• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Colloquialism. 'holding down the fort' means 'keeping things in order/functioning', usually meaning that someone's keeping things functioning while someone else is absent or something is going on.
No, the colloquialism is 'hold the fort'. That is to say, maintain possession of the fortified building against the attack. 'Hold down the fort' is just wrong.

Yes, but as I said in my comment, Earth is what matters.

While LePaul might like to go, "Oh hum, I will just evacuate the people I like and everything will be fine." that's complete and utter bullshit. And he knows that's complete and utter bullshit. Because Earth is literally the most important planet in the universe. It's the Fourth World, home of the Life Entity, home of the Endless, the planet literally the entire multiverse revolves around.

It's the Fifth World. The New Gods are the Fourth.

Would New Genesis be the Fourth and then Apokalips was colonized? Or was there a separate world they both game from?

Maltus was the first. Oa the second. What was the Third world?

Would New Genesis be the Fourth and then Apokalips was colonized? Or was there a separate world they both game from?

They used to be a single planet, inhabited by The Old Gods. The Maltusians got feed up with them after they'd basically wiped themselves out and spilt the planet into New Genesis and Apokalips.

I don't think we know what Third World was, though I could be wrong.

They used to be a single planet, inhabited by The Old Gods. The Maltusians got feed up with them after they'd basically wiped themselves out and spilt the planet into New Genesis and Apokalips.

I don't think we know what Third World was, though I could be wrong.
Wonderworld.

No, the colloquialism is 'hold the fort'. That is to say, maintain possession of the fortified building against the attack. 'Hold down the fort' is just wrong.

No. "Hold down the fort" is the saying. It doesn't mean hold it against attack; it means "keep it staffed". Same verb as "He has to hold down two jobs to pay the bills." Generally connoting a skeleton crew, or else replacing someone with bigger shoes you're filling. When the US president and everyone is at the State of te Union, the Secretary of Agriculture holds down the fort in case they get bombed, so that someone in the line of succession is alive.

Some people probably do say "hold the fort", the same way people say "free reign" instead of "free rein". They're wrong.

Oh wow, it looks like I started a 'Does Dawn and Don sound the same?' argument.
HAH! That's an easy one! You fell at the first hurdle. Obviously, it's 'Do Dawn and Don sound the same?'
No. "Hold down the fort" is the saying. It doesn't mean hold it against attack; it means "keep it staffed". Same verb as "He has to hold down two jobs to pay the bills." Generally connoting a skeleton crew, or else replacing someone with bigger shoes you're filling. When the US president and everyone is at the State of te Union, the Secretary of Agriculture holds down the fort in case they get bombed, so that someone in the line of succession is alive.

Some people probably do say "hold the fort", the same way people say "free reign" instead of "free rein". They're wrong.
No, the original meaning, the literal meaning, is hold out against an attack. The colloquial version treats holding out against an attack and just being there as the same.

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain this is a case of UK vs US again. As in, "Hold the fort" is how it's said in Britain and "Hold down the fort" is from the US; obviously there will be people from one side or the other that say it the way the other side says it, probably by osmosis or something. As such, both are correct, the same way some words like color/colour are correct in both ways of spelling.

Technically, however, the idiom most likely originated in the UK first so...

Take it away, dear Mitchell!

HAH! That's an easy one! You fell at the first hurdle. Obviously, it's 'Do Dawn and Don sound the same?'

No, the original meaning, the literal meaning, is hold out against an attack. The colloquial version treats holding out against an attack and just being there as the same.

Very well. "Do Dawn and Don sound the same?" Which of course they do not.

Jet Fighter (part 7)
31st December 2012
22:30 GMT +1

"Choo choo, muthaf-"

The robot turns its head towards Guy and raises its right hand, a-

BOOM!

-boom tube appearing directly in front of him.

"Graviton deflator. And message Alan."

"Compliance."

And then immediately collapsing as the gravitational anomaly which allows space to be torn asunder in that way collapses. There'll be a small amount of alpha and x-ray radiation released, but not enough to harm anyone who isn't right next to it and Guy's protected by his construct.

Dox will be pleased that his work on the subject came in handy.

"-aka!"

Guy's construct slams into the robot, smashing its right arm into its chest and sending it staggering back a step. But just one step, and Guy's full force constructs are no joke. Inside the train Guy drifts towards the rear while continuing to pour on the power, but it's not working. The robot's recovered-

I send filaments under the road surface and replace the road surface with a frictionless construct.

-but fails to adjust to the sudden change. It slips backwards, falling-. Falling from ninety to eighty degrees before 'catching' itself on the air and righting itself. Red beams flash from its eyes and slice through Guy's construct, reducing it to green mist. Guy's already out, dropping down to swing a hammer construct at its crotch.

The robot blurs back out of hammer range, causing Guy to miss.

Railgun. Target the eyes.

Compliance.

The robot raises its left hand, red energy coalescing in its palm for a moment before arcing at Guy. Guy generates a shield construct, which the red… Plasma? Lightning? Eats through rapidly. But Guy's fine with that, shoving his shield forward and creating more shield at the back.

Come-

The robot's eyes glow red.

-onfire.

The crumbler round screeches through the air at a far higher speed than I usually use. I'm not trying to keep the evil god-robot intact, after all. The red glow in its eyes brightens a little as Guy's ablative shield starts to get ablated faster than he can restore it, then the crumbler round hits. There's a sort of… Pulse of red, radiating out for a moment from the point of impact. Then the glow dims, the beam from its hand cuts out and its head turns in my direction.

Looks like I mildly abraded its paintwork. I can still see the faint default glow of its-

BOOM!

-eyesdodge!

The swirling grey portal appears above me, next to where I was a fraction of a second ago. Even as I pull away I can feel a strange pull that I haven't felt from other boom tubes. But I suppose that those were travel tubes, rather than any kind of weapon.

I trigger the graviton deflator again and the tube aperture collapses.

CLANK!

While the robot was focusing on me, Guy dropped his shield construct in favour of his hammer and swung, hitting the robot on the side of its right knee. There's a slight shimmer, and I note with a small smile that he added a crumbler effect to it. The robot doesn't appear to be impaired, but in a situation like this we're pretty much reduced to hammering at it until something gives.

Looks like crumblers don't do a whole lot. Dox might have tried getting hold of radion weapons to fight Grayven, but none of them have made their way to me. Next on the list…

Bullets plink off my environmental shield as a group of Justifiers jog into position in a nearby street. They're basically incapable of harming-

"Anti-Life justifies their actions." Inalienable Truth.

-meagh!

Fly! Fly!

Those bullets just punched through my construct armour, environmental shield, kinetic barrier and actual armour! I'm-.

Ow.

The bullets… In my body, looks like they're normal. I pull them out of my body and knit my flesh back together.

"…okay?!"

"Yeah! Fine! Bullets-"

The squad of Justifiers fire another volley, so I try blocking with a girder I put in subspace for blocking the omega beams. That… Appears to work. Don't know why.

"-go through everything!"

Another volley, and this one punches through the girder, but none of it hits me. No reason to suppose that the Justifiers were trained soldiers before their brains were annexed.

"I got the robot, deal with-!"

The robot swings its left fist, smashing through his construct shield and sending him flying into a building!

Okay, Justifier helmets cover the mouth and nose. I don't know for certain that they have their own air supply, so I'll drop knock-out gas on them on the off-chance. They can't fly so they can't punch me up here, so if I grab their guns with construct hands-.

Oh. That worked. Quick scan… No, it's N.A.T.O. standard, no special modifications here.

Bang!

What?

Bang! Bang! Bang! B-!

I grab the pistol out of the last surviving Justifier's hand before he can shoot himself in the head like his squad mates did. He charges after it, frantically grabbing at it!

"To fail Mannheim is to lose all worth! I cannot bear his eyes upon me! I long for-!"

Construct straight jacket, construct manacles, x-ionised blades to cut at the-.

They fail to breach the helmet's armour. Okay, crumbler? No, no, not going through and I'm worried that they'd kill the Justifier if I increased the power. Ugh, have to risk-. Cover the x-ionised blade in an environmental shield and drain and cut.

Okay, that's working, go faster. Cut around the faceplate, can't feel any straps, and pull! And it's off. Don't recognise the man, but that's hardly a surprise. He doesn't seem to be snapping out of it, but he's still being exposed to the background Anti-Life.

I'm viffing the moment I hear the voice, bullets peppering the position I was occupying as squads of Justifiers run towards us from all directions. I can-.

"AGH!"

Last edited:
And then immediately collapsing as the gravitational anomaly which allows space to be torn asunder in that way collapses. There'll be a small amount of alpha and x-ray radiation released, but not enough to harm anyone who isn't right next to it and Guy's protected by his construct.

This is a callback to when Dox used his ring to create a boom tube in this episode.

I wonder if they're going to contact New Genesis to ask if the robot has weaknesses.

31st December 2012
22:30 GMT +1

"Choo choo, muthaf-"

The robot turns its head towards Guy and raises its right hand, a-
Ha, called his line! To be fair, Guy is about blunt enough to use something that cheesy. Now, let's see just how tough this git is, hmm? I fully expect it to be equipped with Apokalips' Anti-Green Lantern counter-measures, but those were designed for unenlightened Lanterns, methinks.

BOOM!

-boom tube appearing directly in front of him.
Ah, going straight for the 'go be somewhere else' method of dealign with attackers, huh?

"Graviton deflator. And message Alan."

"Compliance."
Bet that message reads something like "Arrived safe, engaging hostile robot."

Nice, Boom Tube disrupter... Bet Grayven's forces have been getting a taste of that out there.

"-aka!"

Guy's construct slams into the robot, smashing its right arm into its chest and sending it staggering back a step. But just one step, and Guy's full force constructs are no joke. Inside the train Guy drifts towards the rear while continuing to pour on the power, but it's not working. The robot's recovered-
Not bad, given Finality Man is more than your typical 60'-tall killer robot. Even staggering it must have taken a lot of force.

I send filaments under the road surface and replace the road surface with a frictionless construct.

-but fails to adjust to the sudden change. It slips backwards, falling-. Falling from ninety to eighty degrees before 'catching' itself on the air and righting itself. Red beams flash from its eyes and slice through Guy's construct, reducing it to green mist. Guy's already out, dropping down to swing a hammer construct at its crotch.
Ah, let me guess. It can fly, and is taking full advantage of being able to ignore momentum.

The robot blurs back out of hammer range, causing Guy to miss.

Railgun. Target the eyes.
Heh, both of them fighting dirty. No politeness in combat here.

Compliance.

The robot raises its left hand, red energy coalescing in its palm for a moment before arcing at Guy. Guy generates a shield construct, which the red… Plasma? Lightning? Eats through rapidly. But Guy's fine with that, shoving his shield forward and creating more shield at the back.
As long as it doesn't pop it all at once, he'll be fine.

Come-

The robot's eyes glow red.

-onfire.
Ah, holding off until its gun barrel is full before spiking it, eh?

The crumbler round screeches through the air at a far higher speed than I usually use. I'm not trying to keep the evil god-robot intact, after all. The red glow it its eyes brightens a little as Guy's ablative shield starts to get ablated faster than he can restore it, then the crumbler round hits. There's a sort of… Pulse of red, radiating out for a moment from the point of impact. Then the glow dims, the beam from its hand cuts out and its head turns in my direction.
Welp. Looks like the DPS drew aggro. That never ends well...

Looks like I mildly abraded its paintwork. I can still see the faint default glow of its-

BOOM!

-eyesdodge!
Boy, he's a tough one, ain't he? Wonder how much of that is material durability, and how much is metaphysical?

The swirling grey portal appears above me, next to where I was a fraction of a second ago. Even as I pull away I can feel a strange pull that I haven't felt from other boom tubes. But I suppose that those were travel tubes, rather than any kind of weapon.

I trigger the graviton deflator again and the tube aperture collapses.
Oooh, Ominous. Let's hope it doesn't try that again...

CLANK!

While the robot was focusing on me, Guy dropped his shield construct in favour of his hammer and swung, hitting the robot on the side of its right knee. There's a slight shimmer, and I note with a small smile that he added a crumbler effect to it. The robot doesn't appear to be impaired, but in a situation like this we're pretty much reduced to hammering at it until something gives.
...You're gonna be here all day, I think.

Looks like crumblers don't do a whole lot. Dox might have tried getting hold of radion weapons to fight Grayven, but none of them have made their way to me. Next on the list…

Bullets plink off my environmental shield as a group of Justifiers jog into position in a nearby street. They're basically incapable of harming-
Let me guess, OL literally does have a list of construct weapon and railgun ammunition types he's going to run down...

-meagh!
Oh, foul! :confused: Looks like the helmets do more than maintain control.

Fly! Fly!

Those bullets just punched through my construct armour, environmental shield, kinetic barrier and actual armour! I'm-.
Dang, talk about Piercing damage.

Ow.

The bullets… In my body, looks like they're normal. I pull them out of my body and knit my flesh back together.
At least you don't have to worry too much about rattling after this.

"…okay?!"

"Yeah! Fine! Bullets-"
Ooh, Guy better be careful. His defences aren't nearly so heavy...

The squad of Justifiers fire another volley, so I try blocking with a girder I put in subspace for blocking the omega beams. That… Appears to work. Don't know why.

"-go through everything!"
Totally cheating. Geez, talk about fake difficulty. Lazy developers! :p

Another volley, and this one punches through the girder, but none of it hits me. No reason to suppose that the Justifiers were trained soldiers before their brains were annexed.
So, lousy shots, but when they do hit you with their special attack...

"I got the robot, deal with-!"

The robot swings its left fist, smashing through his construct shield and sending him flying into a building!
...Yeah, you got the robot exactly where you want him, huh? :V

Okay, Justifier helmets cover the mouth and nose. I don't know for certain that they have their own air supply, so I'll drop knock-out gas on them on the off-chance. They can't fly so they can't punch me up here, so if I grab their guns with construct hands-.

Oh. That worked. Quick scan… No, it's N.A.T.O. standard, no special modifications here.
So, definitely something tied to the helmets, then.

Bang!

What?

Bang! Bang! Bang! B-!
Back-up weapons, OL. Still a thing.

I grab the pistol out of the last surviving Justifier's hand before he can shoot himself in the head like his squad mates did. He charges after it, frantically grabbing at it!

"To fail Mannheim is to lose all worth! I cannot bear his eyes upon me! I long for-!"
Ow. Talk about a bad boss. Following in the tradition of Darkseid, of course...

Construct straight jacket, construct manacles, x-ionised blades to cut at the-.

They fail to breach the helmet's armour. Okay, crumbler? No, no, not going through and I'm worried that they'd kill the Justifier if I increased the power. Ugh, have to risk-. Cover the x-ionised blade in an environmental shield and drain and cut.
Definitely something metaphysical in their durability, then, if monomolecular edges won't cut it.

Okay, that's working, go faster. Cut around the faceplate, can't feel any straps, and pull! And it's off. Don't recognise the man, but that's hardly a surprised. He doesn't seem to be snapping out of it, but he's still being exposed to the background Anti-Life.

...And of course there's more than one squad...

I'm viffing the moment I hear the voice, bullets peppering the position I was occupying as squads of Justifiers run towards us from all directions. I can-.

"AGH!"
Oof, sounds like Guy isn't doing so hot.

I have the feeling this is going to be something of a mauling until OL works out some trick to damaging the big bot. Given that Infinity Man was basically indestructible, his philosophical opposite is naturally just as tough... And with all those Justifiers running around with their cheaty magic bullets, this is going to be quite the furball.

...yeah, Mannheim himself might have been saying the proper words, but his minions are all praising/serving/desparing over failing Mannheim, not Darkseid.

If this gets back to Darkseid, the big grey dude is not going to be best pleased by this...

Anti-Life justifies their actions." Inalienable Truth.

-meagh!

Fly! Fly!

Ow.

Huh, looks like Bruno has been giving them some upgrades.

The squad of Justifiers fire another volley, so I try blocking with a girder I put in subspace for blocking the omega beams. That… Appears to work. Don't know why

I'm reminded of something I've seen in a lot if Harry Potter ficw where the solution for blocking the killing curse is to conjure a solid material in front of you.

Nice, Boom Tube disrupter... Bet Grayven's forces have been getting a taste of that out there.

I doubt it.

Grayven is interested in defeating the Reach, so Dox may think it prudent to let him continue existing so that the Reach has to deal with him too.

Once the Reach is gone then they'll kill him.

Groups LePaul could be calling for help that he's not.

The Sivana's.

Hephaestus

New Genesis

That Kryptonian AI with all the robots that Mr Zoat completely forgot about.

The Martians

Of those, how many are immune or even resistant to antilife? Mannheim got freaking Scott Free. Hephaestean could probably fight it off for a while but he'd also have the most disastrous consequences if he were to succumb. The Sivana's are probably so susceptible that they are wallowing in their missery all the way on Venus. The Martians? Do you want to give your enemy unstoppable super soldiers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back