• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

PC hardware question

Highlord

Versed in the lewd.
Okay, my PC is a value box I got last Christmas after my old one bit the dust. Not paying attention when I got it from Newegg, I didn't realize it used an integrated GPU, an AMD Ryzen 5 5600G.

Now, the two games I play the most are really pushing it, and I'm leery of overclocking. There is a slot on the motherboard for a full-size graphics card, though. If I buy a new card and install it, can I override the integrated GPU to use the new card, and if so, how?

The short answer to you question is: yes, you can.

The long(er) answer is that, basically, the fancy graphics come out of where ever you plug in the video cable. If you do buy and install a PCIe card it will be used over the integrated graphics as long as you plug the monitor into it. There is something to worry about, however. If you do get a dedicated GPU then you'll need to make sure that your power supply has the correct cable. Specifically the 6/8-Pin PCI Express Cable. If it does, you're good, just plug it in. If it doesn't you're stuffed because you can't have any decent GPU anyway.

You say that the old PC bit the dust and that the new one doesn't have a GPU. It should be possible for you to just swap out the old GPU from your old PC, assuming it had one.

The short answer to you question is: yes, you can.

The long(er) answer is that, basically, the fancy graphics come out of where ever you plug in the video cable. If you do buy and install a PCIe card it will be used over the integrated graphics as long as you plug the monitor into it. There is something to worry about, however. If you do get a dedicated GPU then you'll need to make sure that your power supply has the correct cable. Specifically the 6/8-Pin PCI Express Cable. If it does, you're good, just plug it in. If it doesn't you're stuffed because you can't have any decent GPU anyway.

You say that the old PC bit the dust and that the new one doesn't have a GPU. It should be possible for you to just swap out the old GPU from your old PC, assuming it had one.
Went and bought a bargain AMD card. For a moment I thought I'd fucked myself, since I couldn't find the PCI/E cable, but looking around beneath the stupid shelf over the bottom quarter of the PC case, I found the cables bundled up and stuffed in a little recess. So, now I have much better performance and crisper graphics in the game I play.

Yeah, it's just a Radeon 6500XT, but it's a 500$ PC anyway. I neither need nor want it to be some top end rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back