• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Quest Background Help

Asterinium

I trust you know where the happy button is?
So... I was planning to start a Digimon/ Cultivation Quest but hit some bumps while trying to choose the background stats for rolls and etc.

The idea just keep popping up on my mind ever since I saw the similarities between the two and couldn't help but search for something like it. Much to my disappointment I found nothing, so I decided to make one.

I already decided that the cultivation levels will be Baby, In Train... until Mega. The Dao have a uncanny resemblance to the Digi Crest as well.

The idea is that humans absorb the data of a digimon through a cultivation manual of shorts. Then they get a digimon egg inside of them and after it hatches they can transform into that digimon at will and will be that same digimon For all battle porpoises.

My problem is how to make a nice quest with the numbers and whatnot, some help would be nice. Also, I'm open to any questions for the next hours.

My problem is how to make a nice quest with the numbers and whatnot, some help would be nice. Also, I'm open to any questions for the next hours.
My advice, reconsider how hard you want the numbers to be. Having a look at the start of your quest, there are so many numbers involved my eyes glaze over. If your running a more story based game, then your numbers will get in the way of the story progressing. Its why I moved away from hard numbers, because a level 1 Rattata shouldn't beat a level 75 Mewtwo no matter what strategy it uses.

However, if the numbers and the appeal of randomness is what your audience is looking for, then my advice is make sure the math is actually transparent. Just keep in mind that the more you include numbers and randomness, the less control you (and your players for that matter) actually have over your quest.

• Data Scan - 1d10 (0/1)
      Database - 1d10 (0/1)
      Charisma - 1d10 (0/1)
      Programming - 1d10 (0/1)

• Noble - +1 to situations where social maneuvering or diplomacy are necessary.
      Allowance - You gain a few data packs per turn.
      Specially Tailored Manual - You gain 2d10 until Rookie level every time you try cultivate.

• Specialized Sect (Dragon): +1 to finding any defensive or offensive techniques. +1 for cultivation if you have a Dragon type digimon.
      Competitive Place : You can compete in the arena to gain resources and experience. Every time you gain a stat point, you gain 1 experience for the next one.
      Dragon Compendium: You gain access to the Dragon Compendium on the library of the sect, which can teach how to cultivate high tier Dragon digimon.

• Chibomon - Baby (0/2)
      Dragon / None

• Strength - 2d10 (0/1)
      Defense - 2d10 (0/1)
      Agility - 1d10 (0/1)
      Special - 1d10 (0/1)

• Speed 1 - You can reroll one Agility dice if it's a 1.

• None

I've done up a basic tabulated sheet for you. Use it as an example of how it works. It follows a basic Super Form - Tab structure.

Use the
Code:
[tabs]
command to start a tabulated sheet. You obviously close this with [/tabs], much like any other BBcode or HTML tag.

Use
Code:
[tab]
to create a tab. If you use =, you can give it a name (which I recommend), for example
Code:
[tab=Ezekiel Goldenrod]
, which produces the first level above.

Each level of tags gets its own
Code:
[tabs]
for cleanliness, but in that same level, you just close the tag and open the next one in order to add another to the right. You can quote this post to get the code I used, and feel free to edit it.

• Data Scan - 1d10 (0/1)
      Database - 1d10 (0/1)
      Charisma - 1d10 (0/1)
      Programming - 1d10 (0/1)

• Noble - +1 to situations where social maneuvering or diplomacy are necessary.
      Allowance - You gain a few data packs per turn.
      Specially Tailored Manual - You gain 2d10 until Rookie level every time you try cultivate.

• Specialized Sect (Dragon): +1 to finding any defensive or offensive techniques. +1 for cultivation if you have a Dragon type digimon.
      Competitive Place : You can compete in the arena to gain resources and experience. Every time you gain a stat point, you gain 1 experience for the next one.
      Dragon Compendium: You gain access to the Dragon Compendium on the library of the sect, which can teach how to cultivate high tier Dragon digimon.

• Chibomon - Baby (0/2)
      Dragon / None

• Strength - 2d10 (0/1)
      Defense - 2d10 (0/1)
      Agility - 1d10 (0/1)
      Special - 1d10 (0/1)

• Speed 1 - You can reroll one Agility dice if it's a 1.

• None

I've done up a basic tabulated sheet for you. Use it as an example of how it works. It follows a basic Super Form - Tab structure.

Use the
Code:
[tabs]
command to start a tabulated sheet. You obviously close this with [/tabs], much like any other BBcode or HTML tag.

Use
Code:
[tab]
to create a tab. If you use =, you can give it a name (which I recommend), for example
Code:
[tab=Ezekiel Goldenrod]
, which produces the first level above.

Each level of tags gets its own
Code:
[tabs]
for cleanliness, but in that same level, you just close the tag and open the next one in order to add another to the right. You can quote this post to get the code I used, and feel free to edit it.
Thanks, you are a Angel.

My advice, reconsider how hard you want the numbers to be. Having a look at the start of your quest, there are so many numbers involved my eyes glaze over. If your running a more story based game, then your numbers will get in the way of the story progressing. Its why I moved away from hard numbers, because a level 1 Rattata shouldn't beat a level 75 Mewtwo no matter what strategy it uses.

However, if the numbers and the appeal of randomness is what your audience is looking for, then my advice is make sure the math is actually transparent. Just keep in mind that the more you include numbers and randomness, the less control you (and your players for that matter) actually have over your quest.
To be fair, the randomness and the numbers have been what drawn me to write a quest rather than a normal story. I normally get bored very easy if things get stale, so I Need this little Boost to help me.
And for the number of numbers, at time when I was planning this i thought it had a appropriate number, but then again I have no idea of what I'm doing. I just thought, "I'll need this, and this, and this.." and then tried to press it all together in what I have right now.

Most of these numbers will be used only situationally, so the screen probably will not flood with numbers in practice, that's my theory.

My other bit of advice. Standard time for votes is usually 24 hours. This allows people everywhere a chance to actually read, since time zones are a thing.

My other bit of advice. Standard time for votes is usually 24 hours. This allows people everywhere a chance to actually read, since time zones are a thing.
That's actually something I haven't thought before. I will do so in the next chapter forward.
In the end I updated the stats, was doing it right now, because it had some troubles during testing phase of the fighting scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back