• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Speaker of the Forest (digimon)

Created at
Index progress
Hiatus
Watchers
Recent readers

__

As I write these words, I can hear the cries growing stronger. The walls have fallen, and...

Talos

Know what you're doing yet?
__

As I write these words, I can hear the cries growing stronger. The walls have fallen, and the inner chambers are now besieged. The sounds of battle carry through every hall, and this blighted place runs with the blood of our kind once more.

I do not have much time. Even now, the enemy is getting closer, and my power is sorely needed on the frontlines. I have taken a few moments to compose this, most probably the last letter you shall ever receive from me. I will try to keep this short, the Woodmon battle bravely, and I cannot leave them to their fate, even if the only other option is for me to share it.

I am writing this to say goodbye, but more than that, to give you warning and a mission. I know, I know, you owe me nothing and would be entirely within your right to refuse this last wish, but please at least read the rest of this document before you make up your mind.

The threat comes from the North, from the city there. It is a hive of machinery and home to many Guardromon, but their leader, Datamon has long harboured a desire to control our lands. I was foolish in that I wished for peace, but it is clear to me now that such was never possible. The fact of the matter is that this temple houses several artifacts that are more or less one of a kind. Things that were given to us in keeping, when the last group that ruled here was destroyed. Since then, those artifacts have been passed down through the line of the temple's guardians, until it reached myself. I vowed, as all who came before me did, that I would die before allowing these things to fall into the wrong hands, and I fear Datamon is exactly who I was warned about.

But I am getting ahead of myself. You are doubtless wondering just what this has to do with you, or what objects I am even talking about. Long ago, an entirely different group used to rule this land we now live on. I don't have time to go into their history, suffice it to say that they were akin to the Olympus Twelve, or the Royal Knight. Powerful beyond imagining, and yet they fell as all must do eventually. When they did, their cities came crashing to the ground and fires consumed most of their land.

There were a few survivors, and one of them was able to gather several objects of power within the wreckage, and then he fled. Pursued by the forces who had caused the great downfall. Into the forest, he ran and there he was ambushed by Woodmon, as we are want to do. He made a deal, or called up some old oath or perhaps promised power, all we know is that they hid him, and promised to do so for all the items he had gathered.

They formed a temple, dedicated to an ancient power, and buried the three objects deeply within the earth. There it was hoped that no one would ever find them, but I fear that time has come and gone. Datamon desires the power of these items, and I do not think I can deny him now. My strength is nearly gone, I am old, and have not long left. Though I will fight...I cannot say I expect a victory.

Now listen, when you two were born, I knew that you were each destined for special things. The truth is that your kind is rare, and two born from one egg rarer yet. So I have kept you here, and trained you as best I could. It was not always easy, and we did not always get along, but at least believe that I have good intentions. I was never a father to you, but I watched the two of you grow, and I was proud. When I heard the first rumblings of conflict, I sent the two of you away and by the time you return, it'll be over. The temple will be empty, and the warrior order will be destroyed.

This letter will be hidden, and hopefully should find you easily enough. The artifacts are powerful and ancient, and should not fall into the hands of the evil at heart. I pray to you that you two find the strength to challenge Datamon where I failed. I know this must seem an impossible task, you are young and not yet even of the champion level, but I believe in you and I know the power that slumbers within you both. I believe the two of you will save the items, and maybe even the world itself.

I must go now. I hear them at the door. They think they have won, well I still have some surprises left. I may be old, but this Cherrymon is not about to lay down for the axe.

To end this, I must say how proud I am of you both. Whether you decide to take up this quest or not, I was privileged to see you grow. So long, my students.

__

Lopmon slowly put down the charred letter. The chocolate coloured Digimon was at a loss, it was like a nightmare to her. She had only been away for a few days, but to think that Master Cherrymon had known this might happen. It was almost too much. All the friends that she would never see again...

The temple's tunnels were charred black now. Cracks and craters marred what had set in perfection for hundreds of years. She felt almost empty, as she sank to the ground, her long ears getting under her feet. For once she didn't even notice.

What is it sis?" Her brother. His white fur in contrast to her brown. Like her, Terriermon was a small Digimon, and his ears hung down to his feet except for when he was using them to moves something, or to listen in – which he often did. His usually jovial voice was a shade of itself at the moment, and had been since he had seen the state of the temple, of their home. What does it say?"

Wordlessly, she tossed the piece of paper, and he caught it. His eyes scanned over the words, and she saw him blanch.

He knew this was coming! Why didn't he warn us?" Terriermon growled.

He did...." Lopmon said, her voice was tiny compared to her brother's. She was still lost in thought. That's why he sent us away, remember? He didn't want us involved if a fight broke out.

Why not everyone then?" Terriermon's voice rose. Why not just leave with these stupid pieces of junk? Then no one has to die!"

"It was his duty." Lopmon sniffed. He swore to defend the temple, and so did all the Woodmon. They decided they'd rather stand and die than run and be cowards."

"There's a difference between cowardice and being smart." Terriermon said. "Rebuild somewhere else! As long as you survive, you can come back and try again. Why the hell would he pull something like that?"

As she often did, Lopmon felt the very faintest edge of a concept in her mind. She wanted to say that Terriermon had got it wrong, that it wasn't because they were afraid of being scared, but because their duty was so important to them, like they had been compelled to stay because of it. It wasn't that they hadn't wanted to leave, but because it hadn't even occurred to them they could. It was because...because...

Here the thought trailed, and she experienced the familiar feeling of being adrift in her own mind. She couldn't speak up, not without knowing why. She'd look foolish and she didn't want that. Especially not now. Terriermon was always acting like he had to look out for her, if she seemed like she was off it'd only get worse.

But then... she'd never been alone like this before either. Without the Woodmon, or Master Cherrymon who had always been so nice even if Terriermon didn't like him. He had always had time for her, and talked to her about her dreams. That such a kind old Digimon had been killed because he had something that Datamon wanted. It made her so angry...

Something stirred in her, that same old feeling of almost but not quite grasping a meaning. She frowned, and her brother noticed.

What you're not actually thinking of getting those things back are ya? I mean, its suicide! Datamon's an ultimate, how would we ever beat him?"

"Maybe we don't have to..." She mused. "We're small, we can sneak in... steal them..."

"Wow now, is this my little sister who wouldn't even break the law to save her life?" It was a weak joke considering what had happened, but it showed that he was still himself. Reliable, even if most of that came from his tendency towards bad jokes.

"I think we should go after the items." She said. "It was what Cherrymon wanted."

"Pffh, Cherrymon." Terriermon said. "As far as I'm concerned that guy can go rot in a grave somewhere."

"Well then maybe I'll just do it on my own!" Lopmon snarled, and left the room before her brother could even react.

Terriermon stood alone, one hand going to the back of his head. "Ah geez, I said something stupid again didn't I?"

-

Choose your character!

[] Terriermon.

Terriermon is a determined but loveable Digimon who was raised in the care of Cherrmon. He never got along with the old master, and constantly struggled to see more of the world. The attack on the temple was a mixed blessing for him. Now, he is able to travel freely and do as he wills, but his loyalty to his sister prevents him from following up on that goal. In an ironic twist, fate has made him the protector he was already being trained to be.

Terriermon is an excellent tracker, his ears are by far the most sensitive of anyone in the forest, challenged only by his sister. His sense of smell is superior as well. His personality is an affable one, he gets along well with people but can be obnoxious at times and he still has much to learn about his chosen role.

[] Lopmon

Lopmon is the female sibling, and the younger (Though only by a few seconds.) Just as Terriermon was undergoing reluctant training to be a protector of the temple, Lopmon was being taught the art of diplomacy and communication. Her tracking abilities have atrophied a bit due to long hours in doors, but she still boasts of considerable talent in that direction.

Lopmon is more insular than her brother; though cheerful she refrains from jokes or good natured prods and prefers to be on her own more. She likes to read and to learn, and a strange dream she has had since she was first hatched had taught her that there is more to the power of magic than her brother's dismissive opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Who Speaks for the Beasts? (Digimon)

Lopmon.

[X] Terriermon.

What's wrong with Terriermon's head? He seems to have some part of his cognitive ability missing, or is that just me?

Silver W. King said:
[X] Terriermon.

What's wrong with Terriermon's head? He seems to have some part of his cognitive ability missing, or is that just me?
Naw Terriermon has always been like that.

[X]Lopmon

[X] Lopmon

Terriermon is a brilliant dumbass, and usually the social manipulator...

Lopmon is the warrior scholar, the quiet sweet one... who lops off your head in the name of (insert name here)

Eh both of them have pretty linear evolution trees.

Carrnage said:
Eh both of them have pretty linear evolution trees.

As usual, I'll be playing a bit fast and loose with their lines. Strictly speaking, their ''natural'' evolutions will be the easiest, but there is no reason one of them cannot become a different beast Digimon.

Terriermon is easier for this purpose than Lopmon is. She is rather locked in at the moment. You can undo it, but that requires a horrible thing called character development.

Talos said:
She is rather locked in at the moment. You can undo it, but that requires a horrible thing called character development.
You sick bastard.

The temple grounds were charred and burned where the machines had broken through the outer walls. Stone as ancient as time itself had been shattered, and gardens kept meticulous since as long as you could remember were now thrown into chaotic disarray.

Soft soil had been trembled and strewn across the old stone walkway. Crops, now drooping in the early sun, were scattered here and there where they had been dropped when the attack started. The ancient walls which had enclosed the garden and the grounds were now broken in several places, and blackened in even more. There was no bodies or blood, and for that you were at least thankful. If you had had to see someone you had known laying motionless and stiff, you didn't know if you would have been able to take it.

As it was, the whole thing still seemed like some kind of ghastly nightmare. Terriermon's words echoed in your head. This was impossible, it would be crazy to even try. Datamon's city was miles at the very edge of the forest, and even if you made it there what then? You had never been to the city, or indeed, any city at all. You tried to picture it in your mind, but all you could think of was gleaming metal as far as you could see. Like an ant's nest, twisting roads and vast, looming buildings. An alien environment where you would be helpless and Datamon and his soldiers would have every advantage.

After all, look what he had done to your old, familiar home. The walls that had seemed so safe, and so impressive were now broken ruins; the building you had grown up in, the ancient stone slabs which had been like friends to you, now lay open, the doors ripped from the hinges, and the walls blackened with fire. As for the monks who had lived there? Not a single one had survived. Not a single one of your friends, your teachers... everyone you had ever known was dead.

You stopped. The weight of it finally hit you. Everyone was dead. It was like a sudden turn had taken you from the stone path, and the ground had vanished from beneath your feet. You were falling into a great, deep pit and you didn't know what to do.

Cherrymon? He'd walked with you nearly every days. Never angry, even when you had done wrong, but gentle and cheerful and always there. He'd been so old he'd had to use a walking stick, am tree with a walking stick, Terriermon had laughed about that all the time, but you thought it made him look distinguished. Like he had lived so long and seen so many things.

Now he was gone, and the world was a bit more empty.

You sank to your knees. It wasn't really slowly, but then, there wasn't very far to go either. You felt wet tears running down your cheeks. Your whole world was over, everyone you knew was gone. There was nothing left at all...

You never knew how long you lay there. You didn't sob, somehow you didn't even have the strength for that; but the tears ran from your face nevertheless. Consumed by thoughts of gentle words, smiling faces. Faces you would never again know.

Eventually, you stopped crying. Not because you had stopped feeling, but rather because you didn't have anymore tears. You were still alone, and the sun was now beginning to dip below the horizon. Crimson clouds spread out through the sky, like warm ashes scattering in the wind.

You stood up then, and took a look back at your ravaged home.

What do I do now? Every moment of your life, you had known what to do. Learn, study, sleep, grow. But now? Now the world opened up, like a horrible void before your feet. You had nothing,

"Sis?" A voice, from the corridor leading to the gardens. Your brother was coming out from the shadows even as you hurridly dried your eyes. He spotted of course, but didn't mention it. He shifted a bit as he walked towards. "um, I've been thinking and.... I know how much you liked this place, and I'm sorry."

It seemed hollow. What good was ''sorry''? What good was it against this aching void? Like a sole sponge tossed into the sea. You just shook your head, not trusting yourself to talk.

You looked back to the sky. The red was spreading as the sun got lower and lower. As though in memorial of what had happened here. You couldn't remember the last time you had seen such a beautiful sunset, but the sight brought only a dull ache of loneliness.

"Cherrymon used to say that the sunset is the meeting between sky and earth."

You turned. Eyes met your brother's, who did a sort of half-flinch.

"Heh, just 'cus I didn't like the guy doesn't mean I didn't listen to him. I mean, it was impossible not to considering how he just droned on and on and on and I'm getting distracted aga-hey!"

The shout was made when you lunged for him. Wrapping your brother up in your arms as you felt the tears stream down your face again. He'd never known what to do when you were upset, but you felt an awkward patting on your back.

"They're gone..." You sobbed. "Everyone is gone."

"I know." Terriermon could find no other words. "But we'll get those items back. It's not the same as them being here, but..."

"It was his last wish." You managed through tears. Feeling the warmth of your brother so close was like seeing the whole thing all over again. You clung to him, and felt great sobs tear from your throat. "I don't know how we can do it. You were r-right. We can't do it."

"No." He said. "We'll do it. I don't know how just yet, and you know I'm not one for planning, but I figure that with your smarts and my lovable charm we'll be able to dream something up."

His words were like the dawn of new strength. You felt the tears slow, though they wouldn't stop, and you looked up at him. "Do you mean that? Will you come with me to do it?"

"Of course, do you think I'd leave my only sister to do something like that by herself? I promise I'll never leave you."

You closed your eyes, and felt the world around you fade, but his words echoed in your mind.

"I'll never leave you."

_

It is the next day and you are preparing to set out on your quest. Before you go, you'll need to plan out what you intend to do for the next leg of the journey. Each of the following events will take one day of time, and you can stack but the longer you take, the more things will begin to work to Datamon's advantage.

What did you do to prepare for the trip?

[] You wanted to cleanse the temple. It was a simple ritual that Cherrymon had taught you, but it would take some time to complete, it was meant to calm restless spirits.

[] You would need supplies; it was a day long trek to the nearest village that would trade food and drink.

[] You wanted to search the ruins. You didn't know what you might find.

[] Write In.

So apparently it is now mandatory in my Digimon quests that the protagonist has to lose their entire family to some kind of attack, spurring them on to action.

Lopmon and Myotismon can form a club!

It would have been the Orphan Club if Ophanimon stayed dead.

croaker said:
It would have been the Orphan Club if Ophanimon stayed dead.

But Croaker, didn't you know? No one stays dead in Digimon!*

Everyone gets better!*

*Except Leomon.

*Except Leomon

Anyone willing to cast their vote yet? I was hoping to get another update done today.

[X] You wanted to search the ruins. You didn't know what you might find.

[X] You wanted to cleanse the temple. It was a simple ritual that Cherrymon had taught you, but it would take some time to complete, it was meant to calm restless spirits.

Talos said:
But Croaker, didn't you know? No one stays dead in Digimon!*

Everyone gets better!*

*Except Leomon.

*Except Leomon

Hmmm.... I wonder when the sacrificial Leomon is supposed to show up...

Also, what quadrant is this? (Xi prefers the south because Digimon actually STAY dead there.)

[X] You wanted to cleanse the temple. It was a simple ritual that Cherrymon had taught you, but it would take some time to complete, it was meant to calm restless spirits.

Xicree said:
Hmmm.... I wonder when the sacrificial Leomon is supposed to show up...

Also, what quadrant is this? (Xi prefers the south because Digimon actually STAY dead there.)

Your current location is somewhat unclear, quadrant wise. You've never been anywhere else.

The next day was spent in silence. Digging through the ashen ruins of your past life did not leave you in much mood to speak, and Terriermon had gone down to the nearest village to get supplies. It was a trek of about a day, and for once you were glad of his absence. You loved him as a brother, but he talked and talked and talked.

Right now, you didn't want to talk. You just wanted to work; throwing yourself into it with a wild abandon. The machines had known what they came for, and so the damage had been somewhat mild – the walls had been smashed, the corridor leading to Cherrymon more or less destroyed. The side passages and guest rooms remained mostly undamaged, and it was these that you searched through in your quest to find something, anything that might help you in the task to come.

Money of course would be important, the cities beyond the forest relied on various types of coins and trinkets to represent their valuables. Within the tree border, trade was done mostly in goods but you knew that Cherrymon had dealings with the outside, so he must have had some way to pay them.

Your hunch turned out to be correct; hidden in one of the out of the way rooms on the far side of the building, you found a metal safe hidden in a secret portal. Once exposed, it clashed horribly against the stone of the wall, so you knew something important was kept inside. Luckily, thouh you didn't know the combination to open it, you did manage to force it with (quite a lot of) power, and so you managed to blow the lid off it, and claim the prize within.

It was... meagre.

Some coins, a few gold that looked valuable enough, and the rest was mostly bronze. You took them anyway, as you would need all the help that you could get, but you still didn't think you had found anything.

By the time that you had searched most of the temple, you were getting tired and misery creeping up on you. No wonder, seeing as how you had been going through the belongings of dead friends. You were standing outside the blasted door of the one place you did not want to be, but you had searched everywhere else and logic told you this was where you would find what you needed.

Still, you paused. As though held back by an invisible wall. Logic said it didn't matter, that he was dead anyway and wouldn't care, but instinct said otherwise. Cherrymon, the one who had raised you. It was like grave-robbing, and even the thought of it made you feel sick.

Maybe it was because just being here would remind you of him, or maybe because even now you didn't really want to believe that he was dead.

He wouldn't be mad. You told yourself. He'd understand exactly what you needed to do. He'd tell you to.

Still, you could not advance. Your legs were jelly, your stomach iron. It was lucky that the door had been blown in during the attack, because as you were now, if you had been presented with that extra blockage you doubted you'd be able to muster the will to pass.

With an effort of supreme will, you forced one foot forwards, then another. The room was blackened, scorched. It had been the scene of the final battle, and you could almost see how it had played out.

Cherrymon had stood in the centre, leaning on his stick as the door was blown in. Before the smoke had cleared, he would have attacked – you sparred with him every now and then, and knew he was like lightning when he wanted to be. His Cherry Blast would have easily hit everyone constrained by the doorway – you could see where they had fallen, as well as the damage to the door itself. The faint smell of fruit still lingered there, almost but not quite obliterated by the scents of smoke and battle.

However, the machine soldiers would have been heavily armoured. More so than you ever were during the rare spars, so you doubted they would have been too badly damaged. After that, it would only be a matter of getting enough of themselves through the door to overwhelm him.

The room bore witness to just such a conflict; the bookshelves had been knocked over, the table destroyed. The window had been obliterated and scattered about the ground, you could see tiny scraps of parchment. Writings that had not quite escaped as the books did.

A few morose titles caught your eye as you passed. Things with names like ''The Inherent Disharmony of the Celestial Three'' or ''Oath and Shield: The History of the Royal Knights''. Cherrymon had lived for books and papers of all kinds, hoarding anything that might ever be useful.

So it was, with tears in your eyes, you ransacked your mentor's home. It seemed like nothing had escaped the rage of the machines – books, money, rolls of parchment, all had been either caught in the fight or destroyed afterwards.

The last thing you did was to check the secret chamber which had held the items. The path there was easy to see – it was where the machines had directed most of their forces, and the further you want the more signs of the battle you found. Here, a cracked wall where a wooden body had struck with great force. There, a barricade, strewn and abandoned, where someone had made their final stand.

At last, you came to the room itself. There, you found the only part of the temple to which you had never been. It was a cavernous room, the walls lined with stone. A dais had been raised in the centre, divided into three sections. All three were empty, of course, and you had not expected otherwise but you did discover something worth knowing.

Two of the sections were fresh, the outline of something still clear in the dust, but one of them looked different. As though whatever it had held had been move years ago, the dust there remained untouched even as the rest of the room had burned.

You didn't know what to make of this.

You went to bed in your own room --- a small chamber off the side of the main hall, which had somehow managed to avoid the chaos, and slept soundly. You had feared dreams, but it seemed that you were simply too tired to have them. The whole night, you slept and at the crack of dawn rose again.

You decided to meet Terriermon on his return to the temple, knowing that he would be nearly back by now. The fact that you didn't feel like you could stand much more of the temple's sorry reminders factored largely into the choice.

Outside, it was brisk. The new sun had not yet warmed the day, and insects and birds filled the sky with their chirps. Their feeding was a sign that lifted your spirits a bit – as though even though the temple was dead, life went on somewhere in the forest. Life from death. Cherrymon would have liked that idea...

Suddenly, the swarm of birds scattered. Disturbed by something. You looked to where they had been --- it couldn't have been Terriermon, they were well used to him by now. Keen eyes scanned the forest, and then you found him.

He, or it, you weren't sure which, was a Digimon you had never seen before. Thoughts that it might be one of the returning machines were quickly forgotten. It was no machine.

It stood as tall as the trees, it's vast hand resting on an oak. It was bipedal, and wiry fur covered it's body. It's hands were massive, and strong, two spikes emerged from its shoulders. It's head was topped with a skull cap, and it's eyes glittered crimson.

You met it's gaze, and terror seized you. It was big as a tree! It's fur was short, and you could see the ripple of muscles beneath its skin. It's ears were pale green, and hung floppily by it's head (Not that you were one to talk of that, of course.)

The worst part? You couldn't smell or or hear it. It was like it wasn't even there, except that you could see it, and the tree it leaned on was creaking slowly. For someone like you, who could usually smell people long before you caught sight of them, this was terrifying.

It clenched a fist,and the tree exploded. Bark and shards ripped outwards with no sign of pain or fear from the creature. As the splinters settled, the monster took a step forwards beyond the tree line.

You stepped back in fear. What was it? What did it mean to do?

Then it gestured. One hand.

Come here.

It turned and stalked back into the forest.

What did you do?

[] Follow! It might want to show us something!

[]Let's not follow a monster we're not even sure is properly there.

[] Write In.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back