• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

8th November 2012
18:58 GMT +3

The Demon Constantine struggles against the magic ropes binding him as we approach the storm on Roc-back.

"Bit excessive, innit?"
For a slippery leech like you? I don't think so. And I'm sure Doctor Balewa has a very firm connection to these bindings, too. After that close call in Dream-Baghdad, I'm sure OL, Alan and Sanderson will be on their guard now too.

"No." / "I don't think so." / "No." / "No."

I hold out my fig jar to him. He looks at it, then up at my face, then tries moving his right arm, which is bound to his chest by magic ropes.
Hey, don't expect him to feed you, Demon. He reserves that privilege for his lady.

I grin, then pull the jar away and take a fig for-. Oh, they left the wasp in it!

Two claps from the royal palanquin, and we turn to give our attention to the Caliph.
Well, extra protein! And yes, the wasp is a thing with Figs: it plays a part in the fertilization and fruiting of the bushes.

"I am certain that this event will be memorable, whatever occurs. Still, I would be interested to hear how you plan to cross the storm before you are utterly unmade by its wrath."

"It is true. The spell that I hev been using to get us this far will soon end. I am-."
Oh, that's what he was up to back in the city. Playing the part of 'the wise mentor who leaves the party to attend to his own business, then returns when needed...' Though I doubt he plans to play the 'sacrificial mentor' card anytime soon.

"What spell?"

Because I don't remember seeing him cast anything, and even if he did some combination of my spell eater and tattoos should have dealt with it by now. Or at least provided some sort of warning.
And if it was too subtle for them to notice? He is an expert wizard, after all.

"Orange Lantern, I em disappointed. Where are we?"

"The Dream, which… Has certain totemic forms which exist beyond the minds of individual dreamers, but I don't see how that's… The city."
And the good Doctor can weave the threads of Narrative to his advantage upon such a loom.

He smiles. "Ah, you were paying attention. Good."

"The city has more tightly defined rules than the Dream in general. Which means that it can be manipulated into pushing us into advantageous positions."
In this case, the gourds from the merchant's collection, and the watchful gaze of the Caliph.

"A Caliph, receiving honest but unwelcome advice from a mad prophet."

"I'm not a prophet. I never got higher in the Silver City than the Angel Kings. And they didn't give me any sort-."
What, not upset by being called mad? Ah, but 'We're all mad here' of course. Anyone using a Ring has to be a little off.

"You've-!" The Caliph's eyes are wide, but he masters himself immediately. "Do you mean to say that you have visited the City of Heaven?"

"Sort of. He wasn't there in any special way. As I understand it, the gardens around the city are where the souls of the righteous monotheistic dead go to begin the process of shedding their egos so that they can join with God." I shrug. "It's not really my thing. They had to murder and abduct me to get me there, and I left as soon as I could."
And it's not like you had time to sightsee, anyway...

The Caliph smiles. "That must be a story! In the unlikely event that your soul is not torn asunder, I bid you return to my city as my guest and share it."

I shrug. "Alright. Time allowing. Is it alright if I bring a guest?"
Ah, avoiding the Narrative of 'my work is done, I should go.' and promptly dying.

"By all means."

Excellent! It'll be nice to have a non-working date lined up next time Jade is available.
Man, other women hearing her stories must be super-jealous... If they can believe them...

"Though I'm not sure how that helps us get through the storm."

Dr. Balewa reaches over and takes my fig jar, removing a single fig before passing it to Alan. "Each of us must eat one."
Just one, or can they snack? :p

"A conceptual link by a single fruit?" I frown. "Seems a bit weak."

"Heroes sharing food before setting out on the final part of their quest." Alan takes a fig before passing the jar to Sanderson. "The difficulty is that from the point of view of the city, our part in its story is complete. The magic may well be satisfied with us dying, so long as we do so out of sight."
As long as it isn't a last supper, anyway. Because stories can be cruel that way.

"Hence you nudging me to bring up the Heaven thing. Alright, but that still doesn't get us through the storm."

Sander swallows his fig. "I think I've got an idea. Storms are made up of irrationality, aren't they? So there used to be more to every bit of the storm than is there now. And since we've got all these dream gourds with us, we might be able to attach these dreams to what's there."
Hmm... Wanna take over, Old Luke?
"Amazing. Every word you just said was wrong."

"Good." Dr. Balewa nods. "Good. Of course, thet will not work, but it is a logical suggestion."

"Well, gosh darn it."
Hey, don't be hard on yourself. When 50,000 years old you are, as wise shall you be, hmm?

"The chance that we would gather every dream whose irrationality became part of a primordial storm is astronomically low. No, we will be taking advantage of The Demon Constantine's command of chaos magic."

"I'm not that good-."
...I don't think he was planning on letting you actually do anything of your own volition, Demon-boy.

Alan ignores him, nodding slowly. "Is that why he's got the ropes?"

"Indeed. We will be pouring every one of these dreams into him."
...Okay, this is going to be good. How even...

"What?"

"All of them?"
Well, get ready to open wide, Demon... And hope they're not being supplied in suppository form. :oops:

Dr. Balewa nods. "Yes."

"What?"
Okay, seriously, when did the Tenth Doctor show up? :p

"His aim will be to create a chaotic mess of mental imagery such as will allow him to connect to whatever of the storm's winds that blow against us. If he is successful, and we are in constant motion, that should be enough to create a short lived path through the storm."

The Demon's eyes are wide with astonishment. "Maybe, you crazy fucker, but I still won't know where I'm going! I'll be blind and deaf and high as a fucking kite on all that dream essence!"
...So, they're going to be using him... Like an Icebreaker for the storm?

"Thet is where Sandman comes in. He will need to use his Dream-granted foresight to bring us to the tower along the path thet The Demon will make."

"And that will work?"
Great, so Sanderson's now a tugboat. :rolleyes:

"Thet can work. I will be using my owen abilities to help things along, but we are covering entirely new ground. I will hev to write a report for the Conservatory of Sorcery."

Alan looks unsettled. "If we survive."
Hey, aren't you supposed to be the hopeful one? :confused:

"As you say."

Sanderson moves his mask enough to eat a fig. He then does so with a definite lack of enthusiasm. "What'll it be like?"
Seriously, modular mask with a movable mouthpiece. Your skin will thank you.

"The pathway will be both a pathway and a series of linked ideas and dreams. To move between them will require both constant movement and a constant change of thoughts as we comply with the tone of each Dream. There is nothing quite like it which can be experienced." He smiles. "I am looking forward to it."

"Because you're so old that new experiences are rare?"
...I swear, if this turns into a scooby-doo chase scene through the storm... :D

"Ah, no. Since I hev joined the Justice League, I have had a new experience at least once a week. Whatever reservations I hev about the organisation, thet, I do not regret. No, this is really more the first time I have truly stretched myself with new magic in longer than I can recount."

He stands as the wall of the outskirts of the storm approaches.

"And now, the gourds."
Well, at least one of them is enjoying himself...

So, then. One last obstacle to be cleared, then the Tower heist truly begins. And this one is going to be a real doozy of a trip. Especially for the Demon Constantine. So, grab your popcorn or Malteasers for tomorrow's chapter, and let the fun begin. ...As long as that definition of fun includes, running, screaming and praying, I suspect. :D

I grin, then pull the jar away and take a fig for-. Oh, they left the wasp in it!
Technically, that would actually mean the fig was unripe, rather than any choices with the preparation. Figs produce digestive enzymes that break down the pollinating wasp for protein to help feed the tree and the ripening process.

Oh, that's what he was up to back in the city. Playing the part of 'the wise mentor who leaves the party to attend to his own business, then returns when needed...' Though I doubt he plans to play the 'sacrificial mentor' card anytime soon.

Not unless it's like Gandalf and he can come back stronger.

What, not upset by being called mad?

He's accepted that.

...I swear, if this turns into a scooby-doo chase scene through the storm

Then you'll love it.

And I'm kinda reminded of the Supernatural episode where Sam, Dean and Castiel were trapped in an episode of Scooby Doo and am kinda hoping the same happens to these guys.

"I'm not a prophet. I never got higher in the Silver City than the Angel Kings. And they didn't give me any sort-."

"You've-!" The Caliph's eyes are wide, but he masters himself immediately. "Do you mean to say that you have visited the City of Heaven?"

"Sort of. He wasn't there in any special way. As I understand it, the gardens around the city are where the souls of the righteous monotheistic dead go to begin the process of shedding their egos so that they can join with God." I shrug. "It's not really my thing. They had to murder and abduct me to get me there, and I left as soon as I could."

"He wasn't there in any special way" seems like OL is speaking of himself in the third person. Is that intentional?

"Ah, no. Since I hev joined the Justice League, I have had a new experience at least once a week. Whatever reservations I hev about the organisation, thet, I do not regret. No, this is really more the first time I have truly stretched myself with new magic in longer than I can recount."
I'm fond of this. It says a lot that a comic-book Earth is so crazy that someone of Dr. Mist's experience can find so many new things by joining a major superteam.

Damn it John. This would have been the perfect time to betray them. You're getting rusty.

"did, some combination"
I think that's okay.
Well...
Sander? Also, did he eat two figs because he likes them, or is that first one supposed to be someone else?
Thank you, corrected.
I have had a new experience at least once a week
Thank you, corrected.
"He wasn't there in any special way" seems like OL is speaking of himself in the third person. Is that intentional?
Ah. That was an edit thing. It was originally 'City of Allah', then I changed it and didn't change the following line.

Is he pronouncing 'am' as 'em'? I don't remember seeing this before.
The spell that I hev been using to get us this far will soon end. I am-
'em'
The spell that I hev been
'thet'
The difficulty is that from the point of view
'thet
The chance that we would gather every dream
'thet'
connect to whatever of the storm's winds that blow
'thet'
that should be enough to create a short lived
'thet'
the first time I have truly stretched
'hev'

'em'

'thet'

'thet

'thet'

'thet'

'thet'

'hev'
51VJHIhzOUL._SL500_.jpg

I'm going to be putting the Doctor on a bus. It's the only way.

Deep breath.

'em'
Nonono I'm changing it! Forget ah to eh consistency if it means that I don't have to constantly correct another word!
'thet'
'thet
'thet'
'thet'
'thet'
'hev'
Thank you, corrected.

That's...all of what is happening, every single chapter of this self-insert fanfiction.
But he's not in a Scooby Doo universe, so it's not happening.

Granted, he is in a universe that belongs to a continuitythat saw DC and Scooby Doo interact.
51VJHIhzOUL._SL500_.jpg

I'm going to be putting the Doctor on a bus. It's the only way.

Deep breath.

Nonono I'm changing it! Forget ah to eh consistency if it means that I don't have to constantly correct another word!

Thank you, corrected.

Just stop doing it and write the sentences in a normal way.

There's nothing stopping the guy from getting better at English.

Excellent! It'll be nice to have a non-working date lined up next time Jade is available.
Debating theology with a dream might not technically be work, but I very much doubt it is something Jade would enjoy.

Also isn't organising mass social change what got your last 'date' declared work in the first place?

Debating theology with a dream might not technically be work, but I very much doubt it is something Jade would enjoy.

Also isn't organising mass social change what got your last 'date' declared work in the first place?
I think the idea is that they'd talk about theology and also just lark about the city. Jade might not like the theology, but I imagine she'd enjoy the larking.
"Are they really going to be a problem? They're suppose to be really weak."
'supposed'
I found this in the story-only thread. It's from when the world gets split, and Paragon and Cornwall Boy are talking about Praexis demons. Don't know if the error is just in story-only or in both versions.

Also, can anyone point me to Doctor Mist's first appearance in the story? I want to trawl through his appearances. I might have to start using dark mode, though.

I think the idea is that they'd talk about theology and also just lark about the city. Jade might not like the theology, but I imagine she'd enjoy the larking.

'supposed'
I found this in the story-only thread. It's from when the world gets split, and Paragon and Cornwall Boy are talking about Praexis demons. Don't know if the error is just in story-only or in both versions.

Also, can anyone point me to Doctor Mist's first appearance in the story? I want to trawl through his appearances. I might have to start using dark mode, though.

Wasn't it around the time Paul was looking for a new sorcerer for the League? Sorry it's not an exact chapter, but it should help in the index. That would be around September 2011.

Agreed, I love Dr. Mist. It's great he experiences new things with the League and new magic with Paul. Honestly it might be part of why he's fine with going along with Paul's crazy schemes.

I do wonder how Paul would get him and Jade into the city given what it took to get there the first time. Still, it's fun that he's always looking for date ideas.

'supposed'

Thank you, corrected.
Here.

You will note that I didn't originally write his accent. Or perhaps he wasn't speaking English.

Thank you, corrected.

Here.

You will note that I didn't originally write his accent. Or perhaps he wasn't speaking English.
Thanks. Did he put less effort into his English as he got more accustomed to his new colleagues, or something?
Edit: I just realised that he actually does have an accent in that chapter, but only when talking about how much he hates Constantine. Hahaha. Also, his accent is on 'wherever' and 'stand', which I don't remember seeing mispronounced more recently, so I guess he hates Constantine so much that it really affected his speech that much.

Last edited:
Oh lord, imagine being told you have drive a runaway plane while blind, death and high as a kite.
I feel just a little, itty bitty bit, bad for demon Constantine.

Hellblazer didn't make it up.

The Seal of Solomon was a "seal, stamp, or die," it's a signet ring.
Where did I claim otherwise? I'm WELL aware of that. But the Seal of Solomon is a signet ring in the mysticism from our world. In Hellblazer, it's a magical diagram. With This Ring uses the Hellblazer version.

You will note that I didn't originally write his accent.
You gave yourself an out a long time ago -- originally you had said that his accent slips when he's not focusing. So all you have to say is that he's found a reason to put some thought into his diction.

"Sort of. Allah wasn't there in any special way. As I understand it, the gardens around the city are where the souls of the righteous monotheistic dead go to begin the process of shedding their egos so that they can join with God." I shrug. "It's not really my thing. They had to murder and abduct me to get me there, and I left as soon as I could."
Add another one to the pile of LePaul made up storied about the Silver City!

Where did I claim otherwise? I'm WELL aware of that. But the Seal of Solomon is a signet ring in the mysticism from our world. In Hellblazer, it's a magical diagram. With This Ring uses the Hellblazer version.

You are proving otherwise right here. In real world mysticism the Seal of Solomon has been a reference to the symbol on the ring, a tradition that goes back over 500 years. As I specifically pointed out in the part of my message you didn't quote.

Kind of the entire point of everything I typed in that message.

Hellblazer rules in this matter= Centuries of real world occult lore.

By typing

Vae... He did his research -- research of Hellblazer canon, not real-world mysticism.

You implied that the Hellblazer canon and real world mysticism disagreed on this point.

They do not.

Which is why I typed a message pointing out that they do not.

Which your response shows you did not know this, even after reading my message that points this out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back