• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Ordinary Person Quest

Created at
Index progress
Hiatus
Watchers
Recent readers

I stand by what I said before about this being a bad idea.

I'm doing it anyway.

I'll warn you...

shaderic

An ordinary cat?
I stand by what I said before about this being a bad idea.

I'm doing it anyway.

I'll warn you all in advance. Updates will likely be short, planning in little supply, and quality low. The trade-off? Speed.

Until I get bored.

There comes a time in a man's life wherein he questions his life choices. Where he wonders what decision led him to this point. Was his fate his own fault, or simple happenstance? An uncomfortable series of coincidences, or someone else's bad day? Could you have stopped this somehow, or predicted the consequences of your actions?

After spending a few seconds contemplating this, you decide that no, there was no fucking logical reason for a god-damned high-school girl to jump off a building, explode in a sphere of blinding light and sound into a fetishistic costume (you refuse to say transformed) with a skirt that's impossibly short, and start then shooting beams and lasers made of hearts at purple skinned man who also exploded into a fetishistic costume with a skirt so short you don't even want to think about what you saw during the scant seconds the wind blew by.

Being a sane and rational individual, you know what you must do.

[ ] Run like the dickens you son of a bitch. There's lasers and explosions and MEN IN TINY MINISKIRTS here.
[ ] Get some Video Footage. No one will believe you anyway, but maybe it'll help convince you that you weren't slipped hallucinogens.
[X] Absolute. Zero. Fucks. Ignore them. They're not here. They don't exist. You're clearly hallucinating. Continue business as normal.
[ ] You should actually... [Write in]

There is no logical response to this situation.

So, like anybody confronted with absolutely insane bullshit, you deign to treat this like it exactly as it appears.

As something that you honest to god have no reason to care about. They're not fighting you, they're not aiming for anyone in the crowd. The property damage is being kept to a minimum.

You just keep your head down and keep walking down the street just like every body else... Which is when you start noticing other things. Forcibly ignoring the fight that's totally not happening at all, you take stock of the crowd. The unfocused eyes, the casual conversation, the vacant expressions.

The way heart-lasers come within a few feet of them and they don't react at all. It's like they don't see it. Concrete shatters and spiderwebs of cracks pour through the cement, but no one even stumbles. They just part around the worst parts like water, not even realizing what they're avoiding.

You keep walking, eyes open and alert, until you reach the corner and turn, leaving the battle out of site.

And then, you just keep walking, all casual like. You see a few things too big to be birds fly in the air. An impossibly muscled man wearing a shirt that might as well be painted on, reclines atop a semi rolling down the street. And in the park, an elf girl in a business suit is feeding ducks.

[ ] Just go home. You're done. You out of fucks. You just want to go to sleep and forget about this wacky bullshit.
[ ] The Elf might have some answers. You've never even seen her before in your life, but today you've seen some shit, and she might know about it.
[ ] You require the oldest and most potent of tonics: Alcohol. It might not actually make things better, but you honestly doubt it could make them worse at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
[X] Run like the dickens you son of a bitch. There's lasers and explosions and MEN IN TINY MINISKIRTS here.
[X] You require the oldest and most potent of tonics: Alcohol. It might not actually make things better, but you honestly doubt it could make them worse at this point.

[X] Just go home. You're done. You out of fucks. You just want to go to sleep and forget about this wacky bullshit.

An elf girl feeding the ducks? Crazy flag alert!
You're not abandoning Ace of the Heavy Wind, right? ???

Last edited by a moderator:
[X] The Elf might have some answers. You've never even seen her before in your life, but today you've seen some shit, and she might know about it.

[X] The Elf might have some answers. You've never even seen her before in your life, but today you've seen some shit, and she might know about it.

[X] You require the oldest and most potent of tonics: Alcohol. It might not actually make things better, but you honestly doubt it could make them worse at this point.

[X] The Elf might have some answers. You've
never even seen her before in your life, but today
you've seen some shit, and she might know about
it.

Elves are generally believed to be very wise creature, accumulating centuries of wisdom and knowledge over their long lives.

Elves are also supposed to not actually exist, but let's just ignore that little fact right now, since reality as you perceive it today seems to drunk.

You take a seat next to the elf on the bench. She gives you a polite smile, before tossing some more bread crusts from her little paper bag onto the grass. A duck waddles up to it, gives you a brief considering glance, then gobbles the thing down. It's head jerks and wriggles as the long crust is drawn up into it's bill.

It's a good long couple of minutes you sit there, watching a herd, or gaggle or whatever, of ducks come together to indulge int the generosity of this strange pointy-eared woman. You notice her suit is of a fine cut, professionally tailored unless you miss your guess. It's likely that whoever she is, she has some influence. Or at least a lot of money to throw around. Your first impression could have a lot of important effects and consequences.

What you say next should be...

[ ] (Write in)

[X] Excuse me, miss...elf? May I borrow your attention for a bit? I have some questions....

Need some follow up. :V

[X] It's a nice day, isn't it?

[X]"It's a nice day, isn't it?"

"Indeed." The response is quiet, but authoritative. Whoever she is, she's certainly not lacking in confidence. More bread crumbs feed the ducks, and apart from the various sounds of quackery emanating from the ducks, things are relatively quiet.

She doesn't really seem to be paying much attention to you, beyond the usual amount one would a stranger sitting on the same bench. She keeps you in her peripheral vision, but is clearly more focused on the ducks.

You scratch at the back of your head awkwardly. Maybe you should have said something more attention grabbing, or been more direct about the fact that the entire world just seems to have stopped making sense. But, for all that you'd really like some answers, the surreal mundanity of the situation is at least calming you down. While you could just write off what you've seen so far as some kind of bizarre stress induced hallucination...

Her long ears twitch while a faint smile gives her face a cheery glow. A string of ducklings have been led out from the bushes, like walking balls of fluff with tiny bills and eyes. Yeah, you don't think you're crazy.

At least, you're pretty sure you're not. The ears are still there, after all.

[ ] Ask what an elf is doing in the city.
[ ] Talk about the Magical Girl Battle.
[ ] Aww, ducklings!

[X] Can I have some of your crumbs to feed the ducklings?

[X] Talk about the Magical Girl Battle.
-[X] While helping her feed the ducklings.

[X] Talk about the Magical Girl Battle.
-[X] While helping her feed the ducklings.

The ducklings are adorable.

They're like walking wads of yellow fuzz that hobble from place to place in a line making cute little squeaky noises. Their mom keeps a close eye on them and keeps her other one on you. Given that, food or not, you're huge compared to her and her children and a little terrifying to them, you suppose you can't blame them.

You end up passing a few moments explaining the insanity that just happened earlier today to the elf sitting next to you. The magical girl, the purple man in the miniskirt, and the fact that no one else seems to notice anything weird. She nods and patiently listens to your entire story before speaking.

"My, it would seem you've had an interesting day." Well, you suppose that's one way of putting it.

"What will you be doing next?"

Huh? Can't she tell you anything about what happened, or what's going on, or why no one seems to be noticing anything?

"I am an elf. Why would I know anything about young women exploding into frilly skirts and shooting lasers?" That's... not too bad a point, actually. "Although, I suppose I can tell you a bit about why you never noticed that sort of thing before."

You'd actually really appreciate that.

"Quite simply, most things that exist beyond the fringe of ordinary human perception do so through the application of a very specific magical effect. It's quite old, but it's very cost-effective to use. It is a simple charm that forces people to ignore things that others do not want them to notice." She tosses another batch of crumbs.

OK, so that's why everyone else didn't notice anything, but why are you seeing all this crazy stuff now? What made the charm not work on you?

"While very easy and cost-effective to employ, it has the unfortunate weakness to be broken by only the tiniest amount of extra-natural energy. Magic, psychic powers, powerful focus. There are a lot of things, really. Basically, if one is above what we shall call a baseline human in some way, then one can perceive past the effects of the spell."

So, this means you're supernatural or something?

She chuckles quietly. The bag is emptied now. With the air of a person who's done it dozens of times before, she flattens the paper sack and begins to neatly fold it.

"Unlikely. Having discreetly observed you when you sat down, I can declare you, with some authority I might add, to be a relatively normal individual. The reason why you can perceive is something else. It's actually becoming more and more of an issue in the modern world." The bag is now the size of a quarter, if a quarter were about twice as thick and made of tightly folded paper. "Tell me, are you familiar with penicillin?"

That's an antibiotic, right?

"Indeed. It can kill quite a great deal of bacteria and has allowed humanity to fight back against many diseases. However, it has been discovered that some strains are growing resistant. Indeed, a great fear is that some shall grow immune." She pauses, almost bemused. "Although I doubt you appreciate the comparison as much as a few of my relatives would, you are the disease that has developed an immunity to the antibiotic. Through simple continuous exposure, you have overcome a wall of supernatural power using simple biological adaptation."

She leans back and closes her eyes, quietly chuckling to herself.

You're... not quite sure how to take that.

[?]

[X] Introduce yourself and ask her for her name... be friendly-like

[X] Excuse me, miss...elf? May I borrow your attention for a bit? I have some questions....

Need some follow up. :V
What are you, a video game protagonist? :V

[X] Introduce yourself and ask her for her name... be friendly-like. Let the disease analogy pass without comment. See if she has any advice on surviving in the supernatural milleu you find yourself embroiled in.

What are you, a video game protagonist? :V
We might as well mutate to one. :V

[X] Introduce yourself and ask her for her name... be friendly-like. Let the disease analogy pass without comment. See if she has any advice on surviving in the supernatural milleu you find yourself embroiled in.

Ohai, this lives.

Ohai, this lives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back