• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Watched threads not showing up in my alerts

Winnie-the-Pooh

I trust you know where the happy button is?
A bunch of watched threads aren't showing up in my alerts. I haven't been able to find a pattern, and I don't really know what else to tell you that might help solve it.

Let me know if you have any questions, I guess.

Last edited:
That's what happens whenever you miss an update. The algorithm just assumes that you're not interested anymore so ut doesn't alert you.
Except, I'm watching the thread, so it should show up on my alerts. If there is truly an algorithm that does that, I think it's a mistake.

Plus, I know for a fact that there are several threads that I have "watched", and even though I never read them, the updates still show up.

Except, I'm watching the thread, so it should show up on my alerts. If there is truly an algorithm that does that, I think it's a mistake.

Plus, I know for a fact that there are several threads that I have "watched", and even though I never read them, the updates still show up.

Well that wasn't an established fact ir anything. This is just my current reality on QQ.

If you have unread posts on a thread, you won't get alerts for most people posting in the thread but you will get an alert if the OP makes a threadmarked post (or a particularly long post, not sure what the exact threshold to trigger it is, but it seems to require at least a few hundred words)

If you have unread posts on a thread, you won't get alerts for most people posting in the thread but you will get an alert if the OP makes a threadmarked post (or a particularly long post, not sure what the exact threshold to trigger it is, but it seems to require at least a few hundred words)
I have my alerts set up to only show me OP posts, yet I found out that I haven't been getting updates for some threads.

Same issue with alerts here.

I have a bunch of stories watched and some of them just do not show up in my alerts when they update. And the only way to fix it was to manually unwatch the thread and set it to watched again.

For example, "A Nascent Kaleidoscope" by AStoryForOne stopped showing up in my alerts since this Monday, while I saw it being updated earlier and seen that there were updates on fanfiction.net.

Same happened with 2 stories by 0Jordinio0 and other authors.

The only way I can even know that some of them updated was because I was looking for other stories to read and decided to check out already watched threads to see if there's some info on the delay, only to find a bunch of nee chapters that just never showed up in my alerts.

Any idea why this is going on and how to fix it?

That's what happens whenever you miss an update. The algorithm just assumes that you're not interested anymore so ut doesn't alert you.

Nope. That should not be an issue. It's not up to an algorithm to decide anything. Also, not how it works. Like i mentioned above AStoryForOne's story juts up and stopped showing up in my alerts even though I read every new chapter

I think I may be on the other end of this problem, though I can't prove it because I only have my own account to go on. But I noticed under my profile, under "postings," my last post is May 5th, even though I just posted a threadmarked update on my story earlier today. Moreover, my post today doesn't seem to register in search results. Entering "Miami" or "Ksenia" in search doesn't bring up my post, as if it doesn't exist.

In other words, my new chapter exists, but lacks any "archival presence" or whatever. If the post doesn't come up in my posting history or in search results, it doesn't seem much of a stretch to suspect it wouldn't ping watched thread alerts either.

Last edited:
I think I may be on the other end of this problem, though I can't prove it because I only have my own account to go on. But I noticed under my profile, under "postings," my last post is May 5th, even though I just posted a threadmarked update on my story earlier today. Moreover, my post today doesn't seem to register in search results. Entering "Miami" or "Ksenia" in search doesn't bring up my post, as if it doesn't exist.

In other words, my new chapter exists, but lacks any "archival presence" or whatever. If the post doesn't come up in my posting history or in search results, it doesn't seem much of a stretch to suspect it wouldn't ping watched thread alerts either.
I've noticed this has happened to Cherico and Ideas-Guy most recent chapters too. I got a alert, but the chapter isn't showing up on their Postings tab. Very odd.

I'm also noticing some weirdness like JMHthe3rd and Oglymogly. I see alerts pop up, but if I look at the author's posts on their profile or do a search for all of their forum posts, the most recent one is more than a week in the past, even though the alert chapters are today.

I also posted in a separate thread, but my post history only shows stuff from Wednesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back