• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

What We Need Here/Is A Little Bit Of Panic (Persona 5 Genderbent Protagonist)

April 14, Part 2
"See?" the not-a-cat shrieked at Ann, gesturing frantically with his head in Ryuji's direction. (His paws were presumably being used to keep himself upright.) "He gets it! He's known me for less than a minute and he gets it! Why can you not get it?!" He took a deep breath, then, and turned to regard Ryuji with what was probably meant as a benevolent expression, but just came off as smug. "Greetings, good sir," he purred. "It is a pleasure to make the acquaintance of such a perspicacious individual. I am Morgana, your humble instructor in the Noble Art of Phantom Thievery."

"... kay," said Ryuji, regarding this with what was probably meant as a bewildered expression ... and came off as just that. Momentarily, he managed to lift his gaze to regard Kurusu. "I get why you thought he should introduce himself, now."

"Mmm," replied Kurusu, who then turned to look at Ann and spoke quietly. "How is Suzui-san?"

Ann sighed. "I got her home all right, yesterday, but she texted last night that she's not coming back to school while Kamoshida's still here. I dunno how long her 'rents are gonna put up with that, though."

"Right," Kurusu replied with a nod. "Then that's our deadline. We have to get this done before Suzui-san has to come back to school. If possible, by next Monday. Today, though ..." She trailed off, glancing over to where Ryuji was conversing with Morgana.

Ann followed her gaze and guessed at its implications. "We go in, get it done and then get the hell out?"

"Yes." Raising her voice. "Are you ready to go, then?" she asked Ryuji.

Ryuji's head snapped up. "Doubt it, but we better get a move on anyway. Oh! Yeah, that reminds me -- I thought about what you said about it being dangerous, so I brought somethin' that might make me seem a little more dangerous than I am!" He turned to where his own bag was resting.

"Oh, no. Don't tell me you've managed to hold on to one of those stupid Ultraman masks they sell at festivals or something," asked Ann, wearily.

"No, but I bet that would have been an awesome backup to what I actually did bring," he replied, producing a pistol from the bag.

Ann gaped. "OMFG, Ryuji, where the hell did you get a gun and why did you bring it to school?" she fairly shrieked.

Ryuji found himself stepping back from the force of her dismay. "Sheesh, why don't you go tell the whole world instead of just you, me, Morgana and -- hey, where'd she go?" he asked, defensive posturing momentarily forgotten.

Ann turned to see that there was indeed a vacant space where Kurusu had been only a moment or so earlier. "Wha--" she started to ask, then leaned back a bit. "Ah, thought so," she said, before returning her accusatory gaze to Ryuji. "It's a toy gun, right?" she asked heavily.

Still confused, Ryuji nodded hesitantly. "Yeah, all it does is make noise. I figured the sight of it might spook the monsters, though."

"Yes, because we all know supernatural monsters are terrified of guns," Ann replied disgustedly. Somewhat more loudly, she repeated, "Toy gun, just makes noises."

Slooooowwwly, Kurusu poked her head out from the staircase entryway where she had taken cover, clearly still spooked.

"Ohhh, you weren't kidding about her not hating me," said Ryuji. To his credit, he promptly hid the gun away in his pack.

"Yeah, she hasn't known you nearly long enough for that," Ann replied.

"Thanks."

"I'm sure Lady Akira will come to understand your admirable qualities in time, Sir Ryuji," Morgana assured him.

"Heh, thanks." This time, it sounded a bit more sincere.

"Sir?" Ann growled.

Last edited:
April 14, Part 3
Actually entering the palace, as he hadn't the previous day, was surprising for Ryuji on a number of levels. First, this time when the phone did its thing, there was no abrupt searing pain in his head -- which was nice. The relief when that didn't happen almost distracted him from the other big change when they started approaching the palace gates.

"Holy shit, what are you two wearing?" he yelped.

"I can't believe I honestly thought this was a good idea," Ann groaned into the pink gloved hand that was covering most of what could be seen of her face behind the red panther mask, while also covering parts of said mask. But therefore doing nothing to cover up the bright red latex costume she wore, though her elbow was conveniently over the window that showed off her cleav--

"Stop leering, Ryuji," Ann growled, free hand audibly tightening on the handle of the coiled-up whip she was holding.

"Okay," he promptly said, and turned his gaze on Kurusu. The black form-fitting outfit that she was wearing was honestly no less sexy than Ann's was, even if it showed much less skin and seemed designed more to be concealed by the long black coat she wore over top of it. A bit more unnerving were the fancy red gloves she was wearing on hands that were already clutching a pair of knives.

None of that was the biggest change, though. After the business with the gun, Ryuji had started to notice a lot of other indications that told him that Ann had gotten it right, that Kurusu was afraid of him. When they were walking to the alley, Kurusu had always tried to keep Ann between herself and Ryuji. Looking back on it, she had actually kept a fair amount of space between them when the two of them had come here yesterday, until she hadn't had any choice but to close the distance in order to keep him from going in the palace.

Now, though? Now the girl in front of him didn't seem scared of anything. And when she talked, as she was now --

Aw man, she's talking! Ryuji pulled himself out of his somewhat dazed speculations to listen.

"-- an outward manifestation of one's will to rebel," she said, in what was hopefully the tail end of the first sentence she'd said, instead of a later one. "When yours is awakened, it will probably take a form like your own ideas of what a Phantom Thief should look like."

"... okay, then we may have a real problem on our hands, 'cause I have no effing clue what a Phantom Thief should look like," Ryuji commented, conscious of how smoothly Kurusu was talking, how confident she sounded.

"I'm sure you'll figure it out, Sir Ryuji," said Morgana's voice, and naturally that prompted Ryuji to look down at him.

For a whole five seconds before he finally said, "Dang, Morgana, you weren't kidding about not being a cat!"

"Indeed not!" said the cartoon character standing before him, posing with his -- fists, he guessed -- on his hips, looking like he thought there was a cape blowing in the wind behind him. "I said it before and I'll say it again --"

"Yeah, you're way more like an advertising mascot or something," said Ryuji.

"Ooogh," Ann muttered, hand still over her face.

Morgana ceased speech and indeed all motion. Just as Ryuji was starting to get a bit worried about him, he resumed speech, though much more quietly. "Well, that is indeed an opinion that someone could have."

"So, what exactly is your deal? I didn't have time to ask about that before."

Recovering a bit further, Morgana continued. "I am a human, though I seem to have lost the appearance of such in one of my adventures in the palaces or possibly in -- ahem, that's getting a bit ahead of the subject. It is my belief -- nay, my certain faith -- that by stealing the treasures to be found within these realms that I will eventually be able to regain my true form. At which point I will probably look like a charming young gentleman who shall be adored by all ladies!" He grinned broadly, teeth gleaming even in the dim light of the palace's exterior.

"Well, that is indeed an opinion that someone could have," Ann muttered with a shake of her head.

"Ahem," Morgana coughed loudly and fakely. "Well, all this tumult outside of the palace has likely given the Shadows cause to notice us. You had all better brace yourselves. We're counting on you, Joker!"

A moment of silence ensued as everyone stared at the advertising mascot.

"Who?" said Kurusu.

"You!" replied Morgana, pointing at the black-clad thief with a series of rapid hand gestures. "Phantom Thieves must have code names! That is the basic of basics! And you are our trump card when it comes to fighting strength, therefore --"

"No," replied Kurusu. No shake of her head. Just a quietly voiced refusal. "I don't like that name."

"Well, what should we call you, then?" asked Ryuji and Morgana in chorus.

"Jinx," said Ann.

"Okay," Kurusu agreed with a short nod.

"Huh?" asked Ann, startled. "No, I was just, they said the same thing so I was --"

"I like it," said Kurusu. "What do you want to be called?"

Ann regarded her teammate with some apprehension, but pushed through it. "Well, considering how I look, I suppose I should go by --"

"Cat," interjected Morgana with gleaming eyes.

"... Panther," Ann growled, the tail attached to the rear of her costume implausibly sticking out in a straight line behind her.

"And you are Mona," said Kurusu as she looked down at Morgana. "Because you're a real piece of work."

"I'll take that compliment," Morgana replied cheerfully.

"Do I get a codename?" asked Ryuji, grinning in excitement.

"We'll talk about it after you wake up," Ann replied. "For now, you're just 'hey you'."

"... well, I was expecting something way crueller, so I'm good with it."

Last edited:
April 14, Part 4
"All right," said Mona, walking down the short corridor that led from their entryway to the big foyer, a bit ahead of Panther and Jinx, who were in turn just a bit ahead of Hey You. "It seems I was mistaken about the security being raised because of all the noise we made just now. We should be clear until we get deeper into the palace." With that, he pushed open the door and guided them all into the foyer.

Standing on the walkway above was King Kamoshida, surrounded by no less than six of his green-armored guards. "You dare come back here, you wretched thieves?!" he nearly shrieked.

"Or this could happen," Mona quickly added. "I was just about to discuss this alternative possibility."

"Sure you were," Panther replied with a shake of her head.

"Bad enough that you came in here once and sought to humiliate my exalted self!" the royal pain declaimed over the rather noisy sounds of the guards trooping down the stairs towards the party of four. "Bad enough that you returned, to steal away the life of my beloved consort, Whatever Her Name Was! But now you return again to offer further effrontery in this time of mourning! How despicable -- don't you agree, Whatever Your Name Is?"

Owing to the angle at which they were viewing his position and the fact that he'd been surrounded by the guards up until now, the thieves hadn't noticed that Kamoshida was not standing up there alone. There was a young man wearing what could be charitably called an outfit that consisted of black leather pants, a mesh shirt, a chain wrapped around his neck like a collar, and a gleeful adoring smile on his face. "Yes, Daddy!" he cried out. "Anything you say, Daddy!"

"Mishima?" Ryuji gasped. "Wait, you're supposed to be dead! And what the eff are you wearing, dude?"

"Okay, one of those is a bigger deal than the other one is!" Panther yelled back at him, resolving to have a little chat with Ryuji later about his fixation on clothes. Right now, though, there were more critical matters, as the guards reached the bottom of the stairs and exploded out of their armor to reveal that they were weird black horse-thingies with curvy green horns.

"Hmmm?" growled Kamoshida, peering down at them. "What's this? I see you wretches have brought with you an even more wretched individual with you -- the notorious 'Track Traitor' whose violent ways spelled the end of his teammates' dreams! What terrible taste in allies, you thieves."

"Oh, get bent you emeffer!" Ryuji shouted back, and in one smooth move pulled out the gun and pointed it up at Kamoshida.

Who stared down at him with an eyebrow raised and his arms folded across his chest. "And what do you imagine that you're going to do with that?" he asked, scorn dripping from every word.

"Um," replied Ryuji, unprepared for this reaction. I guess supernatural creatures really aren't scared of guns, he thought. Oh, man, if we live through this Ann is never gonna let me live this down.

"Don't panic, Sir Ryuji!" Mona cried out. "That gun may be more than it seems!"

"What the hey, Mona?" Ryuji replied, not taking his eyes off Kamoshida. "I told you, it doesn't even shoot pellets!"

"But we're in a cognition! Here, your mind makes it all real! If you truly believe that you can, then you can you fire that gun!"

The horse-thingies were already attacking Panther and Jinx. There was no time to really think about what Mona had said. Ryuji drew in a deep breath through his nose ... and pulled the trigger.

A loud popping noise ensued.

"Or that could happen," Mona added. "I was about to address that alternative poss--"

April 14, Part 5
Ryuji blinked as he gazed across the floor of the foyer at the sight of the other three getting overwhelmed by repeated waves of those weird horse-things. Something seemed odd about his current circumstances. Hadn't he been standing over there, beside Morgana or Mona or whatever the cartoon character wanted to be called, when he took his shot at Kamoshida? (Okay, tried to take his shot.) How'd he gotten all the way over here, slumped on the floor against the wall beneath a window?

Oh, yeah, he realized a moment later as his gaze took in the golden-armored figure who was stomping towards him. That guy hit me and I flew all the way over here.

He wasn't sure where this bastard had come from; it was like he'd shown up out of nowhere once Ryuji pointed the gun towards the so-called King, and then made no noise at all as he strode up to smack Ryuji. Right now, he was clanking like the other armored guys had done as they came down the stairs, like he didn't see any more need for stealth. Or speed, given how slowly he was walking.

Get up, get up, Ryuji told himself, pushing himself up with his back against the wall. He managed to get most of the way into a standing position before he started to feel the all-too-familiar sensations of his leg screaming at him that he was asking too much of it. That hadn't happened in months, and its return was really unwelcome.

"Dammit," he groaned. "Am I gonna lose everything this time? I can't run, the track team is gone, and he's even killed people --"

"-- and once these three have met their fates," proclaimed Kamoshida from on high, "your fate shall be the same as theirs! But slower!"

"Sir Ryuji!" cried Mona, who was being stomped on by one of the horses.

"It's not over --" said Jinx, somehow blocking the horns of another one with her knife.

Weirdly, it was the former that did it. Despite how weird the little creature was, the respect and admiration that Mona had shown Ryuji since they met had been like a ray of light amidst the disgust and contempt that damn near everyone showed him. And now, someone else in his crew was gonna get hurt?

Nay, nix, never, m'boy! If ever there was a time to spit on your hands, hoist the black flag and start slitting throats, this surely was it! They think you're a scoundrel already, so be one already! No turning back now!

I am thou, thou art I. Fly the skull of rebellion and make them dread it! Call on my name and unleash thy terror!

The pain in his head, on his face, now dwarfed that in his leg, and he reached up to tear the mask he was wearing off his face.

"CAP'N KIDD!" he howled, in the moment before the vast pirate ship hovering above his head opened up with the sixteen cannons that lined its broadside, obliterating the golden knight before it could so much as utter a word.

"Guuhhhhh," Ryuji said a few moments later, once again slumped against a wall, but this time in the train station outside the palace.

"Which one do you want?" asked Ann, holding a pair of bottles as she stood over where he was seated, with Kurusu standing a bit behind her and Morgana once again in her bag.

"Which one's coffee?" asked Ryuji.

"... neither, they're both fizzy pops," Ann replied.

Shaking his head, he reached out to take the lemon-flavored fizzy pop, cracked open the lid and started downing it. "So, that was that Persona thing you were telling me about, right? I can fight, now?"

"Yes, and the gun should probably work after this, too," supplied Morgana. "I have a slingshot that I use the same way."

"Huh," said Ryuji, nodding.

Ann slowly turned to look at the cat. "Wait," she said. "Then how come you haven't used it already? That would have come in handy when --"

"Because reasons," Morgana answered with great solemnity.

"Fur. Gloves," Ann growled, hands starting to reach out for the bag. Kurusu subtly maneuvered to keep most of herself between Ann and Morgana, and Ann let her hands fall but kept on glaring.

"Cap'n Kidd. That's kind of awesome. He's like the original version of Gold Roger, right?" Ryuji said.

"Sort of, but that's kind of strange," said Kurusu, the first words she'd spoken since they left the palace.

"Strange how?" asked Ryuji.

She hesitated a moment, before speaking, much more rapidly than she usually did. "... my Persona, and Ann's Persona, too, are characters from stories. Captain Kidd was a real person. It doesn't really match up, unless maybe he's the storybook version of him ..." Now she trailed off, her lips still moving a bit but no sound being made.

Ryuji stared at this display without much understanding, then just nodded. "Whatever. I'm with you guys, now. Maybe we should exchange deets so that we can get in touch and make plans to go back in?"

That pulled Kurusu out of her daze. "'Deets'?" she repeated, sounding confused.

"Phone numbers," Ann explained. "We can save them to our phones, y'know?"

Kurusu blinked. "Oh," she said, in a way strongly suggestive of the idea that she did not, in fact, know.

Deciding not to explore the implications of that, Ann abruptly realized another difficulty attending the plan they were making. "Oh," she said. "You don't have a phone, right?" she asked Morgana.

"Alas, no," the cat replied. "But fret not, for I shall be able to observe any messages that are sent to Sir Ryuji, as I shall be living with him henceforth."

"Sorry?" said Ryuji, blinking.

"I'm sure it'll be no imposition," Morgana replied. "Though if you could arrange for regular supplies of fresh fish, that would be --"

"My building's got a strict no pets policy, dude. If they caught me bringing you home, my mom and I would be on the streets like that."

"Oh," said Morgana, clearly disappointed. "Well, um, I'm sure that the gracious Lady Ann would --"

"Guess again," Ann growled.

"He can live with me," said Kurusu. "I'll work it out."

April 14, Part 6
"Are you crazy?" asked Sojiro.

He was not altogether sure what annoyed him more -- the fact that his boarder had brought a cat into his cafe while there were customers present and then boldly asked if she could keep it, or the fact that, after he had pulled her into an alcove to discuss this situation out of the sight of the aforementioned customers, she had once again responded to this quite straightforward question by taking a moment to consider her response.

"Y'know what, don't bother answering," he said at last when she opened her mouth to give a response.

She obligingly shut up.

"No, you cannot keep it," he answered when he was sure he wasn't about to be interrupted.

"Him," she quietly corrected.

"Fine, him," Sojiro agreed in exasperation. His eyes slammed shut. "Don't tell me you've already named him," he asked wearily.

"... I haven't."

Also once again, the bullshit detector was giving a wonky response. On the one hand, it told him that she was not lying ... but everything else about the manner in which that brief statement seemed an incredibly calculated lie. Someone else must have named the cat. That was the simplest explanation, and so probably not the right one.

"Regardless, you can't keep an animal in this place," Sojiro continued. "He is a walking, meowing health code violation. You are lucky I don't declare you in violation just for --"

"So I was reading this article recently," said a woman's voice from back in the cafe, clearly pitched to carry. "Did you know that there's some literature claiming that people who have to care for something -- an animal, usually -- often show better results when trying to remain on good behavior than people who are responsible for no one but themselves?"

"... no, I can't say that I did," responded a male voice. "Nor do I find my life greatly enhanced by that knowledge. Also, why are you talking to me?"

"That's what you do in cafes, isn't it? Socialize? I've seen you talking the Boss' ear off quite a bit in the past."

"Well, yes, but --"

Sojiro let out a frustrated sigh, then coughed as he realized that the kid was looking over his shoulder as though trying to catch a glimpse of the customers who'd just been speaking. The cough yanked her attention back onto Sojiro.

"Okay. You can keep the cat. But make sure he stays quiet, especially when there are customers in here. And, so help me, no matter how cute and furry and loveable he might be, if I find him wandering around in my kitchen, leaving fur and other debris there, you will both be out the door faster than you can say, 'Wah, Doraemon'! Got it?"

The girl nodded shortly, while the cat, now poking his head out of her bag, made a smug-sounding cat noise. Sojiro reminded himself, firmly, that cats could not understand human speech, and that this one probably sounded smug all the damned time.

"All right, then -- get. I'll bring up some fish later, but after that you have to feed him yourself."

The girl nodded again, somewhat more deeply, and promptly trooped up the stairs. Annoyed at all this, Sojiro headed back to the kitchen, pausing to look in a rather unimpressed manner at a certain punkish-attired customer. She in turn smiled at him while sipping her tea.

Owing favors was how the adult world worked.

"I think the ruler of this place likes me more than he likes you," Morgana told his host/pupil while surveying his new dwelling place.

"Since he doesn't like me at all, that's not much of an accomplishment," Kurusu replied wearily as she took off her uniform blazer and hung it up in the closet.

"Hm. Well, you have a rather clean room, here, so I'm impressed ... though it does still need some work to make it a proper headquarters for our operations. Of course, I have no intention of taking advantage of your hospitality for nothing. I will work for my keep."

"You're more than welcome to have any mice you catch."

"First of all, ew! Second, also ew! Finally, that's not even remotely what I meant! I will provide you with training in the construction and maintenance of infiltration tools."

"What, like lockpicks and that sort of thing?" she asked.

"Correct! They will be critical for our future operations. How about it? Have we a deal?"

The young woman was regarding him with a somewhat skeptical expression, but what she said was, "All right, it's a deal."

I am thou, thou art I. Thou hast acquired a new vow. It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh the chains of thy captivity. With the birth of the Magician Persona, I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and enlightenment ...

Hm,
thought Morgana. I think she heard that, too. Interesting. Aloud, what he started to say was, "By the way --"

"If you can make lockpicks, why were you locked in a cell when I met you?" Kurusu interrupted.

Morgana coughed. "Well, when within the palace, I lack the resources with which to manufacture them, and when without the palace, I lack ... certain other faculties that would be necessary for --"

"You don't have hands."

"I don't have hands."

"Right."

"Coming up," announced a voice from the staircase, and a moment or so later Sojiro arrived bearing a plate of fish and a confused expression. "Were you talking to that cat?" he asked.

"Yes," replied Kurusu promptly.

"Oooookay," the older man said as he brought the plate over to Morgana, who promptly set too without even bothering to offer thanks. "Takes all kinds. So what is his name, anyway?"

"Bernardo."

"Bernardo?" yowled Morgana, interrupting his feast.

"I don't think he likes that name very much," observed Sojiro.

"Oh well."

Note: Bernardo is Zorro's deaf-mute servant in the original stories, who sometimes only poses as deaf in later adaptations.

Last edited:
This is a test of the alignment tool.

This is only a test.
If it were an actual story segment, you would be reading in-character statements.

And questionably humorous narrative.
This has been a test of the alignment tool. Please look forward to the return of "What We Need Here" in a bit less than 24 of your Earthling hours.

April 14, Part 7/April 15, Part 1
PART FOUR

Is this working?
R: Sure seems to be!

A: Yes, it's working.

I've never done this.

R: You never texted with your friends back home?

I could talk to them. Why would I need to text?

Never mind that, now. Where did you get the item you showed us?

R: You mean the gun?

R: Hello?

A: Yes, Ryuji, I think she might have meant the item she was trying to avoid
naming to avoid the possibility of these texts being used as evidence in our eventual trial.

Yes.

R: Oh. Yeah. There's this shop in Shibuya that sells model guns. I'd be glad to take you there
if you want!

Or you could just send me the address.

R: Uh, you really wanna do it alone?

I won't be alone. Morgana says hi.

R: Right, right.

Wrong, wrong, Ryuji thought to himself the next day, gazing fixedly at Kurusu's back while she somehow remained upright while nonetheless dozing through another one of Ushimaru's lectures on how much all of them sucked. He supposed that it would have been inspiring if he was the sort who found faked attention inspirational.

What it really did was make him worry. This girl, who had panicked at the mere sight of a fake gun in the hands of someone as harmless and innocent as Ryuji, was going to be heading to a store full of fake guns, run by someone way more intimidating and nowhere nearly as innocent. (Ryuji, not exactly a babe in the woods, had found that surly manager to be really disconcerting.) And then there were all the other dangerous elements of the neighborhood where the store was to be found. She was going to be going there alone except for the not-a-cat?

And hell, how was she supposed to work that, anyway? She'd have to go back to wherever the two of them were living to pick up the cat, which would lead to all sorts of questions --

Like why was her bag moving on the floor?

No, thought Ryuji as he watched through horrified eyes as the zippered-shut compartment of the bag opened up from the inside. She didn't seriously bring him into class with her.

Morgana poked his head out of the now-open compartment, looking around with interest for a moment before his bright blue eyes caught sight of Ryuji. He opened his mouth to utter some manner of greeting.

She did, oh eff, she did! he thought, shaking his head frantically.

For a wonder, Morgana took the meaning of that gesture and remained silent.

"You!" snapped Ushimaru, voice filled with murderous intent. "Pay attention! Is that how you listen when someone's talking to you?!"

Ryuji snapped to attention. He knew it would make no difference, but maybe, if he could see it coming, he might be able to --

"Kurusu!" the teacher yelled again, and then flung the chalk towards the occupant of the seat in front of Ryuji, who still seemed distracted by whatever private thoughts were occupying her.

And yet nevertheless caught the chalk between two fingers before it struck her.

The stunned whispers of the class seemed to draw Kurusu out of her daze; to Ryuji's eyes, she seemed almost as surprised to see herself holding the chalk in her hand as Ushimaru was aghast at the sight of it. With a shake of her head, she set the chalk down on top of her desk and focused her attention on the teacher.

Okay, maybe she'll be all right after all, thought Ryuji. ... nah.

April 15, Part 2
"How do I let you talk me into these things?" asked Ann while peering around a corner.

"Clearly I am way more persuasive than I seem," Ryuji replied as he too peered. "Now shush, she'll hear us!"

"I like that explanation better than the alternative, that I'm way more gullible," she said, pulling her head back behind the corner.

Ryuji had sought her out as the school day ended and persuaded her to come along with him on his self-assigned mission to make sure nothing bad happened to Kurusu on her journey to Untouchable Airsofts. So far, they had seen her pause to listen to some old politician delivering a speech in the square outside the station, then move on to the alley where the store in question was to be found. She was walking up to the store as they spoke.

"Besides, I'm pretty sure that she knows we're here," Ann added.

"No chance!" Ryuji replied -- loudly -- as he too ducked back behind the corner. "We've been stealthy!"

"Doesn't matter," said Ann, shaking her head in grim certitude. "I'm positive she knows."

Ryuji started to frown. "Did you tell her about this?"

"No, she's just scary smart like that. But I'll bet you she knows."

The frown turned upside down in a hurry. "Okayyyyy!" Ryuji said through his somewhat maniacal grin. "I win, you forget all about that money I supposedly owe you. You win -- double it!"

Now Ann was smiling with equal ferocity. "I'll take those stakes!" She promptly looked around the corner again. "Okay, she's gone inside. From what you said, the guy in there is going to scare her away in just a minute, and then we can -- wait, who are those guys?"

Ryuji blinked and resumed his own surveillance, just in time to see a pair of dudes in coats and suits rushing up to the door of the store. "Oh shit, I think those are cops."

"What?" Ann barely avoided shrieking as she watched the "cops" enter the building. "Ryuji, what the hell kind of a store is this?"

"I told you, toy guns! Really effing realistic-looking toy guns ... and knives ... and some lengths of pipe ... and a few whips ... and ... um ..." Ryuji trailed off. "Y'know, maybe this wasn't such a good idea," he added.

"You think?" demanded Ann as she grabbed hold of his shirt with one hand while the other began to form a fist.

"Please don't hit him," Kurusu asked. "If we fall out with each other, it's all over."

The two stalkers snapped their heads in her direction. She had walked up to them without either of them noticing, while holding a paper bag in front of herself -- quite a bit in front of herself, and gingerly, as though she was holding something a bit dangerous.

"Are you okay?" Ann asked.

"I think so," Kurusu replied, pensively.

"What happened?" asked Ryuji.

"Well, I went in and took a look at their stock. Before I could make up my mind, though, the manager checked his watch and asked me to do him a favor by taking charge of this bag, without looking inside of it. Then those police officers showed up and said they wanted to have a word with him. So I left."

"And they let you just walk away?" asked Ann, hands up over her mouth.

Kurusu nodded. "I didn't think they would, and it was a bit scary. But they weren't interested in me. I don't think they even really noticed I had this bag." She pushed it towards Ryuji. "What's inside?"

Ryuji's eyes flickered between her and the bag. "Uh, didn't he ask you not to look inside of it?"

"Yes," she answered, nodding.

They stood a while in silence.

"He didn't ask you not to do that, though," Kurusu added.

"... right then," said Ryuji after a moment, taking the bag. "Boy, I hope this isn't dr-- oh, it's a gun. Wayyyy better than the one I picked up, this practically looks real." He started to reach inside.

"Thank you," said Kurusu, quickly taking it back and pulling the top of the bag closed once more. "I'll have to return this later."

"I bet he'll be grateful," said Mona from inside the backpack. "Maybe we can work out some sort of arrangement, we're going to need to pick up some supplies for when we go in the Palace again."

"Great idea, but there's something more important we need to talk about," said Ann. "Did you know we were following you?"

Kurusu blinked. "Nnno," she said, eyebrows raised.

"Ha!" laughed Ryuji, smirking at Ann.

"Not until I got to the store and heard someone saying 'no chance', at least," she added.

"Ha ha!" 'laughed' Ann, returning the smirk.

"Please don't hit her."

April 16
"... but never on a Sunday a Sunday the one day/I need a little rest," she sang to herself while leafing through an imported copy of Rolling Stone. And she really was committed to the notion of giving herself a rest from her real work, to prove to herself -- the only person whose opinion truly mattered -- that she was not pathological about her research, just focused and dedicated. There was a tiny voice in the back of her mind that whispered that someone who deliberately scheduled one day a week to avoid doing something was demonstrating signs of just such a pathology, but she had gotten used to ignoring that unhelpful voice.

Of course, she thought as the bell rang to inform her that the door had opened, taking a break from her real work did not mean that she was allowed to take a break from what she did to pay the bills. The silence that followed the door opening suggested something else. "... is this your first visit?" she asked without looking up from her magazine.

The silence following that greeting, on the other hand, got her to look up ... and blink in a rapid manner that would have put the lie to anyone who referred to her as languid. "Oh," said Takemi. "It's you."

"Yes," said the young woman in a Shujin uniform, carrying a heavy-looking backpack. "F-from Leblanc."

"From Leblanc," repeated the doctor, a smile teasing at her lips. "Hm. I was wondering whether you were going to come here."

Now the teenager was the one blinking rapidly, plainly confused.

"You don't have the slightest idea, do you?" asked Takemi, feeling a rare sensation of pity.

"I don't even know what I'm supposed to have an idea about," admitted the girl.

"... okay, then," said Takemi. "Head into the exam room, and I'll explain."

A few moments later, she was seated in her desk chair, watching the girl set her bag down on the floor beside the stool where she then sat down to face her. A moment or two elapsed as Takemi studied her vistor's face, looking for signs that she knew better than to expect.

Then she moved on. "To make a long story short, ten years ago, when I was a student, I took an elective that your father was teaching. It was fascinating stuff, if a bit outside of my usual interests, and I ended up getting to know the professor -- and your mother, too -- fairly well. I stayed in touch with them, and a few weeks ago, they contacted me to ask if there was some way I could give you shelter during your stay here in Tokyo. That wasn't an option, of course, but I happened to know someone else who had a room that wasn't being used, and who owed me a few favors. And that's how I know you, and how I know all about your situation. Any questions?" she asked.

The girl had already been almost as pale as Takemi herself when she came in. Now she was practically ghostly, and her eyes were tiny little dots. She really hadn't had any idea about any of this, it seemed.

"Well?" Takemi prompted.

"No," the girl peeped. "No questions."

"All right, then," said the doctor. "What brought you here?"

"I don't remember."

Takemi knew perfectly well that she often came off as intimidating. This was largely volitional, since she neither wanted nor needed any close personal contacts with other human beings. But she had been trying to seem friendly during this conversation. That promptly went out the window, and her patient expression went away in a burst of skepticism. "You don't remember?" she repeated.

"No," said the girl, stooping to pick up her bag and then standing up, ramrod straight. "It doesn't matter so much."

Forcing herself back to friendliness wasn't easy, given how profoundly unnatural it was, but Takemi tried all the same. "Look, if you're worried about the possibility that things we talk about will get back to your parents, don't be -- I take doctor-patient confidentiality really seriously, and, besides that, I know --"

"Good day," said the girl, bowing politely, and then briskly walking out through the patient entryway.

"That could have gone better," Takemi muttered.

Then the door swung open and the day got even better as Oyamada stormed in. "I'm sorry, you'll have to take a number like everybody else," she said with feigned patience.

"Enough of this!" he nearly roared. "You're the only one who could possibly be developing that medicine --"

"Nooo idea what you're talking about, dear sir," she replied.

"Don't play the fool! The rumors say that it's a pill that grants unlimited power!"

"... the rumors should really stop reading cultivation novels."

He ignored that. "This is the only warning I'll give you -- dispose of the drug and stop all research, or I'll get the police involved!"

"Okay, I'll get right on with disposing of the drug that doesn't exist. It should be easy enough," Takemi said, shaking her head in disbelief.

"You will not ruin my reputation ag--" he was continuing to rant, then whirled to look back at the door. "Someone's listening in on this, aren't they?" he almost hissed before flinging the door open.

There was no one in the waiting area, of course. It was hard to tell if Oyamada was more frustrated or more embarrassed, but he looked back at Takemi one more time. "No more warnings -- the next time I hear about any sort of medical research coming out of this hovel, I'll have you arrested!" With that, he stormed out of the room.

"Sure you don't want some medicine for that hypertension?" she called after him. It had almost been scary, this time. Oyamada had always been a jealous asshole, but this level of paranoia was nothing she'd ever seen from him before this. What was up with him?

"So I don't get it," Morgana said from the backpack. "She seemed way more friendly than the guy in the weapon shop --"

"Airsoft gun store," Kurusu corrected as she walked briskly in the direction of Leblanc.

Morgana pressed on without acknowledging that interjection. "-- but you were like five times as frightened of her! What gives?"

"I --" She paused, seemed to draw in a deep breath. "I have my reasons, okay? I'll figure something else out for the medicine you say we need."

"... okay, fine," replied Morgana, giving up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back