• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

The more this goes on, the more I feel like this is less a crisis and more like John and Uncle Sam went out drinking and Paul is probably going to find them in Vegas surrounded by booze and hookers.

If this is true then Sam went out with John Constantine.

That is a disaster waiting to happen.

Though what John could have been doing here, I can't imagine.

The place is very magical and connected to death, and John may have been trying to contact a previous incarnation, so he could have been using it as a focus.

Ah. Okay, that makes sense. :p Also amazingly funny, a Brit having to sing an American patriotic marching tune...

I'm still hoping this episode includes him singing the sing from The Brave and the Bold.

...In fact, now I'm picturing it more like a pigeon

And now I can't stop imaging him sounding like Norm Macdonald.

I can just picture him sexually harassing Jade and insulting Paul.

Even if they're sloppy and undercooked? Not that OL would stand for that sort of low quality stuff, I suppose

He's British so his idea of good food is extremely warped.

Gee, red-blooded, huh? No vegetables for you.

He's free to eat whatever he wants.

Yeah, I was also thinking that.

That time period was pretty turbulent for America and its identity so maybe Fake Sam replaced his counterpart while he was weakened.

The more this goes on, the more I feel like this is less a crisis and more like John and Uncle Sam went out drinking and Paul is probably going to find them in Vegas surrounded by booze and hookers.

Except the Eagle said that Sam went missing in the 70s.

So if he went out with John than he's been hung over for decades apparently.

Either
as -> at
or
pulling -> pull
driving -> drive
Thank you, corrected.
I mean, Lattice is a real word, it's just a different word with an entirely different meaning. It means a structural framework of ordered intersections.
Yes, I know what a lattice is. I just assumed that my only mistake with lettuce was the first vowel. 'Lettice' just looks better.
I'm still hoping this episode includes him singing the sing from The Brave and the Bold.
"All your life you just stood there questioning
Feeling your ambition crumble away
As the power within you began to decay
Never finding what you were searching for
And feeling a longing you couldn't ignore
You felt it ache inside like never before"

"Take the path that the weak ones demonize
Look around and begin to realise"

"That you're no longer alone tonight
You're coming into your own tonight
One of the brave and the bold tonight"
He's British so his idea of good food is extremely warped.
Did you ever hear the story of how we invented curry?
That time period was pretty turbulent for America and its identity so maybe Fake Sam replaced his counterpart while he was weakened.
I was a little worried, given that I recently got a Rule 8 warning for something that happened in the 1930s.

Except the Eagle said that Sam went missing in the 70s.

So if he went out with John than he's been hung over for decades apparently.

Maybe John busted Sam out of whatever trouble he was in and they went drinking to celebrate?

All I can see is the two of them are missing, but nothing is on fire or being invaded by demons, so whatever is really going on can't be that bad.

The 70's is definitely interesting, given that Watergate was going on and is said to have destroyed a lot of America's trust in institutions, not to mention all the other counter culture stuff.

Actually, since this fic had Infinity Inc (and the Outsiders? Depending on Looker's age?) in the 80's, were there active heroes in the 70's?

Surprised nobody went to fish and chips to defend British food, or trifle.

Though I suspect Heartland might have a place for a Rockwellian Thanksgiving.
I was literally just about to post about chips. Just had some last night and I don't know how anyone can call that bad food.

Is it like the story of how you "discovered" all those artifacts in your museums?
Has anyone ever pretended that they weren't stolen? As a Briton I was under the impression that we always admitted they were stolen but we just don't want to give them back.

Is it like the story of how you "discovered" all those artifacts in your museums?
No. Basically, there was a newly opened Indian restaurant somewhere in the north, and a few of the locals came in to try it out. When the food was served they said it looked pretty good, but could they have gravy on it?

No. Basically, there was a newly opened Indian restaurant somewhere in the north, and a few of the locals came in to try it out. When the food was served they said it looked pretty good, but could they have gravy on it?

Truly it is an epic tale of culinary mastery of the British taking something someone else made and adding something different to it and then proclaiming it as their own.

So basically a typical British thing.

Okay, Demon constantine was definitely distracting him.

But why is it that people are invested in distracting him? I basically assume John's evil twin is using synchonity traveling to not be found.

"Orange Lantern. You got a minute?" Kal-El glances back, but Lantern Stewart just waves him on. He waits until the three of them are out of the room before turning back to me. "I thought of a couple of things after our talk in Argentina. About the situation with Nabu. You still talking to people about that?"

I shrug. "Yes. You know, when Batman first suggested it, I thought it would be a waste of time that would just result in more arguments. But actually… It's… Generally been a good way of talking about the underlying disagreements about the superheroic modus operandi. But it's also a nuisance, because I'd much rather have rejoined the team right away and it's not as if I usually have much to do with most Justice League members. This week was the first time I'd ever spoken to The Atom one to one. So?"

"So?"

"What exactly did you want to talk about?"

"You ever look at Doctor Fate's mission reports?"

"Yes. I read all of them several times. And I don't forget."

"Then you know how much work he was doing." I nod. "All the dangerous mystic artefacts he collected and put into storage, all the ancient evils sealed away he made sure stayed that way."

"Yes, as I said-."

"And we still don't have a replacement on the League."

"I found you two perfectly capable replacements. Both of whom have more experience than the rest of the League put together. And you should have been looking for additional magic users anyway. Heck, I gave Batman a list of possibles last year. Look, if there's been some sort of magical break out-."

"How about introducing us to the new Fate? You took him to Belle Reve before you brought him here."

"I… Can, but he doesn't have Nabu's knowledge. Honestly, I think-."
Hey does anyone know if we ever saw a continuation to this conversation between Superman and Paul about the Nabu situation?

Where do you find stuff like that? Like what are you searching for online to just come across niche factoids like that?
This was recently covered on... I think it was Today I Found Out? One of the YouTube channels dedicated to telling stories about unusual facts.

Of course, it's true that just passes the buck, but at some level it boils down to someone who went out of their way to research and compile a collection of unusual facts.

I was a little worried, given that I recently got a Rule 8 warning for something that happened in the 1930s.
... not asking what specifically it was, but was it something that people still get up in arms about today? Becase I'm pretty sure that the main purpose of Rule 8 is 'people are unable to make themselves be civil about this, so we're just blanket forbidding it.' 'Twenty years' is more of a guideline, I think?

Last edited:
Dear John (part 8)
7th November 2012
09:46 GMT -5

"F-eh."

The eagle's head darts left and right, fascinated Americans careful to keep out of potential lunge-distance but none the less forming a huddle of street-theatre appreciation. We're walking the streets of Washington to see if he can pick anything up. Or rather, I am while he rides along on a construct perch. So far he hasn't got a dickybird.

"What?"

"What's that smell?"

"How old are you?"

"I was here to greet the first European settlers." He ruffles his wings. "My cries echoing out across the bay, welcoming them to a land where men might stand tall."

"Funny, I don't remember Leif Erikson mentioning that."

He swivels his head towards me. "Who?"

I roll my eyes, and he goes back to watching for… Whatever eagelic manifestations of American Freedom watch for. "I mean, compared to the older American cities, I don't believe that Washington DC smells that bad."

"Are you talking about shit?"

"Shit, sweat, the unwashed masses with limited access to sanitation. Things like that."

"I'm an eagle. I don't care about human shit. Unless there's blood it in."

"Why, what's..?"

"Well, I wouldn't kill a human, but if they're going to die anyway there's no point wasting the meat."

"Ah… Just… Let me know if you smell… Human blood like that while I'm here."

"You want some?"

"No, but I'm willing to trade American food for the opportunity to get people medical attention."

"Deal."

"So… Do you have a name, or are you just The Eagle of Freedom?"

"That's not a name, that's a title." He points his wing out in what can't be a natural gesture for an eagle. "What's over that way?"

"About a quarter of the city? In a direct line…" Fiddlesticks. "The White House, where Uncle Sam is currently visiting."

"Sam doesn't smell like that."

"Well, maybe…" I take another look at the crowd. A few people are just following us along, creating an obstacle for the traffic as we go. "Don't talk about it where other people might hear that and report back?"

"Oh, no. None of these people can hear me. I'm a spirit animal."

So they've been recording me talking to an eagle… Acting like I was having a conversation with an eagle-.

"Okay, but they can see you, can't they?"

"Of course they can see me, I'm a giant bald eagle. Did you think they were seeing a budgie?"

"I don't know, you're a spirit animal. Last time I dealt with a spirit animal for any length of time, it was a construct enslaved to my ring. And it died."

"Yes, they all see a huge and glorious eagle, and they feel just a bit more proud and liberated. That's why they're following us."

"No, I think that's more of a 'follow the fuckhead' thing. We're street theatre."

"No, I'm pressing their cultural buttons and making their spirits resonate with the soul of the nation." He spreads his wings and poses for the crowd. "Feel my American spirit!"

"You said they can't understand you."

"No, I said they can't understand what I'm saying."

"I could set my rings to translate for you, if you want."

"This is a spiritual journey for you. It's not supposed to be for everyone."

"Like A-."

"Yes like America. Everyone has a chance to soar, everyone has a chance to plummet to their death because they misjudged a thermal. Do you see a parachute on my back?"

"No."

"No. That's right. And speaking of America, where's the Japanese embassy?"

"Massachusetts Avenue. Why?"

"Not a lot of Shinto shrines around here, but there should be one in the embassy."

I frown. "I can just fly us to-."

He flaps his wings as if to demonstrate his vigour. "I'm not a cripple, I'm just inclined to preserve my energy. It's a wild predator thing."

I pick up the perch and fly towards the embassy, to the pronounced disappointment of the crowd. "You mean lazy."

"It's instinctual."

"Why do we need a Shinto shrine?"

"I know Lady Liberty 'diversified her portfolio', and I need to talk to her."

"Will she understand what you're saying?"

"Of course she'll understand what I'm saying. We're part of the same pantheon, even if she has jumped ship."

"And you're not upset about that?"

"It's not easy being a spiritual manifestation in a monotheistic country. Besides, the Japanese could use some personal liberty."

"I'm pretty sure they've got liberty."

"No, the doors are open, but their minds are stuck in their pens. You know?"

"I know what you mean, but I'm not sure you're right."

"Let me know when you become a spirit animal."

I stop in the air and stare at him, my human body retreating and my snake body coming to the fore.

"Like now?"

"Ooooh I just guanoed myself. Okay. Spirit snake animal. Yeah."

"Right. I've just got a job."

"I have a job. And when I find him I'm going to peck Uncle Sam in the face until he gets back to doing his."

Last edited:
"I was here to greet the first European settlers." He ruffles his wings. "My cries echoing out across the bay, welcoming them to a land where men might stand tall

I wonder if he also added in that bit of killing natives and stealing their territory, along with the slavery thing?

He points his wing out in what can't be a natural gesture for an eagle

He's not a natural eagle.

Oh, no. None of these people can hear me. I'm a spirit animal."

So they've been recording me talking to an eagle… Acting like I was having a conversation with an eagle

It's not the weirdest thing you've done.

just a bit more proud and liberated. That's why they're following us."

"No, I think that's more of a 'follow the fuckhead' thing. We're street theatre."

"No, I'm pressing their cultural buttons and making their spirits resonate with the soul of the nation

I think it's a bit of both.

I'm really liking their interactions.

Hope to see more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back