• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Welcome to the Jungle : A Mage Quest

Happerry said:
Please, we had a chance to make what is specifically, and generally known as, a false name for a Prodigal Sorcerer and you think I wouldn't make the joke?
Yeah; but nobody gets why whenever I drop a Prodigal Sorcerer in our casual games I call him Tim. I'm actually glad I'm not the only one who makes that joke.

If you like it, then vote for it. ^-^

Last edited by a moderator:
[X] Plan Happerry
Not only do I agree with his choices, but the reasoning behind it seems sound.

Making ourself utterly invaluable to Law Enforcement will be incredibly useful for us down the road, and we'll also have a foot in for other goverment agencies in the future.

[X] Happerry

Do like the choices and arguements.
And while Faeries are trouble, they're ususally the fun kind. Fun for us, that is. Not necessarily for our character. Nor for anyone else actually involved. Except the Faeries themselves.
And that's why we love them.

[X] The Prodigal

-Choose one Field of Magic at Rank III, one at Rank II, and two at Rank I.
[X] III- Enchantment
[X] II- Divination
[X] I- Summoning
[X] I- Animation

-Choose two mundane skills at Rank I.
[X] I- Parkour
[X] I- Academics [Anatomy]

-Choose two additional perk
[X] Perfect Balance
[X] Fast Learning

[X] The Mob

[X] The Prodigal

[X] III-Animation
[X] II-Arcane
[X] I-Healing
and
[X]I-Summoning

[X] Socialize
[X] Investigation

[X] Familiar
[X] Fast Learning

and finally
[X] Side with the Cops

The Cops and The Prodigal are now locked. Faerie Affinity has edged out Fast Learning, Jack, and Cyclic though not by enough to justify a lock. Socialize and Investigate are in the lead for skills. Enchantment and Arcane have taken a clear lead for Rank 3 and Rank 2, but we need a Tie-Breaker between Divination and Fate.

I have some yard work to do, voting closes when I get done. (An hour or two)

Rank III
Enchantment: Vindictus, Happerry, useless101, Latewave, Emral282, Ronall, Pipeman, Malcolmo
Forces: Darik29
Animation: Guile, Vanathor, Bloodshifter, mc2rpg, Moronis

Rank II
Divination: Vindictus, Darik29, useless101, Malcolmo
Arcane: Happerry, Latewave, Emral282, EnderofWorlds, Ronall, Pipeman, Moronis
Enchantment: laundreu, Guile, Vanathor, Bloodshifter, mc2rpg

Rank I
Summoning: Vindictus, useless101, Malcolmo, Moronis
Animation: Vindictus, useless101, Malcolmo
Divination: Happerry, laundreu, Latewave, Emral282, Ronall, Pipeman
Healing: Happerry, Darik29, laundreu, Latewave, Emral282, Ronall, Pipeman, Moronis
Fate: Darik29, laundreu, Guile, Vanathor, Bloodshifter, mc2rpg
Abjuration: Guile, Vanathor, Bloodshifter, mc2rpg

Mundane Skills
Parkour: Vindictus, useless101, Malcolmo
Academics: Vindictus, useless101, Malcolmo
Socialize: Happerry, Darik29, Guile, Vanathor, Latewave, Bloodshifter, Emral282, Ronall, Pipeman, mc2rpg, Moronis
Investigation: Happerry, Darik29, Latewave, Emral282, Ronall, Pipeman, Moronis
Leadership: Guile, Vanathor, Bloodshifter, mc2rpg
(laundreu's votes are pretty much subsumed at this level)

Perks
Perfect Balance: Vindictus, useless101, Malcolmo
Fast Learning: Vindictus, Darik29, useless101, Malcolmo, Moronis
Familiar: Happerry, Darik29, laundreu, Latewave, Emral282, Ronall, Pipeman, Moronis
Faerie Affinity: Happerry, Latewave, Emral282, Chibi-Reaper, Ronall, Pipeman
Danger Sense: laundreu
Jack-of-All-Trades: Guile, Vanathor, Bloodshifter, mc2rpg
Cyclic Magic: Guile, Vanathor, Bloodshifter, mc2rpg

Come on people!
Divination has way more utility than Fate.
I mean, just take a look at the descriptions.

Divination: These spells enable you to learn secrets long forgotten, to predict the future, to find hidden things, and to foil deceptive spells.

Fate: Manipulation of luck and probability.

They are BOTH pretty useful.

And if Fate is meta-magic that gives us things like, "Roll twice, use the best of the two rolls," or more, that's fucking FANTASTIC for an RNG based system.

Would the GM confirm whether or not this is the case? I could toss in a tie-breaker, maybe.

Of course both are useful.

But that doesn't change the fact that Divination gives us more options, whereas Fate most likely "just" gives us boni to a bunch of different rolls. (Though I suspect that they wouldn't apply to all stuff. It does seem kind of hard to justify how probability manipulation improves, for example, social rolls.)

The thing is, while Fate seems very useful, it also seems very boring to me.

Amusingly both disciplines are interconnected enough that you could probably manage a lot of effects with either or, especially at Rank I. Later Ranks will see bigger differences.

Divination: Scrying, Precognition, Defeating Illusions
Fate: More Success, More Failure (for them), Alter Probability

And even then a lot of the power are interwoven.

Practically; Fate is more geared towards the mechanical side of things (rolls) while Divination is geared towards the story side of things.

EDIT: Actually Pipe, Fate is one of the few things that would apply to almost every roll you could make if you set the rituals up properly or thought to prepare the spells ahead of time.

Huh.
I guess you could justify that by having it literally changing fate towards having a more positive outcome for you instead of just changing acual mathematical probabilities.

Still prefer the story path over the powergaming one, but that's just personal preferances.

They're hard concepts to define side-by-side. =(

I think the best way to look at it would be like this.

Divination is the practice of finding certainty in an outcome through prediction or information. The better you get the more clear this certainty becomes.

Fate is the practice of altering the chance of an outcome happening (or not happening). The better you get the more likely this becomes.

Both can be deliciously vague.

Huuuurn. I'm torn.

On one hand, Fate seems more reliable. There's pretty much no instance that could not be improve by a bigger dice pool. We want to do a big Enchantment? Do a big Fate ritual beforehand to improve said Enchantment. Presto.

On the other hand, Divination could be used to have the GM whisper hints in our ear. And is more story based. Plus, one of the things I love to have above all else is superior intel.

Damn, I want both now.

BUT.....

[X] Divination

[X] Fairy Affinity
[X] Familiar

Because I do like gaming the system and what Jans describes for Divination is more up my personal alley. Not strictly happy with it because Fate does sound like a good, "Do everything better," school, but hopefully we can pick up some Fate.

....Actually, would Fate and Divination synergize? Because if so, it might be worth loosing healing for supreme probably/far-sight haxx. MAYBE. Losing the fall-back would suck, but if the two fields work together well....

We can always just train up whichever doesn't get chosen now.

Pipeman said:
We can always just train up whichever doesn't get chosen now.

Hah. Like we won't find other things to do or new shiny to find.

EDIT: Actually, since Fairy Familiar seems likely, we should probably consider which magic could sync up with our partner. To aid in endeavors or mitigate fallout.

Yes Divination and Fate would stack. Fate could enhance any roll, and Divination is a roll.

I'm closing votes in five minutes or so, if you want to switch it up or get counted now's the time.

And with that, the vote has ended.

While I do the tally you all have two very important questions to answer.

Are you going to introduce yourself to a police lieutenant as Tim the Enchanter?

Is your familiar a Fairy? If not, what is it?

[X] "There are some who call me....Tim."
[X] Familiar is a Fairy.
-[X] Our (new) favorite routine is good cop, bad cop. Don't ask which is which, we like to take turns.

The winning votes are.

[X] The Prodigal

[X] Magic Rank III: Enchantment
[X] Magic Rank II: Arcane
[X] Magic Rank I: Fate
[X] Magic Rank I: Healing

[X] Skill Rank I: Socialize
[X] Skill Rank I: Investigation

[X] Perks: Familiar, Faerie Affinity

[X] The Cops

Amusingly, if Hymn had stuck with Divination it would have made another tie. Voting both kept Fate in the lead.

Stat sheet to follow.

BAH! At least we don't have to go through another tie breaker I guess.

Still, I would like to pick up Divination as well. I'm sure our Faerie friend has all sorts of fun tricks up their sleeve. Us having double rituals to augment his efforts and our own training/planned outings? Yes please. It's a very good way to avoid a fail or a critfail, and I'd hate to see the results of when of those when a Faerie is involved.

[X] I AM TIM!
[X] And this here's my fairy familiar

[X] "There are some who call me....Tim."
[X] Familiar is a Fairy.
-[X] Our (new) favorite routine is good cop, bad cop. Don't ask which is which, we like to take turns.

Or are there any other interesting options aside from the standard animals?

[X] Everyone who plays D&D knows Air Elementals make the best familiars.

[X] "There are some who call me... Tim."
[X] Our familiar is... Goodman Puck. BE AFRAID.

Vindictus said:
[X] "There are some who call me... Tim."
[X] Our familiar is... Goodman Puck. BE AFRAID.

Oh I would LOVE for our familiar to be Puck, but I figured that be asking a wee bit too much.

Then again, Puck is as likely to screw us indirectly or inadvertently as he is to help us. Or screw us directly and call it building character. So maybe it all balances out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back