• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Video Games General

Can I just say that this is fucking awesome.
It may in fact be one of the most awesome things I've heard of a game publisher doing. I can't imagine that the North American export market is big enough for Banpresto to recoup their expenses on this translation. They might have been doing it for English-speakers in other Asian countries like Singapore but still, what a thing to do.

The new Persona dancing games were released and I just want to mention the P5 Last Surprise is hilarious risque.

It must be Joker's palace.

So I didn't look much into an upcoming crossover indie fighting game, Blade Strangers, but the characters available are making me go 'whaaaat?'.

Cave story. Who rememebr this? Who played it? Well, Quote and Curly are in there.

Then Shovel Knight is there too!

Isaac from The Binding of Isaac is also in the rooster!

Gunvolt too (Azure Striker Gunvolt).

What kind of person imagined picking all those guys for a fighting game anyway?!

Cave Story is my first Indy game.

Also, holy crap ! Shovel Knight is BUFF.

And then you remember that he's super short compared to the other NPCs in his world. Hell, Shield Knight is full head taller then him. What is she, a giant ?!

Paradox games are too damn badly optimized. I've been playing CK2 on a laptop that should on-paper be able to handle the game comfortable, with 0.7GHz of processor clock left over.
What I find is that usage sticks to one processor core of four and a hell of a lot of computation gets dumped onto the GPU - which causes heating and in the long run can brick a PC.
The games are beautiful, but goddamn does the hardware management suck.

Paradox games are too damn badly optimized. I've been playing CK2 on a laptop that should on-paper be able to handle the game comfortable, with 0.7GHz of processor clock left over.
What I find is that usage sticks to one processor core of four and a hell of a lot of computation gets dumped onto the GPU - which causes heating and in the long run can brick a PC.
Try to look if the game you're trying to play has a modding community. If it does, someone has probably already created a patch.

Try to look if the game you're trying to play has a modding community. If it does, someone has probably already created a patch.
Checked. There are mods that cut down on AI complexity and calculation number, running it smoother - but that makes the AI and game far, far 'stupider', as it were. The hardware management part is a function of the game engine, and that can't be fucked with. :(

If it's sticking to 1 cpu, it's 99.999% likely that it cannot be fixed by mods. The game's code needs to be written in a specific way in order to take advantage of multiple cores.

Checked. There are mods that cut down on AI complexity and calculation number, running it smoother - but that makes the AI and game far, far 'stupider', as it were. The hardware management part is a function of the game engine, and that can't be fucked with. :(

The GPU doing the calculations is a good thing; if you can't run CK2 your laptop is underpowered.

If it's sticking to 1 cpu, it's 99.999% likely that it cannot be fixed by mods. The game's code needs to be written in a specific way in order to take advantage of multiple cores.

They'd need to make the AI multithreaded which would... well, it would require some magic.

The GPU doing the calculations is a good thing; if you can't run CK2 your laptop is underpowered.
Recommended 2GB graphics memory and I've got four. Have a higher GPU clock than recommended as well. I see very little issues with my hardware here, at least as per Paradox's specs. And they are the game maker after all.

Seriously ? Why the hell would a studio who specialize in 4X games, which get pretty beastly fast, use such an engine ?

Also, holy crap ! Shovel Knight is BUFF.

And then you remember that he's super short compared to the other NPCs in his world. Hell, Shield Knight is full head taller then him. What is she, a giant ?!

Looks like Shovel Knight seems to be into Amazons.
Ugh, the hours I sunk into that game only to leave frustrated and disappointed. Title of Uxion's Sex Tape #26

Honestly, even with my main tower, CK gets really laggy. It's one of the reasons why I stopped playing it.

Seriously ? Why the hell would a studio who specialize in 4X games, which get pretty beastly fast, use such an engine ?
Who knows, probably due to licensing or lack of better options, or just pure lack of interest of changing.

Bethesda keeps using the Gamesbyro engine which they spit and shined to the Creation Engine.

They'd need to make the AI multithreaded which would... well, it would require some magic.
You'd need a mod that patches the executable.

Regular mods aren't working with full access to all the system functions (which you need in order to create child processes, which you need in order to multithread), but with, at best, a heavily restricted script language that's being interpreted by the game.

So you'd need to patch the executable so that there are new functions for that script language that do those stuff, and for the game engine to bridge those functions into system calls. Then you need to rewrite the AI to use those new functions.

And that's only if you're lucky and you can edit the AI that heavily, on many games much of it is hardcoded. To make those hardcoded parts multithreaded is even harder, requiring you to edit a whole lot more of the executable to make it happen.

Recommended 2GB graphics memory and I've got four. Have a higher GPU clock than recommended as well. I see very little issues with my hardware here, at least as per Paradox's specs. And they are the game maker after all.

*rubs face*

Yes, and you can clock a GTX 580 to 2ghz and it would still be slower than a gtx 1070.

clock speed is only equivalent to performance with the same GPU

*rubs face*

Yes, and you can clock a GTX 580 to 2ghz and it would still be slower than a gtx 1070.

clock speed is only equivalent to performance with the same GPU
I have not only quoted the clock speed. I have not overclocked. I have excess graphics memory as far as the game specs are concerned. I have a more up to date card than the game requires.
So no, I really don't think that it's my GPU at fault.

I have not only quoted the clock speed. I have not overclocked. I have excess graphics memory as far as the game specs are concerned. I have a more up to date card than the game requires.
So no, I really don't think that it's my GPU at fault.

*googles the recommended specs*

Could be driver related, the game is really damn old after all.

And on the CPU side... ya, no shit it's locked to one core; it was made with the pentium fucking 4 in mind.

Wow, big week for game news and controversies.

For anyone who's been snoozing since Wednesday or so we got big news from The Pokemon Company and Bethesda about the next Pokemon and Fallout games, with more info promised for E3.

And in less than 24 hours the hype trains on both of these games turned into controversies because of course they did the internet can ruin anything. Pokemon fans are bummed about Let's Go being too casual and having Go integration instead of being the next big main line Pokemon game and 4chan "leaks" (read: baseless fearmongering for the lulz) are claiming that Bethesda is going to try to kill external mods and force everyone to use the Creation Club so they can monetize mod support and ban adult mods and stuff.

Last edited:
Huh, well then on pokemon.

I hope more information comes out otherwise when I get a switch I'm just buying over the coarse of a few months to a year breath of the wild, hyrule warriors, warrior orochi 3, code of princess, Shining Resonance Refrain, and the megaman collection.

Probably mario kart too because it feels wrong not to have a mario game on a nintendo console.

-edit-

Wasn't there a metroid game too?

Wow, big week for game news and controversies.

For anyone who's been snoozing since Wednesday or so we got big news from The Pokemon Company and Bethesda about the next Pokemon and Fallout games, with more info promised for E3.

And in less than 24 hours the hype trains on both of these games turned into controversies because of course they did the internet can ruin anything. Pokemon fans are bummed about Let's Go being too casual and having Go integration instead of being the next big main line Pokemon game and 4chan "leaks" (read: baseless fearmongering for the lulz) are claiming that Bethesda is going to try to kill external mods and force everyone to use the Creation Club so they can monetize mod support and ban adult mods and stuff.
Looks like it's just a remake of Red/Blue with Pokemon Go stuff added in. It certainly looks like it's set in Kanto, at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back