• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

The Beginning and Now: Your gaming history

JustForLurking

You're out of cookies.
Essentially a combination between a "first game you played" and "what are you playing now?" threads. Talk about the first game(s) you played, or the one that seriously hooked you into gaming, and how do they compare to what you play nowadays?

Mine was Quake. It's funny in retrospect, because I learned to play it well before I learned to read. And on top of that, the game wasn't translated. Yet I still managed to fumble my way into actual competency. Then when that computer got swapped out, a cousin of my dad (who I believe is the one who installed Quake in the first place) installed that Apache longbow sim that I can't recall the name of. Again, no reading and an untranslated game meant that I didn't know what the hell I was supposed to to. I learnt to fly through random fumbling and lot's of friendly fire. However, I have to say that my favorite game of that time was Freespace. It was what instilled my love of space combat and Sci Fi in general.

Nowadays I don't play much if at all because circumstances prevent me from it. However, before that, I was enjoying the Borderlands series, and playing through WH40k Space Marine, plus WarThunder and World of Tanks. And every time I get the chance, I download the latest Star Citizen patch into my buddy's PC and spend a few hours just floating about.

Hmmmm... the first game I ever played...

Alien Crush on TurboGrafix 16. Yes, a video game... on an obsolete system.

As for the most memorable game I ever played... it's a toss up between the first Exalted game I played (in an online group), or the first Exalted game I played (in real life). :3

Hmmmm... the first game I ever played...

Alien Crush on TurboGrafix 16. Yes, a video game... on an obsolete system.

As for the most memorable game I ever played... it's a toss up between the first Exalted game I played (in an online group), or the first Exalted game I played (in real life). :3
He, had to look those up. Pinball eh? Yeah, now that I think about it, I also played a lot of the one that used to be bundled with windows. When did you get it, btw? Says here it launched in '87.

Do we have an awesome moments in gaming thread here? Because I certainly wouldn't mind hearing how your first game went.

Also, how did you go about getting an online rp group? I kinda want to get into Exalted or Iron Kingdoms, but I live in the middle of nowhere, so finding a group willing to play with me is a pain in the ass.

He, had to look those up. Pinball eh? Yeah, now that I think about it, I also played a lot of the one that used to be bundled with windows. When did you get it, btw? Says here it launched in '87.

Do we have an awesome moments in gaming thread here? Because I certainly wouldn't mind hearing how your first game went.

Also, how did you go about getting an online rp group? I kinda want to get into Exalted or Iron Kingdoms, but I live in the middle of nowhere, so finding a group willing to play with me is a pain in the ass.

Tanuki are ancient creatures, hory and wise. And lo, the video game was gotten in 1989 with the game system.

There is no such thread here in QQ. You must create it. :3

As for online, I met the other players and ST on ancient mailing lists, when the stars were yet young, and FFnet, SB, QQ, and SV were yet to be conceived. Verily, the tanuki met Merior on a mailing list and group project that spun off of the FFML and RAAC.

You can come on IRC and see about finding someone to game with or you could go to RPnation.

My first game is, of course, Tetris. Or one of its knock-off, at least. I still remember the device, it is small, roughly two-handspan, mostly white, but the frame is purple. Afterward, I played various games, but I tend to play mostly tycoon games with occasional RPG in-between.

Nowadays, I play Pillar of Eternity.

Pretty sure my first game was like...Crash Bandicoot or something.
That's the first one I can remember remembering playing, at least.

Nowadays... the various grand strategies by Paradox, Civ IV Colonization (with the Religion and Revolution mod), and 100% Orange Juice.

Pretty sure my first game was like...Crash Bandicoot or something.
That's the first one I can remember remembering playing, at least.

Nowadays... the various grand strategies by Paradox, Civ IV Colonization (with the Religion and Revolution mod), and 100% Orange Juice.
Oooh Crash Bandicoot! I believe that the fourth is one of the games that we had when we first got a PS2. I... Kinda sucked at it. Never got past the second boss. I however love the third one.

Once, long ago I went to a friends house and discovered playstation 2. We took turns playing Jack and Dexter whenever one of us died and I was hooked, for my birthday I had to have it.

Been in a downward spiral ever since, now own a lot of consoles and an overly expensive PC. Only really play PC nowadays and I've even ignored the latest gen of consoles.

My big game at this moment is Crusader Kings 2 but it I get tired of it fairly quick and switch back to Europa Universalis 4 every time and it's got way more hours in total.

I think my first video game would be... Lode Runner: Mad Monk's Revenge or something like that. Or was it the first Civilization game? Shit, I don't remember. Actually, I'm pretty sure it was neither of those... ugh. But I remember playing those when they first came out. Also, playing games back when they still used 5.25" floppy disks... and then the 3.15" floppies. I still go back to some of those oldies too, like Secret of Monkey Island.

As for currently? I've been on a retro kick, but of the more modern stuff... uh... http://bloodrizer.ru/games/kittens/# Does this count? I haven't really been keeping up with the latest stuff...

I have no idea what my first actual game was, but my first form of computer entertainment was learning how to tell the comp to make shapes and colors on the screen.

Given that my dad has been a quality engineer for I have no idea how long, it was quite possibly an early form of CAD.

As for my most memorable childhood games, that's easy.

Because they recently have become available on Steam.I never owned the full games but we had a Best of Apogee CD with the first few levels of most of those games and I played the fuck out of them.

It's one of the very very few things I have bought full price on Steam.

It also marks what I have been recently playing. Fuck, I even remember some of these levels...

The first game I ever played was The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time at my grandparents house. My parents didn't want any of my siblings or I to play video games, so we didn't have any of them in our own house, but every time I went over to see my Grandparents, my uncles would usually be over and they were big into video games, so they set me on the righteous path.

The first ever thing I ever owned on my own that could play video games was a Gameboy Color with Rayman, given to me by my grandma in 2001 before she died of cancer, and let me tell you I played the shit out of it. It wasn't necessarily my favorite Gameboy Color game, that title belongs solely to Dragon Warrior Monster's II. The first console I owned was the PS2, though I've collected quite a few other systems since then.

Right now I'm playing loads of FFXIV (Server's Balmung if you're playing too), and it's the first time I've ever really gone down the MMO hole. I'm really enjoying the story beats so far, even if the finale of the 2.55 story pissed me off for a variety of reasons.

Pokemon Crystal.

I don't even remember much about the actual game, just that I lost it on a car trip at some point and was very unhappy about that.

Currently, I'm not playing a whole lot. I have a beat-up Xbox I don't play, a even more beat-up Playstation 2 that isn't even plugged in, and old Wii for GameCube games I don't play and a Wii-U I only play once every month.

I am a bit more active on the PC. Playing MtG online via Cockatrice has been fun, and I've been playing some Terraria. Right now I'm playing back through the Golden Sun games for Gameboy as well.

First game? Probably Tetris. Or Pong. Or Zelda. Can't remember which.

What bought me overentirely was probably the Game Boy. It made those long afternoon waiting for my mom to come home at the neighbourgh's house or those times she dragged me over to her friends' infinitely more bearable.

What I play now? Well, I've got like thirty PS4 games still under blisters and I haven't touched Witcher 3 since I finished the prologue. Took one look at the map, imagined how many pointless back and forth I'd have to do to complete it and promptly hit Alt+F4. So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't play much anymore.

Well the first game I ever played was probably Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt or Contra on a friend's NES. Probably Contra, since it had a true 2-player mode, can't really remember though.

First game I ever owned was Tetris, on the original green-screen, grey-brick Gameboy.

These days, I do most of my gaming on the PC - The Secret World is my current jam. I got out of the console game when my 360 died, and I don't intend to return any time soon. I'd still play Gameboy games, but Nintendo keep putting out minor variations of the system, and I don't really feel like shelling out for a 3ds, so I suppose that'll fall by the wayside too.

Well the first game I ever played was probably Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt
These two. They were on the same cartridge.

Nowadays... uh. Well, there's a borrowed PS2 on my desk that I don't think I've turned on for half a year. I still need to boot up Portal 2 and play through it. Most recent two games I actually played - like, last week - were FTL (it's like if Star Trek were an action show) and Princess Maker 2 (numbers go up!).

Not completely indicative of my tastes, but perhaps a good indicator of what works its way into my day.

My first game?

Hum... Either Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros 3, TMNT, or this olympics game that required a Twister-type pad attachment, all on the NES. I forget which; I spent more time watching my big sister play than actually playing myself.

Currently working through Tales of Xillia 2 (it seems to have avoided the tendency of Tales sequels to suck horribly thus far, though Elle's voice is grating as hell.), GTAV (fun, but not as much as it's hyped to be. I'm sick of ten-year-olds getting a hold of daddy's game and headset and bitching about anything and everything over voice chat.) Minecraft (Direwolf20 pack w/ Iguana Tweaks added.), and Fallout New Vegas.

Speaking of the last, this is the subforum to use for sslps, right? I want to give it a shot, modded of course.

The first game I ever played... uh... I think it was Shinobi on the Sega Mastersystem, actually. That or Battletoads. Those were the first two games I ever owned.

Wow... I've come a long way... one day I might try and go back and finish them.

Right now I'm playing Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition. Vergil is quite fun to play, as is surprisingly Lady. Not entirely sold on Trish though...

Batman on the Sega Genesis or the combo duck hunter-super Mario in the SNES. One of those was my first video game, and I've been hooked since.

Though I really got hooked onto RPGs and action adventure games with Link's Awakening.

Right now though? Working through 2013 tomb raider and playing MOBAs. Waiting on wh40k eternal crusade, total war warhammer, mordheim and the next tomb raider and elder scrolls.

With the pistol controller, yeah. And pretty sure it was a SNES and not a NES. I don't think they released the NES in America.
I think you might be confused.

When I say NES, I mean this:
nes.png

The SNES was this:
tumblr_lmwi9rMtjk1qixqx0o1_500.gif

The first had an orange pistol-looking thing, whereas the second had the Super Scope.
nes_zapper_by_darkfujin.png

super%20scope%206.jpg

Oh, I had the orange pistol looking thing. And a NES.

The first had an orange pistol-looking thing, whereas the second had the Super Scope.
undefined
I didn't know this thing even existed. I want to call it cool, but then the practical mind in me recognizes that a shoulder held lightgun is must be a pain to use. Still though, learn something new everyday!

The pistol did for the NES. I never had a problem. (I don't recall actually)

What was Sega's handheld? The one the size of the OG Gameboy but in color? I played that too for a few months, before I decided GBC and GBC > sega handheld.

Did it actually work? Because the few lightguns I've used were finicky as all hell. If the answer is yes, then I take it back, it's fucking amazing. And a mecha game? I must know.
It worked.

Sadly, this video is with an emulated super scope. Real game, you had no cursor. You could only trust your own eye.

There was also a 2 players vs mode where player 2 control the robot the gunner is facing.

It worked.

Sadly, this video is with an emulated super scope. Real game, you had no cursor. You could only trust your own eye.

There was also a 2 players vs mode where player 2 control the robot the gunner is facing.

That's pretty fucking amazing. Kinda makes me sad that lightgun games are going the way of the dodo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back