• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Star Wars! Spoilers Allowed So Beware!

Can the in case when pilot is dead or unconscious can astrodroid take over controls or cooperate with fighter autopilot systems, to have some basic ability to make decision were to land, evasive maneuvers and return fire with blasters if necessary, before fighter is retrieved and pilot safe? That logically would be one of the most important feature for all fighter astrodroids to have.

Can the in case when pilot is dead or unconscious can astrodroid take over controls or cooperate with fighter autopilot systems, to have some basic ability to make decision were to land, evasive maneuvers and return fire with blasters if necessary, before fighter is retrieved and pilot safe? That logically would be one of the most important feature for all fighter astrodroids to have.
I... don't know.

Honestly, Astromechs are treated quite weirdly in Star Wars. They go from doing lots to little in the blink of an eye. Even R2 can't escape it, look at R2 in the prequels vs the OT.

... You know, I can't stop imagining Luke disappearing being something like:

Luke: Another Skywalker going dark side!? That's it, I'm leaving.
Honestly? I'm in the camp that assumed that's exactly what happened. Another Skywalker went dark and Luke went "Fuck, we really are the universes greatest threat right now" and up and left to keep himself from doing the exact same thing.

I just wanna say Based Poe is based and OP pls nerf, it's like he's Mobius One; he shows up and is a double ace in no time.

also Finn spends the whole movie wanting to run away... And then he mans the fuck up and fights.

also not gonna lie i want a poe/finn buddy spy movie series, and every other mission ends up in shootouts and the heroes having to jack a ship to escape.

also Poe is already in a threesome: Sky/Poe/W-Wing. :p

I just wanna say Based Poe is based and OP pls nerf, it's like he's Mobius One; he shows up and is a double ace in no time.

also Finn spends the whole movie wanting to run away... And then he mans the fuck up and fights.

also not gonna lie i want a poe/finn buddy spy movie series, and every other mission ends up in shootouts and the heroes having to jack a ship to escape.

also Poe is already in a threesome: Sky/Poe/W-Wing. :p
... Honestly, Poe and Finn's dynamic is one of the best parts of the film, and I'd take more Poe any day, since the space battles are, to me, the best part of Star Wars.

True. They had way better chemistry and well established bond of friendship in less screen time in comparison to how movie tried to convince us how Rey grown fond of Han Solo and sees him as father figure.

True. They had way better chemistry and well established bond of friendship in less screen time in comparison to how movie tried to convince us how Rey grown fond of Han Solo and sees him as father figure.
Honestly, that had kinda come out of nowhere and made me think it was only there because Luke and Han had a similar scene in A New Hope, which if you think about the context, comes off less as fondness and more Han being willing to take on a third member for the sake of sparing Luke certain death.

Kylo was not sufficiently hampered by his wounds to lose.
Hampered by his wounds? What doesn't kill or removes a body part, only makes Darksiders stronger. Self-Loathing, Anger, Fear, Pain... Things Kylo was feeling from both the wound and killing Han.
Ben was causing himself more pain. And more pain angered him even more. And more anger was fueling his Dark Side he connected with to keep himself conscious and capable of moving.
P.S. Kyle was in great pain and suffering a lot of emotional turmoil, that's like crack and RedBull for a Darksider's Force powers. How did he lose to Rias?

Should have been able to wipe the floor with Finn and Ray no problem. Only a sneak attack due to peripheral awareness being not being a priority while riding a Dark High would be a plausible way to score a win.

Hampered by his wounds? What doesn't kill or removes a body part, only makes Darksiders stronger. Self-Loathing, Anger, Fear, Pain... Things Kylo was feeling from both the wound and killing Han.

Should have been able to wipe the floor with Finn and Ray no problem. Only a sneak attack due to peripheral awareness being not being a priority while riding a Dark High would be a plausible way to score a win.
My point was that even if wounds did hinder instead of help, he was still strong enough to beat them without trouble before the script switches to Rey winning.

Well guys, I liked the movie quite a bit actually. I loved Fin, Poe and seeing the millennium falcon in action again. I thought the villain, while kind of whiny, was actually somewhat cool and interesting to see.

I hate ray though, she reeks of mary sue.

And no, the force does not compensate for lacking any skills in a certain area. It shows at how Luke was utter shit with lightsabers at first and he underwent (*gasp*) actual training from the first movie on how to use such a device properly. She should have lost her fight against Kylo, who was on a darkside high at the time and even if he wasn't fighting at his best he was trained and experienced in the weapon's use.

One of my favorite points in the movie was Fin taking and using the lightsaber, even though he wasn't skilled in it. He then logically got his ass kicked when up against someone who knew what he was doing. It would have also been refreshing to see a jedi that didn't use a lightsaber.

But that didn't happen.

Also, Ray comes off as a special fucking snowflake at all times, with absolutely no real or impactful flaws when compared to the other new characters (excluding Poe, but he was a pilot who pilots. That' literally his shtick).

I mean, Fin was believable, he was realistic in his desire to run away from everything after what he'd seen and seemed to be doing his best even though he was originally just a mook. He was probably my favorite character from the movie. And now he's in a coma so they can focus on Ray's training in the way of the mary sue jedi.

First order was meh, at least their stormtroopers could hit things with a good amount of accuracy. Did like the shock maul weapon too.

I enjoyed it, but was left disappointed by some pretty big things.

I have the exact same problem with Rey using staff skills and The Force to use a lightsaber as I have Luke using atmospheric craft skills skills and The Force to make a one in a million shot against the Death Star. None at all.

As for her being good with a blaster after one shot, who-fucking-hoo, so does almost every untrained main male character in a action movie, and they don't get called on it. Very disappointed in Captain Phazon(?), who was nowhere near as badass as someone wearing her armor should be.

Last edited:
I have the exact same problem with Rey using staff skills and The Force to use a lightsaber as I have Luke using atmospheric craft skills skills and The Force to make a one in a million shot against the Death Star. None at all. As for her being good with a blaster after one shot, who-fucking-hoo, so does every other untrained main male character in a action movie, and they don't get called on it. Very disappointed in Captain Phazon(?), who was nowhere near as badass as someone wearing her armor should be.
If he was shown to be a bad pilot one moment, and the next used the force to be a good pilot, I'd have a problem with it. Luke's comment on the T16 and Womprats implies sufficient similarity between the required skill sets.

Hey. I have important question too people who watched Force Awakens. Does any of you remember music or at least the single score. Because I can't recall a single tune from that movie, and I need to know it it's just me. Music couldn't be that unnoticeable or forgettable. I still can hum at least one melody from any other movie, even prequels.

Hey. I have important question too people who watched Force Awakens. Does any of you remember music or at least the single score. Because I can't recall a single tune from that movie, and I need to know it it's just me. Music couldn't be that unnoticeable or forgettable. I still can hum at least one melody from any other movie, even prequels.
... I can remember March of the Resistance, but that's probably because it takes major ques from the Imperial March. Otherwise? Nope.

Yes. There area a number of examples of this from the Legends canon. Most memorable to me was in the novel Revan. After Revan crashed his ship and was kidnapped by the Sith, his astromech went so far as to repair the ship and pilot it off planet to search for someone to save him.

It all depends on the programming, the personality, whether its been memory-wiped recently, and so forth. Some droids would have been happy its owner was kidnapped so it could be free.

As for her being good with a blaster after one shot, who-fucking-hoo, so does almost every untrained main male character in a action movie, and they don't get called on it. Very disappointed in Captain Phazon(?), who was nowhere near as badass as someone wearing her armor should be.
You know, it would have been an awesome after-credits stinger to show her in a shuttle or something flying away, with a mangled dianoga lying in the entryway. Sadly I didn't bother to stay for the credits given that nature was calling something fierce.

No, but I don't find that particularly odd. The music is largely recycled, and the only melodies that have stuck with me over the whole series are the main theme, the Imperial March, the Emperor's theme, and Duel of the Fates. Also, I guess the first few bars of the Ewok theme.

Alright I've been looking for a place to rant and this site is where all the people I like hang out so here it goes.

First of all, I liked the new Star Wars movie. I just didn't love it like so many others seem to. I especially thought that the actors and actresses all did a pretty phenomenal job.

That said, the problem that I have with this new movie, that takes my enjoyment of it down from a 10/10 to a 5/10 is this:

The whole movie is basically A New Hope x2 (Or Super Sized)

1. Two main heroes who both wield the same damn lightsaber from A New Hope. Because plot reasons I guess.

2. The movie starts with the main villain attacking something and killing all defenders before taking an important character to his ship to torture them.

3. One of our heroes grows up on a desert planet, just like Luke on Tatooine. Except her life is even shittier cuz we have to make things just a bit more gritty and dark. And can I just say, I will be super pissed if it turns out Luke, Leia, or Han left Rey on fucking Jakku to be what was basically a slave for her entire life. There's a lot of theories that say she might be Luke's kid or Luke's clone or Leia and Han's second kid or whatever, and if we find out they left her on that planet to "protect her" I'm going to be really pissed at the so-called "good guys"

4. They split off the "best pilot of the rebelli- I mean resistance" into another character as well so we actually have three main heroes instead of one Luke (A New Hope x3!) Frankly, I expected Po to die early on in the movie. So well done defying my expectations, but yeah its still a bit annoying (ESPECIALLY with no mention of Wedge Antilles, not even saying he like trained resistance pilots or something :( I already miss Wedge and his influence on the EU, along with the rest of Rogue Squadron.

5. They made a bigger version of the Death Star that now eats suns and destroys FIVE whole planets at a time now. They proceed to use it to kill even MORE innocents in an exact mirror of the Death Star being used on Alderaan in A New Hope, instead of seeking out their actual enemies to use it on. Also does this mean Coruscant is just gone now? I assumed that it was where the Republic/Senate would be, but I dunno.

6. An old man dies to the main villain.

7. The main villain of this movie was probably the only part of the film that wasn't x2 or supersized (unless you count the two helmets Ren has WHICH I DO) mostly because Kai Lo Ren comes across as the biggest Groupie/Wannabe of all time, instead of a real villain.

I think thats all I can remember for major examples, but yeah the entire movie came across as A New Hope 2.0 with the subtitle of "Please like this movie and give us money because we made it exactly like the one you liked before since you hated the prequels and we know now from the Marvel movies to not try new things and to stick with the formula that works."

Its a long subtitle.

Also on a related note, the biggest problem I had with the movie while sitting in the theater WATCHING it, was actually... any scene with Carrie Fisher. I'm sorry, and I don't really mean any offense to her, but her voice is absolutely WRECKED. She is HARD to listen to.

So yeah... rant over.

EDIT: Probably should have read the thread first, sorry for basically repeating everything you guys already said lol.

Also on a related note, the biggest problem I had with the movie while sitting in the theater WATCHING it, was actually... any scene with Carrie Fisher. I'm sorry, and I don't really mean any offense to her, but her voice is absolutely WRECKED. She is HARD to listen to.
Yeah, no, Carrie Fisher... well, honestly, it seems like Leia was spared dying literally due to female, really. Given Carrie Fisher's state, she needs to get written out of the story, it's pretty clear her ability to act is quite shot.

Which is rather sad, really. She was quite good in the OT, but she hasn't treated herself very well.

Yeah, no, Carrie Fisher... well, honestly, it seems like Leia was spared dying literally due to female, really. Given Carrie Fisher's state, she needs to get written out of the story, it's pretty clear her ability to act is quite shot.

Which is rather sad, really. She was quite good in the OT, but she hasn't treated herself very well.

Yeah and from what I hear, she was really upset about the amount of weight they made her lose for this role.

But tbh, if it was lost in a healthy manner, they probably added years to her life by forcing her to do so. She's really not in a good place.

Yes, but I thought it was rather odd that they took time to melodramatically show him being sad/horrified over a comrade dying in his first scene, and then a few scenes after that he's killing the same comrades left and right and laughing about it. Like he's all gleeful about it. He's happy to be murdering the people he grew up with, who were raised like he was, and may have many of the same thoughts and inner struggles he does.

It's just annoying for me to see villains cripple themselves for some kind of "honor". Especially because the heroes are winning partly because they don't share any desire for honor. That also plays odd with the whole light side and dark side thing, from my view.

They also should really not have had any expectation that nobody would interfere in their fight. It was a ridiculously stupid thing to do, even if believable (assuming storm trooper training is clumsy and doesn't work well).

I guessed it was something like that, but it was still funny to watch. He needed all his dark side focus to keep them luscious locks out of his eyes. Too bad he forgot to reason about his ability to casually toss his opponents around like yoyos.

That wasn't honor it was because only an idiot is going to use a blaster against someone with a Lightsaber since they'll likely just DEFLECT the bolts, instead he went for the specially made electrical melee-weapon that was created to deal with lightsaber wielders and that he was trained in how to use to FIGHT said lightsaber wielders.

Also if people would bother looking around you'd know that the novelization explicitly points out what was implied in the movie that killing Han DIDN'T help Ren become immunized to being "seduced" by the light side like he believed, it made him WEAKER plus he seemed to be having a psychotic break or something.

Wow. So Force Awaken failed so much they had to cover most plot holes and clarify what were conseqences of essencial events with official novelization before they realesed second movie. Just...wow.

Wow. So Force Awaken failed so much they had to cover most plot holes and clarify what were conseqences of essencial events with official novelization before they realesed second movie. Just...wow.

what the electro tonfa or Ren? Because its pretty obvious he's not fully dedicated to the Dark Side with his "prayers" to Vader's helmet and his freeze people/blaster bolts trick is the force stasis which iirc is a LIGHT SIDE technique.

edit: also don't forget the eerie blue glow reflected off him after killing Han, since according to how things were set up before the EU changed it iirc, having a blue colored lightsaber meant you had a near perfect connection/attunement to the (light side of the) force.

Last edited:
So, I suppose I should list the good things I found first.

Harrison Ford can emote without words quite well. That was a well done death scene. Moving.

Threatening stormtroopers. They were actually competent in many ways. Big change from Ep4. And six. Light, fucking six.

Did I mention Harrison Ford? 'Cause he was kinda there, and awesome.

Finn's dorkness.

I probably mentioned this, but Harrison Ford was in the movie, as Han Solo. This was a very good choice.

Some bloody good starfighter sequences.

There's this actor, who played Han Solo. Maybe you've heard of him?

Kylo. Daddystabbing. Ren. I found that son of a bitchPrincess to be a good villain. Powerful presence, but not fully in control of himself. Wild, and a little insane. Flawed with room to grow, but still bloody awesome at moments.

Luke's beard. Fuck yes.

Oh, and Han Solo.

Okay, bad stuff now.
Pity there's so much.

So, I'll add to the chorus who think that the lightsaber fight should not have ended with Kylo Ren losing. I'll also say that I was not impressed by it. It felt lacking.

Scattershot focus. The film tried to focus on two many perspectives at once.

The way that the heroes would have utterly lost if Captain Phasma had told them to go fuck themselves. Yes, they had her at gunpoint. Wasn't she supposed to be some fanatical rule-obsessed badass? Wouldn't she think: "Oh, they might decide to kill me after I help them anyway, so I may as well call in backup."
Hell, isn't that basically what they did? In a trash compactor, for fucks sakes. After all that hype, they do this.

Rey's actor is older than her character's maturity. She gives off the impression of a young teen. Of course, audiences would go: "But the main guy character and the main girl character just have to have romantic tension, so she's gotta be sixteen at least or it's creepy."

Why the fucking hell did they have a Republic and a Resistance? Just WHY?! Why seperate organizations, why? This would be so fucking simple, just have the first order(Stupid name, use Remnant or Empire) call the Republic the Resistance. Boom, some bloody complexity and such.
Hell, it gives that pilot guy a killer line during that interrogation: "Something something Resistance."/"We call it the Republic."

Darth Snook. Snoke? No, I definitely heard Snook. Who the fucking hell thought that was a good idea?

That fucking stupid superweapon. Okay, so how the fuck do they AIM it? It's a PLANET. An immobile installation on a planet.
And it eats suns for ammo? Okay, how the fuck did they get a second shot off in less than a day? Binary system? Okay, so what about a third? No? Thought not.

Oh, and how the fuck are people seeing the damn thing blow up Coruscant and several other important Republic planets in realtime? I can buy the weapon itself being FTL, but I will not buy light effected by it becoming FTL. And I will not buy explosions visible from whatever world they're on. No, I refuse to accept that bullshit.

R2-D2 waking up, and holding the last piece of the super-special map that leads to Luke Skywalker's current location, because he hasn't moved in however many years.
Fuck. That. Convenient. Bullshit.
Work for your victories, damnit! Have a scene about pulling that data out of the enemy archives, or something!

The frantic pace the movie was moving at. Really, it's Star Wars. It's earned the right to be three hours long. Take some time, edit, and paint a clearer picture.

Leia's passiveness. I mean, seriously. Give her a lightsaber, and let her be in on the action. She's force sensative too.
What, did Luke not train the most able sensitive he knew? Really?

The way they hung that sequel hook.

Ah, yes, one other thing stands out.
Finn.
He's a rare thing: A truly brave male protagonist, rather than one of those fearless, emotionless cardboard cutouts. It's clear that he feels fear quite a bit throughout the film, but he steps up, even when that's insane. Like the time he fights a dark Jedi with a lightsaber.
Some of it is probably his emotional connection to Rey, whatever it is. That said, there is one moment that stands out, after he makes that stupid movie mistake of lying about his fundamental identity.
He comes clean, willingly. I never see that, not ever. That earns him a lot of points with me.
He's visibly emotional, too. He is affected by the loss of his friends, even the one he made very quickly. He carries on, tries to make the best of things.
Oh, and his reaction to Ray telling him that she wouldn't accompany him was also quite good.

The frantic pace the movie was moving at. Really, it's Star Wars. It's earned the right to be three hours long. Take some time, edit, and paint a clearer picture.

Yeah It felt like theres ALOT of material that was just Cut out to make the 2 1/2 hour release.

Darth Snook. Snoke? No, I definitely heard Snook. Who the fucking hell thought that was a good idea?

Pretty sure Snoke isn't a 'Darth' He probably has a different 'Darth' name.

Why the fucking hell did they have a Republic and a Resistance? Just WHY?! Why seperate organizations, why? This would be so fucking simple, just have the first order(Stupid name, use Remnant or Empire) call the Republic the Resistance. Boom, some bloody complexity and such.
Hell, it gives that pilot guy a killer line during that interrogation: "Something something Resistance."/"We call it the Republic."
Because they are actually different organizations.

The Republic is a country, where as the resistance is basically a semi-deniable Terrorist asset.

The way that the heroes would have utterly lost if Captain Phasma had told them to go fuck themselves. Yes, they had her at gunpoint. Wasn't she supposed to be some fanatical rule-obsessed badass? Wouldn't she think: "Oh, they might decide to kill me after I help them anyway, so I may as well call in backup."
Hell, isn't that basically what they did? In a trash compactor, for fucks sakes. After all that hype, they do this.
I completely agree here.

So, I'll add to the chorus who think that the lightsaber fight should not have ended with Kylo Ren losing. I'll also say that I was not impressed by it. It felt lacking.
Yeah... I'm not with you on that one. The victory was certainly telegraphed and set up... A half trained force user reeling from an emotional event (killing his dad) who then takes blaster wound from a blaster that has killed all targets it's hit before literally knocking them up into the air, then two back to back fights with a force sensitive and a novice force user while bleeding out AND holding himself together with the force at the same time. The girl was pretty clearly tapping the 'memories' of how the lightsabre had once been used as well on top of that. The win was pretty well set up.

Though the actual fight coerography... was lacking, the fight itself I can't disagree with, it was a perfect storm of things stacked against him.

Ah, yes, one other thing stands out.
Finn.
He's a rare thing: A truly brave male protagonist, rather than one of those fearless, emotionless cardboard cutouts. It's clear that he feels fear quite a bit throughout the film, but he steps up, even when that's insane. Like the time he fights a dark Jedi with a lightsaber.
Some of it is probably his emotional connection to Rey, whatever it is. That said, there is one moment that stands out, after he makes that stupid movie mistake of lying about his fundamental identity.
He comes clean, willingly. I never see that, not ever. That earns him a lot of points with me.
He's visibly emotional, too. He is affected by the loss of his friends, even the one he made very quickly. He carries on, tries to make the best of things.
Oh, and his reaction to Ray telling him that she wouldn't accompany him was also quite good.

Yeah, Fin is a GEM.

Also his scenes when just plain bouncing against Rey personality wise... the two of them have undeniable buddy cop chemistry.

Because they are actually different organizations.

The Republic is a country, where as the resistance is basically a semi-deniable Terrorist asset.
That's how it was written, but I just can't understand why. The Republic was founded on a platform of "We blew up the Empire's superweapons and killed the Emperor."

Why would they not be at war with the empire under a different sillier name? The hostility is still there. The empire hasn't changed, just had a management shuffle.

It makes no sense.

Another thing I liked: The costuming. That was good.

Last edited:
Why would they not be at war with the empire under a different sillier name? The hostility is still there. The empire hasn't changed, just had a management shuffle.

Because I don't think they actually WERE at war with the new 'Empire wannabes'.

The Rebellion was, the republic were basically a country who had sovereign power... basically they got nuked as a first attack in a war that they didn't see coming (possibly cause they didn't realize that the nuke strike could actually be done without them seeing it coming)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back