• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

20th January 2013
21:18 GMT

"Guy!" I fly towards him as he finishes up repositioning Ungara's orbital mirror array. "Guy, I need your help with something!"

"Yeah?" He glances my way, then generates a construct model of the ecological affect of the mirrors to check his work. "With what?"
Heh, the Renegade going to the only Green lantern he's moderately close to. Sadly, they aren't quite as good buddies as the Paragon is. But what brings him here, I wonder?

"We need to teach a magical pony princess how to love again."

He both winces and smirks at the same time. "Hold on a sec. Lantern Gardner to Malo. I'm abowd done up here. You readin' okay?"
...And that sounds like an expression straight of the Mcgiffen/DeMatteis/Macguire era JLA Book or any of its sort-of revivals... :D

I don't hear the response, but from the way Guy's nodding I suspect that he's getting one. Could intercept it, but… No point.

"Okay… Great. Okay. Y'need me? Gimme a call. Otherwise I'll see yeh around."
Yeah, no need to tick him off before you get what you want from him, eh?

He lowers his ring and then turns to face me, smirk reappearing as he goes off the clock.

"Grayven, I'm glad that whole pony… Princess thing worked out-."
Honestly, you make it sound so... Childish.

"Magical pony princess."

"That… The magical pony princess thing worked out for yeh, but we don't all… S-swing that way!"
I can only imagine what the tabloids are saying about him after that came out... :oops:

He makes a sort of hiss-laugh, chuckling to himself.

I shrug. "She could do better."
Honestly, Luna doesn't have that many options, really...

He jazz hands. "Oooooooooh!"

"If fact she has, which is sort of the issue."
...Oh, you mean Sunbutt Celestia.

He nods. "Time-expired, huh?"

"Oddly, no. He's indefinitely prolonged as well. Rather, he beat a couple of villains by absorbing all of their evil in them into himself, and flipped out as a result."
Ah, King Sombra. So, the main timeline version also had a thing with Celestia, then. Or are they really going to pull some alternate-reality stuff and rescue the 'good' version from Reflections? :confused:

"Uh. Okay, yeah, that's-. Heh. That's a big more… I mean, I ain't sure fixin' superpony's love life is really my job or nothin'-."

"But you've been trying to come up with a halfway plausible reason to visit Wilson for months."
...Oh, realllly? :sneaky: Honestly, Guy, there's no shame in having an interest in that sort of thing.

"Fuck off."

"Everyone wants ponies. Ask the internet. You would not believe how many 'artistic impressions' there are of-"
Oh, god, yes. The OCs... So many OCs... And 'Ponified' characters... And OC versions of said Ponified characters...

"No no no."

"-her and I-."
...What, you haven't looked that sort of thing up, Guy?

A construct hand clamps around my mouth.

"What'd'yah need?"
That's more like it. Sooner you agree to whatever it is he wants, the sooner he'll go away. :p

"Well, we need something that can purge a giant ball of elemental evil."

"You tellin' me that magic ponies don't got somethin' like that?"
Well... Slight issue with that.

"Then did, then they stuck it on a magical crystal tree to act as a magical weed killer, so now they're kind of stuck."

"Can't they just take it off'f the tree?"
It's not like a Power Ring collection, you know...

"You'd think, but apparently not. I think it's a religious.. thing..? Point is, I think we can go Captain Planet on it by combining the power of our rings."

"Captain Planet."
But of course! Heck, his team even uses Power Rings, of a sort...

I blink. "Don't tell me you didn't watch Captain Planet."

"I'm pretty sure the Guardians woulda said somethin' if there was a 'Captain Power Ring'."
Not if it would result in all hell breaking loose, which it does. Prophecies and all that.

"I'm not saying that there's a literal Captain Power Ring, though there is, I'm saying that we can use Captain Power Ring's power to do things we couldn't do on our own."

"That sounds like bullcrap."
But not inaccurate.

"Horse apples."

"… What?"
I see Equestria's language has been rubbing off on the Renegade.

"No, they actually say things like that. 'A giant pile of bucking horse apples', for example, would-."

"Really? That's…" He grins despite himself. "That's like the cutsyest, girliest thing every."
Blame the cosmic equivalent of Broadcast Standards and Practices.

"Whatever you need to tell yourself."

"A'ight, a'ight, so if we're doin' this 'Captain Planet' thing, what'd'we need?"
That's it, Guy. Embrace the madness... I wonder how he looks as a Pony...

"Seven different colours of power ring. Now, I've got yellow, obviously, and I can get hold of Dox to get another Orange Lantern assigned. I can probably get Talbot to volunteer as the Red. You're green and Ghia'ta is violet, so that leaves blue and indigo. And someone to use them."

"You know anyone who can make power rings?"
...Probably best to Boom Tube them to Wilson. I don't know what Starswirl's Mirror would to to a part-Zamaron or whoever Dox sends.

"Yes, but… Ah… One of them's the student of the guy who made Sinestro's ring, and they needed to murder an entire… Planet… To do that."

His grin fades. "What?"
Ah, and light dawns over marblehead. You never did ask...

"I… Just realised that I never asked Weaponer Lysis how she made her red ring. Huh."

"That's the problem with workin' with evil people, Gray. Sometimes, they do evil stuff."
...To be fair, the Renegade has done some nasty things, but nothing on that scale.

"Yeah. Yeah, you're right." I mean, it's not like it was a planet that I was using, but I should probably check that with her at some point just to make sure that it doesn't bite us in the haunches later. "But I can't really do anything about that now."

"That's not actually true. She's sittin' right next t', like, half the Orange Lantern Corps."
...He doesn't even realise he used the word 'Haunches', does he?

"I mean, I can't stop her doing something she's already done. I can't punish her for things she did before she made a contract with me, that would be unreasonable."

"She kills a planet, an' that's fine, but you don't wanna get in trouble with HR?"
...Dude, have you ever tried messing with a Corps' HR? Scary stuff, man!

"It's not fine, if it happened, it's just outside of my jurisdiction. Look, do you think you could get hold of Ganthet for me?"

"I-. I mean, yeah, but that whole 'Lysis killed a planet' thing kinda killed the mood."
Not even if you remind yourself it's for a Magical Pony Princess? :p

"Oh, I don't know that she did that. She might just have snuck onto Ysmault or something. Or have been paying attention when someone else killed a planet; it's not like qwardians are shy about killing people. Look, Wilson really doesn't need Princess Celestia losing herself to ennui-" Said it right that time. "-and you'll learn some very interesting things about power rings. I think it's worth doing anyway."

He's clearly not happy about it.
Huh. Seems like you're not the only one who's been mispronouncing it... o_O I've always though it was en-wee...

"Look, do you want to be there when I talk to her about it? Because-."

"Yeah. Just a little worried 'bowd what happens if I wanna take 'er in."
Just don't seem too official about it, or she might get defensive.

"Let's… Let's hope it doesn't come to that."

"Yeah. What yeh wanna talk to Ganthet 'bowd?"
I'm sure there are a few things, but...

"His blue ring prototype. Obviously, we need to borrow it."

"Ganthet's got a…" He frowns curiously. "How'd you know that?"
...Hmm. I wonder if that'll give him the kick in the arse he probably needs to work on his own Blue Lantern Corps

"Little birdy told me. I do meet with the Controllers on a semi-regular basis, and quite a lot of them used to be Guardians. Tell him we can give it a field test."

Al… Right. I c'n do that. What about indigo?"

"For that, we're going to need Lantern Jordan, and the ring he got from Abin Sur."
'A Little Birdy'? :rolleyes: Ow. Truly, he has become a master of the Dad Joke. Even ones other people don't notice.

Huh. An interesting bit of Narrative Synchronicity there. Though the Renegade does have a slight headstart in the collection process, between his alternate universe Yellow Ring and his access to Red Rings. On the other hand, he has a lot more work to do towards the 'cool' end of the Spectrum, between Blue and Indigo. It'll be curious to see how it all plays out...

"If fact she has, which is sort of the issue."
"In fact she has, which is sort of the issue."
"Then did, then they stuck it on a magical crystal tree...
"They did, then they stuck it on a magical crystal tree...

Last edited:
First, is the Renegade lying about hearing about Ganthet's blue ring prototype from the Controllers? Second, how is he going to explain what he knows about the Indigo Tribe? Also, I find it a bit funny that it seems like the Renegade is able to get a power ring for each color easier than Paul.
Technically, he didn't actually say where he heard it from.

Captain Planet."

I blink. "Don't tell me you didn't watch Captain Planet."
"It's a WB property. We're not allowed to reference any of those outside of DC comics."

"R-really?"

"The lawyers insisted. Ask the Ventures about "Action Jonny" sometime."

"What if I had said Care Bare st-"

"Shhh! Don't wanna piss off The Mouse."

Last edited:
Thinking about it, I don't think we've read much about people having seen Grayven-Paul after he was purged from his fragment of the Anti-Life equation.

He's seems much more agreeable, amicable, and is more willing to think about how his actions affect others.

If anything, people might rightfully assume that Luna was a good influence on him.

Have Luna and Celestia met Scott Free and Big Barda yet? It would be nice for the future in-laws to get to know each other.

"It's a WB property. We're not allowed to reference any of those outside of DC comics."

"R-really?"

Seriously. do not mess with the Mouse. Micky has the Infinity Gauntlet, the Cosmic Cube, can use the Force AND he is a Sorcerer Complete with pointy hat.

Honestly I'm not quite sure why Gravy thinks the White Light would do anything about purging magical corruption.

It's the energy of life, not goodness.

Why not just use the Indigo light? Rehabilitating evil people with compassion is their entire business model.

Honestly I'm not quite sure why Gravy thinks the White Light would do anything about purging magical corruption.

Why not just use the Indigo light? Rehabilitating evil people with compassion is their entire business model.
Two excellent points.

That said, it will work even though it logically shouldn't because Author.

this is gonna end up some dimensional wall breaking bucking horse apples.

Or a paragon/renegade fusion.

Whatever happens, it's gonna be a great success or a great steming pile....of apples.

absorbed evils+anti_life=something something

I think that should say 'bit'.
Thank you, corrected.
Not surprised there's stuff like that online in-universe, though I am a little surprised that Guy's surprised. Does he not know about all the Rule 34 stuff about him and the Justice League online?
Not really. Guy has a life, and meets actual women.
First, is the Renegade lying about hearing about Ganthet's blue ring prototype from the Controllers?
No, he's strongly implying it. Yes.
Second, how is he going to explain what he knows about the Indigo Tribe?
"I'm a god." "Such intoxicating innocence."
Also, I find it a bit funny that it seems like the Renegade is able to get a power ring for each color easier than Paul.
He hasn't gotten them yet.

It's kind of like Battlefleet Gothin II. For the Imperium, Abaddon's fleet is the end boss. For the Necrons, he's just some guy who turns up while they're fighting someone else.
"In fact she has, which is sort of the issue."
"They did, then they stuck it on a magical crystal tree...
"That's like the cutsyest, girliest thing every."
Thank you, corrected.
'A Little Birdy'? :rolleyes: Ow. Truly, he has become a master of the Dad Joke. Even ones other people don't notice.
Even I didn't notice.
Today I learned that I have been pronouncing that wrong for over 20 years and no one ever called me in it. I also learned that Google has a button to pronounce words for you, that I'll be abusing regularly from now on.
"Hey Zoat, do you think your fic. is educational?"
"Yeah, it makes people want to go and read a book!"

And if all that fails, you've just gone and pissed off Minnie.
That doesn't seem to link anywhere useful.
No, it's enslaving bad people. Not a single Indigo has been fully rehabilitated.
That just means they are doing it wrong. Regardless, enslaving bad people would also be a successful business model across many planets.
Knowing nothing about New Gods beyond what has shown up in this quest, I can only hope that Orion's Mother Box, already helping him with his rage, will help him with his Red Ring. As Zoat said, Rage Enlightenment doesn't necessarily mean not going on a rampage, just that he wouldn't be in conflict with his own rage anymore.

Rage enlightenment would mean that the rampage is targeted at the actual culprits of his ire though. It means knowing why he is angry and not lashing out at unrelated minor irritants.

effect (except if he's modeling the demeanor of the mirrors or something).

I have been expecting some kind of crossover between Paragon and Renegade for years now. I know Mr. Zoat has said they'll never meet, but I've always suspected that they'll trade places for a bit and have to deal with each other's bullshit.

Guess I'll see if I'm right. 'Cause this will be the perfect time to do it.

I used to really like the Grayven sections, and I think the Summer's End arc was one of the better arcs in the entire story. But now it seems like his continuity has doubled and tripled down on the pony stuff, and I find myself not that interested. I didn't mind it every once in a while, but when was the last time Grayven appeared and the chapter wasn't about ponies and their (honestly usually low stakes and interpersonal) problems? You'd think that "Earth gets dominated by Ani-Life - Renegade Option" would have a lot of possibilities, but...

"Everyone wants ponies. Ask the internet

No, you don't want to open that can if cancerous worms.

You would not believe how many 'artistic impressions' there are of-"

"No no no."

"-her and I-."

And Guy has just got some new nightmares.

A construct hand clamps around my mouth

Thank you Lantern Gardner.

"I… Just realised that I never asked Weaponer Lysis how she made her red ring. Huh

Well shit.

Granted she could have potentially used her own rage.

That's the problem with workin' with evil people, Gray. Sometimes, they do evil stuff

True.

"I mean, I can't stop her doing something she's already done. I can't punish her for things she did before she made a contract with me, that would be unreasonable

Yes, you can punish her.

"I-. I mean, yeah, but that whole 'Lysis killed a planet' thing kinda killed the mood

And Ganthet may not be interested in cooperating with you.

Probably best to Boom Tube them to Wilson. I don't know what Starswirl's Mirror would to to a part-Zamaron or whoever Dox sends.

I imagine a Maltusian would become something like an Alicorn

Granted, given that the only ones that have gone through the mirror are either ponies or ascendant humans it may be possiblethat they'll be drastically different.

To be fair, the Renegade has done some nasty things, but nothing on that scale.

I think he wiped out the Citadel, so it kinda counts.

Grayven no longer has an Orange Ring? I never noticed. I thought the boy was still dual wielding two colors.

I used to really like the Grayven sections, and I think the Summer's End arc was one of the better arcs in the entire story. But now it seems like his continuity has doubled and tripled down on the pony stuff, and I find myself not that interested. I didn't mind it every once in a while, but when was the last time Grayven appeared and the chapter wasn't about ponies and their (honestly usually low stakes and interpersonal) problems? You'd think that "Earth gets dominated by Ani-Life - Renegade Option" would have a lot of possibilities, but...
I agree, to me it feels like a comedy episode that became the whole season's plotline. I was amused and moderately entertained at the beginning but now I'm just bored with it.

Hell, my favorite parts nowadays are the shifts into OWB but that's more my own fault then the author's.

"R-really?"

Welp, you're just in time to share in the insanity I have recently discovered with WB Crossovers

I'm so very sorry

Because, without the Elements, he used the Spectrum to harness Equestria's Harmony Field and cleanse the anti life.

I can't believe that I'm arguing FOR the ponies. I mean, I have nothing against the show, but I have had issues with the fandom. So, yeah.

I agree, to me it feels like a comedy episode that became the whole season's plotline. I was amused and moderately entertained at the beginning but now I'm just bored with it.

Hell, my favorite parts nowadays are the shifts into OWB but that's more my own fault then the author's.

It is very disappointing because for a while the Renegade side got very entertaining. We got to see him create a parallel structure to the League and be an anti-hero in contrast to them. There was the whole Day in the Life chapter where we got to see Light 2.0 and even an ongoing plot that was interesting. Haven't heard from that in a while. Or more from the DEO or whatever it got called.

It was interesting in the initial arc where Harmony and the Emotional Spectrum had stuff, but now it is mostly just dull when there was more interesting threads with the Light or the League.

Also not a lot from Earth 50 in a while, I felt there was more potential there given his multiple connections to it. Plus the dynamic with Kara In-Ze was far more interesting than Luna.

I had forgotten about this.

It's also somehow even less RWBY canon compliant than I thought it would be, even excluding the crossover part. Like, half what's going on in that trailer is stuff Volume 1-3 RWBY & JNPR shouldn't be able to deal with* (baring Ruby's special eyes she can't control), and the outfits absolutely are from that period, so either it takes place at the very end of Volume 3 at the transition period between it and 4 or they got a power boost from somewhere.

Placing it in the interim between them doesn't really make much sense though because Blake isn't having Sad Grl hoursTM ​on a boat/other continent, Weiss isn't in the fucking north pole getting emotionally abused by The Chief Executive Asshole of her family's company, and Yang isn't disabled. I didn't see Pyrrha though, so still RIP bozo I guess?

And why the hell is Bruce a Faunus? That barely even counts as a gag, he's just a literal Batman now which is basically the whole point of Manbat.

*Unless they're going with basically the most OG understanding of character skill and power the show ever had instead of whatever they're doing now, which would actually be pretty cool because by all that is holy Weiss (and most of them really) needs a fucking W.

Unhinged comments about RWBY canon over now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back