• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

...I don't see either Grayven being this... Wasteful

You're giving him too much credit.

Despite seemingly being better than the rest of Apokalips, he was still a lot like them.

So, Apokalips laid a hellacious smackdown on this planet... Wonder what they did to earn that?

Maybe they just felt like blowing the place up.

.Or they were trying to hide something? Turning a planet into a deathworld would make most species take one look at it and move on.

Good point.

It's not the League's shit-list, is it

Doubt it, but they may be watching her.

I'm guessing she's more or less quit the Team by now.

Maybe she's still in it but works a lot more with renegade now.

That's deliberate.
Or maybe birdkeepers just never gave a fuck?
They be like "Yeah I'm breeding blue-chested tits, what are you gonna do about it, bitch?"
Write pony fanfiction.
Sorry, what are they looking for? Just going over old Apokalyptian outposts for funsies?
When your enemy has a list of 'sites of interest', it's advisable to investigate them with alacrity.
Thank you, corrected.

Hmm... Telling her to drop it via Godspeech, making it an order from mentor to student? Bit rude.
I don't think that was Grayven speaking. He said it would be weird for him to just .. blank .. on something like this. The fact that they're here means they've followed Grayven 16's trail, but he still doesn't remember a damn thing about this radioactive dirtball.

I think that bit of Godspeech is foreshadowing why he doesn't remember.

Why is the 'hydrogen' of 'potential hydrogen' capitalised?
Because that's the elemental symbol of hydrogen.

Edit: In relation to the earlier discussion about Xianxia, I think a power ring would make a pretty good starting chest for a protagonist, although it does depend on how useless it would be against magic. Xianxia tends to go with integrated magic rather than just slapping it onto a normal world, which is problematic for a power ring, as others have said. For example, I remember in Reverend Insanity, something as simple as mountains can only exist because they're linked to the Earth veins by mountain roots.

When we get back to Paul, I hope we can see him catch up with both Euanthe and Pamela Isley. The former thinks very highly of Paul, but I'm not sure of how the latter feels about him. Mr Zoat, what is Pamela Isley's opinion on Paul?

When we get back to Paul, I hope we can see him catch up with both Euanthe and Pamela Isley. The former thinks very highly of Paul, but I'm not sure of how the latter feels about him. Mr Zoat, what is Pamela Isley's opinion on Paul?

I'm guessing she likes him for helping restore nature, but she may hold a grudge for the Injustice League thing.

I'm guessing she likes him for helping restore nature, but she may hold a grudge for the Injustice League thing.
Oh gosh no. As she is now she's very much aware of how much of a psychological mess she was at the time, and any lingering ill-will she might feel has been redirected towards Jason Woodrue.

Geoffrey steps out of the upright scanning module, picking up his shirt from the nearby bench. He may be in his late fifties, but he's definitely made an effort to get back into the sort of physical shape that would allow him to meet the Metropolitan Police Force's requirements. And I know his ring doesn't help with that.
Mr Zoat Do red rings not have the ability to alter the appearance of the user like orange rings can?

It's a fundamental part of life when it's balanced by other emotions.

But on it's own it's very much a metaphysical toxin, especially among eastern systems of metaphysics.
Like I said -- dirt! It's a fundamental part of the cycle of life, being the source of nutrients for plant life and an eventual end state after living things die, but on its own it's... well, dirty. I think the analogy is sound.

I shove downwards with my daiklave , but I don't quite punch through.
Extra space.

I guess that between Magic Horse Land and Bondage Elf Land, a mere hole in the ground containing the secrets of the gods doesn't really-.
Should I assume that 'Bondage Elf Land' is Earth in the Sheedas' time (it would fit what I recall of them), or did Graven and Artemis meet the Dark Eldar and I forgot?

Regnancy (supplementary, Renegade Option)
28th October 2012
20:07 GMT

"…risk a boom tube?"

I nod to myself as Artemis speaks through my ring. Neither radio waves nor New God type communicators get through, but power rings work just fine.

"No, with the Absolute Dominion in orbit I can use a hush tube. You sure it didn't react to your magic?"

"Not that I can see or feel."

Right. Mother Box.

Ping.

A hole in the universe opens just below me, and I drop down into… Darkness, illuminated only by Sinestro's glow. "How's he treating you?"

She grimaces, pulls it off her right middle finger and tosses it to me. I pull it onto my right ring finger.

"That bad?"

"Apparently I'm 'barely adequate, despite my upbringing'."

"Would you rather be an excellent fit for a dictator who believed that order could only be maintained through fear?" I peer around, the darkness-. Wait.

Ping.

"Can you see better than me?"

"Only if I make an effort. Does that mean there's someone here?"

"Not necessarily. And since we're not being inundated by parademons or aero-troopers, I tend to doubt it. Not sure how the system is powerful enough to mess with us like this." I frown, then shake my head. "Which is odd, because a system that can do that would be valuable and worth defending, particularly if it wasn't stripped for parts. But it isn't being defended."

Artemis readies an arrow. "Don't speak too soon." Death Awaits.

"Obvious question, through. There's no outward sign that anything's here-."

"Where did other-you hear about it. If you still don't think he built it himself."

"A sufficiently traumatic head injury might just erase the memory, but that doesn't… Sound right." I walk over to the closest wall and place my left palm against it. Bow To My Will!

The stygian blackness pulls back a little, but scans still aren't telling me much. Mother Box?

Ping.

Great. Looks like we're in a store room of some sort. The few remaining crates are neatly stacked in the corner, no obvious detritus left around the place. No particular feeling from anything.

Oh.

"One possibility does come to mind, given the state of the outside."

"Anti-Life research. Do we need to leave?"

"No. Incidental tertiary exposure shouldn't do much to us, though if we confirm it we'll need to leave and destroy the place from orbit."

My frown deepens as I shake my head, lifting my hand off the wall and armouring myself. No lock on the door, just a requirement for a minimal level of spiritual power. Easy enough to manage

"So if it's not that..?"

The door opens, the darkness retreating once more to… Reveal a laboratory? A small one. The machinery is a garish combination of purple, yellow and green and… I can't immediately call to mind a New God with that colour scheme. Evil colours, though, so that fits. A red and orange helmet that I'd be insane to try on sits on a small plinth, while a larger circular platform stands empty on one side. Teleporter? Fabricator? Viewing platform? Miniature safe room?

Naturally, there's no control panel.

Ping.

Artemis comes in behind me, eyes darting around. "Is it doing that now?"

Ping.

I find myself shaking my head again. "I don't know about that. I mean, yes, that technique could work, but why would anyone put a machine designed to resurrect New Gods away from Apokolips?"

Artemis glances at me. "You said we couldn't be resurrected."

"I definitely can't, you probably can't, because our souls will merge with the Source upon our deaths. That doesn't mean that we can't be cloned, just that… We wouldn't get much out of it." I move a little closer to the platform, trying to draw upon Other Grayven's earliest memories. "Darkseid had a team… Working on the problem. They never really solved it. They got to the point where the duplicates weren't totally mindless and could be taught, but they lacked the spiritual force of the originals." I smile. "That's one of the reasons how I know that I'm me and not a duplicate, despite merging with Other Grayven."

"So they were making copies here?"

"Something like that. You couldn't make duplicates to use as infiltrators because they wouldn't have the knowledge or spiritual presence. You couldn't use the system to make powerful New Gods immortal for the same reason. Baron Bedlam's multiple plastic bodies were as far as the research got, as far as I know."

I walk over to… Because of course there's no control panel. I walk over to a group of levers and haphazardly placed unmarked buttons, hoping that Mother Box will be able to do something with it.

Ping.

Well, keep trying.

"How does he work?"

"As I understand it, his consciousness isn't attached to any one body. He'd still die if all of his bodies were destroyed, but losing the odd one or two isn't more than an inconvenience."

"Any idea why Other Grayven wanted it? Or why it was abandoned?"

"No. None." I take a closer look at the machine to see if anything springs to mind. "As far as I recall, he didn't know what was here. Only that it was something New God."

"You don't think he got made here?"

"No, the memories I got from him distinctly include his childhood."

"But that wouldn't mean he wasn't, right? They could have copied a child and then just let him grow up normally."

"True, but there's no obvious benefit. I mean, he could have been an experiment to see what would happen, and… Darkseid wouldn't just throw him away if that's what happened because he might learn something out of it. But we're Darkseid's sons. Every memory I have of Apokolips includes us being referred to like that, and if…"

No.

Mother Box, Sinestro, scan for my genetic material.

Lantern Grayven, you already know.

"Oh."

"What?"

"I have no memory of being here before, but there's genetic material from-." Why were there crates in the store room when everything else-? "From me here."

A construct claw grabs a crate and yanks it over to us before cutting it open.

A dozen foetuses with copies of my own face blankly stare up at me from their preservative jars.

Last edited:

"Not necessarily"

Something being dumb and insane to do hasn't stopped you before.

"Any idea why Other Grayven wanted it? Or why it was abandoned

Maybe he wanted to clone himself in case he died or maybe so he could make an heir.

Or he could have wanted a situation like Bedlam has in case his body is destroyed.

"But that wouldn't mean he wasn't, right? They could have copied a child and then just let him grow up normally."

"True, but there's no obvious benefit

Unless letting the beings spiritual power grow in a relatively natural way could be done by allowing the clone to grow up naturally.

But we're Darkseid's sons.

No, you're not.

Actually Grayven is the son of Darkseid, you're the son of a British chemistry professor.

"I have no memory of being here before, but there's genetic material from-." Why were there crates in the store room when everything else-? "From me here

Your human DNA or Actually Grayven's DNA?

A dozen foetuses with copies of my own face blankly stare up at me from their preservative jars

Hmm, it's uncanny reading about this and watching the newest Owl House episode on the same day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back