• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

I'm familiar with the Hawk-storyline mostly from the DCAU and CW Arrowverse continuities, which both put their own spin on the story. Just to clarify, Vandal Savage has no connection to Hath-Set right?

Yeah, knife switches used to be the standard like 100 years ago but are rarely used nowadays. Main situations are when someone wants to evoke Dr. Frankenstein, or if you're doing an experiment or demonstration where you want to be able to see from across the room whether the switch is open or closed. Due to the exposed metal bits they tend to be too dangerous.

Mad Scientists use them for fun. And because they are easy to label with on and off and big enough so experiments can use them too.

"Is traditional and also fun. You have no idea how lame is to turn on your creation for the first time with just a regular switch. Cackling is optional but recommended."

...far more easily than a gas thrusters would...
Unnecessary word, given the plural 'thrusters'

"The aim is to get to Thanagar as fast as possible. You are far faster than me."
Should Dul's dialog be orange for ring communications, or is it radio so the others can hear?

Mr Cantrell lets out a huff-laugh. "Yeah, we did. Mine aren't sure whether I've gone crazy or not, and Joe and Megan Parker are pretty sure we have."
To be honest, it does sound kind of crazy...

"Oh! Sorry." There's a flick of light as the teleporter activates once more.
"Oh! Sorry." There's a flicker of light as the teleporter activates once more.
(Unless it was intentional?)

"The other thanagarians, the ones who died during the crash, or… Just after. Chay-ara thought the Kahndaqi reverence for the physical remains of the dead was… Bizarre."
...Ew. Practical, but Ew.

Mr Cantrell shrugs, his wing harness moving as he does so. "Son, I'm human, and unlike your mother I always have been. Where did you think these wings came from?"
I repeat: Ew.

"Of course, if you stay on Thanagar long term… It won't be a problem."
As others have noted, Destiny is not so easily foiled.

"Huh." He and his fiancé look at each other.
"Huh." He and his fiancee look at each other.
(The former is the masculine term... Though if this is how you'd spell it anyway, so be it.)

And they're off! Now to look forward to the imminent, assorted mayhem...

Last edited:
Unnecessary word, given the plural 'thrusters'
"Oh! Sorry." There's a flick of light as the teleporter activates once more.
"Oh! Sorry." There's a flicker of light as the teleporter activates once more.
(Unless it was intentional?)
"Huh." He and his fiancé look at each other.
"Huh." He and his fiancee look at each other.
(The former is the masculine term... Though if this is how you'd spell it anyway, so be it.)
Thank you, corrected.
"The aim is to get to Thanagar as fast as possible. You are far faster than me."
Should Dul's dialog be orange for ring communications, or is it radio so the others can hear?
She's using the ship's communication system.

Destiny isn't nearly so easy to thwart Paul.

True - but it would help since by conventional means he can't reincarnate on another planet - remember, we're still sticking with the whole each planet's afterlives are unique thing. Without help from an Endless or something that actually controls reincarnation, Hath-Set won't be able to reincarnate on Thanagar. Would be able to go there manually - but that would take a while and he would stick out preety bad. The other option is he manages to attack them from Earth, i.e. hire an assassin (Lobo) or space laser Thanagar or something.

I find it weird how after 7000 years Thanagarian society and technology are seemingly more or less the same.

That sort of stasis implies intend and manipulation, doesn't it?

*Shrug* it was mentioned a couple updates ago that she's not sure if she's actually from the one 7,000 years ago or not. It could also be intentional as a throwback to the good ol' days after the equality plague. Kinda like how the marble pillars on a lot of federal buildings in real life are nods to greco-roman stuff.

I find it weird how after 7000 years Thanagarian society and technology are seemingly more or less the same.

That sort of stasis implies intend and manipulation, doesn't it?
If it works, keep it. There may be better methods of space travel, but they may require a complete technological revolution. So this may be the best they can do for now, if they haven't had any periods of real stability.

Also, Chay-ara said she may have time/dimension traveled at the beginning of this arc. In that case, technology HAS changed, but her ship came from some equivalent of modern Thanagar.

*Shrug* it was mentioned a couple updates ago that she's not sure if she's actually from the one 7,000 years ago or not. It could also be intentional as a throwback to the good ol' days after the equality plague. Kinda like how the marble pillars on a lot of federal buildings in real life are nods to greco-roman stuff.
That's an architectural style - modern buildings are actually more advanced than Greco-Roman ones - they have actual windows for one. In this case, the abilities of technology haven't advanced. Making ships out of Nth Metal makes sense - it's their source of power, but that their uses for it haven't advanced doesn't quite. That, or they decided that their current flight speed is good enough and just stoped improving it. They may believe that FTL is impossible, and either teleport without moving - Zeta Tube, and use ships to slowly go make Zeta endpoints, going a little less than FTL, or have just given up on Nth Metal tech for FTL - and be behind in all other technology types. Or Chay-ara just isn't from Thanagar 16

Last edited:
There's the DC Rebirth storyline where they introduce tenth Metal, explaining that god Metal is eighth Metal, Nth Metal is actually 9th Metal, and the stuff New Gods use for their tech is tenth Metal, Element X, a combination of 5 metals including Nth and eighth Metal. So according to DC, orichalcum is close to Nth metal, but a step worse. Not sure how this compares to old canon, but it sort of makes sense. Does sound kind of dumb and unnecessary, what with saying they're somehow unique elements, though Nth Metal is apparently Fe-676, an isotope of Ferum (Iron).

Not true in this fic, obviously, since Zoat doesn't like Rebirth.

Last edited:
If being exposed to Nth Metal is what caused the Hawks to reincarnate, does that mean the same is true of the blacksmiths and leaders and everyone who uses Nth Metal on Thanagar? Or is that because it's from another universe and possibly exposed to the warp?

Last edited:
True - but it would help since by conventional means he can't reincarnate on another planet - remember, we're still sticking with the whole each planet's afterlives are unique thing. Without help from an Endless or something that actually controls reincarnation, Hath-Set won't be able to reincarnate on Thanagar. Would be able to go there manually - but that would take a while and he would stick out preety bad. The other option is he manages to attack them from Earth, i.e. hire an assassin (Lobo) or space laser Thanagar or something.
This isn't natural reincarnation, it's Destiny magic.

Now, Paul could probably break it since he's likely not in Destiny's book, but he would have to be there to metaphorically stick a knife in the guy when he eventually attacks.

There's the DC Rebirth storyline where they introduce tenth Metal, explaining that god Metal is eighth Metal, Nth Metal is actually 9th Metal, and the stuff New Gods use for their tech is tenth Metal, Element X, a combination of 5 metals including Nth and eighth Metal. So according to DC, orichalcum is close to Nth metal, but a step worse. Not sure how this compares to old canon, but it sort of makes sense. Does sound kind of dumb and unnecessary, what with saying they're somehow unique elements, though Nth Metal is apparently Fe-676, an isotope of Ferum.

As far as I know, pre-Rebirth, there was no given origin for Nth Metal, it just was.

Zoat's take, that it was made by the Seven Devils, makes sense, considering how intimately tied Synn is to Nth Metal, so Zoat extrapolated the origin.

But Nth Metal being Iron 676 is from the Justice League cartoon, and doesn't apply outside of the Justice League Cartoon, anymore than Darkseid sounding like "Weird Al" Yankovic applying outside of Teen Titans Go, unless of course, a writer wants to make it apply.

Although now I'm picturing an alt.Paul who has a hard time taking Darkseid seriously when he sounds like the singer of Eat It. :)

This isn't natural reincarnation, it's Destiny magic.

Now, Paul could probably break it since he's likely not in Destiny's book, but he would have to be there to metaphorically stick a knife in the guy when he eventually attacks.
They would never have gone to Thanagar without Paul giving them the idea. Having them stay there is also his idea. While he may not be directly acting, he is still changing their futures by affecting their choices. In a world without Paul, the world Destiny's book is written about, they never would have gone to Thanagar, so that may be enough to stop him.

As far as I know, pre-Rebirth, there was no given origin for Nth Metal, it just was.

Zoat's take, that it was made by the Seven Devils, makes sense, considering how intimately tied Synn is to Nth Metal, so Zoat extrapolated the origin.

But Nth Metal being Iron 676 is from the Justice League cartoon, and doesn't apply outside of the Justice League Cartoon, anymore than Darkseid sounding like "Weird Al" Yankovic applying outside of Teen Titans Go, unless of course, a writer wants to make it apply.

Although now I'm picturing an alt.Paul who has a hard time taking Darkseid seriously when he sounds like the singer of Eat It. :)
Not having seen the Arrowverse shows beyond a season or 2, wonder if those have any weird moments like that? Always found them really boring and formulaic.

Not having seen the Arrowverse shows beyond a season or 2, wonder if those have any weird moments like that? Always found them really boring and formulaic.

Well I can't think of things that would throw him as in he couldn't take them seriously, but Arrowverse has certainly reinterpreted things.

Vibe in the comics was a breakdancer with sound powers, so the whole arrowverse psychic slider thing he's got going on would be a surprise to an alt.Paul in the Arrowverse, as an example and Speedy certainly wasn't Ollie's little sister in the comics.

Well I can't think of things that would throw him as in he couldn't take them seriously, but Arrowverse has certainly reinterpreted things.

Vibe in the comics was a breakdancer with sound powers, so the whole arrowverse psychic slider thing he's got going on would be a surprise to an alt.Paul in the Arrowverse, as an example and Speedy certainly wasn't Ollie's little sister in the comics.
The thing I found weirdest is just how different from comics and similar to each other/ boring preety much every universe in the multiverse is. No communist universe. No victorian universe. No everyone's morality is flipped universe. They're all really similar to each other.

The thing I found weirdest is just how different from comics and similar to each other/ boring preety much every universe in the multiverse is. No communist universe. No victorian universe. No everyone's morality is flipped universe. They're all really similar to each other.
On a Watsonian level, it's probably something like "It takes more energy to alter our vibrational state to transfer to such a different parallel," or some such technobabble.
The Doylist reasoning? Presumably, The Budget didn't stretch to cover the wardrobe and sets needed to convey those settings... Same reason shows like Sliders never went to an Earth where everyone was a dinosaur-person (I think? Never watched it.)

On a Watsonian level, it's probably something like "It takes more energy to alter our vibrational state to transfer to such a different parallel," or some such technobabble.
The Doylist reasoning? Presumably, The Budget didn't stretch to cover the wardrobe and sets needed to convey those settings... Same reason shows like Sliders never went to an Earth where everyone was a dinosaur-person (I think? Never watched it.)
They kept there being 52 stable universes, but didn't keep the identities / numbering of the original comics series. Earth 2 is the universe where Jay Garrick is the flash. All the rest are in general fairly boring rehashes with some characters having fairly recently done different things, though I think there may have been one run by a version of Vandal Savage (not sure on that). Earth 3 is exactly the same - people still act and talk the same, but zeppelins are still used, though safer versions, as are tommy guns, despite modern tech being a thing as well.

Yes, the more out there worlds have been limited to cameos.

Like the Earth where cannibal cyborgs live lives of live action Fallout, somewhat similar to the atomic world of the Infinite Crisis video game.

Or the fantasy world where Wells the Grey went to the Wizarding School of Business and Necromancy. Although Cisco claims that the "spell of permanence" was actually a computer virus he can't manage to stop, so it might be technology pretending to be magic ala Abra.

Orichalcum might not do everything Nth metal can, but it serves just as well for hull plating. I'll keep recording what it does so that I can report back to Hephaestus and Vulcan about it.
Huh, I hadn't thought of that. They certainly could figure out how to make Nth metal couldn't they.

Wrong, hell is universal all the "planes of hell" are connected and travel between them is possible, ergo you can visit other worlds by going through hell and teleporting there.

If it works, keep it. There may be better methods of space travel, but they may require a complete technological revolution. So this may be the best they can do for now, if they haven't had any periods of real stability.

Also, Chay-ara said she may have time/dimension traveled at the beginning of this arc. In that case, technology HAS changed, but her ship came from some equivalent of modern Thanagar.
She could even be from Future Thanagar, and they're going to meet her parents before they got married.

Or the fantasy world where Wells the Grey went to the Wizarding School of Business and Necromancy. Although Cisco claims that the "spell of permanence" was actually a computer virus he can't manage to stop, so it might be technology pretending to be magic ala Abra.
... or Cisco just doesn't want to admit that it's magic. Either is possible by the text given.

Out of curiosity Mr Zoat, will you be incorporating Danny The Street sometime in the future? Ever since I've read about that particular heroic sentient piece of geography, they've always been one of my favorite Doom Patrol characters!

Especially since they've managed to put them in the live action series!

Considering the world-building you've engaged in the past, I'm actually curious as how you might spin his origins in how they became one of the world's most versatile and mobile Genius Loci, ever since they started out as just "Danny The Brick".

Thank you, corrected.
Out of curiosity Mr Zoat, will you be incorporating Danny The Street sometime in the future? Ever since I've read about that particular heroic sentient piece of geography, they've always been one of my favorite Doom Patrol characters!

Especially since they've managed to put them in the live action series!

Considering the world-building you've engaged in the past, I'm actually curious as how you might spin his origins in how they became one of the world's most versatile and mobile Genius Loci, ever since they started out as just "Danny The Brick".

Almost certainly not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back