• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Well...I have absolutely no idea what's going on. Which isn't all that odd considering we've been in Hawk-Territory for the last arc.

Still..."The Boys"...just reading a summery and it sounds like just about everything I hate about "Deconstruction".

Zoat, I say this sincerely: I will read pretty much anything you write. If you decide to have Indigo's threat come true as a chapter for the Eros thread, I'll end up reading it out of morbid fascination.

Please don't turn his threat into an actual chapter for the Eros thread.

Seriously, I don't think anyone would have ever thought to use the threat of necrophilia as an act of compassion. Will Saul be able to create his own team of superheroes who are actually heroic?

Well, if compassion is just trying to help someone, then you should be able to justify literally anything as being an act of compassion.

Well, if compassion is just trying to help someone, then you should be able to justify literally anything as being an act of compassion.

Well, IMO it kind of has to do with the un-taking fact of it. Avarice has to do with a personal connection, but Compassion is just knowing that 'this is something that will help, regardless of how it effects me', so a lot of stuff falls under Compassion because you believe that it will help. The idea of 'The Greater Good', when applied in its complete form including a lack of caring of your own life, is the basis of Compassion, and we all know how that idea is achieved by dark means quite often, proving that Compassion isn't always good.

Made perfect sense to me.

She thought she was beyond caring that nothing mattered anymore.

Then she realised there was a negative consequence she didn't want to happen, that there is something she didn't want to happen to herself.

It's like all those people who attemtped suicide who realised on the way down or as they swallowed the pills that they ddn't want to die after all.

Zoat, I say this sincerely: I will read pretty much anything you write. If you decide to have Indigo's threat come true as a chapter for the Eros thread, I'll end up reading it out of morbid fascination.

Please don't turn his threat into an actual chapter for the Eros thread.
No Zoat, don't listen to this madman! Please make it a chapter for the Eros thread!

Well something people tend to forget is that DC, while calling them compassion, really empathy seems like the more appropriate description.

Stewart used an indigo ring to channel the void of emotion that is the black to make Mogo go the way of Krypton with a sniper rifle. So yeah, Stewart brought his planet killing score to 2.

They're all nice and patient and parental, but if need be they can also empathize with the zombie apocalypse out to snuff out the very concept of life.

And he's decided to drop Ms Bradley in it
Missing Full Stop.

"Why do you keep watching this?"
It's like a trainwreck. You just can't look away, in morbid fascination.

Because 'compassion' doesn't just mean 'being nice to nice people', it doesn't just mean 'for the deserving'. It has to, has to, mean everyone.
Even the people who claim they don't want it...

She.. literally tore her hair out of her scalp.
Ow...

"-to executives, but leave it to James to cover all the bases."
Seriously, lady, you think Butcher would go that far... No, wait, he would.

"Would you like me to clean you up? You appear to be in a somewhat distressed state."
'Distressed' is such a mild understatement...

That is a hell of a lot of Red...

"And if you're really set on killing yourself, I won't stop you."

There's a slight.. flinch, but yes, she's decided. Extreme risk-taking at least. There's no gun… What's the best way to-? The Derren Brown approach? Hm, might work. But what angle-?
Yes, it's extreme, what he says, but look at the Black in her here...

"Oh, don't worry, I'll clean it up before anyone sees it. In fact, I can fix up everything. You'll leave a beautiful corpse." I pause for effect. "For me to have sex with."
It's not what he's saying, really, its the matter-of-fact tone he's using...:D

"No, of course not. You can't rape a corpse." I pause again. "In this state. It's a completely different criminal offence."
'Interfering with a cadaver' or the like, usually.

She stares at me in horror.
At least the Black's gone.

She manages to blink. "Whhhhhhhhrrr-?"
Bradley.exe has stopped working, please reboot.

...If Mr Stillwell has fucked you anyway, there's really no reason not to fuck him right back."
Yup!

Being compassionate doesn't mean that I believe that reasonable and proportionate chastisement is unjust.
Remember, Good does not necessarily mean Nice.

Really, I never read the ending of The Boys, but honestly, I doubt anything good would have come from it...

Well...I have absolutely no idea what's going on. Which isn't all that odd considering we've been in Hawk-Territory for the last arc.

Still..."The Boys"...just reading a summery and it sounds like just about everything I hate about "Deconstruction".
Remember Fool's Canon, and all the alternate Pauls with different Rings? This was one such.

Last edited:
I know Mr Zoat was talking about Indigo Paul/Saul fucking corpses in earlier posts, so I assume this is what he's referring to? It doesn't seem like that's actual standard activity he engages in.
Is the fact that it's Part 21 meant to mark it as a continuation of all the alternate-Paul segments from Fool's Canon? That seems the most likely.

I also just finished watching the David Mitchell and wanted to thank you for the link, it made pretty good points and was, as usual for him, hilarious.

Last edited:
It's at the end after the "superheroes" attempted to take over America by attacking the White House and got their asses collectively kicked by the US military. Homelander or John lead the whole thing/tricked everyone into it and has just been killed despite Paul's apparent attempt to save him. Everyone now knows that superheroes are the worst, fakes and Mr Stiller who didn't prevent this from happening has just thrown Ms Bradley under the bus as the one to blame for it all after stringing her along throughout the investigation.
While true, that does leave out a few important things.

In the setting, superpowers come from a substance called Compound V. Homelander (first name John, second name never revealed) was created with gallons of the stuff at great expense, and grew up in a bunker with a nuclear bomb never too far away after he fried the delivery room after he was born. Once Voight-American were reasonably confident that he would take orders, he was set up as a 'superhero' but just in case he ever decided to go crazy they created a clone and... It's never explained how, but they mentally conditioned the clone to want to take him down if he stepped out of line.

A while later, the clone decides to create the situation where it gets those orders, dresses in a Homelander uniform, murders and eats a family, takes pictures and posts them to Voight-American. At this point Homelander hasn't actually done anything worse than a lot of real celebrities do: drug-taking and sex with prostitutes, but now everyone who knows about it believes that he's a crazy cannibal. Including him: he comes to believe that he did it and just blanked the whole thing. That belief results in him increasingly acting out, and eventually convinces a large number of Voight-American's other superheroes to assist in some 'regime change'. He does this by convincing them that it's part of Voight-American's plan to remove the president and install the vice president so they could sell superhumans to the military. They had been planning to assassinate the president, but by sheer luck he gets killed by a wolverine so they end up not needing to.

Oh, and I just found out that the The Boys live action series has decided that The Boys aren't getting Compound V. Which is stupid.
Thank you, corrected.

Last edited:
OK so now I want to have another entire story about this guy, God and monsters Grayven and avatar the last air bender paul. Goddamit

Well, judging by the 'Let's read' of it that someone (Polokun? Not sure) did, that I eventually quit reading because even his summary was too disturbing to keep reading, it's a combination of most or all of what I hate about 'deconstructions,' especially the ones that get billed as 'realistic' when they're really just grimderp and tacky.

Well, judging by the 'Let's read' of it that someone (Polokun? Not sure) did, that I eventually quit reading because even his summary was too disturbing to keep reading, it's a combination of most or all of what I hate about 'deconstructions,' especially the ones that get billed as 'realistic' when they're really just grimderp and tacky.
It's a problem, isn't it? You can't really judge a work until you're experienced it in its entirety, but you don't want to spend the time to do that if you suspect that you will hate it. I liked it, but I can see how it isn't to everyone's tastes.

Wait a minute... You've had this chapter for a long time, I remember you mentioning the necrophilia way back when, months ago. I can only say good luck with whatever's getting you to publish chapters you wrote a while ago, unless you just had ideas, but not an actual write-up.

I liked the previous Common Sense chapter, was wondering if there was any way to find the previous one, without having to chance getting lost in the re-read that will take all month? Thank you.

I liked the previous Common Sense chapter, was wondering if there was any way to find the previous one, without having to chance getting lost in the re-read that will take all month? Thank you.
Read the comments after - someone linked it.

Well, judging by the 'Let's read' of it that someone (Polokun? Not sure) did,
For anyone curious, Polokun Reads The Boys. He never did finish that...

It was linked right after the chapter:
I had completely forgotten about this instance of Paul. If anyone is curious, here is a link to the first chapter with him.

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.c...-thread-thirteen.49418/page-459#post-11906284
Oh, and I just found out that the The Boys live action series has decided that The Boys aren't getting Compound V. Which is stupid.
AND Simon Pegg isn't playing Wee Hughie!

But honestly my first thought is not dosing the boys is just to get around having to deal with Mother's Milk and the Female's quirks. Though they could just... Change them? I don't know; I don't have high hopes for anything besides drama when people watch because they liked the Netflix and CW superhero shows...

Last edited:
So . . . Other than helping out Super Duper and healing sick kids, did Saul actually do anything to make the events of The Boys play out better than they did in canon? Or was he just never in a position to really do anything?

Obviously the big finale still happened. Mostly curious about the in-between.

But honestly my first thought is not dosing the boys is just to get around having to deal with Mother's Milk and the Female's quirks. Though they could just... Change them? I don't know; I don't have high hopes for anything besides drama when people watch because they liked the Netflix and CW superhero shows...
Article here.
The relevant bit said:
"That's probably one of the differences between the comics and the series," he said. "Eric Kripke -- our creator, our showrunner and sort of head writer -- really wanted to present a story about humans with non-super abilities taking on the elite 1% of the 1%.
Comic Butcher was very clear about what happens to normal people who fight superheroes: they die.
So . . . Other than helping out Super Duper and healing sick kids, did Saul actually do anything to make the events of The Boys play out better than they did in canon? Or was he just never in a position to really do anything?

Obviously the big finale still happened. Mostly curious about the in-between.
Appreciably fewer off-screen deaths.
Edit: Also inspired a few minor characters not to back Homelander. Young Americans are nearly a functional team.

Last edited:
Exactly how differently does the public treat Saul? He said that he's in a class of his own because of healing so many sick kids, but do people actually like him, or just think that he's better than the other heroes? Also, he was there in the White House. Did Saul actually try and fight Homelander and the other heroes? Did he ever meet up with The Boys? Is he friends with Wee Hughie and Starlight. or have they never interacted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back