• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

"Speaking as a member of the Trenchcoat Brigade, we don't always know what's best for us. I've had a look, and I can't find hide nor hair of him. Something about this isn't right. I don't know if he needs help or needs to be stopped from doing something-."

"Alright, I'll-. Add it-."
How many times has someone told Paul that he needs to look into John Constantine? I feel like when whatever he's caught up in affects the whole world, someone will tell Paul I told you so. Also, since they've now been mentioned in the story, is there any chance of Paul working with the Trenchcoat Brigade?

"Yes, that's what it's like for the more subtle forms of mind control. Come here."

She doesn't move.

"Seriously, come here."

Hesitantly, she moves slightly away from the wall, so I step forward and wrap my arms around her.

"See? You're safe and I'm safe. You can hear my breathing, my heart rate. Do I sound worried?"

"N-. No."

"Do I look worried? Smell worried?"

"No."

"Then don't worry that this is going to affect our relationship. Mind control happens and can be very dangerous when someone as strong as you gets affected, but it's not your fault. Okay?"

"M'kay."
This is great! Paul helps out his friend and possibly makes her conflicted emotions about him even worse. She really needs to become friends with Zatanna now. Also, since helping his friends is his whole thing, what's Paul going to do about her desire to leave Earth? Find ways to have her like Earth more, or do something for her that makes it feel a little more like Krypton?

Everything I said, everything I did, that all grew out of something I-. I already-."
It reads much more like "she should just do the things she wants to do" ignoring guilt - much like Evaul the serial brainwasher.
Called it.

Uhhhhh.... there at the end, is that just the Font, or is that WHITE emotion?
Just the font:
Code:
[QUOTE="Mr Zoat, post: 4975196, member: 12669"]"[B]M'kay[/B]."[/QUOTE]

If you're talking about depression, then it should be black, not white.

Also it doesn't look like the usual black colored speech, so I guess it's the font.
It's written in a small font here because Kara is speaking in a hushed small voice. It's a visual clue to inform the readers about the level at which she is speaking, which here is probably close to a whimper or whisper.

Obviously Paul is just comforting Kara after experiencing something very terrible, but they should talk about her feelings and such later when more stable.

"Any idea what happened to her?"

He shrugs. "Some. She wasn't possessed. She just comes from somewhere where there's so much demonic magic everywhere that it metastasized. Must be literal hell on Earth."

"Earth?"

He frowns for a moment, then nods.

"Never been to Krypton, but I know what Earth demons feel like. And that's what it feels like."

"'Feels'? She's still..?"

"What, you thought Noriel was capable of subtlety? It's sunk in. No part of her body or soul isn't marinated in it. Noriel just burned off the worst of it."

"Anything left that isn't made of demonic magic?"

"Pff, maybe." He shrugs. "I'll do what I can, but I can't see any kind of quick fix here. And that's before we even get to the psychological damage. If she started off a nice girl like the other Kara's and then got exposed to an Earth consumed by Hell, I hate to think about the things she's seen. And…"
This brings up a question: what comic did the demon supergirl image come from anyway? and is it related to the messed up situation she's supposed to have come from?

Last edited:
Question Zoat. The consistency of your output has always impressed me, but if you were being paid your current wage specifically to write this thing, how much more would you manage to write per day.

what's Paul going to do about her desire to leave Earth? Find ways to have her like Earth more, or do something for her that makes it feel a little more like Krypton?

There is always Tamaran.

It's an advanced civilization with a species that looks human but is still different enough that they can't be mistaken for human, so Kara may not be uncomfortable like she is with humans due to them looking like Kryptonians, and the Tamaraneans wouldn't look too alien for her to feel too out of place.

Tamaraneans are also open with their emotions and fairly empathic, so they may be able to sense when she's distressed and comfort her.

Plus, Paul is considered a great hero there and if they know that she's his friend then they're likely to treat her practically like a queen.

As for seeing Clark and any other friends she made on Earth?

For that I guess Paul can make an interstellar Zeta Tube, or some other manner of transportation, if she ever wishes to go back.

How many times has someone told Paul that he needs to look into John Constantine? I feel like when whatever he's caught up in affects the whole world, someone will tell Paul I told you so. Also, since they've now been mentioned in the story, is there any chance of Paul working with the Trenchcoat Brigade?
At this point, I suspect that Paul was fed some sort of magical compulsion to ignore the problem through his tattoos.

At this point, I suspect that Paul was fed some sort of magical compulsion to ignore the problem through his tattoos.

This isn't such a wild theory.

Given that Constantine made those tattoos it wouldn't be too difficult to imagine him adding a compulsion aspect in them.

Hell, there might be a destruction aspect there that will blow up Paul if John thinks he's a threat.

This isn't such a wild theory.

Given that Constantine made those tattoos it wouldn't be too difficult to imagine him adding a compulsion aspect in them.

Hell, there might be a destruction aspect there that will blow up Paul if John thinks he's a threat.
It doesn't even need to be the tattoos. Using mixed order and chaos magic, John could freeze time, at the very least. Mix in some synchronicity magic, and he could put on a semi permanent effect that subtlety deflected attempts to find him. Like, when people start talking about him, stuff comes up. Like Paul needing to run off to talk to Kara.

While an amusing thought, I suspect this is just more of the same problem as normal with Paragon.

He just doesn't care about Constantine, and because he doesn't care about him, he has no drive to actually investigate what happened to him.

14th September 2012
20:02GMT -5

The Kara formerly known as Demon Supergirl sits in the corner of her room, legs pulled up to her chest with her arms wrapped around them. Her torso is… Bobbing back and forth slightly, eyes staring vacantly ahead and her lips…
...Yeah, that's... She sounds broken. I'm guessing what she went through was not pleasant at all for her. Hopefully, if she ever reaches a level where she can communicate, she'll thank OL for helping her...

"Any idea what she's saying?"

Ambrose nods. "Mark. Mark. The mark, his mark. Things like that."
Ah, one of the many blond hedge-magicians in trenchcoats running around in DC... At least she's able to be understood. Can you imagine how much worse it would be if she locked herself into a super-speed fugue?

The light inside the room is red. I don't want to constantly expose her to gold kryptonite but obviously we can't risk her regaining her strengths.

"Any idea what happened to her?"
Ah, yes, that would help. Though I get the feeling the colour of the lighting isn't really helping matters...

He shrugs. "Some. She wasn't possessed. She just comes from somewhere where there's so much demonic magic everywhere that it metastasized. Must be literal hell on Earth."

"Earth?"
From what I understand... Yes, yes it was. And how bad does it suck that that reality apparently actually exists somewhere in the multiverse...

He frowns for a moment, then nods.

"Never been to Krypton, but I know what Earth demons feel like. And that's what it feels like."
I suspect you'd recognise a Kryptonian demon. They tend to be... Extreme.

"'Feels'? She's still..?"

"What, you thought Noriel was capable of subtlety? It's sunk in. No part of her body or soul isn't marinated in it. Noriel just burned off the worst of it."
So trying to fix her would take a power beyond even an angel. Guess who OL's not on good terms with who could manage that, hmm?

"Anything left that isn't made of demonic magic?"

"Pff, maybe." He shrugs. "I'll do what I can, but I can't see any kind of quick fix here. And that's before we even get to the psychological damage. If she started off a nice girl like the other Kara's and then got exposed to an Earth consumed by Hell, I hate to think about the things she's seen. And…"
Like you said: Hell on Earth.

He glances into the cell.

"Probably done."
It'd be even worse if she was conscious of what she was doing, yet couldn't stop herself.

"How could something like that happen?"

"Big enough sacrifice, big enough violation of something sacred…" He signs wearily. "I couldn't tell you exactly because it's never been done before. Imagine if what Ishmael Gregor was trying to do kept expanding and expanding, more people getting… Caught up in it."
In this case, by corrupting Kal-El's soul. Apparently it's so pure he'd jump straight to Lord of Hell... And drag the world down with him.

"Could that actually happen? I assumed that it would eventually burn itself out."

"Eventually. Yeah. Eventually whoever set it all up would destroy the world that fed them. But the embers could keep smouldering away for a very long time."
When everybody's dead or killing each other... There's no-one left to make more people. At least the current Lords of Hell recognise that's bad for business.

I nod. "Something else to watch out for, then. Thank you, Ambrose. Please let me know if there's any change."

He nods. "Will do. Listen…" He shifts awkwardly. "Have you had a chance to look up Constantine yet?"
Maybe this time, the suggestion will stick.

"He specifically told me that he didn't want me to."

"Speaking as a member of the Trenchcoat Brigade, we don't always know what's best for us. I've had a look, and I can't find hide nor hair of him. Something about this isn't right. I don't know if he needs help or needs to be stopped from doing something-."
Dude, It's John bloody Constantine. The answer is always 'Yes'. Doesn't matter what the concern is, it's 'Yes'.

"Alright, I'll-. Add it-."

Old Kara rounds the corner, sees me and then backs away.
No, OL, you need to get on it now. Otherwise something will distract you... :confused:... :eek: Oh, we're all idiots! Constantine didn't want OL looking for him, right? Or anyone else on his case?
What's the bet he cast a general spell on the entire planet (he has that much power to burn now) that makes people he doesn't want looking for him to forget they wanted to find him? Like, making it a lower priority in their mind.
:sneaky: Oh, people might consider that looking for him might be a good idea, but... They always find that there's always something more important to take care of first... It would barely nudge the Spell Eater because it's not targetted.
(And partially ninja'd by others...)

"-to the slate. Kara!"

I jog after her. If she really can't face me then she's more than fast enough to get away, but with any luck she won't.
There is no way she couldn't have known he was there... Unless she's so distracted by her own thoughts...

"Kara?"

I turn the corner to see her leaning against the wall, arms wrapped defensively around her chest and eyes downcast.
Tread very carefully, OL. That's body language for 'I really don't want to talk, but...'

"Feeling better?"

"Um. Not… Feeling evil, if… That's what you mean."
Well, good to know the Black Kryptonite wore off. That's one concern less.

"Aside from being mildly frustrated that after telling New Kara off for opening something without-."

"Um. No, that-." She glances up for a moment. "Dana opened the-. The crate of kryptonite."
And that answers how she got zapped in the first place. You'd think she'd have enough sense to wear a radiation shield just in case. Perhaps now she'll actually do so...

I could probably catch her.
Believe me, OL, whatever you want to say to her, probably can't match the level of ire her teammates are levelling against her now...

"Then I can't even blame you for that. Look, mind control happens. If you're worried-."

"It didn't feel like I was being controlled. I just-. I wanted you. I'm-. I'm so sorry, I-."
Yep. It removed moral limits and the like. It didn't put anything there that wasn't already, it merely removed the self-made blocks she'd have about trying to act on her desires.

"Don't… Worry about it. My main concern at the time was how you'd react when you snapped out of it. And maybe a bit what it said about the desires you're suppressing."

"I'm not planning on-. I mean, you're with Jade, and I-. I wouldn't-. Like that."
Honestly, an Indigo Ring without the forced compulsion element would probably be a good match for this Paul...

"No, I don't think you'd threaten mass murder in order to get a man while in your right mind." I extend my arms towards her. "Hug?"

She just… Stares at me for a moment.
Probably wondering what the catch is. Remember, like everyone else, she thinks OL's a teenager. Maybe 20 at most.

"Kara, I've told you what I did the first time I bonded with the Ophidian. You know what the Justice League did when Klarion was controlling them, and you know what Zatanna was like when the Star Sapphire started unnaturally influencing her. This is the same sort of thing. Unless you voluntarily exposed yourself to it, it's not your fault. If the shock has… Made you re-evaluate your life in some way, that's fine. The-."

Ah…
I'm sure it did. She probably has a much better awareness of those feelings people push deep down inside and try not to think about ever...

"Evil persona wasn't particularly restrained, but… Heh. I'm the last person who's going to tell you not to follow your desires. The fact that the evil persona also wanted them shouldn't factor in your decisions. I appreciate that the… Switching between the two mental states is a shock, but try not to let it get you down too much, alright?"

"It was… I didn't become someone else. Everything I said, everything I did, that all grew out of something I-. I already-."
Yes, but are they things you would act on normally? No? Be glad you got a look at yourself like that, and focus on being a good person.

She's tearing up.

"Yes, that's what it's like for the more subtle forms of mind control. Come here."
OL, that's not really helping. You're half the problem, I think...

She doesn't move.

"Seriously, come here."
Well, looks like she's not interested, OL...

Hesitantly, she moves slightly away from the wall, so I step forward and wrap my arms around her.

"See? You're safe and I'm safe. You can hear my breathing, my heart rate. Do I sound worried?"
...Okay, guess I was wrong. Still, Even if she needed something like this, you might not be the best person for it.

"N-. No."

"Do I look worried? Smell worried?"
Presumably he's turned his environmental field down enough for her to pick that up... Or she's so close she's basically inside it.

"No."

"Then don't worry that this is going to affect our relationship. Mind control happens and can be very dangerous when someone as strong as you gets affected, but it's not your fault. Okay?"

"M'kay."
'Friendship', OL. :rolleyes: A word like 'relationship' is just going to make it weirder for her... Some tiny little part in there is probably squeeing that you said that. I imagine it looks like the DC Super Hero Girls Supergirl...

Probably not the best way that could have turned out, but at least he's pushing her to accept her feelings. And another reminder to go look for Constantine. I wonder how likely it is he'll remember this time. After all, when The Laughing Magician doesn't want to be found... (Or someone else doesn't want him found...) It's very difficult to do so. Especially with the raw power of a Lordship of Order Chaos at his call.

Last edited:
From what I understand... Yes, yes it was. And how bad does it suck that that reality apparently actually exists somewhere in the multiverse...

Sounds like a nice contender for a Dark Multiverse universe.

So trying to fix her would take a power beyond even an angel. Guess who OL's not on good terms with who could manage that, hmm?

Loriel may not have been able to do it, but other Angels may be able to do it, especially those involved in more scholarly pursuits, unlike Loriel's more militaristic pursuits

In this case, by corrupting Kal-El's soul. Apparently it's so pure he'd jump straight to Lord of Hell... And drag the world down with him.

The bigger they are the harder they fall.

When everybody's dead or killing each other... There's no-one left to make more people. At least the current Lords of Hell recognise that's bad for business.

At least Satanus, and now Mammon, recognise this.

Kinda like Ares and his refusal to use nuclear or biological weapons for fear of everyone dying and him losing his food source.

And that answers how she got zapped in the first place. You'd think she'd have enough sense to wear a radiation shield just in case. Perhaps now she'll actually do so...

I think it was mentioned that she wore one, but it did not stop radiation if it touched her.

As for why she touched it, I'm guessing maybe because she didn't know it would affect her if she touched it, which is unlikely, or there was a compulsion there in case anyone came looking.

Probably wondering what the catch is. Remember, like everyone else, she thinks OL's a teenager. Maybe 20 at most.

He's really going to have to tell everyone at some point.

Especially with the raw power of a Lordship of Order at his call.

I think you mean Chaos.

So this is the same day as last update. Is the physically-restored "zombie supergirl" from the last fight now being called Demon Supergirl? Or did yet another supergirl actually show up?

Thank you, corrected.
Uhhhhh.... there at the end, is that just the Font, or is that WHITE emotion?
No, just bold.
This brings up a question: what comic did the demon supergirl image come from anyway? and is it related to the messed up situation she's supposed to have come from?
Superman 666. Yes. In that setting teh demon's scheme to corrupt Superman actually worked.
Question Zoat. The consistency of your output has always impressed me, but if you were being paid your current wage specifically to write this thing, how much more would you manage to write per day.
Oh gosh no. I'd slow down and actually plan things properly. Output would be about the same but the quality would go up.
Remember to edit this later said:
So this is the same day as last update. Is the physically-restored "zombie supergirl" from the last fight now being called Demon Supergirl? Or did yet another supergirl actually show up?
Yes, they're the same.

which universe is demon supergirl from?

Like has been mention in thread at various places, she comes from Superman #666.

Basically, the plot such as it is, a small demon called Rakkar from Krypton managed to cling onto Clark's pod as it escape the destruction of both the planet and its Hell.

The lords of hell(nebulous as they were in this story) gave Rakkar extra power because as a Kryptonian Demon, he had a better chance of corrupting Superman than anyone else. He placed Superman in a corrupting dream thingy where he'd let out all of his normally pent up negative feeling or some shit like that. Anyway, Superman killed his enemies in the dream and a whole bunch of other people and eventually made his way into Hell.

Rakkar showed up and spilled the beans and then turned Superman into the Beast of the Apocalypse. Except not, because the League cottoned on basically immediately due to Rakkar being as subtle as a trainwreck. So they created a false outer soul for him to corrupt while Superman himself was just fine and uncorrupted in Hell.

Then Superman threatened to smash Hell to bits and pieces, the Lords showed up and said he could do that, but they'd make him regret it. Then they squished Rakkar as a peace offering and Superman woke up.

Demon Supergirl showed up in like, two panels along with Demon Batman, Wonder Woman, and Hal Jordan as like, an image spot?

Best part of that whole story was Clark's attitude during the dream bullshit. "Yeah, I know this is a dream. I also know this is supposed to be me falling to my darker impulses or some shit, so let's skip the melodrama and get to it."

Anyway, this is from a world where the League didn't see Rakkar coming from multiple lightyears away.

Guys context matters. We found this Kara in a specific lair.

I don't think thats obscure dc lore Kara I think that's Kara from the orange tide timeline that was mentioned when tugs was first introduced.

I think at some point the whole deal with mamamon and Constantine, might end up creating a future where OL is the lord of hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back