• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
2.11 Illicium
Salem was deeply confused by recent events. Pleased, yes, but also confused.

It appeared that Ozma finally made enemies capable of circumventing the vaults; Salem could not fathom how they did so, but it certainly happened. She did not know who took the Lamp, but her Hound and Leonardo were both gone. Had it been the wizard's doing, her newest pawn would have alerted her.

A conundrum, truly; that Hound was reinforcements for the lion. With Tyrian gone, Salem needed to conserve her human agents. In hindsight, she should have sent more than one, or Hazel as well. Capturing Ruby Rose for processing would be an even greater exertion now, assuming the girl knew she was being targeted.

Then again, everything Salem knew about this young Huntress told her that it could not have been her who broke into the vault at Haven. She had no reason to want the Relic, or to go behind the venerable Ozpin's back. Or Leonardo, for that matter; his last report clearly stated that she seemed to have taken a liking to him.

Her thoughts were going in circles by now. Salem disregarded them with a frown, all but glaring out of the window; her preferred conference room allowed the witch to look out onto a majority of the Grimm pools dotting the land around her castle. One of them had shifted oddly, its colouration ever so slightly off. A faint orange sheen became visible in the bubbling surface from time to time. It was a curious development, but the emerging Grimm were no different from the rest; Salem reasoned that examining this could wait until later. She always had time on her side after all.

She may have reconsidered that decision if she remembered that this particular pool was the one a radiant moth's corpse was thrown into. Although Lumina remained in her memory still, she did not make the connection.

While Salem pondered the circular logic she kept getting back to, an echo of footsteps reached her ears. They swiftly grew louder until her remaining retainers entered. She could tell each by their gait alone; Cinder limped front and center, flanked by Hazel's surprisingly quiet steps to the left and Arthur's even rhythm, like clockwork, to the right.

"I found our culprits," Cinder announced victoriously before Salem even turned around. "They have the Lamp, the Crown, and the Staff."

Her previous, cocky smirk was back in place, the witch noted upon turning. Although it could not hide how weak the girl's body had become; not quite frail, but pale and thin much like when they first met. Cinder remained unconcerned with her condition, though. She continued once she knew she had the queen's attention.

"They're currently hiding in Mt. Glenn. I imagine they will go for Shade Academy next."

"Unlikely," Arthur cut off that line of argument at once. His gaze rested on Salem, calm as always. A vaguely pleased smirk played around his features. "Shade is subtly arming itself inside and out. Whatever they want all four Relics for, the Sword remains out of their grasp for now."

The correction was accepted with grace. Cinder had mellowed out of late. Salem offered her protegè a nod and motioned for everyone to get seated. The girl's recent showings were pitiful, but she did put together a good network of informants to make up for them.

Once settled down, Arthur threw Cinder a look oozing faux concern. "Are you sure you're feeling alright? Not a single bit of bravado, nothing? You haven't even 'suggested' you go yourself to take the Relics."

To even his own surprise, Cinder had no more than a bored look for him. Her growth was appreciated but also worrisome to an extent; Cinder's naked ambition was what allowed her to be led around so well. Nobody missed that she changed in that regard, yet her conduct was exemplary.

"Our experiences change us," Hazel murmured, once again attempting to pacify the warring groups.

Cinder huffed in response, offering the large and scarred man a nod. "That they do," she agreed. "I was humbled, so I needed to reconsider a few things. That aside, I need not ask to join this endeavour."

So saying her gaze went to Salem, who in turn watched her impassively. "If you spent just a moment to imagine our Queen's wishes, you would already know that."

The queen herself arched a brow imperiously.

"Oh? And what, pray tell, do you imagine I want?"

The subtle rebuke immediately had Cinder grow more demure; she bowed her head, but spoke regardless: "To claim the Relics. Three out of four in one place, of course we will all go to ensure success."

"Yet we do not know who they are," Arthur argued. "Or why they came for the Relics. It could be a ruse."

He spoke with calm logic instead of passion, as always in opposition to Cinder's fiery demeanour. The girl herself scoffed.

"Please. What goal would Ozpin have in removing the Relics from their vaults where they are safest? Weren't you the one who confirmed the old man is still sitting pretty in his tower? He has no idea and anyone else is nothing but a fool. Even if they knew about us, they will never anticipate their failure before they fall."

That was all Salem needed to realise her protegè's confidence yet remained; it was merely tempered by bitter defeat. Admirable.

"She is not wrong," Hazel agreed. His deep voice almost reverberated across the room. "But I don't like going in blind."

Arthur rubbed his chin in thought at that; he knew as well as the rest of them that Cinder had a point.

Salem steepled her fingers to rest her chin on them, addressing the room calmly: "You are correct, but so is Cinder. Perhaps we deal with a band of aspiring thieves. Perhaps a new group that heard tell of me and decided to take matters into their own hands. Regardless, they will learn their folly in time."

Of course this was just a middling success. In truth such brazenness intrigued her. "And perhaps," she decided to add idly, "we can even make them join us."

Salem's lips curled into a faint smile in the silence that followed, a motion devoid of warmth. Nobody else spoke, waiting for her.

"Yes," she decided. "We will confront these thieves and give them the chance to become a part of something greater. Should they refuse, well."

She left the sentence unfinished, but everyone got her meaning just fine.

After an appropriately long pause, Salem moved on to a related matter: "And while we are there, we may as well pressure Vale afterward."

Plans were to be set in motion now; an army of Grimm right at Ozma's doorstep was just the perfect icing on this cake. If she could obtain three Relics in one fell swoop and put Vale to the torch, her desires would soon be fulfilled.

Cinder was pleased at the announcement. Arthur frowned. Hazel remained stoic. It was a characteristic response from all of them.

Once the queen concluded their meeting and left to begin her own preparations however, the two men did something distinctly unusual: they confronted Cinder.

Hazel was a little surprised that Arthur would be concerned, but let him take the lead to see what would happen.

"What was that?" Arthur demanded of the younger woman. "What games are you playing now, you insufferable girl?"

It was uncalled for, but those two never got along. Suspicion fit Arthur's motives better than concern anyhow. For her part, Cinder only offered a serene smile in response. Hazel may not be the smartest man in the world, but even he could tell something must have happened to her. The young woman lost much of her bluster and ego. Perhaps too much.

"I do not know what you mean, Arthur," she deflected. "Everything is going perfectly for me."

"Oh? Despite your fall from grace?"

Where Arthur's taunts would normally rile her up, today Cinder just chuckled. It had been like this for a while, but he clearly still disliked that his taunts stopped working. The scientist walked off shaking his head.

Hazel was less easy to shake, though; today just cemented that something was very wrong with Cinder. He fell into step with her, once again taking note of how she favoured one leg. The limp became more pronounced over time; Cinder's body was failing her ever so slowly. He doubted the others noticed, even if they paid as much attention to their surroundings as he did.

"Are you sure you're alright?" Hazel could not help but ask. They may be rebels against Remnant, but he never took this to mean he should not care for others.

Yet all the question earned him was an idle look, followed by a scrunched brow. Hazel was never good at reading women; Cinder was an even greater enigma than most, he had no idea what she thought.

In the end she stopped to face him. The sight was almost comical with their height difference, but Cinder was not the slightest bit intimidated.

"Hazel Rainard," she mused idly. "I realise we never spoke much before. But now I am curious: what brought you to Salem in the first place?"

That was definitely not where he expected the conversation to go. Not that it was a secret, the entire group just made little effort to talk about their pasts. Hazel suspected that Arthur already knew about them all; he himself decided not to poke whatever darkness may lie in his allies' past. Cinder never quite seemed to care and Tyrian had been insane...ly obvious. It did not do to think ill of the dead.

Then again, this did not mean he liked talking about it. Although it was curious enough that Cinder even thought to ask.

After mulling it over for a moment, Hazel decided to explain: "My sister was a Huntress. Died against Salem in a fight she couldn't win. Ozpin set her up to this, sets all of them up." A familiar flash of rage turned his expression into a vicious snarl. "I'm going to kill him," Hazel vowed. "However often I can get my hands on him after he reincarnates."

Cinder listened patiently, once again unaffected even when his voice turned into a low growl. In the end she nodded.

"Revenge, then. I understand that quite well. But why with Salem?"

He barked a quiet laugh at that, all anger forgotten. "She made it clear to me there is no defeating her. I tried and tried and tried to kill her, but she always came back. Why should I not when I don't care what happens after?"

It was a sound logic; if he could not beat them, he would join them. As distasteful as some of Salem's tasks may be, resistance was futile.

Cinder, however, huffed. She even offered him a faint smile. "Now this I disagree with."

"How do you mean?" he asked back, intrigued despite himself.

She walked past him then, absently patting his broad shoulder. "Your sister," she began. "Did she not care for the future, either? You say you want to avenge her meaningless death, but don't they all go into this pursuing a brighter future?"

His low growl did not deter her. She dared talk about Gretchen like she ever met her. Hazel roughly yanked Cinder back by the arm, but she only bore that same smile.

"You do not scare me," she said. And she meant it. These hands that killed dozens, perhaps even hundreds, could not elicit even a simple twitch from her. It only made Hazel angrier, so much so that he had to fight for composure. Her sheer disrespect toward the dead tested his temper; to pretend like they were told the truth before they fell.

"You think I won't hurt you for what you just said?" he growled, grip tightening. A golden aura like sunlight sprung up to protect Cinder, whose brow arched much like Salem's did earlier.

"No," she responded, the first in a long time to remain serene in the fact of his wrath. "I don't care one bit. Salem may just throw you away for being a liability, but that is fine too. I am already getting what I want, even if you kill me here and now."

Then she giggled. A soft, cruel sound that sent a chill down Hazel's spine. It was as if someone emptied a bucket of ice-cold water over him, dousing the flames of wrath. He reluctantly let go, but Cinder did not retreat even now that she could. Rather, she slowly placed a hand on his shoulder.

"For what it's worth, I apologise. I can not say I care much for your rhetoric, but it is dear to you. And yet... if you were to die before your revenge can be completed, would you still be content? Is this truly where you want to end?"

"Yes."

Cinder looked him in the eyes then, as if searching for something. She only found conviction and inclined her head. "Very well. Thank you for the conversation."

She made to leave, but was stopped when Hazel grasped her arm again. This time more gently. "Where are you going with this?" he asked, unable to make sense of this entire situation.

In turn Cinder glanced back one last time. The serenity, the vindictive glee, it was all gone; only calm remained.

"Revenge is a worthy goal," she told him. "Throwing your own life away in the process is fine, it's yours to do with as you please. But throwing away the lives of others?"

He took a deep breath and let go. Cinder walked away without another word, though no more were needed. She had a point, even.

Hazel's brows furrowed and he walked away in another direction to think.

Meanwhile, Arthur Watts sat in his little lab.

Partly completed prosthetics lined the walls, neatly organised. Cables were orderly bunched together, running between a powerful computer setup and six screens. Three contained reference files, two his current projects, and one a mildly interesting video that served as background noise.

The erstwhile atlesean scientist's expression was relaxed as he typed away on the keyboard. This new worm would exploit loopholes in the code base he himself helped build; how ironic, really. To tear down what he raised up. Alas, they brought it on themselves. He just needed to be careful not to point them toward those holes, but Arthur was a professional for a reason.

He was also interrupted by a knock on the door. Arthur's fingers paused, a soft frown marring his features. The rest usually left him alone and Salem called for him instead of seeking him out.

"Who is it?"

The handle was pushed down in lieu of a response. Arthur turned in his chair just in time to see Cinder revealed on the other side. His hackles rose at her presence, but she simply strode inside. The girl studied his setup with a smattering of curiousity.

Arthur heaved a sigh at that. Cinder was the last person he wanted to deal with in his free time.

"Ah. You. Kindly see yourself out."

He then turned back to his work, switching through various security feeds of areas his viruses already infiltrated. There was no real reason, Arthur just tried to look busy so Cinder took the hint.

Unfortunately, the impudent child rather continued with that irritating habit of doing the opposite of what he wanted; she walked up and came to stand behind him, watching over his shoulder. Her presence made Arthur tense up bit by bit as the seconds ticked by; having Cinder Fall where he could not see her was a recipe for disaster.

But with her being adamant to stay, he had no real choice, now did he? Arthur was not a fighter, he could not bodily remove the damned girl.

"Isn't it amazing?" she finally said. Her words held no malice and that gave him pause. Arthur glanced at Cinder's reflection on the screen, only to find the girl still studying his computer.

"Once you consider how many moving bits are needed for these electronics," she elaborated. "Electricity, a slew of microscopic components, and the patterns needed to manipulate them. To the point a hunk of silicon can be trained to sapience."

She was buttering him up, he knew that. But at the same time Arthur knew it worked. He always thought similarly.

"It shows the heights of human ingenuity," he agreed, pleasantly surprised if cautious. He had no idea what her game was.

Cinder continued to muse, but she finally gave him something concrete: "And yet you are here, acting to tear it all down. I wonder what pushed you this far?"

So she was testing him, perhaps on the queen's order. Arthur barely stopped himself from sneering and went back to appearing busy. "None of your business, girl."

A hand came to rest on the back of his chair, making Arthur freeze up. But the expected attack did not come, Cinder merely huffed.

"Is it vengeance," she ventured, "like with Hazel?"

His scowl at the reminder was apparently answer enough. The girl's reflection nodded. "It seems to be a unifying theme. Salem seeks out those too angry to care what happens next. But I am curious: what will you do when your actions made it all crash down to the ground? There will be no more machines. No more computers."

Now it was for him to huff. Her logic was too short-sighted, as always.

"How naive. You always expected results in weeks and months. These things take time. Humans are resilient creatures, I will not live long enough to see the end."

"With this attitude you won't, no."

That flippant response was the final straw, no matter how serious she acted about it. Arthur turned his chair and dislodged Cinder's hand in the process. He had enough.

"What do you want?"

"Understanding," she answered evenly, "no more and no less. You are an atlesean elite, could have had a wonderful career. Yet you rather faked your death and joined Salem."

Arthur exhaled slowly, scowling. This girl had no idea the commitments he made, the promises he was given, the indignity of having well-off fools walk all over his well-earned reputation.

"Some things are not worth wasting my life for. Atlas is one of them."

For some reason Cinder nodded. She had taken something from his words; perhaps her recent change in attitude allowed her to sniff out the years of Arthur's work wasted by the sudden promotion of robotics over all other fields. An army of soulless automatons to preserve human lives. So much money wasted on AI that could be better used elsewhere, but no.

"Spite, then," Cinder cut off his dark thoughts. "Revenge."

Her words hit surprisingly close to home. Arthur's eyes narrowed, but she continued before he could offer any sort of scathing remark: "Believe you me, I get that. But have you considered that the best revenge is a life well lived? Go to another kingdom, start anew with your credentials? Anyone would have taken you."

The worst thing about it was that she had a point. No matter how grudgingly Arthur had to admit it, the fact did not change. He himself considered it more than once.

In the end he stood. His rather lanky frame had a full head of height over Cinder, who was not the least bit intimidated. He did not expect her to, truth be told. Arthur merely looked at her, more tired than annoyed now.

"Salem has a gift for finding us in our darkest hour. Promising us that which we desire the most, just then. And once we are in her grasp, we can no longer leave. So asking 'what if' is a waste of breath."

Seeing the way she peered at him, as if genuinely curious about something, Arthur's glare returned. "How about you finally tell me what this is about, hm?"

Seconds ticked by as the two stared at each other. Though Arthur would have loved to set her on fire with his mind, he did not have such a power. This quiet intensity she had to herself began to upset him again, too; was she planning to kill him? Was this a setup?

Then a hand came to rest on his chest. It lay there ever so softly, almost innocent. Her words were anything but.

"Destroy evidence of your involvement in this. All of it. And be ready to vanish."

His eyes widened in surprise. She could not seriously be insinuating what he thought she was. Not Cinder.

Then it clicked. Arthur's breath hitched. He finally realised that yes, the thing wearing Cinder's skin said exactly what he thought. The failing body, her change in behaviour, it all suddenly made sense.

"What are you?"

'Cinder' grinned, an ugly sight that revealed a missing canine. A flicker of orange gleamed from her eyes for but a moment, gone with a blink.

"Someone who, just like you, exists by spiting those that want to bring them down. Dawn will break soon."

The hand on his chest began to glow as if on cue. It was ever so faint, yet doubtlessly pure sunlight. Brighter than anything that shone on these lands in centuries.

Her expression mellowed out, becoming more benign. "Tonight you will have a pleasant dream of what could be. We will not speak of this again. It is ultimately your choice if you live to see the end."

So saying, 'Cinder' walked away. Arthur stood where he was for long minutes, trying to feel any differences with himself. Nothing seemed changed yet he knew something had happened.

In the end he slowly sank back into the chair, face buried in his hands. Just what had he gotten himself into? If he kept this quiet and the thing's plot failed, Salem would have him killed once she found out.

But if this plot succeeded....

His gaze slowly turned to his bed, the only bit of luxury he afforded himself beside his workstation. It was late. Perhaps he could think more clearly about this after a good sleep?

2.12 At The Precipice
Days passed and preparations continued on both sides. 'Cinder' was pleased about the progress made, especially because Salem did not seem to suspect anything yet. The infiltrator's own lapse in judgement regarding Arthur Watts worried her at first, but he clearly kept his silence. Even just a shadow of doubt would have been felt. Then again, he was also known to dislike Cinder; Salem may just disregard his words as paranoia or petty rivalry.

He may still be working on setting her up to fail at the most important juncture, but at this point Lumina did not worry too much anymore. He could not even imagine the true extent of her plan, much less how to circumvent it. The only way to do so would be to hide Salem far away for a long, long time. She would not even realise her impending doom until it was too late.

And for all Lumina knew, whatever dream he had that night may have swayed him after all. It was the true reason she did not even attempt to work on Hazel; not only was this one's opinion rarely clouded by personal issues, he also had no future left to grasp. He would keep going and Arthur would not.

There was still a small chance Salem played the game at a higher level and feigned nonchalance to surprise them. Lumina doubted that, though; her enemy's mind did not work like that. Salem would never allow her opposition to line up all their cards without interference. No matter how certain she was of her own success.

"If I may ask a question?" she spoke up quietly. 'Cinder' stood behind Salem, watching as the 'mistress' mutated various creatures of Grimm into growing wings. A gargantuan beast slowly assembled in the background, continuously being fed void matter from a dozen pools including the contaminated one. Bulbous but also capable of flight, this monster would carry them all to Vale. A testament of power and hubris.

Once Salem finished with her current specimen, she finally motioned for 'Cinder' to proceed. The fading woman inclined her head. "I recently grew curious. Why is it that you conspire against Remnant? Is vengeance on Ozpin really all there is to it?"

Salem paused for a long moment. She slowly turned her head with a searching look; the real Cinder would have cowered before that stare, apologised for asking questions beyond her station. Lumina had to suppress a snort.

Even if this body died, everything had already been put into motion. Her plan would not be stopped. Cancerous growths bubbled deep within the still assembling whale. They grew bigger with every passing day, dormant only under Lumina's will; the cancer hid in this beast's flesh, much like it did with all the rest. Her light had solidified and once again resisted the void that sought to consume it.

"And what, pray tell, drew your curiousity to this subject?"

A deflection did not suit Salem. Be it pride or certainty, she hardly ever did this. In this case Lumina reasoned it may be suspicion that her tool developed unfavourable views. She was not even wrong, though the truth eluded her. This tool now belonged to someone else.

'Cinder' demurely averted her gaze. "Idle musings most of all. Mere revenge on a man... feels so small. For you."

She still felt Salem's gaze bore into her and pretended to be cowed. Suspicion was to be expected, really. Salem's fate was decided, but Lumina still got curious if there was no more to her enemy.

In the end the unkillable woman huffed ever so quietly.

"You are correct. This is not revenge on the wizard anymore. He is merely an annoyance at this point. No, this is revenge upon the gods. I will destroy the humanity they created a second time, then call them back to behold their folly and despair."

There was a certain intensity to her words, yet they were cold like outer space. Lumina scoffed at the inherent contradiction of destroying what she herself brought back, but Cinder's expression was held carefully blank. What irked her the most was how similar the two of them were, though; had Salem not made an enemy of Lumina, they may have gotten along quite well.

"I see," she murmured without raising her eyes. "My apologies for failing to realise, of course your aspirations are far greater." Just speaking the words revulsed her, but thinking of her imminent victory made it bearable.

She absently nudged another bulbous outgrowth away from the void Salem now animated to change form. It would not do for the fool to find even a hint of abnormality. Her control was good, but she was ultimately not of the void; she could not see or feel what hid in its depths.

Thinking of the void reminded her of the Wyrm, however. Salem thankfully turned her head and thus missed the deep scowl that took over 'Cinder's' features. The old loathing still ran strong.

But at the same time Lumina realised something. After seeing how malleable the void on Remnant was, how it formed into hollow beasts so close to what she was familiar with, Lumina understood now. It gave her clarity, yet little joy. She was so busy with her revenge on Salem that she never put actual thought into what they spoke of during their conversation. With how it all coincided, she now realised that the pieces fit together.

The void beneath Hallownest was born from the blood of an alien dragon. The Wyrm emerged of that being's corpse.

Once Salem dismissed her, she wandered back to her own chambers. 'Cinder' kept her introspective silence as she examined the conclusion from all angles, but found nothing that could contradict it.

Upon entering her room and closing the door, she spoke: "The God of Darkness is dead."

Nothing happened for a moment, then Grimm appeared in the only chair. He crossed one leg over the other, lounging with little decorum. "How do you reckon?" he inquired, politely intrigued.

He earned himself a mirthless grin. Lumina sat down on the bed facing her brother.

"We both saw his corpse. From his blood came forth Hallownest's void and from his dying aspirations rose the Pale King. At least his jealousy of his brother is indeed true, considering how he abhorred me." Lumina had to shake her head at that realisation, heaving a sigh. "It ultimately doesn't matter, but there is a certain irony to it. He took my moths from me, now I am taking his humans from him post-mortem."

"And if he is still alive somewhere?" Grimm prompted curiously, but they both knew that was impossible.

Lumina shook her head. "No. Even I barely survived that vessel. Not to mention that the greater being was already dead before the Pale King died. Assuming he, too, saved himself into a lesser form... no. There is no reincarnation for those of Hallownest. He could not have saved himself again."

She was certain of this if nothing else. The God of Darkness was truly gone.

Brother and sister quietly mulled this over for a time, each lost in thought. In the end Lumina decided to close the subject, though she could not quite hide the caustic note from her voice: "And even if he is, he will never reveal himself to me if he knows what is good for him."

"It seems even your new perspective on life could not wash it all away," Grimm commented with a chuckle. It grew longer when she simply glared at him; just like Lumina did not fear Salem, her brother did not fear her.

Once he had his fun however, Grimm leaned forward with renewed interest. "And what of the God of Light?"

It was a good question; 'Cinder' remained silent for a time to mull it over, slowly hugging a pillow to her chest. "I do not know," she ultimately said. Her emotions were getting more jumbled by the second. "And I do not know how to feel about it. Progeny was never a consideration, not since the beginning. I never thought one had hatched."

Her eyes quivered for a single moment, both Cinder's and her dream self's. Lumina long since gave up on the prospect of family beyond her one brother. Now there may be one, or have been one.

Meanwhile, Grimm took her confusion jovially. "Perhaps this one is of a different origin," he reasoned. "Though I would not begrudge you a child of your own. Mayhaps it will mellow you out a bit more?"

He received a twofold, unamused look and chuckled once more. Lumina still did not know what to make of the situation, but she knew one thing: "I do not believe in coincidences. Another Higher Being aligned to the same cosmic force as I? There must be a relation." But even saying so, she could only sigh. "Regardless, he is long gone from Remnant. Even if these Relics can truly call them back, I have little hope this one is any more alive than the Wyrm. And where a god of darkness came from, I do not know. Do you happen to be involved with that, little brother?"

Grimm threw up his hands in mock surrender. At this point she suspected he acted the jester on purpose to distract her from the heavy thoughts.

"Not at all, sister dear. As you should know, I am not aligned to darkness or anything even comparable."

"Yes, yes. Life is your element."

"How marvelous you remember!" he drawled with clearly audible sarcasm. The frown it elicited only received a grin from him, then he made a dismissive motion. "Regardless, they made a different pair from us. Even unintentionally, the countless suns across the universe are of your making. They nourish the life I so covet and whose cycle I endlessly repeat. These two brothers were not the same."

This, they apprently agreed on. Lumina nodded. "Lesser, then? Or simply different?"

Grimm shrugged. "Who can tell? All I know is that we came first, or at least you did. Unless another gestated along with you?"

'Cinder' shook her head at that. "No. You are my only brother."

"And your children?"

And they were back with the thing she did not really want to consider. As much as the prospect excited and hurt her in equal measure, Lumina could only shrug. "Should he actually be mine, it will be a while until we meet. If he yet lives, that is." She sighed. "I need centuries at least to rise once more."

"Optimistic of you. Not to mention impatient. A mere few centuries?"

"It only took the Wyrm a few centuries to reduce me to this state."

"And yet climbing up a mountain is harder than falling down."

"Get lost."

She threw a tiny beam of light at her brother, who vanished in crimson flame before it connected. He cackled all the while, victorious in having annoyed her once again. Lumina and Cinder sighed in unison.

It ultimately did not matter how the Brother Gods happened. It did not matter who they were or are, or what became of them. Maybe one day it would, but that was still in the future; she would rather die another death than ask her idiot brother for help finding the one still unaccounted for.

All that mattered for now was what she had at hand: all four Relics would be hers before long. She would personally dismantle the Light Relics, Staff and Lamp, to consume their Essence that so aligned with hers. The Darkness Relics, Crown and Sword, she would destroy as they affronted her nature. The Sword of Destruction was simply dangerous, but the Crown of Choice peeved her personally; seeing the future, while not impossible, was folly. One could predict a path yet untread, but even a higher being like she or Grimm lacked the perception range and computational power to do so. And even if one managed, it was but one of countless possibilities.

Naturally, her plan for the Relics remained a secret from everyone. Not even Summer knew. Lumina doubted that her friends would give more than a token protest, but Ozpin and others in power certainly would complain.

She shook her head and put those musings aside. Her thoughts were better spent on the immediate future.

It only took two more days until preparations were complete; there was not a hint of betrayal from Arthur throughout. If anything, he gave her a faint nod the one time they passed each other in the hallways.

Just as Salem's entourage walked up the void whale's tongue however, an entire pack of Hounds skulked by. They, too, boarded.

Hazel and Arthur shuddered at the sight, likely from their animal instincts telling them something was wrong.

Arthur motioned for the unfamiliar creatures. "What are those things?"

"Insurance, if nothing else," Salem answered curtly. "They will do quite nicely."

The message was received and he did not say any more on the matter. 'Cinder' just smiled, faintly amused by the spectacle and yet another mistake. Salem could not know that every single Hound carried a faint trail of Essence. One in particular emanated it in spades, however. The beast gave no indicator of noticing her, but Lumina clearly saw its faintly bloated belly. The half-corpse hidden within continued to channel light into herself, growing ever more densely packed with it; she was biding her time until they would strike, much like the moth herself.

Then Salem's voice cut through the silence: "Speaking of insurance, Arthur." He immediately snapped to attention. "Your proposal does have merit. I added several Bullheads to the equipment list, just in case the lot of you need to evacuate."

Now two out of three followers were pleased, if not with the same thing. 'Cinder' threw her unexpected co-conspirator a faint smile behind Salem's back. Hazel frowned but did not comment as they walked inside. The journey would take some time, yet they all knew the end approached.

Their opposition was just as aware of this fact. Work at Mt. Glenn continued apace.

Six days had passed since the counter-conspiracists first arrived in the area, but classes started back up as well. Which meant that Raven's Semblance saw her abused as a taxi.

Selina had no idea why a woman like her joined them, much less let them use her powers like that. Maybe Ruby was right and Raven was nicer than she let on; it was kind of funny to think about.

Her thoughts were cut off when a hand closed around her arm. Cardin was easy to recognise once she paid attention, but by then he already dragged her away.

"Heya, what's up?"

There was no response at first. She stumbled a little from the brisk pace, but kept up with him. His grip was like iron, too. Weiss noticed and followed them with Penny and Pyrrha at her heels. If Selina were not busy being confused by Cardin's behaviour, she would wave them off.

Then she was pushed into a corner, surrounded by all of CRDL. Selina was not exactly intimidated, but by now their behaviour ticked her off a little. She looked between them with a raised brow. "Okay, seriously. What's this about?"

Cardin glowered down at her in response. "You're up to something, mutt," he accused. And he was right, but she would not give that easily.

"Like what?"

His fist slammed into the wall next to her. Some dust rained down, though the entire display did not impress Selina. Cardin leaned closer to be face to face with her. "Don't play games with me, I'm not stupid. I have no idea what your lot is up to, but I know it's big. And I want in."

Their observers gaped, but Selina only rolled her eyes. She already expected something like this when he brought it up.

Feeling stubborn, she crossed her arms. "Has it occurred to you that we keep this secret for a reason, genius?"

"Don't care. All I know is three specific teams vanish from the face of Remnant the moment they have free time. Then they come back late into the evening, tired and dirty. I don't buy secret training, so don't even try."

Cardin smirked when Selina's mouth closed soundlessly. Then he poked her collarbone. "So either you spill the beans or we're dangling you over the cliff by your ankles."

Selina needed a moment to register the threat. It felt oddly tame after the last few weeks, she could not help but snort. "Heh, that's the best you came up with?"

"Me and Sky said to dunk your head into a toilet," Russel added helpfully and pointed to Cardin, "but he said no."

"Because that's dumb," Dove shot back from their leader's other side.

Ignoring the byplay, Selina still met Cardin's gaze. There was a certain intensity there, she could tell he would not back down on this. But it was also dangerous, so she did not just want to drag those four into it when they did not need to be involved.

"You're sure about this?" she asked one last time.

Cardin crossed his arms with a smirk. "You losers are in this, so it can't be that bad. Besides, whose ass am I going to kick next weekend if you kick the bucket?"

Selina stared at him, befuddled but also amused. The other girls watching from the sidelines were just confused. Then she chuckled and slid past Dove and Sky. "Alright, but don't say I didn't warn you. Come on."

They fell into step without complaint, passing by the others. Penny and Pyrrha kept following Weiss, who walked by Selina's side with a mild frown.

"Is this wise?" the heiress asked, to which Selina could only shrug.

"Meh, he'd probably beat us up if we pulled this off without Cardinal. Let's get to everyone. I'll explain when we're there."

Silence reigned between them, somewhat saturated with trepidation.

After a few corners, Pyrrha took a deep breath. Then she turned to Cardin. "I have to apologise. I thought you were up to far less friendly matters when you dragged Selina off like that."

Much to the girls' surprise, he just waved her off.

"All good."

After saying that however, he hesitated. Everyone else pretended not to hear them talk, even Selina wisely kept her eyes away and her mouth shut. She certainly did not expect what he said next: "'sides, it's not like I wouldn't have a few months back."

She was surprised, but ultimately happy that her efforts bore fruit after all. Pyrrha said no more and they kept walking.

It only took a few minutes, though their meetup became tense. Velvet shied away from Cardin for obvious reasons and he kept his distance. Coco glowered and Fox's expression was stormy. Even Yatsuhashi seemed to lose some of his zen. But Selina kept herself between them to make sure nothing happened. Yang was on the ball, too; she sent a text to Ruby and the portal opened seconds later. It worked great as a distraction.

CRDL followed the others through, only to stare in awe at a totally different place. The rubble was mostly cleared, buildings were collapsed or boarded up. Desolate streets led to nowhere, marked with various signs.

"What the fuck? What is all this?"

"That," Raven declared from behind them, "is insanity."

All four whirled around to stare at the woman they did not know. She stood right next to Qrow, scowling up a storm. "And what is worse, this insanity may just work."

Ruby hopped down from a nearby building with a cheerful grin. "Now don't be so pessimistic," she chirped. "It will work!"

Then she bustled along with several steel cylinders in her arms. Probably more bombs or something, Selina did not even want to know how many of those she planted already. Dove pointed after the petite girl in confusion, perfectly representing his entire team. Selina shrugged, though she could not stop herself from smirking.

"I told you this is dangerous. We've got actual hunters here, a staging ground too. Minefields, a pair of mounted machine guns, all the good stuff."

"I still don't get what we're fighting," Cardin said. "And if this is so dangerous, then where's that moth?"

His gaze found its way back to Selina, who started to frown at the reminder. No one but them even knew it happened.

"She's dead," she told him quietly.

"...what?"

The wolf simply nodded. CRDL's surprise made sense, considering that they saw her fight at Beacon. Even she would not believe Lumina was dead if her friend had not confirmed it personally.

"How?" Sky asked next. She took that as her cue to fill them in.

For Cardin, it was a quick introduction to, as the Branwen lady aptly put, insanity. Pure madness. A queen of all Grimm, Ozpin fighting a war in the shadows, Maidens, Relics, and Lumina's own death. Except somehow she was still alive in some form and directed a third faction to get Salem from behind with a steel chair.

Once Selina fell quiet, the four men stared between each other. Cardin ran a hand through his hair in thought, trying to put his feelings into nicer words. It was hard enough to find any at all, so he just said them as they came: "You're bugfuck insane, you know that? Every single one of you."

Raven frowned at him, but Qrow just snorted and raised his flask in salute. Cardin kind of wanted a drink, too.

"More than you know, kiddo," the seasoned hunter agreed with him.

"We're in."

Qrow was about to take a swig, but lowered his flask in confusion. Selina laughed outright, which was all the acceptance Cardin really needed. The others who milled around nearby were either annoyed, surprised, or confused.

"Just like that?" Weiss asked.

Cardin glanced to the heiress, a retort on his tongue. Then he had an idea, as great as it was dumb. He could not help but grin. "Well," he drawled, "if you insist on giving us something for pulling your asses out of the fire, hmm." He made a long, playfully thoughtful noise while sizing up his yearmate. She squinted up at him with barely a trace of worry, and she was hot. "How's about you put that ass in a dress and let me take you out for dinner?"

Silence reigned. Cardin was pleased with himself for taking the plunge, though also a little worried; Weiss stared at him in abject confusion now. Her cheeks gained some colour while she tried and failed to formulate words.

Then Yang and Qrow simultaneously broke down in laughter. Even Raven cracked a smile, but it was her brother who raised his flask in salute. "You!" he crowed, "I like you!" He then took a big swig.

Selina joined the fun as well, chuckling. She clapped Cardin's shoulder with a grin. "With how often you talk about asses, I guess you're an ass-man. Figured you'd ask for Blake, but eh. I get it."

"What's that supposed to mean?!"

Cardin already opened his mouth to banter back, but reconsidered. Saying anything flippant about a woman's body was a fast way to go and he rather kept his life. So he just shrugged at Selina, who playfully bantered with the now indignant Blake. Then he turned back to Weiss.

When the noise level lowered, the heiress finally forced herself calm. She met Cardin's eyes for a long moment, brows furrowed in thought. Then she scanned him from head to toe... and nodded. "Very well," she accepted. "You get one evening to impress me, if only because you are the first one brave enough to even ask me to my face."

He wordlessly bumped fists with his buddies. Likewise, Selina clapped Weiss's shoulder. "Way to go, girlfriend!" she cheered. "Your first date ever!"

"Will you stop that!"

The fun kept going a little longer, but then they all got to work. Four more bodies helped a great deal to prepare battlements and kill zones. Cardin put in as much elbow grease as everyone else, though he was quietly impressed with the girls. Even the prim and proper ones pulled their weight without complaint or worry about something stupid like broken nails.

While he worked however, he slowly realised that one particular person avoided him and his team. Not that he was surprised; the bunny, Velvet, had every right to hate him. He could accept that by now. But at the same time, Cardin did not feel it was right to just leave things as they were.

After thinking it over and chickening out for about three hours, he took his chance when he noticed her taking pictures of the landscape while on break. She was all alone, her team nowhere to be seen. Which probably sounded more sinister than it should, but he really did not want to get beaten up today.

So he approached quietly, his Semblance dampening all noise. Nobody ever expected the giant to have that sort of power; only his bros knew he was always good at sneaking around and loved doing it. This Semblance had little use in a straight fight, but he honestly did not care; bulldozing over someone from behind was fun every time it worked.

Velvet shrieked in surprise when he tapped her shoulder; the noise was swallowed by his Semblance, but she almost jumped off the cliff. Her camera nearly went airborne, too.

When the wide-eyed girl closed her mouth, he dropped the noise-cancelling. "What, surprised you can't hear everything with those ears?" But only in saying it did Cardin realise she must be used to hearing everyone coming her way. That shriek suddenly made a lot more sense.

Velvet pressed a hand to her chest, staring up at Cardin. It was kind of funny how even those huge bunny ears barely reached eye level with him. "W-What is it?" she asked, trying to make a brave face. He could tell she did not like the situation; he did not like it either, if for different reasons. But he made up his mind and his Ma raised no quitter.

At the same time, he would not do it looking down at her. So Cardin unceremoniously grabbed Velvet under the armpits; she twitched, but did not fight back. Then she stared in confusion when he simply placed her on a piece of rubble, now roughly at even height with him. Maybe he should have said something first, but whatever.

"Better," Cardin grunted. Velvet was thoroughly confused.

Seeing that, he almost chickened out again. It definitely took a moment to get his tongue under control. "Look, I'll make this short," Cardin started slowly. "I'm sorry. Shouldn't have done what I did, and all that."

She looked at him owlishly, making Cardin feel even more awkward. The older girl obviously did not expect to hear that of all things. "Don't gimme that look," he groused, but there was little heat in it. Her lack of response annoyed him a bit, but he could not really expect everything to be fine with just that; so really, it was the best he could hope for.

"That's it, really. I'll be out of your hair now." And probably for the rest of Beacon. He planned to leave the past behind.

Cardin had already turned around when Velvet spoke up at last: "What brought this up? Why now?" Her questions were still a little timid, but he realised there was no real fear in them. He still rolled his eyes before turning back.

"Beats me. One day I looked back and figured I should stop being an asshole." And despite what anyone may say, there was definitely no stupid mutt involved in that realisation. Thinking of her and getting back to Beacon, though, Cardin suddenly had a question of his own: "'sides, why'd you take it? You're the best in second year, you could have beat all of us without breaking a sweat."

Velvet averted her gaze in response, fidgeting slightly. "Then you'd just have picked on someone else, who couldn't take it as well," she murmured. Which was definitely a surprise, but also true.

"...you know what, that's fair. Guess I got the wrong idea about you."

That was a good place to make his exit, Cardin reasoned. He left with one hand raised in goodbye, leaving behind a befuddled hare.

To say Velvet was surprised by this turn of events was an understatement. But as if to add to her confusion, the rest of CRDL each offered their own apologies throughout the next few days. They came one by one, each one embarassed or contrite in some form. It felt as if up was suddenly down in terms of how little she expected any of this. Selina just laughed uproariously when Velvet told her.

The one really good thing in this was that the rest of CFVY became less frigid toward their newest set of allies. CRDL kept their distance from them, but this finally ended the risk of imminent violence when both teams were in the same general area.

Several days passed in comparable tranquility, but the work never stopped. They continued to prepare their chosen battlefield for their final stand. Velvet felt a little worried about thinking of it that way, but what else could she call something like this? They fought the embodiment of world's end, the queen of Grimm.

Moreover, word at Beacon was that Grimm migrations were observed across all of Sanus. The monsters left old haunts and converged on the continent's center, toward Vale. Third and fourth years were sent to quell some of the tide, even some members of staff headed there. Huntsmen and Huntresses mobilised, some of them long retired. She learned a lot from a few peeks at the old guard, but it was a sight to behold even without her Semblance.

The veterans laughed and joked with each other, only to greet the next generations with respect in the next breath. Nobody dared mess with them, even when their bodies had grown slow or their hair began to wane. Every single student knew not to underestimate those who managed to grow old in the most dangerous profession.

It was on Friday morning that Selina joined them with a grim face. The wolf girl's mood stood out, considering that she stayed cheerful thus far.

"She reached Sanus sometime tonight," Selina explained seriously. "Lumina says it will be around noon. We're skipping class."

Nods were given all around; nobody needed to be told what was at stake. Velvet's heart began to thrum in her chest, but she managed to calm it after a moment. This would not do.

The four teams rose and made to leave the cafeteria as one. They were stopped cold outside however, confronted by their headmaster and deputy. Ozpin glanced between them, likely reading the situation from the group's body language alone. He stood lightly bent, both hands on the head of his cane.

"May I ask where you are going?"

It was such a simple question but Velvet heard the edge of warning and worry. She immediately felt bad about going behind his back after he helped them out so much. Others were much the same from what she saw, but their leaders kept a cooler head. Weiss took the front primly, not giving anything away.

"I believe you may not want to know," she explained without actually doing so. Ozpin likely caught her meaning anyway, though he shook his head.

"With recent events, I am afraid I must ask after all."

"Very well." Weiss left a short pause, probably for effect. She never averted her gaze from Ozpin's. "Salem is expected to arrive at Mt. Glenn in about four hours' time."

The headmaster's polite smile slid off his face and Goodwitch frowned openly. They were smart enough to piece everything together from just that much. Ozpin uttered a soft sigh, though Velvet noticed how hard he suddenly squeezed his cane.

"This is it then?"

Determined nods were given all around. No one hesitated, not even Velvet; she never felt so certain about anything in her life. He saw it, too. Ozpin slowly tore his gaze away from them and exchanged a look with his deputy. "Classes are cancelled for today. Contact everyone we can get in such short time and prepare transportation."

Goodwitch nodded and strode away without another word. The headmaster turned back to his students, expression severe. "You should have informed me earlier."

He had a point; Velvet felt slightly awkward about that, but Selina shrugged at him before anyone else could get second thoughts. "We had over a week to prepare a bunch of shit," she explained with faux cheer. CRDL nodded along with her words, though Ozpin was not impressed.

"A week is hardly sufficient," he shot back, but gave them no chance to get a word in edge-wise. "Please give me an hour to make preparations, I will accompany you."

That was surprising and quite welcome. Velvet could not help but smile; her spirits lifted a little, some tension faded.

Mere minutes later, the headmaster's voice sounded across all of Beacon: "New information just came in. Grimm attacks across southern Vale are expected today. Classes are cancelled, all students will reinforce the capital and villages across the kingdom. Your destinations are provided to your Scrolls, Bullheads will begin transport within the hour. Gear up with everything you need from Beacon's armoury, then wait at the landing pads for your flight."

The announcement repeated itself several times; 'Beacon HQ' already sent assignments before the first repetition was complete. Every student's Scroll told them exactly where they would go, barring sixteen; for CRDL, SNNL, CFVY, and SPBY there were only two words: Mt. Glenn.

While they milled around waiting for Ozpin to return, the faculty and student body passed them by. Everyone was up in arms. Coco wished some of her friends good luck before joining them properly; Velvet had nobody to really see off, but responded with an uncertain smile when her yearmates approached.

Ozpin join them soon after; he was alone, with Goodwitch being assigned to protect Vale proper. "With Glynda in charge of the defense here, I have nothing to worry about," he explained. "Now shall we?"

Selina nodded and tapped her Scroll, sending a pre-prepared text. The entire hubbub around them stopped when Raven's portal appeared; those still around watched in surprise and awe how Ozpin himself led his students through, then the gateway vanished. They did not see it, but others with helpful Semblances got to work moments later.

On the other side, the headmaster was confronted with a glowering Raven. Ozpin felt there were many words he could, perhaps should say, but ultimately kept quiet. Today was not a day to attempt reconciliation, too much was at stake. They would be able to work together for a few hours.

After exchanging nods with Qrow and young Ruby, he looked up at the black clouds closing in.

"Ms. Rose." He did not need to look to know she perked up behind him. All his students were attentive, current and former. "I told you before that I made more mistakes than any man, woman, and child on Remnant. Now that we stand at the precipice, I believe that trusting you and yours was not among them."

He did not know the full plan, only Lumina did. But at the same time his students had done the impossible in Atlas. They were led into the future by an actual deity. For the first time in centuries, the old wizard had hope to see this through.

Taking a deep breath, he turned around. Leaning on his cane, Ozpin projected certainty to calm their weary hearts.

"Now," he declared, "let us reclaim Remnant for good."

Their only responses were grim nods and toothy smiles. Soft rains began to fall as warriors across the kingdom began engaging the creatures of Grimm. In the fallen city of Mt. Glenn, their small group prepared to face the root of it all. Salem was near.

But they were ready.

2.13 Radiant Dawn
They expected hordes of monsters striking from every direction. Some of the defenders had vividly imagined an endless tide of darkness marching to drown all life. None of them was prepared for the gargantuan beast descending from the sky.

It was enormous, bulbous, and seemed almost like some sort of fish. None of them had ever seen a whale before. The beast was escorted by a defensive screen of winged wolves and apes; Beowulves and Beringels packed so tight that one could not see the larger creature in places.

The prelude was far too quiet for such an army bearing down on them.

Raven wordlessly disappeared, taking the Relics to safety at her tribe's camp. They served their purpose, so there was no reason to actually risk Salem taking them. It took precious seconds for the woman herself to return, but she did. Her troubled expression remained unnoticed, if only because everyone focussed on the approaching threat.

Seconds passed as they watched the horde amassing. Shivers were suppressed. Yang quietly took Blake's and Weiss's hands for comfort, squeezing weakly. Qrow prodded Raven's shoulder, startling his sister. Selina and Pyrrha wordlessly bumped fists while Ren pressed a kiss to Nora's cheek. They all knew death could come at any moment. Some may not make it through. But if today was their final day, then they would not go quietly into the night.

Then a series of soft clicks drew attention to Ruby in the silence; she now held her weapon in rifle mode, expression calm. Somehow the youngest of them seemed completely serene in the face of mortal danger. The sight of her envigorated the rest, eased their worries. Ruby glanced up to them and her eyes gleamed; she grinned and raised Crescent Rose for emphasis, then took aim.

Nobody stopped her from taking the first shot.

The boom echoed almost painfully loud across the empty city. A Beowulf's head exploded a heartbeat later. The beast dropped and as if on cue, the horde descended upon them from above and below.

Grimm broke through the underground tunnels, running into mines and collapsing hallways. The machine guns barked to life with Coco and Sky in control. Nora and Yatsuhashi quickly unleashed the handful of anti-air rockets they got their hands on, but those failed to reach the whale; its protective screen was too thick. The dozens of lesser beasts each rocket tore apart were replaced in moments.

Bullets filled the sky, barely aimed; there were so many creatures they could not miss. Minefields erupted across town and explosives blew when triggers were pressed. All of Mt. Glenn shook under nature's wrath and their enemies died by the hundreds. Young or old, small or large, airborne, groundbound, or tunneling, few survived the defenders' ruthless preparations. Buildings collapsed on entire packs and sinkholes swallowed even more.

The first wave was annihilated without any real exertion from the hunters, but the second followed without pause. More Grimm pushed through the smoke and dust, soaking up bullets for those who came after. The mounted guns soon ran out of ammo.

The moment her stationary weapon spewed its final bullet, Coco drew her purse and kept on going with the inbuilt minigun. Russel and Fox quickly covered her back while she mowed down more Grimm. Yang, Yatsuhashi, and Nora formed up on their own to hit the larger beasts like a wrecking ball. They hammered through the enemy center while Blake, Penny, and Weiss covered their flanks.

Cardin found himself back to back with Velvet in short order, both driven away from their friends. Neither hesitated, their respective sizes working in their favour. Velvet weaved around the Grimm and kicked them off-balance where mighty swings of Cardin's mace caved in their heads. All animosity was forgotten for a time and they eventually linked up with Sky and Ren.

Weiss became a whirlwind of steel, rapier gleaming as she delivered countless precise stabs. Dust followed, setting fire or ice from time to time. She was isolated and already sought a way to get back, but the Grimm were dense.

Before they could surround her however, a stream of rose petals sliced hamstrings and felled dozens of minor Grimm. Ruby materialised on top of an Ursa and sliced off its head in a single swing. She rode the falling creature down, then kicked away a Beowulf and threw Weiss a grin. The two stood side by side as more creatures followed.

Ruby in particular was harried around the city, but the creatures failed to truly separate her. She always swung around to covering her allies, killing Grimm left and right.

The only one who truly stood alone was Selina. The wolf was surrounded, a veritable storm of steel that warded off her attackers. Smaller Grimm died on every stab, thinning out the herd while she maneuvered around the larger ones. Paws, pincers, and maws all tried to strike her, but none could connect a clean hit. She ducked and weaved around them with clenched teeth, then suddenly used her spear to vault over a Deathstalker. The person-sized scorpion chittered, but could not stop her from using it as a springboard. Selina cleared the encirclement and forced the monsters to split up. Qrow and Raven hit them from behind a moment later, slicing through their number in seconds.

Time passed like this; the monsters continuously tried to split up their enemies yet failed to separate them for long. Reinforcements always arrived, the twins and Ruby constantly moving to keep the group together. And somehow, unseen by all, particularly dangerous Grimm kept vanishing. Corridors opened, beasts that went to cut off escape routes never reached. The wizard hid in the shadows, carefully directing the battle to a positive outcome while his enemy was unaware of his presence.

Alas, even his accumulated knowledge and the students' skills could not stop the occasional hit; be it a moment of inattention, a mistake, or simply the overwhelming number of enemies. Aura dropped as small cuts and bruises accumulated. The defenders had little time to eat or drink, but they held out. Adrenaline and force of will kept them going beyond their limits.

They fought for hours without rest, killing Grimm by the thousands. Every single student scored more kills in this one afternoon than they had throughout their entire life thus far. The defence of Vale felt far more simple in comparison, but still they held on. Passion burned in each of them, a desire to see tomorrow. A wish for a brighter future. For some, wanting to see their loved ones once it was all over. Their hearts were united by light, raging against the darkness.

Then, just at the cusp of dusk, the Grimm stopped coming. No more reinforcements, the last beasts cut down.

There were no cheers, nobody had the energy for that. Left were panting hunters wiping off their sweat and greedily drinking from water bottles. Only when the break became longer did they realise something was different from the previous pauses.

A moment later, they also realised it was not just different but off. Any thoughts of victory were disregarded at the sight of yet another horde standing ready nearby. The whale landed at some point, still disgorging more Grimm; they were so hard pressed defending themselves that nobody even considered attacking it.

That was when they spotted her. The last rays of sunlight illuminated her disembarking, clad in a dress of living shadows. Her pale skin stood out starkly and gleaming red eyes sized up the area.

Flanked by Cinder and a large, scarred man, Salem came gliding down the whale's tongue. The mere sight of her almost stole the hunters' breath away. There was a palpable sense of danger emanating from her in waves, something that set off the animal parts of their brains.

Ten thousand creatures of Grimm stood at her command. Behind her followed a dozen Hounds. Ruby in particular shuddered at their sight, as did the twins. But only she could see that one of them was chock full with Essence; it took no explanation to know who was inside. Her chest constricted, making it hard to breathe at all.

The dark queen approached them leisurely in this uneasy, eerie quiet. The defenders would have held fire even if they had bullets or Dust left, but they were spent. Before Salem stood a ragtag bunch of weary warriors, out of options by all accounts.

Selina did not let fear overtake her even while she shivered in her boots. She knew there was a plan, even if she did not know what happened next. Coco was more wary now, but in far too deep to back out. Weiss thoroughly regretted her past choices for a moment before centering herself. Cardin did as well, though he also knew he asked for this. All four team leaders gathered their friends to form a united front. The twins flanked them, both uneasy. Ruby stood front and center, the only one completely firm.

Ozpin was nowhere to be seen, depriving Salem of the only hint that a trap was about to snap shut.

The witch approached on her own, not quite off guard but clearly unconcerned with whatever plans they may have left. Had the defenders not been exhausted, her expression of polite disinterest would have aggravated several of their number.

The last rays of sunlight faded and they were left in twilight; the creatures of Grimm leered from their gleaming, yellow eyes. Salem's pair of bloody red orbs glowed just as ominously, malice supplanted by actual intelligence. She idly studied the students while her entourage fanned out.

"Children. How interesting," the black queen murmured in the end. Her voice may as well have been a whipcrack in the silence. Her gaze came to rest on Ruby for several seconds, making the young Huntress shrink back. It only took her a moment to rally and firm up, but her fear had been seen. Nobody responded to the probing taunts, but the approaching night made humans and faunus feel worse. Threatened, helpless before the monsters.

Then a gentle silver gleam answered; Ruby's eyes glowed almost like miniature suns, startling the beasts at Salem's behest. The youngest of them all stood tall and proud now, displaying her own power to calm her allies. The queen merely arched a brow, the slightest bit intrigued.

Their silent standoff continued seconds longer until a distant noise distracted them. Still visible against the twilight, a Bullhead detached from the whale and flew away. Salem glanced that way, tauntingly presenting her back to her enemies. She watched the machine rush away without a trace of emotion.

"Once we are done here, we will track down Arthur," she declared. There was no heat to her voice, if perhaps a hint of disappointment.

After shaking her head, more for show than anything, Salem turned back to the students and hunters. "Now to you. A group of children, led by the Branwen twins of all people. To think he finally lost both of you."

She displayed a faint smile at the prospect even while Qrow scowled. Raven's face was a blank mask. Neither of them reacted to the taunts, bolstered by Ruby's presence if nothing else.

Seeing them stalwart, Salem carried on: "Regardless, I know you have something that I want. Not to mention every single one of you proved their abilities."

She left a pregnant pause, but the effect was ruined when Selina used it to chime in. "Seriously? First you try to drown us in Grimm, then you try to recruit us? What kind of idiots do we look like, huh?" Her irreverence was borne of annoyance as well as fear. She shivered almost imperceptibly when those crimson eyes focussed solely on her.

Salem's brow arched in faux wonder. "You seem to be the sort of fools that breaks into three of the four most secure places on Remnant, almost simultaneously at that," she retorted. "The sort that has little choice left. The moment word gets out just who stole the Relics of Choice, Knowledge, and Creation, you will be hunted across all of Remnant."

Her words struck true and caused some awkward shuffling; everyone knew she was right, as did she. Salem smiled, but there was nothing warm in the motion. "And yet there is a simple solution for all of you. I am not one to disregard talent and skill. There is a place you can still belong if you hand me the Relics. They have little value to you either way."

Silence followed her offer and demand. None of them expected this turn of events, Salem could see. They were thunderstruck. Some even considered it due to their exhausted state.

But before anyone else could get a word out, a loud snort from Raven startled the students. There was something bitter to it. Her hand never left the handle of her currently sheathed blade.

"We know how you work," the seasoned Huntress shot back mockingly. "Tools and no more, means to an end. 'A place to belong', really?" She spat out to emphasize her disgust with the half-truth. "The only place we belong in your employ is a shallow grave, sooner or later."

Contrary to what they expected of Salem, she did not seem to take offence with the interruption or Raven's tone. In fact, she put on an expression that could be called pitying. "Now who told you that?" the black queen asked, a trace of warmth and faux gentleness to her voice. "Perhaps the man who needlessly sends generation after generation of hunters to die? Who sent your dear friend into certain death?"

Raven growled in response and took a threatening step forward. Though Hazel behind her tensed, Salem was not bothered. She was surprised when the far younger woman stopped after that one step, though.

"For all you pretend not to be like him, the honeyed words are just the same," Raven answered as an outright nasty smile found its way onto her face. "How unfortunate that you made a great mistake today."

Her gaze flicked to Ruby, the gesture not missed by their adversary. Salem drew the wrong conclusion from it, though. She chuckled before softly drawling back at Raven: "Really? You brought a child with silver eyes and dormant light, believing that could defeat me? You are more of a fool than I thought, Raven."

As if on cue, a thud followed the last word she spoke, followed by wheezes. All eyes turned to one of the Hounds that had dropped to the ground. It lay there convulsing while its pack crowded around to check on their fellow.

Nora pointed, hesitantly. "Uh, I think your doggie is sick," she offered needlessly. Then, after a short pause: "Can Grimm get sick?"

Her question would remain unanswered.

Beams of a familiar silver broke through the Hound's thick hide, startling the pack and outright scaring every other creature of Grimm nearby. The beast itself began to dissolve, densely packed flesh of void disintegrating. Silvery Essence exploded from the inside as it faded, though but three people present could see.

"What is this?" Velvet asked in shock, gaping. She had never seen anything like it before. Her focus on the Hound made her miss the silent tears running down Ruby's cheeks. The younger woman already figured it out from the clues she had.

Meanwhile, Salem watched the dying hound with casual interest. Raven's grin grew predatory at the same time; she knew her partner best, even after all this time.

"The day you didn't kill her for good was the day you lost."

The witch was not intimidated. A derogatory huff was her only answer as she raised one hand. Actinic red gathered at her fingertips, ready to reach out and crush the interloper. Yet before she could unleash her spell, a ray of light took the arm off at her shoulder; another perforated her head faster than Salem could turn to look back.

A shocked silence engulfed them all as the witch dropped. Hazel was first to gather his wits, turning toward his perceived ally. "What are you doing?" he demanded of Cinder, only to realise the younger woman's eyes were gleaming orange; the colour felt somehow alien to his senses, making the seasoned warrior shudder.

"Cinder is dead, you fool."

He was dumbstruck, but the living dead woman before him did not seem willing to elaborate. Her almost beatific smile turned toothy.

"Intriguing," Salem cut off whatever conversation they may have had. The witch already recovered and now studied 'Cinder' with polite interest. All the rest she ignored in a display of arrogance and justified superiority both. "So you were the infiltrator. I wonder how you did this. Or who you are."

The dismissal rang clearly in her tone. 'Cinder' scowled momentarily, but her expression cleared right after. Serenity returned to at least her while everybody else was taut like a bowstring.

Then the scraping of flesh on stone drew their attention back to the faded Hound. In its place now lay a woman, undeniably human but deathly pale and emaciated. Contours of bones were clearly visible across her entire body as Summer Rose forced herself to all fours, panting. What hair she still had was chalk white, bereft of all colour. It seemed as if a stiff breeze could break her every bone. Yet she seemed determined to rise, silver eyes glistening with power.

"And this is what you put your hopes onto?" Salem taunted 'Cinder'. She motioned for the bent but unbroken woman currently struggling to even stand. "A woman who will die on her own in a minute?"

She failed to see 'Cinder's' grin widen, too surprised by the fact Summer's body began to bulge out.

"M-Mom!"

Ruby was by her mother's side in an instant, but she could only watch in horror as Summer's chest and belly distended. The older Rose looked up at her daughter, any pain she felt hidden by a tender smile; an almost skeletal hand slowly reached up to cup Ruby's cheek. Her lips moved soundlessly, dull silver eyes drinking in her daughter's sight. Nobody dared disturb them, though Salem held back mainly out of curiousity.

A few seconds passed before Summer's eyes began to tint orange. The hand cupping Ruby's cheek fell. Arms and legs bulged as that same sickly orange began to flow from Summer's ears and mouth. Ruby looked on in horror how her mother's skin drew taut, then snapped in places. More of the same gunk flowed from every wound. It was revulsive to even look at.

"What's happening?" Qrow shouted, but he received no answer from those two who knew.

'Cinder' kept her quiet. Summer... began to laugh.

The sound drew shudders from the students, more a hacking cough than actual laughter. Summer finally climbed to her feet and stood by Ruby's side. She swayed dangerously, but held her balance as the ground below her was coated orange. Then she turned away from her daughter to glare at Salem, who now found herself between two enemies.

"Ten years," Summer spat, voice raspy. "You stole ten years from me, bitch. And now. Heh."

She leaned forward as the skin over her shoulder blades broke open. Wings of alien flesh spread wide, oh so reminiscent of a moth. A manic grin found its way on her face as creatures of Grimm all over began to scream; the cancer tore them apart from within, swiftly reaching the surface and ejecting itself from their husks. Some only grew halfway out of the beasts, controlling them like puppets. Faces appeared in the alien substance; arms and claws, eyes and pseudopods.

They screeched in anger, but fell still when Summer spoke: "Now I collect. With interest."

She charged on the final word. Salem erected a glowing shield in time, but Summer punched through the magic with a roar that threw up dust. Her fist obliterated the witch's head and Summer straddled Salem's decapitated body. The claws growing out of her fingertips were put to use as she began tearing her enemy apart with animalistic glee. Monsters rose all around them to attack what Grimm were not infected, even the whale writhed in pain as parasites ate it alive.

Selina Uaine stared at the avalanche of nightmares come to life. A soft "Damn" was all the response she had for what she saw, trying and failing to reconcile her understanding of the world with what happened. It was the first time since meeting Lumina that she truly feared the moth, too; this was her doing without a shadow of doubt.

In this pandemonium stood Hazel Rainard, frozen in indecision. He never expected such a turn of events, though the other humans and faunus were in a similar state. Which was when what was not Cinder but wore her skin turned to him. Her voice was barely audible over the cacophony of violence surrounding them.

"It is time for you to choose as well," she said. "Ozpin is near." And as if on cue, the reincarnator stepped out of a nearby building. Hazel bristled at the sight of him, realising that this was the reason they inexplicably lost forces throughout the battle. 'Cinder' gave him little chance to do more than growl, though: "Salem will not survive the night. Dawn will break, but not for her. You may attempt to get your revenge here and now, or step away."

It was hard to believe after all the things he saw, yet the fact a fresh army of beasts died around him gave the woman credence.

Before Hazel could come to a decision, the boom of airship cannons sounded and a number of Griphons was obliterated. Bullheads raced overhead and a pair of atlesean battleships joined the fray. Flares shot into the sky, bathing them in artificial light; night was banished and the creatures of Grimm now fought man as well as monster.

"What is this?" Hazel finally asked of 'Cinder'. "What are you?"

She bared her teeth in response. "The goddess Salem thought to spurn. Now look where it led her. She will go Cinder's way and be erased from existence. No reincarnation, no second chance." Her judgement was delivered with anger but also satisfaction, so unlike the queen in how expressive it was. But at the same time oh so similar.

Hazel gritted his teeth as he thought. His fists clenched, the many scars across his body ached. Ozpin was right there, perfectly in reach. But at the same time, he knew he would not succeed without the woman who was currently a mere smear on the ground.

"It is over," Ozpin himself declared. There was little emotion in his words, yet they made both 'Cinder' and Hazel turn his way fully. The wizard's eyes rested on where the reborn Summer ripped every piece of Salem apart as soon as it regenerated. His mask had never been more apparent, especially when he continued to speak: "There is... no more need for any of this, once she is gone. No more sacrifices. No more suffering. It will not solve every problem plaguing Remnant, but for the first time we can truly face tomorrow."

His words ignited Hazel's rage once more; his blood boiled, demanding he take the man and do unto him what was currently done to Salem. He barely reined it in, reminding himself that the queen was currently out of commission.

"How do you keep her down then?" he challenged both of his enemies, voice more of a growl.

In response, 'Cinder' clapped his shoulder. She seemed almost jovial, bearing a far too cheerful smile. "Watch," she not requested but ordered. Then she turned away, presenting her unprotected back as casually as Salem had done to Beacon's students earlier. She skulked toward Summer, though her gait was insecure. 'Cinder' swayed dangerously, her legs just about to give out. She refused to allow them to falter.

"Go kill some beasts," Lumina commanded Summer. The other woman whined in response, far too invested in her gory revenge upon Salem.

It took her benefactor staring her down for several seconds before Summer rose with a huffed "Fine". Then she blurred away, leaving a trail of orange goop that swiftly came to life. The Hounds yowled as one previously their own began tearing into them with wild abandon. The discoloured, viscous flesh clung to Salem's remains. 'Cinder' leaned over her without regard, the body somehow bubbling.

Then a pitch black spear rammed through her abdomen, giving everyone pause. Ozpin twitched and several students gasped, too stunned by the display to do much else. Salem fully reformed underneath 'Cinder', unamused.

"And this is that," she said, her words lost to all but Lumina in the mayhem.

Much to her surprise, the woman she just mortally injured laughed in her face and began to melt. Her clothes dissolved and Salem was bathed in liquified, rotten flesh. All the Essence Lumina gathered over the weeks was unleashed in a single wave.

Ruby and Velvet shrieked in surprise as they were almost drowned by the silver sea, everyone else simply felt pressure settle upon them.

Then all of Mt. Glenn shifted.

The two airborne battleships were dragged into the expanding sphere just like everyone else. Air shifted and began to glow, then a pillar of golden light climbed into the sky. People across the fallen city stopped to stare at it; this was the most beautiful thing they ever saw. It's siren song called for them, promising a continuation of their journey. To begin anew, wipe the slate clean. Even now wisps of people wandered along ghostly paths and into this pillar.

Salem was dumbstruck by the sight, having never seen it before just like the rest. Only Ozpin stood unmoved by its splendor, for he was well acquainted with this place. Thus he was the first to tear his eyes away, toward the cocoon of pure silver tied to it up high. A familiar figure floated in front of it on gossamer wings.

And next to the cocoon, a heart of crimson reached into reality from beyond. Its pulse echoed across the area, a drumbeat with which the hearts of mortals aligned. Grimm stood by His sister's side.

For just a moment they could see. Ruby, Velvet, Ozpin, and Salem all beheld them in their true glory. Behind what seemed a faunus flickered the memory of a great, crowned moth. Behind the man eerily resembling the Roses stood an endless line of kings that reached back to the beginning of time.

The sight alone sent shocks through Velvet; her knees buckled and a spike of pain stuck straight in her brain as she tried to comprehend their splendor. Blood trickled from her ears, nose, and eyes. Ruby fared better, but she too was struck by a sudden migraine in the presence of not one but two alien gods.

Ozpin simply bowed his head and bent the knee.

Salem, however, grit her teeth and fought through the sensations. She refused to be cowed.

Meanwhile, hunters and soldiers fought to escape the pillar's draw. They felt an incredible desire to leap into it and move on, let the past be the past. Only being alive saved them from succumbing to its influence. Selina alone recognised what this was on a concious level as she remembered Lumina's words.

Then a dozen radiant beams of light connected sky and earth for but a moment. The Hounds Summer had already weakened were killed as one; their silent deaths concluded with a dozen restless spirits racing forward. Each one spewed silvery Essence in which their gratitude echoed. Few even noticed their parting, Ruby and Summer among them; they were kin after all, in one way or another.

Her first task concluded, Lumina's attention settled on Salem. The moth bore a grin wider than her lips should allow. Before her might, here and now, the witch had to realise she was still but human.

It was by her actions that God had come out of heaven, and She was angry.

The dark queen reared up to fight, struggle, perhaps even overcome her enemy. She was immediately swallowed by a wave of flesh. Her pet monsters writhed in their death throes as the parasites finished their meal and emerged. Not even smoke remained of the creatures that plagued Remnant, for they did not belong in this dream and were annihilated.

The weary hunters were left a mere audience as Lumina began to eviscerate her enemy, much like Summer had before. Primal light continually erased parts of the witch, killing her over and over. Summer herself rampaged among the yet living beasts.

The Atleseans barely scraped by an incident when a pilot shouted down her gunner not to shoot the abomination that was also killing creatures of Grimm. Similar scenes repeated as the issue was kicked up the chain of command, but cooler heads prevailed; no one was foolish enough to strike at the higher beings above and neither wanted to hit another friendly unknown.

Hazel had gone to his knees, staring in disbelief at the manifestations of dream and nightmare. His heart almost burst out his chest as he beheld the most powerful being on Remnant become no more than a toy. She bought herself a moment's reprieve when another shield finally held against the barrage of light, but the Nightmare King swiftly appeared behind her. Crimson arcs followed each of His fingers as He swung for the dark queen, slicing her into ribbons.

He continued to cut Salem to size a moment longer, then vanished into the same smoke He appeared from. Grimm, the true Grimm, then stood behind the regenerating woman. Salem was grasped under the armpits, arms restrained and bathed in streamers of bloody red. Magic and more sinister powers sought to break out of His shackles, but He held and offered His captive to the descending moth.

Lumina then pressed a hand to Salem's chest. As her glow began to intensify however, the lesser woman laughed derisively.

"Whatever your aims, you will fail," she taunted, "I can not die."

It was desperate, a hope she clung to like a drowning man to a piece of driftwood. It was about as effective before The Radiance. Lumina shook her head with a pleased smile.

"Correction: your body can't. You can."

So saying, her ethereal self began sinking into Salem. All of Lumina followed, her Essence squeezing itself into the lesser human shell. The cocoon above remained, but strings of light began connecting it to the immortal woman. Salem's eyes bugged out and her body convulsed; she reared back until Grimm's cloak stopped her, screaming in agony. A noise that echoed across the dreamscape, heard by any and all; vengeance upon Lumina's enemies was at hand.

The light suffused Salem's body bit by bit, using the old curse to anchour itself. The void fought back like a being possessed, just like Salem frantically struggled with all the fury and spite of millennia spent imprisoned in her own body. Yet for the first time since she was cursed, the witch found herself pitted against a being whose wrath burned brighter than hers.

Her soul was wrapped in a tidal wave of light that burned away everything it conquered. Piece by piece Salem grew weaker if more frantic. But just like the sun never stops burning until it finally grows cold and dead, she could not stop this assault from permeating her being.

Lumina's light burned the darkness out of her body, limp like a puppet with its strings cut. It dissipated eventually, leaving behind a once fair but now scarred, blonde woman.

Then however, her eyes opened.

2.14 Aftermath
The bubble of impossible physics receded slowly. Though many were tempted to stop and stare, barked orders sent the Atleseans back on task exterminating the remaining monsters. They kept all danger off the weary students while Summer's rampage also came to a close.

Selina sunk down a wall with a heavy sigh. Her aura was just about out, her body ached everywhere, she was tired, and her head felt like someone used it as a bongo drum. Her friends were all in similar conditions; Cardin quietly muttered to himself at the side while a whimpering Velvet leaned against Coco.

"I know she said I wouldn't comprehend," the hare said, only to trail off and shudder. Her legs seemed like jelly and Coco had to steady the other girl lest she fall.

"Don't comprehend what?" Blake asked. Selina already had an inkling, but their fellow faunus seemed actually confused. That in turn confused Velvet.

"You didn't see?" she asked Blake, who shook her head. Velvet frowned weakly at that. "That cocoon," she explained. "And the heart. They're gods, well and truly. Brother and sister, dream and nightmare, light and life."

The others listened with a mixture of confusion and some worry; Selina honestly believed it after what she saw today, but it was clear only Velvet had seen these particular things.

"The Radiance and Nightmare King Grimm," Ruby added, immediately proving that last assumption wrong. The younger woman stared off into space, eyes unfocussed. A singular, bloody tear rolled down her cheek; it was much like the traces all over Velvet's face.

Then Ruby twitched and came back into focus. "Don't think about them too much," she advised Velvet. "It's not good for you."

Selina had nothing to add there. Considering that both girls who actually saw that stuff were bleeding from their eyes, she was honestly glad she was not in their little club.

While Yang got up to fuss over her sister, Ozpin finally shook off his shock. He slowly approached the grounded form of Salem while trying to ignore his heartache. She returned to the appearance she once had, his first and true love. Were it not for the scars running along her cheeks where the essence of darkness once flowed, he may be able to pretend all this never happened.

But what was more, she looked right at him. Her eyes almost shimmered in the fading light, unlike what he expected to see.

"Salem?" he asked, worried and hopeful in the same breath.

It was only Ozpin and Hazel who watched the woman wordlessly climb to her feet. She glanced from one to the other with a blank expression, then bunched up her black dress as if to study it. A frown marred her features.

"What an awful dress," she ultimately said. "I need to fix that soon."

Now Ozpin was confused. The voice was undeniably Salem's, but the inflection and tone were different. More relaxed, somewhat pleased, and most of all lacking in the previous, frigid nonchalance.

"What exactly is going on?" Ozpin asked of her, which made the immortal woman look at him fully for the first time. There were neither recognition nor anger in her expression, just a quiet glee. But he only truly understood when her eyes began to gleam a now familiar shade of orange, lighting up the night.

"I see. Lumina, then?"

"Just so. Salem is no more. In fact, she left me a convenient, immortal shell to inhabit. Only the form needs some work. I don't like it." She almost babbled, muttering idly as she reached behind herself. "For one," Lumina declared and tore the fabric along her back; the sentence was never finished, Salem's flesh beginning to bubble in lieu of a verbal conclusion.

He thought he saw silvery motes flutter every which way, but could not be certain. All Ozpin knew was that the woman in front of him began to shrink.

Where they stood at almost equal height before, Lumina returned to her last body's size. Blonde hair lost all pigmentation and turned ivory while gossamer wings grew rapidly from her back. Her subtle curves she kept, hidden by the night as the torn dress fell. She seemed to care naught for her state of undress, simply grinning at Ozpin.

"I win."

He inclined his head, likewise ignoring the Goliath in the room. The whims of deities were not his to question. Although the continuous glee she displayed worried the old wizard a little.

"Well, I do hope now is not the moment where you reveal your plan to eradicate all of Remnant?"

His little jest held a bit of actual concern; thankfully, it merely prompted a huff from Lumina. The rejuvenated moth shook her head. "No, nothing of the like. But the Relics, I will destroy. Your gods are dead and gone."

That was better than expected, if worse than he hoped. He accepted her words with grace, having long since detached himself from the Brother Gods during their absence. Losing the Relics was problematic, however; Atlas would need to be set down and the final vault opened. They were useful tools as well, excepting the Sword of Destruction.

He knew he could not refuse, but reasoned that perhaps she could be swayed. So he nodded his head before opening his posture somewhat to offer a plea: "The Relics of Knowledge and Creation carry within them spirits, living beings. They were made by the God of Light."

This seemed to be news to Lumina, whose brows furrowed. It became difficult to see in the darkness, but he thought she seemed upset. Her words lent more credence to that: "Of course it has to be him and not the other one who left them behind."

"Pardon?"

"The God of Darkness is someone I know and hate with every fibre of my being."

Lumina kept herself calm, but Ozpin knew to spot the undercurrent of anger that accompanied her words. It thankfully fell away when she went on: "The God of Light, I never met. He may also be my child. Which would make his children relate back to me as well. I get your point, though. I will study these two first and see if I can free the spirits. Or if they rather vanish with their vessels."

He was befuddled by the apparent non-sequitur, but did not let it show. Considering the connection of moths and light, he could see how a relation may exist by thematics alone. What was more, his request was actually indulged.

"That is really all I can ask for," he demurred.

Hazel approached at that point, having kept his silence and distance. He shook in both apoplectic rage about Ozpin's continued presence and numb fear about the immortal Salem destroyed; the wizard could relate, he had trouble keeping himself calm as well.

Yet before the younger man could say a single word, Summer Rose appeared by them. The men both twitched at her sudden arrival, but Lumina did not react. The ooze covering Summer shifted this way and that, having taken a shape akin to a bodysuit instead of some tumor. In fact, all the ichoate flesh across Mt. Glenn dissolved in a manner oh so similar to the creatures of Grimm.

Her laugh was scratchy as she embraced the moth, standing upright despite her ordeal. Ozpin held back until they separated, then he greeted his erstwhile student: "Welcome back, Ms. Rose. And... my apologies, for sending you into this predicament to begin with."

Summer shook her head in response, surprisingly mellow when considering her previous rampage. Perhaps she simply got it all out of her system.

"I'm not mad at you," she answered simply. "I was for a year or so, but at some point I realised there is no point blaming you. I agreed to it. Someone needed to keep Salem in check, and I went down swinging. So it's alright."

Ozpin nodded in understanding; he knew best that time had a habit of dulling even the most powerful feelings. Nonetheless, he decided to let sleeping Ursas lie and let his wayward student speak to Lumina.

This time Summer actually smiled. "But no more of that. Remnant has a true goddess now. And for as long as she stands guard, this shall not repeat."

The moth inclined her head, bearing a faint smile of her own. It was a truth they would all have to accept.

But for now the corruption began to recede into Summer's body, leaving her gaunt form exposed to the elements if not for her aura. Raven appeared in seconds to drape a blanket over her, just in time for Ruby to materialse and embrace her mother gingerly.

"Mom."

Summer leaned on her daughter, running a hand over her head. "My little bud," she whispered. "Finally." The older Rose was chuckling and crying at the same time; at this point the wizard felt like he intruded.

As Ozpin retreated from their reunion, he became once more aware of Hazel's presence. Their display appeared to have doused his anger.

In the pregnant pause between the men and Lumina, Hazel turned to the moth. "Where did this infection come from?" he asked, which was a pertinent question.

The woman herself seemed to find it amusing, though. She explained with a wry grin: "It was my anger made manifest. Salem never realised even the hostile void could not destroy me entirely. It festered in the pool she threw my original body into, taking root in every Grimm it birthed."

"Well, that is terrifying," Ozpin quipped in a deadpan. Hazel scowled at his attempted humour, though Lumina seemed to take it well.

It also prompted a dry laugh from Summer, who finally let go of her daughter and stumbled forward. Just as the atlesean guns fell silent because they had no more monsters left to kill, Summer took a knee before Lumina. "And it worked, just like you said it would," she began, but was interrupted by a violent cough that had Ruby hover over her.

The older woman looked down at herself, then up to her benefactor. "How long?"

And suddenly there was tension, though Ozpin could not tell why exactly. Something between these two death-defying women was yet to be done. Lumina studied Summer critically, but nobody dared disrupt the silence. When she spoke it was clearly with a heavy heart: "Ten years at most. Your body is already dying. I can stall it, but not indefinitely."

Ruby gasped in shock and hugged her mother again, though Summer just chuckled.

"Even one year is a lot more than I'd have expected," she reminded Lumina. "I look like shit. Give me a month or two to recover, then I'll get right to it."

The moth nodded at that.

This time it was Raven who pre-empted the rest: "Get to what?"

Others had begun gathering around them by this point, but neither woman paid them any mind. Summer met her old friend's gaze evenly, but the attempt to explain dissolved into a coughing fit. Seeing that she needed a moment, Lumina took over: "Our bargain. Joint revenge against Salem was the first half, cooperation borne of anger. But more than that, I grant Summer a return to her life for at least a time. In turn she dedicates this time to spreading word of The Radiance. My apostle," she finished, making it almost sound like a term of endearment.

"That doesn't sound like a good deal to me," Qrow commented rather quickly.

Ozpin was uncertain what to make of it yet, though he had other questions. Meanwhile, Summer waved over her friend and bopped him on the head.

Lumina chuckled at the display and, surprisingly, made an attempt to reassure Qrow: "I am not demanding total devotion. Summer will not serve as a Huntress again, is all. How she spends her time is her choice. Not to mention, Qrow, who but I could grant her time to spend with those she loves?"

"...arright, that's fair," he drawled, though his grimace made it clear he still did not like it.

"Speaking of," Ozpin finally found a chance to interject, immediately gaining everyone's attention. "While I can not make any promises, I will see about extending your remaining time with the magic I have left."

Summer nodded with a grateful smile, only to gasp in surprise when Raven picked her up in a princess carry. "Be that as it may," the other woman groused, "you go where you belong now. Someone has to clean up this mess."

She carried Summer through a portal with those words, followed immediately by Ruby and Yang. Qrow stayed behind and it closed.

"I take it she took her to Patch?" Ozpin inquired just to make certain. His friend shrugged.

"Probably, yeah."

They lapsed into a momentary silence. There were many things left to discuss, but Ozpin had to consider which way to lead the conversation. This in turn gave young Selina time to speak up, as irreverent as before: "Sooo, that's it? Just like that? New body, old you? It's over?"

Despite her seemingly disrespectful behaviour, Lumina simply huffed. "Yes. 'Just' like that, Selina. Nevermind the parts of the plan you did not concern yourself with."

The faunus woman threw her a smirk and thumbs up in return.

"It is just difficult to believe that we somehow saved the world, is all," Pyrrha added when neither of them seemed willing to keep talking. "Especially in what was no more than a few hours. Four weeks if we count from the time you asked for our help." She earned some agreeing nods from the others. Ozpin himself was among them; especially him, considering how long he worked to achieve this very thing.

"You have a point," Lumina conceded, then glanced to the wizard. "Although the main reason it went so swiftly is that the difficult parts were already in place. Relics, vaults, all of no concern. I only had to get them for a guaranteed strike at Salem." She left a pause and gathered her thoughts, then made a sweeping motion toward the horizon. "Not to mention that while you helped stop Salem for good, this does not solve everything. It will be a long time before I can deal with the creatures of Grimm, if ever."

Some awkward shuffling followed, ended when Selina shrugged at her friend with a grin: "Welp, so at least we aren't out of a job."

Some snorts and snickers went around while Lumina inclined her head. Even Ozpin had to crack a smile.

"Maybe humans and faunus can finally get along now," Blake added thoughtfully. She was as weary as the rest, but something akin to hope could be seen in her expression.

To this, Ozpin offered his student a nod. He could follow the logic just fine and agreed with it. "That they will, Ms. Belladonna. Alas, I can not tell how much of a hand Salem had in sabotaging human-faunus relations. It will require a great deal of work to repair them."

To his mild surprise, it was Weiss who interjected. "With all due respect, Professor: we know that." Despite her surprisingly blunt comment, the young woman smiled mirthlessly. "And I already know where to begin."

Nobody commented on the fact she was ready to bring down her own legacy, though she immediately rose higher in the wizard's esteem.

Then Penny strolled forward and glomped Lumina, who stiffened in surprise. Not even Selina had been brazen enough to simply embrace the avatar of a goddess. Penny clearly did not care, she simply greeted her with joy.

"Welcome back. And thank you, again."

That broke the spell and Selina followed the gynoid's lead. Nora followed and dragged Ren along. Then Coco, Velvet, and Fox all joined them for the fun of it. The other students laughed or smiled about the moth's predicament. It was good to see the children smile even after such an ordeal; then again, seeing them all return alive meant he really should stop thinking of them as children.

After a time however, Selina let go and the knot of bodies dissolved. "Right," she started while snapping her fingers. "Kali was asking about you. Nobody told them you died, y'know?"

The non-sequitur surprised Lumina, who stood frozen in indecision. She glanced around the various people around them, hesitated a moment longer, and displayed something that may be guilt.

"I believe I need to take my leave," she murmured. "We shall speak soon."

She flickered away just like that, a ray of light that cast away the night. The landing atlesean gunships reflected it back, revealed for but a moment.

It was still hard to believe that they won.

Ozpin knew there would be a ton of issues to resolve soon. Not everyone would have made it across the various theatres and such great expenditures of material needed to be replaced. But for right now he left the students to their joy and celebration. Rather, the wizard turned to Hazel, whom everyone but him and Qrow had apparently forgotten.

"Now I believe we ought to address the Goliath in the room. Walk with me, Mr. Rainard?"

Qrow stepped back from his vigil, leaving the matter to his superior. Hazel himself scowled, but followed him into the devasted Mt. Glenn without a word. It was promising; Ozpin held no illusion that he would ever be forgiven, but perhaps an accord could be made.

They had time now, even if part of him still hurt to know she was forever gone. Another was relieved; the Salem he remembered would have been disgusted with what she became. Perhaps it was not oblivion that The Radiance gave her but salvation. A wrong righted that the Brother Gods once caused. Thinking of it like this felt kinder, even if it may be a shallow excuse. At the end of his long, long duty, Ozpin felt he deserved at least this little fantasy.

So it was that night fell on Vale. The tale of stolen Relics, gods, and monsters came to a close.

2.15 Epilogue - Sol Invictus
The Belladonnas had woken early for reasons unknown. Ghira was not a superstitious man, but he swore he could feel a shift in the air. The ocean winds seemed subdued and something about the faint orange glow at the horizon appeared the tiniest bit different. He would have disregarded it normally, but Kali also woke early and could not quite find sleep again.

They were having tea when Lumina arrived, sudden as always. Ghira grunted as her bright light hit his eyes, but elation drowned out everything else. She had come home after all!

"Welcome back," he greeted while blinking the spots away. Knowing that Mt. Kali was about to erupt, he figured the poor girl deserved at least a warm welcome first.

"Finally! Do you have any idea how worried we were, young lady? You have been out of touch for... where are your clothes?"

He saw it at the same time as his wife, their eyes finally adjusted. Lumina stood in her birthday suit, apparently completely at ease if a little sheepish. Ghira scanned her from head to toe just in case, but found no bruises or scars on the girl. Then he kept his eyes on her face until Kali found a blanket to throw over her.

"I'm back," the young woman announced herself belatedly, glancing between them. "You may want to sit down. A lot happened this last month."

The Belladonnas exchanged intrigued looks; Ghira was amused that Lumina pre-empted Kali sitting her down by doing the same. His wife seemed more wary than anything else, but she did as requested. He sat next to her facing the bundled-up girl. "This better be good, or you will be grounded for a while. Huntress or not," he joked with a knowing look to Kali, whose nostrils flared in annoyance.

Lumina's mouth opened, but nothing came out at first. Her brows furrowed as she seemed to get lost in thought as usual. At least their girl was still the same. "How odd," she finally murmured. "I did not think I would grow so attached to actually appreciate being back."

Her comment made Ghira's heart ache and soar at the same time. The poor thing really deserved better than she got before she got to Menagerie. He cleared his throat nonetheless, dragging the girl back to the subject at hand. Lumina nodded.

"Sorry. The short of it is that I died, made my allies steal several ancient artifacts to lure out the one responsible, killed her, and took over her body to use as my own." She ticked each point off on her fingers, uncaring for or unaware of the Belladonnas' incredulity. What was more, she said it so matter-of-factly that Ghira was almost willing to believe her.

Kali arched a brow, clearly not amused. Yet where Blake, Selina, or most other children would have relented under a mother's disapproval, Lumina merely mirrored the gesture.

Ghira did not like where this was headed. Both women at this table were incredibly headstrong; he really did not need to start the day with a large fight and quickly intervened: "How about you start at the beginning and explain in some more detail?"

"That was my plan, yes. There is something you two ought to know." Lumina hesitated there, frowning ever so faintly. "Perhaps I should have spoken of it far sooner."

Then she began to speak and the pair's understanding of existence was expanded. Kali and Ghira both needed a while to comprehend, much less accept their ward's nature. In the end they did believe, however. Be it the foreign knowledge Lumina brought them, or perhaps meeting the elusive Grimm some time later.

Maybe even the fact word of the Great Moth began to spread across Remnant over the years. And true to her predictions, the world slowly began changing for the better.

It happened in various places, small and vast.

Jacques Schnee was slowly but surely pushed out of Schnee Dust by his own daughter. Where Weiss herself took up the mantle of Huntress, she entrusted the company into capable hands from within the ranks. In line with what Selina once suggested, she picked a team comprised of humans and faunus to lead and tasked them with improving working conditions without regard for lost profits.

Her brother Whitley was part of this new board, eyes on the inside but also a proponent of change. Many assumed Whitley's pivot to more faunus-friendly policies had to do with the company he kept; Whitley was occasionally spotted meeting Selina and they remained in contact for many years, much to Weiss's alienation. Even when distant they never stopped exchanging messages, be they counsel, jokes, or recent events. The avalanche of gossip surrounding their relationship did not help Weiss come to terms with it; Selina simply laughed it off when confronted, regardless of if it was by her friend or a reporter. Whitley simply kept his mouth shut about their own private joke.

Selina's tale, meanwhile, was a curious one. She passed Beacon with flying colours through extensive tutoring sessions, both with friends and the faculty. In fact, she went above and beyond by obtaining a teaching license. After graduation, the now-Huntress returned to Menagerie and set up a training program for aspiring hunters. As a certified combat instructor, she set the foundation for a new generation of protectors.

Nora and Ren followed their leader to Menagerie, inseparable as ever. The three soon formed the core of the fifth kingdom's hunter teams. Pyrrha separated from them, however; she realised that she was not meant to be a huntress somewhere along the way. The team parted on amenable terms and remained in contact still, even as their final member returned to being a gladiator. Much in difference to before, she now invested most of her surplus earnings into improving human-faunus relations.

Seeing that these relations continuously improved, the White Fang's popularity plummeted over the years. The coup de grace was delivered when Blake did not return to the fold after graduating Beacon; four years of exposure to Weiss and Selina made her realise the organisation was not as credible as she once believed. Sienna Khan, high leader of the White Fang, saw all this and ultimately decided to dissolve the group. Its goal was reached, if not by them.

If anyone spoke of the sudden influx of so many faunus with combat training or wilderness expertise, it was relegated to bars or the privacy of their own households.

Blake herself went on to form a traveling duo with her partner Yang. They went across Remnant fighting creatures of Grimm, Huntresses indeed. Although few of their friends and family were surprised when invitations to a wedding fluttered in sometime later.

Not all was well, however. CRDL lost their L as Sky Lark fell on a mission gone wrong during their third year. The remaining three hunched ever closer together, becoming an absolute unit of camraderie in his honour. In fact, Cardin Winchester soon became known as a paragon of virtue, much to the surprise of those who knew him as a teen.

That surprise regarding him was only surpassed because nobody ever expected him to propose to Velvet Scarlatina of all people. Much less for her to say yes. Ten years after Beacon came to an end, the two had somehow gone from acquaintances over tentative friends to lovers. Time certainly knew to facilitate great irony.

Velvet herself became known as one of the Legendary Three, the three greatest Huntresses of her generation. Standing right next to Ruby Rose and Lumina among public perception, her confidence grew notably. Each of them thrived upon the field of battle and they remained in contact with each other. Oftentimes people across Remnant debated which of them truly was the strongest, but nobody could quite make their case. The three women themselves never cared to speculate and truly could not have cared less about the subject.

The remainder of Velvet's team CFVY scattered to the winds, each following their own aspirations. Fox returned to his hometown to protect it permanently, Yatsuhashi took up teaching at Haven Academy, and Coco began a curious modeling career to promote intermingling between the populace and their champions. Yet even as they were separated by distance, it never quite managed to erode the bonds they forged.

Of the big three, only Ruby and Velvet actually worked as Huntresses normally would. Lumina took to travelling Remnant and eradicating creatures of Grimm without comment or mission. Her anger slowly dissipated over time, eroded by content and sometimes washed away with solemn grief.

Ruby herself spent the years until Summer Rose's death happy. She fought and lived with great joy; when it was time for her mother to leave for good, she saw her off with a smile. This time properly, having met and gotten to know the woman who led the greatest team of the last generation.

Adhering to her bargain with Lumina, Summer spread word of the Great Moth wherever she went. She and Ruby were the first members of the Order of Light, with the moth as its insignia. Her tireless effort to hold up her part of the bargain set the foundation for a group that would eventually become prominent across Remnant.

When Summer's time came, Lumina personally walked her to the pillar of light. She left it at that however, unwilling to burden whomever her friend would become in her next life with this one.

She had much more to do than just tend to her friends, though. The city of Atlas was set down and dismantled before Lumina consumed the Staff of Creation. General Ironwood had come to Vale's aid when he heard of the Grimm migrations, so hiding the truth was never an option. He was not happy with the deception, much less the prospect of losing his country's capital city. Yet Ozpin managed to talk him around before age took him; the reality of Salem's death and a deity treading on Remnant again had Ironwood relent.

The spirits of Staff and Lamp both preferred to vanish with their containers, even though Lumina offered to weave them proper bodies to live in. When asked whether they wanted to live, they deferred the choice back to Lumina as one connected to their creator. The nascent goddess understood that neither was truly alive, simply a good imitation of life and personality. They lacked the ability to choose.

With the dismantling of Atlas however, far-reaching choices were made. The first belonged to Penny Polendina, Huntress of the realm, who revealed her status as a synthetic soul. Though it took Remnant by surprise, the overall reception was positive; her kindness and exuberance swiftly extinguished what opposition there may have been. Yet despite the general acceptance, no more synthetics were ever born; Pietro Polendina took the secret of his daughter's donated soul to the grave.

Soon after, the Maidens came out of hiding. With the woman threatening their existence gone, they could finally reveal themselves to the world. Others naturally still coveted their power, but few dared attempt to take it. Fewer still succeeded and none who did survived their allies or Lumina herself coming for them.

Revered as demigoddesses, the Maidens soon became part of the Order of Light's canon; people came to see them as guardians chosen by the Great Moth. Lumina never corrected them.

However, only the Maidens of Summer, Winter, and Fall were known for decades. The Spring Maiden never came forward and was never found. Her identity remained a secret that Summer Rose took to the grave. The power only appeared once passed on, when Raven Branwen herself had died. Until that day she fought herself more than anyone to become a better person; despite her countless sins she continued to put in the effort. Summer and later Ruby supported her until the final moment.

In the end and regardless of her past misgivings, Raven found solace in The Radiance's light. It soothed her ravaged mind. And after finally finding the courage to confide in her brother, the twins managed to mend bridges to an extent. They only realised they passed the same day when Qrow met his sister on the other side and they walked toward reincarnation together.

Leading up to that day, the Branwen tribe slowly shrunk as its members returned to the kingdoms, one by one or in small groups. If Raven encouraged this or not, only she would ever know.

As another reformed outcast, Hazel Rainard still died before even Summer did. With Salem gone and the eternal battle in the shadows concluded, he dedicated his life to protecting the weak; he fell stemming a tide of Grimm on his lonesome. The small hamlet he saved would remember his name for generations, elevating the man to a local legend.

Meanwhile, Arthur Watts went on to live a long life; having reemerged after his reported death, he swiftly became a premier member of Vale's computer science community. Others followed his example after the dismantling of Atlas, which led to a shift in technological superiority toward the central kingdom. Arthur never spoke another word with his old partner Pietro, but with time he was convinced of Penny if nothing else.

Years swiftly turned to decades as issues were identified and solved. Menagerie grew into a kingdom of its own right, home to Charms and aura arts; both descended from Lumina's original teachings. The kingdom prospered as mainly faunus but also humans continued to expand it.

The day Ghira Belladonna died in his sleep, he had reigned as a never official king for over fourty years. He left behind not perfect equality, but great steps made in the right direction. His aged wife followed him a day later.

For the unaging Lumina, this particular goodbye was perhaps the most solemn; the first of many and unlike with Summer, she never knew when it might happen. It hurt to see these two go. Yet despite the pain and the tears she shed, Lumina personally walked each and every one of her friends to the pillar of light; just like she did for Summer in the past. With a final embrace, they were sent off to be reborn.

The moth herself stood to Remnant as a saint of the light. Once it became apparent she did not age, her slow usurpation of the Brother Gods' place became much more swift. Religious canon shifted to include, then feature The Radiance even over the world's absent creators. Her cocoon began to swell throughout decades, just as She desired. The Radiance would return in time, even if it took a thousand or ten thousand years, maybe more for Her gestation to complete. But if Lumina had her way, then the distant descendants of today's people would be graced by Her true light again.

With Salem gone, there was no great mind impeding progress anymore. That did not mean Remnant suddenly became a paradise, however. The creatures of Grimm continued to wreak havoc, continually pushed back by the advance of science yet never destroyed.

Almost exactly sixty years after Salem's final day, it was time to say goodbye again. Only this time the occasion became rather unconventional.

An aged Ruby strolled alongside Lumina, leading the moth down a cobblestone path. Age had bent the silver-eyed woman, time took her vitality as far as aura would allow it. Yet the retired Huntress retained her good spirit and was content. She lived a full life, had three beautiful children of her own, and now looked toward death as the next stop on her journey.

"Few are as calm about their impending end as you," Lumina noted with a glance to her old friend. Ruby, in turn, huffed.

"Please. We both knew it was a long time coming. I'm old now and it's okay. I did everything I wanted in life and more."

Here she left a short pause to glance at Lumina. A hint of worry snuck into Ruby's voice: "You will look after them, right?"

"Naturally."

"Good. Then I don't need to worry in the slightest." The one subject of concern settled and her descendants in good hands, she put on an impish grin. "Besides, it's not like I will die."

A beat.

"How do you mean?" Lumina asked, confused how her friend meant to escape the inevitable.

Ruby's grin grew in response and the aged woman sped up. Her old bones protested the rapid motion, but she ignored them and turned to rose petals; they had never lost their luster and raced across Remnant with near unparalleled speed. Lumina followed, still bewildered. She only understood upon realising where her friend went, though it gave rise to a new sort of worry.

"Are you certain?" the moth asked once they both became flesh once more. "Such a choice can not be undone."

"Pah. I thought about it for years, don't worry."

They stopped in front of a magnificent, crimson tent. Two horses studied them curiously, then competed for prime position to get pets from Ruby. Lumina stood at the side, faintly reassured yet still concerned for her friend's sanity.

Grimm joined them a moment later as he stepped out of the tent; time had not changed him in any way, now appearing like a grandson of Ruby's instead of a brother. An easy smile graced his features at their sight. He offered his actual sister a nod before addressing Ruby: "Good time, my dear. The flames were lit and soon we shall perform once more."

The moth stepped back, a mere witness to this moment. Her friend made the choice and Grimm was the final arbiter of accepting her desire. When Ruby stepped forward, she was received with open arms; Grimm embraced her and the pair began to glow.

A singular heartbeat sounded across existence as the Nightmare Heart's pulse echoed into the waking world again. Crimson energy filled Ruby, mixing with her own silver power before sinking into her body.

The aged woman began to shift; grey hair slowly regained its luster, wrinkled skin smoothed out. Her spine straightened as youthful vigour returned. Within seconds Ruby Rose returned to her full glory; she stood as she had in her mid-twenties, a beaming smile on her face. Then she pumped a fist.

"Yes! I was hoping for something like this! Thanks, Grimm!"

Brother and sister shared a chuckle at the exuberance on display. Ruby's excitable nature never quite vanished, but time tempered it. Right now she seemed once again the woman of her youth. True to form, she then turned around to embrace Lumina, who held her tightly.

"It is forever, Ruby," she reminded her friend. There was no reincarnation, no rest, not even death for the other woman anymore. "Farewell, and good luck."

"Same to you. Keep an eye on everyone."

Lumina blinked and they were gone. She could see the crimson Essence trail skyward, winking back at her.

Wiping off a single tear, the moth nodded. Her hand clasped around Event Horizon's handle; a sword Ruby once crafted for her, ornate more than practical, yet appreciated. A final memento of her friend.

"Yes," she told the empty air. "I will."

She remained there for a time to reminisce of past decades, but eventually turned away. There was one other matter that needed to be taken care of. Saying goodbye to Ruby reminded her of the one last actor in this entire mess.

"Intriguing," Oscar capped off her recounting of Ruby's choice and departure. "But as long as it makes her happy, I am not going to judge."

A scant few weeks had passed since that day. Lumina imagined that Ozma's latest reincarnation would be capable of sympathising. He remained content to stay in the background during this life, though she could find him regardless.

"I concur," she agreed. "Now, would you walk with me?"

"Of course?" Though a question was implied, he received no verbal response. Lumina wordlessly opened a rift into the realm betwixt worlds, surrounding them with dancing motes of Essence. She motioned for him to go ahead and followed right after, then the pair walked across an ethereal road of yellow bricks, seemingly headed toward an emerald city.

"Where exactly are we going?" Oscar asked, now hesitant.

Lumina simply offered a solemn smile. "To the end," she said.

It took some time, but he followed after her. The pair walked amongst the shades of people, a steady stream as before. Compared to their respective previous journeys down this path however, they were older. Less youths, fewer children passed them by. Only Oscar took notice of it, though Lumina had an inkling that something was different.

The moth spoke after some time: "Are you content with the way Remnant develops?"

"Yes," Oscar answered without hesitation. A faint smile found its way onto his face. "I have to thank you again, for doing what I never could. I lost hope so many times, but never before has it been fulfilled after I regained it. Thank you, truly."

His praise was genuine, an almost palpable sense of gratitude made manifest by their surroundings. Lumina simply inclined her head, accepting it with grace.

They kept walking in silence after that, down the yellow brick road. The emerald city passed them by as well, from where they could see the pillar of light. Soon enough The Radiance's silver cocoon became visible; it was the only other landmark at this point. Many a shade paused on their way at its sight, silently paying respect to the nascent goddess within.

"I know this place well," Oscar mused out loud. "But I never thought I would come here before another death. Your time with us has certainly been turbulent in every sense of the word."

Lumina chuckled in response. "It figures you would know," she said, no mind given to the rest of his statement. Then her tone grew serious: "But now to the reason I brought you here, Ozma."

His head swivelled back to her at the sound of his original name. Even through a hundred lives he never forgot the beginning. Lumina was looking upon him, not with malice but the utmost gentleness.

"It is time to rest. You have done well."

Her meaning was clear. Remnant's final dream seemed to grow still for a moment as Oscar hesitated; his eyes wandered between Lumina and the light. Then he slumped, allowing himself to let his fragile self be seen.

"Yes, that does sound good. I have lived longer than any human should, much like she did. I feel... thin, after all this time. Emaciated. Is this really something you can do for me?"

Lumina embraced him wordlessly. Her light seeped into his body and aged soul, filling it with warmth. Something within him dissolved, hardly felt as the moth undid what another had wrought so long ago. Ozma was free of the endless cycle, his mission complete.

Once she finished her work, Lumina gently pushed the wizard into the pillar. He did not resist, smiling until his body was fully dissolved.

Nobody would ever know that the last witness of Remnant's halcyon days had passed. The days before the fall, times of great kingdoms and heroes. Only Lumina stood witness and she was the one who would keep this secret.

In these minutes, a being of the void made their final trek across Remnant.

Ghost wandered for many years, going this way and that without purpose. Sometimes they interacted with humans again, once they even met Penny. The gynoid had been overjoyed and kept Ghost nearby for a full year; in the end however, they left to wander once more. They learned new skills along the way, thoughtless and without any aspirations. Only that the call of the void grew stronger in time.

Grimm was gone. The Abyss of Remnant grew restful; there was no enemy left to fight, nothing agitating it. Nothing to consume.

Hence why Ghost approached one of the pools of void matter now; the closest they had found along the way. They stepped inside without hesitation, losing coherence; the void was united once more. Their accumulated possessions dissolved with no thought spent on them. The godslayer's memories followed as they transcended the emptiness of space and returned from whence they came.

And far above where Ghost vanished, dawn broke. A new day had begun for Remnant.

Back