• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Yikes.

Every country has an ugly underbelly of course, though usually you don't see it quite this...explicitly.

Though I wonder, if Paul changes and fixes things here what effect might that have on America? Maybe Boss Smiley shot himself in the foot with this one.

Also, an Avatar of Greed and a Paragon of Hope are now stuck in America's collective suppressed subconsious.

It feels very...topical.

And things are just going to get weirder from here, aren't they? At least the two best people to sort this out are on the job. The one who wants to sort this shit out, and the one who can bring hope to this hopeless place... Let's hope they can pull it off without an upheaval as big as OL caused Olympus...

Got to agree with you there, as long as Alan can keep his hope up they are all but certain to make some major changes to the place. The bigger question is will it last? Because I can't see them making any real fundamental change to the place given it's nature.

Last edited:
Frowning slightly, I generate a construct umbrella and set my environmental shield to clean me off. Alan copies me, though his umbrella is more classic and less aerodynamic.
Wow, sellout. You're taking product placement money now?

/Joke

"I'm going to guess that while the Heartlands is a sort of idealised America, this is the less optimistic place."

"Yeah." The eagle nods. "All of the worst bits and the worst interpretation of the rest with none of the positive bits."
I'm torn between the desire to make a joke about a certain bird themed social media platform and one with a certain long wavelength color in the name, commonly associated with blood and rage.

Also, that might count as political discussion, so I won't do either.

Last edited:
Oh boy. Journey into Darkness, though it is fitting that it reminds Paul of Bluedhaven.

Honestly glad it's someone from across the pond doing this. I've seen "USA at its worst" type arc from a local before. Let's just say it got... political.

TBH I can't see how discussing the worst of a country can't get at least a little political, since generally speaking people want politicians who address the country's biggest problems. To use an old punching bag scenario to avoid getting into modern politics, in the 1930's Germany Nazis thought that the worst thing about Germany was all the Jews, Roma, etc. German Jews thought the worst thing about Germany was all the anti-semitism (and post war poverty but my point is made).

The Cracklands is Florida.

Yes, New Jersey is finally getting away from that rep!

Given that Boss Smiley is involved it wouldn't be a surprise if the issue with Crimson Avenger II was apart of this too, while superheroes aren't an exclusively American idea it does heavily tie into the culture given groups like the JSA and the Justice League are primarily America based heroes. Maybe see some of the more morally dubious vigilantes pop up, altered or empowered and force to act as muscle.

I can definitely see Paul using his understanding of avarice to deal with the embodiments of maybe ruthless capitalism, greed fueled politicians, and other topics. While Alan's hope and experience can help inspire the down trodden mass to rise above their current lot, or at least lessen the burden for everyone else. Given Paul can convince a demon into reforming Hell, after some heavy alterations to their thinking, maybe turning something like the Blackheart into a less terrible place is possible.

Plus I can imagine that once Dr. Mist figure things out himself, with Demon Constantine's help, him and several heroes publicly confront the False Uncle Sam just for the real version comes forwards with Eagle on his shoulder and the missing heroes at his back. Not to mention while imprisoned he's been steadfast in his belief that he would escape but he's also been working out so he's rippling with muscles under his tattered suit.

I thought we already established this place was called Bludhaven ;P

Actually thats unfair. This is probably a step up from Bludhaven.

Is Evil Heartland based in any existing comic or media or are you world-building from scratch (and real life beliefs) Mr Zoat?

I'm not Zoat nor do I play him on TV, but I do believe these badlands are a Zoat invention, I don't remember the Uncle Sam series having anything of the sort.

By any chance is there a reading list for a lot of the stuff Zoat introduced? I listened to the 'How To Succeed in Evil' audiobook and read the Knight and Squire mini series because of this fic, and I constantly get curious about the DC characters introduced here that I don't recognize. (And is Captain Cornwall really only a cameo in Knight and Squire?)

Is Evil Heartland based in any existing comic or media or are you world-building from scratch (and real life beliefs) Mr Zoat?
Mostly mine. There was a thing in Sandman where a man got dragged into the mind of a city, but I can't recall any other direct inspiration.

Edit: Sorry, talking complete shit there. It's from Hellblazer.
And is Captain Cornwall really only a cameo in Knight and Squire?
Yes.

Last edited:
...I'll admit, I saw Captain Cornwall here and went 'What an interesting character! I can't wait to read about him, there's probably something in a JSA book about the great grandad, and maybe an Infinity Inc or Stargirl book with Rob, right?'

And then his only appearance was a cameo.

Kudos for making me really want to read more about him.

Big Belly Burger was seemingly inspired by Bob's Big Boy and I'm not sure if O'Shaughnessy's is supposed to be a McDonald's expy despite both having ethnic names.
I was limiting it to restaurants who I saw as bland name products for McDonald's
MacTavish is definitely one though, since it has a "MacBiggie" burger.

Fair enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back