• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Something To Atone For. BtVS/AtS, Doyle SI.

The cruciamentum is NOT a "good test", it's how the British Empire based organization murders their Superhero as a teenager before she gets any big ideas about being a whole person who can fight indoctrination. It's not a test, it's a murder attempt and it's about maintaining control of the Slayer. Kids are easier to control than supernaturally strong independent grown women.

The cruciamentum is NOT a "good test", it's how the British Empire based organization murders their Superhero as a teenager before she gets any big ideas about being a whole person who can fight indoctrination. It's not a test, it's a murder attempt and it's about maintaining control of the Slayer. Kids are easier to control than supernaturally strong independent grown women.
That's fanon, shaped by the mess of the test that was Buffy's.

and was quick excited to receive

*quite excited

working on a couple more shells frames already."

Shells or frames, not both.

*hear me

It artifacts is her field of specialty."

Delete the It. Artifacts *are her field of specialty.

haunted by the spirits' of Watchers who who failed?"

Delete the apostrophe from spirits.

Either delete one of the who there, or insert a comma to make it clear he stuttered.

Finally we'll be able (I suppose)

That would be more proper as sentences go, but it's not necessarily a typo, since he spoke a similar sentence elsewhere in the scene.

What glass of tea?

Feets

hear

spirits

Finally we'll be able (I suppose)

Thanks for the chapter!
He's Giles, he always has one and it's his office. I felt that and his own kitchen are the two places I didn't need to explain it.

But thank you for the rest, fixing them now.

The "finally be able" is just a dialect thing. Internal thought and speech aren't under the same kind of scrutiny for grammatical mistakes(still are for spelling though). They have to be consistent with a speech pattern the character has established.

Did you miss the part where the SI broke down what part of it is a good test? Because telling a slayer about the test, giving them proper training, and then doing it under controlled circumstances, that is a good test. He even gave a few reasons for it.

The part that you are complaining about is the same part the SI confronted Giles on. It being a secret control feature is the problem.

And Just because it's the well established fanon that the Cruciamatum is meant to get rid of unruly slayers, that's not the official canon stance. It's the logical assumption for why they have it, but this reason is never explicitly stated in the series.

*quite excited

Shells or frames, not both.

*hear me

Delete the It. Artifacts *are her field of specialty.

Delete the apostrophe from spirits.

Either delete one of the who there, or insert a comma to make it clear he stuttered.

That would be more proper as sentences go, but it's not necessarily a typo, since he spoke a similar sentence elsewhere in the scene.
Thank you, fixing now.

While the cruciamentum isn't a good" test" that fake test almost smacked every goodwill Giles had with Slayer Buffy Summers friendship/ trust( Sarah Michelle Gellar) in the previous cannon timeline season. Since some people have a somewhat reasonable bad taste opinion from the cruciamentum ( that certain parts can definitely be changed). As general opinion think about the fake test in toxic masculine and control conditions for the Slayer ( in Buffy Fandom) and Cannon.
Anyway Why sudden 180 change in Gwen Post behavior( certainly the Incan princess Slayer Quilliana can't be that interesting, considering she 's hunting down the lighting glove artifact and friendship with Charles Gunn has even more unintentional ripple effect on her possible betrayal or not is still up on the air?
I Don't know why Giles considers Darla a hybrid vampire ( ensouled) though, but Giles is definitely interested in Robotic implications for Dennis situation on dead watchers. Including Buffy Summers might actually like him being her own personal Seer ( like a Watcher job) except she totally crushing him and Si Doyle hasn't seen it coming yet till later. Angel ( liam) Pike, Faith Lehnan trio is still out in the winds for now at the moment.
We'll see how it goes next time for our resident Si Doyle and Scooby gang in "Something to Atone For " at the meantime.
See you soon Author San
Cheers!
`

Before this turns into a derail, I want to clarify what Doyle means. The test itself without any of the Watcher meddling, that is at it's core a good test. As long as the Slayer knows about it ahead of time, agrees to it, is given time to train/cope, and it's under controlled circumstances. That can be very useful.

The secret/control, possibly meant to kill the Slayer for getting too old, using not a fledgiling and endangering Joyce. Those are all terrible aspects and are what the SI was putting his foot down on. "The Council still wants to give Buffy the test, then tell her about it or I'm taking over her guidance."

We don't have an explicit canon reason for a lot of the Council's behaviour. It's logical and very likely to assume it's all negative. But because the series turned everything into a metaphor, clear cut answers are very hard to come by. We've all read hundreds of Buffy fics where the Council is either corrupt or incompetent. I don't have any interest in retreading the same ground every author has covered.

So my Council is stretched so thin it can't help out, some of the Watchers are corrupt though it is a minority. I'm not trying to provide the most likely answer to a lot of these questions(Not saying this is the actual canon), I'm just trying to give plausible alternatives for things that don't get explicit answers.

Edit: No chapter tonight. Spent so long cleaning up after the storm, that I'm too tired to finish.

Last edited:
Chapter 65: Safety First
Chapter 65: Safety First

Watching Buffy and Qullana spare against each other just makes me embarrassed about my own skills. The Princess may not have the full strength of a Slayer anymore. But she's been getting stronger by the day as her spirit settles into Cathryn's body.

My only consolation is that even Darla seems envious of the grace on display. "It's not fair how easy it is for them. It took me centuries to reach that level."

Something in the four hundred year old's tone doesn't even seem sure of that claim. But being a consummate gentleman, I don't point out the green hue she's taken on.

"Not like Slayers even get a decade, so I think they still get the short end of the stick." Only three vampires on Earth can even feel bad about anything they've done and I made one of them.

While Apo and Giles call out advice to the combatants, I notice Tara and Angel approaching nervously. "You don't have to worry, Darla isn't going to bite."

"Unless you ask me to." Smirking at the suddenly Canadian coloured girls, Darla thankfully keeps any laughter from popping out of her mouth.

Pale with fright at the idea of being drained by an actual vampire, Angel is quick to reject the offer. But Tara's red face is complete with an incredibly embarrassed posture.

Tara's light up with amusement as she sees something in the vampire. "You don't really mean that."

"How do you know that?" Darla's shoulder's tense at what sounds like the witch's challenge.

"I can see your Aura. It's how I know you aren't a bad vampire like all the rest." Growing confident in her words, Tara's voice almost loses the stutter in her voice entirely. "You're just scared we're going to stop being nice once they leave. But we're still friends with Ford and he's a jerk."

"First he was blaming everything on the cancer and now he can't do anything because he's to tired all the time." Rolling her eyes at the thought of the classmate who has to check in three nights a month, Tara makes it clear his attitude isn't much better than it was in the show. "He's just one of those people who wants to blame the world for all of his problems."

The confidence in her statement makes me positive Tara's evaluated his aura just the same as she did with the rest of us. "Not Real Ghostbuster material?"

The kind witch considers it for only a few seconds before shaking her head. "No. Billy wouldn't do good in a crisis."

"Good enough for me. I trust your judgment." No talking about anything important the nights he's checked in.

My instant acceptance has Darla staring at me as if I'm a completely new species. But she doesn't say anything and reevaluates her opinion of me in silence as Buffy pins the Princess.

"Anyone want to keep snickering about the arm wrestling?" Barely over five feet tall, Buffy somehow towers over the members of the crew watching the action.

"It's funny because now you know how all of us feel." Gunn is the only one of his guys brave enough to face her wrath and he does it with a swagger. "But it's just a more extreme case of you versus Doyle. Dennis is even stronger than that and that means he's even slower."

"You could tell?" The phantom chuckles as a bunch of heads swivel his way. "I thought I'd gotten pretty good at moving around."

The smirk grows as Gunn leans against the wall. "I may not have the book smarts the Watchers got. But I have more field experience than all of them combined."

His specific phrasing sounds like he's repeating a speech his sister gave him and not coming up with it on the spot. Though however he came up with them, the words get mutters of approval from his boys.

"Glad you aren't being so hard on yourself anymore." Everyone seems a lot more stable than when I first met them at the ramshackle hideout.

"I might not be able to hit the books." His chest puffs up with cockiness that isn't just bravado. "But I can hit the demons almost as good as Buffy."

Snorting at the ridiculous statement, Buffy doesn't correct him. "Well you better be able to. I'm not going to be here much longer and it's up to you to pick up the slack."

That grim truth makes the laughter stop as the crew are faced with the knowledge these few months are really only a vacation from the true danger of the mission. But as reality settles onto the stone faced crew, Qullana has to speak up with her broken English.

"You not do alone." Even though she looks like a middle aged mother, the Princesses' voice seems more like she's been dubbed over by foreign language network. "My mission too. Not over."

Tight faced at the idea of needing a soccer mom to save them, Gunn surprises me by forcing himself to laugh. "At least the guys are treating the old ladies better. Just sad it took being scared of super powers to get them all doing it."

"I told them I get to pick the next Slayer when I die and each one of them that I really like their girlfriend..." Whispering low enough the crew can't hear her, Buffy smirks at the bald teen.

"Well I'm not correcting them." Gunn snorts in clear amusement. "Don't have enough time to teach the boys how to be proper men. Barely have enough time to show them how to fight before one of them dies."

"Excuse me?" His grumbling seems to annoy Buffy into correcting him. "How many of your crew have died since we started working together?"

Flushing with the reminder such a petite girl is the one responsible, Gunn eventually grumbles out an answer. "... Two."

"And how many happened in the field?" Crossing her arms, Buffy has far too much swagger for a conversation about death.

"None..." Rolling his eyes, an annoyed Gunn's answer makes me frown in confusion. What?

She notices my face and nods respectfully my way. "Never going to say anything about you making people wear a helmet again."

"Uh..." Completely lost, I look around for someone who will throw me a bone.

Thankfully Tara takes pity on me and provides a whispered explanation. "Car accident last month. Wasn't anything supernatural at all."​

Where's Buffy & Princess Slayer Quilliana Spar!
While Doyle gets a clue about his own fighting skills and ensouled Darla is somwhat impressed by Si Doyle about Billy and revaluation of him by Tara McClay. As princess Slayer Quilliana mysterious mission from the past isn't over yet hmm?
As Si Doyle was shocked when an unexpected natural rational occurs no supposed supernatural application required by death of Gunn's Crew members ?
We'll see how it goes next time for our Si Doyle and Scooby gang in "Something to Atone For " at the meantime.
Catch ya later
Cheers!

Watching Buffy and Qullana spare against each other just makes me embarrassed about my own skills. The Princess may not have the full strength of a Slayer anymore. But she's been getting stronger by the day as her spirit settles into Cathryn's body.
Weren't Slayer powers connected to the body and not the soul?

I'm going to be honest. I'm close to burning out and using any excuse to not write. I'm going to take a couple das and recoup.

Take care my dude! Sometimes all you need is a few days or something else to get the creative juices flowing.
I realized after 4 days in a row of working myself to exhaustion with yard work, I really needed a mental break. With my other stories, I pretty much ran out of things I wanted to do. But with this one I'm just getting started and I'm just going to take until monday-tuesday off. I think with the days I did 2 chapters, that still technically leaves me at 1 chapter a day.

Chapter 65: Divorced From The Truth
Chapter 65: Divorced From The Truth

Buffy's shock at being invited out for dinner with my 'family' was quickly swapped out for annoyance when I told her to extend it to Joyce as well. But she did so with only a little bit of grumbling and promised the duo would meet us at the International House of Pancakes.

Our phantom is quite excited to be going out to do something normal and is practically bouncing with each step. Of course Angel is busy explaining some of the societal changes since the seventies while we wait to be seated when Dennis makes a few out of date comments.

"Racist robot..." Fred's pinched expression meets my tired eyes as Tara starts to back up her 'aunt's' words. "Was really not expecting that."

"Good thing he's not staying at the hotel." He'd probably get turned into scrap for treating one of the crew like the help.

Mary's groan is followed by her stepping in to settle things with Dennis. Of course since the phantom is supposed to be our father, Mary's public tongue lashing is more than a little amusing.

It does the job though and soon the android is promising not to repeat his more colourful phrases. He never apologized for any of them though, makes me leery about what he might try teaching the girls.

With Darla spending the evening with Giles, it at least means the evening should be free of any unnecessary tension. Not sure why she volunteered to spend an evening with the Watcher. But I'm not going to turn up my nose if my newest responsibility wants to be helpful.

We barely get our pitcher of water before the Summers ladies arrive in clothes that put Dennis and myself to shame. Really need to ask Lorne if he still wants to throw out my wardrobe. If I'm going to be taking Fred out more often, I need something better than work clothes.

"This was unexpected but certainly a welcome invitation," Joyce greets us with a smile that nearly conceals a tenseness to her posture. "And it seems this isn't the only thing I need to thank you for. Buffy's grades have only been improving since she befriended your sister."

"Mom!" An incredibly embarrassed Buffy flushes pink.

Rolling her eyes, Joyce's amusement seems to wipe away the stress. At least for one meal. "I'm just happy I don't have to worry about you repeating senior year now."

"Wasn't that bad..." Staring hard at her menu, Buffy tries to stop the teasing from working. The way her ears go red just proves the attempt failed though and I make sure not to smirk.

"You're the one running around with a gang. Don't blame me for being worried about you." Joyce's hard stare bores into her daughter's head and I realize this is Joyce still in the dark about everything.

Holding in a wince at my failure to remember the entire timeline perfectly, I try to do some damage control. "Are you talking about Charles and Alonna Gunn?"

Nodding stiffly at the names, Joyce reveals she has been doing her own motherly investigation of Buffy's social life. "The ones who 'pranked' the dance."

"I think Buffy left some important details out..." Trying to make Buffy stay silent with a discreet wink from behind my own menu, I spin things as best I can. "Because I've been to the Hyperion and it's a medical clinic for the underprivileged."

Shock fills Joyce's face as she turns to her child. "... You aren't in a gang?"

"No." Crossed arms and a hurt voice is Buffy's response.

"Buffy's been helping me volunteer for weeks now," Tara is quick to support her best friend with our fibbing.

Catching on quicker than I would have expected, Buffy spins the yarn even further. "I thought they could help Billy."

"Oh." The name of the werewolf Buffy has known most of her life is enough for Joyce to start 'understanding' the secrecy. "And you didn't tell me because?"

"I didn't know if he was going to make it." The grim words slip right out of the Slayer's mouth before she has a chance to censor herself. "I just didn't want to talk about it once I got home."

"Is that why you're buried in your diary whenever you are actually home?" Joyce starts making connections to the change in her daughter's behaviour.

Shrugging off the concern, Buffy tries to deflect by throwing me under the bus. "Mister Doyle suggested it and it's really been helping me cope with..." Her face contorts for a brief moment in wry amusement. "Stuff."

"How's it been coming?" Unable to resist the temptation, I take the bait Buffy dangled for me. "Did you come up with an outline for the story yet?"

"Actually?" Scared about being judged for academic interest, Buffy only continues when she realizes no one at the table will laugh. "I think I'm almost done with my first draft. Could you take a look at it over the holidays?"

Shock swiftly changes into excitement at the idea of Buffy having actual interests outside of violence. "Of course I can. I'll send it back with Tara after she spends Christmas in Sunnydale."

"You live in Sunnydale?" Curiosity surges from Joyce. "What's it like?"

With that unintentional opening, I do my best to steer the Summers women away from the deathtrap. It doesn't work of course and when I find out she's already purchased a house, I switch to giving her the upsides.

"You'll be lucky to see a live show unless you like local talent. And the Mayor has some pretty heavy restrictions put in place on anything broadcast in town." Really just adds more to the explanation for why the teens have so many references from some weird mixture of the good old days. "But as long as your tastes aren't too modern, the art scene is pretty decent."

"That's a relief. I was worried I was going to be bankrupt by the end of the year." Joyce explains how she's leased the art gallery in town and was worried Sunnydale wouldn't have enough interest with a population under fifty thousand.

Thinking back on my memories of the show, I know she does better than ninety percent of new businesses just by virtue of not closing down the same year she opens. "Expect to be expanding before too long. And if you really want to do well, just tell Buffy to make friends with Cordelia."

Conversation starts to bounce between topics when our food is brought out, with Dennis being the one who surprisingly takes charge of the majority. He does splendid at sticking to the cover story and none of his embellishments turn out to be retcons I need to correct.

"I've been married three times and I can admit the loneliness can get bad some nights." The phantom has seemingly mastered his facial expressions when gives Joyce a sympathetic smile. "But I at least got four wonderful children out of it. Just worried I might have passed that trait on to my kids since the oldest two both got separated this year."

Mary doesn't react with anything beyond some words of encouragement towards Joyce. But I get tense as I notice how many curious eyes are on me right now.

"You're divorced?" Confused at my young age, Joyce's eyes narrow as she tries to do mental math.

"Not yet, Harry hasn't sent the paperwork yet." She told me not to contact her in the message, so I kind of have to wait until she does.

"What happened?" Buffy is desperate for answers she can apply to her own situation and it's obvious at by the way her eyes keep darting to her mother. "Who's fault was it?"

Stiffly shrugging at the question, I try to give an answer that isn't going to make me look terrible. "Mostly mine."

"What did you do?" Fred is shocked into breaking her silence, her brown crinkling into one of the deepest frowns I've ever seen her have.

"Felt sorry for myself for too long and she got tired of watching me self destruct." No point sugar coating the mistakes made before I became Doyle, I have no emotional attachment to them. "A marriage is a partnership and I was just letting Harry row us around in circles." That's what happens when only one person is rowing.

Mary proves to have some actual emotional intelligence though and takes over the conversation with a warm tone directed at a concerned Buffy. "Children aren't the ones to blame for a divorce. If it truly was your fault, they'd have just put you up for adoption instead."

"OF course it's not your fault!" Gasping at the words, Joyce pulls her daughter into a tight hug. "Hank and I have been fighting for years." Despite her cries of protest, Buffy doesn't actually resist the kisses being peppered onto her head right now.​

Last edited:
WHERE'S IT'S NOT BUFFY SUMMERS ADDRESSED( DIVORCE)!
A family outing reveals startling revelations for our Si Doyle and recent fallout for Buffy parents divorce ( the jerk) that particular episode didn't make sense for Buffy (supposed problematic childhood and splitting up,which he wasn't father of the year either. While Si Doyle explained previous Doyle self destructive mistakes prior to the cannon events divorce of his own making ,including Summers moving to Sunnydale and Hyperion hotel clinic endeavor mentioned at the family outing
As our unlikely Slayer Buffy Summers was shown some love by Joyce Summers (ahh cutenes) at the waffle house at the moment.
We'll see how it goes next time for our Si Doyle with Scooby gang in "Something to Atone For " at the meantime.
Hope you feels better Author
Catch ya later
Cheers!

Interlude 13: Target Of Opportunity
Interlude 13: Target Of Opportunity

The way Cordelia and her posse intently examined the less popular teens lasted for nearly an entire hour before the 'queen' approached. Her scowl was primarily directed at Xander who refused to back down, his own posture puffing up in preparation for banter.

"I'm impressed. None of you hurt my eyes tonight." Cordelia's eyes darted over to the Jewish girl and softened microscopically. "You even got Willow to look decent."

A cherry red blush covered every bit of Willow's exposed skin at the backhanded compliment. Her glee at finally having other girls to help her shop quickly replaced with shame at the need for it.

Marcie's protest was ignored by everyone in place of listening to Xander's sudden tirade. "I've spent weeks looking at fashion magazines and you know what I've realized?"

"How grateful you are for my attention?" His smirk worried Cordelia but she wasn't able to back down in front of such a big crowd.

"Nothing any of you have worn this fall has been high fashion." The retort slipped out of his lips before he could stop himself and the instant scowl is almost enough to make him regret it. Almost.

Quickest to catch on, Amy threw her own support behind the burn. "At least not this year. I'm pretty sure Harmony's dress as in style last spring though."

Furious insults fired back and forth between the two groups after that opening salvo and lasted until security was forced to kick out the whole lot of teens. This of course just made the rich girls even more enraged, with promises of school being even worse than it was before.

After the preps made some guys with cars drive them home, the less popular group was forced to walk home. Jonathon and Marcie broke off first with clear plans to enjoy the last hour before her curfew in private.

Though when Willow tried to take the few blocks to her house solo, the other three firmly rejected the idea. Amy quickly pointing out that Willow was the only one without a cross.

"Jesse can walk you home. It's practically the same distance for him either way." Amy suggested a tad too quickly for it to be completely unplanned.

"But I don't want to walk past the hot sauce factory," Whined Jesse with a pout taking over his face. "It always burns my eyes."

"As much as it would to be crying at my funeral?" Doe-eyed and with an oddly sweet voice, Willow turned to Jesse with unspoken threat in her posture.

The logic in her statement just made the lanky teen groan. "... Fine. But I'm stealing some more of the brownies you made."

"Already ate them all," Apologized Amy as with a guilt free look exchanged with her fellow girl. "We asked if you wanted to bake brownies with us."

"But why did Xander get some?" Betrayed at the knowledge his best friend has a few sealed in Tupperware, Jesse's whine only got more petulant. "I know he didn't help. I've seen Xander burn a salad."

"Did the dishes." Chest puffed out in smug amusement, Xander rubbed his belly for emphasis.

Glad the teasing was off of her, Willow happily joined the change of subject. "Wrinkled hands worth the chocolate?"

"Only because you didn't put walnuts in mine." He made a disgusted face at the idea and even pretended to gag. "The peanut butter doesn't make me think you're tricking me into eating something healthy like that zucchini cake we had at your birthday."

"Did you even notice until I told you?" Her eyes rolled at the attitude as Willow clearly remembered his initial reaction a few weeks ago. "Because you really seemed to like the first two pieces."

"It was a dirty trick!" Horror filled Xander's voice as he had to resist the urge to scrape his tongue. "You just don't feed a guy vegetables like that. Not without telling him at least!"

Trying to earn back some brownie points, Jesse muttered a contrary opinion. "... I liked the cake."

"Really?" Eyes now wide with excitement, Willow turned on the tallest among them eagerly. "So you want us to make one for your birthday too?"

"Uh..." Confronted with the sudden inquiry, Jesse realized he was trapped unless he wanted to hurt her feelings. "Sure. That would be fantastic."

They reached the redhead's street not too much later, with promises to meet up tomorrow being exchanged before they split up. But when Xander and Amy continued on into the cheaper neighbourhoods, neither noticed the stalker.

Colin could only feel relief when his prey made itself vulnerable at last. Without knowing what happened to Luke, his own attempt at revenge was more cautious.

For days now he had followed the teens the seer had taken under his wing. The stench of something not quite human was enough to make the six stand out like beacons.

Once the seer had left town the night prior, Colin knew he had to act fast. He's never been gone for more than a few days. Worry over the seer intervening filled the Aurellian vampire as he worked up the nerve to charge. I need to do this before he comes back!

With a hiss of fury, Colin threw himself at the duo as soon as they got close to the bushes he was crouched in. "Time to be the favourite!"

The words don't make any sense to the teens. But they can easily hear the wish for violence in the voice and react faster than the vampire would have liked.

The one called Xander pushed the witches daughter away and tried to hold off Colin with his cross. But aside from making him flinch away for a few seconds, the distraction failed to really do anything.

I fear failure more than the faith. The mantra repeated in Colin's mind as he chased after the brunette, while the girl sobbed in fear behind him.

Unlike his normal prey, this teen was fit enough to run more than a few blocks before collapsing. Just means the blood will taste better.

Well That just sucks to the rest of the Scooby gang in the Sunnydale area town, along with the Vampire Colin worried about the recent missed vampire Luke whereabouts of course, but our unlikely Scooby gang really flight or response this time as one of the victim suddenly became a target of opportunity for the Master. Although Si Doyle isn't like this at all once this little incident gets out .unfortunately our Real Ghostbusters team might suffer a real blow this time around, especially when with Buffy Summers ( Sarah Michelle Gellar ) arrival is still a few months sway at the other side of the city at theSunnydale high school town . My best speculation guess?
We'll see how it goes next time for our resident Si Doyle and Scooby gang in "Something to Atone For " at the meantime.
Catch ya later
Cheers!

Chapter 67: Plan For The Practical
Chapter 67: Plan For The Practical

As soon as Amy sobs out the words, guilt sears right through me as a single thought reverberates in my skull. This is my fault.

Sure a few more people may be alive. But since I don't know anything about those nameless faces I've saved, they mean nothing in the face of such a personal loss.

Xander was my favourite and now he's gone. If I would have just let him and Jesse be immature teens, he'd still be alive right now.

I hate having to voice the question and yet someone must. "Has his body been found yet?" It's nearly noon and vampires are known for 'littering'.

"No." With a humourless voice, Jesse stares me down with blame only moments from being placed at my feet. "But you told us what that means."

"I'm so sorry," My apology slips out even though I know it's meaningless to the three devastated teens.

Willow shakes her head desperate to convince herself something can be done. "But you gave her a soul. Why can't we give Xander his back?"

Flinching at the suggestion, Darla visibly shudders before she answers. "Do you hate the boy?"

"Of course not!" Tears streak down Willow's face as she starts to work herself into a fury. "How could you even ask something like that?"

"Because it's curse and every hour is filled with suffering," Hisses Darla at the shocked redhead even as her rage filled eyes pierce through me.

Trying to cut through the suddenly tense atmosphere in my kitchen, Angel plays peacemaker. "Xander said he didn't want to be a vampire though."

Silence fills the room as we all know the words are true. Only one thing left we can do for him.

"Make sure none of you go out at night until I deal with this." I'm not losing another student because I got careless. Hell, this one might be enough to break me once the adrenaline wears off.

"Deal with this how?" Understanding fills Jesse's eyes even as he tries to deny it with every fibre of his being.

"The only way we can curse Xander is if the vampire does something terrible enough that one of us wants revenge," Amy explains the finer details of the spell with a frown. "But once that happens, Xander will be stuck with constant flashes of the vampire's crimes."

I wasn't aware of that detail when I came up with my plan and it makes me feel even worse for Darla. Guess that was proof of how I'd handle the trolley problem though.

"Jenny's the only one who can do it and that would mean she has hate him." All eyes swivel back to me. "Friends don't let friends get cursed by Gypsies."

"And he says we talk weird?" Jesse's annoyed mutter gets a grin of amusement out of Amy. But it doesn't even last five seconds before the dark mood wipes any hint of humour away.

Ignoring the remark, I struggle to get my head above the pool of guilt about to drown me. "Don't invite Xander inside. It's not him anymore."

Willow flinches away from my intense stare and starts to sob into Amy's arms. But even though I had assumed Jesse would be laying all his fury at my feet. It's strange to realize his rage isn't being directed my way.

"You're going to put him to rest, right?" Hands trembling at his side, he only gets them to stop by clenching both fists tightly. "I'm helping."

"So am I." Amy's own vocal agreement joins him and is quickly followed by a 'me too' from Willow. But Jon and Marcie are being awfully quiet right now.

"I don't think that's such a good id-" My attempt to dissuade the teens is interrupted.

Willow's sudden fierce shocks me into silence as she explains exactly why I'm not going to turn down the aid. "You told us to take lessons and we did."

Her voice stops quivering by the end of the declaration and her green eyes bore into me. Just knowing what Willow is capable of when she really sets her mind to it, has me resisting the urge to take a step backwards.

Darla ends up being the one who ends the discussion with her honest words. "Can't just keep moving the finish line on us if we're supposed to trust anything you have to say."

She's right. "It's not like I'm in charge of any off you once the bell rings."

Even if I tell them to stay at home, how well did that work on Xander in the second episode? The fact that they can still remember the truth of the night is proof I'm not going to be able to scare them off.

"If you insist on helping me..." My eyes scan the three volunteers for any sign of doubt. Of course I don't find even a shred of it between them though.

"We do." Amy doesn't wait for even a second, her insistence being backed up by two stiff nods of agreement.

"Well get ready for one of the worst tests I'm ever going to give you." Vampires wear the victims face and the show definitely brushed over how hard it is to drive something sharp into a person's heart.

Confusion passes between the teens as they struggle to come up with an answer. But judging by the various expressions each of them ends up with, I'll need to explain exactly what I mean.

"It's going to look and feel exactly like you're killing Xander again." Rage at my failure to keep him safe bubbles inside me. "So let's make sure you can at least do that to a stranger first."

"How do you train for something like that?" Jesse growls in frustration when he thinks I'm just looking for another excuse to bench them.

If I handle this the wrong way, they're just going to start working behind my back and someone else will get hurt."I'll knock a fledge around for each of you and pin it down. Anyone who can actually ash the vampire, gets to start helping out with the real stuff."

"Really?" Waiting for the other shoe to drop, Jesse's eyes narrow onto me.

"We made a deal..." Even if I thought most of you would have quit by now.

The surprises continue to pile up as Darla smirks at me. "They should probably all get an idea of how strong a vampire really is and I think the message will have more of an impact if I'm the one to deliver it."

"Huh?" Amy tries not to reveal how excited she is at what the teens think just became an easier task. "But aren't you stronger than vampires?"

"Not the really old ones." Somewhere between three and four hundred years is when they start edging me out in sheer power.

Still not used to the idea of immortality, none of the teens seem to realize I'm including Darla in that category. With both Jesse and Amy insisting they get this over with before sunset, I'm glad at least one of us seems excited after the news about Xander.

Jesse turns down the offer to borrow some of my sweats and cockily helps me clear some space for the mats. But even though he started out eager to get his hands on Darla's body, the perverted teen regrets his mistake quickly.

In less than a ten seconds Jesse is on his knees and whimpering as Darla twists his arm painfully behind his back. "How old are you?"

"Don't you know better than to ask a lady that?" Darla hisses in annoyance as she's reminded of centuries of terrible memories, the glare at her opponent now being full of real heat.

"He really doesn't know better than anything," Offers Willow as she tries to hold in a burst of laughter. "Good luck making anything stick."​

Where's the hits keep coming/ Welcome to the first day of vamp Xander new Life ( ahh shucks)!
At this rate there's gonna be lots of ensouled Vampires running around besides Angel and bff Darla and if when they catch back up with newest baby vamp Xander boy ( know Xander can't make all those dead boy jokes at Angel though ( more comedy ( levity) sake if and when the young Scooby gang try to ensoul the baby vamp Xander , As our Willow proves when she put her mind to it ( Dark Willow) vibes to save bff Xander no matter the cost hmm?
As our Si Doyle with bff Darla works for a game plan and giving an opportunity to fight an actual vampire situation ( with Si Doyle getting over this recent failure that he didn't count on or prevented with the his recent ripple effect on the Sunnydale Scooby gang ) by default. Unfortunately Si Doyle is unaware of that Master plan wasn't Xander boy but he definitely a accident sorta causality of the fallout of bff ensouled vampire Darla and Master wanting to bring Si Doyle to heel Unfortunately by mistake
But this makes an unexpected gift for the master vampire for now.
Meantime Jesse learns that pretty older lady Darla is lot more than she appears as quickly took down Jesse on the train mat ( boy still has much learn about women, ahh), which was a total parallel to Xander boy efforts as didn't even try though Amy mom Catherine Madison trying out her daughter Amy supposed boyfriend ,haha!
We'll see how it goes next time for our resident Si Doyle and Scooby gang and how to Xander boy in Something to Atone For at the meantime.
Catch ya later
Cheers!

Where's the hits keep coming/ Welcome to the first day of vamp Xander new Life ( ahh shucks)!
At this rate there's gonna be lots of ensouled Vampires running around besides Angel and bff Darla and if when they catch back up with newest baby vamp Xander boy.

Meantime Jesse learns that pretty older lady Darla is lot more than she appears as quickly took down Jesse on the train mat ( boy still has much learn about women, ahh), which was a total parallel to Xander boy efforts as didn't even try though Amy mom Catherine Madison trying out her daughter Amy supposed boyfriend ,haha!
Cheers!
Xander can't get a soul unless he makes it personal with the caster of the curse. Right now that just means he needs to leave Jenny alone.

Glad you caught the paralel. I thought Jesse would have said yes in the situations Xander turned down.

So his sight didn't trigger to protect someone he cared about...
It didn't trigger for a reason. maybe the Powers just didn't care about Xander enough, maybe something was causing interference, or maybe this is part of the new plan Whistler seems to be following.

But we do know that the vampire that Xander becomes is a freak of nature by vampire standards.

Supposedly putting Angelus to shame in both cunning and cruelty while some how managing to surpass Luke and Darla in strength as well becoming the Masters top enforcer.

The one he sends when he wants to send a message.

Becoming a master vampire and all that entails in like a year.

Chapter 68: Feel The Failure
Chapter 68: Feel The Failure

"Ready Willow?" Straining against the vampire in my grip, I wrestle the dirt covered demon to the ground.

Jesse's own pile of dust has already blown away in the wind while we waited for another grave to stir. Not a single joke has slipped out of his lips since and it's clear he's having a difficult time coping with what I know feels like committing murder. Unless the vamp is in game face, it feels exactly like snapping Seidel's neck.

"Do it fast," His comment is stiff with tension.

"And don't miss." My words have more than a hint of frustration as my thigh throbs in pain.

Not teasing him about needing to try three times, Willow heeds the advice with a tight expression filling her face. Roaring with primal fury, the redhead brings the stake downwards with all her might.

Actually having studied a person's anatomy, her weapon does pierce the heart on the first try. The cloud of ash explodes over the two of us and leaves us both wheezing on the grass as the others cheer for the girl.

"Good job..." I finally manage to cough out when my breathing slows back down to normal. "Definitely an A plus."

Flushing in embarrassment at my sidelong glance, Jesse shuffles over to embrace a shuddering Willow. "That was horrible!"

"But you did it." He pats her back as she tries not to sob. "With a shiny gold star and everything."

It's hard to hide my own trembling hands as Fred pulls me to feet. Once her worried eyes lock onto my own with a promise to talk later, it becomes completely impossible.

"You do this every night?" Pale as a sheet, Jonathon is clutching his cross so hard I'm concerned he might snap it. "Fight monsters?"

"Not every night..." I try to insist.

Only for Fred to snort in amusement and correct me immediately. "You've only taken five nights off this month, Mister Workaholic."

"Well I am on salary." Thinking fast, I manage to come up with a response that makes her smile. "Pretty much means I'm always on call for the Powers."

The teens pick up on the flirting with various expressions of awkwardness. All of them except Willow that is, who suddenly looks furious.

"What are the Powers?" Her questions shut everyone up. "And why didn't they warn you about Xander?"

"Um..." That's a good question actually. "The Powers are pretty much gods." Why didn't they send me a vision? "And I have no idea why they let this happen." But I can probably guess that it's my fault.

I did get pretty confrontational with the Oracles. This could all just be to teach me a lesson. That thought makes my rage bubble up again and it takes a hell of a lot of effort to bury it so I can try to think of plausible reasons.

"It could have been some kind of interference." Cordelia's visions got hijacked by Wolfram and Hart after all.

"That's a little terrifying." Amy's voice is full of dread as she speaks for everyone. "Who could have that much mojo?"

With a voice a little louder than her friends, Marcie is next to voice her concern. "You did say the Powers are gods."

Well that just fills me with all kinds of happy thoughts. Now my fears are filled with the First, Jasmine, or the law firm already targeting me and it's hard to think straight.

"One thing at a time." Fred's voice splashes down over me like a miracle and I soak them up eagerly. "Xander and the Master first."

"We really can't do anything for him?" Desperate for anything, Willow pleads with Amy for some kind of magical answer.

Guilty at having to say no, Amy eventually gets the words out. "Miss Calendar took away most of my mom's books. She said they're way too advanced for someone at my level to even think about looking at."

"I don't hear anymore digging." Straining my ears doesn't reveal any more fledges in this cemetery. "I think we can call it for the night."

"But I didn't get one..." It's not quite a whine that escapes Amy, more of a relieved groan.

"We can try again tomorrow night," insists Fred as she notices me favouring my right leg. "Someone's just going to get hurt if we keep going."

"It was an accident!" Throwing his hands up in guilt, Jesse flinches away from my girlfriend's glare. "... And I said I was sorry."

A dark chuckle comes out of a smirking Marcie. "You're so going to fail his class."

While the other teens banter back and forth on the way to my van, Jonathon remains quiet the entire way. His face is grim while he buckles himself up and it's obvious he feels conflicted about something.

It's not until I pull up outside his house that he reveals what it is though. "I don't think I can keep doing this."

Once he gets the words out, the short boy cringes in preparation for his friends' backlash. But it never comes and eventually he relaxes enough to open his eyes again.

None of us are mad and that's enough to get a sigh out of Jonathon. "I'm just not cut out for this kind of thing. I was terrified the whole night."

"So was I," Jesse admits with a light dusting of pink on his own cheeks. "But I'm too mad right now."

"I'm not really an angry person though..." With more confidence than his earlier confession, Jonathon shares his fears with his friends.

"Well I am." Willow's voice is filled with enough conviction to fill a stadium.

Flinching away from the redhead's rage, Jonathon looks ready to change his mind. But Marcie sees this and refuses to be ignored this time.

"You aren't listening!" Emotions skyrocket along with Marcie's voice. "We're scared!"

Glad some of you have some sense. "... Good."

Shocked cries are mixed with relieved sighs as my words just stir the pot. But I ignore the bickering and whistle loud enough to cut through the cacophony.

"Enough!" Glaring at both Jesse and Willow, I make it clear they've crossed a few lines. "This is volunteer work, they aren't draft dodging. You are not going to make anyone feel bad for being scared."

"But Xander-" Jesse tries to argue just to be shut up when I level a stern glare on him.

"Xander is gone." And it's all my fault.

"And I'm terrified one of us is going to be next!" Jonathon finally admits the real issue as his pained eyes meet my own. "... Amy said the vampire was trying to hurt you."

Taking over for her now silent boyfriend, Marcie says what I know everyone has to be thinking. "It's not safe to be around you."

The pair slip out of the van without a promise to come over tomorrow and I know it's for the best. The other three teens whisper back and forth until I drop them all off and I can finally exhale in relief.

"I think quite a few of us would disagree with what Marcie said." Fred's sudden words of support cut through my gloom. "I know it was a lot more dangerous for me without you around and I'm pretty sure Angel would agree."

"Thank you." Somehow I manage to keep my emotions together until we get home, only breaking down completely when we're alone in our room. At least getting more roommates had one benefit.

Yeah the only problem is their eyes have been opened to the war now and they know the front line is everywhere.

The masquerade is lifted.

Ignorance did not protect them it was only an illusion they were already part of the death lotto one day their number would come up.

Is it better to die on your feet or on your knees head burried in the sand?

Besides you don't need to be a front line fighter driving steaks or chopping with axes.

Support roles are just as important if not more so.

Johnathan was prodigy magic user with no formal training yet pulled stuff off Willow couldn't till she went Dark.

I am sure Jessie could fill some role that does not require getting their hands dirty.

Honestly Doyle is so eager to let them live their life he forgets that the enemy doesn't care. Trying to scare them away only hurts them.

Honestly he would be better off doing a red pill blue pill situation.

One pill wipes their memories of anything supernatural they recently experienced allowing them to go back to ignorance while the other could act like a magical tracker/vitals checker.

Yeah the only problem is their eyes have been opened to the war now and they know the front line is everywhere.

The masquerade is lifted.

Ignorance did not protect them it was only an illusion they were already part of the death lotto one day their number would come up.

Is it better to die on your feet or on your knees head burried in the sand?

Besides you don't need to be a front line fighter driving steaks or chopping with axes.

Support roles are just as important if not more so.

Johnathan was prodigy magic user with no formal training yet pulled stuff off Willow couldn't till she went Dark.

I am sure Jessie could fill some role that does not require getting their hands dirty.

Honestly Doyle is so eager to let them live their life he forgets that the enemy doesn't care. Trying to scare them away only hurts them.

Honestly he would be better off doing a red pill blue pill situation.

One pill wipes their memories of anything supernatural they recently experienced allowing them to go back to ignorance while the other could act like a magical tracker/vitals checker.
My reasoning for Jonathon to be the one to speak up, is because he knew stuff was going on in highschool and didn't try helping out the scoobies. He admitted to being one of the ones who ignored the weird stuff during the class protector speech.

So this was him and Marcie saying they don't want to hand out with Doyle anymore because it seems like they're being personally targeted for assoiciating with him. Once they realize all of Sunnydale is still dangerous, they may change their mind.

They say ignorance is Bliss( Ahh shucks) !
Well our Scooby gang is going strong but still feeling thefailure at the loss of Xander boy by master vampire minons, which Jonathan & Marcie weren't completely wrong about the hidden dangers in Sunnydale town and not possibly being safe around teacher Si Doyle, even though the Scooby gang volunteered in the first place as Si Doyle warned/ clarified that this was an somewhat of good vs evil battle with casualties till it became a lot more real after losing Xander Harris in the Vampire ambush by the master.But Fred Burkle is really lucky to avoided 9 yrs in an Hell Pylea dimension thanks to Si Doyle efforts. Although Si Doyle still hasn't quite learned yet you can't save everyone despite your best wishes for the Sunnydale Scooby gang in Sunnydale town ,along Si Doyle ( brooding hero) mode . As Marcie & Jonathan decided to leave the group for now and bury their head in sands again after Xander boy disappearance " Death" by Vampire minion.
We'll see how it goes next time for our Si Doyle with Scooby gang in "Something to Atone For " at the meantime.
Catch ya later
Cheers!

Thinking aabout it. With the way Vampire Xander was....

What if he turns out like Spike did after he was first turned?

He wasn't completely evil he did not enjoy hurting others.

The first thing he did was try to save his dying mother by turning her into a vampire. Not fully understanding what they would do to her.

Only when she came out like a normal crazy evil vampire did he kill her out of guilt and disgust.

Then Angelus and his games forced him to accept his inner demon.

I honestly think what if Vampire Xander still had enough Xander in him that he tries to help the gang in small ways till the master is gone and he can act more openly. Drinks pigs blood or already dying humans to keep his instincts under control and the like.

After all just because they are a vampire doesn't mean they stop feeling love or loyalty or knowing right from wrong. I think the trick is controlling their hunger and new sadistic tendencies.

I from what I seen of the series a lot of vampires act like the do because they don't fully understand What they are and can do and make assumptions based off knowledge they had when alive.

Reminds me of this one Vamp who knew Buffy and could tell she was hurting so before they fought they talked for a few hours.

Chapter 69: Sharing The Burden
Chapter 69: Sharing The Burden

Walking into the kitchen for breakfast makes me freeze in confusion. Dennis is sipping a cup of oil heated up as if it's coffee and Darla has done the same with the sheep blood. But it takes me more than a handful of seconds to recognize Angel with her adjusted look.

My eyes are locked onto now raven black hair before they roam onto the complete lack of colour in her wardrobe. Gone is any of the red that made her fit in with her new friends at the Sunset Club, replaced with a full commitment to the goth look.

It takes me a few seconds to get my mouth in motion and the croaky voice reveals how little sleep I got. "... New look?"

"Can't play pretend anymore." Angel's grim words are accompanied by a face filled with self disgust. "Better if I'm just honest with myself about how terrible the world is." That explains the new style.

I'm not sure exactly what happened to her in the show's timeline. But I know she was supposed to end up a lot happier than this. Just one more person I made things worse for.

"Jonathon and Marcie finally smartened up. I wouldn't blame you for wanting to leave too." Mary would probably let you stay with her.

Of course I just blurt the words out without any real thought and mistake the expression of terror on Angel's face for fear of staying. "You could have gone back to a normal life and I never even asked what you wanted."

"You don't want me to stay?" Buried under miles of my own grief, I miss the very obvious hurt in her voice.

"Not really." I want you to have a long and happy life, something people aren't going to get around me and my stupid ideas.

A gasp escapes Angel as she tries blinking away tears I once again misconstrue as ones of relief. "... Oh."

The only sound in the now deathly quiet kitchen comes when the microwave beeps. Darla ignores our tense mood to retrieve her warmed mug and only says something after draining most of it in a single gulp.

"You do know how that sounded, right?" The vampire's emerald eyes shine with sympathy as they settle on the teen beside her.

Scowling at her, I have no problem hissing out my growing self hatred. "Like I'm a trouble magnet and she's safer anywhere I'm not."

"Uh..." Dennis starts to speak only to hesitate when three sets of intense eyes swivel towards him. "That's not really what I heard."

"It sounded more like you just don't want me around." Voicing her own fears makes me turn to see Angel's tear streaked face.

Guilt surges through me. "Well that's because I don't think before I open my mouth sometimes."

"Really?" The way her voice is shaking clearly shows me this is a make or break moment in our relationship.

"I'm terrified of losing any of you." I know how ironic this sounds. "That's why I don't want you anywhere near me."

A cough behind me is followed by Fred's snort of frustration. "Well that's just stupid. You've given us all plenty of chances to walk away and we keep rejecting them."

"When are you going to let us help?" Angel loses the shakiness in her voice and replaces it with some of Fred's borrowed willpower.

"You're right." As hard as it is to admit it, I need help. "So does anyone have any ideas for dealing with our problem?"

It shocks me when Darla turns out to be the first one with a suggestion. "Whatever you do, better get started before Xander spills everything to the Master. Luke and Colin will be coming after you in force once he spills his guts."

"My plan A was to make a robot blow up in the Master's face..." Glancing over at Dennis guiltily, I make it clear the plan has changed. "But that was before I knew how you worked. Isn't really going to work now."

"What was plan B?" Fred starts loading her plate with french toast that I know is about to be drowned in syrup.

I know she's not going to like my answer and it comes out barely above a squeak. "... Use the lightning gauntlet."

"The one that doesn't ever come off?" She doesn't even look at me when she asks, just lets the disappointed tone do all the work.

Lowering my eyes in shame, I see no reason to keep my plans quiet anymore. "Jenny's already working on that part for me."

"And how's it coming?" Fred finally turns her scowl onto me directly.

Letting out a tired sigh, I reveal the many failures. "... Terribly."

"You need to thin the ranks first, if you're really dumb enough to attack the Master that is." Grim faced but with eyes full of hatred directed at someone besides me, Darla keeps giving out the good ideas. "Best if you start with Fork and then take out the Three. That would leave you with mostly minions in the lair."

She fills us in on the amputee vampire and his current lack of favour before moving on to details of the trio of warriors. Eventually filling us in on Luke and her most likely replacement Colin, Darla seems even more invested in this than I am.

"Once his capable help has been cut off, we can attack right after sunset." Eager to pay back the one truly responsible for her cursed existence, Darla is practically vibrating. "Feeding time is when he has the least protection and your only chance."

"I'll have Willow and Warren help me make some combat modifications to Dennis." Fred's eyes narrow in thought as her mind races with possibilities. "Hope you don't mind plugging your nose."

Not sure what she has planned, I never the less commit to whatever it is. "I'll pick up some swim masks just to be safe."

Once we have the beginnings of a plan, Darla frowns as a stray thought hits her. "Did you warn Xander's parents?"

"Nope." And I really don't plan on it, not with what I know of them.

"What about telling his friends that he would probably come for them as soon as he rises?" Shit!

Worry makes me surge to my feet. "How long does that usually take?"

"Sunset the next day. Which means last night is the earliest the demon could have risen." Her words chill me as I hand Angel the phone, asking her to call Willow to avoid any awkwardness with parents who may or may not be home.

When the phone rings for the first time and I don't hear a voice on the other side, my heart starts to plummet. It picks up speed when the second ring is just as unanswered. But it turns into a skydive when the third ring sounds.​

OH My God the parents are already Dead ( chilling) Ending at the of the Chapter!
As our resident Si Doyle was still feeling the frayed edges of the Scooby gang 's Jonathan and Marcie leaving for now, but completely misunderstood Angel possibly leaving (as She claimed she wasn't going) and Si Doyle somewhat prompted his plan on how to destroy the master vampire by blowing up Ted's body and using Gwen Post Lighting glove .( even though Darla and Dennis(John Ritter)drinking coffee was very picturesque at the house) aside from girlfriend Fred Burkle& Angel ( she stopnpretending) wasn't having a moping Si Doyle around after knocking some into him.
Meantime, bff ensouled vampire Darla brusquely offers chilling commentary on master vampire m.o standard practices for going against ( thinning the ranks and feeding time is most likely a vulnerable time to kill him).
Unfortunately Si Doyle, Fred, Angel Darla, Dennis to Xander boys ( not sure parents) was too little too late by the third ring ,which by estimate was Si Doyle 's razor edge of nearly tore him up and possibly going on to rage mode against the overwhelming might Master vampire ( he knows that this isn't the worst thing to come officially in Sunnydale town yet) . By his worst fears confirmed at the end of the Chapter.
We'll see how it goes next time for our Si Doyle and Scooby gang in" Something to Atone For" at the meantime.
Catch ya later
Cheers!

P.S. So this what ensouled Vampire Darla looks like on the good side, when not a complete 2 dimensional villain on Buffy and Angel series ( her somewhat wiped brief human experience stint by Connor ). If this wasn't Si Doyle Buffyverse fanon cannon and ensouled Darla could have her own spinoff fic for herself ( as switching between redemptive Darla and ex killer master lieutenant anti heroine with her recent new life in Something to Atone For, in my general opinion.)

Chapter 70: Conversation With A Dead Person
Chapter 70: Conversation With A Dead Person

The fourth ring is ended halfway through and a familiar voice greets Angel's hello. But it's not Willow or even one of her parents who answers.

Vampire Xander's cocky good morning has me shaking with anxiety. What did he do to Willow!

"Can you put your brother on?" He dismisses all of Angel's questions with a single one of his own. "I really think it's best if I talk to someone who matters and we both know that's not you."

"Ignore him." Grabbing the phone from her shocked fingers, I growl my response to the demon I'm just going to think of as Vander in my head from now on. Save me a lot of time.

"Before you freak out..." The smug voice starts off as soon as he can hear me breathing. "Willow's fine, if a lot stupider than I ever thought she was. She let me inside after promising Jenny had figured something out with the curse and just never told you."

The phone gets pressed against a chest with a still beating heart as proof someone is alive on the other end. The frantic pace lets me know it's not a willing person and my fists tighten.

"We had a wonderful night together..." Dread fills me at the implication and Vander revels in it before eventually deciding to clarify. "Told her exactly what I did to my parents while you lot ran around Restfield. Didn't think she'd puke so fast." He snorts darkly. "Barely had time to get the gag off before she choked."

"What do you want?" Not wanting to hear anymore, I growl into the phone with a promise of pain.

He hums softly in thought and makes me wait for his demands. "What anyone wants. The right to exist."

"Not really making that more likely right now." If anything happens to Willow, I'll tear your head off with my bare hands.

"I just needed to make sure you listened to me." The mockery is gone from Vander's tone and I can detect a hint of desperation.

He can't hurt Willow as long as I keep him talking. "Have something important to say? Because I'm all ears."

Ted and Fred are already gearing up and they slip out the front door while Vander reveals his true plan. "You can see the future and shove souls in vampires. I'm not dumb enough to go against that kind of power unless you make me."

"I know you can't curse me unless I make it personal, so this is me letting you know that I could have." The words are delivered without any audible threat and just come out as pure facts.

"Message received." I feel the plastic crack in grip as I try to control my temper. "Now let Willow go."

A few dark chuckles greet my demand. "That all depends on if you're too stubborn to make a deal with little old Lex."

"What kind of deal?" Against my better judgment I ask for details.

"You want the Master gone and I really don't like following orders!" Sudden rage fills Vander's voice and I have to pull the phone away from my ear while he yells. "I get you to him and you let me take over."

"Not going to just let you prey on whoever you want." That's non negotiable.

A snort is his first response, quickly followed by smug words that seem to have an answer for everything. "I know a place full of willing donors who would just love to ease my newfound loneliness."

"Why would I agree to what is obviously a trap?" I let out a snort of derision. "Luke and Colin going to be waiting for us with the Three?"

"Luke's missing and the Master thinks you're responsible," chuckles Vander with a hint of his own curiosity. "Are you?"

"Don't usually ask your kind for a name before I take them out." Still thrown off by his strange cordiality, my response lacks it's usual wit and I settle for another crude threat. Who could have taken out that massive thug?

He doesn't get mad and lets out another amused laugh. "You don't have to worry about Colin either. I took care of him when he tried to make me kneel."

"So it's just Nest and the Three..." That doesn't actually sound impossible.

"Don't forget about forty minions." The reminder finally makes me smirk.

Darla's information fills me with confidence and I share it with Vander. "Got that part covered already."

"I'll help Darla and Dennis take care of the Three Stooges." The offer almost makes me drop the phone in shock. "I mean if you actually think you can take care of the Master by yourself that is."

"Let me talk to Willow first." I can't decide until I know that's her heartbeat.

"Fine," Vander growls out in response and I can hear him struggling with something on the other end. "Just make it quick."

"Doyle!" Dropping the mister for the first time, Willow's voice isn't as scared as I feared. Doesn't sound like she's hurt either.

"Are you alright Willow?"

She thankfully soothes my greatest fears with her answer. "He didn't do anything to hurt me, just wanted to talk about his plans."

"What kind of plans?" Fred and Dennis should be about halfway to her house by now, just need to keep Willow talking a bit longer.

The phone changes hands after a very brief struggle and Vander's growl answers me once more. "Enough questions, I need an answer before I have to hurt whoever you sent here."

"You betray us and-" My warning gets cut off.

Vander proves that skull indeed has brain cells that he just chose to use on jokes most of the time. "And one of the witches will probably hate me enough to cast that curse."

He knows me too well. "... If I say yes?"

"I let Willow leave with the ride you sent." The vampire's tone is light enough that it almost hides the menace.

"And if I say no?" What's the worst case scenario here?

"I turn Willow and kill whoever gets out of the car." His voice doesn't raise or even sound any crueller. "Call one of the other minions and tell them to care of Jenny and Amy before they have a chance to do any magic. Then try and kill you before you get a vision."

The matter of fact way he lays out his plan is more chilling than if it was screamed with hatred and it's what makes me agree. "Okay."​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back