• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

The Sage of the Mind

Chapter 60 : PaNiCk! New
Disclaimer - The rights of the respective characters are with their respective owners. I don't mean to violate their intellectual property rights and thus, only my original characters are my IP.

The Sage of the Mind: Chapter 60 [September 2010]

–Axle Riddle–

"Okay Bruce, I have told all the people I could to help make sure that everything turns out to be fine," He told Bruce, seeing that Betty was still asleep, he used the curtain of Silence around the entire apartment. Scanning Betty once again, from top to bottom showed no signs of any growth but it had literally been less than an hour since Bruce dropped the bomb on him.

"Huh? Okay," Bruce said lifelessly as if the very purpose of his life had been snatched away from him. God, he must be feeling awful right now but there was nothing any of them could do at the moment.

In the end, this was not their decision anyway. It was Betty's call and he was just going to have to make sure that whatever call she made, she came out safe from it. Bruce might be able to handle the loss of an unborn child, but the loss of Betty?

Whew, that would not go okay.

"Bruce, snap out of it. I've ordered breakfast for both of you. Now, we both know things have already progressed past a point of no return. I think you and I both know the kind of woman Betty is and what decision she will take, but we will wait for her to wake up and consult her before taking any major steps.

In the meantime, is there anything that Randall can do, so that we can make an informed decision? Any medical equipment you need? How did you even find out about her gamma radiation anyway?" He asked Bruce in rapid fire.

Bruce simply pointed him at a clock in the doorway. He focused on the clock and was astonished to find that it was nothing like a clock. It was completely digital on the inside with some sort of antennas going around it.

"The hands of the clock are like a radiation gauge. I wanted to keep something like that handy to monitor if my condition was stable or not. Betty insisted that we make it a fun art project so that I don't ruin the "aesthetic" of the place. Huh," Bruce chuckled wryly as he just told him a very heart touching story.

Heart touching it may be but it was not exactly useful for them in this scenario. They needed Bruce back in the game. And a bunch of other geniuses, to make sure that Baby Hulk is born safely, because he knew what Betty was going to choose, and so did Bruce.

"Bruce! Snap out of it. Betty is still alive, you are acting as if she is already gone. Now, is there anything that Randall can do on his own?" He once again asked Bruce to give some directions to Randall who was already running around like a headless chicken once Randall had completed all the tasks he had given to him.

The subterranean highway that he made on a whim would be very useful for such an operation. He could let them get out of Manhattan if adequate medical care was not available here but that would just further jeopardise their safety. No, the best option would be to create the perfect environment, here in Manhattan and then hope for the best.

Plus, if something did really happen, he was the best shot at suppressing Bruce, even if it would turn out to be a temporary measure, with Bruce going stronger the angrier he gets.

Bruce slowly looked up at the ceiling and sighed, "Tell Randall I'll be there in the evening. Until then, get the gamma spectrometers ready,"

"Very well," he nodded and left Bruce to his own devices. The man was sad enough as is. He didn't want to add even more to his already full plate.

He honed in on the Sanctum and was delighted to find that he had made enough progress to sense the protections around the Sanctum at even greater clarity than before. He had a theory that, given enough time, he would be able to sense the weakness of the entire structure, like the texture of it, and after prodding a bit, actually collapse them as well.

Granted, that would be a really bad idea but hey, progress was progress.

Leaving that aside, he metaphorically knocked on the doors, as in knocked on the wards of the Sanctum.

'What can I do for you, Mr.Riddle?" Master Drumm came out and was startled to find a small note just slamming into his chest as his presence receded. He had just given him the note to warn the Ancient One about the situation, even though she probably knew about it with her bullshit magic and bullshit Singularity Stone.

Let's see what all he has done.

Called Fury, who will call upon all the experts he has access to? Check.

Inform the Ancient One? Check.

Inform the team about it. Judging by the various states of panic that had gripped all members of the team? Double Check.

Oh god, this was so stressful. He didn't know how normal people managed to handle this much stress and then go on to raise children.

In the meanwhile, the people of New York went on with their lives, not knowing that Bruce Banner, the Hulk lived with them and there was a chance that he was going to….multiply.

Oh yeah, the Highway. He told What's-his-face to get some construction equipment ready. They were going to create a very sturdy structure with all the space they might need.

The worst thing was that if the baby was normal, he would have had months to prepare. This was literally the first time it would be happening, so nobody knew how fast the Baby would grow up and if Betty's decidedly human body could even handle a Gamma foetus.

He made sure to maintain the lockdown he had on crime though because even with the entire world, at this point, knowing that he was here in New York and was capable of stopping most crimes, criminals still somehow tried. He tried to reduce the underlying reasons for which people turn to crime but there were limits to what he could accomplish, and eliminating hunger from a very sizable population of the city alone had worked wonders in the crime rate.

Obviously, that had ruffled some feathers, some people going live on TV and calling it Mafia Communism of sorts but that was just white noise and he had elected to ignore it. As long as the initiative survived and worked for a few more years, the results would then speak for themselves.

The truth of the matter was that once people are given the basic things they need with dignity, the bare minimum, there was very little chance they would turn to do bad things.

The only reason most criminals started was because a life of crime was somehow much more accessible to them than a life of hard work. Faster, more riskier progress was somehow right in people's faces but slow progress, the one that stuck until the end, was not readily available to them.

If you guys would like to support my writing or just read ahead of the public release, you can head to my P*treon or Ko-fi, for upto 5 extra chapters.

Chapter 61 : The One where Bruce Calms down New
Disclaimer - The rights of the respective characters are with their respective owners. I don't mean to violate their intellectual property rights and thus, only my original characters are my IP.

The Sage of the Mind: Chapter 61 [September 2010]

–Bruce Banner–

Rage.

Looking back, that was the emotion he was most familiar with. Throughout his shitty childhood, then his very bad schooling experience, then towards the end, where he ended up working for the most stereotypical bully there could be, Rage-Anger were emotions he was most familiar with.

Anger at the unfairness of the situation. Anger at the unfairness of his life. Anger at the inability to understand others.

Sometimes he wondered, there was no wonder he turned into a raging monster capable of destroying entire cities. It must be due to the sheer rage he held within himself.

And yet, the same rage that had turned advanced reinforced military equipment into scraps without even thinking about it, the same rage that felt like a burning inferno at the time, felt so small.

It felt so small, like a barely burning ember of fire, when compared to the rage he was feeling right now. Oh, he was not green. Oh, that would not be a good thing and somehow, this time, the Other Guy seemed to agree as well, silently mirroring his rage.

As he was now, he had two options. He could rage at the world, the unfairness of trying to snatch away someone who had just now entered his life, or, he could be there for her.

"Bruce! Snap out of it!" The Invisible Man had said to him, clearly worried for the city he held so dear but the Invisible Man had nothing to worry about, for he would not be turning into a raging monster today.

Not today.

"Good Morning, Honey. I made your favourite pancakes. The first batch burned but why don't we just ignore them, huh?" He said with what he hoped was the appropriate amount of cheer before placing the breakfast table on Betty's lap as she woke up.

He would have to break the news to her, one way or another. He had already informed the Invisible Man, who was his only help at this point. The good news was that man was a powerhouse for whom most of the world's richest and most powerful would bend over backwards for. So, he was sure that if it existed in the world in any form, the Invisible Man could get it for him.

But no matter how resourceful and all present the Invisible Man might be, this was an entirely new problem, something that had never happened before. Part of him berated himself for not realising it sooner. It would never work out between someone like him and a normal human being, and yet….he lost himself in the moment.

He was just so happy to finally have someone he could call his own, and that too, without being called a monster because of the Other Guy.

"Honey, these are delicious,"

"Thank you,"

"So, what's up?"

He looked at Betty, "Nothing,"

"Oh please, Bruce Rober Banner, I know you better than that. Now, spill, what's up?" Betty asked him in between mouthfuls of pancakes.

"So, you know how we have that clock that can measure gamma radiation coming off of a person?"

"Oh yeah, that was a fun project. It looks so much better and goes with the look of the apartment now, instead of being a cheap plastic-looking thing. What about it?" She asked him with those big beautiful eyes and he had to consciously remind himself that he would have to tell her about it anyway, so there was no point in prolonging the inevitable.

"So, I was just going through the logs when…."

……

…..

"So, you think that I am pregnant with our child?" She asked him, all serious, pancakes all but forgotten.

He gulped as his mouth suddenly felt way too dry, "Yes, that is my belief as well as the Invisible Man's but we will still be taking another look. I don't know what is happening but the Invisible Man has assured me that…"

"Bruce! Ohmygod!" Betty hugged him as she gushed about the baby and how happy she was about everything. And how it was perfect that they were already in the safest place imaginable. They also had access to the best doctors and schools anyway, and so on and so forth.

"So, why the mopey face? Gasp! Don't tell me, you don't want our child, the sign of our love? Oh Bruce Robert Banner, thou art a heartless bitch!" She mockingly gasped as she pointed an accusing finger at him.

He chuckled at her antics, a tear escaping his eyes as his mind finally started to relax from the high tension it had wound itself into.

"Listen, you know about my situation and the gamma radiation coming off of you is increasing exponentially. I just want to make sure that it is safe before we get our hopes up. I'll make something with Randall that will help identify the signs of the baby,"

"Can I come? Come on, what will I even do here? I get so bored when you leave for your boys' meetup and I have to look at daily soap, like a housewife,"

"Hey, I seem to recall someone in the labs telling me that they would prefer being a housewife if lab work was all they had to do for the rest of their life," He teased her as he got out of bed, getting ready to head to the Lab, or rather, the Lair of the invisible Man where he kept his team locked up. It was a huge load off his shoulders that Betty was not freaking out like him. She was so calm and composed, as opposed to him.

That gave him more than enough strength to go to the lab and work his damndest hard to make sure that Betty gets what she wants. After all, isn't that was love is all about?

GASP!

"Bruce Robert Banner, how dare you accuse me of saying something I totally did?"

Both of them looked at each other for a moment before he burst out laughing.

"Play, that one was good. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a meeting with another gamma genius extraordinaire,"

"Oh. Give Randall my regards. I am having some pregnancy cravings for French baked goods right now,"

"Honey, it is too early for you to be having pregnancy cravings -err, you know what, I will make sure that it is delivered to you within the hour," He amended himself after being subjected to her glare.

"That's more like the Bruce Robert Banner I know. Have fun, bye!"

He deadpanned at the liberal use of his middle name to mock him and waved back at her as he left his apartment.

Now, all that was left was to make sure that a Gamma Baby came safely out of a normal human whose body was woefully inadequately prepared for such circumstances.

Easy peasy, right?

Come on Bruce, you have always had a big head. If it is not useful at such times, what even is it useful for?

….

Soon, he reached the house in which the seven hulks were living. It was fairly large and it was also reinforced multiple times because the Hulks were not known to live delicately, at all.

"Hey Samuel, I just came to meet Randall," He greeted Samuel who opened the door for him. Even though it would be the height of foolishness for someone to try and rob people who could bend steel, they still made sure to lock their doors.

"Yeah, he is down in the Cave, doing something. See you," Samuel said and left for the kitchen where the rest of the Hulks were doing their preferred activities. One was reading, one was on a gaming console, one was reading a newspaper, and one was cooking for all of them.

All in all, a very odd but still functional family the seven brothers made.

If you guys would like to support my writing or just read ahead of the public release, you can head to my P*treon or Ko-fi, for upto 5 extra chapters.

Chapter 62 : The One with the SCIENCE! bros New

The Sage of the Mind: Chapter 62 [October 2010]

–Axle Riddle–

"So, you mean to say that if we didn't pull Baby Bruce out of there in 2 more months, the chances of Betty surviving would drop sharply?" He asked Bruce who looked heartbroken at the news. Bruce and Randall had been hard at work the past month, taking notes and resources from SHIELD and whats-his-face Billionaire to build anything that could help BEtty survive.

Fury had pulled in all the resources he could. Axle was somewhat surprised in the beginning when Fury didn't make any unreasonable, or any demands really when he agreed to help Banner. He brought in the best people from his organisation and from outside his organisation.

Helen Cho. He didn't expect her to be here considering her field was not really pregnancy related but she was apparently a licensed doctor and had some interesting ideas for making sure that Betty made it out of the experience.

Tony Stark had been called in as well but the man took one look at the setup, talked a bit with Bruce, and had immediately flown back to bring something. As it turned out, Tony had been hard at work, Tony was the one who built most of the equipment that was being used in one of the warehouses he had taken over, for the express purpose of fortifying it for Betty's pregnancy.

So far, combining the geniuses of all these three people, they had built machines and procedures that could work but nothing concrete at all. The baby was growing exponentially, estimated to pop out of Betty at just 5 months old, fully formed.

The problem was not the baby's size or anything, it was going to be normal sized, at 5 months anyway. The problem was the gamma radiation. Betty was being constantly subjected to it from inside for months.

He had still now shown Tony the subterranean Lair but the warehouse had a direct underground line built straight to the Highway tunnel. From the tunnel, they had a direct line to the Lair as well.

When he first showed Tony the huge tunnel he had built underground, his reaction was expected. After all, the man regularly hacked sensitive databases and his tunnel was hardly a secret so Tony knew about it but once he scanned the entire thing and realised the precision with which he had built a miles long tunnel without any outside help, he had been dumbfounded, not at the tunnel but the potential applications of his power.

"What does Betty have to say about this?" he asked Bruce who slumped even further.

"She wants to keep the baby, even if it does cost her own life," Bruce whispered. Welp, that complicated things.

"A C-Section? We have world class surgeons in New York," he offered, even though he had a hunch why that would not be feasible in Betty's case.

"Wouldn't work. The issue is not the baby, it would be irradiated tissue in Betty's body. We need something to purge all that radiation and nothing has been found that could absorb the radiation from inside Betty," Bruce said, frustrated at his failures.

"What about Vibranium?" He was just pulling at straws here, his limited mental capacity unable to think of anything else that could help.

Bruce's neck snapped up as his face, along with Randall's, gained that thoughtful look when they were doing some intense thinking.

"Micro fibers woven from Vibranium, carefully injected into various parts around Betty might help slow down the radiation poisoning," Randall said out loud.

"And once the baby is delivered, they could absorb the remaining radiation, leaving Betty's cells slightly damaged but nothing that can be immediately fatal," Bruce replied in turn.

Oh. So Vibranium could work then. But….

"But where would we even get Vibranium? That stuff was the rarest metal on the planet," Bruce whispered in defeat.

"Oh, don't you worry about that, Brucie bear. What am I here for then, huh? We SCIENCE! Bros gotta stick together, you know. I'll make a couple of calls and get us the Vibranium we need. If we weave it thin enough, we might be able to get by with a couple hundred grams as well. If the properties of Vibranium are as miraculous as I know they are, we can even siphon off the radiation from Betty accordingly," Tony said as he swooped in on the two geniuses discussing things with Axle.

"Oh. Heya Invisible Man. Kinda creepy of you to listen in on our conversation, don't you think?" Tony snarked at him as he looked straight up.

"Oh, like you haven't been trying to listen in with all the bugs you dropped around the place, Stark? You do realise why I didn't take you to the real base then?" He snarked back, his mind working in the background as he realised that the Vibranium plan might actually work.

If they could utilise it properly. He had no doubt that Tony would be able to source the Vibranium, especially since they needed so little of it but he should be able to use it properly.

Howard Stark had no other way of using the Vibranium so he built a shield with it, not understanding the miraculous properties of the cosmic metal. In fact, he had a hunch that the only reason Captain was allowed to keep the shield by the Wakandans was due to the fact that it was nothing but an over glorified frisbee, capable of devastating acts in the right hands but a frisbee nonetheless.

The only other people on the planet who knew best how to use Vibranium were Wakandans and lucky for him, for some reason probably related to him, Wakanda had opened a new embassy in New York, a little further away from Manhattan.

Now he was sure that it should have been at least a little suspicious that a tiny African country, which was poor by all measures, should not have been able to afford an embassy in New York of all places, especially with all the real estate inflation that had occurred ever since he became active in the area. And yet, there it was the Wakanda Embassy.

It was completely normal, as far as he could sense. Sure, it had all the digital doodads and everything but it was nowhere near as advanced as Wakanda could be. It made sense because they wouldn't want the outside world to know but he had a hunch that Wakanda specifically kept this place clean to avoid his gaze.

Well, if this idea of Tony was going to work, he needed additional information about Vibranium and how to better use it in this scenario.

Now all that was left was to approach the Wakandas and see if they were willing to help him out or if they were going to prove their stereotype that had formed in Fanon over the years.

He just hoped that T'Chaka didn't dismiss him outright. After all, he was landlocked to an area that was halfway across the world from Wakanda.

He would not be a threat anytime soon. But he didn't really have to go to Wakanda to threaten them, now did he?

Information was just as deadly as physical force these days.

Chapter 63 : The one with Wakandan Embassy New

The Sage of the Mind: Chapter 63 [October 2010]

–Axle Riddle–

He created his paper avatar in front of the Wakanda Embassy and had it slowly approach the gates of the Embassy. The guards in front of the embassy were understandably startled as they saw something straight out of a movie walking towards them.

One of them began speaking into his comms and the other one began approaching his paper avatar. He made sure that the paper avatar appeared as nonthreatening as possible. Just as the guard came into listening range, he activated the phone speaker inside the head of the avatar, speaking, "Greetings. I am the Invisible Man. This is a temporary avatar I have created to interact with you. Can you take me to meet the head of the Embassy?"

The guard who was speaking in the comms looked like he had heard something surprising and came running toward the paper avatar.

"Yes. She will meet you now. This way, please," The guards then escorted him inside the embassy. It looked quite ordinary with loads of diplomats walking around, handling paperwork. Of course, he could see them for what they really were instead of the facade they were trying to build around him.

The calluses on their hands, the musculature, and the hidden weapons all pointed towards most of the Embassy being actually warriors, instead of diplomats. One such clue was one of the so-called diplomats actually holding the paper upside down as they discussed with each other the Wakandan Textile policy and import agreements with some private corporations in the US.

He wouldn't be surprised if said private company in the US was owned by Wakanda itself. Honesty, with the amount of power they had, they could have easily pervaded every single hall of power in the world, be it through soft power, military strength, or just by providing information.

There were a lot of ways that Wakanda must have involved themselves in the world economy. He actually refused to believe that an advanced civilisation actually just closed themselves from the world, not even deigning to maintain an active presence in key industries of the outside world.

If he was the head of Wakanda, he would, firstly, control the Oil trades, and then control the demographic population of the most powerful democracy on the planet. Those two things alone would have allowed Wakanda to subtly direct any entity that came too close to Wakanda, and that too with ease.

Some country uncovering their involvement? Bomb Them. Drop WMD accusations and flatten the country, then extract their resources.

Now, this was heinous but it was not as if Wakanda was above such acts if it suited them just fine. Murdering scientists who came too close to them in technological superiority, just rubbed him the wrong way.

If he had it his way, he would not interact with Wakanda, not unless T'Challa himself had become King. The business with Killmonger was nasty business but that was what convinced T'Challa to open up Wakanda to the rest of the world, something that was sorely needed because if T'Challa didn't do it, Wakanda as a nation would not have existed in a century at most.

At most, it would have remained as the name of the Vibtranium mine on the planet.

So, he watched as the Embassy head, an unassuming black woman cleared her desk and waited for his avatar to arrive, even though she must know that he could sense her at this moment as well.

Now, he knew that she was a warrior through and through as well. The Wig told him that she was probably a part of the Dora Milaje but he had no way of confirming that.

Well, all of that could be done later on. He was here for help and might as well go along with the charade. Othersei, he would have just flexed his powers, and then the information he had on Wakanda and then gotten things done.

That was still not out of the picture though. Depends on the attitude and stubbornness of the Embassy head. If T'Chaka himself had placed her here, she must have some level of authority to promise something. Vibranium distribution would be out of her hands, undoubtedly, but knowledge on how to use Vibranium might be a little in reach of her.

"Greetings. I am the Invisible Man, as you must know. I am here for something that only Wakanda can provide,"

His statement tensed a lot of people in the building. Well, it was clear that everyone in the building was hearing his conversation, ready to do..what exactly?

Did they not know he was not here in person at all? Nothing their Vibranium weapons could hurt was here. His physical body, enhanced as it was, would also be instantly punctured by Vibteranium spears but that was a question for later.

"What can I do for the illustrious hero of New York?"

He had to hand it to the woman. She was tense, that much was obvious from the increased heart rate but outwardly? Nothing could be seen on her face or even in her body language.

For this, he dismantled the phone entirely. What if SHIELD was listening in and in trying to get Wakanda as an ally, he ended up revealing its existence to SHIELD, or worse, SHIELDRA.

"I know about the hidden city. The Birnin Zana," The much deeper voice spoke in the office of the Embassy and this time, there was a number of stiffenings in the Embassy before all of them began rushing towards the top floor, only to be stopped by somebody ordering them.

"I see. Can I ask how you came in possession of such dangerous knowledge?" She asked him as she leaned forward at her desk.

"That is not of importance as of now. As I am sure you know from your WarDog channels, Bruce Banner, along with Betty Ross, are having a baby,"

"Yes, I have heard of the Gamma-baby. Give them my congratulations,"

"Yeah, I guess. For that to happen, we need to deliver the baby safely. Now, Gamma Radiation is tricky to work with, especially since Betty wants to have the baby. For safe removal of the Gamma radiation, we need the one miracle metal that can absorb any and all types of energies safely,"

"Vibranium. You want our Vibranium?"

Now that triggered her for some reason. Well, it must be genetically encoded in them by now. NO VIBRANIUM TO OUTSIDERS.

Especially to the people who looked like the colonisers.

"No, we will get the Vibranium on our own. I just need to know how to mould the Vibranium into thin enough fibres so that the excess Gamma radiation given off by the baby can be absorbed by the Vibtranium instead of Betty's body."

"....That…is certainly better than Vibraniumm but I cannot make that decision just now,"

'That's fine. You can tell me in a week's time. Tell T'Chaka that I have some information about his long lost Brother. I am willing to trade it for the information," He said his piece and dismantled his paper avatar.

Then he watched her calmly look around the room and tell her assistant to schedule a flight straight to Wakanda.

Well, he expected more panicking and running around like a headless chicken from her but she was made of sterner stuff.

_______xx______

He knew something was wrong when Fury didn't say anything but just did what was required when he was informed about the possibility of a baby Hulk roaming around. Tony, he could understand, the man had no fear of consequences, especially since he knew that the majority of the blame was going to be dumped on top of a single head.

Him. The Invisible Man.

So, as Helen Cho, along with Bruce and an armada of SHIELD scientists worked on the cradle that would eventually house Betty and then give birth to the gamma baby, he was called into a meeting with Fury and Tony, of all people.

The meeting was deliberately kept away from Bruce and everyone else, for reasons he was about to come to know.

"Well, I was wondering when you would call me, Director Fury," He, or rather his paper avatar said as they sat down in the SHIELD safehouse in Manhattan, the Random Beautiful Agent given reprieve for the day. He could spy her drinking very sugary drinks in one of the cafes just a couple blocks from the SHIELD safehouse.

Well…good for her?

"Uh-huh. Now, can either one of you tell me, the actual chances of the Hulk having a baby and not rampaging around the most prosperous area in the world," Fury asked as he pinned Stark down with a glare. Of course, Tony looked as unphased as ever as he removed his phone and placed it down on the table in front of him.

Now this is where things got a little tricky for him. He could sense holograms as objects but it took a little more focus to interpret them. So, he had to flood his presence in the safe house for him to accurately get all the inputs.

Tony's phone projected a hologram about the cradle they were building. Vibranium, as was expected, was taking longer than expected to secure. Tony had a small cache of his own but he was understandably loathe to take it out of his experiments. He would use it if the leads didn't pan out though.

"If the cradle works properly, and it will, Betty will survive the pregnancy, as well the child but the long term damages are still unknown. As such, we cannot be sure for how long Betty will be alive but she will be alive to see the baby,"

"I see. Have you told Banner that?"

"No, but he knows. I can tell," Tony said in a serious voice, the gravity of the situation dawning on him as well.

"And you," Fury rounded on the phone floating in mid air.

"Yes?"

"Sigh, Nothing. Just tell me what you need. Also, there is a rally next month in New York. The President's coming. He wants to meet,"

Oh?
"Sure, just tell him he will receive the same paper treatment,"

"...Fine.."

Ah, frustrating Fury was a very good hobby of his, in his opinion.

Chapter 64.1 : Wakanda POV New

The Sage of the Mind: Chapter 64.1 [August 2010]

Birnin Zana, Wakanda

–King T'Chaka–

For months, it has been like this.

Ever since T'Challa came back from his education in the United States, he had been confessing having some ideas that he wanted to implement when he became King. Ideas that were dangerously similar to what his brother had.

That brought another pang of sadness in his heart as he thought of ways he could have handled that night differently. The brother in him mourned the loss of the one who he grew up with but the King in him would have done the exact same thing, given the chance. It was actually the most practical option.

No chances of any civil war, no chances of that dangerous ideology spreading to the higher ups in Wakanda, and no chances of the outside world coming to know about them. Just kill his brother, plain and simple.

However, similar words were now coming out of T'Challa's mouth as he recounted the plans he wanted to enact to help the outside population, irrespective of their race, creed, religion, etc. He didn't think that his son would be so naive but he consoled himself by telling himself that once the burden of becoming King was transferred to T'Challa, he would eventually learn the perils that came with such naive ideas.

For the time being though, he was an old man barely clinging to his post with the help of his old loyal followers, one who didn't want to sour his relationship with his eldest son, so he began humouring T'Challa.

"So, what would be the first step for this? Baby step, I mean," He asked T'Challa who gained a thoughtful look at the question, Little Shuri looking curiously at her elder brother and then her father, the mere sight of that enough to melt his heart.

"An Embassy."

He raised an eyebrow and gestured for T'Challa to continue explaining.

"An embassy, right in New York. A Wakandan Embassy would allow us to establish a legitimate foothold in the heart of the American Economy. This would allow us to learn more and adapt our plans accordingly," T'Chlla said with passion in his voice as he dug into his food with gusto.

He internally mulled the idea and wasn't really opposed to it that much.

"Oh? New York? Is that the same one where the Invisible Man resides, brother?" Shuri asked T'Challa, always having been interested in the special anomaly of New York that was the Invisible Man.

"Yes, little Shuri. The Invisible Man operates in most of New York, with MAnhattan being his base of operations for some reason. We will not be opening the embassy there anyway so that should be fine," T'Challa immediately began peppering Shuri with all the little anecdotes he had about the rise of the Invisible Man in New York and the subsequent fall of crimes, hunger in the same area.

When they had first learned about this person, more than two years back, his WarDogs had dismissed it as nothing but the ramblings of crazy people, not allowing themselves to believe in someone outside Wakanda possessing such powers.

Only for that misconception to fade away over time as more and more incidents kept happening, eventually leading to the entirety of Manhattan being sealed away, for criminals.

Aside from white collar criminals making that place their secure base of operations, no crime of any sort happened in that place anymore, so much so that people began leaving their babies unattended for short periods of time, something that would have been unthinkable a short few years back.

"So, Father, who will go as the Embassy head? Because we don't actually have any need for the Embassy, we can just make a sham one, without any of our technology and send in some WarDogs to pose as embassy staff. No need to tip off the Invisible Man about our existence, right?"

He nodded, pleased that T'Challa was at least aware of the dangers that would befall Wakanda should the world come to know about their true civilization.

"Still, the Invisible Man, huh? Father, what are the chances of some other god aside from Base having blessed someone who went on to become this Invisible Man?"

He looked up from his meal, suddenly not having the appetite as T'Challa's question fully registered in his mind.

What if that really was the truth?

No. he couldn't think like that. It was almost blasphemy in his opinion.

"No need to think of such things. It is most likely another American science experiment that went wrong, just like the Hulk," He told T'Challa and gestured for the attendant to begin cleaning the table.

"Yeah, you could be right. Still, the sheer strength that Dr.Banner wields in that form, I don't think there is anything that I can do to harm his alter ego." T'Challa admitted to him, making him feel proud at seeing him admit that even the Black Panther had its own limits.

"Relax, T'Challa. You will be King. You will never be alone. The might of the entire country will be standing behind you, nothing and no one should be able to phase you,"

"You are right, Father. Thank you for that,"

Still, T'Challa's thoughts were correct. The sheer destruction the beast caused was a sight to behold. He was akin to a force of nature, not slowed down by anything that man could throw at it. Just drop the best in an active war zone and just see the slaughter happen. No gun, no missile, no grenade, and nothing was able to stop the Hulk's charge as he escaped through the base and then settled down in Manhattan, under the protection of an even bigger Monster.

The thought of someone being able to maintain near omnipresence in a city the size of New York while also actively acting using telekinetic powers, was bone chilling.

He had already ordered this Invisible Man to be properly investigated but aside from some people he regularly interacted with, there was nothing that could determine the identity of the Invisible Man or if he even had an identity or not.

For all they knew, the Invisible Man, while a very stupid name, might actually be incorporeal.

"Alright, I have a meeting. I will see you all at dinner," He said and then headed straight to the Throne Room.

Sigh, he couldn't wait to hand over this burden to T'Challa and then watch, relaxed, from the sidelines.

[October 2010]

This was a disaster.

The Stark Expo, that is.

Now he was glad that he didn't send T'Challa or Bast forbid, Shuri who was pestering him to get tickets for the Stark Expo, the biggest Tech Expo that the outside world had hosted in years.

The Expo also gave them a lot of intel on how the Invisible Man operates. The WarDogs already had a theory but it is now confirmed that there are some limits as to how much power the Invisible Man could exert over a specific area.

According to the theory proposed by his team, one that he was inclined to believe, the Invisible Man was actually somehow geo constrained, meaning he had a fixed range of influence.

While they believed it was still growing, the outermost edges would be the areas where he would be able to exert the least amount of power.

Basically, the closer the area is to Manhattan, the more power he could exert.

For example, in the Stark Expo, at the calculated edge of his range, he was unable to directly crush the robots that were attacking people. No, he had to fling around some enhanced people that could crush the robots with ease.

On the opposite end of this spectrum was a building that was scheduled for demolition. For some reason, the demolition didn't happen properly and the building was about to tip over to the building next to it.

It almost happened when as if an Invisible Hand held it, the crash stopped, the building was then turned to fine powder and then that same powder was deposited at the base of the building, showcasing the sheer power and fine control the Invisible Man had in areas.

The Council was abuzz with the display of power and how to deal with the new threat when a guard walked into the room with an official message.

"My King, we have a message from the Embassy in New York,"

His eyebrows rose as a hologram appeared with her on it.

The second most troublesome figure in all of Wakanda, after the Jabari.

Jeda.

Sister of Ramnoda, and the fiercest warrior in all of Wakanda.

Chapter 64.2 : Wakanda POV New

The Sage of the Mind: Chapter 64.2 [October 2010]

Birnin Zana, Wakanda

–King T'Chaka–

When he thought of Jega, he thought of the one person who could even best the Black Panther in one to one combat, purely on the basis of her skills alone. In fact, it had not even been months since she was in the Royal Academy, handling T'Challa's ass to him every other day without even being enhanced by the Heart-Shaped Herb.

In fact, she was a very strong contender to become the Black Panther as well. Traditionally, the Black Panther was always a man but they had evolved past such petty gender discrimination. No, the discrimination was not because she was a woman, but because she was not the King or a member of the direct line of the King.

Since history has been recorded in Wakanda, the Black Panther has either been the King or the King's son, or brother. That's it. It made sense because the Black Panther was supposed to be the pinnacle of the Kingdom's fighting power and the way each King wanted to keep that power in their control meant that there was little chance of someone not from the King's family becoming the Black Panther.

Even if the candidate was as deserving, if not more so than T'Challa himself. There was no doubt in his mind whether Bast would accept Jeda or not and yet, he could not bring himself to give her the permission to undergo the trial.

While it would throw some of the priests into disarray at seeing two Black Panthers alive at the same, he could have worded it so that it could provide more protection to Wakanda in these changing times, citing the Hulk and the Invisible Man as reasons.

It could have been done, with little political backlash and a bit more cultural backlash, not that the Priests had much power in how the country was run and who was made King.

But there was a single reason why she was not made Black Panther and was instead sent off to New York to head the so-called Embassy project of T'Challa.

Her mindset.

When she had begun her stint in the WarDogs to go see the outside world and serve her country, she had been of the same mind as him, and most of the other WarDogs. She knew that Wakanda needed to hide itself from the world, lest human greed destroy Wakanda as they knew it.

And yet…

As she went on mission after mission, saw the plight of the world, and saw the state of the Continent they were living in, her thoughts began changing. The change didn't happen overnight but over the years, as she performed admirably in the WarDods, successfully carrying out missions in all the countries they maintained a presence in.

Thankfully, nothing as extreme as his brother but she began voicing out her thoughts, of helping the suffering people openly, to create a solid presence that would deter the evildoers of the world from committing any more atrocities on their people. She wanted Wakanda to take over the African Continent and form a new power bloc over the most resource rich place that was still mostly unexplored and completely governmentless.

He had to actually take her off the roster for her own safety as the higher ups of the WarDogs had begun taking notice of her rebellious thoughts. He had to do something before some of the elders on the council did.

That was two years ago, when she had been relieved of her duty and had chosen to take teaching at the Royal Academy where she regularly humbled all the top students with contemptuous ease, including T'Challa who came to visit sometimes and was the only one capable of holding his own against the dreaded Combat Instructor at the Royal Academy.

Even there, she did not stop expressing her borderline treasonous thoughts to anybody who would listen. She understood her position as the only sister to the Queen and thus did not abuse the privileges that came with that by trying to enact any official changes with her authority but she did try to spread her dangerous ideology in the Academy as well, irking many of the seniors at the Academy.

This prompted him to move her to the outside. The Embassy idea from T'Challa simply came at the right time.

Now, it would seem that the decision to do so, hoping that nothing important would happen and she would be safe and sound outside the Kingdom was naive then, as he watched the hologram of her appear.

"My King, I was just contacted with the elusive Invisible Man," SHe began and the entire council, which had not paid attention to her, snapped to attention. It was natural as the Invisible Man was a point of quiet interest in the Kingdom as whole.

The scientists had found out that the sphere of influence of the Invisible Man continued to expand, day by day. In small incremental amounts, they calculated that he would be able to cover the entire city of New York and then eventually its surrounding areas in less than a decade.

There was a chance that his reach might expand beyond the country as well, though that was assuming that he didn't have any real limits, and even the most optimistic of the scientists said that it was almost impossible for the invisible Man to reach Wakanda.

Still, they had begun researching ways on how to hide Wakanda from the prying gaze of the Invisible Man, should he come near Wakanda, even if by accident because nobody really knew how the Invisible Man looked or who he really was.

"Speak," He ordered her, understanding the gravity of the situation.

'Yes, he alluded to knowing about Birnin Zana. He knew about the Vibranium and about the country,"

The entire council erupted in loud noises at that. The mere thought of an outsider, much less one of the most dangerous ones at that, was disturbing on so many levels, that it weighed heavily on his heart.

"Quiet!" He told the council before turning to the hologram.

"Get yourself out of there as soon as you can. We cannot risk you with–"

"Already done, My King. I am in the car, heading to the airport. I have already scheduled pickup from Johannesburg airport," She said as she sent him multiple reports about the whole encounter.

He sighed in relief when she told him that she had removed herself from the dangerous situation.

"Very well. What did he want?"

"I assume you know about Bruce Banner and his baby?"

He nodded at that piece of information. It was surprisingly easy to maintain tabs on Bruce Banner as well as the seven brothers, even with the WarDogs residing inside Manhattan. All they had to do was not perform violent acts and not be over the top in their surveillance efforts, to safeguard themselves from the wrath of the Invisible Man. As long as they didn't break any laws, like breaking and entering or stealing, they were fine.

"Well, the baby, as the nerds had predicted, is already showing signs of complications. Apparently, they have figured out a solution to deal with all the Gamma Radiation, one that involved Vibranium,"

There was a pin drop silence in the room as he processed the information. So, they needed Vibtranium then? The question was, did he cooperate to not only save a innocent life but also gain the favour of the two undisputedly strongest beings on the planet?

'Maybe even as strong as Bast herself' he didn't let his treasonous thoughts appear on his face.

"And no, they don't need the Vibranium," His neck snapped up at that, "--they need the Vibranium to be woven into thin enough strands that they can absorb all that Gamma Radiation from the woman's body without harming her or the baby. They need to know how to do that," She finished.

Well, that certainly made things easier. Still wouldn't get past the council but it was for good reason then that they were not King. Before he could tell her that he was Agreeing to it though, she dropped another bomb.

"The Invisible Man said that he had information on Prince N'Jobu. He was willing to trade that information for the knowledge," She finished her report.

He maintained a facade of calm on the outside even though he was freaking out inside, his mind reeling from the fact that this person somehow had information about his dead brother. Out of love and hoping that Wakanda didn't remember his brother as a traitor to the country, he had just labelled his brother as Missing in Action, and never really bothered to declare him dead, even though it was common consensus that after all this time, his brother was most probably dead.

Could this Invisible Man be bluffing? Hoping that he would take the bait and give the information?

There was only one way to know..

"Jeda, return to Wakanada. I will have someone else deliver the information. Your safety is paramount,"

"Yes, my King," She took the dismissal and shut down the video call.

The moment the hologram faded away, the council turned to him, no doubt ready to voice out their complaints about the decision but the memories of that tragic night made him lose his already sparse patience.

"Enough! I am King and this is my decision. Sacrificing a little bit of information in exchange for the possible favour of two of the strongest beings on the planet is a profitable deal, no matter how you look at it. We will speak no more about this, that is an order!" His outburst clearly left them unbalanced.

"Dismissed!" He said as the council, although shaken, left the room, and the Dora Milaje followed later on.

His shoulders slumped in defeat as he leaned into his uncomfortable throne, as soon as the room was empty and he had some privacy.

By Bast, he was too old for this shit.

Being a king is like being a babysitter, except that this job does not last a normal working day and any problem that arises if you do it wrong costs a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back