• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Path of Glory (Original / Quest)

[ ] Answer the question for the girls.
---["I doubt it. He's too good to be a nobody, and he obviously has experience from somewhere. That doesn't mean he's a somebody though, of course.."] Your answer?

[1] The Witch's match
[4] The Order Knight
[2] The Students
[3] Why are they here

[X] Greet them properly.

[1] The Witch's match
[2] The Students
[3] Why are they here
[4] The Order Knight

[X] Greet them properly.

[4] The Witch's match
[5] The Order Knight
[1] The Students
[2] Why are they here
[3] So why are Witches wonderful? aka exposition time

Last edited by a moderator:
[X] Greet them properly.

[2] The Witch's match
[4] The Order Knight
[3] The Students
[1] Why are they here

Closing votes or so. It is a bit a landslide. So yeah. Update will probably take a bit/while due to rl end (also why the vote's been open for so long). Though, if you guys don't mind me splitting it in half I could try to get half of it up earlier. This is not a vote, this is more consideration for anyone who wants to discuss/plan/etc.

Poor fitz, sole write in vote. I'll give a cookie and just say that that would probably have came off as flirting....

Vote Called for: (by a landslide....)

[X] Greet them properly.
[1] The Students
-[2] The Witch's match
--[3] Why are they here
---[4] The Order Knight

-----​
[X] Greet them properly.
[X] The Students
-[X] The Witch's match
--[X] Why are they here
---[X] The Order Knight

"Hello Madam," you say as you step on over, nodding in the Witch's general direction, then again towards the girls, "and Misses. I was watching and do agree it wasn't a particularly fair match up. In both cases."

"... oh?" The Witch raises an eyebrow. "What of the other Order Knight's match?"

"His opponent isn't a complete nobody given that he capitalized upon the Order Knight's attacks and defenses," you say with certainty. "First, in their weapon exchanges, he forced the Knight back and laid into him to deliberately force him to take more desperate responses to buy himself a temporary respite so he could gather his thoughts and adjust his tactics." You gesture to the girls, as due proper since it wouldn't do to monopolize the conversation.

"There's also the limitation imposed due usual tournament regulations, area attacks are rather limited by it thus further impeding the Churchie's options," says Serianna.

The Witch and the girl with emerald colored eyes chuckle at Serianna's choice of term. "Agreed, not that it'd help him."

"Yes, after all, he further limited himself when he employed a smokescreen." Helion nods twice over as if assuring herself as much as stating a fact of matter. "He didn't expect his opponent to use the chance to employ more of his power in the match."

"Which effectively decided the match," you conclude. It should be obvious after all, right?

"Eh? How so?" says the girl your age. She appears rather thoroughly confused, what with her rapid glances between everyone present.

"Churchie, as the maid puts it," the girl with emerald colored eyes grins as she speaks, "couldn't keep up anymore at that point. His assumptions during the last bit effectively sealed his defeat."

"Then again, that isn't to say he didn't have any success," says the glasses girl, "he did get his opponent to reveal a bit more than what he was originally planning on revealing."

"The plasma lances," you state with near certainty. "That was the point where he shifted the extent he was willing to reveal."

Blinking, the Witch nods- slowly at first. "Correct on all accounts." She pauses and fixes you with a glance, as if making an analysis of you, before making a curt half bow- if a bit crude by your estimate- "My apologies for not introducing myself. I am Alina Wisten, and these are my fellow underclassmen."

"No, it's my fault, not yours," You shake your head. Sure you did remember basic curtsey, but never had many instances to practice treating non-nobles in the same manner. It simply isn't proper nor correct grabbing a servant or random commoner to practice on anyhow. A good learning experience this would be you note. Nodding, you work up a smile as you speak, "Victor Dallon."

It is not a mistake. Not a error in judgement. There is no need to introduce yourself as a noble in this situation. If anything, it'd likely cause deliberate alienation. An unofficial- or as you heard your Mother call it 'off the books'- kind of thing. The Witch seems to have already realized it though, which should've been obvious. You continue after a near pause, then gesture to your girls with you. "My maids Serianna and Helion."

Neither bother with a curtsy in any form or sort, instead opting for a quick and brief nod of affirmation. It's simple. Using the excuse that you already introduced them, they don't have to interrupt their observation of the surroundings and thus prioritizing your safety still. That's not to say they can't contribute to things, just some action would be a trade off between the two.

"Erika Nashile," says the one with emerald eyes. She makes but a small nod as if affirming she did introduce herself properly.

The girl with glasses makes a curtsy, but doesn't bother with holding it as she speaks, "Helen Luffle, pleased to make your acquaintance, 'My Lord'."

The Far Eastern girl stops with her mouth open while Helen grins at her reaction. Yup. You're pretty sure she did that on purpose. Though, Helen's tone appears rather mildly annoyed and expressed in her enunciation of the phrase 'My Lord'. On the other hand, Erika seems to be blinking as if making sure her eyes aren't... lying.

"... is it that surprising?" the words just slip out of your mouth.

"No, it's understandable why you wouldn't," says Alina. She sighs, "family matters speaks for itself after all."

"Helen, you had to do that didn't you," grumbles Erika. Pleased is the last thing her expression resembles.

"E...erm, my apologies-," the Far Eastern girl seems to have recovered her composure as she makes a hasty curtsy- a fact pronounced by having nearly attempted a bow instead- , "My name is Hana. My condolences!" She bolts up immediately after finishing.

... she never even said condolences for what. Which means she's likely ignorant of it all, unlike Alina and Helen. Though of the four girls, only Helen seems to be hostile about it. Hm... wait, Luffle? You think you might've heard or seen that name somewhere before, probably nothing important though.

"It's fine," you say, waving it off. That doesn't stop Helion from fixing Helen with a glare, but you leave it at that, as she makes no other movements to follow up on that. "Anyways, back to the match... you have my condolences over the match up."

As if on cue, Helion chips in immediately, "It's really a shame, your use of at least half a dozen curses and runes at any one point in the battle under the guise of nothing unusual being done while drawing attention of viewers towards the close range engagement. The fact the Order Knight simply abused exorcism and sheer brute force wasn't fair at all."

"Not a bit of grace that Churchie," Serianna shakes her head. "All brawn no brains."

On cue, you smile, "Exactly."

"... you noticed huh," mutters Alina. A faint smile forms across her lips.

"It was that?" Helen brings her right hand to her chin and furrows her eyes as if pondering over it.

The other two simply give rather confused glances at the four of you. Understandable as not everyone can 'see' it. Especially if it never gets off the ground due to being ended before it takes effect. Helen seems to be able to 'see' it, but not 'grasp' it, thus likely something different from your Innate Magic Analysis.

You simply nod without saying anything. That's not your call as you weren't the one that watched it, but Helion clearly had.

"Yes," she nods. She pauses for a brief moment as she seems to consider something. "Ambit, it is hard to tell if you don't know what you're looking for."

"Indeed," says Serianna. She smiles reassuringly at Erika and Hana. "Don't worry, it's a matter of experience."

Which, is not reassuring at all, to you that is. Sure you've read at least a story or two that claims such a feat... but the problem is... well in practicality, one would probably need plenty of experience- you're kind of sure of it. Or some other way. But purely experience doesn't seem likely at all.

"I-is it now," Hana seems to nod to herself, a hopeful look in her eyes.

...you pity her. Really. That kind of hopeful belief... the truth would hurt. Alas, there's only so much you can do about that without giving away some things. In a ways, Serianna and Helion's words are true, but far enough as well for your purposes. "Don't worry, all in due time."

Which is perfectly true. Question is if one lives and experiences enough to warrant it sooner as opposed to later. Then again, some books say things about learning such means anyways... so there's that too. Well, that's up to her to figure it out, after all managing that kind of feat on one's own is far more impressive and the sense of accomplishment... is supposedly great. You suppose you'd get to experience such a thing eventually.

"Well, let it be a lesson about brute force," says Alina, her tone slightly miffed. "At least the guy proved that skill is as much important as raw power."

"Indeed," you say with the straightest face you can manage. After all, it's a matter of manners, it's obvious to both of you that it's a face saving move to her underclassmen. Especially with regards to Hana. Giving Alina a knowing nod, you inquire, "Though I must ask... what are you girls here for?"

Alina closes her left eye while biting her lip. She sighs before speaking, "Well, our teacher's meeting with Lu-"

Helen coughs politely, but loud enough to draw Alina's attention.

"-someone here." Alina glances straight back at Helen with a mild annoyance over her face. "You brought up his identity despite the fact he wished to let it go unsaid. Yet, you have issue with giving any ground in turn to make up for it. That is but a sign of your immaturity."

It's not like Helen's pitiful attempt did much, but still. The act itself would be rather impolite in formal company, without just due reason of course. This wouldn't pass as a good reason in such a case as she didn't follow up on it. Nor had the position, circumstances, nor excuse to attempt to get Alina to say otherwise. Especially after her deliberate trouble making efforts earlier.

"And you girls are here to pass time and partake in the festivities?" you ask, feigning ignorance of the dispute between Alina and Helen. It isn't your problem per say, and you don't need to deliberately, knowingly throw fuel onto the fire. If Helen wishes to cause further trouble, you aren't responsible for her actions.

"Yes, that was the intention, until Alina here, decided to partake in this," replies Helen. She shakes her head, "in spite of seeing those Order Knights."

"Given the preliminaries had been switched to a free for all style battle, it seemed like a good idea at the time," says Alina in mock offense.

"I worry that you'll run such risk when such safeties are lacking, or absent." Helen doesn't seem that worried. In fact, she grins.

"Eh," Alina shakes her head and turns her attention back towards you, "Well, I suppose I should apologize for the... disappointing match."

You shake your head. "No, I should thank you for your efforts. It was interesting."

"Yes Senpai~," says Hana as she bobs up and down. "Cheer up!"

"Well, that just means we have to work harder," Erika shrugs, "right?"

"Yeah yeah," Alina smiles faintly, "Well, that's all I suppose?"

"Almost, though we'll have to cut it a bit short," you say. After all you did have one more question. "The Order Knights... why would they be partaking in the tournament?" You don't bother specifying a particular detail- there's no need after all.

Alina shakes her head. "My apologizes, I have no idea."

"I agree..., it's strange," admits Helen with marked hesitation. She frowns as she seems to ponder over it. "Information on when they joined up would probably be key to it."

Erika tilts her head slightly. "Weren't they already present?"

'-before we arrived'. You understand the implication. Of course, this means they know nothing about it. You'll have to check with the staff instead. Though the problem is, if it's worth pursuing it directly in such a upfront manner. The troubles of such things as befitting the status of a noble. Mentally sighing, you restrain yourself from rubbing your head over it.

"Erm, the doors...," says Hana, her hand pointing in the direction to your left, quite in the direction of the entrance.

The creaking and progression towards opening only confirms one simple matter. Time's up. Meeting up again isn't an impossibility, just difficult, in between rounds. Of course, you could meet them again else where, at some other time. Ah well, given Helen's end of things, there is still the odd, if remote off chance you'd see them again shortly anyways.

"I'm afraid that time's up," says Alina. She makes a quick curtsy and motions to the girls to follow after her.

"How unfortunate." Helen's expression says otherwise. Unlike Alina, she holds it for a brief moment. Even if she's a bit hostile, she at least makes sure to mind her manners- even if crudely.

"M-my apologies for earlier," stammers Erika as she apparently combines frantic efforts to make a proper curtsy... quickly, without any idea of how to do so in a formal manner. At least she didn't trip herself.

"It's been an honor." Hana makes a polite, practiced formal curtsy, her left leg sweeping behind her right while lifting the sides of the 'skirt' of her uniform outwards. Not a trace of haste, and a grace contrary to what her behavior would suggest. You do realize she's omitting a bit in her response as per your keeping your status removed from the meeting.

"It's been a pleasure chatting with you girls, I hope we meet again," you say, making a hasty nod- nearly resembling a half bow-, most completely accidental of course, and turn to leave with Serianna and Helion in tow.

You pace yourself, not too fast, not too slow. Of course, your gait is something you keep stable- even if you'd prefer otherwise. Appearances matter after all. You're not a commoner, thus its a luxury you can't afford... in public. Then complicated further as you are a male, of course. Oh well not all luxuries are good or worth the effort and cost.

---​

The booth isn't hard to find, though for sake of ensuring no problems arose, you let Helion take the lead. Nothing wrong with letting someone eager about it do it, right? Nothing much happens on the way back, aside from the significant increase in the number of people present in the stands- but nowhere near packed. Helion opens the door and steps aside, maintaining a curtsy as you pass through the door. "My apologies for being late, I hope I didn't miss anything?"

"No, you're on time Victor," says your Mother. "I was just 'discussing' matters."

You glance over at Arianna as you take to your seat. Yeah, she's... for a lack of a better word, a bit pale. "Is something wrong?"

"N-no," Arianna shakes her head frantically.

"Mother?" You say, blinking as you do.

"I was just making sure she understood a few things," says your Mother. "No cause for worry unless one's been... slacking off." She shakes her head. "But enough about that. I suppose your trip was enjoyable?"

"Yes!" ... Ok, that came out a bit too enthusiastically.

Your Mother just smiles at you. Knowingly, of the 'it's good you're so enthusiastic about it... but please remember where you are right now' sort. ... Whoops? She nods with mild exasperation.

Now she's just poking fun at you. But that's fine, after all, there's a first time for everything, thus... well, at least it's still in private company. You smile back at your Mother, then turn to Arianna. "I'm sure you'll live up to her expectations."

The color just drains from Arianna's face.

What? Was it something you said? Ah well, she's not saying anything about it, so it probably isn't worth wasting any more time over it.

With that, you turn to look outside the booth, in the direction of the surroundings before you... and the tournament grounds below. The stands seemed to have filled up quite a bit while you were chatting, though, it doesn't seem as full as what you've managed to wrangle out of the servants back home. Not crowded... but given due consideration of the strangeness of the marketplace earlier, you figure it's an extension and consequence of the potentially increased density of assassins before things go off.

Oh well. It's not entirely a bad thing. You manage to spot the Witches on the ground level, standing to the left of your vision and at the absolute front, directly behind the walls dividing the audience from the grounds themselves. Hana seems to be leaning on the wall with Erika trying to pull her back from it. Helen and Alina seem to be discussing something.

To the right however... you spot two sets of three meter empty space that was previously occupied by audience stand and between the empty spaces is but a single large platform of about one to two meters off the ground. The platform itself is about six meters wide and four meters long, with a overhanging canopy over it and screens extending all the way to the platform floor, on all sides. It's deliberately meant to obscure the Host present to oversee the results of the tournament. Of course, the blinds are the sort intended as a 'one way screen'.

You're somewhat sure that someone else is attending in Marquess Walfred's place. After all, as the new Marquess of Fairshire, he can't really afford to repeat his predecessor's mistake. That and you do recall overhearing some gossip regarding Walfred's ties with the prior and current Duke of Astral. As an additional note from what you came across on maps, the territory of Astral also goes by the Far Eastern name of 'Hoshino'.

Which makes sense, as the Duke of Astral is a Far Easterner. The title and position of Duke of Astral refers to the current head of the Kiyowara Clan, and since the Empire's formation, has always occupied that position. The current- and the second- Duke of Hoshino is the son of predecessor of the deceased Marquess of Fairshire. Yeah, it's complicated. The first Duke seemed to have been insistent about the titles being arranged in such a manner, though that's understandable as befitting of a traditional Samurai Clan from the Far East, with all the proper aspects brought along with them.

You sigh as you rub your forehead. It also doesn't help that, due reference to titles and Clan name a plenty, you're not sure what his name is. Oh well. If it wouldn't be rude, you'd probably just call him 'That one Marquess of Fairshire'. Because none of his predecessors were notable in any way or achieved anything of note.

Moving on from that, as there's nothing else you can pick out from that platform, you idly note that there is little else in terms of other changes. Well, that Far Eastern girl and her two friends seem to be in the section of the audience stands closest to the platform. The two dressed akin to knights seem to be discussing something, though their attention to the surroundings is little affected. On the other hand, the Far Eastern girl with them seems to be glancing slowly across the stands not immediately surrounding their location. Attentive aren't they? Oddly, or not, if you had to say how suspicious they seem... well, not at all actually when compared to most of the people around for the festival.

You catch a fleeting glance from the corner of your eyes. Immediately, you shift your attention. It's simple. A herald quickly running across the tournament grounds, out from the raised platform. The herald comes to a halt some distance away from the center of the field- likely just outside of the designated starting zone the round. From the herald's dress and appearance, it's not hard to draw the assumption that he probably has some experience with Alchemy. After all, it's cost effective to hire and keep on people who are experienced and capable in multiple areas. Well, aside from when it'd pose an issue when needing multiple tasks or duties done simultaneously.

A quick glance back at the platform reveals that the blinds have been retracted upwards, though only the side facing the 'stage' of the match. The angle isn't good enough to make out much, but it'd appear there's at least two guards taking up position in front to the right and left of the the Host's sides. You also spot a trumpeter whose purpose is but to relay commands with respect to the matches. There are also at least a few others present, but you can only make out one who seems to be- if not assigned the duties of- a healer.

At the 'stage' you see the Alchemist from before throwing his hands up in exasperation. Looking directly across from him, you spot the fellow from before. The Alchemist shakes his head and seems to be arguing with the herald. The fellow on the other hand just shrugs when the herald looks in his direction. Slumping slightly for a moment, the herald seems to make up his mind or so, before turning to face the platform before magicking a flat piece of metal with- as you can see through Innate Magic Sight- 'Eilons Asint wishes to forfeit the match. Sir Messer Lasforta has no objections to Asint's plea.'

The herald sulks after a moment and shakes sighs. You simply glance over to see if- 'Get it moving, the audience wants their show. It would not do to show our guests undue delays no? Besides, you have sufficient leeway is that not right?'- yeah, in other words, do your job right. After but a moment, the herald straightens up as he turns to the competitors. Then motions for the Alchemist by the name of Eilons Asint over. He seems to be having a private talk... or a bribe in sense.

Eilons nods a few times, then his expression seems to harden... then nods a few more times, more eagerly one could say. Well, this should end badly for the Alchemist. Not a gut feeling, more a vague feeling that you agree with: he's just going to lose all the more horribly than if he didn't try to back out earlier. Entirely his doing though.

Stepping back to his initial position, Eilons gestures to Messer and seems to say something. Messer merely shrugs in turn and motions to the herald to start the match. With reluctance- and apparent resignation, the herald motions for it to begin- with the trumpet drowning out whatever he was trying to say. Not that you'd hear his cries anyways.

Then, it starts.

Eilons materializes a halberd, his right hand gripped across its shaft. His free hand sweeping forth as he draws up a stance with his left foot forward- in tandem, a series of slim javelins speed straight across. A tap of his left foot, a fleeting gesture made more as earthen, no alchemical spikes radiate outwards before him, rapidly replacing the flat tournament grounds.

Messer merely rests one hand back upon the pommel of his sword as the javelins shatter into twenty pieces each. His other hand, sweeps across, a blaze of flames melts a solid line across the grounds, burning still after his hand comes to rest on the grip of the sword. Pushing forth- then Lightning Move.

Simultaneously, Eilons pushes forth combining Lightning Move with Accel Turn- moving rapidly across the spikes without fail.

As does Messer, forming an identical sword in his off hand. Immediate contact.

Eilons thrusts forth, Messer parrying left- striking from the right.

Asint kicks back, immediately raising a field of spikes as he lands meters away- cutting both Lightning magic immediately upon contact and employing Healing magic on his arms. Simultaneously, three dozen projectiles fly at Lasforta.

None of them reach and this time, you spot the magic. A high powered Shearing Wind Whip, and once again, Messer rests his hands back on his sheathed swords. No, that's not right, rather he used no magic with his strikes but used Shearing Wind Whip on top of it, a replication of a whip sword.

A simple realization dawns on you. It's simple, even if one can manage to execute attacks while using Lightning Move, needing to heal immediately after the first exchange while your opponent doesn't need to translates easily to your opponent's endurance being superior to yours. One shouldn't attempt it in the first place if one can't handle the recoil from the momentum taking hold instead of dissipating from stopping Lightning Move.

Oh. This is going to hurt. For Eilons.

Messer activates Lightning Move once more. Halfway to Eilons, he breaks into a zig zag movement with Accel Turn, easily evading Eilon's attempts at striking him with fresh projectiles made with Alchemy and backed by lightning Enhancement, thus vastly increasing their speed. Asint barely finished his Healing in time, his step back being seemingly a subconscious reflex.

Messer doesn't bother with anything fancy, dropping out of Lightning Move for a brief moment while firing off half a dozen Razor Gale- and moving immediately after once more, his capacity refilled for Lightning Move. He doesn't bother zig zagging now, as if he came to a resolution during their short exchange.

Eilons steps back again, pushing off forth immediately after with both hands on the halberd, with intent of cleaving Messer.

Messer deftly draws his right sword without pause. The pair clash- immediately his left sword shoots out from the right, driving into Eilon's halberd. But Eilon doesn't spin about as he nearly crashes a short distance away- his distance a combination of his own application of Lightning Move and deliberately taking on Messer's momentum.

Dozens of projectiles rain down upon where Eilon had been scant split-seconds ago- none made from Earth or Lightning. He activates Healing once more, forcefully recovering his legs first before his arms. Asint's halberd but lays unattended, its head split cleanly in half from Lasforta's strike. But Lasforta's already gone, immediately closing from behind Eilon.

Messer's strike never makes it. A six fold Alchemy made earthen barrier springs to life behind Eilon. Their shape, placement, and design combined make it difficult to realize that it isn't a single wall. The difference makes itself painfully known, as the first explodes outwards a fraction of a second before Messer's blade strikes it.

With lightning Reinforcement, Messer's arm makes it, protecting his eyes from the blast. Like planned.

Eilon immediately pivots on his foot, forming a new halberd in hand in tandem as he Enhanced it with lightning magic- dropping his earthen barriers immediately in sync as he swung his weapon in a manner akin to a 'roundhouse.

It connects. But not before Eilons piled Reinforcement, Enchantment, and Alteration upon it- right before it connected.

Messer was entirely pushed back to where he had been initially- but without harm, instead, landing as if his withdrawal was a calculated move. Eilon's stock follow up barrage doesn't even come as close, instead every shot cleanly missed Messer. Without interference.

In the same instance, Eilons breaks diagonally to another point, arriving near immediately. Dropping into a stance, he activates both lightning magics again and returns to his initial point before their first exchange- only to slide three meters away, his halberd clattering to the ground a meter away from Eilons's position.

Eilons had barely brought his arm up in time, forming a shield strapped to it a millisecond before both blades slice into his arm. If not for momentum, his arm would've be cut clean. He drops his halberd, his hand immediately moving to his arm, Healing magic flowing and recovering the fractured limb.

Messer withdrawals a meter from his strike as an array of spikes lash outwards. No, that's not it. He moves further back as the center of the tournament grounds erupts upwards, a miniature ragged mountain range in all its glory replaces the ravaged grounds. Each tip a razor sharp edge, meant in a manner to to skewer those upon it.

You frown for a moment as your view of Messer is obscured by the 'mountain'. For a moment.

The 'mountain' shatters from fourteen immediate cuts. Lasforta moving immediately through with Lightning Move and navigating with Accel Turn.

You fail to catch the magic used, having barely caught the use and timing of it. A technical limitation of your ability due physical limitations. However, the entire attack was heavily magical in nature not mundane like his earlier strikes. Still not entirely magical.

Then, you realize something further below. Below the tournament grounds. A dense rune formation exactly matching Eilons choice of positioning. In time for the grounds to go up in a blaze of fire. No, a torrent of flames engulfed by a localized hurricane- except lacking an eye- with the remnants of the 'mountain' devoured, transformed into a hailstorm of earthen derbies moving at lightning speed within it.

Not a single piece escapes the designated area. The winds fail to draw anything from beyond the margins set by the runes. The water and fire coexist, with the water superheated to an extreme yet without dissipating, and the fire without being extinguished. Messer is simply blotted out.

For only a brief moment.

As if letting the spectacle set in first, a certain figure, straight from the center of the elaborate setup, slams into Eilons from the front. Nothing stops his trajectory.

A loud crash. Immediately you bolt out of your seat and rush over to the edge of the booth and glance downwards.

As expected, Asint's collision was dented at the last moment by a hastily erected alchemical barrier- by himself actually. "... Worth it."

With that, he topples over onto the ground face first. The herald rushes over and kneels down to check. After a moment he motions in the direction of the platform and signals 'Match over. Please attend to injuries.'.

The trumpet blows once more, a different tune signaling the end of the round. At the same time, the healer hurries off from the platform and over to Eilons while the herald produces a small cart sufficient enough to pack carry Eilons, which he passes off to the healer.

As for the other…. His clothes mostly blackened, and charred in a few points, rather drenched, hair messed up, and partially covered in dirt and pieces of the 'mountain', Messer stood entirely unfazed from Eilons's elaborate final attack. If anything, he appeared to be half grinning and half frowning.

He turns and bows in the direction of the Host and holds it for a moment before proceeding off the field. But not before restoring it from its freshly molten state back to its prior, mundane appearance. As he walks off, Messer employs Alchemy on his own clothes, quickly replacing the mess, though his hair and body is… another matter entirely.

With little else in between, the competitors of the second part of the semi-finals step up. The same time you take to your seat once more. Of course, from the side nearest to you is the Order Knight that steamrolled Alina with brute force.

On the other side, is a gir- ahem, one who looks that age, dressed in simple leather attire with a rather oriental flair to it, but distinctly not Eastern, with shoulder length chestnut colored hair tied into a ponytail, and seemingly wielding a bow of some sort….

"A longbow," supplies Helion.

"Thank you, Helion," you say without diverting your attention towards the girl- ahem, lady.

Unlike Eilons, the lady has no issues with the match up, but takes up a position further away from the Order Knight. Without waiting for the signal to start, she readies her stance, though the lack of physical arrows makes it rather obvious.

The Order Knight simply draws his sword and seems to but ready to rush the lady. Not that it'd be a wise idea per say. A brute through and true. The herald removes himself from the general vicinity, just as the trumpet signals the start of the second match.

The Order Knight charges, invoking Lightning Move. Furthermore, he uses Reinforcement and coats himself with earth magic while employing Enhance on top of it to further strengthen it with earth magic.

Simultaneously the lady opens fire- a dozen, three, five dozen- each shot tipped to explode in proximity with the target and sped through and through with lightning Enhancement. Lightning Reinforcement is applied to herself as well, scaling her response to match the Order Knight's movements. Every shot resembles- no, is styled after arrows, and primarily makes use of fire, ice, and earth.

Every hit connects. But the Order Knight just plows straight on forth. His armor failing to crack, his sustained heavy use of earth magic enduring still. However, he barely progressed two meters- having dropped Lightning Move after the initial strikes.

The Order Knight lacks the capability to pull off Accel Turn or isn't willing to do so. In the former, it's easy to see how the match will turn out. However, that assumption is foolish as it can merely be a trick to get her to lower her guard, after all, it's normal to conceal one's full capabilities if one can afford to that is.

Seconds trickle by with little progress by the Order Knight. As a full minute nears, you notice the first signs of the Knight's armor wearing away. With little change to the archer lady's pattern and magic use, only a increase decrease in the amount of magic behind each shot. Given the sustained continuous rate of fire, you consider the possibility of both reaching exact limits before refreshing their magic.

Without pause, the archer lady halts her attack, releasing her use of lightning Enhancement- simultaneously, the Order Knight actives Lightning Move and charges- only for his target to take to the sky above him.

Using a quick burst of Lightning Move to her right, straight onto a Wind Platform, and switching to Swift Move to move from platform to platform in the air.

Releasing Lightning Move, the Order Knight visibly shakes his sword at the lady in presumably, anger. A moment after, he starts lashing out with earthen javelins while mostly positioning himself with short bursts of Lightning Move while changing directions in between bursts.

The archer lady returns the favor in kind, prioritizing shooting down each javelin in turn. The exchange lasts for a minute with increasing debris littering the tournament grounds. Neither slacken their shots while apparently regulating their use of their magic. Instead, both resort to lightning Enhancement of increasing power- each exchange increasingly more numerous than the last. A dozen, three dozen, six dozen.... It tops off at fifteen dozen shots per exchange.

Then the lady ends her Wind Platform. For a brief moment.

A earthen spike pit surges up from the tournament ground, its center positioned with below the lady- also obscuring the Order Knight from view.

Without pause, the archer lady deploys the Wind Platform again, cushioning her short free fall, her stance intact- immediately slicing the pit into thirty-six pieces- and dropping Wind Platform once more, repeating the process in rapid succession to safely land on the ground.

The Order Knight just stares at the spectacle. He doesn't even take advantage of the lady's descent to attack her- as his earlier ungentlemanly actions prove he isn't above doing so to win. It's understandable.

A lightning Enhanced Plasma Shear. If it weren't for your Innate Magic Analysis, you'd probably be as stunned. Instead of using lightning to form the plasma, instead she substituted in with fire and wind, with lightning used entirely to significantly augment the strike's speed. The combination itself isn't unheard of and the lady's was roughly 40% fire and 60% wind. But the extent she increased the speed of the strike... no, you're sure you likely missed at least some details of it due speed.

She doesn't attack the disoriented Order Knight, but seemingly gestures for him to continue. At least someone has manners.

Reaffirming his stance, the Order Knight raises an incline ending in a steep cliff several meters off the ground, charges straight forth upon the cliff with Lightning Move. It's simple, to intercept if the lady attempts to take to the air again.

Instead, the archer lady turns and uses a short burst of Lightning Move, repositioning to the right- turns and opens fire at the Knight's descending form. The first shot from the bow cracks the armor despite his earthen Reinforcement and Enhancement, the others doing little else except denying him use of Lightning Move- lest he escalate the damage done. But he shifts his body while falling, preventing a follow up hit on the crack.

One on the right shoulder. The second on the center of the back. From the lady's draw speed, she wasn't able to land a third in time. No that's not it.

The Order Knight forms a chunk of earthen rock, dropped in the direction of the lady. A scatter rain of earthen projectiles of negligible power- but sufficient to hamper- showers the field, hammering down wave after wave- backed by lightning Enhancement.

Ignoring the obstruction, the archer lady replies in kind with a blast of wind, nothing fancy, just straight brute force. Then immediately slipping into Lightning Move, repositioning herself thrice, accompanied by a blast of wind each time. Not for no reason.

Timing.

A moment before the Order Knight touches down, the lady blasts the latest rain of earthen projectiles- then Lightning Moves to point blank range, immediately cutting use of it. Right behind the Order Knight.

Before the Order Knight can react, She fires and concentrated shot at the already cracked region of the armor. Not once. Half a dozen times in a second. There's nothing to describe it, just raw fire, earth, and wind being formed into an arrow and fired in rapid succession in the same location while employing lightning Reinforcement on herself and lightning Enhancement on the shots.

As the last shot leaves her hand, she disengages, leaving a seven meter distance between them via Lightning Move. She holds her stance, but… the Order Knight doesn't move. His figure just stands there unmoving.

Seconds tick by.

The archery lady seems to edge backwards a step or two, slowly, as if considering the possibility of the engagement continuing. Likely, she doesn't wish to reveal more of her hand- after the more she reveals now, the less she has left against her next opponent. But it never comes.

Seeing no change in the situation, the herald hurries across the field and over to the Order Knight. However, he doesn't use any movement magic to speed himself across the field- not that he needs it. The herald's movements are quick, but not impressive compared to say, Eria.

As the herald reaches the Order Knight, the atmosphere he projects seems to turn… serious. No, it's more his actions are careful and controlled, as to not accidentally set off any potential reflexive movements by the Order Knight. His actions though, appear to sacrifice speed in favor of caution and safety. After all, it takes him at least almost a minute to finish examining the archer lady's unrepentant slaughter.

Then the herald backs away while keeping his front to the Order Knight. After clearing three meters, he turns and signals to the platform 'Combatant unconscious, match over.'

With a resounding echo, the trumpet signals the end of the second match, and the end of the semi finals. The crowd this time, is more responsive, with the majority of the audience clapping and cheering- though some of it sounds more vulgar than actual cheering.

The herald's job, isn't over yet however, as he motions for the healer and also to what appears to be a few assistants. They have to remove the Order Knight of course. On the other hand, the archer lady merely turns and bows in the direction of the platform, before making a half-bow the direction of the VIP booths and once again in the opposite direction. Then, she heads off to the sides as to allow the herald to patch up the field.

You then notice the Order Knight's fellows, three others, nearby on the field. Two of them having moved across the field and are carrying the loser off the field, though one of said two was the one that lost to Messer. The third, off at the side, doesn't look remotely pleased however.

With the incapacitated combatant out of his hands, the herald applies Alchemy to the field, raising a large hexagon shaped sign stand with a message printed on it, "The Finals will begin after a twenty minute break. It is subject up to an additional ten minute extension if requested by the Finalists."

Understandable, as a short rapid engagement would be taxing. Though, you think it's a bit less useful for Messer and greatly benefits the archer lady. Calming her nerves down and all you'd suppose.

The stand poses a simple problem for you. It obstructs your view of the Witches, somewhat. Though a quick glance to the side reveals the girl in a white 'shirt' and red whatever it is, and her two companions seemingly starting off from their position. Maybe they're taking a break. Maybe they're leaving.

On the other hand, the platform reveals no change, except the blinds being drawn down again. Oh well. And the healer being outside and seemingly… wait, why is Eilons next to her and seemingly- from what you'd presume- playing a patient still? The herald is about a short distance off from them and looks a bit resigned about it while the healer… you're not sure really.

As you consider things, you glance upwards at the skies- no wait a moment, you think you saw Eria off in the distance. Or someone that looks like her… which isn't likely. At all. Then again, it could be just hunger acting up.

Your stomach growls, as if somehow offended by that. Then again, what does that have to do with hunger?

With the amount of time you have on hand you… (Pick any combination of them. 1 Hour and 40 Minutes Remaining.)
[ ] Have one of the girls go fetch someone. You are a noble after all, it'll be fine…. (Takes variable amount of time for them to arrive.)
---Send whom? [Helion / Serianna / Arianna]
---To fetch whom? (Official Excuse required as a write in. Select only one. Note people may refuse if the excuse is poor.)
------[ ] Eilons Asint.
---------[ ] And maybe the healer too.
---------[ ] And maybe the herald too.
---------[ ] Or both of them too.
------[ ] The Far Easterner and her companions.
---------[ ] Or just the Far Easterner herself.
---------[ ] Or just her female companion.
---------[ ] Or just her male companion.
------[ ] The Witches.
[ ] Send one of the girls to get some food (Must account for anyone you fetch. Cannot be same girl sent to fetch someone).
---[ ] Send Helion
---[ ] Send Serianna
---[ ] Send Arianna
[ ] Chat with your Mother and the girls about the matches…
---[ ] Topics? (Write In.)
---[ ] Or something else? (Write In. Subject to GM approval.)

[ ] Or just leave the place. The Final match will be pretty obvious after all. (Cannot Take with any of the other, above options.)
---[ ] Go snack somewhere? (Write In suggestions?)
---[ ] Go to the Citadel Keep (Additional 1 Hour Cost)
---[ ] Go revisit somwhere you already went? (Provide reasoning.)
------OFF LIMITS:[/b Marketplace and Festival Stalls
------Acceptable: Household Blessings, The Fair Pet Shop, and Shops Area
---[ ] Go check out the 'Meetings of the Heart' shop?
---[ ] Go to the meeting place arranged with your Father?
---[ ] Go somewhere else? (Write In. Subject to GM Approval.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The worldbuilding is nice, the spelling and grammar are also pretty good. There are a few points where you could use a beta to correct, but in general its good quality writing.
You've made the characters interesting, and the setting has potential, though I'd need to see more before I make a definitive statement on that.
I do like the early start with the character, and that you've avoided falling into the trap of being too bogged down in the early years. I do eventually hope to see the 'glory' we're promised in the title!
Very much enjoying the nice large updates, I'm not a fan of small updates, it makes it hard to follow the narrative if you're chasing it from update to update.

Eagerly awaiting more.

Oh and also:
[X] Send one of the girls to get some food.
---[X] Send Arianna
Feed the hunger!

I'll be putting up a few info here and there on magics used... as I get around to them.

Note: The used magic are not referred to as spells due to the variable flexibility that can ensue from changes, difference in component uses to achieve the same end result, general flexibility, etc. And because there are ones that fall outside of being classified as a magic skill.

Elemental Lances\Spears\Javelins
Description: Taking form of their respective polearms, they are often employed with simplistic designs to minimize magic used while maximizing power. Due to the concentration of much of the power into the head of the weapon, or the entire lance segment- they retain much power behind strikes with minimal amount used to form their structure.

However, they are more often and well known for projectile uses instead. This variation is most noticeable with lances as their shape is compacted more so than the others. Their ranges respectively are short, short-mid, and mid. As they are meant as projectiles, their durability is reduced in favor of penetration and raw power.

Elemental Lance Type Magic
Minimum Required Skills: D Rank Elemental Magic + D Rank Enchantment
Fire Lance - C Rank Fire Magic + D Rank Enchantment (Note: B Rank Fire Magic if in cold climates. D Rank Fire Magic if in hot climates.)
Water Lance - C Rank Water Magic + C Rank Enchantment (Alternatively one is D Rank while the other is B Rank. Note: When near/over large bodies of water D Rank suffices for both.)
Ice Lance - C Rank Ice Magic + D Rank Enchantment (Note: In cold climates, D Rank Ice Magic. In hot climates, B Rank Ice Magic or C Rank Enchantment instead.)
Earth Lance - D Rank Earth Magic + D Rank Enchantment
Wind Lance - C Rank Wind Magic + C Rank Enchantment (Note: If windy, D Rank Wind Magic.)
Lightning Lance - A Rank Lightning Magic + C Rank Enchantment
Plasma Lance - C Rank Enchantment + one of: EX Rank Lightning Magic / A Rank Fire Magic / S Rank Wind Magic

Elemental Spear Type Magic
Minimum Required Skills: C Rank Elemental Magic + C Rank Enchantment
Fire Spear - C Rank Fire Magic + C Rank Enchantment (Note: B Rank Fire Magic if in cold climates. D Rank Fire Magic if in hot climates.)
Water Spear - C Rank Water Magic + B Rank Enchantment (Alternatively one is D Rank while the other is A Rank. Note: When near/over large bodies of water C Rank suffices for both.)
Ice Spear - C Rank Ice Magic + C Rank Enchantment (Note: In cold climates, D Rank Ice Magic. In hot climates, B Rank Ice Magic or B Rank Enchantment instead.)
Earth Spear - C Rank Earth Magic + C Rank Enchantment
Wind Spear - C Rank Wind Magic + B Rank Enchantment (Note: If windy, D Rank Wind Magic.)
Lightning Spear - S Rank Lightning Magic + B Rank Enchantment
Plasma Spear - B Rank Enchantment + one of: L Rank Lightning Magic / S Rank Fire Magic / EX Rank Wind Magic

Elemental Javelin Type Magic
Minimum Required Skills: B Rank Elemental Magic + C Rank Enchantment or vice versa.
Fire Javelin - Default listed. (Note: Increase Elemental Requirement to A Rank if in cold climate. Decrease one requirement by 1 Rank if in hot climate.)
Water Javelin - B Rank Water Magic + B Rank Enchantment (Alternatively one is C Rank while the other is A Rank. Note: Decrease one requirement by 1 Rank if near/over a large body of water.)
Ice Javelin - B Rank Ice Magic + C Rank Enchantment (Note: In cold climates, C Rank Ice Magic. In hot climates, A Rank Ice Magic or B Rank Enchantment instead.)
Earth Javelin - B Rank Earth Magic + B Rank Enchantment
Wind Javelin - B Rank Wind Magic + A Rank Enchantment (Note: Decrease a total of 2 Ranks between requirements if location is windy.)
Lightning Javelin - EX Rank Lightning Magic + A Rank Enchantment
Plasma Lance - A Rank Enchantment + one of: Lightning Magic / EX Rank Fire Magic / L Rank Wind Magic (Note: Generally impractical to use with lightning magic.)

Elemental Shear
Description: Elemental Shears are effectively cutting type magic used with an element in a manner to replicate a 'cutting' melee attack... at range. They are frequently used by the elements of Water or Wind, though Lightning is sometimes used as Plasma.
Minimum Required Skills: C Rank Elemental Magic + A Rank Enchantment
Fire Shear - C Rank Fire Magic + A Rank Enchantment
Water Shear - B Rank Water Magic + A Rank Enchantment
Ice Shear - B Rank Ice Magic + A Rank Enchantment
Wind Shear - B Rank Wind Magic + A Rank Enchantment
Lightning Shear - L Rank Lightning Magic + EX Rank Enchantment
Plasma Shear - S Rank Enchantment + EX Rank Lightning Magic (Alternatively: EX Rank Enchantment + One of: A Rank Fire Magic / S Rank Wind Magic)

Shearing Wind Whip - A variation of Wind Shear combined with Wind Whip that is tailored to use with a sword, effectively mimicking what one would call a 'whip sword' when its detached. As it uses Wind Magic, it is difficult to perceive through normal vision, but its offensive power is not particularly great and relies more on the strikes made from the sword.
Component Base Skills: EX Rank Wind Magic + A Rank Wind Shear + A Rank Wind Whip + EX Rank Enchantment + A Rank Enhancement
Additional Requirements: Must be wielding a sword.
Special Note: Power depends on and scales with physical capability and skill.

[X] Have one of the girls go fetch someone. You are a noble after all, it'll be fine…. (Takes variable amount of time for them to arrive.)
---[X] Send one of the girls to get some food (Must account for anyone you fetch. Cannot be same girl sent to fetch someone).
------[X] Send Arianna

[ ] Chat with your Mother and the girls about the matches…
---[ ] Topics? "So, mother, what were you talking to Arianna about? She seemed somewhat.. jumpy when I said she'd do fine with whatever it was."

Just a vote tally, though I will note, unless the update would turn out short enough, there will be no chances to fetch anyone or do much else before transitioning to the next match.

[5] Send one of the girls to get some food (Must account for anyone you fetch. Cannot be same girl sent to fetch someone).
---[3] Send Serianna
---[2] Send Arianna

[5] Chat with your Mother and the girls about the matches…
---[3] Topics: The lightning Enhanced Plasma Shear, and the complexities we missed. The subtle setup used in both the Rune Array by Ellons, and the curse and runes by Erika. And their difference in being able to execute them. Was it simply the matchup between them and their respective opponents? Or was the difference in practical ability between the two?
---[1] Topics: So, mother, what were you talking to Arianna about? She seemed somewhat.. jumpy when I said she'd do fine with whatever it was."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back