• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Spirit Quest

Created at
Index progress
Hiatus
Watchers
Recent readers

You have Awoken. For now, you are a lowly Spark, but one day, you may become a God.

The first...

LordOfPie

(Verified Great Old One)
You have Awoken. For now, you are a lowly Spark, but one day, you may become a God.

The first thing you notice are the hundreds of fellow sparks flitting about the surroundings. You notice some of the Brighter ones feasting on the Dimmer ones. You are in a lowly populated area, and you are the Brightest one nearby.

[ ] Try to eat the weaker ones. Path of Destruction

[ ] Maybe you can threaten them to work with you? Path of Domination

[ ] Maybe you can befriend them...? Path of Jolly Cooperation!

[ ] Write In Path of ???

Yeah. When you consume another Spark, 50% of its power goes to you, while the rest dissipates, though efficiency can be improved later.

Type: Spark
Traits: Connected (2)
Abilities: Forge Connection, Mana Bolt, Harden
Bio: A newborn spirit, which has forged a connection between two of its fellows. It has yet to develop much in the way of intelligence, but it has a long way to go.

Last edited:
[X] Try to convince the sparks to join with you into a gestalt being. Not one, not many. But both. Path of Unity

Hmm, lets see, how to explain this. A machine can be built of many other machines, each part is an entirely separate machine that can function on its own. However when you put them all together they form an entirely new machine. The smaller machines all still exist, they still all do their own thing. But the larger machine acts as a single unit non-the-less.

Together aren't just one machine, nor are they just a bunch of machines. They are both.

Or you could watch a few Steven Universe and the Gems episodes. They provide a pretty good example of gestalt beings working with the gem fusion thing they do.

I am a big fan of that series.

Here is a great music video that shows the power of fusion:

I hope that we can eventually create a similar character.

[X] Try to convince the sparks to join with you into a gestalt being. Not one, not many. But both. Path of Unity

Hmm, lets see, how to explain this. A machine can be built of many other machines, each part is an entirely separate machine that can function on its own. However when you put them all together they form an entirely new machine. The smaller machines all still exist, they still all do their own thing. But the larger machine acts as a single unit non-the-less.

Together aren't just one machine, nor are they just a bunch of machines. They are both.

Or you could watch a few Steven Universe and the Gems episodes. They provide a pretty good example of gestalt beings working with the gem fusion thing they do.

Ahh, I was confused because "both" usually implies two.
Both is the suppletive variant of "all two", which is not grammatical English.
So the equivalent of both, for n>2, is All n: all three, all four, all seventy-three of them.
So a better word would be all.

A collection can be regarded as a single thing in that case. The sparks in that case as one subject, and you as the other.

'I was not single being, nor was I multiple beings, I was both at the same time. ' Works perfectly well.

A collection can be regarded as a single thing in that case. The sparks in that case as one subject, and you as the other.

'I was not single being, nor was I multiple beings, I was both at the same time. ' Works perfectly well.
Yeah, I get that now. But it seemed strange at first.

[X] Try to convince the sparks to join with you into a gestalt being. Not one, not many. But both.

Last edited:
[X] Maybe you can befriend them...? [!]Path of Jolly Cooperation![/!]

So no-one foresees any possible issues with having the very first action being turning into a hybrid being and sacrificing some of ourselves? Because I have no idea how they run quests but that has the potential to screw us over forever, forcing us towards or away from certain actions because we only have as much control over the gestalt as the starting spirit has. I mean it could be interesting but having the winning vote pit against many other in-game votes on action isn't the course I'd prefer, I'd go with it as it could be interesting as said but I'd rather not deal with the complications it causes.

Locked, Attempt Gestalt it is. Somebody roll a d6 and a d20. Preferably using Rolz.

Last edited:
Done, I think I got Rolz and the room is here. Results were 2 for the d6 and 5 for the d20.

Time to fail it seems.

Those rolls are actually probably a good thing. The d6 was for how many of the other spirits you could convince to join with you, and the d20 was for how closely connected you end up. If either (or both) had been too high, you would have lost a lot of control over your actions. As it is, you have a small connection with two other spirits that could grow if you wish. Writing in 3... 2... 1...

So we got good on the self control scale but horrible rolls in terms of power gained? Interesting, well that mitigates the issue I saw as the big one with the plan at least, at the cost of making a bit of a failure at actually gaining strength.

You have an odd idea; you communicate with the nearby Sparks, asking them to become as one with you. It takes a while of confusion before they realize you aren't just declaring your intention to devour them, and even then, most are wary. Two brave and/or foolish sparks take you up on your offer, however.

You begin to forge the connection. Slender tendrils of the Source flow out from you and the Others, meeting at a single point between, where an orb of light forms. Suddenly, you/them are able to sense each other in vast detail, deeper than any you've been able to in your short life... yet something is missing. You can feel the connection, sense the others, and their intentions, but there is something more, just under the surface.

You are alarmed as some of your Light is drained and distributed to the Others, but calm once it stops, and you find it has left you all at equal power. You learn of the capabilities of the Others. One is able to extend a shocking tendril of the Source, expending its own power to damage other beings. The other can harden its outer shell, lessening its mobility but making it much more resistant to attacks. You assimilate these abilities into yourself, a process which takes mere moments.

Abilities Gained: Forge Connection (Extend a piece of yourself to another Spirit, allowing you to share in its strength), Mana Bolt (A weak attack that converts Power into raw destructive energy), Harden (Create a solid shell around your Essence)

Trait Gained: Connected (2): You have two allies, who think for themselves. Anything that harms you, harms them, and vice versa. You will always protect each other out of necessity if nothing else, and you can share in any discoveries you make.

As you finish forging the connection, you see an alarming sight. A very bright Spark is headed your way, slightly stronger than the three of you combined. With the increased senses of three Sparks together, you can feel hostile intent. Behind you is an area full of large, immobile creatures that convert sunlight to Power. You sense weaker hostile presences in the... Forest, is the word.

[ ] Face the predator. You will not back down!

[ ] Retreat into the forest. The beings in there feel much weaker, if more abundant.

[ ] Write In

Adding a Char Sheet to the first post.

[X] Face the predator. You will not back down!
-[X] You have a shield, and you have a lance. All of you together can face this creature and win.
-[X] Let it spend its strength on your shield, and when it is fully committed strike at the core of its power.
--[X] Harry from multiple angles.

Last edited:
[X] Retreat into the forest. The beings in there feel much weaker, if more abundant.

Why risk fighting big scary thing? Retreat to where there aren't lots of big scary sparks and then figure out what to do.

[X] Retreat into the forest. The beings in there feel much weaker, if more abundant.

-[X] You have a shield, and you have a lance. All of you together can face this creature and win.
-[X] Let it spend its strength on your shield, and when it is fully committed strike at the core of its power.

Voting will be locked in 1 hour and 49 minutes.

--[X] Have one of us three pretend to be weaker so that the predator goes after that one if we need to lure it into a weak position

Voting was supposed to be locked, but I passed out at some point. Now it is locked. Update incoming sometime after I flush the blood out of my caffeine system.

Last edited:
Sorry for late update.

You ready your combat abilities, and watch as the hostile being does the same. A concusssive blast moves with surprising speed as its wielder moves closer, fortunately missing you. Just as it moves into range, you hit it with several Mana Bolts in quick succession.

Its Light wanes slightly, pushing it slightly below your power. You call up Harden just in time for one of its blasts to hit you, greatly mitigating its damage. Coupled with the fact that it only technically hit a third of you, it didn't do nearly as much damage as it could have.

That isn't to say it hadn't hurt. It felt like a white-hot lance of pain through your soul. You did your best to ignore it, and continued to assault the predator. It Dimmed quickly under your barrage, until it was just weak enough for you to ccomfortably consume it. When you do so, you take note of the discomfort of the Spark which had originally possessed Harden, and the pleasure of the one which had Mana Bolt.

You have Grown enough to pass some kind of threshold, and have a vision:

[ ] A ghostly flame burning through souls just as easily as a more mundane fire would through parchment.

[ ] A crystalline dagger piercing through the heart of an Ancient Wyrm, draining the Eldritch energies within.

[ ] A shadow cast on reality itself, darker than a moonless night.

[ ] A pillar of light, simultaneously striking down enemies as it heals allies.

[ ] A rose brimming with life, sprouting from bloodsoaked ground.

[ ] An idealized human form, glowing with a soft silver light.

[ ] A fierce white wolf, ivory fur stained with the blood of thousands.

[ ] Write In

Updates will be short until you, and consequently your actions, become more complex.

[X] An idealized human form, glowing with a soft silver light.

I have no idea what most of those are but whatever, seems interesting.

[X] A fierce white wolf, ivory fur stained with the blood of thousands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back