• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Flash with a blade like Curare uses (sharpened to the point of a molecule, so it can cut through anything), and almost nothing would be able to stop him. Yes, he can just vibrate his hand into people, but just slicing people in half at relativistic speeds would probably just be faster (if messier).

Man, I was hoping Paul would help with murderizing Malvolio

He'll get there, now that Hal's been removed from the fight. Someone had to think of the civilians. And since he was first removed from the initial attack, he was best suited for that.

I'm kind of hoping Paul just goes and assimilates that big Green Battery. Would probably give him a good power boost and weaken Malvolio (or at least, distract him from WW and Flash).

That would make a lot of people very, very angry.

A bit too angry unless he knew some of them. People get killed all the time in superfights, in disasters... He's taking this a tad too personally taking into account his character up to this point.

Either he lost someone important or he got hit by something that makes him act like this. Or this isn't 2012 Barry at all. My money is still on Bad End Barry from a few years in the future (he finally figured out how to break the FTL barrier and went back in time to set right what went wrong... Or just to get revenge. That works too).

Last edited:
I'm kind of hoping Paul just goes and assimilates that big Green Battery

If it's more powerful than an average Lantern then that may be difficult, or even outright impossible.

A bit too angry unless he knew some of them. People get killed all the time in superfights, in disasters... He's taking this a tad too personally taking into account his character up to this point.

Either he lost someone important or he got hit by something that makes him act like this. Or this isn't 2012 Barry at all. My money is still on Bad End Barry from a few years in the future (he finally figured out how to break the FTL barrier and went back in time to set right what went wrong... Or just to get revenge. That works too).

A person can hate someone intensely even if they never personally harmed them.

After Flash witnessed what the Sheeda do to people, developing a intense hatred for them is highly plausible.

Yeah people may die sometimes in their fights, but they probably don't get absorbed into monstrous technology to be made into tools for psychopaths.

Alternatively: sheeda mind control

Batman mind link. This is what Mr Wayne feels like 24/7 (yes, even during breakfast - you'll never see anyone eating cereal as angrily as he does). Since he missed out on the combat he's mentally projecting himself through Barry. No need to control himself if he's merged with another person.

Last edited:
Batman mind link. This is what Mr Wayne feels like 24/7 (yes, even during breakfast - you'll never see someone eating cereal as angrily as him). Since he missed out on the combat he's mentally projecting himself through Barry. No need to control himself if he's merged with another person.

Ah, yes, he learned this technique in Asia during his training.

:mad: Fuuuuck! Barry, you idiot! For someone who can think faster than anyone alive, you are so dumb!

Eh. Making nuanced choices about when to let mass murderers go unpunished kind of isn't going to be the strong point of a costumed vigilante, for obvious reasons.

I mean, the overlap between "people who are okay with the idea that life is complicated and sometimes evil-doers get to walk away scot-free because someone with more power is protecting them, and it's just not worth the potential fallout of provoking the person with power" and "people who make it their life's focus to dress up in colorful costumes and punch evil-doers in the face because traditional law enforcement isn't doing a good enough job for their tastes" is probably pretty limited.

I like this chapter. Flash just straight up murkle-ating the Sheeda, including said queen, please me.

Though I can't decide if I'm amused, or want to dope slap him, after OL's whole "Man, I don't even care about this now." moment.

...I think Paul might actually be about to get angry here, could derail the fight quite a bit.
So I'm under the impression the Hal just got bitch smacked down to the planet. Or are we thinking that a stray blast of his is headed that way?

I get that Barry was angry at the idea that the Sheeda might go into exile here instead of facing justice, but I was expecting him to argue about it instead of immediately turning murderous. He didn't even wait to see if that was the option Lord Malvolio was going to take.
Wanton mass murder is something that is rather hard to stomach. It requires either a level of detachment that few people possess, or a level of willpower much the same.

I mean, had you come across a WW2 death camp, could you hold back from thrashing the first German soldier you saw?

Were I the one who appeared in Earth 16 orbit with a power ring. One of the very first things I'd do once I got situated is murder Joker so hard there wouldn't even be a molecule of him left.

Somehow, when they get back to Earth, I think Barry is going to be deep, deep in the shit.
From...whom? His peers in the Justice League? Some of them maybe. Maybe.

But it's not like Barry has a boss in his Flash persona. Best they can do is yell at him, or kick him off the League. One is mostly pointless, and the other an active detriment to their organization. Barry is going to keep Flash-ing regardless.

Is someone going to beat him up? I mean maybe Diana might take umbrage. But I can't see her going that far....it'd be stupid and pointless. She clearly wouldn't want to kill him, and he's so much faster than her that anything less than her best will just leave her getting her ass kicked.

yes, even during breakfast - you'll never see anyone eating cereal as angrily as he does
I pictured it, and it made me laugh far harder than it probably should.

And isn't it nice that she instinctively supports her team mate in this situation?
Am I detecting a bit of passive-aggressive bitter snark here OL?

Last edited:
But it's not like Barry has a boss in his Flash persona. Best they can do is yell at him, or kick him off the League. One is mostly pointless, and the other an active detriment to their organization. Barry is going to keep Flash-ing regardless.

I think some therapy is in his future.

Is someone going to beat him up? I mean maybe Diana might take umbrage. But I can't see her going that far....it'd be stupid and pointless. She clearly wouldn't want to kill him, and he's so much faster than her that anything less than her best will just leave her getting her ass kicked.

Hmm, Diana has sometimes been shown as being incredibly fast herself, to the point she's been sometimes compared to be running at light speed(comic book logic so you know it has a lot of holes in it), so she may be able to give Flash a real challenge.

Plus she may have sparred with Jay, so has some experience in fighting super fast people.

Yes, you are.

OL can be a real passive-aggressive bitch sometimes.

I didn't catch this at all. What event caused this internal snark? I have some vague memories of Diana perhaps doubting him at certain points, but nothing really stands out in my mind.

Hmm, Diana has sometimes been shown as being incredibly fast herself, to the point she's been sometimes compared to be running at light speed(comic book logic so you know it has a lot of holes in it), so she may be able to give Flash a real challenge.

I think it's the "daughter of Zeus" version that is one of the fastest characters in DC, and that's because, when combined with her blessings, she was just so well trained, that her body had no wasted movements. I think only Wally and Barry were listed as being faster, with Diana and Cheetah being the 3rd and 4th fastest. I once watched a video or saw a web article that compared everybody's speed.

In the YJ canon, ignoring Lanterns, I believe Flash is the fastest, followed by Jay Garrick, then, Shazam, then Superman (per the Shazam wiki page - show creator). I would think WW would come after Superman.

That's fair. Even without all the murder, it would be a shockingly terrible place for people to actually get therapy (regularly memory wiping your robot therapists does not lend itself to building rapport with patients!)
If we have Robo therapists, Why not have AI/Audio Cassette Therapists created. An AI on a discman that can't connect to anything but its headphone jack. Each Leaguer can have a Therapist with them at all times. Queen Industries/Wayne Tech could totally fund this kind of thing and have them mass produced for soldiers and cops and first responders, then have them for everyone.

Also didn't OL learn Hermes was basically only Male god friendly with the creation of diana and blessed her?

I didn't catch this at all. What event caused this internal snark? I have some vague memories of Diana perhaps doubting him at certain points, but nothing really stands out in my mind.

I think it's the "daughter of Zeus" version that is one of the fastest characters in DC, and that's because, when combined with her blessings, she was just so well trained, that her body had no wasted movements. I think only Wally and Barry were listed as being faster, with Diana and Cheetah being the 3rd and 4th fastest. I once watched a video or saw a web article that compared everybody's speed.

In the YJ canon, ignoring Lanterns, I believe Flash is the fastest, followed by Jay Garrick, then, CAPTAIN MARVEL, then Superman (per the CAPTAIN MARVEL wiki page - show creator). I would think WW would come after Superman.
Fixed that for you.

Well played, good sir. I also hate that name change. It makes no sense that his transformation trigger is his name. I suppose intent has to be involved, so he can say his name without transforming.

Blame those conflicts DC had with Marvel comics over the fact that both of their characters shared the same superhero name.

They called his comics Shazam since the 70s, so a lot of people thought that was his name.

I think some therapy is in his future.
Hey, Guy's available.

Plus she may have sparred with Jay, so has some experience in fighting super fast people.
I could imagine the Jay, but I don't remember Diana EVER being that fast. I think WoZ is that her top speed is like 70 mph in flight so...

Yes, you are.

OL can be a real passive-aggressive bitch sometimes.
I'm just surprised he's still salty at her.

I'm not sure. The Nabu incident still?

I'm thinking of her death in Seven Soldiers, the mystery is what you're thinking of.

She got stabbed by Sir Ystin, shot by Spider, fell in the street, and then hit by Bulleteer's car.

The next panel is Bulleteer being told she's the only one who survived the car accident, so RIP Gloriana and Sally Sonic.

And "The spear thrown by Mighty Aurakles 42,000 years ago has finally found its mark," is the narration on the next page by one of the Seven Unknown Men of Slaughter Swamp for those that wasn't blatant enough.
I think you and he missed what that was about then.

It wasn't that she could be killed by a car, it was that she could only be killed by a descendant of Aurakles.

I didn't catch this at all. What event caused this internal snark? I have some vague memories of Diana perhaps doubting him at certain points, but nothing really stands out in my mind

The Nabu thing maybe.

When Giovanni put the helmet on she didn't stop him, but now when a powerful being is trying to hurt a comrade she's trying to stop said being.

I could imagine the Jay, but I don't remember Diana EVER being that fast. I think WoZ is that her top speed is like 70 mph in flight so...

I remember once watching a video in which Diana was said to have light speed levels of speed, and even had a page from the comic where it said that, but I don't remember the exact video, so sorry.

I'm just surprised he's still salty at her.

He can hold a grudge.

Billy Batson as Captain Marvel came decades before Marvel's Captain Mar-vell though.

Yeah, but that didn't stop the legal disputes, and I guess either DC lost them or just chose to change the name so they'd stop.

He can, but in this case he's being genuine. It IS nice that she's demonstrating that she learned from her failure and is actively avoiding repeating it.
Really, cause to me it seem like just taking the default hero choice without thinking things through.

Where if some one on your side decides to up and start killing people during the diplomatic negotiations/peace talks/truce, instead of deciding to join in on violating the peace yourself and turn on the other attendees, how about shooting the guy who committed the war crime instead? Even if he is on your own team?

Or if you want to be fair, check you guy for signs of enemy mental control in case this is a false flag operation by the Sheeda to gain a ruling in their favor. But attacking the guy hosting because someone on your side flipped his shit is not kosher.

Last I knew, Marvel scarfed up the copyright in a small window when DC wasn't paying attention.

Not exactly. Buckle up, because this is kind of a fun ride.

The Billy Batson Captain Marvel was created by Fawcett Comics in 1939. In the 50s, DC sued him out of existence due to similarities to Superman (in a roller coaster of a lawsuit that involved DC fucking up and almost losing the rights to Superman, and the ultimate decision being given by a judge with the comics-worthy name of, I kid you not, Learned Hand).

In the 60s, a company called M.F. Enterprises did a short-lived bootleg version of Captain Marvel (an android who could split and rejoin his body parts by yelling Split-Xam, and had a kid sidekick named Billy Baxton). Marvel Comics--who had only recently started publishing superhero comics under that name--got pissed off at anyone except them using the name 'Marvel' in this field, and so created a character called Captain Marvel just to stop other people from using the name.

In the 70s, DC bought the rights to use Captain Marvel from what was left of Fawcett (which had long since left superhero comics behind, and was at that point only publishing Dennis the Menace comics).

However, trademarks require use to maintain, and with a gap that long, the clock for those rights as a brand identifier was essentially starting all over again. This means that DC has the right to use the character, but can only use his name within something, not as the actual title.

If you've ever wondered why some characters pop up again every few years, that's why. If a trademark hasn't been used in three years, there's a presumption that it's been abandoned, so any character that DC/Marvel doesn't want to risk is probably going to get something with their name in the title every two years or so.

(Bonus super-fun comics IP fact: Marvel and DC jointly own a series of trademark registrations for the term 'super hero' and 'super heroes', which are almost certainly completely bullshit, but just not worth the money for anyone to go through the lawsuit needed to fight them on it.)

(Bonus super-fun comics IP fact: Marvel and DC jointly own a series of trademark registrations for the term 'super hero' and 'super heroes', which are almost certainly completely bullshit, but just not worth the money for anyone to go through the lawsuit needed to fight them on it.)

I thought it was that one owned "super hero" and the other "superhero" (Marvel and DC, respectively). I could be completely wrong, though, because I don't care. It's stupid, like most trademark BS when it comes to common words.

Hmmm seeing flash fight like this made me want to read something that elaborates/explores on the superspeed power, does anyone have a good fic to recommend?

Hey, Guy's available.
Not to belittle a therapist role in one's mental health and the good it does to be able to rely on someone trained to help you process trauma, BUT I've been thinking that other than pony-land-friendwhip-therapy it would also be interesting to see the comic-book aspects of this setting come into play when dealing with that sort of thing. Not sure about the AI cassette therapist someone talked about, and I'm not very knowledgeable about comics to make a specific suggestion but.. maybe something with magic, relating to souls, the dreaming, or even the emotional spectrum would be interesting to see explored, like Renegate sort of did with the anti life arc.

I mean, had you come across a WW2 death camp, could you hold back from thrashing the first German soldier you saw?

To be honest, many of the Guards at the concentration camps were killed on sight.... Even those already in custody as POW's.

As far as I can remember, no one got in trouble for it. At most, some finger wagging. The Officers were 'usually' kept alive because they were kept separately from enlisted and were needed for intelligence purposes, but it was not a guarantee.

I love the diplomatic route, and I am sad that they were unable to go down it, but I don't blame Barry Allen at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back