• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

The phonetic accents are fine when they're regular characters who frequently say things influenced by their accents, but the ones who 'sound different' this rarely get pretty annoying.

But if Zoat cared about that, he probably wouldn't say 'whaw' and 'whow' either, and so here we are.

(The only sound Doctor Mist makes differently is the short 'a', and not even every time. It's pretty much just 'am' and 'can't' IIRC.)

7th November 2012
11:35 GMT

Dr. Balewa nods. "Yes, it can be done. It can even be done legally, though I am not-" He frowns. "-sure that the laws concerning magic are well thought through."

"It's the nice thing about having a Security Council majority that doesn't give a fig about privacy or know anything about magic."
Given the events of the last couple of years, be glad they haven't outlawed magic. Mostly thanks to OL's wise words a while back to the senator pushing for it. People do tend to overreact when they're angry, after all...

"I am not comfortable with this."

"Then… You should probably have spent more of your life teaching, I guess." He looks at me in an interrogative manner. "You're old enough and powerful enough to have had plenty of opportunities to fix things about human civilisation that you don't like."
Pity he couldn't be arsed, then. I mean, given his lifespan, he's seen far too much of the bad side of humanity to trust in the better side.

"My magic does not make me omniscient."

I hold up my right hand, shaking my head. "I'm not talking about crowning yourself God-King of Earth. I'm talking about educating decision-makers so they're a bit less ignorant." I shrug. "I don't actually mind you not having done it-"
Admittedly, I doubt some of them would really understand without it being explained very slowly, and in small words.

That is a direct lie, and I wish Diana was here to hear it.

"-but it's a bit rich to complain about the consequences now."
I figured he seemed a little too fine with it. :rolleyes:

"I suppose that I should take my share of responsibility. But I em not to blame for the wilful ignorance of thousands of men for dozens of generations."

I don't know about that. At this point he should probably have a good idea of how people think and behave. I don't expect much from most people, much as I'd like them to surprise me. But if you're going to be on the League you've really got to take that responsibility.
Like I said, he's seen far too much of Humanity's ugliness. I'm amazed he's still Enlightened after all these years...

But moving on.

"So… Are you willing to? Do you need me to do anything?"
At this point, OL, I think he'd be happy if you stopped talking... :oops:

He turns his head towards Mr. Zatara. "Are you certain that this is necessary?"

He nods. "I think that it is for the best. John Constantine is not someone who should be left unobserved."
This is a man who knows his shit when it comes to Constantine, after all.

"Then I shall do it. I do not need any materials, but it will take an hour for me to fully acclimatise myself to Earth's thaumic systems, even with the array's aid."

I nod. "Um. I'm never really sure, but… Do you want me to stay here to… Show that I'm paying attention, or should I just come back in an hour?"
I mean, we could get back to Krono's storyline in that time, so...

He waves me away with his right hand. "You are free to leave. I will send you the locations when I em finished."

"Thank you. I'll-."
Well, all-righty, then.

"But before you go, I think that I should ask if you are going to do anything which is likely to cause a large disruption to Earth's thaumic fields."

"Does overthrowing Zeus count?"
OL, that's why he's asking.

"If it were something that you had not yet done, then it would count."

"I'm trying to avoid…" Um. "Would making all plants on Earth highly deadly to demons count?"
Oh, right. Euanthe.

"Yes." / "What do you mean?"

"Okay, you remember how I gave Euanthe a piece of wood I got from Eden, and she used it to give herself anti-demon thorn armour?"
Turns out she really liked the idea, so...

Mr. Zatara's face falls slightly. "She is going to do the same to all of Brazil."

"Less Brazil, more the entire world. Other than disrupting long-running demon magic based spells I couldn't see a downside so I just left her to it."
...And this is why people think you shouldn't be left unsupervised, OL...

Dr. Balewa and Mr. Zatara share a slightly awkward look.

"I think that perhaps I should go to Brazil."
...Just to, you know, makes sure she doesn't inadvertently piss off all of demonkind and trigger a blood war?

"Um, okay, but I don't think Euanthe ever met you, and… Have you ever met Doctor Isley?"

"Yes. Once. While I was in Gotham and she was Poison Ivy."
Let's... Not use that name around her, hmm?

"Okay, look, I understand what this sounds like? But maybe you should leave this one to me."

He looks at me. After a moment his mouth twitches into something that might be trying to be a smile, but then it dies.
Sadly, all too common a reaction in OL's mentor figures...

"Why don't we both go."

"Ah, okay. Do you want me to go first and make a zeta tube construct? I'm pretty sure that there aren't any zeta tubes near their temple-palace."
Not like those installed in the region would have survived either the Sheeda invasion or the subsequent reforestation...

"Thank you, that would be helpful."

I nod, raising my right hand to my forehead.

"Rightho. See you shortly."
And the two wizards share a look once he's gone...

7th November 2012
08:38 GMT -3

I generate a zeta tube construct as I have a look around. The growth appears to have.. grown slightly, but otherwise not much has changed in the last-
Not sure even they could reshape a massive growth like this that quickly, OL...

"Recognised, Zatara, One One."

-week. Mr. Zatara looks around as he appears, taking everything in as if for the first… Time.
He probably did a few shows in the rich part of town, back in the day...

"Have you not been here since they took over?"

"Legally, this is a nation in a civil war. The League is not supposed to choose a side."
Albeit a war where one side can barely find the other to fight, and would struggle to hurt them if they did. While the opposition doesn't give a flying fuck about the others as long as they stay out of their woods...

"Which is reasonable, except that it might have reassured other countries if you spoke to the Accala or Euanthe about what their plans were." Hm, why would-? "Oh."

"Yes."
Care to share with the rest of the class, smart guy?

"Because if there was a peace settlement, then Accalacan would get a seat in the United Nations General Assembly."

"Why do you assume that it would stop there? The Accala control a large area of South America, an army of superpowered soldiers and a ruler who can control all of the plants in the world."
The question is, would they care enough to bother? Even if Hugo Danner could impress on them the sheer power the rest of the world could threaten them with... What does the outside world have to offer them?

"But they've… Got no economy, no trade, and they certainly won't assume Brazil's debts. Atlantis would be a better choice for the Security Council than Accalacan would be."

"Perhaps. But people do not see Atlantis, and Atlantis has been happy to stay under water ever since it sank. And everyone knows that Accalacan could conquer the rest of South America if it wanted to."
Key words being 'if it wanted to', Johnny. I suspect those still in the forests are happy to remain there, and those who visited the cities still hang out at the periphery...

True. And the reason they haven't is that the Accala and their immediate allies don't particularly want to rather than any actual difficulty they'd encounter.

I find myself frowning as we walk into the temple-palace.
The world's fear of the unknown is going to fuck it all up, isn't it?

So, then. Sounds like the 'developed' world is having worries about the tribesfolk of steel getting bored just hanging out in their woods. Why do I get the feeling there's something else behind that fear? Perhaps someone :sneaky: is a little upset about the 'status quo' of Earth 16 getting this altered, hmm? A word whispered in one world leader's ear, a nudge there to another's policies... Wouldn't take much to turn this situation into an event worthy of a line-wide summer crossover. :p

Last edited:
Then… You should probably have spent more of your life teaching, I guess." He looks at me in an interrogative manner. "You're old enough and powerful enough to have had plenty of opportunities to fix things about human civilisation that you don't like."

"My magic does not make me omniscient."

I hold up my right hand, shaking my head. "I'm not talking about crowning yourself God-King of Earth. I'm talking about educating decision-makers so they're a bit less ignorant." I shrug. "I don't actually mind you not having done it-"

It's also possible that he just couldn't have done it for a long period of time.

Gods, demigods, other sorcerers and all sorts of things existed that could have tried to stop him if he tried it.

That is a direct lie, and I wish Diana was here to hear it.

She'd probably look at you in a very slow manner or just snort.

"But before you go, I think that I should ask if you are going to do anything which is likely to cause a large disruption to Earth's thaumic fields

Smart, you gotta make sure that he doesn't do anything more crazy.

"I'm trying to avoid

You sometimes can't avoid things, Paul.

"Perhaps. But people do not see Atlantis, and Atlantis has been happy to stay under water ever since it sank. And everyone knows that Accalacan could conquer the rest of South America if it wanted to."

True. And the reason they haven't is that the Accala and their immediate allies don't particularly want to rather than any actual difficulty they'd encounter

They may want their old territory back but seeing as the rest of South America was not their territory, they don't care about it.

So, then. Sounds like the 'developed' world is having worries about the tribesfolk of steel getting bored just hanging out in their woods. Why do I get the feeling there's something else behind that fear? Perhaps someone :sneaky: is a little upset about the 'status quo' of Earth 14 getting this altered, hmm? A word whispered in one world leader's ear, a nudge there to another's policies... Wouldn't take much to turn this situation into an event worthy of a line-wide summer crossover. :p
First of all, this is Earth 16. Second, I kinda want to see Boss Smiley take Accalacan down a peg to remind them that they can't just ignore the rest of the world just because they have a new goddess to worship.

Pity he couldn't be arsed, then. I mean, given his lifespan, he's seen far too much of the bad side of humanity to trust in the better side.

See my post above; the guy may not have even been capable of doing it since there were things that could oppose him.

Like I said, he's seen far too much of Humanity's ugliness. I'm amazed he's still Enlightened after all these years...

Hey, if he's enlightened then he may also see the good in humanity.

At this point, OL, I think he'd be happy if you stopped talking... :oops:

Most would be.

Turns out she really liked the idea, so...

Not surprising given her experiences at the hands of demons.

And this is why people think you shouldn't be left unsupervised, OL...

This and a whole bunch of other reasons.

Sadly, all too common a reaction in OL's mentor figures...

Yep.

He probably did a few shows in the rich part of town, back in the day...

This may have been the rich part of town.

The question is, would they care enough to bother? Even if Hugo Danner could impress on them the sheer power the rest of the world could threaten them with... What does the outside world have to offer them?

A lot but nothing they'd necessarily want.

The world's fear of the unknown is going to fuck it all up, isn't it?

Probably.

"Would making all plants on Earth highly deadly to demons count?"

"Yes." / "What do you mean?"

"Okay, you remember how I gave Euanthe a piece of wood I got from Eden, and she used it to give herself anti-demon thorn armour?"

Mr. Zatara's face falls slightly. "She is going to do the same to all of Brazil."

"Less Brazil, more the entire world. Other than disrupting long-running demon magic based spells I couldn't see a downside so I just left her to it."

Dr. Balewa and Mr. Zatara share a slightly awkward look.

"I think that perhaps I should go to Brazil."

"Um, okay, but I don't think Euanthe ever met you, and… Have you ever met Doctor Isley?"

"Yes. Once. While I was in Gotham and she was Poison Ivy."

"Okay, look, I understand what this sounds like? But maybe you should leave this one to me."
Hey guys, remember this?
At this point I'd like to remind everyone that Gaia herself told OL he needed to go visit the new South American dryad plant goddess and help her understand something.

Which he has not done. He got there, said hello, and was then sidetracked by the divorce request.
Whatever looming issue Gaia thought needed addressing is still looming.
1: What are the odds "making all the plantlife in the entire world" is the thing OL was sent by Gaia to talk to her about?
2: Can I get a retroactive like here?

I wonder if there's Lord of Chaos Paul somewhere in the multiverse, being Mxyplik to some poor bastard out there for giggles
I would see a Lord of Chaos Paul as acting less like Mxyplik and more like an Evil Enlightened Self Interest Genie. Work with people to grant their wishes, with the limitation a wish will only be granted if the wish also advances one of Paul's goals, or is fulfilled in a way that advances one of his goals.

Wish to be King of the world, and you are! But that world, isn't Earth. You get some barren planet terraformed and a colony built for you, giving you power but also accomplishing Paul's goal of humanity having backups in the event of something happening to Earth.

Last edited:
Perhaps the most efficient superheroing possible on this Earth would be a super advisor who follows OL around and critiques his thinking.
Agreed.

They would probably have to be a Blue Lantern though so he could shut down LePaul long enough for him to actually listen.

Last edited:
"Legally, this is a nation in a civil war. The League is not supposed to choose a side."
Huh.

Thought: after the Sheeda flattened a lot of existing governments, how many nations are in civil war right now?
Depending on how much civil war is going on and how in their faces it's getting to some League members, they might be seriously chafing under the provisions that prevent them from intervening, or may begin to do so soon.

Huh.

Thought: after the Sheeda flattened a lot of existing governments, how many nations are in civil war right now?
Depending on how much civil war is going on and how in their faces it's getting to some League members, they might be seriously chafing under the provisions that prevent them from intervening, or may begin to do so soon.
I hope that flame girl that worked for Brazilian intelligence is still alive.

I don't know about that. At this point he should probably have a good idea of how people think and behave. I don't expect much from most people, much as I'd like them to surprise me. But if you're going to be on the League you've really got to take that responsibility.
This is funny as Paragon basically said he doesn't expect too much from the League either outside of their usual M.O., I believe in his last interaction with Alpha Centurion.

I wonder if other indigenous political movements around the world are interested in Accalacan as an alternate model to most modern nation-states, and in a post-Sheeda world, it may actually be viable to try establishing them to a degree. I wonder how the aftermath affected US tribal sovereignty and land rights, and things like that (I don't know much of Manitou Raven and Manitou Dawn, but I assume they're out there somewhere? though if they appear in 'modern' DC stories via time-travel, I guess they won't have much chance to show up).
I don't think Euanthe or Isley would demand worship anyway, so for tribes who still worship their existing gods and preserve/practice their religious traditions, I think the theological disturbances could be kept to a minimum.

But before you go, I think that I should ask if you are going to do anything which is likely to cause a large disruption

I think that I should ask if we're eventually going to see the heroes try to take out OL

Heroes: "Can you stop solving the flaws in our society so we can keep punching people in the face?"

"No"

Batman: *Cries while clutching his Bat-Teddy™*

This is funny as Paragon basically said he doesn't expect too much from the League either outside of their usual M.O., I believe in his last interaction with Alpha Centurion.

I wonder if other indigenous political movements around the world are interested in Accalacan as an alternate model to most modern nation-states, and in a post-Sheeda world, it may actually be viable to try establishing them to a degree. I wonder how the aftermath affected US tribal sovereignty and land rights, and things like that (I don't know much of Manitou Raven and Manitou Dawn, but I assume they're out there somewhere? though if they appear in 'modern' DC stories via time-travel, I guess they won't have much chance to show up).
I don't think Euanthe or Isley would demand worship anyway, so for tribes who still worship their existing gods and preserve/practice their religious traditions, I think the theological disturbances could be kept to a minimum.

I don't think the Sheeda invasion affected the situation for the various Native American groups in the US all that much since the US is still functioning.

Though it's highly likely that a lot were killed.

And while Euantge may not care about what people people worship, the various tribes may still abandon their previous gods for one that actually helped them.

How is the civil war still going after the Sheeda invasion? From what we've heard about the country so far there is no way Brazil is winning any war. Also, is Zatara officially back with the league?

How is the civil war still going after the Sheeda invasion?

From what we've heard about the country so far there is no way Brazil is winning any war.
There hasn't been a peace agreement between the rump of the Brazilian government and the Accala who occupy most of the country.
Also, is Zatara officially back with the league?
Officially, he never left.

Perhaps the most efficient superheroing possible on this Earth would be a super advisor who follows OL around and critiques his thinking.
I was honestly considering a scenario where Paul takes up Regular person as a companion Dr Who style to ground himself a little or at least remind himself of humanity. It came to me in the when he was in Japan and just went 'meh' at something that is actually awe inspiring. It kind of works; he's a 'eldritch monstrosity' he probably forgot what most humans are like.
How is the civil war still going after the Sheeda invasion? From what we've heard about the country so far there is no way Brazil is winning any war. Also, is Zatara officially back with the league?
He's likely League affiliates much like Paul is.

Mr Zoat, do you still do fan side-stories like in the old days or is that not possible any more.

Mr Zoat, do you still do fan side-stories like in the old days or is that not possible any more.
I'm not sure what you mean. This is a fan story. If you mean, are other people allowed to write subfics in this setting then no, that is completely forbidden and will result in me personally tracking the author down and eating their walrus.

I find myself frowning as we walk into the temple-palace.

Well, well, well, Paul. If it isn't the consequences of your own actions.

So, does that mean China was been off the security council for decades in WTR, because the folks in Tiawan haven't signed a peace agreement yet?

That means the League officially cannot be seen to pick a side between the People's Republic and the Republic Of.

So, does that mean China was been off the security council for decades in WTR, because the folks in Tiawan haven't signed a peace agreement yet?
China was off the Security Council for years in real life because of that. But no, that's not still the case, because inclusion on the Security Council is based on realpolitik rather than any sort of set rules.

True. And the reason they haven't is that the Accala and their immediate allies don't particularly want to rather than any actual difficulty they'd encounter.

As always, I really do adore the worldbuilding and politics here. it's better than canon

Presumably making all plant life anti-demon could have other side effects, but I imagine it's more 'drain magic' or 'change the plant life to the point it could hurt non-demons' more than anything.

aHH.. But he only joined the league recently. You cannot retroactively hold his behavior prior to joining the League against him!.... Or you can because he now has access to time travel. But that would affect casualtiy and he'll end up being blameless... Or you'll end up unable to cast blame anyhow.

Call John Constantine this irresponsible messing with magic is his shtick.... Oh wait. That's exactly what you're doing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back