• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Pokemon Dark Tidings

yes we broke through the third page for discussion.

so will steven personally go and get the onix or will he send it online.

tyranitar is a dark type pokemon and its pseudo legend same with deino line, and mc is trying to make a dark/ghost gym in kanto, but can a gym have more than one type, we know you can run pokemon who are not that type as long as they can use the move of said type

ghost and dark type pokemon

getting a houndoom, but he has a ghost marowak so he has a fire type

can he try getting basculegion, but it will be hard as you need the hisuian version basculin, which is basically extinct, but it is a ghost type so maybe there is a school alive somewhere hiding waiting for the mc to catch or he just catch the jellyfish for water type mons, there is the drfitloon line for flying types

there is the galarian corsola

frosslass
there is also the dreepy line

Chapter 6: Hello Darkness my Friend. New
Here's chapter 6: Hello Darkness my Friend.

Won on Patron again, beating out D&C by a few votes.

On suggestion of a reader, I'm going to be adding the list of Ezra's named Pokemon up here, so people don't have to try and figure out who is who every chapter if it's been awhile.

Cheshire - Haunter

Loki - Shuppet

Nyx - Spiritomb

Rider - Alolan Marowak

As usual, I do not own Pokemon or the associated companies that deliver material from it. I'm just playing in the kiddy pool, don't hurt me.

Enjoy!

Goldenrod, Johto, a few days after the Cherrygrove tournament.

Ezra descended from the sky on his Pidgeot, the wind rustling his hair as the sprawling metropolis of Goldenrod City spread out below. Unlike the quaint charm of Cherrygrove, Goldenrod was a bustling urban center, the largest city in Johto, known for its towering skyscrapers, sprawling avenues, and throngs of people moving with purpose through the busy streets.

It was civilization, and he already felt more at home just from seeing the city in front of him. Roughing it out in the wild really wasn't his favorite thing. Give him a nice hotel anytime.

In the distance as he began to land, he could spot the towering Goldenrod Radio Tower, knowing one day they'd be broadcasting his victories, his success, for all to see. He couldn't wait! He didn't want to just be somebody, he wanted to shake things up.

To begin with, making a gym with more than one specialty was going to be different, he didn't intend to leave it at just that. He wanted to make everyone both fear and desire battling his gym.

With Steven Stone onboard, although the whole thing still needed to go through the lawyers - financial independence was already sorted, now all that was left was to collect more Ghost and Dark Pokemon, and train them up to the proper quality, before taking the League by storm.

Pidgeot touched down gracefully in a small park near the edge of the commercial district, and Ezra took a moment to smooth out his clothes, ruffled from the flight. He patted Pidgeot's neck appreciatively, then returned the bird to its Pokeball with a quiet "Good job." The full extent of his communication with this Pokemon at this point.

He'd need to find a proper Dark Pokemon to fly with eventually, but he'd keep his promise either way to Pidgeot, he had no reason not to really. Pidgeot had been the MVP so far, getting him to everything he needed without him having to spend months walking like a plebeian.

He'd come to this city mainly for two things. And Goldenrod was famous for many more - the Game Corner, the Magnet Train, the Radio Tower, and of course, the sprawling Goldenrod Department Store - which was one of his two targets today. Ezra had done his research - this was the best place in Johto to stock up on TMs, and he intended to load up on the best ones he could find. He had money to burn, and no reason to wait.

He'd read some stories where people refused to use the 'cheat' of buying techniques, and he absolutely refused to be that stupid.

Could a Pokemon possibly create a more powerful technique if they did it on their own from the beginning? Perhaps. Even likely.

But that was ignoring the fact of how much training and finessing one could do with a Pokemon while not wasting time on that technique.

If he was to teach Rider Fire Blast. And it took him a few weeks to learn from scratch, even at an optimistic outlook - that would be a few weeks he'd only be focusing on that - for a possible percent or two of higher performance.

Or… He could learn the technique immediately, spend a few weeks perfecting it and his fire control, while also training on other things potentially - leading to a stronger overall Pokemon.

Which one led to a stronger Pokemon over its lifetime?

If he had plenty of time, then probably the first, but it would mean wasting weeks and months on simply practicing a few techniques from the ground up.

He intended to be gym leader, he did not only have his team which he had to train into powerhouses, but if he wanted to impress and showcase he had what it took, he also needed to begin gathering and training more Pokemon.

He needed to be ready to step in as a gym leader from day one to convince anyone he could do it. So with so many Pokemon he'd eventually have to split time between, that one or two percent of efficiency or skill, just wasn't worth it.

Besides, he had faith that his training could squeeze out that percentage in benefits in other avenues, like how he'd managed to get his 'mons Shadow Ball's to be much faster, denser, and more deadly.

As he thought it over, he made his way through the city, just enjoying the ambient noise of a proper city as he walked, heading towards the department store.

The department store was a colossal building, its exterior a mix of sleek glass panels and ornate stonework that gave it a modern yet not too artificial look. The large entrance was framed by stone pillars, and a steady stream of people flowed in and out, each one carrying bags filled with purchases. Ezra made his way through the crowd, weaving between groups of trainers, shoppers, and the occasional Pokemon, until he reached the grand entrance.

Inside, the Goldenrod department store was a hive of activity. The interior was large enough to fit a modern mall and well-lit, with high ceilings and polished floors that gleamed under the bright lights. A large chandelier hung from the center of the ceiling, casting a warm glow over the entire area. Escalators crisscrossed the open space, taking customers to different levels, while signs directed them to various departments: clothing, electronics, Pokemon supplies, and, most importantly for Ezra, TMs.

He made his way to the escalators, riding up to the fifth floor, where the TMs were sold. The floor was dedicated to all things Pokemon, with aisles filled with Pokeballs, potions, berries, and other essential items. But it was the large glass display cases filled with TMs that caught Ezra's eye. Behind the counter, rows of brightly colored discs were arranged meticulously, each one representing a different move. There were common TMs like Water Pulse and Thunder Wave, but what Ezra was really after were the more rare and powerful moves.

He could teach his Pokemon simple moves on his own, he felt. Especially with how smart they'd turned out to be. Rider had managed Iron tail quickly after all, and had already transitioned that towards Iron Head and Iron Club, all on his own, playing around with the energy during training time.

He wasn't sure if it was how much focus he was putting on having his Pokemon constantly work on better harnessing their energy and feeling it out - or if he just had very clever 'mon, that was behind that development.

He approached the counter, where a middle-aged man with a receding hairline and a friendly smile greeted him. The man's uniform identified him as the store manager, and his eyes lit up as he saw the look of intent on Ezra's face.

A retail slave knew the look of someone willing to spend money.

"Looking for some TMs, young man?" The manager asked, his tone friendly but businesslike. Only his eyes showed the greed for the possibility of a big sale, not quite to the level of animesque dollar signs for eyes - but not that far away from it.

"Yeah, I'm in the mood to splash some cash, old timer." Ezra replied distractedly, his eyes scanning the rows of discs behind the man. "I'm looking for the best you've got. I've got a lot of Pokemon to outfit, so I'm going to need a variety."

The manager's smile widened slightly, while his eyes grew brighter. "You've come to the right place young sir. We've got a fine selection here for all your Pokemon needs. Anything in particular you're looking for?"

Ezra nodded, his gaze settling on a few of the discs. "I'm definitely interested in Earthquake, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Fire Blast, Psychic, and Hyper Beam, to start."

The manager's eyes widened slightly, clearly very happy, especially since he'd added the qualifier to start. With the price of high value techniques starting at around 50 000 and up, he was making one hell of a sale today.

Ezra looked over the display, mulling over what he saw, "Add Drain Punch there too…" He muttered, mostly talking to himself. He had vague plans to get a Primeape and evolve it to an Annihilape, although it wouldn't be easy with the qualifier for that evolution. Drain Punch would fit as a move for the Fighting/Ghost type, allowing it to deal damage, while being healed back for fifty percent of the damage dealt.

He had a decent team as was, but as much as it would suck, the four on the team right now might not all make it onto his 'top' team in the end. It was all a matter of flexibility. His Haunter for example couldn't really do anything that special that his Shuppet or Spiritomb couldn't do as well.

So while buying, he needed to think of the future as well. He wasn't as attached to his 'mon as some trainers no doubt were, and as a future gym leader he couldn't be. Whether Cheshire stayed on the team or ended up one of the high level challenges for his gym, would remain to be seen - but with literal dozens of Pokemon needed to run the gym, he wouldn't be able to treat them all like they were his special babies.

Although Rider would probably keep a special place in his heart. Cubone's were one of his favorites after all, and being an Alolan Marowak now was just amazing.

The manager quickly gathered the TMs, stacking them neatly on the counter, almost vibrating with joy, although he also kept them out of reach until he saw the cash, not entirely stupid then. "You've got quite the collection here, young sir. Is there anything else you'd like?"

Ezra considered for a moment before nodding his head. "Yeah, throw in Toxic as well." It wouldn't fit all his Pokemon, but it was a good tool in his arsenal. "Add Giga Impact as well."

Hyperbeam and Giga Impact were both normal moves, but he'd have Dark Pokemon capable of using one or the other at some point, and Giga Impact might be possible for Annihilape to learn. Worst case and he couldn't find a good use for them, he'd give them as prizes for the opening of his gym one day.

He also adds about a dozen of more minor utility techniques, quickly pointing them out.

The manager took the discs out, and Ezra nodded decisively, "That should do for now. How much?"

The manager took a moment to tally up the price. "Well, you're looking at a substantial order here, Nine high-tier techniques, 13 minor ones... Altogether, that'll come to… 565,000 Pokedollars."

Ezra's expression didn't change, but inwardly he winced at the price. He had expected it to be expensive, but this was more than he had anticipated, then again he had chosen all the most expensive techniques. He leaned casually on the counter, looking the manager in the eye. "That's quite a bit. I'm buying in bulk here, giving you quite the windfall. How many of these do you sell a month? Not many, right? Surely you can knock the price down a bit."

The manager smiled, clearly used to this kind of negotiation. "I understand, but these are some of the best TMs available. We don't get discounts on them often." Which wasn't an outright no.

Ezra raised an eyebrow, playing it cool. "I'm sure you could make an exception, especially for someone who might bring in repeat business. How about 500,000 even?"

The manager chuckled softly, shaking his head. "500,000 is a bit too low for this order. How about we meet in the middle as a favor for a valued customer? 550,000." He offered.

Ezra considered it, making a face, how is that in the middle? He was getting a decent deal anyway, but he wanted to push just a bit more. He wasn't one to meekly accept anything, not when there was any chance to push ahead. "530,000, actually more in the middle, and I'll pay in cash, right now."

With the cost of the techniques, the guy probably saw one or two high end ones sold a month, until the end of the circuit where he might sell a dozen as trainers flush with cash rush to prepare for the Indigo League. This would probably make his year, so Ezra felt confident he could afford to push for the lower fee.

The manager hesitated, weighing the offer. Finally, he nodded. "Alright, you've got a deal young sir." He said, unable to hide his pleasure at the deal, and his windfall. "You drive a hard bargain, young man, a hard bargain indeed. Very interesting."

Ezra smirked, satisfied with the deal. He counted out the money and handed it over, having pulled a sweet million out of the bank before leaving Cherrygrove. He watched as the manager carefully packed the TMs into a sleek black case. Once the transaction was complete, Ezra picked up the case, feeling the weight of the discs inside. These TMs would be invaluable in strengthening his team in the future.

With his new TMs in hand, Ezra made his way back to the ground floor, his mind already strategizing how to best incorporate the new moves into his Pokemon's arsenals, including the ones he planned to catch in the future. As he reached the exit, he stopped by the information desk, manned by a young woman with a bright smile, an Eevee curled up in her lap, which perfectly led into his second target in the city.

"Excuse me," Ezra began, "I'm looking for an Eevee breeder in the city. I heard there's a good one around here, but I couldn't find an address when I looked online." Really the net is shit, gotta work on that when I have time..

The woman's smile widened, petting her Eeeve's head, likely a family Pokemon or caught in the wild, since buying from breeders were ridiculously expensive. "You must be talking about Aaron's family. They've been breeding Eevees for years. Their place is on the outskirts of the city, near Route 34. It's a bit off the beaten path, but if you follow the road out of town and keep an eye out, you'll find it."

Ezra nodded, making a mental note of the directions. "Thanks. I'll head over there now."

With his purchases secured and a new lead on finding the Eevee breeder, Ezra stepped out of the department store and into the bustling streets of Goldenrod once more.

Umbreon awaited.

Once he got his hands on an Eevee it was only a matter of time.

Shortly thereafter, Route 34

Ezra's footsteps crunched on the gravel road as he approached the Eevee breeder's ranch, the expansive estate coming into view as he crested a small hill on the outskirts of Goldenrod City. The ranch house was large, almost mansion-like, with a sprawling yard that extended far beyond what the eye could see. The property was surrounded by a tall iron fence, and as Ezra drew closer, he noticed the subtle but unmistakable signs of heavy security.

Cameras were positioned strategically along the perimeter, their lenses glinting in the afternoon sun. Trainers patrolled the grounds, although he wasn't sure if it was simply family members or hired security. It was clear either way that this place took its security seriously, and for good reason - Eevees were among the most sought-after Pokemon in the world.

Their potential for multiple evolutions made them highly desirable, and this ranch was likely one of the few places in Johto/Kanto where they could be obtained. Although the evolutions wasn't even their main sticking point he'd wager. Girls and women buying Eevee's because they were cute, likely accounted for the majority of sales.

Not everything was about battling.

Ezra couldn't help but smirk as he took in the sight of the ranch. One day soon, if all went according to plan, he'd be putting breeders like this out of business, or at least limiting their capacity to simply selling Eevee's for their cuteness to local women. His partnership with Steven Stone would allow him to mass-produce rare Pokemon evolutions, including several Eeveelutions that hadn't even been discovered yet.

Once that got rolling, buyers would flock to them, and even simple Eeeve's or known Eeveelutions like Flareon and Jolteon would be purchased from his farms, as customers got used to buying from him. People with lots of money tended to want to buy from the best - if nothing else for bragging rights about how their Pokemon came from the premier breeder.

The world didn't even know about Umbreon, Espeon and Sylveon yet. And despite the knowledge of how to evolve Eeeve's to Flareon and Jolteon, the amount of Glaceon and Vaporeon out there seemed of limited quantity. Evolution stones were not cheap. Weirdly enough he hadn't found anything on Leafeon, despite the evolution being exactly the same as the others, just with a leaf stone instead of fire/ice/water etc.

Well, he'd cash in on it all when all of Kanto and Johto would flock to his farm for all the rare Evolutions on sale. They could even afford to sell for lower prices to kill ranches like this, upping the prices once the competition was dead - thanks to the money they'd make on prism scales and selling Milotic's.

But that was for the future, and for now, he needed an Eevee - specifically, one he could evolve into an Umbreon. And for that, he needed to get inside and bully or bribe himself into it, as he doubted they had one for sale so easily.

Breeders likely had their Eeeve's sold before they were even born after all.

He approached the tall, wrought-iron gate that served as the entrance to the ranch. A small security booth was situated next to it, and as he neared, one of the guards stepped out to meet him, hand resting casually on one of the Pokeballs at his hip.

Ezra studied him critically, I could take him, he decided arbitrarily, mostly due to the fact he didn't like his face.

Weasely looking guys were generally weasels.

"Can I help you, brat?" The guard asked, his tone itching for an excuse to do something.

Ezra, who was beginning to tire of being called kid or brat by nearly everyone he met, forced a smile that might have had more teeth then what was strictly necessary for a smile. "I'm here to buy an Eevee," He replied, keeping his tone friendly but direct, for now…

He really didn't like this dude's face.

The guard shook his head, his expression narrowing in distaste. "Sorry brat," He said mockingly, not sounding all that sorry, "But we only sell to people who have pre-booked appointments. If you don't have one, I'm going to have to ask you to leave, or else..."

Ezra snorted, we? The man in a security booth at the edge of the property was like the equivalent of the minimum wage worker, hardly involved in the Ranch's business. We… Someone thinks highly of themselves…

Seeing the man's face redden as he fingered his Pokeballs more intently, Ezra settled for a more diplomatic approach. As much fun as it would be scaring the crap out of this idiot, or beating him in a Pokemon battle - that would likely end his chances at negotiating for an Eevee.

Ezra's eyes narrowed slightly even as he faked a polite smile. "I'm willing to pay extra," He offered, hinting that there was something extra in hand for him too, "I don't mind waiting if you have to clear it with the owner, but I'm not leaving without at least talking to him, there's a lot of money involved here…"

The guard regarded him for a moment, clearly weighing his options, likely wanting to kick his ass to the curb. The lure of money or the fear of his boss finding out he stopped a lucrative deal from even reaching the door likely kept him back. Finally, with a disgusted sigh, he gestured towards the security booth. "Wait here. I'll see if the boss is available." He muttered angrily.

Ezra nodded with fake pleasantry, watching as the guard retreated into the booth to make a call. He knew this wasn't going to be easy - people who ran operations like this weren't usually swayed easily. But Ezra was determined, and if there was one thing he'd learned in this world, it was that persistence often paid off. Or at least audacity…

Like any world based on a game or anime, never giving up wasn't just a decent character trait - it was an actual superpower.

After a few minutes, the guard reemerged, his expression sour. "The boss will be out in a moment. But don't get your hopes up - like I said, we only sell by appointment." He sneered down at him, his weasely face growing even uglier, "You'll be sent packing soon enough…"

Ezra nodded again, already putting the weasel out of his mind, his mind already turning over possible strategies. He knew from checking online before he came to Goldenrod that Eevees typically sold for between 100,000 and 150,000 Pokedollars for the unevolved kind, but he was prepared to offer significantly more if that's what it took.

He didn't necessarily need an Umbreon right now. But he damn well wanted one, and he didn't want to wait, now that he was flush with cash.

A few minutes later, the ranch's owner emerged from the main house. He was an older man, perhaps in his late fifties, with graying hair and a neatly trimmed beard. His eyes were sharp, and he carried himself with the confidence of someone who had been in the business for a long time. As he approached, the guard stepped back, allowing him to address Ezra directly.

"I hear you're looking for an Eevee," The man said, his tone measured and cautious. "As my guard likely told you, we only sell to customers with pre-booked slots. Our next available slot is over a year from now."

Ezra didn't miss a beat. "I understand that, but I'm willing to make it worth your while to push one of those slots back. I'll pay 200,000 Pokedollars for an Eevee today."

As a breeder, the man could easily tell one of his customers they'd get a later slot because unfortunately one of the little ones died or whatever excuse he'd need to make up. A wild Pokemon flew down from the sky and ate it would suffice as an excuse as well. Ezra just needed to push it until the man chose to go that avenue and lose maybe just a little bit of reputation.

The man's eyes flickered with interest, but he shook his head. "I appreciate the offer, but we have a reputation to uphold. People book slots with us because they know we're reliable. Pushing someone's slot back would damage that trust."

Not an unreasonable stand to take. But Ezra had seen that flicker of greed, of interest. The man wasn't as unwilling as he appeared, he had a price. Like most men did.

Arceus knows Ezra could be bought to do any number of things if someone was willing to offer a crazy enough price.

Ezra could see the man was tempted, so the easy choice was to tempt him further. "How about 225,000?" Ezra offered, keeping his voice smooth. "I'm not asking you to give up your reputation - just to make a small exception, this one time, slowing down things for one of your minor customers in return."

The owner frowned, his eyes narrowing slightly as he considered the offer. "It's not just about the money," He said slowly, almost drawn out. "It's about the principles of running a business. If word got out that we were taking bribes to move customers up the queue, it would damage us in the long run."

Ezra sighed inwardly. He was so close, but he could see the man's hesitation writ on his face. "I'm not bribing anyone," He totally was, "I'm just offering a fair price for a rush order." He pressed, trying a different angle. "Just push one person's appointment back a bit. They'll still get their Eevee, just a little later than expected. No one needs to know how that happened, and you make 300,000 Pokedollars today."

The man remained silent, his eyes locked on Ezra's. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, he spoke. "300,000," He said, his voice pondering. "If you can give me that now, today, cash in hand… Then we have a deal."

Ezra didn't hesitate. "Deal." He said, reaching forward to shake his hand.

With Hammer space bags, it had been easy transporting his cool million, although with his two spending sprees it would be down quite a lot.

The owner nodded, appearing satisfied with the agreement. "Wait here. I'll have one of the Eevees meant for sale in the next cycle brought out."

Ezra felt a wave of happiness come over him as he waited, keeping his expression neutral despite the victory he felt inside. A few minutes later, one of the guards returned with a Pokeball, which he handed to the owner.

Ezra gave him his cash, privately grumbling about how much easier an electronic transaction would be. But he'd been advised by the bank in Cherrygrove after he received his ten million from Stone, that most citizens and private businesses would not do large deals in anything but cash.

If you were dealing with the League or national corporations it was different, but Kanto and Johto citizens were slow to fully switch to a more modern convenience when it came to payments.

The older man inspected the money briefly before passing the Pokeball to Ezra, his Pokedex giving out a ding, as the owner sent over the verification that the Pokemon was now transferred into his ownership.

He needed to get himself some Porygons and begin to really build up the net a little, the more people that used it, the easier it would become to do business electronically. At least Steven Stone didn't live in the stone age…

Ezra took the Pokeball, feeling its cool, smooth surface in his hand. He could already imagine the possibilities this little Pokemon would open up for him, his first Dark Pokemon, Spiritomb was a mix and didn't count. "I won't say a word, pleasure doing business with you…"

I'll get that 300,000 back when I buy your ranch for a pittance when I run you out of business anyway, he thought somewhat callously.

He wanted it all, power, fame, influence.

And you didn't become a billionaire by caring about every little business you crushed on your way to the top. His evolution business with Stone wasn't his only idea either. Just the easiest one to get off the ground.

He had lived a life that promised to leave absolutely no mark behind, his passing likely even a relief to family and friends who'd had to see him suffer, or waste their time helping him. He would ensure everyone knew his name in the end.

The owner nodded. "Good. I hope you understand why we don't usually make exceptions like this."

Ezra gave a small nod, already distracted. "I do. Thank you for making this one." He muttered, looking down at the Pokeball in his hand.

He'd only let Eevee out at night from now on, training and befriending the Pokemon, until it was an Umbreon. Without seeing a single ray of daylight, surely it wouldn't take too long…

With the transaction complete, Ezra turned and began the walk back towards the city.

As the ranch house faded into the distance, Ezra couldn't help but grin. Today was a success, but tomorrow? Tomorrow would be even better.

And he'd continue to do that, improve his situation, day by day,

Until he stood at the top.

Unforgettable!

That evening, Goldenrod City.

Goldenrod City was alive with energy as the evening set in, the bustling metropolis glowing under the soft lights of streetlamps and neon signs. The city, known for its thriving commerce, had a way of drawing people in, making them forget about the world outside its borders. Ezra found himself enjoying the luxurious atmosphere as he sat in one of the city's finest restaurants, a place where the elite of Johto came to dine.

It cost more than it should, as any restaurant catering to the rich and famous, but he wasn't too worried about expenditure.

The restaurant itself was made to attract the snobbery of the ultra rich. Crystal chandeliers hung from the high ceilings, casting a warm, golden glow over the richly appointed room. The tables were draped in fine embroidered linens, and the chairs were upholstered in plush, velvet fabric. Waiters moved silently between tables, their movements smooth and practiced as they served impeccably plated dishes to the well-dressed patrons.

Ezra sat at a table near a large window that overlooked the city, enjoying the view as much as the meal before him. The food was exquisite, each bite a burst of flavor that spoke of the chef's skill. He had allowed himself this indulgence, knowing that with the money from his recent sale of the Crystal Onix, he could afford a little luxury.

He was midway through his meal, savoring a particularly tender cut of meat, when his Pokedex buzzed in his pocket, interrupting the peaceful moment. Ezra frowned, pulling the device out and glancing at the screen. His eyes widened slightly in surprise as he saw the caller ID.

Professor Oak.

Ezra hesitated, his finger hovering over the accept button. Oak was a legend in the Pokemon world obviously, the man responsible for some of the most important research in the field, and someone whose reputation extended far beyond Kanto. But the idea of talking to the vaunted professor was not something Ezra had been expecting, nor was it something he was particularly eager to do. He was enjoying his night, and Oak's sudden interest could only mean one thing - questions. And Ezra wasn't sure he was ready to answer them.

He let the call go to voicemail, slipping the Pokedex back into his pocket and returning his attention to his meal. But no sooner had he picked up his fork than the Pokedex buzzed again, the screen lighting up with the same name.

Ezra frowned deeper, ignoring it once more. He wasn't in the mood for this, not now, not here. But when the Pokedex buzzed a third time, Ezra let out a sigh, realizing that the professor was not going to give up so easily.

"Damn it," Ezra muttered under his breath. He couldn't ignore it forever, not without drawing even more attention to himself. He glanced around the restaurant, then made up his mind. If Oak wanted to talk so badly, he'd get his wish - but on Ezra's terms. He wouldn't be giving anything away for free.

He wasn't one of the adherents worshiping at his feet. Ezra's knowledge was pay to play. No freebies.

He pushed back his chair, standing up and leaving the table. The waiter noticed his movement and approached, but Ezra waved him off with a quick, "Just need to freshen up, I'll be back."

He made his way to the bathroom at the back of the restaurant, pushing open the door to find it blessedly empty. The bathroom was just as opulent as the dining area, with marble countertops and polished fixtures that gleamed under the soft lighting. Ezra stepped inside and locked the door behind him, ensuring that he would have the privacy he needed for this conversation.

A flicker of amusement ran through him at the thought he'd likely be the first person to ever discuss things with the Professor in a public bathroom.

With a resigned sigh he waited for the fifth call to start as he pulled out his Pokedex and finally accepted the call. The screen flickered to life, and the familiar face of Professor Oak appeared, his eyes bright with excitement and a wide smile on his face.

"Ezra Kassian?" Oak exclaimed, his voice practically bubbling with enthusiasm. "I've been trying to reach you all day! I hope I'm not interrupting anything too important."

All day? It's been like five minutes, chill a bit old-timer…

Ezra leaned against the marble counter, his expression carefully neutral as he pondered how he was going to play this exactly. "I was in the middle of something," He said, his tone polite but distant, as he decided he had no reason to be overly friendly. "What's this about, Professor?"

Oak's smile didn't waver, though there was a glint in his eyes that told Ezra the man was not easily put off. "Straight to the point, I see. Well, I suppose there's no use in beating around the bush. I've been hearing some fascinating things about you, Ezra. Specifically, about a rather unique Marowak you have in your possession - a Ghost-type, if I'm not mistaken?"

Ezra's eyes narrowed slightly. Of course, word had spread fast. He had known it was only a matter of time before someone like Oak caught wind of Rider, but that didn't mean he was ready to spill all his secrets. Drake probably blabbed about it, or the Orange League win going into the system might have also had his Pokemon entered, he hadn't stayed long enough to know the details.

"That's somewhat correct, although I suspect he's a Ghost/Fire dual type in actuality." Ezra said cautiously, dangling at least a little bit of information as bait to prepare the trap. "What about it?"

Oak leaned closer to the camera, his excitement almost palpable. "Even if it's not, a Ghost-type Marowak! It's unheard of! This could be a significant breakthrough in Pokemon science, a dual type would just make it even more exciting! I'd love to know how you managed such a transformation. Was it a special environment? A unique item? A particular training regimen?" A notebook and pen was suddenly in his hands, his mien almost manic.

Ezra resisted the urge to roll his eyes. Did this usually work on people? "Professor, with all due respect, I'm not inclined to share that information."

Oak blinked, clearly taken aback. "Not inclined…? But, Ezra, think of the implications! If we can understand how this transformation occurred, it could open up new avenues for research, for training. We could help other trainers achieve similar results, improve the bond between humans and Pokemon. This is important work, my boy!"

Ezra's expression hardened, if he disliked being called kid or brat, being called my boy was even worse... "Important work that could also ruin me," He said bluntly. "I'm going into business, Professor. I have several rare evolutions lined up that aren't even known yet, and if I start sharing all my secrets now, I risk losing everything I'm building. I can't afford that."

Oak's brow furrowed, his enthusiasm dimming as he listened. "I see. So it's about business, then." He paused, clearly trying to find the right words. "Ezra, I understand your concerns, but surely you can see the greater good here. Pokemon research is about more than just making money - it's about advancing our understanding, about sharing knowledge so that everyone can benefit. If you were to share your findings, I could sign a non-disclosure agreement. I wouldn't publish any of it, not until you're ready. I just want to know, to learn."

Ezra regarded Oak with a cool, calculating gaze. The professor's argument was sound, but Ezra had learned to be cautious. He didn't trust easily, and he wasn't about to risk everything on a promise, no matter how reputable the source. Whatever Oak said, the knowledge he had was the lynchpin of his business, and giving it to Oak in any manner, risked that business.

"What's in it for me?" Ezra asked, his tone sharp and direct, making no bones about it. What can you offer for me to take this risk?

Oak looked surprised by the question. "What's in it for you? Isn't the satisfaction of knowing you've contributed to the advancement of Pokemon sciences enough?"

A former champion should not be this naive, or is he playing me?

Ezra rubbed his fingers together in a gesture that was unmistakable, scratch, moolah, money. "Not really," He said, his voice flat. "You're asking me to take a risk. I'm asking what I get in return. If I tell you how I did it, how do I know it won't leak, even accidentally? How do I know I won't be undercut by someone else?"

Oak's expression turned stern, his earlier enthusiasm replaced by a more serious demeanor. "Ezra, I'm not in the habit of paying off trainers for information. That's not how this works." He chided.

Ezra shrugged, unbothered by the professor's disapproval. "Then how about a favor?" He offered, willing to grasp an opportunity. Rider's evolution likely wouldn't be a high seller anyway, so he could risk that one, for the right price. Only that one.

He wasn't entirely as unwilling as he played it. But pushing Oak where he wanted was a long shot, hence playing very unwilling from the start.

Oak's eyes narrowed. "What kind of favor?" His voice was definitely not as cheerful anymore.

Ezra didn't hesitate, striking for the jugular. "You put your voice behind me to become a gym leader when the time comes. Once I've beaten the gym leaders of Kanto and proven my worth, you use your influence to help push for my appointment. That's my price."

He hoped it wasn't too much to ask, since if he failed to even beat the gym leaders, Oak was off scot-free.

Oak's expression shifted to one of discomfort. "I don't get involved in that sort of thing anymore, Ezra. It's not my place to interfere in the League's decisions." He said, immediately dismissive.

Ezra nodded slowly, showing no disappointment, it had been a long shot anyway. "Then I guess we don't have a deal. But if you ever change your mind - say, after I've introduced ten or so new evolutions to the world - let me know." He said with a bit of a smirk, "Although this deal would only be for one evolution, or course."

Oak looked conflicted, his mouth opening as if to say something more, but then he closed it, a frown settling on his face. "You're an odd boy, Ezra," He said, his tone gruff. "I'm not used to this kind of negotiation."

Ezra smiled faintly, a hint of amusement in his eyes. "You learn something new everyday, Professor. We all have to adapt to survive and grow."

Oak sighed, his shoulders slumping slightly. "Well, I suppose this conversation is over for now. But remember, Ezra - knowledge is meant to be shared. Don't lose sight of that, profit is one thing, to a point, but the world needs knowledge to be spread around and shared."

Ezra dearly wanted to point out that when Oak had invented the Pokedex, he sure as hell hadn't shared it for free with the other Professors, the League, or anyone else, his recent research being performed partly from the profit of the sale of the machines. Calling him a hypocrite probably won't have him crawling back and offering that favor later… So I'd better not.

Ezra gave a slight nod to show he'd heard the man, showing none of his thoughts. "I'll keep that in mind. Goodbye, Professor."

He ended the call, the screen going dark as the connection severed. For a moment, Ezra just stood there, staring at his reflection in the marble countertop. The encounter had left him feeling uneasy, but he knew he had made the right decision. He wasn't ready to trust anyone with his secrets. There was too much at stake.

This wasn't the Anime where Oak was the nice old scientist always eager to lend a hand or some advice. This man had been a monster, and while softer now, could still probably tear down mountains. He did not want to become dependent on his generosity if he shared too much.

With a deep breath, Ezra slipped the Pokedex back into his pocket and turned to leave the bathroom. He had a meal waiting for him, and he intended to enjoy it - after all, he didn't get the chance to dine like this every day.

Although in the future… He would.

Perhaps he'd bring fine dining to Lavender himself…

Two days later,

The sun hung low in the sky as Ezra approached the Ruins of Alph in Johto, the ruins casting long shadows that stretched across the desolate landscape. The ruins were ancient, their origins lost to time, and even from a distance, they radiated a palpable sense of mystery and unease. Unlike the vibrant and bustling atmosphere of Goldenrod City, the Ruins of Alph felt like a place frozen in time, where the past lingered just beneath the surface, whispering secrets to those brave enough to listen.

The path leading to the ruins was overgrown with weeds, the cobblestones cracked and uneven from years of neglect. Gnarled trees lined the road, their twisted branches reaching out like skeletal fingers, creating a canopy that filtered the dying light, making it seem as though the night had already fallen. As Ezra walked, he could feel the temperature drop, the air growing colder with each step he took toward the ancient site. A sense of anticipation tingled at the back of his mind, mixed with an almost primal caution.

He'd known about the Ruins of Alph thanks to foreknowledge. The ruins were the home to the enigmatic Unown, Pokemon that took on the shapes of letters and symbols. Ezra had no interest in disturbing the Unown. His goal was far more practical - the ruins' eerie atmosphere and dark aura made it the perfect place to train his Ghost Pokemon, and perhaps, if he was lucky, draw in some new additions to his team.

The closer he got to the ruins, the more foreboding the atmosphere became. The ruins themselves were partially submerged in the ground, as if they had been swallowed by the earth over centuries. The stone walls were covered in moss and ivy, and large chunks of the structure had crumbled away, leaving gaping holes that hinted at the labyrinthine tunnels and chambers below. Strange symbols were etched into the stones, some of them worn and faded, while others looked as though they had been carved only yesterday. The entire area was suffused with a sense of dread, as though the very air was thick with the weight of ancient secrets.

Ezra stopped at the edge of the ruins, taking in the sight before him. He could feel his pulse quicken, not out of fear, but out of excitement. This was exactly the kind of place he had been looking for - a place where the boundary between the world of the living and the world of the dead seemed thin, where the veil that separated reality from the unknown was almost transparent.

"This will do nicely," He muttered to himself, his voice low. He could already feel the stirrings of something deep within him, a connection to the dark that had always been a part of him since he arrived on this world.

He found a small clearing just outside the ruins, far enough away to avoid any unwanted attention but close enough to feel the pulse of the ancient energies that lingered here. The ground was uneven, with patches of dead grass and exposed roots, but it was flat enough for his purposes.

Ezra began by releasing his Pokemon from their Pokeballs, one by one. First was Rider, his loyal Marowak, who appeared with a quiet growl, its flaming bone club casting an eerie glow across the clearing. Next was Nyx, his Spiritomb, who materialized in a swirl of dark energy, its 'face' shifting and muttering floating above the keystone. Loki, his Shuppet, floated above the ground, its mischievous eyes gleaming in the dim light, while Cheshire, his Haunter, emerged from Ezra's shadow, its wide grin filled with sharp teeth. The Ghosts seemed to revel in the environment, their forms flickering and pulsing with energy as they absorbed the ambient darkness of the ruins.

Ezra kept Pidgeot and his newly acquired Eevee in their Pokeballs. This wasn't the kind of environment they were suited for, and he didn't want to bring the Eevee out in the daytime either. It would soon be night, but this was hardly suitable for a first training session for his new Pokemon, so he'd abstain until he was somewhere safer.

The air grew colder still as Ezra settled into the clearing, meditating on his shadow for a few hours as his Pokemon trained just outside the clearing, the shadows deepening as the last vestiges of sunlight disappeared beyond the horizon. The ruins loomed ominously in the background, their ancient stones bathed in the pale light of the rising moon. This was a place of power, a place where darkness thrived, and Ezra intended to harness that power to strengthen his Pokemon - and himself.

"Alright, let's get started," He said, mostly to himself. His Pokemon already knew their routines, already working at their techniques, their energy expenditure and efficiency, practicing religiously.

Tonight was more about him.

Ezra closed his eyes, reaching out with his senses, feeling for the darkness that was always just beneath the surface. It was easier here, in this place, where the shadows seemed almost alive, pulsing with energy that was ancient and primal. He focused on his shadow, willing it to move, to shift and bend to his will. Slowly, it began to respond, stretching out from beneath him, growing longer and more distinct until it no longer mirrored his form but moved independently.

The shadow rippled and twisted, and Ezra could feel a connection between it and the surrounding darkness. He concentrated harder, pushing his will into the shadow, trying to coax it into doing more. He had already learned to hide his Ghost Pokemon within it, but he knew there was more he could do - more he could learn. He just had to figure out how.

"Come on," He muttered under his breath, his brow furrowing in concentration. "There's got to be more..."

The shadow responded, shifting and coiling like a living thing. It stretched out across the ground, forming tendrils that reached towards the edges of the clearing, intertwining with the roots and stones. Ezra could feel the darkness within him, the same darkness that had allowed him to connect with Ghost and Dark-types, and he pushed that feeling into the shadow, willing it to become stronger, to draw in the power that surrounded him.

Nyx and Cheshire seemed to sense what he was doing and joined in, their ghostly forms flickering as they merged with the shadow, becoming part of it. The air around them grew colder, the shadows deepening further as the Ghosts lent their energy to Ezra's efforts. Loki hovered nearby, its eyes gleaming with amusement as it watched the spectacle, while Rider remained focused on its training, like the special boi he was.

Ezra gritted his teeth, feeling the strain of his efforts. He was pushing his abilities further than he ever had before, but he knew this was the place to do it. The ruins seemed to be a nexus of dark energy of some sort, and he could feel that energy responding to him, feeding into his shadow, making it stronger, more tangible.

He tried to push the shadow further, attempting to lift one of the large stones that littered the clearing. The shadow trembled, reaching out like an invisible hand, but it faltered, the energy slipping away before it could gain a proper hold. Ezra let out a frustrated growl, his fists clenching as he pushed harder, willing the shadow to obey.

As the shadow returned to its normal state, Ezra turned his attention back to his Pokemon. The Ghosts had been watching him intently, their eyes gleaming with interest. They always became more active whenever he'd actively use his shadow.

"Alright," Ezra said, his voice steady and confident. "Let's see if we can draw in some company." He'd practice more with his shadow lately, he felt pretty drained now.

He closed his eyes again, focusing on the dark aura that had always surrounded him. It was a part of him, something that had grown stronger since he had started training Ghost-types. It was more than just an affinity - it was a connection, a bond with the darkness itself - a bond with death, he assumed.

One of the benefits of having died, perhaps. And from what he'd seen, it drew Dark and Ghost types to him, even those owned by other trainers having a hard time taking their eyes off him.

Ezra let the aura seep out of him, slowly at first, like an invisible mist spreading through the clearing. The temperature seemed to drop further, and the shadows around him seemed to grow darker, more defined. His Pokemon, already attuned to the darkness, seemed to feed off this energy, their forms becoming more distinct, more powerful.

Cheshire floated closer, its wide, unsettling grin growing even more pronounced. The Haunter's hands crackled with dark energy, tendrils of shadow trailing from its claws as it drifted through the air. Nyx's face shifted into multiple faces, their expressions menacing, as if feeding off the eerie energy that Ezra was exuding. Loki cackled softly to itself, its normally mischievous demeanor taking on a more sinister edge as it danced through the shadows. Even Rider, the most grounded of Ezra's team, seemed more intense, its flame burning brighter, its eyes glowing with a fiercer light.

Ezra's heart pounded in his chest as he pushed his aura further, letting it extend beyond the clearing, out into the surrounding forest and toward the ruins themselves. He wasn't sure what he was hoping to attract - wild Ghost Pokemon, perhaps some Dark-types drawn to the power he was radiating. This place, so close to the ruins, felt like the perfect place to test his limits.

He knew places with an unsettling aura like these ruins would be rife with Ghost and Dark types. Just like they fed on his aura, they fed on places like these.

There was a reason these types were found in ruins, desolated lands, and places like Lavender, and not just in any patch of tall grass. Hence also why most people didn't have the capability of training them or the wish to try. They had a bit of a bad reputation.

He imagined the aura as a net, cast wide to snare anything that might be lurking in the shadows. The forest around him was silent as he pushed himself as hard as he could, his breathing coming fast and heavy. The usual sounds of wildlife were stifled by the oppressive atmosphere he was creating. Even the wind seemed to hold its breath, waiting.

If he was drained of energy by working on his shadow, it was nothing to what he felt right now, feeling like he was expending his soul, or to quote Bilbo, like butter scraped too thin over bread.

Minutes passed, each one stretching out into eternity as Ezra maintained his focus, holding the aura steady. His muscles ached from the effort despite not being used. The tension in the air was palpable, like the moments before a storm breaks, and Ezra could feel the energy building, intensifying with every passing second.

Then, finally, he felt it - a presence at the edge of his awareness. Something was there, lurking just beyond the circle of trees, just outside the range of his vision. Ezra didn't move, didn't break his focus, but he directed his aura toward the presence, probing it, inviting it to come closer.

The presence hesitated, and for a moment, Ezra thought it might retreat. But then it began to move, slowly, cautiously, as if testing the waters. The air grew colder still, the darkness around Ezra seeming to thicken, to take on a life of its own as the presence drew nearer. Ezra could feel the tension in his Pokemon, their senses heightened, their eyes locked on the trees at the edge of the clearing.

And then, out of the shadows, it appeared.

A Duskull floated into the clearing, its single red eye glowing like a beacon in the darkness. Its body was shrouded in a tattered cloak of shadows, its movements slow and deliberate as it approached the edge of the clearing. The Duskull's eye fixed on Ezra, and for a moment, the two of them simply stared at each other, each one assessing the other.

He could sense more presences now, drawn to the clearing by the power he was radiating. They were small, flickering lights on the edge of his awareness, but they were there, watching, waiting. Ezra knew that if he pushed harder, he could draw them in, bring them to him. He could expand his team even further, strengthening his bond with the darkness.

But he also knew that there was a risk. The more he pushed, the more power he drew in, the harder it would be to control. He was already feeling the strain, the edges of his consciousness fraying as he held the aura steady.

But that was the point of this training, wasn't it? To push his limits, to see how far he could go before he broke. He had already learned so much tonight - about his shadow, about his aura, about the connection he could form with the darkness. But there was more to learn, more to discover.

With a deep breath, Ezra pushed harder, letting the darkness flood out of him, letting it seep into every corner of the forest, every crack in the ruins. The energy swirled around him, thick and suffocating, the air so cold it burned.

And then, the presences began to move.

They came from the forest, from the ruins, from the shadows themselves. A swarm of Ghost Pokemon, drawn to the power that Ezra was radiating. They moved like a wave, swirling around him, their forms flickering in and out of existence as they merged with the shadows.

A Sableye skittered through the shadows, its gemstone eyes reflecting the dim light of the moon. A Shedinja flitted in and out of his sight. Misdreavous and Yamask danced in the air. Litwicks and Lampents lit up the clearing. There was even a Mimikyu peeking around a tree at the edge of the clearing. His jaw dropped when a Dreepy floated into sight, his hand twitching towards a Pokeball.

He was beginning to suspect he was getting help from somewhere, because even if his aura was addictive, this was beyond his wildest dreams.

Ezra could feel them all, their energy feeding into his own, amplifying his aura, making it stronger, more potent. The darkness around him pulsed with power, the air vibrating with the sheer intensity of it.

But with the power came the risk. Ezra could feel the edges of his control slipping, the darkness threatening to overwhelm him. His mind was spinning, his breath coming in short, ragged gasps as he struggled to maintain his focus.

He had to pull back, had to rein in the power before it consumed him. I've reached my limit…

With a supreme effort of will, Ezra began to draw the aura back in, pulling it out of the forest, out of the ruins, back into himself. The Ghost Pokemon resisted for a moment, their forms flickering with disappointment as the darkness receded, but they didn't fight him. They understood that the moment had passed, that the power was no longer theirs to enjoy.

That's when he was surprised yet again, as from the darkness of the forest, emerged the Dark Pokemon that had apparently been silently watching, as the Ghosts approached him first.

A Murkrow flew in first, Ezra's gaze watching it hungrily. It was followed by several Houndor and Poochyena, a Skuntank, a Zorua and then a Deino.

Now he knew for sure, that some legendary was behind all of this, behind his appearance on this world. Because him just finding a Dreepy and a Deino, the Ghost/Dragon and Dark/Dragon like this - was impossible. Like not improbable and it would just be very difficult… No this was impossible with a big fat fucking exclamation mark, one did not just run into these two Pokemon side by side in the same small area.

He'd planned to spend the next six months searching for Pokemon in-between gym battles. This, this changed everything.

He'd need to buy some land somewhere and register a Pokemon stable, so that he could begin working on all of them, because the six Pokemon travel limit wouldn't cut it. Not by a mile.

This…

He drew a hand down his face, the hand shaking slightly, this was insane!

Most of these Pokemon shouldn't even be in Johto! He knew everything wasn't like the games, hence why he could find Pokemon in Kanto that weren't supposed to be there - but not to this extent…

Someone, something, wanted the Pokemon world shaken and stirred, and he was the catalyst.

Did it change anything?

No… He thought, watching as the gathered Pokemon just sat and enjoyed his aura, all of them perfectly docile, despite the fact they shouldn't be. Their typing alone said they should not be this comfortable.

He was going to shake the world up no matter what. So what if someone was helping him along?

There would be a cost. There always was, but…

He looked at the gathering of Pokemon in front of him. The cost would surely be worth this…

He got his hammer space bag out, "Alright… I'm not even sure I have enough Pokeballs…" He eyed them all up, "Deino and Dreepy, you first." He said, voice only cracking slightly.

A minute later, he stared down at the two Pokeballs, fighting the urge to cackle. The Kanto circuit won't have any idea what's going to hit it when I'm ready!

"Alright, who's next?" He called out, a wide grin on his face.

The next morning.

Ezra woke to the soft light of dawn filtering through the trees, the ancient ruins of Alph looming in the distance. The night had been still and uneventful, the only sounds, those of the forest settling into its natural rhythm. He had spent the previous day pushing his limits, training his Pokemon in the eerie atmosphere of the ruins, hoping to draw in the dark energies that surrounded the place. Now, he was ready to continue.

Sadly his new captures were all locked due to the six Pokemon limit, but he'd fix that soon enough, he had enough money to register a stable, and certainly enough to buy a small plot of land somewhere for the purpose of slowly building them all up.

It would have to be a balancing act, as he couldn't spend too much time on whichever Pokemon wouldn't make it onto his final six for the League. Although this would massively improve his chances to argue for a gym, a decent chunk of Pokemon already available for gym duties.

After a quick meal, he packed up his camp and began his morning training. As the sun climbed higher, he corraled his Pokemon who'd been allowed free rein during the night.

Ezra worked his Pokemon hard, running them through their moves with precision and focus. Rider practiced his Iron Club attacks, the flames dancing as he swung with deadly accuracy. Nyx unleashed Shadow Balls, practicing on getting the speed and energy expenditure just right, the dark energy pulsing through the air as it targeted imaginary foes. Loki and Cheshire floated around the clearing, practicing their Hypnosis and Confuse Ray techniques, the air shimmering with their ghostly power, playfully trying to catch each other at times.

But as the morning wore on, Ezra began to feel a sense of unease, like a warning. It started as a prickling at the back of his neck, a feeling that something was off. He paused in his training, glancing around the clearing. The ruins stood silent in the distance, but the forest around him seemed to have grown quieter, as if holding its breath.

And minutes later, an explanation arrived, as out of the trees, several figures emerged.

There were six of them - three men and three women, all dressed in the familiar black uniforms of Team Rocket. The large red 'R' emblazoned on their chests made their affiliation unmistakable. They approached with casual confidence, spreading out to form a loose semicircle around Ezra and his Pokemon, seemingly not worried, which told him they'd come prepared.

They'd known what they were looking for.

Ezra's eyes narrowed, and he subtly shifted his stance, preparing for whatever was to come. He wasn't surprised to see them - his reputation had likely started to catch their attention after the Orange Islands. But their timing was inconvenient, interrupting his training.

It was a bit surprising they'd tracked him to the ruins though. The city he could understand, as no doubt the terrorists had a presence in each city, but all the way out here?

Must be a Pokemon of some kind.

One of the men stepped forward, his expression amiable but with an edge to it. "Morning, kid," He greeted, instantly making an enemy for life without knowing it, a friendly tone masking something more dangerous. "We've been watching you, and we think you've got some real potential. Ghost-types, huh? That's not something you see every day. We could use someone like you in Team Rocket."

As far as recruitment pitches went, that was particularly pathetic, Ezra thought, keeping his face neutral. Ezra didn't respond right away either, taking a moment to assess the situation. He could feel the tension in his Pokemon, especially Rider, who was already gripping his club/staff tightly.

The Rocket members were trying to come across as friendly, but there was no mistaking the intent in their eyes. They were predators, and they saw him as prey - though they were sorely mistaken in that regard.

They'd really messed up coming after him somewhere with no witnesses. He'd have to hold back in public. Here? He could let loose.

"I'm not interested," Ezra finally said, his tone cold and dismissive. He had no patience for their games, and he wasn't about to waste time pretending otherwise. They might as well begin the fight now.

The man's smile faltered slightly, but he pressed on. "Come on, don't be like that. You're clearly not like the other trainers out there. You understand what real power is - Ghost-types are all about control and domination, about bending the rules. That's what we do in Team Rocket. Together, we could accomplish a lot."

Ezra's gaze hardened as he loudly scoffed at that pile of manure of a pitch. "I don't need your help, and I certainly don't need to join a bunch of petty criminals. I have my own plans, and they don't involve taking orders from anyone." He smirked cooly, "Especially from people who are the equivalent of pimpled teens flipping burgers in said organization."

The man's demeanor shifted, the friendly facade dropping as his eyes narrowed. "Watch your mouth, kid. We're offering you an opportunity here. It'd be wise to take it."

Ezra's expression remained impassive, but his voice took on a sharper edge. "I'm not interested in your so-called 'opportunity'. And if you think you can intimidate me, you're mistaken." He grinned with a hint of bloodlust, his Pokemon all backing him up, "If anything I'm suddenly looking forward to your brief lesson in not biting off more than you can chew."

One of the women stepped forward, her face twisting into a sneer that turned a decently attractive woman into looking like a horse faced housewife. "You've got a big mouth for someone who doesn't know what they're up against. Team Rocket doesn't take no for an answer, and if you don't wise up, you're going to regret it." She threatened, laying a hand on a Pokeball.

Ezra's patience had run dry, he was ready to educate them now. "I think the ones who are going to regret this are you… For a very short time anyway. You think you can just walk up to me and make demands? How about this - You all get on all fours and kowtow to me, begging forgiveness, and I won't have to show you why you don't mess with me."

The tension in the air was palpable now, the Rocket grunts' expressions turning from annoyance to outright anger. Their hands went to their Pokeballs, their intent clear. They were done talking.

"Big mistake, kid," The leader growled as he and the others prepared to release their Pokemon. "We'll show you what happens when someone disrespects Team Rocket."

But before they could act, something dark and sinister shifted in the clearing.

Ezra's shadow, which had been lying still at his feet, suddenly sprang to life, expanding outwards like a living thing as the grunts threw down their Pokeballs. The dark tendrils surged forward, and in the blink of an eye, they snatched the Pokeballs away, swallowing them whole into the darkness.

Ezra blinked, having just intended to rip them away, not aware he could swallow them up like that, but he didn't let his confusion show on his face, instead affecting a superior smirk. Perhaps last night he shouldn't have tried to pick up rocks, and just swallowed them? He'd have to continue to study what his shadow could do.

The Rocket members all froze, their eyes widening in shock as they realized what had just happened. Their first Pokeballs were gone, absorbed into the inky blackness of Ezra's shadow. Something they'd never encountered before.

Ezra smirked, his eyes gleaming with cold amusement. "Oh, did you need those?" He asked mockingly, his voice dripping with disdain. He could feel the power thrumming through him, the darkness responding to his anger, feeding off his intent.

The shadow continued to pulse, dark and menacing, as those of Ezra's Ghost Pokemon who weren't caught, emerged from its depths. A Haunter was the first, its wide grin even more unsettling as it floated forward, hands crackling with ghostly energy. A Misdreavous followed, its form shimmering with dark power as it hovered beside Ezra, leering at the Rocket grunts. Several Gastly darted in and out of the shadows, their eyes gleaming with malevolent glee, other Pokemon being spat out of his shadow, hovering around him, forming almost a cloak of pure Ghost Pokemons.

The Rocket grunts were almost paralyzed with fear, their hands fumbling uselessly for more Pokeballs. But Ezra wasn't going to give them the chance to recover. Not that they were a threat to him anyway.

"Let's show them what happens when they mess with us," Ezra said quietly, his voice laced with menace. For Team Rocket, there would be no mercy. He smiled at their fearful faces, "Don't worry, the demonstration will be very brief."

At his command, his Pokemon surged forward, moving with terrifying speed and precision - he kept his own Pokemon back, not wanting to needlessly blood them if it wasn't necessary. The Haunter was the first to strike, darting toward the leader slamming a Dark Pulse straight into his eyes.

Humans were somewhat resistant to Pokemon techniques through evolution over the years. But not that resistant. His skull exploded from the inside out, peppering his compatriots with bone fragments and brain matter as they screamed, hands fumbling for Pokeballs frantically.

The Misdreavous targeted one of the women, its dark energy coalescing into a powerful Shadow Ball that struck her full force. The blast knocked her off her feet, sending her crashing to the ground where she lay stunned and vulnerable, she could only scream in fear as the Gastlys all surrounded her and let loose, their techniques ripping her apart.

Of the other four, two were already running while the dumber types, the other two - finally launched Pokeballs.

Ezra lazily gestured towards the two Pokemon, a Muk and a mean looking Pikachu. "Deal with the sideshow."

Silly Rockets, acting like this is a match, you should have released ALL your Pokemon, and at least make it a challenge.

His four Pokemon descended on the two Rocket Pokemon, utterly defeating them, causing them to faint within just a few moves.

Meanwhile the two runners had perished, the Ghosts rocketing them back and forth between them like ping pong balls, using low energy shadow balls to do damage but not lethal damage, to knock the two back and forth. Like cats playing with mice.

He noted both had broken necks, purely by accident he suspected, simply from rough play. Which left the last two, as all the Ghosts converged.

Both of them fell to their knees, begging. "PLEASE! WE'VE SURRENDERED!"

Ezra made a show of thinking it over, before shrugging, "I'm just a kid, what do I know about this, I'll let the Ghosts decide." Too bad the leader died first and didn't get to hear that one…

The Ghosts descended with cackles, making quick work of the last remaining Rockets.

With all of them dead, it was like a dark film was pulled away from his eyes, and he stumbled slightly as he looked at what he'd wrought.

He turned around and vomited, holding his stomach as he expelled everything he'd eaten.

"Fuck…" He muttered, weakly.

He'd gotten carried away. While he wasn't opposed to killing Team Rocket members who'd surely hold no mercy for him, he'd never done anything like that before.

And he hadn't needed to be cruel, to that extent. He could have also just used hypnosis by sneaking his armada of Ghosts behind them - and they would have never figured out what happened.

"If I'm going to murder someone, it's gotta be my choice." He swore to himself, as he wiped his mouth with his sleeve.

I can't lose control like that… I've played too much with the darkness and my shadow, I need to explore a lot more… Carefully.

He'd gather up the Pokeballs, return them to the police, in case any of the Pokemon could be rehabilitated.

Killing Team Rocket members in self defense was legal, due to their status as a terrorist organization, so he wouldn't get in trouble.

Yet…

He looked at the carnage again, slightly green.

I don't need to be like that, I can be stronger than that.

1 week later, Pewter, Kanto.

Karen grimaced as she got a call from Agatha, she briefly thought of not answering, but Agatha could teleport and would no doubt come bend her over her knee if she did.

"I don't have any updates yet." She said immediately upon answering the call, stubbornly staring at the older woman, her arms crossed. Never back down, don't make excuses, she's like a sharpedo in bloodied water.

Agatha hummed, a crooked smile on her weathered face, "Oh dear, oh dear, no updates at all you say?"

Karen felt her blood freeze, no… He can't have done something else, he has to come by here! He can't do the circuit without hitting Pewter!

"You've been sitting on your pretty little ass this entire time, while you could have been doing m-your paperwork, and you have no updates at all, Karen?" Agatha said almost cheerfully.

Karen gulped, knowing she treaded in treacherous water. Those who knew Agatha knew that when she was a cold imposing bitch, nothing was wrong - that was just her default. If she was happy or cheerful though… Hide. Hide very far away. "A-ah, I mean… He has to come by here, I-I'm setting a trap!"

"Interesting." Agatha said, holding her head up so that her crooked nose looked down on her, "Very interesting. Explain to me however, child, why you're trapping Pewter, when the brats last known location was Goldenrod city, in Johto!"

Karen's brain stuttered to a full stop. She couldn't compute. It had NOT happened again. She refused that reality. He was not on a different fucking continent, AGAIN! "What?" She managed to weakly spurt out, knowing Agatha was waiting on an answer.

"The little brat Lance spanked Pryce across the arena yesterday." Agatha said, like that wasn't a huge piece of news to just dump unceremoniously on her, "Bah, so we have a new Champion, who cares." She waved a hand dismissively, "He did have the time to ask about our quarry who's apparently made the papers twice in Johto." Agatha's expression was intense as she twisted the knife in Karen's gut, mercilessly. Karen could feel her soul leave her body as the Ghost Mistress continued.

"Once in Cherrygrove due to his unusual Marowak Ghost evolution…" Agatha's face grew bigger on the screen as she loomed over Karen even across the distances between them, "I don't have a Ghost Marowak, girl… Why don't I have the boy with a Ghost Marowak at my fingertips right now?"

Karen only managed to weakly splutter, there was too much stuff in such a short time, just too much.

"Then…" Agatha said slowly, like she was enjoying prolonging Karen's suffering, "Then, he appeared in Goldenrod, with the Pokeballs of six Rocket grunts, the brat having taken down six terrorists. Naturally, Lance noted that fact down, asking about the Kanto native, gallivanting around Johto. Why aren't you in Johto already!?"

Karen yelped, immediately beginning to move with frenetic pace, packing her stuff up, "I'll leave right away!"

Seriously, what is this kid? The Orange League, unknown evolutions, fighting six terrorists? Can I even… Can I even take him in? She thought, as she packed.

Agatha clicked her tongue, "If you don't find him soon, I'll have to find an appropriate punishment, perhaps once he's my apprentice, you can be his." She hissed out, a devious smirk on her face, before she just cut the connection.

Karen changed her mind. She definitely could take him.

In fact, she'd take him down so hard he wouldn't even be able to look at Dark Pokemon ever again due to her actions, and he'd switch to a career as a Jigglypuff juggler.

She would not, could not fail again.

Her reputation depended on it.

Author's note:

So, this is obviously not going to be a normal Pokemon story. He'll still eventually be going through the Kanto gyms, but he'll also be building himself an economic power base,

Having died and been resurrected, in a dead teen's body, his affinity for the dark and dead is like catnip for all these Pokemon - that said, there's obviously a hand moving behind all this, because it's not that easy to get Pokemon.

Also, I am generally bad at pacing, and knew if I was going to spend several chapters chasing Pokemon, we'd be at 200k words before he could even begin doing something.

The team will grow and change for what he needs, the six Pokemon available for battles being swapped in and out for different gyms as he'll have more than six he'll train to be truly elite.

His proper team will be named, the other Pokemon will not.

This fic shouldn't get too super dark, (by my standards anyway) but yes, in some cases useless trash like Team Rocket grunts may end up dead.

Agatha haven't just upped and called him, because she wants to be in control of their first meeting, and in a phone/video call she runs the risk of him just hanging up on her.

Especially as by now she'd have the deets of what went down in Orange islands and knows he's a bit... Impolite.

Cheers

JollyHippopotamus

TFTC

Looks like Agatha will end up waiting a while longer. Does MC even have a travel plan? He's clear on what his goals are and he knows a bunch of spots where opportunity awaits... but the order in which he visits seems delightfully chaotic.

With Karen now once again actively chasing him I am hoping he stops to "smell the roses" or skips a gym. Her missing him again and again was really funny.

... would having her miss him in a crowd as he leaves the gym she just arrived at be rubbing it in?

The owner nodded, appearing satisfied with the agreement. "Wait here. I'll have one of the Eevees meant for sale in the next cycle brought out."
What a shame, I was hoping he would have a way to find one that would be attracted to his dark catnip, but makes sense for renown eevee breeder.
A Sableye skittered through the shadows, its gemstone eyes reflecting the dim light of the moon. A Shedinja flitted in and out of his sight. Misdreavous and Yamask danced in the air. Litwicks and Lampents lit up the clearing. There was even a Mimikyu peeking around a tree at the edge of the clearing. His jaw dropped when a Dreepy floated into sight, his hand twitching towards a Pokeball.
A Murkrow flew in first, Ezra's gaze watching it hungrily. It was followed by several Houndor and Poochyena, a Skuntank, a Zorua and then a Deino.
Let's go!!1 Deino, Dreepy and Lampents are upthere on my top ghosts (and Deino for darks). I'm soo looking forward to them being shown.
He got his hammer space bag out, "Alright… I'm not even sure I have enough Pokeballs…" He eyed them all up, "Deino and Dreepy, you first." He said, voice only cracking slightly.

A minute later, he stared down at the two Pokeballs, fighting the urge to cackle. The Kanto circuit won't have any idea what's going to hit it when I'm ready!
Give your balls to double D's (Deino and Dreepy).
The shadow continued to pulse, dark and menacing, as those of Ezra's Ghost Pokemon who weren't caught, emerged from its depths. A Haunter was the first, its wide grin even more unsettling as it floated forward, hands crackling with ghostly energy. A Misdreavous followed, its form shimmering with dark power as it hovered beside Ezra, leering at the Rocket grunts. Several Gastly darted in and out of the shadows, their eyes gleaming with malevolent glee, other Pokemon being spat out of his shadow, hovering around him, forming almost a cloak of pure Ghost Pokemons.
So how many pokemons has he in his shadow just chilling?
Karen's brain stuttered to a full stop. She couldn't compute. It had NOT happened again. She refused that reality. He was not on a different fucking continent, AGAIN! "What?" She managed to weakly spurt out, knowing Agatha was waiting on an answer.
Poor Karen, I feel pity for her when she shows up with her dark pokemon and they just ignore her, lmao.
"Then…" Agatha said slowly, like she was enjoying prolonging Karen's suffering, "Then, he appeared in Goldenrod, with the Pokeballs of six Rocket grunts, the brat having taken down six terrorists. Naturally, Lance noted that fact down, asking about the Kanto native, gallivanting around Johto. Why aren't you in Johto already!?"

Karen yelped, immediately beginning to move with frenetic pace, packing her stuff up, "I'll leave right away!"
...don't tell me he's going to be in Kanto now?
Also, I am generally bad at pacing, and knew if I was going to spend several chapters chasing Pokemon, we'd be at 200k words before he could even begin doing something.
I'm honestly glad we aren't going a slow approach, if you give MC strong attracting aura for pokemon then own up to it and utilise it, don't wishy washy it, which you didn't do, so props!
Thanks for the chapter, I look forward to the next one.

What a shame, I was hoping he would have a way to find one that would be attracted to his dark catnip, but makes sense for renown eevee breeder.

Let's go!!1 Deino, Dreepy and Lampents are upthere on my top ghosts (and Deino for darks). I'm soo looking forward to them being shown.

Give your balls to double D's (Deino and Dreepy).

So how many pokemons has he in his shadow just chilling?

Poor Karen, I feel pity for her when she shows up with her dark pokemon and they just ignore her, lmao.

...don't tell me he's going to be in Kanto now?

I'm honestly glad we aren't going a slow approach, if you give MC strong attracting aura for pokemon then own up to it and utilise it, don't wishy washy it, which you didn't do, so props!
Thanks for the chapter, I look forward to the next one.

He has over a dozen Pokemon just chilling day to day in his shadow, more then 12 less then 20.

Well... With him needing to set up a Pokemon stable now, he probably needs to return to Kanto for a bit to set that up, train a bit, before going back to finish his Johto Hijinks.

Eventually I'll have to have Karen catch up, but due to his chaoticness, she isn't having much luck, because really, he is traveling around in a extremely random pattern.

nice chapter thx for writing it
fun additions to the team and messing with team rocket ^^
will be interesting to see what escalation they will bring
poor karan going to sound like a crazy girl once she finally tracks him down

The world didn't even know about Umbreon, Espeon and Sylveon yet.

I don't think you can farm Sylveons... They need to have a genuine friendship with the trainer for Eeve to evolve into Sylveon. How you gonna make a friend and sell him?

There was even a Mimikyu peeking around a tree at the edge of the clearing.

MIMIKYU DESERVED BETTER I HOPE HE CAUGHT IT!

, a Zorua and then a Deino.

Zorua's are so cool, hope he catches that too...

Thank you for the chapter, eager to read the next one!

I don't think you can farm Sylveons... They need to have a genuine friendship with the trainer for Eeve to evolve into Sylveon. How you gonna make a friend and sell him?

MIMIKYU DESERVED BETTER I HOPE HE CAUGHT IT!

Zorua's are so cool, hope he catches that too...

Thank you for the chapter, eager to read the next one!

When you got a farm, it's easy enough to pay one of your employees who's only job is basically making best friends with a pod of Eeeves to make them Sylveon, maybe it won't always work, maybe it will. But he at least knows how so they can experiment with what works best.

Every Pokemon who was described in the chapter were caught yes.

Damn quite a fantastic lineup he got this time. And some rather blatant Legendary favoritism. I give good odds of it being the ghost noodle himself. Might want to start leaving a massive pile of cupcakes and such in front of a large mirror as thanks.

Wonder if once he has his stable set up and Zorua evolves if the Hisuin variant will start showing up from the resulting eggs due to the large amounts of Ghost TE saturating the place?

Honestly glad he caught the Mimikyu. Besides being the perfect Dragon slayer it deserves more love.

When you got a farm, it's easy enough to pay one of your employees who's only job is basically making best friends with a pod of Eeeves to make them Sylveon, maybe it won't always work, maybe it will. But he at least knows how so they can experiment with what works best.

Every Pokemon who was described in the chapter were caught yes.
Its still probably not a good idea. They are still Fae after all. And with this world being a bit darker well

Its still probably not a good idea. They are still Fae after all. And with this world being a bit darker well

I mean maybe, but if he got a dozen Sylveon out of it, Ezra would probably be okay if the employee is a little weird in the head after. He's selling them after all, not keeping them.

Besides that's what the experiments are for, figuring out the best way to get Sylveons to sell in a way that works.

You break a few eggs everytime you make an omelet after all.

Eeeh I don't think it would work at all. Sylveon would have a deep bond with the person that raised them, why would it listen to anyone else? I don't think any "friendship" pokemon can be farmed.

Eeeh I don't think it would work at all. Sylveon would have a deep bond with the person that raised them, why would it listen to anyone else? I don't think any "friendship" pokemon can be farmed.

And there you get one of the ways Ezra is just not like most Pokemon trainers/breeders, he's honestly not even thinking of that aspect of it.

Will it work or not? Only time will tell, although luckily he has plenty of other evolutions to sell too.

In all likelihood, any Sylveons would be sold to rich people as showpieces, not for battling or anything useful, so not being very attuned to their new owners or willing to listen might not even matter either.

But I admit it's definitely not going to be as easy as make Sylveon = profit.

Sylveons would be sold to rich people as showpieces, not for battling or anything useful, so not being very attuned to their new owners or willing to listen might not even matter either.
What people are probably alluding to is the possibility of any combination of:
+sold Sylveon pulling a Lassie
+sold Sylveon harming new owner (death possible)
+sold Sylveon dying of broken heart resting (Look, matey, I know a dead Sylveon when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.)

From purely monetary perspective, just giving Sylveon to Oak would be better because it's the most volatile evolution of the lot, does not work based on a convenient McGuffin (elemental stone) and the extra pay for the "friend" workers. Also, it's an Eveelution, so the lower pricing scheme applies, further reducing its appeal compared to other mon.

Last edited:
What people are probably alluding to is the possibility of any combination of:
+sold Sylveon pulling a Lassie
+sold Sylveon harming new owner (death possible)
+sold Sylveon dying of broken heart resting (Look, matey, I know a dead Sylveon when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.)

Ezra : I sold you a live one, not my fault you're so incompetent you killed/lost it immediately.

Ezra : I sold you a live one, not my fault you're so incompetent you killed/lost it immediately.
On one hand, sure.

On the other... if it keeps happening, it'll start impacting his rep.. and his profits. For the same reason he decided on Devon over Silph, people like to pay for shit that comes with a guarantee.

After all, imagine some kind of "sell a Pokemon, have it run back, sell elsewhere" scheme - very Team Rocket, no?

On one hand, sure.

On the other... if it keeps happening, it'll start impacting his rep.. and his profits. For the same reason he decided on Devon over Silph, people like to pay for shit that comes with a guarantee.

After all, imagine some kind of "sell a Pokemon, have it run back, sell elsewhere" scheme - very Team Rocket, no?

Might not go down quite that way, I might have to go wiki diving again, but I think Sylveons evolve by the eveee learning a fairy move and having decent friendship, not as high friendship level as Espeon and Umbreon.

So it might not be as completely against a trade. Although that just means he still has the same problem for the Espeon and Umbreon really who I think is high friendship day/night.

Either way that's something Ezra probably won't figure out himself. Perhaps he'll have to collab with Oak eventually anyway.

now he just needs a Tyranitar to fill out his ghost/dark pseudo legendary bingo card.
Maybe when he's camping out in the mountains where Tyranitar live.

I am also surprised that a katana-Honedge did not show up in that line-up at Alph Ruins. Perhaps he needs to settle in a battlefield?

Or have a good sword made then leave in said battlefield, plus aura, and see what crops up?

Chapter 7: Home away from Home. New
Here's chapter 7: Home away from Home.

Beating out D&C by an inch, we get another Dark Tidings chapter voted in by Patreon.

Although coming out this quick, I got D&C done this week anyway and it should be out shortly. It did come in third.

This is another chapter of more set up, no Pokemon fights here, although that should change next chapter.

Named team:

Cheshire - Haunter

Loki - Shuppet

Nyx - Spiritomb

Rider - Alolan Marowak

As usual, I do not own Pokemon or the associated companies that deliver material from it. I'm just playing in the kiddy pool, don't hurt me.

Enjoy!

The Indigo Plateau stood like a fortress at the edge of the world, nestled high in the mountains where the air was thin and the sky seemed close enough to touch. It was a place of legends, where the strongest trainers from all regions came to prove their worth, to battle the Elite Four, and to challenge the Champion.

The Plateau itself was a sprawling complex, built into the natural landscape with a blend of ancient architecture and modern facilities. The towering peaks provided a dramatic backdrop to the grand stadiums and sleek office buildings, giving the entire area an air of gravitas that few places in the Pokemon world could match.

Ezra arrived in the early morning, the sun just beginning to peek over the horizon, casting long shadows across the Plateau. The crisp, cool air was invigorating, carrying with it the faint scent of pine and the ever-present hum of activity that surrounded the League headquarters. As he made his way through the main entrance, he couldn't help but feel a twinge of excitement at the vista, mingled with a healthy dose of apprehension of what might lay ahead for him. This was the heart of the Pokemon League, a place where the most powerful trainers in the world gathered, and he was about to delve into its bureaucratic depths.

In a way it was ironic that he was here not as a Pokemon trainer, really. But as a landowner. He really hoped bureaucracy was streamlined in this world compared to his old one.

The Pokemon League offices were located in a massive, imposing structure at the center of the Plateau, its stone walls and grand pillars giving it the appearance of a temple dedicated to the art of battle. The building was abuzz with activity, trainers and officials moving about with purpose, their footsteps echoing off the polished floors. The interior was equally grand, with high ceilings adorned with intricate carvings depicting legendary Pokemon, and large windows that let in streams of natural light. The atmosphere was one of beauty and importance, but also of daunting formality - a place where everything had its place, and where order was maintained with an iron grip.

It was also clearly separated by the more Pokemon battles oriented business, and the business which was not, the doorway into the offices of the licensing bureau practically hidden in a corner of the grand entrance hall. A small plaque denoting what it was.

Ezra pushed open the heavy doors of the licensing office and stepped inside, his gaze sweeping over the bustling scene before him. He was here for a specific reason - to secure a stable license, a legal requirement if he wanted to house and train all of his Pokémon in one location. After spending several days scouting he'd found the perfect plot of land near Pewter City - a small, secluded area that would give him the privacy he needed - he had purchased the property for half a million Pokedollars. Now, all that remained was to navigate the labyrinthine process of League bureaucracy to make it official.

The fact was that with him having caught all the Pokemon that showed up for him near the ruins in Johto, he couldn't train them properly as it was with just a six Pokemon limit. The chances of him upping that limit right now were laid at approximately zero. So the other option was to find a location to create a stable.

Stables were used by a lot of trainers to take care of their superfluous Pokemon - most trainers catching more than six at some point, and not everyone able to send them home to be taken care of. The difference here was that he was doing this so that he could release all his Pokemon at this location, allowing him to train them all, instead of just leaving them all behind somewhere, or constantly rotating out Pokemon.

The waiting area of the office was a familiar sight to anyone who had ever dealt with government paperwork - a sea of uncomfortable chairs, a row of stern-looking clerks seated behind a long counter, and a giant digital screen displaying numbers that seemed to change at a glacial pace. It was a place where time itself seemed to slow, where the very air was thick with the scent of ink and the sound of impatient sighs.

In a word. It was Hell.

Ezra glanced at the screen and then at the slip of paper in his hand. His number wasn't even close to being called. He let out a resigned sigh, resigned to the reality that this was going to be a long day.

He found an empty chair and sat down, trying to make himself as comfortable as possible. The minutes ticked by with agonizing slowness as he watched the numbers on the screen inch forward. Occasionally, a clerk's monotone voice would call out a number, and someone would shuffle to the counter, clutching a stack of papers like a lifeline. Ezra had no choice but to wait, his mind wandering as the monotony of the office began to take its toll.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, his number was called. He stood and approached the counter, where a middle-aged woman with a stern expression and glasses perched on the edge of her nose awaited him. Without so much as a greeting, she thrust a stack of forms toward him.

"Fill these out and take them to window five," she said curtly, already moving on to the next person in line, "Make sure to take a ticket again." She added, making Ezra slouch slightly in pure defeat.

Whoever invented this system was wrong in the head.

Ezra took the forms and made his way to a nearby desk, after getting a new ticket of course, whereupon he spent the next several minutes painstakingly filling out each section. The forms were dense with legal jargon and required an absurd amount of personal information which he mostly had to make up, but he completed them with the kind of efficiency that came from years of navigating worse bureaucratic processes - those for disability benefits. When he was done, he gathered the papers and headed to wait for window five.

An amazingly quick thirty-nine minutes later, (not that he was counting) his number was called.

The clerk at window five was a younger man, but his bored expression and lethargic movements indicated he had long since lost any enthusiasm for his job. He took the forms from Ezra, barely glancing at them before stamping each one with a heavy thud. "Take these to window nine," He muttered, handing the papers back.

If that's all you needed to do, why couldn't the other lady have a stamp!? He wanted to scream, but knew that any such action would avail him of nothing in this purgatory.

Ezra just gritted his teeth and nodded, holding back a sigh as he moved on to the next line, grabbing another ticket. This process repeated itself several more times - each window representing a new hurdle, each clerk more disinterested than the last. By the time Ezra reached an actual licensing office, where his eligibility for the license would be reviewed, his patience was wearing very thin.

The clerk in the office was a middle aged man, with graying hair and a pinched bland expression that suggested he fit right in with this drab plain office of suffering - his name tag just said John, the name suited him, bland and impersonal. He adjusted his glasses as he looked over Ezra's paperwork with a scrutinizing eye.

"Everything seems to be in order," The man said slowly, as if weighing each word. "But I have a few questions before we proceed. You're quite young to be applying for a stable license. What's your background? Where did you acquire the funds to purchase the land?" All asked in a dry monotone like he really didn't care, but felt the questions needed to be asked due to protocols.

He bet the man took a shit according to protocols too.

Ezra kept his expression neutral, though inwardly he was bristling, his patience almost entirely at an end. He had anticipated this kind of probing of course, but it didn't make it any less annoying. "I've been successful in a business venture," He replied smoothly. "It has ensured financial stability. As for my background, I've filled out that paperwork already, and I should be in the system as well."

He tried to keep his voice as bland and formal as everyone here, knowing how petty little bureaucrats could be. He didn't want to risk anything going south because of his tone, or something equally idiotic.

The man's eyes narrowed, clearly not satisfied with Ezra's vague answers, but he also moved on to the next question, showing he didn't care, and this was all ticking off boxes on an imaginary check list. "And how did you come by so many Pokemon at such a young age? It's unusual for someone your age to have the resources or the experience to manage a stable." He said drolly, not even looking at Ezra as he asked, instead sorting paperwork.

Ezra resisted the urge to roll his eyes. "I'm resourceful," He said simply. "And I've had a lot of success in my travels. I've worked hard to build my team, and I'm fully capable of managing a stable. The paperwork is in order, isn't it? So can we move forward with this?"

Even knowing he needed to remain polite, he was beginning to seethe, hours in this place was driving him mad, and he needed to be careful he didn't ruin things at the finish line. He plastered a politely curious look on his face, wiping away the obvious annoyance.

The bureaucrat pursed his lips, clearly not accustomed to being spoken to in such a direct manner. He tapped the papers with his fingers, as if considering whether to press the issue further. "Your attitude is concerning," He said finally. "This is a serious responsibility, and I need to be sure you're taking it seriously."

Shit. He's that kind of bureaucrat..

Ezra bit back a sharp retort, forcing himself to stay calm. He was too close to let this slip through his fingers now. "I apologize if I've come across as dismissive," He said, choosing his words carefully. "But I assure you, I understand the importance of this license. I've invested a significant amount of time and money into this, and I have every intention of complying with all regulations. I'm ready to proceed, if you are."

Arceus save him from power tripping small minded bureaucrats.

The older man studied him for a long moment, as if searching for any sign of deception. Finally, he nodded slowly, albeit reluctantly. "Very well," He said. "But let me remind you, the six Pokemon limit is still in effect. You may only release all of your Pokemon within the boundaries of your stable. Outside of that, the standard rules apply."

Ezra nodded, though the reminder was unnecessary. He had done his homework and knew the rules inside and out. But he wasn't about to antagonize the man further by pointing that out. "Understood," He said. "Thank you for your time."

The man gave a curt nod and stamped the final approval on the forms before handing them back to Ezra. "Take these to licensing office B4 down the hall," He instructed. "They'll issue your official license and provide you with the documentation for your stable."

Ezra took the papers with a sense of relief, offering a polite nod before turning on his heel and leaving the office behind. The moment he stepped out of the waiting area and into the hallway, he felt a weight lift off his shoulders. The hard part was over. Now, all that was left was to finalize the paperwork and get out of this bureaucratic nightmare.

The actual licensing office was much quieter than the main waiting area, with only a handful of clients and clerks present. The woman behind the counter was efficient, processing his papers and issuing his license with minimal fuss. Within minutes, Ezra was holding the official documentation for his new stable, the culmination of days of planning and the oh so tedious paperwork.

He glanced at the license, a small smile of satisfaction tugging at the corners of his mouth. It had been a hassle, but it was worth it. Now he had a place to house his growing team, a place where he could train without restrictions, and a base of operations that would serve him well in the days to come.

It wouldn't do to keep all his eggs in one basket after all. Who knew if Lavender would pan out in the end? It was good to have a fallback spot. As for the expenditure, he never saw much point in the idea of having numbers in a bank account as the whole idea of being rich.

If you weren't spending it, what was the point of being rich in the first place?

Ezra didn't linger after he got his license. He had no desire to spend another minute in the oppressive atmosphere of the licensing offices. As soon as the license was safely tucked away, he made his way out of the building, the cool mountain air a welcome change from the stifling interior that had almost drained him of the will to live.

He didn't waste any time in taking to the skies. Pidgeot, who had been resting in its Pokeball during the ordeal, emerged with a powerful flap of its wings, ready to fly. Ezra mounted up and directed Pidgeot to take them back to Pewter, to the plot of land that was now officially his.

As they soared over the mountains, the Indigo Plateau receding into the distance behind them, Ezra wondered with some amusement, just how many places in Kanto and Johto he'd end up visiting before even fighting one gym…

He was definitely doing this whole thing in an unconventional way.

Agatha's office,

Agatha frowned as she stamped another useless document. How was it that changing out the Champion required her to do paperwork.

That nonsense had nothing to do with her. Although Lance struck her exactly as the type to have a dragon 'accidentally' eat his paperwork and then push the fix downwards. Shit always floated downstream - hence why she'd bothered with an apprentice - who would be the ultimate shit collector at the bottom of said stream.

Her computer pinged at her, and she peered at it with annoyance, until she saw that it was the notice a nice young man from IT had set up to ping her whenever anything mentioning Ezra Kassian popped up in the system.

She scooted closer, a finger stabbing at the computer screen as she almost lost all decorum. He's right here on the plateau! She noted his profile had several more Pokemon added, jolting in surprise at the ??? as the only identifier on some of them. Interesting…

She sunk into the shadows immediately, chair and all. I've got you now, boy! She cackled.

John was a simple man at heart. He didn't care for excitement, nor did he care for Pokemon, or Pokemon battles. It had made him an oddity, and ostracized him.

To young John's utter joy.

Because he hated people, so his ostracization was the best thing that ever happened to him.

When he'd found that the licensing bureau was hiring - despite the fact it was the Pokemon League, he'd been first in line. Strangely enough, despite the fact he entered the line twelve hours before they opened, his competitors never showed up for the interview, and he was hired on the spot.

It was nice boring work. And he got to make things difficult for people without having to actually interact much with them.

He frowned as he walked back to his office, a cup of coffee in hand - black, because sugar and cream was too exciting for a work day.

He didn't often have to deal with children. Or teenagers he supposed. Trainers rarely came here, and those that did, tended to be older by the time they were wanting to get a license for breeding or stabling Pokemon.

He could have kept the boy for hours with minutiae like he normally did - but he didn't like children much, and had decided it was better to just see him off.

He walked up to his office just as all light seemed to be sucked out of it, an ominous wind scattering paperwork as low eerie cackling was heard across the offices - people stopping what they were doing and staring in sudden fear.

Right in front of John, Lady Agatha of the Elite Four materialized out of the floor, Ghost Pokemon at her shoulders as the shadows themselves spat her out, no doubt finding her unpalatable, John thought, shivering at the sight of the wrinkly old monster.

"Where is Ezra Kassian!?" She said with a wicked smirk on her face, staring straight at John.

John dropped his coffee cup, letting out a meep.

He was pretty sure he was suffering from a heart attack.

That was most definitely too exciting.

Pewter city, Kanto.

Ezra soared over Pewter City, his Pidgeot gliding effortlessly through the crisp morning air. Below him, the city gave way to rolling hills and dense patches of forest, the landscape dotted with small farms and secluded homes. It wasn't long before he spotted his plot of land, a modest yet picturesque stretch of countryside nestled on the outskirts of the city, far enough from the main roads to ensure privacy but close enough to access civilization when necessary.

As Pidgeot descended, the full scope of the property came into view. The land was bordered by tall, well-kept hedges interspersed with low stone walls, not designed to keep Pokemon in, but rather to set the boundaries and stop any curious passersby from wandering onto the property.

The hedges were thick and neatly trimmed, a dark green contrast to the natural stone. Beyond the hedges, the land sloped gently downward, leading to a cluster of buildings that made up the heart of the property.

The main building was a sturdy, farmhouse-style structure with a slate roof and walls of weathered stone. It had a rustic charm, with wide windows and a large, covered porch that wrapped around the front and side. The building was more than large enough to house Ezra and provide space for indoor training sessions or Pokemon care. Adjacent to the house was a large barn, its red paint slightly faded by the sun, but the structure itself was solid. It was clearly designed for storage and the housing of larger Pokemon, with spacious stalls and an open area for supplies.

The plot had been a stable before, hence his interest in buying it up. It saved him the hassle of having to have something built on another plot - cheaper perhaps in the long run - but he'd happily pay a premium for something that worked now.

The surrounding landscape was just as ideal. Dark heavy forests stretched out behind the buildings, with the front side being open fields. A small pond gleamed in the morning light, its surface calm and inviting, perfect for if he caught himself any Ghost/Dark water hybrid Pokemon - or simply as a serene spot to relax.

The land was fertile, with plenty of room for expansion if needed, and it was clear that the previous owner had taken good care of it. Ezra could see the potential here - a place where he could train his Pokemon in peace, away from prying eyes.

As Pidgeot landed softly in the dirt path leading to the farmhouse, Ezra dismounted and took a moment to absorb his surroundings. This was his land now, a place where he could build something of his own, where he could train and develop his team without the restrictions he'd faced elsewhere. It was isolated enough to be secure, but not so remote as to be inconvenient. It wasn't perfect. But it was close enough.

The first thing that caught his eye was the delivery truck parked near the front gate. Several large crates were stacked beside it, each labeled with the names of different types of Pokemon food. He had ordered the supplies ahead of time, ensuring that his Pokemon would have the sustenance they needed as they settled into their new home.

Ezra walked over to inspect the delivery, noting the variety of food types. Each crate was clearly marked and securely packed. Waving the delivery truck off as they'd just finished unloading as he arrived.

Despite the thoroughness of the delivery, Ezra knew that the amount he had ordered was far less than what most stables would require for a team as large and diverse as his. His Pokemon, particularly the Ghost types, seemed to draw more sustenance from his aura than from physical food. It was an unusual phenomenon, one that he had yet to fully understand, but it made logistics easier in some ways.

Even his Dark Pokemon seemed to enjoy his aura, so feeding them on the road wasn't an issue. Yet he'd still ordered the food for the necessity of feeding his Pokemon when he wasn't around himself.

He popped open one of the crates, pulling out a small sample of the food and inspecting it closely. The pellets were fresh, high-quality, and exactly what he had specified. Satisfied, he closed the crate and began moving the supplies toward the barn, cheating and working out at the same time as his shadow split into tendrils, helping drag crates along. It seemed as long as he was lifting/dragging something as well - his shadow didn't struggle with it.

Once the supplies were stored away, Ezra took a final walk around the property, his eyes scanning the landscape, noting the best spots for training and where he could make improvements. There was a certain peace to the land, a quiet that allowed him to think clearly, to plan for the future. It was a blank slate, ready for him to shape into whatever he needed it to be.

He might be taking a different route to fight towards victory than most trainers - focusing less on battles, more on training and setting up an operation around them.

He would show them all in the end.

Next day, Pewter city, Kanto.

The sun was just beginning to rise over Pewter City as he approached, casting long shadows across the rocky landscape and giving the town its characteristic gray hue. Pewter was an old city, one of the first to be established in Kanto, and its architecture reflected its history. Buildings were constructed from stone and mortar, sturdy and practical, blending seamlessly with the rocky terrain that surrounded them. The city had a rugged charm, with cobblestone streets winding between the buildings and leading up to the impressive silhouette of the Pewter Gym, perched on a hill overlooking the town.

Ezra walked through the streets, his mind focused on the tasks ahead. The night before, Steven Stone had sent over the initial paperwork for their business partnership, and Ezra knew that it was essential to have a competent lawyer look it over before he signed anything. The contract was long, detailed, and filled with legal jargon that, while familiar, was not his expertise. If there was one thing Ezra had learned in his previous life, it was the importance of thoroughly understanding any document before putting his name on it - especially when dealing with a corporate titan like Stone.

Pewter City had been known for its mining industry in the past, and the people here were still known for their tenacity and practicality. That extended to their lawyers, who had a reputation for being as tough as the rocks that surrounded the city. Ezra needed someone who could match Stone's team of corporate sharks, someone who could find and eliminate any hidden clauses that might put him at a disadvantage.

If you had to hire a lawyer, it was best to hire someone who'd refuse to give up on principle - because they were just that stubborn.

As he passed by the various shops and businesses that lined the main street, Ezra kept an eye out for the law office he'd been told about. Pewter City was smaller than, for example, Saffron or Celadon, but it was still a bustling town, with a surprising number of law firms considering its size. It wasn't long before he found what he was looking for - a small, unassuming building with a plaque that read Boulder & Associates - Legal Expertise as Solid as Stone.

Ezra smirked at the tagline and pushed the door open, stepping inside. The interior was just as no-nonsense as the exterior, with plain stone walls, sturdy wooden furniture, and a few framed documents hanging on the walls that attested to the firm's various accolades and certifications. A woman sat behind the reception desk, her expression focused as she typed away on a computer. She looked up as Ezra entered, her eyes sharp and assessing.

"Good morning," She greeted, her voice brisk but not unfriendly. "How can we assist you today?"

"I'm looking for legal representation," Ezra replied, stepping up to the desk. "I need someone to review a business contract and advise me on any potential pitfalls. Preferably someone who isn't afraid to push back against a big name."

The woman's eyes narrowed slightly, as if sizing him up. After a moment, she nodded. "You'll want to speak with Mr. Marcus then. He's our senior partner and specializes in contract law. Please, have a seat, and I'll see if he's available."

He'd have to give them that. She hadn't asked if he could afford it/where his parents were, or anything like it. She looked like she'd thought it. But she hadn't asked. As far as Ezra was concerned, any place that didn't immediately dismiss him as a kid, was a good place to start with.

Although with how he kept interacting with services no one his age regularly dealt with - it was no wonder he kept running into the issue.

People his age were generally still trainers on the circuit or had joined up with the gyms/league - or they worked low end jobs having never gone on a journey. Neither needed licensing bureaus, lawyers or negotiations to buy land.

Ezra took a seat in one of the wooden chairs, waiting while his mind was already turning over the upcoming discussion. He didn't have to wait long before the woman returned, gesturing for him to follow her down a short hallway. She led him to a modest office at the end of the hall, where a man in his early forties sat behind a large oak desk, papers spread out before him. He looked up as they entered, his sharp, brown eyes immediately locking onto Ezra.

"Mister Marcus, this is the young man that is here for a contract review," The receptionist said before stepping back and closing the door behind her.

The man - Mr. Marcus - stood up and extended a hand. He was tall and lean, with a stern expression softened only slightly by the touch of gray at his temples. His handshake was firm, and his gaze never wavered from Ezra's face.

Ezra introduced himself quietly, idly noting that the lawyer seemed to already be aware of who he was. The lawyer who drew up the real estate contract on their end perhaps?

Ezra had simply rented a lawyer's time for an hour for that contract, it had been simple enough not to need one at all, but he'd wanted to make sure. No wonder the real estate agent had recommended the man if he did work for them.

"Mister Kassian, welcome. Please, have a seat," Marcus said, motioning to the chair across from his desk. "Tell me, what can I do for you?"

Ezra sat down, placing the folder containing Stone's contract on the desk between them, having printed it out beforehand. "Thank you. I've recently entered into negotiations with Steven Stone and the Devon Corporation, and I want to make sure the contract they've sent over is airtight - on my end, that is." He spent a few more minutes explaining the particulars of the deal, to give the lawyer the background needed to understand his position.

Marcus's eyebrows rose slightly, a flicker of interest crossing his features as Ezra finished. "Steven Stone, you say? That's quite a client to be dealing with. I take it this is regarding some form of business partnership?"

The fact he knew who Stone was, with how little Hoenn and Kanto interacted - made Ezra feel even better about hiring him. The man was obviously either well connected - or well learned. Either way it was good for him.

"That's right," Ezra confirmed, pushing the folder toward Marcus. "I'm looking to establish a breeding and evolution business, focusing on rare and unknown Pokemon evolutions that I have sole knowledge of - at least as far as I know. Stone is interested in a partnership, but I want to ensure that I'm not signing away anything more than I intend to."

Somewhere in the world someone likely had an evolution or two that he was going to 'discover'. But since they hadn't published the fact, it didn't matter. It wouldn't even surprise him if some researcher somewhere had most of the Eeveelutions, but was too busy researching more to actually tell anyone yet. Their loss, his gain. Once his business was up and running, he'd actually be able to sue anyone that just gave away information for free on any 'proprietary knowledge' he had.

At least in Kanto or Johto, who both had very clannish laws - his business wasn't a clan, but thanks to Silph, it was basically the same thing.

If Oak was anyone but who he was - he would have found a lot more difficulty in his profession due to pressure from the clans. Spreading information on Pokemon was fairly new after all, the Pokedex was a fairly new thing as well - spearheaded by Oak and his allies.

It was thanks to Oak that the 'basic' knowledge about most known Pokemon was widespread.

Marcus nodded, already flipping through the pages of the contract with practiced ease. "Smart move. Too many inexperienced men and women get caught up in the excitement of a deal like this and don't think to check the fine print. Devon Corp is a reputable company, but that doesn't mean they won't protect their own interests above all else."

Ezra watched as Marcus scanned the document, his eyes darting back and forth across the text. The lawyer's expression remained neutral, but Ezra could see the wheels turning in his mind as he dissected each clause.

"This is a well-crafted contract," Marcus said after a few minutes of silence. "But that's to be expected from a company like Devon. They've covered their bases, but there are a few points here that could be adjusted to better protect your interests." Marcus raised an eyebrow, lips quirking slightly, "If you're interested in retaining my services of course.

Ezra nodded his head slowly, this man would do as well as any other, and he had impressed so far in their limited interactions. "I'd like to hire you on as a retainer in that case, not just for this contract, because I'm likely to continue to need a lawyer."

He'd of course take the contract for a second opinion later before signing anything anyway. The man was a lawyer after all. Trust but verify. For all he knew the reason he knew anything at all about Steven Stone was due to being on the man's payroll to look for interesting things in Kanto.

Unlikely, but Ezra wasn't about to take chances with the business which would be his major money maker. And with him soon having a business, and already having stabling rights, having a lawyer on retainer was just common sense.

Marcus brought out a simple sheet of paper, "We can draw up a retainer contract later, this is simply to acknowledge that you've hired my services for an hour in regards to this contract."

Ezra looked it over quickly, it was as simple as he said, and he signed it immediately, glad that this world's fascination with young people traveling the world alone - meant he was legally able to sign contracts. Without that, the last week or two of business would have been a lot more difficult to pull off if the Lavender orphanage still held parental rights over him…

Ezra leaned forward slightly once he'd signed, his attention fully on the lawyer. "What kind of points were you talking about?"

Marcus tapped one of the pages with a pen. "First, the profit-sharing agreement. As it stands, they've structured it so that Devon receives a slightly higher percentage of profits once a certain revenue threshold is met. It's a common clause in these types of contracts, but it's something you might want to negotiate down as I doubt you brought that up in the first negotiation."

Marcus smiled sardonically, "It's a regular little ploy by corporations to slip something like that in. You're the one providing the expertise and the unique Pokemon. Additionally, there's a clause regarding property rights - specifically, the ownership of any new Pokemon evolutions that result from this partnership. As written, Devon would retain full ownership of any discoveries made during the course of the business, even if the initial knowledge came from you - I assume you negotiated some sort of shared profit arrangement, but with this they'd hold all the power in case there were any issues as the literal owners of the information and its products."

Ezra frowned. That was exactly the kind of thing he had been worried about. "How do we fix that?" He'd negotiated the profit share with the idea that he'd still own that percentage.

"We amend the clause to specify that any new Pokemon evolutions or techniques discovered as a result of your initial knowledge will remain split in the percentage you negotiated. Devon can retain the rights to research and production, but the ownership would remain split so they couldn't make unilateral decisions without your input. This way, if the partnership were to dissolve in the future, you'd still retain some control over your discoveries."

Ezra nodded slowly, considering the lawyer's advice. "That sounds like the right move. What else?" He was also somewhat amused that they were calling the Pokemon products - the softer trainer types would flip their lid at that if they heard.

Marcus continued to go through the contract, pointing out various clauses that could be adjusted in Ezra's favor. Some were minor, like tweaking the terms of payment as the cost of trying to slip in the extra clauses, while others were more significant, such as ensuring that Ezra would have a say in any major business decisions like any potential sale of the business in the future. By the time they were finished, Ezra felt much more confident about moving forward with the deal.

"I'll have my secretary draft up the necessary amendments," Marcus said, closing the folder and looking at Ezra with a measured gaze. "Once you've reviewed them and we've made any further changes, I'll send the revised contract to Devon Corp for their review. It's possible they'll push back on some of the points, but that's where negotiation comes in."

Ezra nodded, satisfied with the outcome. "I appreciate your thoroughness, Mr. Marcus. I'd like you to draft that contract to keep you on retainer as well, if that's something you're still open to."

Marcus smiled, the first real honest looking expression he'd shown during their meeting. "I'd be happy to represent you, Ezra. And please, call me Mark."

Mark Marcus?

Ezra stood and shook Mark's hand once more, shaking his head at the man's parents. "Thank you, Mark. I'll look forward to working with you, I intend to have a lot of business for you..."

Just as he was stepping out, he paused, looking back, "Would you be able to point me in the direction of where I could get several Porygons?"

Mark raised an eyebrow in surprise, "Possibly, it wouldn't be easy, you're talking about a newly discovered Pokemon… But for the right price, possibly."

Ezra smiled, and then explained to his lawyer, after making sure to sign the retainer contract - how he intended to use the Porygon to revolutionize the web, bringing social media to Kanto and Johto, describing a mix of twitter and YouTube as the template to the surprised man. To his credit, he immediately saw how that would catch on with all the trainers - especially the younger ones.

As soon as he got a bead on some Porygons he'd let Ezra know, and in the meanwhile he'd study up on the very limited laws that governed the web. Every trainer with a pokedex being able to potentially stream their fights would be huge - let alone the Gyms potentially getting in on it.

The lawyer got a wide shark-like grin on his face as Ezra casually brought up a question - what were the betting laws like? Especially for the online process.

He had a feeling the man would try very hard to find those Porygon.

Of course he'd have to set up a payment system as well, but… That only meant more money for him if he could pull it off. As long as the Porygon could pull off a lot of the work for it, because he definitely couldn't.

With the contract in capable hands, Ezra left the law office and made his way back through the city, his next destination clear in his mind. The Pewter Gym was an iconic landmark, its towering stone facade a testament to the strength and resilience of the trainers who called it home. Flint was still the official Gym Leader, but it wasn't Flint he was going to see.

He wasn't ready to take on the circuit yet.

Ezra had contacted the gym shortly after securing his stable license, putting out feelers to see if any of the trainers there were interested in part-time work. The prospect of working with rare and unknown Pokemon was usually enough to pique the interest of any serious trainer, but Ezra had a particular candidate in mind - Brock. If he could convince Brock to work at his stable, even temporarily, it would be a significant boon.

Someone needed to take care of his Pokemon while he was gone, and he'd prefer to hire someone he knew wasn't likely to screw him or attempt to run off with them. The instinctual fear of Ghost Pokemon some had could be easily worked through, especially once he showed how docile his particular Pokemon were.

The walk to the gym was short, and as Ezra approached, he took a moment to appreciate the building's architecture. The Pewter Gym was constructed from massive slabs of stone, each one meticulously cut and placed to create an imposing structure that seemed to rise organically from the ground. The front entrance was flanked by towering statues of Onix, their serpentine forms coiled in a show of strength and power.

Ezra pushed open the heavy doors and stepped inside, the cool air of the gym a welcome contrast to the warmth of the day. The interior was just as impressive as the exterior, with large, open spaces filled with rocky terrain designed for Rock-type battles. Trainers were scattered throughout the gym, some engaged in battles, others focused on training their Pokemon in the rugged environment. The walls were lined with banners and trophies from past victories, showcasing the gym's long history and its reputation as one of Kanto's most respected battle arenas.

Most trainers didn't immediately go for the gym leader, it was the job of the different gym trainers to test and battle newcomers - and teach them. It wasn't odd for a trainer to take a year or two off to be a gym trainer, sharpening their team while learning from the gym leader.

Most people that went far in the conference had taken this route. Some rookie trainer going all the way, or far into the conference, was rare. No matter how good you were by natural instincts or skill alone, the trainers that went up through the gyms first just had more advantages.

Ezra intended to be that one in a million rookie.

Although he definitely also looked forward to one day having gym trainers or his own, not only to share his expertise with at that point, but to continue to showcase how obviously superior Ghost and Dark Pokemon were.

Ezra made his way across the stone floor, his footsteps echoing in the cavernous space, until he reached the main training area. A group of younger trainers was clustered around a large boulder, watching as a Geodude practiced its Rock Throw under the guidance of an young, dark-haired man. His broad shoulders and strong build gave him the appearance of someone who had spent his life working with powerful Rock types.

Even from behind, Ezra immediately recognized him as Brock. And wasn't surprised to find that he was helping younger trainers out. He'd always seemed the helpful sort, from what he could remember.

It didn't take long for him to notice Ezra's approach. He turned, wiping sweat from his brow, and offered a friendly smile. "You must be the one who inquired about part-time work," He said, his deep voice carrying easily over the noise of the gym. "I'm Brock. I heard you've got some rare Pokemon that need looking after." An aura of excitement overtook him at that, his smile growing more genuine, "I'm always willing to learn more about Pokemon, especially in taking care of their needs." He said enthusiastically.

Ezra would have asked how he recognized him so quickly… But… Albino, 'nuff said.

Ezra returned the smile although his was not nearly as honest, nodding in confirmation. "That's right. I'm Ezra Kassian. I recently purchased some land outside Pewter, and I'm setting up a stable for my Pokemon, who tend to be of the rarer and harder to find variety. I'm looking for someone willing to help care for them when I'm not around, and I figured a local would work best." He idly looked at the staring young faces, before craning his neck somewhat awkwardly, "Is there anywhere we can talk about it?"

Brock sheepishly rubbed the back of his head, before gesturing for him to follow, quickly making his apologies to the coterie of young trainers. As they walked, Brock gave him a curious squinting look, "Did you run into Karen by any chance?" He asked.

Ezra raised an eyebrow, "What?" Because really, that needed a bit more explanation.

Brock smiled sheepishly, "Ah, I suppose not then. She's a cute girl that hung around Pewter for a few days, she had the biggest crush on you."

Ezra's steps faltered, "What!?" He repeated, because there was some missing piece of information here that would make this all make sense, surely?

Brock frowned, "You don't know what I'm talking about do you?"

Ezra gave him an annoyed look, "What clued you in? My complete lack of comprehension of what you're talking about?"

"Yes, that." Brock said, the sarcasm flying right over his head, "The cutie was all over town and all she could talk about was you, like literally. I tried to flirt with her and she went into a ten minute rant about you." He tilted his head hesitantly, "I mean, it was pretty uncomplimentary, but girls can be like that about their crushes sometimes."

"I've never met this girl in my life." Ezra said flatly. The only one he could think would chase after him to yell at him was from the Orange islands, and was definitely not named Karen.

"She's a pretty big deal." Brock said lowly, as he opened a door into some sort of staff room, currently empty, "She's the apprentice of one of the Elite Four."

Ezra walked in, his mind turning over this new tidbit. He recognized the name Karen now, she'd ended up an Elite Four herself, hadn't she? She had Dark Pokemon, and was apprenticed to Agatha the Ghost Mistress. If she was heavily into dark and ghosts and that scene - perhaps she'd seen some of what he could do in the Orange islands and developed a crush?

He did kind of pull off that aesthetic, even without his Pokemon. And the Albino thing might be a turn on if she was some sort of goth chick.

He couldn't fathom any other reason why she'd be looking for him and chatting with strangers about him. If it was official business they would have just called him or summoned him to the indigo plateau. It wasn't like he could turn down an Elite Four calling for him.

"Huh, and she just left, you said?" He asked Brock, not sure how he felt about a girl he'd never met crushing on him. It was very… Anime.

Brock nodded, "Suddenly took off like she had a herd of zubat on her tail, didn't even say goodbye." His eyes narrowed, which for Brock was quite the feat. "Treat her well, she's a very nice girl." He hesitated a bit again, before finishing lamely, "Underneath the prickly bits." In the following silence, Brock managed to also mumble out, "And wear a cup." Very quietly, wincing in remembered pain.

"I don't even know her." Ezra said, shaking his head, not about to give Brock any promises. "Let's get back to why I'm here, I'm willing to pay very competitive wages for someone to look after my Pokemon, some of which are pretty rare, you were named as someone I could trust." Flattery usually worked on 'normal' people, and Ezra figured it wouldn't hurt.

Brock's eyes lit up with curiosity again, clearly intrigued by the offer. "Rare Pokemon, huh? That's not something you hear every day. What kinds of Pokemon are we talking about?" He said, rubbing his hands together eagerly.

Ezra knew that this was the moment that could ruin Brock's interest if he didn't word things carefully. "It's mostly Ghost types and a few Dark Pokemon that I have in my stable, unlike how their reputations are, they are remarkably docile, and could give a lot of experience and information to a young trainer if Pokemon rearing or breeding holds any interest. It's a pretty diverse group, and they require a lot of attention and specialized care."

Brock's expression shifted from curiosity to some trepidation. "Ghost and Dark types, you say? That's definitely unusual, especially in this region. Most trainers around here stick to the basics - Rock, Normal, Bug, the occasional Grass type. I've always been interested in learning about different kinds of Pokemon, especially the ones you don't see every day, but..." He made a hand gesture seemingly lost for words.

Ezra got the gist however. Scary Pokemon.

Ezra tilted his head slightly, studying Brock. "I had been told you needed experience raising Pokemon, that battling wasn't your main passion? I'm willing to pay quite well, enough you could use the money afterwards to perhaps take some courses in breeding or rearing. I simply need someone who can keep an eye on them, make sure they're healthy and happy, and handle any issues that might come up while I'm away. I'm only looking for part-time help, so you wouldn't have to spend all your time there."

Whenever he intended to be gone for long stretches of time, would be the only time he would really need Brock - for short trips for a few days he could just take them all with him and rotate them in and out at a Pokecenter.

He really would rather prefer Brock, but if he was too hesitant, he'd find someone else. Docile his 'mon might be. But they were still Pokemon of their typing, and if Brock walked in terrified, they'd eat him alive.

Not literally. He hoped.

Brock crossed his arms, considering the offer carefully. "I'm… Interested." He said slowly, "Depending on how many hours, pay, and the like. Although I admit I'm not that well read on these particular types." His cheeks pinked a little, "I know a little about Dark Pokemon, studying up on them for a bit when Karen arrived."

Ezra appreciated the directness, Brock wasn't wasting his time at least. He could appreciate that Brock wasn't the type to jump into something without understanding the full picture, and that was exactly what Ezra needed in a caretaker. "I've got a lot on my plate right now," Ezra explained. "I'm working on a few different projects that will take me out of town pretty often. When I'm away for a week or two the odd times, I need someone reliable to take over. I'll pay you full gym trainer wages for only part-time work, and you'll basically work a week or two here and there when I need you, and have the rest of the time off. Paid time off." He reiterated, wanting to seal the deal with his number one pick.

Brock nodded slowly, taking it all in. "I see. Well, I won't lie - I've been looking for something a little different. My dad's the Gym Leader here, and I've got some free time on my hands. Running a stable for rare Pokemon sounds like a great opportunity, especially if it's just part-time for now."

He seemed to think it over, rubbing his chin, before looking at Ezra seriously, "I am willing to give it a shot, but it would probably be best if I meet them first and see if this can even work out."

Ezra had anticipated this. Brock wouldn't want to sign on for something he couldn't do, "Of course," Ezra said. "I wouldn't expect you to agree without seeing the setup first. How about you come by the stable this afternoon? I can introduce you to the team, show you the property, and answer any questions you might have."

Brock smiled, his interest now fully piqued. "Sounds like a plan. I've got a few things to wrap up here at the gym, but I can be over there by mid-afternoon. Just give me the address, and I'll be there."

Ezra pulled out a small notebook and scribbled down the address of his property, tearing off the page and handing it to Brock. "I'll see you then. And Brock - thanks for considering this. It means a lot that you're willing to try something outside of your expertise."

Ezra was going to vomit soon if he had to keep smiling and complimenting people. But Brock was one of those honestly good people that infested the Pokemon world. It would be like kicking a puppy if he was his usual acerbic and snarky self.

Maybe later, when the guy got used to him.

With that, the two parted ways, Brock returning to his duties at the gym while Ezra left with a sense of satisfaction at getting his way, even if he felt that he was increasingly faking things too much. Things were starting to fall into place however. He had a competent lawyer reviewing his contract with Devon Corp and looking into Porygons, and now he had the potential of hiring Brock to help manage his Pokemon when he couldn't be there.

Once he was finished up in Pewter, he'd go find a tournament in Johto again, while pursuing his interests there, and go back to being his snarky lovable self, making fun of idiot trainers. Maybe he could even have a rematch with Shae?

By the time Ezra arrived back at his property, the sun had climbed higher in the sky, casting a warm glow over the land. He took a moment to appreciate the quiet solitude of the place, the way the hedges and stone walls provided a sense of seclusion without feeling closed off. It was the perfect environment for what he had planned - a place where he could focus on training his team and building his business without distractions.

At least until he was ready to ride victorious into Lavender Town and establish his gym.

Ezra spent the next few hours making sure everything was in order for Brock's visit. He checked on the Pokemon, ensuring they were all settled in and comfortable, and made a mental list of the things he wanted to discuss with Brock. It was important to be thorough, to cover all the bases and make sure there were no misunderstandings.

When mid-afternoon arrived, Ezra was waiting at the front gate, keeping an eye out for Brock's arrival. He didn't have to wait long. A few minutes later, he saw the figure of Brock approaching, walking up the dirt path with an easy, confident stride. The closer Brock got, the more Ezra could see the genuine excitement in his expression, coupled with the nervousness of someone trying something new for the first time.

Ghosts and Dark Pokemon definitely had a reputation in Kanto.

"Welcome to the stable," Ezra greeted as Brock reached the gate. He opened it and motioned for Brock to follow him inside. "I've set everything up so you can get a good look at the place and meet my Pokemon."

Brock nodded, his eyes already scanning the surroundings with a keen eye. "Thanks, Ezra. I'm looking forward to seeing what you've got here, the old owners were pretty isolationist, I don't think anyone ever was allowed inside while they ran the place."

As they walked through the property, Ezra pointed out the various features - the barn where the supplies were stored, the open fields and heavy forests where the Pokemon could roam, and the small pond that provided a natural water source.

He gestured to the barn, "Currently my Dark Pokemon are resting in there, while my Ghosts prefer to haunt the forest. Your main job besides feeding them, would basically be to keep them entertained and active, so they don't get into too much trouble."

Brock nodded, having a notepad and pen out, and to Ezra's bemusement, seemed to be transcribing what he was saying, word for word. "Doesn't sound too impossible." He muttered, "I can make up some games, even simple ones like tag should be interesting with Ghosts in the mix."

"Ready to meet them?" Ezra asked, hiding a smirk.

Brock nodded decisively, "Of course!"

"Say hello to Loki." Ezra drawled, as Brock felt something ghost past his shoulder.

Brock turned his head, coming face to face with the Shuppet, which blew him a raspberry.

He turned back to Ezra, some nervous sweat on his brow, only for Cheshire to be right in his face, giving him a long lick.

"They like you already." Ezra said wryly.

"This isn't too bad." Brock said nervously.

Over the next few hours Brock was run ragged by the Pokemon, but never in a mean way. The mischievousness of his 'mon not able to throw Brock overly much.

The rock type trainer taking it all with aplomb, and handling them with care even as he ensured they didn't go too far.

In the end, he was willing to give it a try, and Ezra was pleased with his capabilities vis-a-vis his 'mon.

So another deal was struck.

That evening, Ezra's stable, Kanto.

The sun was high in the sky over Ezra's secluded plot of land, casting a warm glow across the landscape that was rapidly chilling as they headed towards nighttime. The air was thick with the earthy scent of pine and soil, a gentle breeze rustling the leaves of the surrounding trees. It was a perfect evening for training, and Ezra was determined to make the most of it.

He had his Pokemon divided into two groups, carefully organized based on their types and the specific training they needed. On one side were his Ghost types - lead by his team, with the Sableye, Duskull, Mimikyu, Dreepy and the rest all waiting for his orders.

I can't wait to see Lance's face one day when I take down a Dragonite with Mimikyu… He thought as he smiled at the Pokemon, now wearing a much better looking Pikachu disguise after Ezra picked up some crafts materials.

Lighting wouldn't be a problem tonight either with the Litwicks and Lampents present.

On the other side, he had his Dark types - Murkrow, Houndour and Poochyena, Skuntank, Zorua, and Deino - all of them eagerly awaiting his attention.

Ezra wasn't focused on techniques today. He had trained his team of Pokemon in their moves extensively, and they were already formidable in battle. And he'd get there with the rest of them, but first they needed to go through what his team had already been working on since he got them.

Something deeper, something that could give them an edge beyond what most trainers considered. He was going to help them hone their energy, the very essence of their being that fueled their powers and defined their abilities. It wasn't just about getting stronger; it was about refining that strength, understanding it, and learning to wield it with precision.

He'd already taught his team how to mess around with it, compressing techniques, making them denser. Making them lighter and faster in exchange for less oomph - how to manipulate the energy.

And he must have been doing something right with it, considering how quickly they picked it up - for example how quickly Cubone had both harnessed steel energy and fire energy.

Focusing on the actual power behind the techniques rather than the techniques themselves. They could start throwing Shadow Balls and the like once they knew themselves and the techniques inside and out.

"Alright," Ezra called out, his voice firm but encouraging. "Today, we're not focusing on moves or battles. We're going to dig deeper. I want each of you to connect with your energy, to feel it, understand it, and learn to control it in a way you haven't before. This is going to take patience and focus, but it's going to pay off in the long run." He gestures to Loki, who quickly created a Shadow Ball, the tiny ball a tenth of the size of a normal attack, impossibly dense. "That is what you can learn when you learn how to use every iota of your powers."

Loki sent the Shadow Ball off, and it cracked a tree in half as it hit, the speed greater as well, Loki cheering as he did a little pirouette in the air.

His new Pokemon responded with a mix of determination and curiosity, basking in his aura. He wondered if his aura was helping them understand better, if that's why his team had picked things up so quickly.

Either way, aura or him, it was only to his benefit. His Ghost Pokemon would train with their energy until they ran out of gas, at which point they would come and snack on him, before getting back to it.

Something he'd have to train with at some point, because if he could surreptitiously stretch out his aura to reinvigorate his Pokemon in battle, that would be the ultimate cheat.

For his Dark Pokemon, they'd have a different training regime. A harsher one in a way. But they were exactly the type to take it and come and ask for more. Dark types weren't the kind to lay down and give up.

They were physical where the Ghosts were not, so while also focusing on their energy and learning every bit they could on how to squeeze everything out of it - they would be physically training, some of them for speed, especially the Houndor and Poochyena. And some for strength or stamina.

Ezra sent the Dark types off, having given each of them a short training regime to try earlier in the day. While they began with that, he walked amongst his Ghosts, offering encouragement, utilizing Loki, Chesire, Nyx and Rider as assistants of sorts, to coax the new Pokemon into pulling their energy out without using a technique for it.

Ezra watched them carefully, offering quiet encouragement and adjustments as they worked. This wasn't the kind of training that showed immediate results, but it was the kind that built a strong foundation. By learning to control their energy, his Ghost types would become more efficient in battle, less likely to exhaust themselves, and more capable of precision with their abilities.

He already had an advantage in typing against most, but he didn't want to rest on those laurels. He wanted his Pokemon to be strong enough to tackle even a type disadvantage one day, and fire back something twice as hard.

After ensuring his Ghost types were on track, Ezra turned his attention to his Dark types. Dark energy was a powerful force, often tied to emotions like anger, fear, at least to the general populations ideas of it. But they were not entirely wrong. Ezra would affix it with the moniker of hunger if he had to pick one thing.

It needed to be channeled effectively to avoid becoming wild and strike back against its user. Using Dark energy took a certain mindset, hence why many Pokemon couldn't learn those types of moves.

He walked over to where they were all practicing, speaking softly as he walked amongst them, Nyx following, as his Pokemon with the most experience with Dark energy. "Your energy is all about power and dominance. It's raw and aggressive, but that doesn't mean it can't be controlled. I want you to focus on harnessing that energy, letting it flow through your body while you move. We're going to work on physical exercises to help you connect with it on a deeper level."

As with many things, he was guessing based on what felt right to him, but it seemed to be working so far, so he had no reason to stop. He certainly wasn't going to ask Oak for advice. If Dark energy was like a hunter, hungry and predatory, then he figured sitting still like in meditation like most of his Ghosts practiced theirs - wouldn't work as well.

Murkrow spread its wings wide, the dark feathers shimmering as it prepared to take flight. "Start with flight drills," Ezra instructed. "I want you to focus on maintaining your dark energy while you're in the air. Keep your movements smooth, but don't let that power drop for even a second. Hold onto it, feel it, try to use it to help your flight if you think you can."

Murkrow took to the sky, its wings beating in a steady rhythm. Ezra watched as the Dark type energy pulsed through Murkrows body, he could feel it, his own attunement easily picking it up. The Dark bird Pokemon soared above the training field, banking and diving with practiced ease, all the while struggling with keeping its energy stable. This wasn't about speed or agility - it was about maintaining a constant flow of power, for now.

Meanwhile, the Houndour and Poochyena were focused on speed and endurance. Ezra had set up a series of obstacles for the Dark-types to navigate, each one designed to test their physical limits. "Houndour all of you, Poochyena too. I want you all to push through these obstacles, but I want you to do it while focusing on your dark energy. Let it fuel you, give you the strength to overcome each challenge, let it fill every muscle, every ligament. If you have to take it at a walking pace to get it down, it's fine, we don't need to rush this, learn first, run later."

The Pokemon growled softly in acknowledgment, none of them able to run across the obstacles as it was, all of them struggling to do something that was normally instinctual. Ezra wanted them to learn it, to learn how to harness it. He could feel his own dark energy and knew it always wanted more. Like something that was always hungry. So he wanted the Pokemon to get a hold of that aspect of it, because who knew what the limit was, could their energy start craving more speed? Only one way to find out.

Dreepy and Deino, both young and still growing into their power, were given exercises that focused on coordination and control for now, the two would be in his team going forward for obvious reasons, but he didn't want to push them too hard either. "Dreepy, you're going to work on agility. I want you to float through this course, weaving between the obstacles while maintaining your energy. Don't let it scatter - keep it close, keep it steady."

Dreepy's small, ghostly form darted through the air, moving quickly between the obstacles with a fluid grace. Its energy pulsed rhythmically, and Dreepy focused on keeping that pulse steady, not letting it fluctuate as it maneuvered through the course. It was a test of both agility and energy control, and Dreepy was doing admirably for a first try as it was determined to succeed.

Deino, on the other hand, was focused on power. "Deino, same exercise for now, I want the two of you to partner up, learn together, grow together." He patted its head softly, "You'll both be fearsome dragons together on my team, learn from each other."

Deino growled softly, before setting off, pushing against the obstacle course to catch up to Dreepy's floating form Ezra watched the two of them, content with letting them practice their energies and float/run around for now. They'd grow more rapidly then the others soon enough - as he'd actually use them for battle. Dragapult and Hydreigon were going to be game changers.

He knew that in the Pokemon world, most regular trainers relied on their Pokemon's natural abilities, honing their techniques through practice and battle. But Ezra was looking for something more - an advantage that would set him apart from the others. By helping his Pokemon master their energy, how to cycle it through their bodies, their techniques at perfect output and efficiency, he was ensuring that they would be able to maintain their power throughout a battle, striking with precision and conserving their strength for when it mattered most.

The training continued for hours, the sun slowly dipping toward the horizon as Ezra's Pokemon pushed themselves to their limits. They were tired, but not exhausted, their energies refined and more focused than they had been before, his own aura helping replenish them, which was rapidly tiring him out.

It seemed he had limits as well when it came to the darkness inherent to him.

Finally, as the light began to fade and the shadows grew longer, Ezra called the session to an end. "That's enough for today," He said, his voice filled with satisfaction. "You've all done incredible work. This is just the beginning, but I can already see how much you've improved. We'll keep refining your energy, keep building on this foundation, and soon enough, you'll be unstoppable." His grin was savage as he looked across his Pokemon.

His Pokemon gathered around him, their eyes reflecting the pride and satisfaction they felt from the day's work, their grins were no less savage as they looked up at him. Ezra smiled, reaching out to pat Rider on the head, best boi having immediately sought him out for praise.

He'd dedicate tomorrow to training, then he'd fly off again, leaving Brock to try his hand at his new job for a week as he returned to Johto to explore a tournament or two.

He was looking forward to letting loose again.

A day later, Ezra's stable.

The morning sun had just begun to burn away the mist that clung to the fields surrounding the Pewter stable when Brock heard a firm knock on the front door. He had been busy organizing the supplies Ezra had ordered, the routine of the task keeping him grounded in the peaceful atmosphere of the countryside.

The knock at the door felt out of place, as if it carried with it the weight of something significant. He knew no one came by here, so he wondered what it could be? Maybe Karen is back? He thought somewhat optimistically.

Brock wiped his hands on a cloth and headed for the door, curiosity gnawing at him. When he opened it, he found himself staring into the sharp, ice-blue eyes of a woman he recognized instantly - Agatha, the Ghost type master of the Elite Four. Her presence was like a sudden drop in temperature, and the air around her seemed to still, as if nature itself was wary of her.

"Good morning, young man," Agatha said, her voice carrying a chilling edge despite the pleasantry of her words. "I'm looking for Ezra Kassian. Is he here?"

Brock felt a jolt of shock at the sight of her, his mind racing to process why one of the most powerful trainers in Kanto would be standing on the doorstep of a modest stable. "M-Miss Agatha," He stammered, stepping back to let her enter. "Ezra… He left about an hour ago."

Agatha's expression didn't change, but there was a slight tightening around her eyes, a flicker of resignation that told Brock she had somewhat expected this outcome. "I see," she said quietly, more to herself than to him. "And do you know where he went?"

Brock shook his head, trying to maintain composure in the face of her icy demeanor. "He didn't say."

The silence that followed was thick with unspoken thoughts. Agatha's gaze flicked around the interior of the stable entranceway, her eyes missing nothing as she assessed her surroundings. The old Ghost master was known for her formidable power, but it was her sharp mind and even sharper intuition that had earned her a place among legends.

"And why are you here instead of him?" She asked, turning her full attention back to Brock. There was no accusation in her tone, but the question carried an undercurrent of curiosity, as if she was trying to piece together a puzzle.

Brock hesitated, unsure of how much he should reveal. "I'm working here part-time," He admitted, scratching the back of his head sheepishly. "Ezra needed someone to look after his Pokemon while he's away. I've got experience with that kind of thing - albeit with children and trainers - so it seemed like a good fit."

Agatha's eyes narrowed slightly, a spark of interest lighting them. "Is that so?" She murmured, her tone now contemplative. "And these Pokemon… Anything interesting and never seen before hiding amongst them?" She pressed, "I was stuck doing paperwork for the past two days and couldn't arrive sooner, the work of an Elite Four is never done, but I'm here now…"

Brock swallowed, feeling the pressure of her gaze. "I'm not sure what you've heard, Miss Agatha, but Ezra's Pokemon are… Unique, yes." He shifted uncomfortably under her scrutiny. "But I can't just show them to anyone. Ezra left me in charge, and he trusts me to look after them properly." His jaw set, as he straightened his back, meeting the Elite Four's eyes.

Agatha's lips thinned into a line, her patience visibly fraying. "Surely you understand that I'm not 'just anyone,' young man. My interest in Ezra's Pokemon is… Professional. I won't harm them, nor will I do anything untoward. I simply wish to see what he's been working with."

But Brock stood firm, despite the chill that seemed to seep from Agatha's very presence. He respected Ezra's wishes, and had accepted payment to work for him - there was no way he would betray that trust - not even for an Elite Four member. She could call Ezra himself. "I'm sorry, Miss Agatha," He said, trying to sound as respectful as possible. "But I really can't do that. Ezra was clear about who could interact with his Pokemon, and right now, that's just him and me."

For a moment, it looked like Agatha might press the issue. Her eyes flashed with something dark, a glimpse of the power she wielded, but then she let out a long, slow breath, the tension easing from her shoulders. She nodded, more to herself than to Brock, and the chill in the air seemed to lift slightly.

"Very well," She said, her voice chilly. "You're a loyal young man, Brock. That's a good quality, though not always a wise one. But you're right - this isn't the time or place to press the issue. I'll see those Pokemon soon enough, once I have Ezra where he belongs."

Brock didn't quite know how to respond to that, so he simply nodded, hoping the conversation was at an end. The sooner Agatha left, the sooner he could return to the relative calm of his work. He had a feeling he had the fact he was Flint's son to thank for the Elite Four member not pushing further.

Had Ezra thought of that? Is that why he was hired?

Agatha glanced around the stable entrance way once more, her expression inscrutable. "I won't bother you any longer, then. But do let Ezra know that I'm looking forward to seeing him. Sooner, rather than later."

With that, she turned and made her way out of the stable, her presence leaving a lingering chill in the air even after she had gone. Brock watched her go, a mixture of relief and anxiety washing over him. He knew that dealing with someone like Agatha was far beyond what he had signed up for, and he could only hope that Ezra knew what he was doing.

As Agatha disappeared from view, Brock let out a breath he hadn't realized he was holding. The stable felt warmer already, the oppressive weight of her presence finally lifting. He couldn't help but wonder what it was about Ezra that had drawn the attention of such a formidable figure.

He put it down to a Ghost trainer being interested in one of its kind.

Thankful that the situation was over, and that he'd receive no more scary visitors.

Dealing with the Elite Four hadn't been in the job description…

Author's note:

So Dark energy etc and all that might not work like that in games/anime etc. But I've already said before I'm doing whatever the hell I want with the Pokemon world, so live with it.

Obviously Deino and Dreepy will be part of the main team, although other then fighting someone like an Elite Four, he'll eventually be rotating members around, but those two are likely to be mainstays - because fuck mothering dragons.

So now even Agatha is getting in on the Karen shenanigans. Wonder how long until she breaks and just calls him.

Karen's apparently in love too. Wonder if Agatha will tell her if she'd stayed in Pewter like she'd planned that would have actually worked.

Probably not.

Cheers

JollyHippopotamus.

Deino and Dreppy are Pseudo and dragonss poachers and thieves would be busy trying to steal them, so better be with mc full time, his other pokemon are basically common pokemon, so they are safe from being stolen, maybe poocheya, only because its uncommon in the kanto/johto , since it is a hoen pokemon

Mc keeps missing Agatha and Karen soo many times sooner or later it will go from funny to annoying for readers, it can last for another chapter or two before it needs to be done

and we really need an index of what pokemon he has
I only know

Shuppet
Spirtitomb
Haunter
Duskull
Houndour
Poochyena
Dreepy
Deino
Murkrow
Pidgeot
Zorua(i think)
Lampent
anymore pls tell me(i am bad with names)

She scooted closer, a finger stabbing at the computer screen as she almost lost all decorum. He's right here on the plateau! She noted his profile had several more Pokemon added, jolting in surprise at the ??? as the only identifier on some of them. Interesting…
Huh, I wonder which ones are unknown. Probably Dreppy - dragon mixed with ghost type would seem elusive, Mimikyu, obviously Alolan Mirowak, maybe Spiritomb. Did I get it right?
I can't wait to see Lance's face one day when I take down a Dragonite with Mimikyu… He thought as he smiled at the Pokemon, now wearing a much better looking Pikachu disguise after Ezra picked up some crafts materials.
Same, can't wait for that.
"Good morning, young man," Agatha said, her voice carrying a chilling edge despite the pleasantry of her words. "I'm looking for Ezra Kassian. Is he here?"

Brock felt a jolt of shock at the sight of her, his mind racing to process why one of the most powerful trainers in Kanto would be standing on the doorstep of a modest stable. "M-Miss Agatha," He stammered, stepping back to let her enter. "Ezra… He left about an hour ago."
Lol. Lmao even.
But Brock stood firm, despite the chill that seemed to seep from Agatha's very presence. He respected Ezra's wishes, and had accepted payment to work for him - there was no way he would betray that trust - not even for an Elite Four member. She could call Ezra himself. "I'm sorry, Miss Agatha," He said, trying to sound as respectful as possible. "But I really can't do that. Ezra was clear about who could interact with his Pokemon, and right now, that's just him and me."
You can't spell Brock without bro.
So Dark energy etc and all that might not work like that in games/anime etc. But I've already said before I'm doing whatever the hell I want with the Pokemon world, so live with it.
Good, let your imagination run wild, it's your pot, cook with it as you want!
Obviously Deino and Dreepy will be part of the main team, although other then fighting someone like an Elite Four, he'll eventually be rotating members around, but those two are likely to be mainstays - because fuck mothering dragons.
Indeed, I usually find dragons cliche, but not those two, they are my preemo supremo. Good taste brother. In regards to future evolution of Deino - when he gets more heads you're probably going to go down the path of different heads doing different moves at the same time (which is peak tbh), so I would like to suggest an idea for a move by that point. Hydreigon would probably have some issues with hitting some quick targets with beam attacks, especialy those that would be able to fly and zip around, so I would like to suggest an attack with which different type beams connect as close as possible to target so it causes explosion, which would prevent near misses. Something like modern military has proximity shells that explode near target, but more manual, as those beams would need to be aimed at the same spot in mid air - which could be quite difficult to accomplish.

You're probably getting some pissed of people about last chapter in your marvel fic, but don't worry brother, your cooking is peak. MC not taking care of opposition with ease after doing so will always get some anger, but I believe in you!
Thanks for the chapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back