• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

The dilemna dilemma

How do you usually spell it?

• Dilemma

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Dilemna

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Selias

Well worn.
So, "dilemma" is apparently spelled with two ms, rather than an m and an n. This is a bit of a surprise, because I definitely remember being taught that it was spelled "dilemna," when I was in school. This isn't something that's restricted to just me, either. From what I can find on Google, people all over the world have this problem. I mean, some French people apparently spell "dilemme," the French word for "dilemma," as "dilemne," from what I read. No joke. Dilemna isn't even an alternate spelling of dilemma, so nobody really knows where it came from.

Anyone else get taught to spell it the wrong way?

Last edited:
This is the first I've heard of it. Most of my issues come from mispronouncing words I've only ever read.

For what it's worth, I can't recall ever spelling this particular word anything but "dilemma", but I have several other words that my mind is stuck on the wrong spelling for (relevation, recurrest, substract, geniune, diactritic, IIRC a few more - the generally accepted correct spellings are "revelation", "resurrect", "subtract", "genuine', and "diacritic", respectively).

I recall that the first time I consciously noticed "resurrect" (circa 2010) I thought it was a weird misspelling, actually.
That said, while the first four words on the list do make sense (contamination by "relevant", "recurrent", "substrate", and "genius", respectively), I can't think of any remotely plausible explanation for the extra letter in "diactritic".

Never had that problem. Then again, etymology is something of a hobby of mine and I have an eidetic memory, so spelling is atypically easy for me (I usually turn off spell-checkers, because false positives due to technical terms are far more frequent than actual mistakes).

I do get muscle-memory typos quite often, but they're always spotted instantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back