• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Star Wars! Spoilers Allowed So Beware!

Here's my two cents about it
It was a visually and auditorily amazing movie but it had a few issues.

The biggest was that it tried waaaaaay too hard to be Star Wars. If it had gone off on a more original plot it would've been my guaranteed best movie of the last 5 years.

Also Jesus fuck Abrams subtlety is not your strong suit what with that giant Hitler metaphor.

Also the actress that played Ray is 23 which makes me feel better since in the movie she looks 16. So... go ahead QQ if you want?

One of my favorite bits was Rey's lightsaber wielding. She uses it differently to just about everyone we've seen and it makes sense considering she is well accustomed to the staff/spear.

Not so much with Fin but considering the shock mace thing maybe Stormtroopers are just well rounded. Even the janitors which is a thing I mildly dislike about Fin

Didn't like Fo but that's just because I am fucking sick of snark.

Had Solo's death spoiled in chat on a public Ark server but it made sense considering that if they didn't people would've bitched about Han not taking the stage.

Mark could do an even Greater Joker than ever before,

I rather liked it.

While Ray is obviously strong in the force, Fin also seems to be at least strongly force sensitive and potential Jedi material.

My reasoning behind saying this lay first in his luck, in Starwars canon such luck is pretty much justified by force sensitivity at work (he ALWAYS managed to pick the right path to find his way to where he needed to be), and also his handling of the light-saber... fact is according to canon, just competently wielding one of the dammed things is an exercise in force use... cause of how bloody easy it is to kill yourself with it, and while he didn't win again Vader-wanna be, he held his own like a champ.

Personally I found it not bad but not particularly good either, mostly because of a series of small things that slowly added up.

The plot. As many said before, it resemble too much the one from the original trilogy. I would have preferred something different and I find hard to believe nothing better could be created given the possibilities a post-Endor situation could provide.

The pace. Too fast or they wanted to cram too much in a too little package (which would lead to the "too fast" sensation. At least that is the impression I got.

The Bad Guys. Yes, I mean the whole lot of them, so I'll have to split this up.

Kylo Ben gave e a good impression initially, but that didn't last long as they showed more of him. It started a few scant seconds after the scene where he destroys the console, at first it reinforced my good impression (didn't shoot the messenger), but then he start to strangle the officer when he mentions a girl? Why? Did he want some booty (a fine one, I admit) too? Anyway, my disappointment reaches the apex when he unmasks, turning him from "menacing villain" to "just another guy." Let's be clear here: this is just me not liking this decision; I understand perfectly why some people might like it, but it's just not my cup of tea.

Supreme Leader Snoke: Snoke? Really? More like Supreme Leader Coke and the Snort Knights. Snoke for short.

The First Order: They were depicted so blatantly nazi it was like being hit by a turd brick. Abrams really fucked it up here as far as I'm concerned.

The Superweapon: it's retarded and almost facepalmed when shown how it worked. Leaving aside the sheer amount of resources needed to build something like that, the fact it is supposed to "eat" a sun is not something I can gloss over. It is like if someone somehow managed to fit an Olympic pool worth of water inside an half liter bottle; a feat so impressive that the ability to destroy a planet is nothing compared to it. And don't tell me "it's a insert-precursor-race-here artifact," even if it was it would have made far more sense to STUDY it (and probably a better plot with the Resistance trying to stop the FO from gaining an insurmountable technological advantage).

With the rest I was either fine with it or good.

Gonna watch the Star Wars Episode VI tomorrow. Wish me luck-desu~

Kylo Ben gave e a good impression initially, but that didn't last long as they showed more of him. It started a few scant seconds after the scene where he destroys the console, at first it reinforced my good impression (didn't shoot the messenger), but then he start to strangle the officer when he mentions a girl? Why? Did he want some booty (a fine one, I admit) too? Anyway, my disappointment reaches the apex when he unmasks, turning him from "menacing villain" to "just another guy." Let's be clear here: this is just me not liking this decision; I understand perfectly why some people might like it, but it's just not my cup of tea.

I really hated this decision... but at the same time I completely understand it.

What I'm really hoping for, is that with every subsequent movie he becomes more and more inhuman, until that mask becomes the only face he can ever have. If that is the setup they're going for then I'll approve of the choice, even if for right now I can't say I enjoyed it.

I really hated this decision... but at the same time I completely understand it.

What I'm really hoping for, is that with every subsequent movie he becomes more and more inhuman, until that mask becomes the only face he can ever have. If that is the setup they're going for then I'll approve of the choice, even if for right now I can't say I enjoyed it.
Well, Rey certainly helped him with the face issue, soon he will have a scarred face too; just like his grandpa :p. For the moment however I'm hoping they'll do a better job with his reason/s to go Dark Side. While not stated in the movie, what little transpired in it is not filling me with confidence.

I'm also desperately hoping that Rey is NOT Luke's daughter. I don't know where that theory came from, but I would really like for it to not be true.

Ok how the fuck do you find a goddamn Lightsaber that fell into a fucking Gas Giant(unless that changed too).
Am I misremembering something?

Ok how the fuck do you find a goddamn Lightsaber that fell into a fucking Gas Giant(unless that changed too).
Am I misremembering something?
It does not necessarily mean it fell in the same way (and path) as Luke. In fact, given the different weight and shape (hand+lightsaber) it should have followed an entirely different path.

So. Just got back from seeing a 7:40 showing. Theater was packed fuller than I've seen one since opening night for The Avengers, sounds like they sold out of tickets too.

Han Solo is dead and a little piece of me is dead with him. :( Fare thee well you dashing rogue, and may you sail the sea of stars forever.

I knew they were going to do it, some jackass on anonkun posted a thread with a spoiler title right where I couldn't not look at it, and the old cast need to be pushed off to the side before old age catches up with them in the middle of the next movies. That doesn't mean it didn't hurt like a bitch though. :( Some poor girl in the row down front was bawling like she'd lost a family member and I don't blame her a bit.

And then the power went out right in the middle of the lightsaber duel. Those of you who are sensitive to the Force, that wave of outrage and despair you felt about a half hour ago? That was probably us. :D

Watched screening last night. Oh god what a disapointment it was.

Ok the usual complain. It resembled episode IV way to much to be an homage or reference. It was straight plagiarism. Main plot wasn't trying to do anything orginal or memorable.

I fucking hate main heroine. They wanted to have strong female lead and what we got was bland, uninteresting and what unrelateble character who I suspect full name must be Ray Sue ex Machina. Out of nowere or any reason behind she had knowledge of gained skills that help her solve any problem she faced. Finn would be more interesting hero in this story if he got better fleshed out.

Death of Han Solo was easy to see from mile way, the moment he walked into that metal bridge, and it was so downplayed and filled with not so subtle SYMBOLISM I didn't fell anything outside wanting to facepalm on how stupid and predictable this scene was.

Thought entire movie there was no tension or exiting moment for me. For fuck sake I can't believe I'm saying this but Episode I had more interesting scenes than this movie.

I'm writing on my phone right now so I can't properly put here everything I disliked about episode VII. Over all it was is one big let down and I don't look forward to next episodes.

Good god, I needed that rant.
So basically, it's total fucking shit?

Good god, I'm happy I was never hyped with Star Wars. Though that may be more due to the fact that I never really liked it in particular, either.

I have been fucking annoyed by all the hype by the people around me. Especially the ones who are going "come on, you HAVE to see it!"

No, I don't have to, dipshits. I prefer a day of Dark Souls PVP over some overhyped fuckreel. Massive number of viewers for the first week or no, I don't care. I never liked Star Wars. I've watched the movies. They weren't impressive for me. And this likely isn't.

And as it turns out from QQ? It really isn't.

So basically, it's total fucking shit?

Good god, I'm happy I was never hyped with Star Wars. Though that may be more due to the fact that I never really liked it in particular, either.

I have been fucking annoyed by all the hype by the people around me. Especially the ones who are going "come on, you HAVE to see it!"

No, I don't have to, dipshits. I prefer a day of Dark Souls PVP over some overhyped fuckreel. Massive number of viewers for the first week or no, I don't care. I never liked Star Wars. I've watched the movies. They weren't impressive for me. And this likely isn't.

And as it turns out from QQ? It really isn't.

Eh I wouldn't say that.

I disagree with above guy on Ray, because she was clearly a strong force empath with a machine focus which kinda showed in all her interactions. Fin though Is probably my favourite over all and together with Ray he bounces off of her REALLY well.

They're both arguably weaker characters apart than they are together... but when they are together doing things the Movie kinda explodes in fun factor.

On the other hand the over all plot had weaknesses, and you could feel the places where they rushed things forward just to meet their 2 1/2 hour deadline... (I'm actually pretty sure it's going to have an extended edition which fixes that 'rushed' feeling) and by far every character in the entire thing felt lively, and the world felt lived in.

But yeah, it was over hyped, but none the less a fun and watchable movie... vastly superior to the last 3... but that's not much of an achievement.

From what I've heard the complaint isn't that she's strong in the force, it's that she's got the talents without any training. She does all this stuff the same day she hears that she can even use the force. Using the Jedi mind trick without even hearing that it's a thing, fighting a trained Sith and winning without having used a saber before.

From what I've heard the complaint isn't that she's strong in the force, it's that she's got the talents without any training. She does all this stuff the same day she hears that she can even use the force. Using the Jedi mind trick without even hearing that it's a thing, fighting a trained Sith and winning without having used a saber before.
To be fair, Kylo was very injured by Chewie and even Finn to an extent, and she knew her way around the staff before she picked the saber up,

Last edited:
She does all this stuff the same day she hears that she can even use the force.

Don't forget that time spent in traveling is heavily glossed over in Star Wars

Using the Jedi mind trick without even hearing that it's a thing,

Except she did because whiny emo bitch boy was trying to brute force MC her into giving up the map so she did have some knowledge of it.

fighting a trained Sith and winning without having used a saber before.

As above she is trained in staff usage and if she can do that she may have used sword shaped things before.

Getting rid of the super death star world and replacing whiny emo bitch boy with a better villain would fix a lot of the problems. Someone other then Abrams who cared more about the story and less about cool camera tricks would fix most of the other problems.

And since EU was dumped why the fuck wasn't Leia the first person Luke trained? RotJ Blatantly put a force sensitive right the fuck there for Luke to train and he didn't.

Jedi and Sith use force based precog to fight with sabers. Every force user gets trained to do this. Luke was given instruction on how to feel the force. Was Rey instructed or trained to use the force for this?

Staff use =/= Sword use. You often brace an end of the staff against your side or thigh, and often shift your grip higher or lower to do more damage or gain more reach.

Knowing that you can affect peoples minds with the force does not give you the skill of affecting minds with it, any more than getting hit by a car teaching you how to drive.

Yeah but it seems like their jossing out force being required for saber use or at least not making it as important since Finn was decent as well.

The main reason they didn't get their shit kicked in was still Chewie though

Mind trick she learned from having it used on her.

The Sith was HALF trained (His master called him in to COMPLETE his training at the end of the movie) and also... he was sevarely injured by TAKING A SEIGE blaster to the torso, and then fighting a duel with Fin (who is despite appearances a fully trained Storm trooper, including Melee training) and THEN had to fight Ray... who the entire time was using the Sabre almost as if she was trying to hold a staff... only she's a fully awakened force user and thus the force would have been keeping her from killing herself with the weapon.

She barely ekked out a victory on this guy who was by this time nearly half dead from bloodloss, tired from the previous fight, AND Hurt.

Anyone criticizing that fight on merits of her managing a win, can go suck a nut for being terribly foolish.

Yeah but it seems like their jossing out force being required for saber use or at least not making it as important since Finn was decent as well.

The main reason they didn't get their shit kicked in was still Chewie though

Nope... thinking about it the entire movie... Fin's pretty clearly a force sensitive, And he apparently has Stormtrooper Melee Weapons training.

Why do I think he's force sensitive?

Every single flipping time that he 'gets lucky' and 'falls' into something or the other that helps him out. The movie is a string of coincidences that could basically make the entire thing be properly renamed as 'Fin gets Lucky!'

Add that to him being one of the two actually handling the Light sabre in battle, it basically says alot.

Calling it now Fin is Lando's force sensitive son who got kidnapped by the nazisFirst Order simply because he was Lando's son.

Kidnapping Lando's kid to make a mook sounds like something some empire wannabes would do.

Also first time he ever ends up in a combat situation with some helpless people dying he suddenly has an attack of conscience even though he was conditioned from basically birth to simply ignore it, sounds like an Empathic gift to me.

Mind trick she learned from having it used on her.

The Sith was HALF trained (His master called him in to COMPLETE his training at the end of the movie) and also... he was sevarely injured by TAKING A SEIGE blaster to the torso, and then fighting a duel with Fin (who is despite appearances a fully trained Storm trooper, including Melee training) and THEN had to fight Ray... who the entire time was using the Sabre almost as if she was trying to hold a staff... only she's a fully awakened force user and thus the force would have been keeping her from killing herself with the weapon.

She barely ekked out a victory on this guy who was by this time nearly half dead from bloodloss, tired from the previous fight, AND Hurt.

Anyone criticizing that fight on merits of her managing a win, can go suck a nut for being terribly foolish.

Nope... thinking about it the entire movie... Fin's pretty clearly a force sensitive, And he apparently has Stormtrooper Melee Weapons training.

Why do I think he's force sensitive?

Every single flipping time that he 'gets lucky' and 'falls' into something or the other that helps him out. The movie is a string of coincidences that could basically make the entire thing be properly renamed as 'Fin gets Lucky!'

Add that to him being one of the two actually handling the Light saber in battle, it basically says alot.
I saw a foreign version of the fight, he says something to her and she instantly stops losing and starts winning. She shouldn't be fully force awakened, and even if she was it shouldn't have been enough. Luke could barely use TK to pull a saber even though he was awakened, he had to be trained. Once he was almost fully trained he lost to Vader.

If you wanted to use the argument that Kylo wasn't taking it seriously for most of the fight I'd accept that, as he didn't simply kill either of them.

On Fin, doesn't he leave the Empire because he doesn't want to kill people, but then kills his Imperial friends/coworkers?

Also, lightsabers have had their damage nerfed. There's like three or four hits taken that don't stop the fight. Every fight in the other movies stops at the first hit.

Personally, I've taken to calling it A New Hope HD. It was decent, for JJ Abrams. It still has all his annoying stylistic flaws - an inability to really pause the action, a powerful focus on trying to make things visual which annihilates good sense, logic and science. That said the dialogue was a billion times better than in the prequels. Screwball dialogue and humor was back in force, I felt like I was actually watching a Star Wars film. I don't put it above any of the original trilogy, but it's fit to stand with them in a way the prequels were most certainly not.

Have to note - it's nice that they did address some of the flaws in the original series - the starfighters actually maneuver like starfighters and not airbreathers, which was neat.

I saw a foreign version of the fight, he says something to her and she instantly stops losing and starts winning. She shouldn't be fully force awakened, and even if she was it shouldn't have been enough. Luke could barely use TK to pull a saber even though he was awakened, he had to be trained. Once he was almost fully trained he lost to Vader.
She fights him pretty much without the Force for the first half of their fight. Then he talks to her, she tunes in and beats him.

On Fin, doesn't he leave the Empire because he doesn't want to kill people, but then kills his Imperial friends/coworkers?
Definitely a jarring point they never address because JJ Abrams doesn't do character downtime, but I suspect he doesn't equate 'slaughter of poorly equipped farmers' with 'engaging trained and indoctrinated stormtroopers in combat.'

Also, lightsabers have had their damage nerfed. There's like three or four hits taken that don't stop the fight. Every fight in the other movies stops at the first hit.
Not entirely true. Vader takes a couple hits in RoTJ without ending the duel. Thing is that most other movies have the first hit be a powerfully decisive one. Someone gets hit and they've just lost a limb or been skewered. This is more amateurs flailing at each other and doing lots of shallow cuts/burns. It's not that sabers were nerfed so much as neither of them gets a solid hit in.

Personally, I've taken to calling it A New Hope HD. It was decent, for JJ Abrams. It still has all his annoying stylistic flaws - an inability to really pause the action, a powerful focus on trying to make things visual which annihilates good sense, logic and science. That said the dialogue was a billion times better than in the prequels. Screwball dialogue and humor was back in force, I felt like I was actually watching a Star Wars film. I don't put it above any of the original trilogy, but it's fit to stand with them in a way the prequels were most certainly not.

Have to note - it's nice that they did address some of the flaws in the original series - the starfighters actually maneuver like starfighters and not airbreathers, which was neat.
I kinda liked the unrealistic starfighter physics of the originals, but either way it's not a deal breaker for me. The fancy camera work often makes it hard for me to follow the action, like in the trailer where they introduce the Falcon. It does some kind of loop or something, it's hard to figure out what's happening when you have close shots at high speed.

Just a personal gripe really. a form of Borne movie-itis.
She fights him pretty much without the Force for the first half of their fight. Then he talks to her, she tunes in and beats him.
See, if they were equal at that point it would have been fine, she's a newb, he's injured and tired. But she dominates at that point, and it feels wrong.
Definitely a jarring point they never address because JJ Abrams doesn't do character downtime, but I suspect he doesn't equate 'slaughter of poorly equipped farmers' with 'engaging trained and indoctrinated stormtroopers in combat.'
Those stormtroopers were the people he considered family/friends. They know his face well enough to call him a traitor. He shouldn't have wanted to kill them.
Not entirely true. Vader takes a couple hits in RoTJ without ending the duel. Thing is that most other movies have the first hit be a powerfully decisive one. Someone gets hit and they've just lost a limb or been skewered. This is more amateurs flailing at each other and doing lots of shallow cuts/burns. It's not that sabers were nerfed so much as neither of them gets a solid hit in.
Vader is also mostly mechanical, but I'll give that one to you. It's just that the reduced apparent lethality is another hit against the series. Lightsabers were dangerous and powerful, if they were used it meant that you mean business.

Personally, comparing it to the original trilogy is unfair because those movies are the holy grail of sci-fi excellence, not only because they're excellent but also because of the nostalgia factor. Even if the new movies were of perfectly identical quality to the old ones people would still judge them more harshly simply because they're new.

That being said, I like that JJ focused on the nostalgia factor while also opening things up for future events in the next movies. Yes it was very similar to A New Hope in many ways but I don't think that's a weakness; for example, it's juxtaposed against an obvious theme I noticed only in retrospect that the new villains are hopelessly obsessed with reclaiming past glories. Luke and the Rebellion won the war. Balance was brought to the Force. And unlike in the novels of the old continuity, there aren't any new Sith threats that eradicate that progress and render Luke's efforts meaningless.

The Empire will never rise again. The Dark Side will never conquer the universe again. The First Order are chasing the ghosts of past glory and Kylo Ren is obsessed with filling Vader's shoes but neither of them will pull it off. I think that Ren is deliberately weaksauce as a villain, at least for now. There is no way he could ever measure up to Vader in the eyes of the fans so Abrams did something meta by making him try to fill those shoes and be doomed to fail. It remains to be seen what Snookers has in store for him (I refuse to believe that's not some kind of code name), but now rather than the implacable man he's been set up for future movies to turn him into a threat that grows in strength alongside the heroes.

The scene where Kyle Bem/Rem/whatever praying to Vader's helmet tells you is the most accurate summary of the entire movie. I remember the movie looking very pretty, and feeling that Brienne of Chrome was a OT Bobba Fett reference, apart from that I don't have any idea of who these people are and what exactly happened throughout the movie. Beyond the OT characters returning, Han dying, and Luke showing up at the end, I can't remember any other specific scene.

Reading the comments of people in this thread helps me remember some bits of the movie.

Someone also mentioned on SB that Nookes is Plaeguis, which would explain how they could afford the DS3.
Calling it now Fin is Lando's force sensitive son who got kidnapped by the nazisFirst Order simply because he was Lando's son.
Which leads Fin through a series of events in which he ends up having to go to the Valley of the Jedi which leads to him becoming a Super!Jedi or Awakened!Jedi with an unconventional arsenal, and since they're just recycling and messing up old plots then the Third movie must deal with an amnesiac Scone or Kyle having to go hunting for the location of an even bigger Star Forge.

P.S. Kyle was in great pain and suffering a lot of emotional turmoil, that's like crack and RedBull for a Darksider's Force powers. How did he lose to Rias? That fight should have ended with her being saved by Chewie sneak attacking Kyle,tearing off his arms and beating him to death with them, since the rush of pain+power probably reduced his peripheral awareness.

Last edited:
I can't believe they overrode Rogue Squadron series for this crap. This 'First Order' thing is such a pitiful joke compared to Zsinj's faction. Hell, even Isard's, for all that she was a psychotic nutcase at the end of her rule.

Or, alternatively, an ideological conflict between New Republic and Imperial Remnant wherein both sides have could be sympathised with would have been great, too. Certainly better than unquestionable good vs evil mentality they have now.

Not even going to touch the force users. Between Vitiate, Kreia and Sidious the bar for a truly threatening Sith Lord is so high that the idea of Kylo Ren authors reaching it is quite ridiculous.

I just realized a problem/plothole that could destroy the entire setting if harnessed properly. Due to new Canon gravity wells no longer rip ships out of hyper. (see solo's trick getting through the shield). Why the hell are ftl planet devastator torpedoes not already a thing. Or did they just shrink the distance you can get to a gravity well so it still pulls them out but you are now slamming into stuff at sublight speed, in which case why are ftl torpedoes still not a thing.

JJ did the same kind of thing with Star Trek's transporters; they now work at interstellar distances and at warp. Don't expect it to change anything, even if it gets picked up on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back