• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Video Games General

Well, Steam just completely broke controller support, apparently. Even games that are supposed to support my PS4 controller now don't think I'm using it, and trying to re-align buttons in Steam Input... well, it's interpreting both my X and Square keys as Left Trigger, so I can't re-set them to the proper buttons.

In other words, it is, for the moment, completely fucked.
I'm impressed you managed to get the games to show the inputs as playstation rather than xbox. Because I cannot figure out how to fix that. Please explain?
Impressive.

Remember the TF2's Hat Incident?
Oh yeah, where all the rare hats were no longer so rare because... I think there was an issue with the spawn-rate of keys and suddenly everyone had enough to open all their backlog of chests and more?

I'm impressed you managed to get the games to show the inputs as playstation rather than xbox. Because I cannot figure out how to fix that. Please explain?

I think you're confused. Button inputs per game are per game. Some have various controller options, some don't, and they're all in different places. If they pull from what Steam sees your controller as... I think you might be able to alter that in controller settings?

If it's recent, it might be tied to the same clusterfuck I'm dealing with and we just have to wait for them to pull their heads out of their asses.

Steam is reading the inputs on my physical controller incorrectly. SteamInput, which I was using to try and alter the control settings in hope the games would take it, shows controls based on the Steam Controller.

Hey folks, since the Steam sales are up I'm looking for recommendations. I'm mostly looking for power fantasy RPGs where the game's characters (especially the villains) treat me as 'The Dreaded'

Idk, I just want to play a nice long game where I'm basically Darth Vader.

Any ideas?

Hey folks, since the Steam sales are up I'm looking for recommendations. I'm mostly looking for power fantasy RPGs where the game's characters (especially the villains) treat me as 'The Dreaded'

Idk, I just want to play a nice long game where I'm basically Darth Vader.

Any ideas?
It's less of an RPG per-say and more of a Hack-And-Slash with some RTS elements in a similar vein as Brutal Legend, but as far as the general aesthetic you're describing goes, I've got to recommend the Overlord series. It's basically all about you playing as Not!Sauron being resurrected by his minions after a previous defeat at the hands of some do-gooder heroes, and striving to reconquer and corrupt the land. The entire franchise is currently on sale on Steam for about five dollars and change, so if you want to check it out, now's as good a time as any.

If only that game didn't end on a cliffhanger.
It's less of an RPG per-say and more of a Hack-And-Slash with some RTS elements in a similar vein as Brutal Legend, but as far as the general aesthetic you're describing goes, I've got to recommend the Overlord series. It's basically all about you playing as Not!Sauron being resurrected by his minions after a previous defeat at the hands of some do-gooder heroes, and striving to reconquer and corrupt the land. The entire franchise is currently on sale on Steam for about five dollars and change, so if you want to check it out, now's as good a time as any.
I remember Overlord. That was a pretty fun series. I remember it being pretty satirical though. Ehh, I'll give it a look.

Got past the part of Half Life 2: Episode 2 I was stuck on before. Not sure WHY I was stuck- maybe because I'm playing it on easy? Or did I still have it set to normal? Is it because I can somewhat use cover better in VR? I'm not sure. The Hunters more or less seemed to Insta-Rape me when I first played it, so I'm not sure what the difference is.

I think I'd just dealt with the first encounter with the worm when I saved and quit...

...won't lie and say the tentacle wasn't a little hot, if it wouldn't have obviously resulted in sudden death instead of sexy throatfucking.

So since I had a joke about Blood Bowl in another thread I am actually thinking about it again, is Blood Bowl 3 better than 2? I haven't looked into the game much, so is it a worthwhile purchase for someone who doesn't give a crap about season passes or ranked multiplayer and that sort of nonsense.

So if you were only going to get one of them from the Steam Sale, would it be Elden Ring or Baldur's Gate?

Welp beat BG2 just need to do Throne of Bhaal next then I really hit BG3.

I really loved the underdark bits. It's amazing how much damage two sets of fake dragon eggs can do. Even the Demon thought it was funny.

So, among other things, I got Super Mario RPG Remake for Christmas.

Slight dropped ball on the specials- could've had SOME kind of single-character individualized bonus effect instead of just Toad, so it's not barely-useful before Rose Town and Geno.

Combo persisting between battles is pretty nice.

THERE IS A HIT TRAINER! A reactive one- you're hitting the timing, it vanishes after a few successes. You fail a few times, it reappears. It's fantastic! Even works on defense.

Could you not defend from AoE attacks in the original? I never seemed able to, and I'm guessing that's why. The Remake not only points that out, but shows 'cannot defend!' whenever an AoE happens so you're not raging at the buttons. It's nice.

Timing seems a bit more generous than before- but the attacks seem to come out faster so you have less time to execute, so it kinda balances out. Plus the Perfect Timing option that does splash damage is indeed harder to get.

Boss HP seems like it's been reduced though- at least they seem to die quicker than I recall. Probably jacked it back up for the bonus fights at least, so there's that.

Motion seems... off. In the original, when you ran, it felt like you were going F A S T. In the Remake, it's set to run by default, and use the shoulder buttons to walk- or you can swap that. But running doesn't feel as fast. Might just be me.

No real complaints so far. Just beat Claymorton (forget his name in the original- sword guy in Mushroom Kingdom) and it's onto the Kero Sewers next- where the game actually got challenging before, at least on my first few playthroughs. We'll see.

Do you know if Jump is still OP as the original or did it get nerfed?

No idea just yet. I know they let the Geno Whirl working on the giant sword glitch stay in.

I don't remember Jump being OP though, never used it like that myself.
It was glitch or intentional mechanic that had each jump do about .1% more damage each time you used Jump in your play-through, a very minor thing but one that would endlessly stack.

The one from the late 2000s? The one that was part of a trio of BK tie-in promo games?

Yeah, from my understanding while they can be a bit BS with the difficulty balance at times, they aren't bad games. Plus, while the boxes said they were 360 games, turns out they also had a version for the original Xbox on disc... which is what screwed over the original plans to make them XBLA releases.

(What? A LPer/streamer I watch played through all of Sneak King back in October '21, so I kinda know the quality and some of the background.)

Food tie-in games have no right to be entertaining and yet it is.
I remember when Postopia used to be a thing. Literally a website full of cereal tie in games (you could even use codes from buying cereal for in game perks) that had a lot of Hanna Barbera games on them like the Flintstones. Lotta good games there.

So I'm near the end(I think) of BG2 Throne of Bhaal and Eliminster just showed up and admitted that even he would not dare try to fight me. I'll admit my DnD lore isn't that good but I know Eliminster is something of a big deal. Umm, exactly how big a deal is it that he thinks that fighting me is a stupid idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back