• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Puellus Gamer Magica (The Gamer/PMMM quest)

You still have Power Throw and Power Attack, as well as Summon Weapon : Rapier to fall back to if you do not feel like using Energy Bolt.

kinglugia said:
You still have Power Throw and Power Attack, as well as Summon Weapon : Rapier to fall back to if you do not feel like using Energy Bolt.
Yeah but I'd rather that those were capable of at least keeping up in terms of damage and usefulness which putting all points in int wouldn't give us.

My vote on how we aught to spend our points. It boosts all our stats and gets our int at 51. This way we should be able to spam spells anyway while still remaining capable at close range.

Strength - 12+13=25
Dexterity - 13+12=25
Vitality - 12+10=22
Intelligence - 20+31=51
Wisdom - 11+10=21
Luck - 8+5=13

Last edited by a moderator:
Malcolmo said:
Most witches will likely have a lot more then 37 familiars to throw at us though, not to mention that there's a chance it could either dodge or block our attack which would really ruin our tactics. Not to mention that if the increasing in damage are good enough it'll likely cease being worth it to cast it at weaker foes, of which we likely will face a lot. Also I'd rather not really on things being exactly copied from the gamer or puella magi verse since that's likely to backfire on us.
Additionally relying on solely one attack to be both your best defense and attack technique is likely to backfire on us should we either be ambushed find something that can no sell energy bolt.

Ultimately I find the idea of relying solely on spells when we'll likely have varied opponents to be a bad idea. We may be the sorcerer but we still were supposed to be able to handle ourselves in close quarters combat.
Versatility is good but we are a sorcerer after all. We should be getting our versatility from other spells rather than trying to be a conventional close quarters combatant as well (which would be very stat inefficient) Energy Bolt (even if we don't get those perks) can do far more damage than our other skills and we will be able to cast far more of them before running out of mana as we level up.

Malcolmo said:
Yeah but I'd rather that those were capable of at least keeping up in terms of damage and usefulness which putting all points in int wouldn't give us.

My vote on how we aught to spend our points. It boosts all our stats and gets our int at 51. This way we should be able to spam spells anyway while still remaining capable at close range.

Strength - 12+13=25
Dexterity - 13+12=25
Vitality - 12+10=22
Intelligence - 20+31=51
Wisdom - 11+10=21
Luck - 8+5=13
Fighting with our rapier can't keep up with the damage of our spells. Energy Bolt is far to powerful for that. This is the sort of jack of all trades character that cripple your capabilities in most games. We have almost no reason to put points in strength since we would almost always be better of fighting with something relying on other stats or running away.

My vote is for

Strength - 12+0=12
Dexterity - 13+0=13
Vitality - 12+0=12
Intelligence - 20+80=100
Wisdom - 11+0=11
Luck - 8+0=8

Graig said:
Versatility is good but we are a sorcerer after all. We should be getting our versatility from other spells rather than trying to be a conventional close quarters combatant as well (which would be very stat inefficient) Energy Bolt (even if we don't get those perks) can do far more damage than our other skills and we will be able to cast far more of them before running out of mana as we level up.
While our spells likely will make us more versatile they'd still require mana to use which means that we'd still have issues with running out of mana before all our attackers or opponents are dead. Besides which my goal is to be competent at close quarters as we likely won't always get a choice to stay at range. Also you can't really be sure that energy bolt does more damage since we don't yet know what our base damage even is yet.
Fighting with our rapier can't keep up with the damage of our spells. Energy Bolt is far to powerful for that. This is the sort of jack of all trades character that cripple your capabilities in most games.
Again where are the stats for what our weapon damage is? IIRC in The Gamer close quarters attacks were still more useful then energy bolt, most likely due to not having enough mana to keep grinding with it, something that will likely happen to us as well. Also I'd hardly call a character who's int is twice as high as his other stats a jack of all trades. That build has a large focus on our magic with the advantage of at least keeping our other stats decent.

Malcolmo said:
While our spells likely will make us more versatile they'd still require mana to use which means that we'd still have issues with running out of mana before all our attackers or opponents are dead. Besides which my goal is to be competent at close quarters as we likely won't always get a choice to stay at range. Also you can't really be sure that energy bolt does more damage since we don't yet know what our base damage even is yet.Again where are the stats for what our weapon damage is? IIRC in The Gamer close quarters attacks were still more useful then energy bolt, most likely due to not having enough mana to keep grinding with it, something that will likely happen to us as well. Also I'd hardly call a character who's int is twice as high as his other stats a jack of all trades. That build has a large focus on our magic with the advantage of at least keeping our other stats decent.
We don't know what our base damage is but presumably it is not large enough to make the stat based bonus from Power Attack and Power Throw entirely irrelevant (also the base damage was not that high for the protagonist of The Gamer). The damage bonus to energy bolt gets multiplied by our level! That means that it already grows 12 times faster than the stat based damage bonus from Power Attack. Also the total damage is then doubled again when we use our rapier to cast energy bolt!

There is almost no reason to put points in strenght. If you must use a non-spell attack then it would be much better to use throwing and put points into dexterity instead since that also helps our speed and defense. Your build would be significantly better if you just put the points you spent on strength into dex and int instead.

Graig said:
We don't know what our base damage is but presumably it is not large enough too make the stat based bonus from Power Attack and Power Throw entirely irrelevant (also the base damage was not that high for the protagonist of The Gamer). The damage bonus to energy bolt gets multiplied by our level! That means that it already grows 12 times faster than the stat based damage bonus from Power Attack. Also the total damage is then doubled again when we use our rapier to cast energy bolt!
You're forgetting that our rapier is a magical weapon though, not to mention that kinglugia mentioned that items could be upgraded which means that the damage might not be or stay as low as you think. Not to mention we can likely create other spells to boost our close quarters damage and speed. Also I'm not sure that the level being mentioned there is our character level. It's more likely to be the skill's level since otherwise it would be ridiculously unbalanced.
There is almost no reason to put points in strength. If you must use a non-spell attack then it would be much better to use throwing and put points into dexterity instead since that also helps our speed and defense. Your build would be significantly better if you just put the points you spent on strength into dex and int instead.
There are uses for strength though, first off there's the increase in our close quarters damage, there's being able to lift heavy stuff which we can't shove in our inventory, equipping items which require a certain level of strength, learning techniques which need a certain level of strength to use. Parrying for instance at least in real life needs both strength and speed since you're essentially redirecting your opponents attack away from you using your blade which means you'd need speed to actually perform the parry and strength to be able to redirect the attack.

Malcolmo said:
You're forgetting that our rapier is a magical weapon though, not to mention that kinglugia mentioned that items could be upgraded which means that the damage might not be or stay as low as you think. Not to mention we can likely create other spells to boost our close quarters damage and speed. Also I'm not sure that the level being mentioned there is our character level. It's more likely to be the skill's level since otherwise it would be ridiculously unbalanced.
If magic items and spells can give bonuses to our melee damage then there is little reason why they could not also boost our spell damage. You might be right in that it refers to skill level but that is almost as good in the long term. In The Gamer it is easy to increase skills to level ~10. So far the protagonist appears to be gaining skill levels almost as fast as normal levels.

There are uses for strength though, first off there's the increase in our close quarters damage, there's being able to lift heavy stuff which we can't shove in our inventory, equipping items which require a certain level of strength, learning techniques which need a certain level of strength to use. Parrying for instance at least in real life needs both strength and speed since you're essentially redirecting your opponents attack away from you using your blade which means you'd need speed to actually perform the parry and strength to be able to redirect the attack.
We don't know if there are such strength requirements and we can put points in strenght later if we find out that there are such things. We have little reason to be fencing with our opponents. We should be using spells or possibly dodging/running away if we pu a lot of points into dex.

Graig said:
If magic items and spells can give bonuses to our melee damage then there is little reason why they could not also boost our spell damage. You might be right in that it refers to skill level but that is almost as good in the long term. In The Gamer it is easy to increase skills to level ~10. So far the protagonist appears to be gaining skill levels almost as fast as normal levels.
My point was that there was no reason that our attack damage would necessarily have to stay low. Also you're forgetting that The Gamer's protagonist is grinding daily which probably helps out a lot in the skill leveling department. We just aren't being shown it because it'd get boring real fast.
We don't know if there are such strength requirements and we can put points in strength later if we find out that there are such things. We have little reason to be fencing with our opponents. We should be using spells or possibly dodging running away if we put a lot of points into dex.
Considering that some of the skills he learned needed a certain amount of points in vitality I'd argue we'd likely find stuff that has a minimum strength requirement. As far as fencing with our opponents goes I'd say that we need some way to handle close quarters situations since we're unlikely to be able to escape from all of them. And regardless we can't spam energy bolts for every foe we meet since we don't have infinite mana to use on every single familiar that gets thrown at us. Additionally dodging and running away can only get you so far and in the potentially cramped confines of a labyrinth are not things I'd want to rely on.

Malcolmo said:
My point was that there was no reason that our attack damage would necessarily have to stay low. Also you're forgetting that The Gamer's protagonist is grinding daily which probably helps out a lot in the skill leveling department. We just aren't being shown it because it'd get boring real fast.
It might not stay low but if we can find ways to increase it there is little reason why we can't increase our spell damage as much thus keeping the damage gap between spells and melee damage. We should also be grinding daily (and our very fast mana recovery should mean that we can more easily grind skills that use mana).

Considering that some of the skills he learned needed a certain amount of points in vitality I'd argue we'd likely find stuff that has a minimum strength requirement. As far as fencing with our opponents goes I'd say that we need some way to handle close quarters situations since we're unlikely to be able to escape from all of them. And regardless we can't spam energy bolts for every foe we meet since we don't have infinite mana to use on every single familiar that gets thrown at us. Additionally dodging and running away can only get you so far and in the potentially cramped confines of a labyrinth are not things I'd want to rely on.
We should research spells for close combat. Also as far as we know Energy Bolt can be used in close combat. We will most likely be getting a lot more mana as we level up so we should not have much problem spamming low cost spells like Energy Bolt. Also we should research AOE spells in case we run into a huge number of lesser enemies.

I voted for +80 int so I also prefer not relying on high dex but high speed and powerful ranged attacks can be a very powerful combination.

Graig said:
It might not stay low but if we can find ways to increase it there is little reason why we can't increase our spell damage as much thus keeping the damage gap between spells and melee damage. We should also be grinding daily (and our very fast mana recovery should mean that we can more easily grind skills that use mana).
True but with the right spells we might not always have that big a gap between our spell and melee damage. Also what exactly are we supposed to grind on? We aren't going to find barriers full of zombies like The Gamer's protagonist did and leaving Witches and Litches lying around means that people are going to wind up dieing which while I'm fine with, a lot of the more idealistic puella magi are going to complain about.
We should research spells for close combat. Also as far as we know Energy Bolt can be used in close combat. We will most likely be getting a lot more mana as we level up so we should not have much problem spamming low cost spells like Energy Bolt. Also we should research AOE spells in case we run into a huge number of lesser enemies.

I voted for +80 int so I also prefer not relying on high dex but high speed and powerful ranged attacks can be a very powerful combination.
While I agree on the close combat spells thing we'd still want to know some fencing for such times since we'd still have our rapier out for casting purposes and might need to defend ourselves from an attack.

Wouldn't high speed require a high dex though? Unless we come up with a spell to buff it for us which would use up mana and would likely still benefit from the increased dex.

Having Int 100 will make our skills go up so fast they blur. I'm for it. Just be cautious. Our wish was to directly empower ourself, so we should be stronger than an average PM.

Robotninja said:
Having Int 100 will make our skills go up so fast they blur. I'm for it. Just be cautious. Our wish was to directly empower ourself, so we should be stronger than an average PM.
Uh our wish was:
"Heh, is that so? Well then, I wish that my life is an RPG, and I'm the main character!"

What we did get additionally however:
After all, you have been selected by a Bored Random Omnipotent Being, a BROB, to give himheritthem amusement.
As such, they empowered your own Wish with their not so inconsiderable power, and slightly helped the Incubators' entropy prevention system.
Be warned though, you are now living in interesting times.
So while we might be somewhat stronger then the average puella we're going to wind up taking on much more complicated and dangerous stuff then they would so it evens out.

Since when does the main character face a strong monster on his first fight? No, our first fight will be a weak and easy witch to get us used to fighting. It'll still be hard, but. . .

Robotninja said:
Since when does the main character face a strong monster on his first fight? No, our first fight will be a weak and easy witch to get us used to fighting. It'll still be hard, but. . .
I know our first fight wasn't going to be hard, my point was that while we might have been somewhat stronger the the average puella we were still gong to face stronger enemies in general. So saying that we'll be fine so long as were cautious won't necessarily hold true. It might be true for our first fight but later ones likely won't be as easy.

Malcolmo said:
True but with the right spells we might not always have that big a gap between our spell and melee damage. Also what exactly are we supposed to grind on? We aren't going to find barriers full of zombies like The Gamer's protagonist did and leaving Witches and Litches lying around means that people are going to wind up dieing which while I'm fine with, a lot of the more idealistic puella magi are going to complain about.While I agree on the close combat spells thing we'd still want to know some fencing for such times since we'd still have our rapier out for casting purposes and might need to defend ourselves from an attack.

Wouldn't high speed require a high dex though? Unless we come up with a spell to buff it for us which would use up mana and would likely still benefit from the increased dex.
You can grind skills even without enemies.

Yes I just mentioned the benefits of a high int and dex build (though I think just putting almost all points in int would be better). Ideally we would want something like a flying or teleportation spell to maintain distance from our enemies.

Graig said:
You can grind skills even without enemies.

Yes I just mentioned the benefits of a high int and dex build (though I think just putting almost all points in int would be better). Ideally we would want something like a flying or teleportation spell to maintain distance from our enemies.
Yeah but grinding xp is much more time consuming and inefficient since you can only do quests, which will cause us to slow down as far as growth goes.

Well if we're looking for a stand in until then maybe we could try something like pushing mana into our legs to get ourselves to run faster and jump farther. Or pumping it through our whole body to increase our physical stats at a constant mana drain.

No seriously wot's with all this unbalanced bullshit. We may be the gamer but this isn't a game and this isn't dark souls where everything is predictable and you can pinpoint all the bullshit. If we can be speedblitzed we will die. Having a hundred intelligence is a useless as the Sharingan is to a genin if you have less ability to dodge and hit shit than a school girl.

All of the stat are important untill we begin to harangue our Int into Faux Vit, Dex,and Int Srength with Researched buff spells. The Bolded stats are the most important. Followed by Dex and Vit. you do remeber that the number one cause of Puella death is speedbltiz right?

[X]
Stats: 80 Points left to be distributed. 8 Points per level gained.
Strength - 12+ 4 = 16
Dexterity - 13+ 17 = 30
Vitality - 12+ 8= 20
Intelligence - 20+ 20= 40
Wisdom - 11 + 19= 30
Luck - 8+ 12= 20

[X]You're a mage with with only magic missile and some physical attacks. Play around with your mana a bit more trying to figure out how to make a sheild, a magical based physical strike, or a multiple target spell before investigate the dead lovers.

Larekko12 said:
[X]
Stats: 80 Points left to be distributed. 8 Points per level gained.
Strength - 12+ 4 = 16
Dexterity - 13+ 17 = 30
Vitality - 12+ 8= 20
Intelligence - 20+ 20= 40
Wisdom - 11 + 19= 30
Luck - 8+ 12= 20
Might I suggest going with my build instead?
Malcolmo said:
Strength - 12+13=25
Dexterity - 13+12=25
Vitality - 12+10=22
Intelligence - 20+31=51
Wisdom - 11+10=21
Luck - 8+5=13
It's not as fast or as lucky as yours is but it is somewhat more tankish and let's us get the useful perk at 50 int.

Larekko12 said:
No seriously wot's with all this unbalanced bullshit. We may be the gamer but this isn't a game and this isn't dark souls where everything is predictable and you can pinpoint all the bullshit. If we can be speedblitzed we will die. Having a hundred intelligence is a useless as the Sharingan is to a genin if you have less ability to dodge and hit shit than a school girl.

All of the stat are important untill we begin to harangue our Int into Faux Vit, Dex,and Int Srength with Researched buff spells. The Bolded stats are the most important. Followed by Dex and Vit. you do remeber that the number one cause of Puella death is speedbltiz right?
The only physical stat that would make us faster is dexterity and we don't know if it affects our spellcasting or mental speed (which for all we know is determined by intelligence). Strength is probably our least important stat (with the possible exception of wisdom and luck since we don't know what those stats do) and vitality does not increase hp so it is not that important either.

Malcolmo I made my build as a deliberate rejection of your own. That is too much Strenght and not enough of our actual prime stats.

Graig.

Sharingan. Sharingan.

It doesn't matter if you can calculate Pi to the fifteen thousand decimal in .5 seconds if you body won't move fast enough to do anything about it.

What do you mean Vit doesn't increase HP?

Larekko12 said:
Graig.

Sharingan. Sharingan.

It doesn't matter if you can calculate Pi to the fifteen thousand decimal in .5 seconds if you body won't move fast enough to do anything about it.

What do you mean Vit doesn't increase HP?
Yes being faster is very valuable in almost all games but dexterity seldom increases the speed of spellcasting (which is what matters most for us since we choose the sorcerer class). We don't know how we can get faster at that. Since we don't know exactly what the stats do it is better to increase them one at a time so that we can find out the effects of each skill. Dexterity is probably still the most valuable physical stat but it should be more important to reach 100 int than spending points on dexterity.

When the protagonist of The Gamer increased his Vit he did not get more hp (which is often the most important effect of Vit in games).

Larekko12 said:
Malcolmo I made my build as a deliberate rejection of your own. That is too much Strength and not enough of our actual prime stats.
Would moving 5 points from strength and bringing dex to 28 and vit to 25 be acceptable to you?

[X] Intelligence to 100.

[X]Int to 100.

We can blast familars to death to level up.

Robotninja said:
[X]Int to 100.

We can blast familars to death to level up.
Don't familiars need the witch to still be alive to get respawned though? While I'm fine with playing a more morally dubious character I doubt the more idealistic PMs would appreciate us doing that. Since it means people are going to end up dieing.

We won't be blasting familiars to level up.

We will be dying like little bitchs when a fluff ball with scisors fucking speedblitzes and cuts our head. Puttting everything into is retarded unless this new transcendent mind instantly derives Barreirs, shotgun bullets, rapid movement techniques, and thought techniques.

Have you learned nothing from DBZ? From Naruto? From Dc vs Marvel Debate where DC wins to unlimited Speedblitzing? Unless INt 100 makes all our shots three times as big as a Linebacker and hit more powerfully then a fucking main battle tank it is not enough.

Larekko12 said:
Have you learned nothing from DBZ? From Naruto? From Dc vs Marvel Debate where DC wins to unlimited Speedblitzing? Unless INt 100 makes all our shots three times as big as a Linebacker and hit more powerfully then a fucking main battle tank it is not enough.
If we wanted a high physical stat fighter we should have chosen something other than The Sorcerer. High Int and Dex could be a viable build but having a far lower Int would hurt a lot and it might be that we need high Wis as well.

We don't yet know much about what the effect of each stat is and Int is the only stat which is almost certain to be important for our character.

Graig said:
If we wanted a high physical stat fighter we should have chosen something other than The Sorcerer. High Int and Dex could be a viable build but having a far lower Int would hurt a lot and it might be that we need high Wis as well.

We don't yet know much about what the effect of each stat is and Int is the only stat which is almost certain to be important for our character.
I don't want a high physical stat character. I want mage with High, Int, Wis, Luck and DEx.

I also want to want ot be able to dodge weel enough before we can get mystical walls of titanic force. Leaving out stats specifically the stats dealing wit aiming our death balls at barely above humans levels is a terrible idea.

the Mobs would be pulling Darks Souls Level on challenge bullshit on us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back