twice – inspection of her body and move to massaging her knotted back. "You're still clean." And I feel dirtier than ever up here in our crows nest.

"You really don't want any land?" She's having a hard time believing me repeated claims and decides to use her state of undress to loosen my lips. Though I consider it an improvement in our rapidly progressing relationship I'm even aware of that and not just a drooling mess.

A month in such close quarters feels like watching 'Big Brother' back in my first life. A few have gone crazy and needed to be… evicted. The sounds from below deck let me know Arianne and I, aren't the only ones desperate for any kind of hope.

"I've already been King and you know what I found out?" Leaning forward I whisper the words in her ear and smile when she shivers ever so slightly. "The throne makes people CRAZY!" I yell the last word into the sky so I don't deafen Arianne and laugh when she rolls me off of her.

"Be serious with me." She's not being flirty and I relent with a sigh.

"Sorry… I just really don't want that kind of responsibility again. I had half a million lives in my hand and one wrong move would have killed us all." A ship's crew is all the responsibility for others lives I want to take on.

"You wouldn't have any responsibility accept that which I gave you… if you came with me to Dorne that is." My heart skips a beat in shock, because even my dense head could understand such an offer. "Renly could even come for a visit. If what you say about him is even partially true, he'd find Dorne far more welcoming."

I know I should have kept my mouth shut, but we ran out of safe things to talk about by the second week… and what can I say, she's pretty darn persuasive when she wants to be. "How many warships does your family have?" How many lives am I going to be responsible for?

"Twenty five that fly the Martell sails normally and nearly sixty in times of war." That's actually not to bad… not even five thousand sailors outside of something like a Realm wide conflict and they all chose a violent life. "Now lay down, it's time to check you for Shalescale."

"You know that's not it's name." I roll my eyes but do as instructed. This moment right now is all I've ever wanted from life.

"It's less confusing than half a dozen diseases all being called Gray-something." She teases me and starts to drag her nails against my skin. "I'm the Princess here, since you decided to give up on having any title… I kind of make the decisions on this boat and I say it's called Shalescale."

I realize I haven't felt her touch since she finished with my upper back. "Are you done already?"

"What do you mean? I'm tracing my name on your left ass cheek right now."

"… You should probably stop and I should get dressed." I realize I'm today's lucky winner and push Arianne away when she hesitates. "I just want you to know this was the best time of my life and I'm never going to forget you."

She doesn't answer with words, only gut wrenching sobs that douse any fire left in my heart. I'm not getting anything but sorrow from now on and I can only hope this ends with me.

"I'll still play for you every night until you can go back on land." I show her my flute and carefully wrap it in cloth. "It sounds wrong, but I really hope this is the last time we're near enough to touch. I'm already losing the will to stop myself from kissing you goodbye."

Wait so Viserys has Greyscale now?

Wow, if I had a nickel each time an SI who gets Greyscale and has Ariane as a love interest I'd get two nickels, which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice.

Wait so Viserys has Greyscale now?

Wow, if I had a nickel each time an SI who gets Greyscale and has Ariane as a love interest I'd get two nickels, which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice.
Waitt really? I've avoided reading any Viserys fics since I started this one. I don't want to accidently steal ideas, so it weird this was a convergent one.

Waitt really? I've avoided reading any Viserys fics since I started this one. I don't want to accidently steal ideas, so it weird this was a convergent one.

I didn't mean Viserys specifically I was talking about SIs in general. I remember seeing one SI/OC on Sufficient Velocity, which had that. I don't remember it's name tho. The MC was inserted as Stannis' Son though.

My guess? He goes onto the other ship, everyone is dying either swiftly or just slow enough to suffer, suicide is rampant, etc. Eventually (once the other ship has no cases for 2 weeks), Vis and a crew of living dead sail off for the Sorrows, and set the funeral pyre once they arrive. He lays down waiting to die...but doesn't. Occasional-Fire-Immunity Targ power kicks in so the fire doesn't even tickle, it does burn the Gray Plague/Shalescale right out of him. So he's left floating in the ashes and tar, floating down a river a continent away from home. (He's also presumed dead and already said goodbye to loved ones, so maybe just rolls with the 'dead' thing)

On the other end of things, his PR is... uh, that's gonna hit different. now that he's 'dead' and went out in such a tragic way he's probably talked up around the kingdom. Hell, the use of Grey Plague/Shalescale paints the rebels in a terrible light, and they're going to be crushed hard so can't spin their actions into a better light.

Elaborating; this now-dead Targ (no longer any sort of threat to legitimacy) who crowned the king, brought the kingdom back together (with the marriage ties), is best friends (or pseudo-son) to multiple princes and Great Houses, who helped uncover this plot (the rebels at Summerhall) with Prince Renly, and prevented it from getting worse (ran into Arianne and helped contain the plague), and the tragic last love of the heir of another Great House (Arianne) who died of this self-same foul attack (grey plague), will be contrasted against these monsters (Shalescale) half-made of ancestral enemies (Wildlings, Ironborn, Blackfyres) that lost after attacking all the realm and doing as much damage as possible.

You barely have to spin anything to turn "The Tragedy of Viserys Targaryen" into a hell of a story. Which I suspect several major people might very well do, both for power reasons (strengthens the legitimacy of any Targs for anyone still looking to use one to take the throne down the line) and because of the younger generation actually, legitimately, loving the guy.

(Since this effort-post got big enough posting it on both sites)

I didn't mean Viserys specifically I was talking about SIs in general. I remember seeing one SI/OC on Sufficient Velocity, which had that. I don't remember it's name tho. The MC was inserted as Stannis' Son though.
Oh I think it was guns of dragonstone, or maybe son of mannis? I actually forgot about that.

My guess? He goes onto the other ship, everyone is dying either swiftly or just slow enough to suffer, suicide is rampant, etc. Eventually (once the other ship has no cases for 2 weeks), Vis and a crew of living dead sail off for the Sorrows, and set the funeral pyre once they arrive. He lays down waiting to die...but doesn't. Occasional-Fire-Immunity Targ power kicks in so the fire doesn't even tickle, it does burn the Gray Plague/Shalescale right out of him. So he's left floating in the ashes and tar, floating down a river a continent away from home. (He's also presumed dead and already said goodbye to loved ones, so maybe just rolls with the 'dead' thing)
)
Scale only kills children and turns adult into insane stonemen. But you're definitly throwing darts at the board.

On the other end of things, his PR is... uh, that's gonna hit different. now that he's 'dead' and went out in such a tragic way he's probably talked up around the kingdom. Hell, the use of Grey Plague/Shalescale paints the rebels in a terrible light, and they're going to be crushed hard so can't spin their actions into a better light.
)
I think even robert's hate for me will be gone.

Elaborating; this now-dead Targ (no longer any sort of threat to legitimacy) who crowned the king, brought the kingdom back together (with the marriage ties), is best friends (or pseudo-son) to multiple princes and Great Houses, who helped uncover this plot (the rebels at Summerhall) with Prince Renly, and prevented it from getting worse (ran into Arianne and helped contain the plague), and the tragic last love of the heir of another Great House (Arianne) who died of this self-same foul attack (grey plague), will be contrasted against these monsters (Shalescale) half-made of ancestral enemies (Wildlings, Ironborn, Blackfyres) that lost after attacking all the realm and doing as much damage as possible.
)
Just think of how the High Sparrow can spin it.

You barely have to spin anything to turn "The Tragedy of Viserys Targaryen" into a hell of a story. Which I suspect several major people might very well do, both for power reasons (strengthens the legitimacy of any Targs for anyone still looking to use one to take the throne down the line) and because of the younger generation actually, legitimately, loving the guy.

(Since this effort-post got big enough posting it on both sites)
Whether Viserys lives or dies, he's being used as a scapegoat/saint by anyone who can benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back