• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Personally, I'd just make it the size of a football field. Bigger is better, right? :V

Why would you do that?
People in different parts of the world have different tastes in chocolate. But in the case of America it's not a matter of small differences in the proportion of cocoa solids or sugar; they want curdled milk rather than fresh milk. That's a major ingredient that you have to change, so you can't really use the same production line.

Also, I was deliberately being insulting.
How does that work? This is the state church, yes? Which being part of the state apparatus could be considered a quasi government building. Having local inhabitants responsible for the upkeeps sounds like it would be assessed as some tax levy equivalent. But an assessment divided among all residents normally isn't much per individual, at least when compared to insurance payments and insurance deductibles.

Is this something that came bundled 'free' with a renters or homeowners policy, are are you paying $5 dollars or so a month prevent your 1/whateverth share of a possible $20,000 roof repair levy?
£2 a month on a separate policy.
Missing comma after "Komand'r"
Gordanians
Thank you, corrected.

Maladaptive (part 1)
Maladaptive

21st July 2012
08:47 GMT -7

"No, no, not the fights."

I shake my head as Lantern Rrab splits her attention between me and the Coast City traffic below us.

"I mean Earth societies. The way Earth civilisation works. I know what the fights are like, but I've never lived anywhere else for any length of time."

"Does this have something to do with why you sent me that book concerning… Human… Intimate relations?"

"Sort of. Any society is going to have to have laws against theft and assault in order to function, but rules and customs concerning personal conduct can… Vary more. Something that's perfectly normal where you come from might be highly offensive to people somewhere else, without there being an obvious sign you could see in advance. And since I've never been to your homeworld, I felt that a primer might help you avoid some of... You heard about the-?"

"The spider?" She ducks her head as she smiles. "Yes."

"So you see where I'm coming from."

"According to Ghia'ta, it's your behaviour towards Zatanna that I should avoid copying."

"So avoid copying it. But I wasn't just wondering whether or not you find humans attractive, because I know that you do. But relationships between people from different cultures can be awkward, and that's only made bigger if-."

"But you got me a book on relationships." Her eyes narrow slightly. "If Wonder Woman or Troia lassoed you and I asked you why you chose that subject, what would you say?"

"Why do you ask?"

"Green Lanterns must learn to be criminal investigators. Not every criminal will fly up to us wearing a colourful costume. So I've been spending time with Robin. He says that if someone volunteers something then they're probably thinking about it."

"Jordan's a good man. As my culture defines that concept. And that's not the only-"

Her eyes widen. "A-ahh…"

"-reasonable definition of good, and… I can understand why-."

"I didn't need-." She nods. "Hal's always been very clear about how he sees me. Even his mother's been mothering me."

"Okay. I'll consider that handled-."

"Ghia'ta thinks I should still… Try to change his mind. Slowly."

"Ghia'ta is a wonderful and undoubtably well-intentioned person. However, I think that she's been… Adversely affected by growing up in a single colour monocultural environment. Intellectually, I appreciate-."

Her ring blinks, then her eyes shimmer. Her eyes drop to the roads below us at once.

"Something important?"

"A report of dangerous driving."

I nod. Dangerous driving isn't necessarily a serious crime by itself, until the dangerousness overflows into vehicular manslaughter. And stopping a car is much less easy for normal police than it is for-

Lantern Rrab stoops and swoops, diving down towards one of the city's main thoroughfares.

-us. I wait a moment as I have my ring analyse patterns of traffic movement-. There we are. And then I raise my right forefingers to my forehead,

step out

and reappear just ahead of the hurtling car. They're driving fast, but a quick scan of the objects and vehicles that they've passed shows no damage at all. I watch as they weave around traffic at an intersection with considerable skill. If they're getting someone to hospital-.

I frown at the confused mess of entrapment and-. The man inside the car is banging on the sunroof, his hands off the steering wheel which is turning on its own. His foot's off both the accelerator and brake pedals but I can see the car do both.

Automatic drive system gone very wrong?

Lantern Rrab swoops down, a band of green energy reaching out and forming a car lift construct under the car. The car tries to swerve again as she lifts it clear of the road and up into the Coast City sky.

Huh. Clearly something odd going on there, but I'll let Lantern Rrab take the lead.

She flies level with the driver side window and looks at the man inside. Who rather than winding the window down and explaining himself instead beats his fists against the inside of the window. But no sound gets transmitted through the glass. Lantern Rrab frowns, then scans the door, light seeping around the locking mechanism.

Lantern Rrab looks confused. "I've forced the lock but the door's still stuck."

And the wheels are still turning. Continuing to look like automatic control gone wrong, except that I can't detect a control signal or any way to receive it. A more detailed scan of the car reveals no automatic drive system. It doesn't even have an automatic gearbox.

"I suggest cutting through the glass."

"Do human cars do this?"

"Not usually. This car doesn't appear to have any self-drive systems."

A protractor construct appears and scratches a circle in the glass. The man inside realises what Lantern Rrab is about to do and climbs into the back seat. Once he's clear the protractor spins up, slowly eating through the glass-.

There's a crack as it punches through, a neat circle of glass falling into the car.

"Oh thank God!" The man leans through the gap between the front seats. "Can you get me out of here?"

"The door's stuck; I'll have to rip it off."

"Go right ahead! I'm insured!"

Lantern Rrab nods, and a mechanical clamp construct unfolds on each side of the door, connected to a large robotic arm. The arm strains for a moment and then there's a tearing noise as the door comes free.

I extend a filament to the passenger and lift him out while Lantern Rrab scans the car.

"Sir?" He glances down at the city below us before returning his attention to me. "Do you know what happened?"

"The f-. Car started driving itself! I got in and turned the ignition, then the doors locked and it took off!"

"Do you know where it was heading?"

"That was… That was the route I usually take to work. But I never drive like that!"

"Did the car say anything to you?"

"Just the radio. It was playing, I didn't… Turn it on."

Curious. I turn to Lantern Rrab.

"It's your case. But I suggest taking this gentleman to his place of work."

She nods. "We'll start there."

Last edited:
Rereading the Warhammer omakes, (which personally I hope we'll see more of in the future), I have to wonder if Paul should expect trouble from The Fay Enchantress if he has magisters from the Imperial Colleges of Magic set up shop in the community he's building to teach the kids who would have been snatched up by the Enchantress to become "Grail Damsels" or "Sons of Bretonnia".

MALLOBAUDE: Why not have your Dark Elf sorceress teach the children Magic instead?

ARANEI: Pft-HAHAHAHAHA!

PAUL: .....I want you to think on that sentence, VERY hard.

Actually, I would go a bit larger than just a shipping container. Enough to fit a modular house (trailer) through. Because one of the benefits of transportation is the ability to construct at one place, and ship to another. Which would also cover a shipping container plus the thing moving it.

Then again, I'd also want to make sure to design the portals to do oval if at all possible.
The greatest flaw of the stargate, was you couldn't sent an inactive stargate through a stargate.
Because a stargate wouldn't fit through a stargate. And oval standard could bypass that.
Sent the portal and IT mages most of the way through the existing network, travel the rest of the distance on some transport that also fits through the portal, set it up, send new portal through as needed to extend network the same way.
Or just a gate you can take apart into several sections.
It bugged me that they always went through on foot, when they could have easily taken a jeep through to increase the ground they could cover and carry more gear.
Personally, I'd just make it the size of a football field. Bigger is better, right? :V
It's a lot harder to makes them bigger.

is this gonna be Rrab cherry pop, cause i don't think she gotten herself into an Earth-grade case yet ever since she came here

i can't remember, did she come before or after the Sheda

Maladaptive

21st July 2012
08:47 GMT -7

"No, no, not the fights."

I shake my head as Lantern Rrab splits her attention between me and the Coast City traffic below us.
Ah, looking in on a Lantern colleague? And no doubt feeling out whether she's been trying to take any action towards that canonical crush on Hal Jordan. The trick is going about it in a way that doesn't upset her or make her more determined to succeed.

"I mean Earth societies. The way Earth civilisation works. I know what the fights are like, but I've never lived anywhere else for any length of time."

"Does this have something to do with why you sent me that book concerning… Human… Intimate relations?"
Oh my, OL. I mean, that's one heck of a thing to give a young lady. Even one who no doubt has a limited knowledge of human relationships, no matter how experienced she might be at home.

"Sort of. Any society is going to have to have laws against theft and assault in order to function, but rules and customs concerning personal conduct can… Vary more. Something that's perfectly normal where you come from might be highly offensive to people somewhere else, without there being an obvious sign you could see in advance. And since I've never been to your homeworld, I felt that a primer might help you avoid some of... You heard about the-?"

"The spider?" She ducks her head as she smiles. "Yes."
I'm pretty sure at this point, the entire Green Lantern Corps, from greenest Rookie to Guardian, knows about The Spider. I can see Guy blabbing about it to everyone he knows... As for the former part, yes, that is very true. Interestingly, Fictional societies usually default to the laws and social mores of their writer's experience, unless they're making a point (Like Heinlein. Seriously, 'Stranger in a Strange Land'...o_O)

"So you see where I'm coming from."

"According to Ghia'ta, it's your behaviour towards Zatanna that I should avoid copying."
Yes, that would be a good start. Like being frank about your intentions outright at the start. I'll admit, Zatanna's little Love-fueled freakout back during the dragon fight was a vanishingly-rare example, but still.

"So avoid copying it. But I wasn't just wondering whether or not you find humans attractive, because I know that you do. But relationships between people from different cultures can be awkward, and that's only made bigger if-."

"But you got me a book on relationships." Her eyes narrow slightly. "If Wonder Woman or Troia lassoed you and I asked you why you chose that subject, what would you say?"
Come on, OL. Just say it. Dancing around the issue like this is just confusing the lady. At this point, I would not be surprised if she thought he was concerned she was following Zatanna's example. Towards him.

"Why do you ask?"

"Green Lanterns must learn to be criminal investigators. Not every criminal will fly up to us wearing a colourful costume. So I've been spending time with Robin. He says that if someone volunteers something then they're probably thinking about it."
:eek: Holy shit, a Lantern actually looking into gaining investigative skills on their own time? Amazing!

"Jordan's a good man. As my culture defines that concept. And that's not the only-"

Her eyes widen. "A-ahh…"
And this is where she remembers he can see desires. Like say, a handsome older colleague... :oops:

"-reasonable definition of good, and… I can understand why-."

"I didn't need-." She nods. "Hal's always been very clear about how he sees me. Even his mother's been mothering me."
Also the fact you've more or less been set onto the junior team. A little thought would make it all too clear how he, and the other League members, sees you...

"Okay. I'll consider that handled-."

"Ghia'ta thinks I should still… Try to change his mind. Slowly."
o_O Please don't pay attention to the culturally-proto-Yandere's suggestions. She's not the best judge of reasonable attraction...

"Ghia'ta is a wonderful and undoubtably well-intentioned person. However, I think that she's been… Adversely affected by growing up in a single colour monocultural environment. Intellectually, I appreciate-."

Her ring blinks, then her eyes shimmer. Her eyes drop to the roads below us at once.
Ah, business calls? Hopefully not too severe a case of Earth Bullshit.

"Something important?"

"A report of dangerous driving."
Well, this'll take about two seconds to clean up. Seriously, Lanterns.

I nod. Dangerous driving isn't necessarily a serious crime by itself, until the dangerousness overflows into vehicular manslaughter. And stopping a car is much less easy for normal police than it is for-

Lantern Rrab stoops and swoops, diving down towards one of the city's main thoroughfares. I wait a moment as I have my ring analyse patterns of traffic movement-. There we are. And then I raise my right forefingers to my forehead,
The biggest question is drunk or desperate to flee? Either one has potential for dumb choices behind the wheel...

step out

and reappear just ahead of the hurtling car. They're driving fast, but a quick scan of the objects and vehicles that they've past shows no damage at all. I watch as they weave around traffic at an intersection with considerable skill. If they're getting someone to hospital-.
Okay, that's a legitimate possibility. Especially if the part of town they started in hasn't the best record for response times. Or they can't afford an ambulance, a common problem to the best of my knowledge...

I frown at the confused mess of entrapment and-. The man inside the car is banging on the sunroof, his hands off the steering wheel which is turning on its own. His foot's off both the accelerator and break pedals but I can see the car do both.

Automatic drive system gone very wrong?
Very wrong indeed. Some manner of remote hacking allowing the car to be driven like a GTA player would?

Lantern Rrab swoops down, a band of green energy reaching out and forming a car lift construct under the car. The car tries to swerve again as she lifts it clear of the road and up into the Coast City sky.

Huh. Clearly something odd going on there, but I'll let Lantern Rrab take the lead.
It's her case, technically. You aren't on duty as Earth's Orange Lantern at the moment, if I remember right. In fact, aren't you kind of technically still on medical leave?

She flies level with the driver side window and looks at the man inside. Who rather than winding the window down and explaining himself instead beats his fists against the inside of the window. But no sound gets transmitted through the glass. Lantern Rrab frowns, then scans the door, light seeping around the locking mechanism.

Lantern Rrrab looks confused. "I've forced the lock but the door's still stuck."
Curiouser and curiouser. Magic or technological cause? Runestone-scan time, OL?

And the wheels are still turning. Continuing to look like automatic control gone wrong, except that I can't detect a control signal or any way to receive it. A more detailed scan of the car reveals no automatic drive system. It doesn't even have an automatic gearbox.

"I suggest cutting through the glass."
So the car is, somehow, running through a preprogrammed course at dangerous speeds? Anyone able to peg that as within a DC character's abilities?

"Do human cars do this?"

"Not usually. This car doesn't appear to have any self-drive systems."

A protractor construct appears and scratches a circle in the glass. The man inside realises what Lantern Rrab is about to do and climbs into the back seat. Once he's clear the protractor spins up, slowly eating through the glass-.
Such prosaic constructs for the lady. I suppose it's a mite bit more controllable than a Crumbler.

There's a crack as it punches through, a neat circle of glass falling into the car.

"Oh thank God!" The man leans through the gap between the front seats. "Can you get me out of here?"
Definitely shows the driver wasn't responsible for this. If anything, it sounds like he's a victim in all this. Wonder if the cops will see it that way?

"The door's stuck; I'll have to rip it off."

"Go right ahead! I'm insured!"
He must have a great policy to cover superheroic damage. Then again, he does live in Coast City, more or less recognised as 'The home of Green Lantern', as they proudly declare on their billboards..

Lantern Rrab nods, and a mechanical clamp construct unfolds on each side of the door, connected to a large robotic arm. The arm strains for a moment and then there's a tearing noise as the door comes free.

I extend a filament to the passenger and lift him out while Lantern Rrab scans the car.
Clean and professional. Not quite two seconds, but I doubt the whole thing took more than a minute or two.

"Sir?" He glances down at the city below us before returning his attention to me. "Do you know what happened?"

"The f-. Car started driving itself! I got in and turned the ignition, then the doors locked and it took off!"
:rolleyes: Moderating his language in consideration of the 'little girl' present, I see. Still, that's a strange course of events. Whatever was done to the car didn't kick in until it was running? Odd...

"Do you know where it was heading?"

"That was… That was the route I usually take to work. But I never drive like that!"
I should hope so. Still, interesting. The car was going a path travelled many times before? I wonder, would it have pulled into a coffee-shop drive-thru lane on the way? Would it have slowed down to do so, at that?

"Did the car say anything to you?"

"Just the radio. It was playing, I didn't… Turn it on."
Strange... I mean, who usually has their car radio turned off? :D

Curious. I turn to Lantern Rrab.

"It's your case. But I suggest taking this gentleman to his place of work."

She nods. "We'll start there."
Good of OL to make sure he's not late. Though I rather suspect his boss might be willing to let him have a sick day, once he hears what happens...

Well, a new episode begins. And we're back to OL, still recuperating on Earth, I see. And a very odd beginning to his day (Relatively speaking.) It'll be interesting to see what comes of it...

Lantern Rrrab looks confused. "I've forced the lock but the door's still stuck."

Oh my, OL. I mean, that's one heck of a thing to give a young lady. Even one who no doubt has a limited knowledge of human relationships, no matter how experienced she might be at home.

We know Paul's track record concerning relationships with teenage girls and romance is pretty shitty.

I'm pretty sure at this point, the entire Green Lantern Corps, from greenest Rookie to Guardian, knows about The Spider

Hell why just the GLC?

I'm betting everyone knows that now.

Overly Sarcastic Productions did an excellent video on this.

Hopefully not too severe a case of Earth Bullshit.

Chojin, one day we may not be able to support you anymore if you keep going to Murphy.

We can't do that Chojin, we can't emotionally support you forever.

Please stop.

Moderating his language in consideration of the 'little girl' present, I see

Or he just feels cursing is wrong and just had a momentary slip.

Strange... I mean, who usually has their car radio turned off? :D

My dad, before we sold the car.

No, 'clear of the road' is a legitimate usage.
Thank you, corrected.
Rereading the Warhammer omakes, (which personally I hope we'll see more of in the future), I have to wonder if Paul should expect trouble from The Fay Enchantress if he has magisters from the Imperial Colleges of Magic set up shop in the community he's building to teach the kids who would have been snatched up by the Enchantress to become "Grail Damsels" or "Sons of Bretonnia".
That won't happen because the edition I'm basing it on is before that became a thing.
Thank you, corrected.

My best guesses are either we're looking at AIs that are starting to take over everything mechanical, or magic that's bringing inanimate objects to life.

Is the Metal (the robotic/metallic equivalent to the Green and the Red) a New 52 thing or preceding that? Because if it's the latter, that's my current guess, even if it's more a fun idea than something plausible. Besides Swamp Thing's few appearances, there really hasn't been much done with the elemental Parliaments so far.

Is the Metal (the robotic/metallic equivalent to the Green and the Red) a New 52 thing or preceding that? Because if it's the latter, that's my current guess, even if it's more a fun idea than something plausible. Besides Swamp Thing's few appearances, there really hasn't been much done with the elemental Parliaments so far.

The Metal is n52.

So... is this the guy with control of machines who is a supervillain who froze themselves ages ago knowing that in the future machines would be way more used that in his time?

Hint, he appears in an old live Action Flash Direct to Video movie.

So... is this the guy with control of machines who is a supervillain who froze themselves ages ago knowing that in the future machines would be way more used that in his time?

Hint, he appears in an old live Action Flash Direct to Video movie.
I hope not, because I have no idea who that is.
Meaning it's the likely culprit given Zoats love of the New 52 and its excellent storytelling!
a29c83d0287318b04d5ca95226e45260.jpg

I know it's probably not the Metal though given the title of this episode, Maladaptive, and what the Metal tried to do in the comics, try to take over after emerging if I remember correctly, it would make a pretty good fit.

It's probably Kilg%ore though.

To those of you who don't know much about this character, he was basically an alien artificial intelligence that came to Earth and started stealing energy.

Or a metahuman with technopathy as was shown in The Flash.

Or the Calculator is up to something.

Though the last one may not be so likely.

Last edited:
And we are back to the far less interesting Paul. Sigh.

Also, who killed Spacebattles?

The Texas electrical grid!

Well not really but where ever it was they keep the server's they use lost power.
Sufficient Velocity got Whacked as well.

Good thing Questing's servers are in another castle.

as for who is hijacking cars?

Probably that bastard Codpiece.

Probably that bastard Codpiece.

Oh yeah, there was a DC villain named Codpiece, who had a gun strapped to his crotch.

I think he was a Doom Patrol villain, which makes perfect sense, given the fact that they have such an illustrious rogues gallery that includes the likes of Beard Hunter.

Now hopefully he'll show up in season 3 of Doom Patrol.

Last edited:
The Texas electrical grid!

Well not really but where ever it was they keep the server's they use lost power.
1d4chan's no Texas, is it? Because that went down a little while ago as well.
Sufficient Velocity got Whacked as well.

That has less of an impact on me.
Good thing Questing's servers are in another castle.
True.
as for who is hijacking cars?
To be fair, one car at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back