• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

You'd think, but the problem is Euanthe. She isn't going to like alien plant technology, for much the same reason that Swamp Thing doesn't

I suppose that's understandable for a nature spirit. I know she was boosted by Swamp Thing's fruit (and possibly the twig from the Tree in Eden, unless that just makes her more effective against demons), but is the worship she's receiving also metaphysically enhancing her and/or altering her nature in any way?
I assume the indigenous peoples have their own deities who still exist in some shape or form? Do they have any opinions or interactions with things? Also, how aware are the Olympians about Euanthe's activities? I'd be interested in Demeter's opinion as the most relevant; she's the goddess of agriculture aka cultivated/human-oriented plantlife though, so I'm not sure they would get along.

Yeah, I thought that's what happened too.
He told Paul the tribals died from exposure to germs and disease brought by Danner and other non-native intruders, with mention about how he saw kids/young adults coughing their lungs out. While the Danner Formula gives superhuman strength and durability it still leaves a person susceptible to non-physical injuries.

Yeah, I thought that's what happened too.
No, Alan didn't kill any of them. Roughed up severely, yes. Killed, no.
I suppose that's understandable for a nature spirit. I know she was boosted by Swamp Thing's fruit (and possibly the twig from the Tree in Eden, unless that just makes her more effective against demons), but is the worship she's receiving also metaphysically enhancing her and/or altering her nature in any way?
It makes it easier for her to interact with the devout.
I assume the indigenous peoples have their own deities who still exist in some shape or form? Do they have any opinions or interactions with things?
"Fat lot of good you did."

Wait, did you mean the people's opinions of the deities, or the deities' opinions of the recent changes?
Also, how aware are the Olympians about Euanthe's activities? I'd be interested in Demeter's opinion as the most relevant; she's the goddess of agriculture aka cultivated/human-oriented plantlife though, so I'm not sure they would get along.
Slightly aware. The Olympians haven't ever been worshipped in South America.

"Fat lot of good you did."

Wait, did you mean the people's opinions of the deities, or the deities' opinions of the recent changes?

The latter, though the former is nice to know too. Having things go largely the same in DC history despite the actual existence of deities and magic for the sake of having a modern setting that resembles the real world is its whole mess of issues that will probably always be a thing to just take as given.

Ah, so the Amazons of the Amazon aren't a thing here. Good to know.

While they're reprominance in the comics is post flashpoint, they did first show up in '84.

Who might have found the fountain of youth or something, becuase they were supposed to be mortal, not living on the island where they are kept immortal by the gods, yet the first generation of Amazons of the Amazon Rainforest who left Hippolyta's rule were still alive thousands of years later.

Which is pretty good run for a mortal.

No, Alan didn't kill any of them. Roughed up severely, yes. Killed, no.

I can't wait to see what kinda society forms from the Accala people since they now basically own Brazil since the Sheeda invasion.

You'd think, but the problem is Euanthe. She isn't going to like alien plant technology, for much the same reason that Swamp Thing doesn't.
Looks like he hated it being a plant-based parody of a human city.
J is like that, but Alstair isn't.
He doesn't have a problem with plant-based infrastructure in and of itself since he was fine providing Gotham with plants that made various goods.
Given the choice between polluting human tech and non-polluting alien plant tech, they would both prefer humans use the plant tech.

Hmm, given the green text he may have been focusing and used some device that responds to that focus.

They may have created tech that works by willing it to emulate the GLC.

It was probably a whole lot easier to find monsters rather than Dirty Harry's.

Capo Scott, to be exact.

And the ring either enhanced his asshole side with yellow corruption, or it didn't do anything and that was all him.

Hmm, given their combat training and law studying they may go on to be police officers or soldiers.

Plus he's very strong willed from suppressing his rage.

I think it was once mentioned that over half of the GLC is made up of former soldiers, cops or warriors, since their lifestyle would necessitate a strong will.

I think she stopped being that.

The thing she used at first was returned to the Zamarons and given what happened, like losing her mind and trying to either kill or brainwash the man she loved, she may not want to have anything to do with the Star Sapphire thing anymore.

To be fair to him he primarily created it to fight Darkseid.

If it was law enforcement organization, then there would be problems.

Paul has done far stupider things and empowered people that he should have never empowered.

Choosing Lonnie will be far from the dumbest thing he's done.

He can learn, like when he gave up on Luthor, but it takes him a long time.
We should place bets on how long it will take Lonnie to alter his brain chemistry (or alter his hormones to such an extent it alters his behavior, like Paul did).

Medidiction (part 10)
27th August 2012
00:57 GMT

Oh flip the heck yes.

Onik looks around in fascination at the printed books. They're not printed on paper; it's actually a type of plastic with the words being made of the same stuff in a different colour. But they're designed to look like leather-bound paper books, just like mine is. Toren has clearly been here before, so rather than stare at the books he's staring at the strands of orange that are radiating out of me to touch all of them.

Dul is standing at ease, waiting for me to start. Xor is next to her, but that's more because this part of the library isn't designed to be accessible to people of his size.

"Lantern Toren, it feels like the books and passages relating to fear have been accessed considerably more frequently than the rest of late."

"My fellow monks are the most likely to be called to replace me if I die. Sinestro has killed more Green Lanterns than anyone else in centuries."

"I didn't think you'd ever met him."

"I have not. But this monastery is the sort of place that he has shown himself inclined to attack. A place with a serving Green Lantern and others loyal to the Corps."

The Orange Lantern Corps doesn't have an official position on Sinestro. He hasn't allied with the Reach, so he isn't our problem. Dox told me that he hasn't spoken to him since their initial conversation, and there isn't any obvious reason for him to lie to me about it. Personally, I'd like to learn a little more about what he's trying to achieve before making a decision. Silver Age Sinestro was a Dark Kantian sort of guy, while Modern Age Sinestro was acting in the belief that order was the highest good and that it was best maintained through fear. I'd probably just kill the first one, but the second… Not sure.

"So you wanted to read about how other Green Lanterns have confronted and overcome their fears?"

Toren nods. "Since Sinestro's constructs are strengthened by fear, it seemed like the logical thing to do."

Ah, so many stories! And… Mostly lacking in the sort of detail I'd need, but they're a start!

"Well then. If fear's what you're worried about…"

I transition back to Xor and Dul.

"Let's do some sharing!"

Dul looks dubious. "What sort of sharing?"

"Fear. From what I'm reading, it seems that learning to respond to fear by strengthening their focus helps Green Lanterns punch through their problems. Several trained to confront their fears until the response was instinctive. Feel fear and focus, though…" I turn to Lantern Toren as he walks out of the stacks. "Don't try that against Sinestro. He knows that it's a standard technique and would almost certainly prepare to take advantage of your focus narrowing."

He nods. "I thought that he might. Of course, completely defeating my own fears is far more difficult than learning to work through them."

I frown.

"Wouldn't learning Sinestro's fears work better? He needs to command them to even use his ring."

"Sinestro did not become First Lantern by being weak-willed."

"Great! If he just focuses his mind to shut out everything else then his ring will stop working." I look at Onik. "Lantern Onik, would you mind demonstrating?"

He nods floating off the ground for a moment before his environmental shield shuts down and he lands lightly on the floor.

"Thank you. Sinestro spent a long time as a Green Lantern. If some responses from that time are ingrained, tricking him into falling back on them might work."

"I will try and turn that into an actual tactic and bear it in mind."

"I still catch Alan out like that sometimes."

"Who is 'Alan'?"

"Alan Scott? Got hold of Green Lantern Yalan Gur's power ring, used it for decades and then switched to a blue ring. Since that-."

"You mentioned a 'blue' Lantern earlier, but I don't know what those are."

We stare at each other for a moment.

"Isn't knowing this your religion?"

"I understand that Earth is a strange place."

"Alright, fine. The spectrum." I take a holographic display out of subspace and show the image. "Red, for rage and hate. Though Weaponer Kalmin uses a single word for it and I've never heard of anyone catalysing it with cold and calm hatred, so my label might be a cultural artefact. The Qwardians experimented with it, but couldn't ever harness it in a controlled way. Then orange for avarice, yellow for fear, green…"

"Then blue for hope, and as far as I know Alan Scott of Two Eight One Four is the only blue ring user currently active. Lovely man. Then we have indigo for compassion. They're active and recruiting, by the way, though I've only met one. And last of all violet, love. The favourite colour of the Zamarons. Two violet ring users are active on Earth, both running off sororal love, though one is highly interested in this 'romantic love' she's heard so much about."

"I have personally seen power rings of each of these colours. Each of these colours is an emotion you -collectively- have to learn to integrate." I reach out and take hold of Toren's right hand, and after a moment's consideration he doesn't resist me touching his ring. I pointedly make eye contact with Onik as I start to float. "This is not something that I have a problem with. I cannot be weakened by exposure to other emotions. And neither can Guy Gardner-"

Tora blushed when we told her how we were testing it, but I think she was pleased. Whow, I haven't spoken to her since… A… While.

"-and I'm pretty sure that Green Lantern Illustres Chaselon can't be either. Though remember that certain emotions are built into the universe while others aren't; you can feel any amount of joy or pride or boredom without it affecting ring use at all. One of the things I want to teach you to do is to redirect impulses from the other colours to fuel your use of the orange light."

Dul considers my monologue.

"Is that what you did to gain 'enlightenment'?"

"No. That was a rather different process."

"If we're trying to get what you have, shouldn't we do that instead?"

"You can. Step one, learn to turn off your ring without feeling a contradictory emotion. I did this without practice while merged with the Ophidian because I realised that continuing to feel avarice was making it impossible to get what I wanted. Step two, openly and honestly examine all of your desires and accept them all as part of who you are. Some of them will probably horrify you; that doesn't matter. They're still you."

"There is no step three." I smile sarcastically. "Simple, yes?"

Onik frowns, then raises his left hand slightly and stares at his ring.

His environmental shield stays on.

"Maybe you don't want it off hard enough."

"I don't think-"

His shield flares.

"-that's how it works, Great Master."

"No. It isn't. So since Lantern Dul was having trouble with rage earlier, let's start with that."

Last edited:
is feels like the books

'it feels'

Lantern Toren, is feels like the books and passages relating to fear have been accessed considerably more frequently than the rest of late."

Probably due to Sinestro.

But this monastery is the sort of place that he has shown himself inclined to attack. A place with a serving Green Lantern and others loyal to the Corps."

He can remove what is potentially a big recruitment place for the GLC.

He hasn't allies with

'allied'

but the second… Not sure.

Always on the lookout for working with murderers and maniacs.

Isn't knowing this your religion?"

Just because someone follows a certain religion that doesn't mean they'll know everything about it.

And that's assuming they even have any information on the Spectrum.

An understatement.

'love, though'

Tora blushed when we told her how we were testing it, but I think she was pleased

Seeing two attractive men holding hands and sharing their feelings...

I bet she was very pleased with that.

and I'm pretty sure that Green Lantern Illustres Chaselon can't be either.

He is enlightened.

certain emotions are build into the universe

'built'

boredom without if affecting

'without it'

Though remember that certain emotions are build into the universe while others aren't; you can feel any amount of joy or pride or boredom without if affecting ring use at all.

Though they are built in other universes.

One of the things I want to teach you to do is to redirect impulses from the other colours to fuel your use of the orange light."

Like that guy who found out his species wasn't dead did and turned his hope into avarice.

No, no, they tested it with Guy's love for her.
Are the other Green Lanterns of Earth aware of Guy using his ring for "recreational uses"? If yes, would they be annoyed that he's use one of the most powerful tools in the universe as a toy, or that they (mostly Jordan) can't do it themselves?

Are the other Green Lanterns of Earth aware of Guy using his ring for "recreational uses"? If yes, would they be annoyed that he's use one of the most powerful tools in the universe as a toy, or that they (mostly Jordan) can't do it themselves?
When I said 'love', I meant 'feelings of romantic attraction'.

Would the pink people be able to use it in the same "creative" way ? I mean it sounds right up that color alley.

27th August 2012
00:57 GMT

Oh flip the heck yes.

Onik looks around in fascination at the printed books. They're not printed on paper; it's actually a type of plastic with the words being made of the same stuff in a different colour. But they're designed to look like leather-bound paper books, just like mine is. Toren has clearly been here before, so rather than stare at the books he's staring at the strands of orange that are radiating out of me to touch all of them.
Aw... Are they at least scented to smell like an old library? Because that is a primal scent for some people. That scent of old paper and aging leather, of the faintest wisps of dust, and of cool, dry air... For some people, that is the smell of knowledge.

Dul is standing at ease, waiting for me to start. Xor is next to her, but that's more because this part of the library isn't designed to be accessible to people of his size.

"Lantern Toren, is feels like the books and passages relating to fear have been accessed considerably more frequently than the rest of late."
Sounds like someone's been boning up on the relationship between fear and will... Something of a 'just in case' preparation, Graf Toren?

"My fellow monks are the most likely to be called to replace me if I die. Sinestro has killed more Green Lanterns than anyone else in centuries."

"I didn't think you'd ever met him."
Doesn't mean it can't happen in future. The renegade Lantern's location is still a mystery in most timelines of Earth-16.

"I have not. But this monastery is the sort of place that he has shown himself inclined to attack. A place with a serving Green Lantern and others loyal to the Corps."
Not to mention the whole 'training ground for future karaxian Green Lanterns' thing. If someone's preparing for a war, as comics-Canon Sinestro was during his absence following the return of Hal Jordan to the role... What better place to make a first strike than a place that produces telented foes?

The Orange Lantern Corps doesn't have an official position on Sinestro. He hasn't allies with the Reach, so he isn't our problem. Dox told me that he hasn't spoken to him since their initial conversation, and there isn't any obvious reason for him to lie to me about it. Personally, I'd like to learn a little more about what he's trying to achieve before making a decision. Silver Age Sinestro was a Dark Kantian sort of guy, while Modern Age Sinestro was acting in the belief that order was the highest good and that it was best maintained through fear. I'd probably just kill the first one, but the second… Not sure.
I can see Silver Age Sinestro's behaviour as someone who's shaken off all the fetters of his own morality after the great shame of being declared a renegade. If no-one can punish you for doing whatever you want... Well...

"So you wanted to read about how other Green Lanterns have confronted and overcome their fears?"

Toren nods. "Since Sinestro's constructs are strengthened by fear, it seemed like the logical thing to do."
As signified by his confrontation with Hal Jordan during the aforementioned Rebirth mini-series. His attacks weren't as powerful against Hal as they could be because he refused to be afraid of Sinestro.

Ah, so many stories! And… Mostly lacking in the sort of detail I'd need, but they're a start!

"Well then. If fear's what you're worried about…"
Dang. Well, it was a long shot anyway. Perhaps when taken in concert, there's something to be learned...

I transition back to Xor and Dul.

"Let's do some sharing!"

Dul looks dubious. "What sort of sharing?"
Yes, the lady's not the sort to be open about her feelings, after all. Likely a learned behaviour in the culture of Thanagar...

"Fear. From what I'm reading, it seems that learning to respond to fear by strengthening their focus helps Green Lanterns punch through their problems. Several trained to confront their fears until the response was instinctive. Feel fear and focus, though…" I turn to Lantern Toren as he walks out of the stacks. "Don't try that against Sinestro. He knows that it's a standard technique and would almost certainly prepare to take advantage of your focus narrowing."
Because the downside of excessive Green light is a tendency towards tunnel vision and stubbornness. Not terrible for space cops, which is why the Guardians chose to use it, after all.

He nods. "I thought that he might. Of course, completely defeating my own fears is far more difficult than learning to work through them."

I frown.
Indeed. They're your fears for a reason. Hooks into your psyche that are buried deep, in many cases. And even if you work to overcome them, you might miss something you've never considered.

"Wouldn't learning Sinestro's fears work better? He needs to command them to even use his ring."

"Sinestro did not become First Lantern by being weak-willed."
True enough. I would not be surprised if he wasn't something close to Will-Enlightened. To be fair, Sinestro is in touch with most lights, if you go by his brief use of a White Ring during the Blackest Night. Heck, in some continuities, he's spent time as Parallax's Host, so he could well be Fear Enlightened too.

"Great! If he just focuses his mind to shut out everything else then his ring will stop working." I look at Onik. "Lantern Onik, would you mind demonstrating?"

He nods floating off the ground for a moment before his environmental shield shuts down and he lands lightly on the floor.
The problem is, Sinestro would be well aware of that weakness. And be training himself not to fall prey to it...

"Thank you. Sinestro spent a long time as a Green Lantern. If some responses from that time are ingrained, tricking him into falling back on them might work."

"I will try and turn that into an actual tactic and bear it in mind."
Let's hope you never have to actually put it to use in combat, at least.

"I still catch Alan out like that sometimes."

"Who is 'Alan'?"
Yes, OL. Not everyone has the encyclopaedic knowledge you do. Though from context, he could probably guess 'Alan' is a fellow Lantern of some colour other than Green.

"Alan Scott? Got hold of Green Lantern Yalan Gur's power ring, used it for decades and then switched to a blue ring. Since that-."

"You mentioned a 'blue' Lantern earlier, but I don't know what those are."
And that would not be something in the general database for public consumption within the Corps, I bet. Guardians, am I right?

We stare at each other for a moment.

"Isn't knowing this your religion?"
To be fair, Lanternism is having to come to grips with quite a few changes in things that everyone took for certain, these days... The existence of colours of Lanterns other than Green, and all that.

"Alright, fine. The spectrum." I take a holographic display out of subspace and show the image. "Red, for rage and hate. Though Weaponer Kalmin uses a single word for it and I've never heard of anyone catalysing it with cold and calm hatred, so my label might be a cultural artefact. The Qwardians experimented with it, but couldn't ever harness it in a controlled way. Then orange for avarice, yellow for fear, green…"
Heh. Who'd have thought all it took was someone so angry that he stumbled into enlightenment to make it work (Inspector, now Prime Minister, Geoff Talbot, over in Renegade's timeline.) I could be wrong on the name...

"Then blue for hope, and as far as I know Alan Scott of Two Eight One Four is the only blue ring user currently active. Lovely man. Then we have indigo for compassion. They're active and recruiting, by the way, though I've only met one. And last of all violet, love. The favourite colour of the Zamarons. Two violet ring users are active on Earth, both running off sororal love though one is highly interested in this 'romantic love' she's heard so much about."
All things the Guardians know about, of course, courtesy of their Lanterns' reports of encounters with OL... Guess they're trying to keep them under their... Well, I would say hats, but those big heads would look silly with any kind of headwear... :V

"I have personally seen power rings of each of these colours. Each of these colours is an emotion you -collectively- have to learn to integrate." I reach out and take hold of Toren's right hand, and after a moment's consideration he doesn't resist me touching his ring. I pointedly make eye contact with Onik as I start to float. "This is not something that I have a problem with. I cannot be weakened by exposure to other emotions. And neither can Guy Gardner-"

Tora blushed when we told her how we were testing it, but I think she was pleased. Whow, I haven't spoken to her since… A… While.
While Mr Zoat's already said that no, it wasn't any kind of romantic moment between Guy and OL, I'm sure she's seen stories online with that kind of thing. Seriously, Fujoshi gonna Fujo. I shudder at the sheer amount of dirty fanfiction floating around cape fansites, straight or not.

"-and I'm pretty sure that Green Lantern Illustres Chaselon can't be either. Though remember that certain emotions are build into the universe while others aren't; you can feel any amount of joy or pride or boredom without if affecting ring use at all. One of the things I want to teach you to do is to redirect impulses from the other colours to fuel your use of the orange light."

Dul considers my monologue.
Chaselon, for those forgetting him. If I remember right, he was Will-Enlightened? But even if he isn't, you don't become the Illustres of a Corps with close to 7200 members without some serious skills.

"Is that what you did to gain 'enlightenment'?"

"No. That was a rather different process."
And not an entirely pleasant one at all. Especially since he was doing it out of desperation... And entirely by accident at first.

"If we're trying to get what you have, shouldn't we do that instead?"

"You can. Step one, learn to turn off your ring without feeling a contradictory emotion. I did this without practice while merged with the Ophidian because I realised that continuing to feel avarice was making it impossible to get what I wanted. Step two, openly and honestly examine all of your desires and accept them all as part of who you are. Some of them will probably horrify you; that doesn't matter. They're still you."
And I suspect most of them will have trouble with that part. How many subconscious thoughts do you have that would horrify you if you realised you were feeling them? :eek: That's the problem: You don't know.

"There is no step three." I smile sarcastically. "Simple, yes?"

Onik frowns, then raises his left hand slightly and stares at his ring.
Of all of them, I figure his priestly training might help him most...

His environmental shield stays on.

"Maybe you don't want it off hard enough."
Something of a Zen koan, isn't it? How to want without wanting?

"I don't think-"

His shield flares.
Something to work on, brother Onik. Meditate on it later, perhaps you'll think of something.

"-that's how it works, Great Master."

"No. It doesn't. So since Lantern Dul was having trouble with rage earlier, let's start with that."
And Rage is a lot easier to focus on and identify. less embarrassing than Love, too.

And so the learning process proper begins. I wonder if any of them will be able to manage the conceptual challenge of wanting something without feeling desire for it... At least other emotions will be easier to work through. And simply working with them will likely give Toren new insights into his own use of Green light. I guess we'll see soon enough.

So since Lantern Dul was having trouble with rage earlier...
Double Space. (Though you may have already caught it...)

Aw... Are they at least scented to smell like an old library? Because that is a primal scent for some people. That scent of old paper and aging leather, of the faintest wisps of dust, and of cool, dry air... For some people, that is the smell of knowledge.

And for others it's a breeding ground for sneezing.

, he's spent time as Parallax's Host, so he could well be Fear Enlightened too.

I once asked Zoat if Sinestro was enlightened and I think he said no.

He's probably just very, very good at using the yellow light.

Huh, no mention of black rings. I know he's still keeping the white rings secret, but wouldn't spreading word of the dangers of the black light generally be a good idea? Or is it a, "the more people who know about it, the more people who might try to harness it?"

Sinestro has gotten an enormous amount of hype for a character who still has yet to appear in the main story. I'm pretty sure we've even had the SI thinking about the Silver Age version being a "dark Kantian" before. I wonder what Sinestro is trying to achieve. He has a power ring and no one to answer to, but he's still attacking green lanterns. What does he think he's doing?

I wonder if he'll finally appear in this arc.

Given Paul has wondered what Sinestro is up to multiple times, it's kind of weird he hasn't just teleported over to him by now to have a friendly chat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back