• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Yet people still do it. It seems this is another Brexit problem. Why hunt deer in the UK were is cheaper and or easier somewhere else?

Go to hunt boar pigs in La Patagonia and also enjoy the view. Do some tourism, is really cheap thanks to the super inflation there.

Yes,despite the inflation being higher that Venezuela they insist in not calling it Hyper Inflation.

Roswaul using his Ring to access an internet site to learn the right movements, I guess.

It's amazing at the differences in 'accents' when it comes to gestural languages.

True, but not relevant. BSL is completely unrelated to ASL; ASL descends from French Sign and there isn't enough contact for them to borrow vocabulary back and forth. They don't even share the alphabet for fingerspelling - BSL uses a two-handed system for letters and ASL a one-handed system which is basically identical to the French fingerspelling.

Gestural languages are currently in the same regional dialect state that spoken languages were in before the advent of widespread literacy; there's no real reason for most people to bother with anything other than their local dialect.

I completely forgot about the Roswell conspiracy show, thanks for the return of nostalgia!

True, but not relevant. BSL is completely unrelated to ASL; ASL descends from French Sign and there isn't enough contact for them to borrow vocabulary back and forth. They don't even share the alphabet for fingerspelling - BSL uses a two-handed system for letters and ASL a one-handed system which is basically identical to the French fingerspelling.

Gestural languages are currently in the same regional dialect state that spoken languages were in before the advent of widespread literacy; there's no real reason for most people to bother with anything other than their local dialect.
I stand corrected. I'll fix that up.

Would you believe that for the first chapter or so of the alien conspiracies plotline I was thinking it might be from that supergirl television series where the only supers are aliens.

Would you believe that for the first chapter or so of the alien conspiracies plotline I was thinking it might be from that supergirl television series where the only supers are aliens.
Man, I would have loved to have replaced the entire writing staff on that series with me. Get rid of the dull Kara we got and replace her with a full on John Byrne culture kryptonian with no interest in human social relationships or being a superhero. Bring her into the DEO after years apart from the people who were supposed to be her adoptive family because they need her maths and science knowledge. Have her gradually defrost over a series or two.

So I just had a terrifying thought: where is dr. Sivana (the first short one)?

If nothing else, they could all (the Sivana's) head off planet to their off-world habitat. They likely won't, but they could.

While the brief lesson in sign language is interesting I still have no clue why GK-Paul is pretending to be mute.
Imagine how much he can find out and get done acting as The Green Knight by day and your drinking 'buddy' by night whom you bitch about your failed plots to.

Home Field (part 10)
6th February 2013
13:22 GMT -5

"Name?"

After the truck stopped we were herded out into what looks like another warehouse. Over on one side there was a mountain of crates, labelled with the same food brands as Mistress's gang was serving. In the bit we're in there're a bunch of cheap partitions and cheap desks, and if the others are getting the same treatment as me then…

We're getting job interviews.

"Carver Malone."

"Education?"

"I was in High School."

The man doing the interview glares at me. "I've been 'in' a bank vault. Doesn't mean I'm a banker."

That doesn't-. Oh. Right. These guys aren't actual recruitment people. These are people who got on the wrong side of the boss, and know it, and are doing the minimum they have to so they avoid getting on his wronger side.

Or her. I mean, it's usually not, but I've been tied up by Poison Ivy before.

"Well, what exactly do you want to know? I got good grades, but I'm a sophomore. And school kinda got shut down when-."

"Can you read and do basic math?"

"Yeah?"

"Fine. Do you have any long term medical issues?"

"No?"

"What, you don't know?"

"No, I don't have any long term medical problems."

"Or allergies or whatever."

"No, no allergies."

"Immunisation injections?"

Working with Batman means that I've been exposed to some really interesting micro-organisms. I actually had to opt out of the school program because it would conflict with something else I had. I'm more than up to date now, but at the time I got people asking if I was afraid of the mercury.

"I've had them."

He's working through a checklist with no idea why. What kind of organisation has a way to open portals to parallel universes and then doesn't pay attention to what they got out?

"Any job training?"

"I used to be a circus acrobat."

He drops his tablet on the table between us. "If you don't take this seriously, we'll dump you in meat processing."

"No. Seriously. My family were the trapeze act. Do you want me to demonstrate?" I make a point of looking at the ceiling. "Doesn't look like you've got one set up."

"Ah. Okay, I guess. Not heard that one before. Any other skills?"

"I used to have a paper route in Blüdhaven."

"We don't need a paperboy."

"Blüdhaven used to narrowly lose to Hub City as murder capital of America. Then the Sheeda killed everyone in Hub City so there's no more competition. My paper round took me through the territory of five different gangs. I saw one to two shootouts per day."

It was for a case. And okay, I didn't keep it up for long. But it was an eye-opener.

"Rough neighborhood. Could be useful. Okay, last thing. Do you have superpowers?"

If we were infiltrating this place for a long time, I'd say 'no' and keep them as an ace in the hole. But we still need to get back and work out what Mannheim wants with Mistress. So, it looks like honesty is the best policy.

"Yes."

"Being circus-folk is not a superpower."

"No, but super strength is. Right?"

He frowns, leaning away slightly. "You're super strong? Like, tear-through-steel super strong?"

"I haven't ever tried tearing steel, but I can bend it pretty easily."

He glances out of the booth, off into the distance. I can't see anyone for him to be looking at, but I guess his supervisor is over that way.

I smile. "Want me to break something?"

"Okay, kid? That sounds great, but if you're shitting me we're both in the shit. You understand me?"

"Yeah, no problem. It's not like I'm saying I'm psychic or something, right? Strength is easy to test."

"I suppose. Okay." He stands up. "Get up. Follow me."

He leads the way across the warehouse, and I get a momentary glance at Artemis and Mitchell going through the same thing. We're heading for the exit, and he nods at the door guards before leading me to the back of the lot. Not much around. Looks like… An abandoned airfield, so that's a hangar and not a warehouse. Easier to fly things in, I guess. He leads me over to a pile of packing crates, piled up haphazardly out of the way after they took out whatever used to be inside.

"Break them up."

I walk up to the closest and pick it up. "You know this isn't hard wood, right?"

"I just need to check you're not completely full of shit. My boss can work out how strong you really are."

I shrug and close my hands into fists, the wood splintering and cracking as my fingers move through it with no real effort. "Like that?"

"Yeah, but try and make it look impressive. It's my boss and his boss you got to convince."

"And… Then what?"

"Then you get a decent job instead of whatever they got the rest of you people doing. And I get a finders fee."

"Who's your boss?"

"His name's Jimmy. Jimmy Dawes. It's his call whether you're worth his boss's time. And she's the one who you gotta impress. So make sure it looks good."

I pick up a crate, toss it into the air and then jump up and bicycle kick it into the ground! My foot basically goes through it, bits of wood exploding outwards in all directions!

I land in a crouch, looking at my interviewer.

"That okay?"

"I dunno. You said it wasn't strong wood."

I shrug, pick up the next with my left hand and then punch my right fist through it.

"Yeah, that should be okay. Come back inside and I'll talk to Jimmy."

Last edited:
6th February 2013
13:22 GMT -5

"Name?"

After the truck stopped we were herded out into what looks like another warehouse. Over on one side there was a mountain of crates, labelled with the same food brands as Mistress's gang was serving. In the bit we're in there're a bunch of cheap partitions and cheap desks, and if the others are getting the same treatment as me then…
Oh, joy. Group job interviews. Though presumably they're partitioned out to ensure groups can't collude. Though I doubt the qualifications are going to be too stringent. Hell, Dick's technically overqualified for most things.

We're getting job interviews.

"Carver Malone."
Son of 'Matches' Malone, eh? Nice to see a family tradition continuing. Wonder if Talia's ever used the Malone name yet.

"Education?"

"I was in High School."
I'd comment on American high school curriculums, but...

The man doing the interview glares at me. "I've been 'in' a bank vault. Doesn't mean I'm a banker."

That doesn't-. Oh. Right. These guys aren't actual recruitment people. These are people who got on the wrong side of the boss, and know it, and are doing the minimum they have to so they avoid getting on his wronger side.
...This guy made the point just as well for me. :D As for staffing, I guess they have to take whatever they can get, eh?

Or her. I mean, it's usually not, but I've been tied up by Poison Ivy before.

"Well, what exactly do you want to know? I got good grades, but I'm a sophomore. And school kinda got shut down when-."
...Some young men would probably like to be tied up by Poison Ivy... Until they actually are, then the screaming begins. :p

"Can you read and do basic math?"

"Yeah?"
I suspect they're not looking for rocket scientists here. So you're good.

"Fine. Do you have any long term medical issues?"

"No?"
...Danner enhancements might make surgery tough to perform on him.

"What, you don't know?"

"No, I don't have any long term medical problems."
Although a Danner Enhancile wouldn't likely need surgery for all but the most severe injuries anyway.

"Or allergies or whatever."

"No, no allergies."
Could be awkward. Then again, it's also not uncommon to have an allergy you've never triggered, or develop one as you age.

"Immunisation injections?"

Working with Batman means that I've been exposed to some really interesting micro-organisms. I actually had to opt out of the school program because it would conflict with something else I had. I'm more than up to date now, but at the time I got people asking if I was afraid of the mercury.
...Do I want to know why mercury would be involved in an immunisation injection? :confused:

He's working through a checklist with no idea why. What kind of organisation has a way to open portals to parallel universes and then doesn't pay attention to what they got out?"

"Any job training?"
An organisation that doesn't really have any options for who they recruit on the local end, Robin...

"I used to be a circus acrobat."

He drops his tablet on the table between us. "If you don't take this seriously, we'll dump you in meat processing."
Do you mean as part of the staff, or as part of the product?

"No. Seriously. My family were the trapeze act. Do you want me to demonstrate?" I make a point of looking at the ceiling. "Doesn't look like you've got one set up."

"Ah. Okay, I guess. Not heard that one before. Any other skills?"
I suppose not many locals remember the Flying Graysons, and if this guy isn't local...

"I used to have a paper round in Blüdhaven."

"We don't need a paperboy."
Bitch, have you not played the video game? And in Blüdhaven? :eek: Holy shit, was this before or after Robin was bullet resistant?

"Blüdhaven used to narrowly loses to Hub City as murder capital of America. Then the Sheeda killed everyone in Hub City so there's no more competition. My paper round took me through the territory of five different gangs. I saw one to two shootouts per day."

It was for a case. And okay, I didn't keep it up for long. But it was an eye-opener.
...I'm guessing the delivery services have a high rate of turnover...

"Rough neighborhood. Could be useful. Okay, last thing. Do you have superpowers?"

If we were infiltrating this place for a long time, I'd say 'no' and keep them as an ace in the hole. But we still need to get back and work out what Mannheim wants with Mistress. So, it looks like honesty is the best policy.
And superpowers may be a bonus for these people.

"Yes."

"Being circus-folk is not a superpower."
I mean, better-than-average agility... But no, that's not what he means.

"No, but super strength is. Right?"

He frowns, leaning away slightly. "You're super strong? Like, tear-through-steel super strong?"
Since there are different grades of superstrength. People who take part in 'World's Strongest' competitions could technically qualify as a low-grade superhuman.

"I haven't ever tried tearing steel, but I can bend it pretty easily."

He glances out of the booth, off into the distance. I can't see anyone for him to be looking at, but I guess his supervisor is over that way.
Trying to decide whether to buy the story or pass the buck, I bet.

I smile. "Want me to break something?"

"Okay, kid? That sounds great, but if you're shitting me we're both in the shit. You understand me?"
And given how tall Dick is compared to you, I assume, he's going to be deeper.

"Yeah, no problem. It's not like I'm saying I'm psychic or something, right? Strength is easy to test."

"I suppose. Okay." He stands up. "Get up. Follow me."
True, demonstrating psychic powers might be a bit hard to manage, especially if they're not flashy (like psychokinesis) or projective (like telepathy...)

He leads the way across the warehouse, and I get a momentary glance at Artemis and Mitchell going through the same thing. We're heading for the exit, and he nods at the door guards before leading me to the back of the lot. Not much around. Looks like… An abandoned airfield, so that's a hangar and not a warehouse. Easier to fly things in, I guess. He leads me over to a pile of packing crates, piled up haphazardly out of the way after they took out whatever used to be inside.
Ah, the kind of thing Robin could have broken before he got buffed.

"Break them up."

I walk up to the closest and pick it up. "You know this isn't hard wood, right?"
Best to leave some stuff intact. No doubt other folks get the same run-down f they claim to have superstrength.

"I just need to check you're not completely full of shit. My boss can work out how strong you really are."

I shrug and close my hands into fists, the wood splintering and cracking as my fingers move through it with no real effort. "Like that?"
That sounds just a little worrying. What's the likelihood that his 'boss' has an actual power-sensing ability?

"Yeah, but try and make it look impressive. It's my boss and his boss you got to convince."

"And… Then what?"
Ah. Just put on a good show. That's something Dick understands easy.

"Then you get a decent job instead of whatever they got the rest of you people doing. And I get a finders fee."

"Who's your boss?"
Heh. So there's a little sumthin'-sumthin' in it for this guy. Of course. No wonder he's being so sceptical.

"His name's Jimmy. Jimmy Dawes. It's his call whether you're worth his boss's time. And she's the one who you gotta impress. So make sure it looks good."

I pick up a crate, toss it into the air and the jump up and bicycle kick it into the ground! My foot basically goes through it, bits of wood exploding outwards in all directions!
The question is, is that a local guy Robin would recognise, or an out-of-towner? Because 'she' is almost certainly Mistress...

I land in a crouch, looking at my interviewer.

"That okay?"

"I dunno. You said it wasn't strong wood."
...Do you want a plank where the sun don't shine? It can join the stick already up there. :p

I shrug, pick up the next with my left hand and then punch my right fist through it.

"Yeah, that should be okay. Come back inside and I'll talk to Jimmy."
Well, nicely done. Let's hope Jimmy is as easily impressed.

Interesting that the interviewer actually asked about superpowers. I mean, given what planet this is, it's not entirely unreasonable that some random kid might be empowered. Guess the boss has an expectation that someone would be trying to get into their organisation at the ground floor. Wonder if Mistress will greet him as 'Robin' if they meet. :cool:

Son of 'Matches' Malone, eh? Nice to see a family tradition continuing. Wonder if Talia's ever used the Malone name yet.

I can't help but imagine her with a stereotypical New Jersey accent.

...Some young men would probably like to be tied up by Poison Ivy... Until they actually are, then the screaming begins. :p

And no the funn type of screaming.

Although a Danner Enhancile wouldn't likely need surgery for all but the most severe injuries anyway.

Unless it's an infection that needs surgery.

Could be awkward. Then again, it's also not uncommon to have an allergy you've never triggered, or develop one as you age.

You can eat drink smell and cover yourself in something for years without trouble and then one day you so much as get close to it and you can die.

...Do I want to know why mercury would be involved in an immunisation injection? :confused:

I think they thought he believed in some anti-vaccine conspiracies like that they have mercury in them.

...I'm guessing the delivery services have a high rate of turnover...

Or they're some of the most badass teens in the city.

I remember an episode of Leverage where the team had to potentially fight a guy called the Butcher of Kiev and they were terrified of him.

One of them even said that the Cake Maker of Kiev could kill them all.

I had been wondering what possible plan they could have for returning to Earth 16. It didn't occur to me that they could get get a foothold in the organization by revealing their powers.

No, that's correct. One of the more deranged claims from anti-vaxxers (that it, people who believe that the process of vaccination is inherently bad, not people who are against a particular vaccination for efficacy reasons) is that they contain mercury.
Thank you, corrected.
Organic spacecraft may be an option in the setting, if the entry on the aliens wiki is accurate. 'Long range teleportation' may be their FTL drive, though.
We see them teleport. I don't remember seeing them fly FTL.
That should say 'lose'.
Thank you, corrected.

"Would it help if I phoned Misses Masters and told her this?"
'Missus'?
!Lie!

"I'm.. not completely sure. I think those beams I used on the tanks were a bit overpowered, and I may have used some to try to keep my memories in one piece. The only reason haven't tried to use the ring to reassemble them now is that I've no idea how much power that would take."
'reason I haven't tried'

I assumed that they reached Earth through long ranged teleportation.

That's certainly possible.

Well, darn. I try writing things that people will hate. I'll just have to try harder in future.

My apologies if I offended - I was (apparently clumsily) attempting to be complimentary. I'm impressed that you're actually trying to fill the five-year time gap between seasons, and haven't given up on the fic altogether yet through the sheer amount of work - both in front of you and yet to come.

Man, I would have loved to have replaced the entire writing staff on that series with me. Get rid of the dull Kara we got and replace her with a full on John Byrne culture kryptonian with no interest in human social relationships or being a superhero. Bring her into the DEO after years apart from the people who were supposed to be her adoptive family because they need her maths and science knowledge. Have her gradually defrost over a series or two.

Might've been somewhat less believable from a Kara at age 28 than the comics' 16 - 18 - but I agree that you would've undoubtedly been a significant improvement over the writers the show actually had (a very low bar to clear, I know, but still . . .). :)

Organic spacecraft may be an option in the setting, if the entry on the aliens wiki is accurate. 'Long range teleportation' may be their FTL drive, though.

Huh - that would make sense.

"I used to have a paper round in Blüdhaven."

That's the British term, I assume - in North America, it's a a paper route

My apologies if I offended - I was (apparently clumsily) attempting to be complimentary. I'm impressed that you're actually trying to fill the five-year time gap between seasons, and haven't given up on the fic altogether yet through the sheer amount of work - both in front of you and yet to come.
It was a joke. Obviously I don't want people to hate my work.

I also think that Vault Dwelling for Sanity and Profit is well worth a read and would appreciate being told if it was ever continued anywhere else.
Might've been somewhat less believable from a Kara at age 28 than the comics' 16 - 18 - but I agree that you would've undoubtedly been a significant improvement over the writers the show actually had (a very low bar to clear, I know, but still . . .).
I was going with the program's desire to have her come to Earth as a child, because without that there's no reason for her to have a 'human family' at all.
That's the British term, I assume - in North America, it's a a paper route
Thank you, corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back