• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Hey Zoat. Quick question. I'm trying to find a certain chapter so I can reread it and I can't seem to find it anymore. It was one of the few things not written by you that became canon. IIRC it was about a bunch of Green Lanterns discussing their meeting with Paul to the Guardians?
No idea. Sorry.

Hey Zoat. Quick question. I'm trying to find a certain chapter so I can reread it and I can't seem to find it anymore. It was one of the few things not written by you that became canon. IIRC it was about a bunch of Green Lanterns discussing their meeting with Paul to the Guardians?
It's the part after the part where this quote comes from.

If you mean a link to the original, it's here.

That isn't a mistake, that's a portmanteau of "Ophidian+me".
Ah. Thanks for the clarification.
In The Land of Doyle, I haven't investigated superior suicide methods.
Nitrogen-assisted suicide chamber.
So, you smashed your keyboard?
I'm going to say 'yes, but only slowly'. That's a provisional answer and may change if it ever comes up.

Or I forget I gave it. Honestly, that's more likely.
That's why you have us to kick your ass when you do forget. And an extra 5-10% in an emergency could be potentially life-saving.

After each death he was dumped in a Lazarus Pit, so that should have hopefully fixed any damage.

I'm guessing he did it because it was either less painful, or because he wanted some control over his life and expressed that desire in what way he wished to die.
I meant as in painful effects, but then again, that Paul was used to pain, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Needed data, not a power source.

Studying the creatures connection to the yellow light of fear is what was needed, in order to emulate it, rather then try to siphon directly off the firehose of fear that is Parallax.

The OG yellow ring that Sinestro needed the fear of that whole planet dying to get enough info, and get enough raw fear to forge the ring, no fear bug required. Hinon made the orange ring out of her own desires, no greed snake required. I'm sure there might be ways to make it more efficient to do so, as the Guardians have with the green light and rings, but they do have Ion on tap to aid with it.

This weaponeer seems more focused on results, rather then the spectical and faith side of her race, and as far as we know she didn't need the Butcher to make a Red ring on the Renegade side. She's got skills.

Hey, omake challenge for this fic. What do you think Batman's files say about OL at this point? I mean the emergency 'How to defeat/stop/kill' ones. I forgot the name Batman actually call them.

Wonder if Harrold will still get a Yellow Ring and Lantern. Parallax showing up was down to him as it seemed to be ignoring the signal until it had a host.

Use magic to teleport rings to inaccessible location.

If you can get around the spell-eaters and his tattoos? Yeah, Paul is hyper-focused on the artifacts that make him better than Just A Normal Human; that'd work. Then you just blow him up before he summons them back!

At least temporarily. His soul is the Ophidian's heart; barring qwa-matter, he'd go to the Honden or a clone. Meaning Batman can even use lethal force!

I mean, he won't, but he could. Safely!

If you can get around the spell-eaters and his tattoos? Yeah, Paul is hyper-focused on the artifacts that make him better than Just A Normal Human; that'd work. Then you just blow him up before he summons them back!

At least temporarily. His soul is the Ophidian's heart; barring qwa-matter, he'd go to the Honden or a clone. Meaning Batman can even use lethal force!

I mean, he won't, but he could. Safely!
Spell Eaters and Tattoo's only protect LePaul.

Last edited:
Fear Ourself (part 20)
20th January 2013
19:39 GMT

"…than you do me?"

"I am entity Volthoom. I do not care who wields me."

I can tell from Jade's body language that her eyes are narrowing inside her helmet.

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Volthoom, I'm hurt. All the years we've been together, and you abandon me for this… Woman."

"Correction. You abandoned me for a Weaponer."

"I was trying to become more deadly. For you."

"Lie detected. You were too weak to effectively use my power. You only want to use it for yourself."

"Did I come at a bad time?"

Lantern Harrolds stares at his ring. "No."

"Because if it's really annoying you, we can give you an orange one?"

His eyes slide towards me. "And your woman gets this?"

"Unless you've got a plan for it. I'm curious about how it works."

"Excuse me."

"I wouldn't complain about being referred to as 'your man'." Huh. "Actually, I'd quite like it. Ah, how was using it?"

"Difficult. Not as user friendly as the orange ring. And the voice is annoying. I don't think it's my kind of weapon."

"Tool. But, yeah, Harrolds? How long did it take you to get good with it?"

"Oh. Basic shields and beams and flying took… Three days? Actual constructs that do things took weeks. I ended up mostly training for strength. Simple, reliable stuff."

I nod, looking at Jade. "The Green Lantern version of you I met at Vanishing Point trained for years with Alan's ring before becoming a Sector Lantern. Green rings are… Hard."

"Your man's right." He smirks at me and I nod in gratitude. "Holding the images in your head… It's not a normal way of thinking about things."

"I'll bear that in mind. I think I prefer normal weapons."

Ah, darn. No point talking to Malvolio about that, then. I turn to Harrolds.

"How did you get it?"

"Found it in a shop." He shrugs. "Chinese knick-knack place. No one was using it. Don't think the owner knew what it was." He takes a slow breath. "So what happens now?"

"You're free to go. Unless you need a lift back to the anti-matter universe, in which case you can wait until I'm finished here."

"'Anti-matter'? But we're-?" He gets it. "Oh, right. Yeah, I don't think I could picture the transition clearly enough to do it myself."

"Right. Do you want to talk to Lord Malvolio before that?"

"I don't think we'd get on. Him and that other green Power Ring are powerful, but I've already got what I needed."

"Jade, I realise that this was a bit more exciting that I planned, and that you're due some downtime."

"Is there a 'but' coming?"

"Er… I'm going to try visiting New Genesis next. Should be peaceful and I'd appreciate the company, but I completely understand if you want to do something restful instead, and I know how high-stress events can impede judgement."

"Can you handle it?"

"The Justice League rescued a group of New Genesis children a while ago. And they know about me and the Ophidian. I should at least get a hearing, and Izaya's usually pretty even-tempered. Yes."

"Then I'm going back to Maltus and booking myself into a spa. Because you're right about judgement getting impaired."

I nod. "I'll see you there when I'm finished on New Genesis."

"That includes you."

"I… Not-. I can handle it better. Once Earth's safe again, I can… Take a breather."

"Until the next thing. You should still take someone with you."

"Yes, that had occurred to me. I'll see you later."

I step out

and reappear a little way from Malvolio, who is… Watching in the direction that Dennap left in.

"There's probably a lot that they could teach you."

"Power I have and skill I can learn. But they cannot allay my fears, and it seems that I cannot either."

"I don't know your mother, so I can't guess how she felt. You told me that it was a regrettable mistake."

"And I do regret it, and have done penance for it. But… My mother would not have… If she did not love him. And I killed him."

"Are you still a Christian?"

"It has been some time since my last communion, but aye, I am."

"Then you have repented the deed and you'll see them both in Heaven. If that's too long, necromancy remains an option. But if Parallax saying that has ruffled your feathers significantly, maybe you need to do something."

Malvolio floats in space for a moment, and then opens a burning green door in space

"I shall consider the matter. Fare thee well."

I nod as he leaves, and then-.

"Illustres!"

"Lantern Ragnar. Satisfied?"

He flies up to me, armour glowing.

"It was fun, but… Parallax did not challenge my will the way it did to you and Malvolio."

"You could head over to Oa, if you wanted. They might let you expose yourself to Parallax under controlled conditions. Or…" I fabricate a cylinder of fear chemical. "You could try this. It should work on your species, but I recommend using it without your ring on."

He takes it from me, smiling. "Thank you, Illustres. Where will you go now?"

"New Genesis. I need-. Oh. whoops."

20th January 2013
19:44 GMT

The great yellow demon could arrive at any moment, and the Illustres isn't here. I don't know what could have delayed him-.

I run through his mental exercises once more and check the position of the fleet around Sereaven. My home.

And I will die before I let him touch-.

My ring glimmers as the Illustres finally sends me a message, and I view it at once!

"Oh."

Last edited:
20th January 2013

The great yellow demon could arrive at any moment, and the Illustres isn't here. I don't know what could have delayed him-.

I run through his mental exercises once more and [colr=orange]check[/color] the position of the fleet around Sereaven. My home.

My ring glimmers as the Illustres finally sends me a message, and I view it at once!

"Oh."
Oh my god Paul.

20th January 2013
19:39 GMT

"…than you do me?"

"I am entity Volthoom. I do not care who wields me."
Ha! Harrolds went through all this, and Volthoom's decided he's not up to snuff? That's got to sting some. Still, it's not like Jade should just keep it. She doesn't really need it.

I can tell from Jade's body language that her eyes are narrowing inside her helmet.

"Really?"
See, clearly part of Jade's training involved Obscured Body Language 101. naturally very important given the typical League of Shadows operations uniform.

"Yes."

"Volthoom, I'm hurt. All the years we've been together, and you abandon me for this… Woman."
Oh, is the ring going to give him the 'It's not you, it's me' speech?

"Correction. You abandoned me for a Weaponer."

"I was trying to become more deadly. For you."
Seriously, this really sounds like they were dating. :D

"Lie detected. You were too weak to effectively use my power. You only want to use it for yourself"

"Did I come at a bad time?"
Got to wonder what Volthoom wants its power used for, then...

Lantern Harrolds stares at his ring. "No."

"Because if it's really annoying you, we can give you an orange one?"
Hopefully one with some special security settings, I hope...

His eyes slide towards me. "And your woman gets this?"

"Unless you've got a plan for it. I'm curious about how it works."
I, for one, wonder how much of the 'I am Entity Volthoom' is AI and how much is a trapped soul?

"Excuse me."

"I wouldn't complain about being referred to as 'your man'." Huh. "Actually, I'd quite like it. Ah, how was using it?"
Fair's fair, after all. Good for the goose, good for the gander.

"Difficult. Not as user friendly as the orange ring. And the voice is annoying. I don't think it's my kind of weapon."

"Tool. But, yeah, Harrolds? How long did it take you to get good with it?"
I mean, Jade did need weaponry more than she wanted tools...

"Oh. Basic shields and beams and flying took… Three days? Actual constructs that do things took weeks. I ended up mostly training for strength. Simple, reliable stuff."

I nod, looking at Jade. "The Green Lantern version of you I met at Vanishing Point trained for years with Alan's ring before becoming a Sector Lantern. Green rings are… Hard."
On the other hand, a master of a Green Ring is quite the skilled Ring-Slinger.

"Your man's right." He smirks at me and I nod in gratitude. "Holding the images in your head… It's not a normal way of thinking about things."

"I'll bare that in mind. I think I prefer normal weapons."
No need to worry about them dissolving if you get distracted, for one thing.

Ah, darn. No point talking to Malvolio about that, then. I turn to Harrolds.

"How did you get it?"
...Seriously, so many origins for Crime Syndicate Power Rings.

"Found it in a shop." He shrugs. "Chinese knick-knack place. No one was using it. Don't think the owner knew what it was." He takes a slow breath. "So what happens now?"

"You're free to go. Unless you need a lift back to the anti-matter universe, in which case you can wait until I'm finished here."
...Huh. That was lucky. Or fate. Still, I expect he's extra dependent on OL's help right now...

"'Anti-matter'? But we're-?" He gets it. "Oh, right. Yeah, I don't think I could picture the transition clearly enough to do it myself."

"Right. Do you want to talk to Lord Malvolio before that?"
...Now that would be an interesting conversation. But likely to see violence...

"I don't think we'd get on. Him and that other green Power Ring are powerful, but I've already got what I needed."

"Jade, I realise that this was a bit more exciting that I planned, and that you're due some downtime."
Oh, right, this was supposed to be a day off. OL and his busman's holidays.

"Is there a 'but' coming?"

"Er… I'm going to try visiting New Genesis next. Should be peaceful and I'd appreciate the company, but I completely understand if you want to do something restful instead, and I know how high-stress events can impede judgement."
...And there's also the matter of whether they'd allow him in.

"Can you handle it?"

"The Justice League rescued a group of New Genesis children a while ago. And they know about me and the Ophidian. I should at least get a hearing, and Izaya's usually pretty even-tempered. Yes."
...The opening moment of that visit is going to involve guns pointed at him, isn't it? Lots of guns? :D

"Then I'm going back to Maltus and booking myself into a spa. Because you're right about judgement getting impaired."

I nod. "I'll see you there when I'm finished on New Genesis."
Yeah, a little pampering will be good for her, I think.

"That includes you."

"I… Not-. I can handle it better. Once Earth's safe again, I can… Take a breather."
...Why do I get the feeling that sense of responsibility is going to lead him to make a critical mistake?

"Until the next thing. You should still take someone with you."

"Yes, that had occurred to me. I'll see you later."
I pity whoever gets that job.

I step out

and reappear a little way from Malvolio, who is… Watching in the direction that Dennap left in.
Curiosity? Wistful thoughts of what could have been if they'd allowed him to serve? Who knows?

"There's probably a lot that they could teach you."

"Power I have and skill I can learn. But they cannot allay my fears, and it seems that I cannot either."
Sadly, Guardians don't really deal well with anything that isn't Will. Too much of it flowing in their veins.

"I don't know your mother, so I can't guess how she felt. You told me that it was a regrettable mistake."

"And I do regret it, and have done penance for it. But… My mother would not have… If she did not love him. And I killed him."
There's probably a little embarrassment of having to think that way about his mother, too. You know, the whole 'oh god, my parents do the sex?' issue kids seems to find difficult to process...

"Are you still a Christian?"

"It has been some time since my last communion, but aye, I am."
...Man, imagine the face of the priest having to hear that confession...

"Then you have repented the deed and you'll see them both in Heaven. If that's too long, necromancy remains an option. But if Parallax saying that has ruffled your feathers significantly, maybe you need to do something."

Malvolio floats in space for a moment, and then opens a burning green door in space
He's got a lot to think about, I see.

"I shall consider the matter. Fare thee well."

I nod as he leaves, and then-.
Well, that was a pleasant farewell. On to the next.

"Illustres!"

"Lantern Ragnar. Satisfied?"

He flies up to me, armour glowing.
Bet he feels a little blue-balled about testing himself against his fear back there...

"It was fun, but… Parallax did not challenge my will the way it did to you and Malvolio."

"You could head over to Oa, if you wanted. They might let you expose yourself to Parallax under controlled conditions. Or…" I fabricate a cylinder of fear chemical. "You could try this. It should work on your species, but I recommend using it without your ring on."
...Careful, now. Don't want to get addicted to the rush. Just look at what happened to Dr Crane.

He takes it from me, smiling. "Thank you, Illustres. Where will you go now?"

"New Genesis. I need-. Oh. whoops."
...Now what, OL? What could you possibly have forgotten?

20th January 2013

Ah, right. This young Lantern.

I run through his mental exercises once more and check the position of the fleet around Sereaven. My home.

Well, look at you, all determined to keep your home safe...

"Oh."
...Yeah, that's got to be a little frustrating.

Still, better to be a little frustrated at a lack of action, than having to stand against a primal Emotional Entity. That would not end well for any rookie Lantern. At any rate, OL finally reaching out to the enemy of Mannheim's backer. How will New Genesis respond, I wonder? At least we can hope that Izaya isn't the New 52 Era arsehole...

"I'll bare that in mind. I think I prefer normal weapons."
"I'll bear that in mind. I think I prefer normal weapons."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back