• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Well...China having multiple nuclear reactor meltdowns is sadly expected, as is the power grid being in the dump.

I know the story covered a much more obscure, but much worse meltdown site than Chernobyl but I can't remember it's name.

Look on the bright side? Maybe OL can convince the governent to switch to eco-friendly and renewables rather than stick to coal power during the rebuilding? They're rebuilding the entire government and infrastructure so why not optimize it.

China gets most of its power from coal and most of the rest from nuclear. Supplies are messed up, so nuclear.

I notice the burned bodies around me, bleeding from dozens of places across their bodies. Ring?

Gamma radiation levels highly above safe levels.

Oh dear.
Ah great, what has that Walmart version of Iron Man and Captain Atom combo have done now.

So is he ever going to try and contact Hinon to find out what was up with the whole cutting contact thing?

18th February 2013
21:21 GMT +8

Under normal conditions, the Justice League has access to just about all policing data on the planet.

There are exceptions.
And not just some nations trying to keep foreign intrusion out of their business, I suppose? Some of the more... Belligerent dictatorships probably have long had issues with super-powered people flying around, especially Americans playing World Police. :p At least in their eyes.

Plenty of countries just don't have the ability to collate and upload reports daily. Not enough computers, not enough bandwidth or not enough trained people. Plenty of rural places in poorer countries can't really do it at all, and if we want to know what crimes are like there we'd have to wait until someone physically carries an annual summary to the nearest town or city. The Justice League's charter allows League members to turn up at a police station and demand to see their written records, but even Batman hasn't ever made that anyone's job unless there's an actual mission-related need for it.
Just not enough of them to have wasting time on that sort of thing, eh? Surprised they never assembled a more complete support group for the League than whatever managed the Hall of Justice. It's not like they couldn't afford it.

And then there are places we're pretty sure lie on their reports, and intelligence agencies sharing what they know it a sometimes-thing.

Right now? Sweet Fanny Adams. We have no idea what's happening across 99.9% of the planet. And that's with Mr. Atom and Rocket Red stealing control of all surviving spy satellites.
At least said satellites are being put to better use than they were originally built for.

Reminds me of The Boys, where Hughie gets excited about Billy working for the CIA only to swiftly be disabused of the notion that they actually run anything. 'Not on their best day could those idiots run the world', I believe was his response.

The Justice League is very good at bringing overwhelming power to bear on a single point. But twenty people, however powerful, can't replace the police of every country on Earth.
On the other hand, OL's seen a few where they or groups like them have supporting agencies... Perhaps it's time Earth Sixteen takes that step too.

Which is why I'm floating over Jinan, China, following Mr. Atom's disaster assessment formula.

Nothing big is on fire. There are a few bonfires, but it's pretty chilly her this time of year and electricity… The electricity supply is currently off. Grid looks like it's mostly intact, and-.
So for the most part, people are keeping themselves alive. But being knocked back down to the middle ages probably isn't helping.

I drop down slowly towards where a mixture of Chinese soldiers and police officers are converging on one of the city's Anti-Life broadcasters.

"Gentlemen."
Best to find out what their intentions towards it are, for one thing. Getting some word from those on the ground will also help.

A couple of soldiers start to raise their guns - regular QBZ-191s, not the more advanced things the Xeno-Teams use- but their… Major, shakes his head and motions for them to lower them.

"Orange Lantern. The Justice League has won?"
Given that you aren't currently marching about chanting 'Mannheim Is!', it's a safe bet. :p

"The Anti-Life has been expunged from the Earth, and the main transmitted has been taken off Earth."

Malvolio scooped it out of the ground and dropped it off on the moon. Or maybe it's been moved since, I don't know. I was hoping that New Genesis would take it, but with Orion storming off I guess it didn't come up.
Sadly, there are few safe places to move it to. And most are far too distant to do so quickly with existing League resources.

"Is it safe to destroy the transmitters?"

"So far as we can tell, yes."
And I expect many have already ben pulled down by now. Not always safely, either, I'll wager.

"What does that mean?"

"It's alien technology from a planet called Apokolips. It can transmit part of their gods thoughts through it, but with their god driven off it should be safe to destroy. This issue is… Ah, he was doing something complicated with magic when we finally got him and our wizards haven't unpicked it yet."
Might want to ask about that, OL, or was that one of your first questions for Atom?

"Fucking… So, what? We just leave it here?"

"Without the original Anti-Life sample it can't be used for its intended purpose without its creator coming to Earth personally, and we're confident that isn't going to happen in the short term."
...I'm sure He will turn up eventually. Hopefully by then, Earth will have proven itself ready for 'a higher form of war'.

"The short term?"

"The god in question is the God of Tyranny. His ultimate aim is to do what we just suffered through -but worse- to the entire universe. We're part of the universe. He'll be back at some point. Which means that your government is probably going to want that in one piece so they can study it."
And, you know, maybe develop a counter-system. Hopefully those who end up in charge won't go 'A better way to control the people? Yes please!' and turn super-villain.

"We can't just leave it here."

"If you've got a warehouse or a military base, I can move them for you. Until the government in Beijing can give you new orders."
Assuming they're even capable of doing so in any reasonable timeframe.

He nods, though some of the police look unhappy with the decision. "That… Yes. Move them to the Jinan Airbase for now."

I nod, attaching construct clamps to the transmitter and pulling it out of the ground.
I suppose some of them were looking forwards to blowing it up or something. A little fireworks display to celebrate. :D

"What is the state of the world? We're not getting any news."

"We're still putting a picture together. The death toll with likely be large. Pretty much every urban centre went through the same thing that you did, and it wasn't much better in the rural areas."

"We have the city's Dark Lord in chains. Am I to understand that he is not dangerous?"
So, potentially up to a billion or more gone, eh? On top of the Sheeda thing, and everything else in the last few years. Earth can't catch a break sometimes, can she?

"Some people were able to internalise aspects of the Anti-Life better than others. One of my friends.. became ruler of Gotham City. I… My personal opinion is that while the people who were able to resist and keep fighting should be lionised, the ones who couldn't… I don't think they should be punished just for being a little weaker. The ones who broke… I watched them kill themselves just to make a point. Because they thought it was the thing to do."
The dubious 'joy' of being fully Justified. I guess these fellows weren't amongst that number.

The major twitches in recognition.

"The city bosses were just ahead of the curve. They weren't anymore themselves than the rest. Perhaps… Protective custody for now?"
...Ah. perhaps he at least was. At least OL can encourage people not to demonise them.

"At the moment it does not make much difference."

"And now I.. have some questions. Firstly, is there some large and immediate threat to the people of Jinan?"
Besides the threat of disease and starvation that the collapse of modern civilisation would inevitably descend into?

"The.. power is not working. The military bases and some companies have generators, but I do not know when more fuel will arrive."

I nod. "I'll do a tour of the power plants and get them working. How are you doing for water?"
Or perhaps simply bypass them with a few more advanced and clean systems? Bleed Torsion reactors or the like, with full manuals for people to keep them running?

"I've got men collecting and purifying water from the river. Once power is restored, the water treatment plant should start working again. Then we will start moving the bodies."

I nod. "Secondly, what sort of organisation do you have? Political, military-."
Hopefully they're managing to stay on top of sanitation, too. Last thing they need is cholera, dysentery and various other unsanitary diseases breaking out.

"My commanding officer was the Dark Lord. He killed most of his subordinates. As far as I know, I am the most senior officer still alive near Jinan. I haven't seen a party official yet. Do you know when communications will be restored?"

"It looks like the phone lines were mostly intact. I'd guess that the problem is the power supply again. But usage is going to go crazy once it's working again."
That's probably a given. First thing a lot of the citizens are going to want to do is make sure their families are okay. And if a lot of them are in other cities...

"Then, pending communication from Beijing, I will assume control of Jinan and maintain stability through martial law."

"Have you seen any of the Great Ten?"
...Oh yeah, most of them are still MIA post-justification, aren't they? Along with a lot of other super-powered persons worldwide, I expect. A census of said capes might be a priority once they ensure people don't keep dying.

"No. I have not seen them since the Anti-Life broadcast started. I have never seen them at close quarters with my own eyes."

"Okay, thank you." I nod respectfully. "I'll check on the power plant now, and pick up the broadcasters once I'm finished."
To be fair, seeing any of them in person would mean something bad is going down in town.

I raise my right hand to my forehead and

step out, reappearing

in a control room. China gets most of its power from coal and most of the rest from nuclear. Supplies are messed up, so nuclear.
...Which raises a worrying thought: Nuclear reactors aren't known for playing nice when unsupervised, are they?

I notice the burned bodies around me, bleeding from dozens of places across their bodies. Ring?

Oh dear.
:confused: After nearly two months without proper oversight, I'll bet that's going to be the reaction to a lot of reactors worldwide.

Well, if the place went into a meltdown, then OL is going to have to do some detailed cleanup. And then start checking on other reactor sites around the country. He can probably call it in to Atom for other parts of the world, and the Lanterns can manage them. I suspect that without some strong involvement from the heroing community, the world is going to suffering quite a bit of ecological damage.

Wonder if all of this would be the catalyst for a more unified Earth or something? It wouldn't have helped, obviously, but this is essentially a post-apocalyptic Earth at this point. After so many world-shaking events and tragedies the population might be as low as it was in the 60s for all I know.

A new Baby Boom generation incoming? I bet after this a lot of parents would be eager to sign their babies up for super soldier formulas. Like that Danner stuff.

A couple of soldiers start to raise their guns - regular QBZ-191s, not the more advanced things the Xeno-Teams use- but their…
Technology just a little beyond IRL. Seems like all those superscientists helped a little, but not much.
It can transmit part of their gods thoughts through it, but with their god driven off it should be safe to destroy. This issue is…
'god's'
'The issue'?
I realise this is probably just a meltdown or something, but my first thought was that Mister Atom was betraying them, since he can emit gamma rays. If it was him they'd probably be ashes, though.

Last edited:
Would a plant meltdown have been designed as a trap for Mr Atom?

That should say 'here'.
"is a sometimes"
"transmitter"
"toll will"
'god's'
'The issue'?
Thank you, corrected.
...Which raises a worrying thought: Nuclear reactors aren't known for playing nice when unsupervised, are they?
To the best of my knowledge, nuclear reactors are designed to fail safe. That doesn't help if one gets hit by an earthquake and then a tsunami at the same time, but I don't think that the workers wandering off could cause that.
That would be like trying to kill an ocean by pouring boiling water on it.

18th February 2013
21:21 GMT +8

step out, reappearing

in a control room. China gets most of its power from coal and most of the rest from nuclear. Supplies are messed up, so nuclear.

Oh dear.

You want Hulks? Because that's how you get Hulks!

Oops, wrong universe

Plenty of countries just don't have the ability to collate and upload reports daily. Not enough computers, not enough bandwidth or not enough trained people. Plenty of rural places in poorer countries can't really do it at all, and if we want to know what crimes are like there we'd have to wait until someone physically carries an annual summary to the nearest town or city. The Justice League's charter allows League members to turn up at a police station and demand to see their written records, but even Batman hasn't ever made that anyone's job unless there's an actual mission-related need for it.

Fun fact, "plenty of countries" includes the United States of America! That's right, we have no central policing database that all the individual police departments report to. Oh, they can exchange information on things like wanted criminals, but there's no place where "there were X robberies" and "there were X murders" is reported every day. There's a sort of voluntary disclosure database that some departments report to, but it's usually about a year behind on the data.

Fun fact, "plenty of countries" includes the United States of America! That's right, we have no central policing database that all the individual police departments report to. Oh, they can exchange information on things like wanted criminals, but there's no place where "there were X robberies" and "there were X murders" is reported every day. There's a sort of voluntary disclosure database that some departments report to, but it's usually about a year behind on the data.
Do state police have a database like that, or does every different police department have completely separate records?

Do state police have a database like that, or does every different police department have completely separate records?

As you might imagine, 50 states have 50 answers to that question. I checked and my states does maintain a state crime database from local departments, but I believe reports are made monthly and I have no idea what the compliance rates or accuracy actually amount to. Data collection of this sort is notoriously hard in the US because even when you actually have authority to pass a law about reporting (as state governments do) they are not administratively in charge of any random city's police department. The state police can't go in and fire the police chief of some county if his department hasn't done a good job with reports.

None of this very relevant to the story, of course, I just thought you might be interested to know that crime reporting has been a long-standing problem in the US. I understand there have been various attempts to improve matters in recent years.

The state police can't go in and fire the police chief of some county if his department hasn't done a good job with reports.
My instinctive response is 'why not', but then realised that I don't know if the British Home Secretary can do that with any police department other than the Metropolitan Police. And the current head of the Met led a mission a few years ago where none of the police at ground level knew what their target actually looked like.

This really seems like the kind of situation that calls for just dropping in a few bleed torsion generators.

Huh, I just remembered that he can clean up nuclear disasters by eating the radiation, so this is all fixable without OL ringing everything better.
This really seems like the kind of situation that calls for just dropping in a few bleed torsion generators.
Yeah, or copies of Starman's cosmic rod.
If Thanagar ever wanted to annex Earth, this would be the time, because this was the wake-up call to end all wake-up calls and the whole population is gonna demand defenses once everything is rebuilt.
Hmm, the Controllers can make planets, so it would be kind of trivial for them to rebuild Earth's infrastructure better than it was. I actually wanna see the whole uplift aspect take off.

Huh, I just remembered that he can clean up nuclear disasters by eating the radiation, so this is all fixable without OL ringing everything better.

Yeah, or copies of Starman's cosmic rod.
If Thanagar ever wanted to annex Earth, this would be the time, because this was the wake-up call to end all wake-up calls and the whole population is gonna demand defenses once everything is rebuilt.
Hmm, the Controllers can make planets, so it would be kind of trivial for them to rebuild Earth's infrastructure better than it was. I actually wanna see the whole uplift aspect take off.
Well OL had no problem making copies of Rocket's belt without her permission due to how useful they were for the team, he made up with her about it and compensated her for it later I think (I forget what he did, maybe he Danner'd her?), so something as versatile and powerful as Star Girl's belt and rod would be a welcome addition to the regular gear.

Plus, if the League's moved on to a "small elite force that can handle any big emergency that pops up" while fostering the formation and growth of more local and less elite forces of heroes, mass produced gear like the cosmic rod and belt would do wonders for that.

They're not quite Power Rings, but they give their wears good Flying Brick, Flying Artillery, and Shield powers, and enhanced sense too I think. Perfect for a more standardized super force

Sure, mass producing and standarizing equipment like that for the sake of efficiency and effectiveness kinda kills the wonder of a superhero's uniqueness and function as an icon, but OL's never given a crap about that right Mr Zoat ? Regardless of having epiphanies in seeing JSI Scott or toning down his anal retentiveness about whitewashing Nazis by stubbornly reminding everyone to call them the National Socialist Party.

From rereading the Uncomplicated Good Works arc and the preceding ones, it's obvious Paul's lost sight and touch with why superheroes bother rescuing and helping people as individuals save for their loved ones, and just focuses on the numbers and cold calculus of things behind a goal of "most good for the most number".

Paul being surprised at how uncomfortable he got at seeing JSI Scott's decisions in Feasability Study is probably the only reason he isn't trying to argue that the Justice League take control of the reigns for the affected countries for the sake of efficiency. I don't get why he doesn't. It's pretty obvious he very much dislikes the "golden agey superheroism" that Superman and Captain Marvel do as inefficient, and wasteful regardless of his token platitudes.

If Paul had the tech the Light used in canon to forcibly awaken metahumans, he'd take it and spread it around, likely after working out the kinks to reduce chances of failed awakening resulting in death since Earth could use the increased firepower.

At the end of the day he's a pragmatic utilitarian with a fundamentally alien morality and viewpoint based on avarice that believes he knows what's best. The only reason he listens if his loved ones correct him is because they're his loved ones and are the exception due to the warpiness of his mind due to Orange Light, and even then, Condescending Compassion + Pragmatic Utilitarian sums up a lot of OL's MO and personality. Want the ends, want the means and all that jazz.

If increasing productivity and effectiveness on policing the planet in the aftermath of a wave of Anti-Life means destroying superhero culture as we know it with an organization of superpowered police he'll do it in a heartbeat and not feel bad.

It's why Eris is his chosen patron after all, OL is gonna improve the efficiency and productivity of Earth by disregarding and browbeating the nay sayers and opposition, and the nameless masses that resist the change are gonna be disregarded and ignored for the sake of the greater good and progress, unless said minority affected negatively includes his loved ones.

Last edited:
Reconstruction (part 3)
18th February 2013
21:46 GMT +8

They just took the interior of the reactor apart with picks and hammers. The bodies are piled up around the edges of the room where they were dragged after they keeled over and the others wanted them out of the way so that they could take their turn.

I don't know what they were-.

I've rebuilt the shielding, put the radiological materials back in place and repaired the reactor. Now-.

Recognised, Mister Atom, asterisk.

He steps out of the construct zeta tube, raising his hands. My ring can't entirely decipher the mechanism, but I can detect that radiation is being sucked into him. No matter how little sense that makes.

"Have you identified any major leaks?"

"Some fuel is missing. I'll follow up on it right now."

"The time allotted is five minutes. If you cannot locate it within that time, notify local authorities and proceed to your next city."

I nod and transition myself out of the power plant. Lots of lovely radiation-blocking metal and concrete around here. Honestly, we're lucky that Darkseid thinks that nuclear bombardments are too quick, or a lost fuel rod would be far from the worst thing that happened today.

Worst ongoing thing. Those men having burned themselves to death with fuel rods is… Pretty bad. I don't know if it would be better to believe that they died under the effect of the Anti-Life or that they died after it left. They'd have been more aware of the pain… But maybe it would be better to die free as yourself?

Strong radiation trace that way. Towards the riv-.

Transition.

"Uuuuh."

A man whose skin is more blister than skin is weakly reaching for-.

Stick that in a construct box, purple healing ray and shoot him with it.

"Sir, don't try to move. You're-."

Sufficiently close to death's doorway that I'm a little surprised that you're alive.

"You're in a bad way, but we can fix you up."

Ring, signal Mr. Atom.

Compliance.

"…hurts…"

"Yes, and I'm sorry, about that, but I don't.. want to risk introducing drugs into your system, and your brain is in somewhat less than pristine condition."

On the… Other hand, I… Should be able to remove the sensation of pain. Because that has to hurt.

I extend my environmental shield around… Dr. Li. Oh shit, this is a man whose nervous system doesn't need me poking it for… At least two minutes while the purple ray does its work.

"Two minutes, and then you should be healed enough for me to give you a painkiller without killing you."

"Not important. People… Safe."

"Got to be honest, I'm impressed that you're still alive."

"White God."

Um..? "What do you mean by that?"

"We were… Commanded. Spread radiologicals." He shudders. "I got..." He manages to weakly raise his head and look at the river. "This close before I fell. Then… I saw the White God, and the... My mind cleared. Tried to throw it away, away from the water. Live to shout for attention, warn… Someone. MostImportant thing."

"The White God. It looked like-"

I generate a construct of the Life Entity.

"-this?"

There's something odd in his expression as his eyes lock onto it. He nods, stiffly.

"You saw it?"

He nods again, still staring at the image.

"That happened yesterday?"

Another nod. He lived that long with those radiation burns… Not impossible, but… Unlikely.

I dismiss the construct.

"I understand that the government of the People's Republic of China is not in favour of religion. While I personally know that all of the Earth owes the being you saw a great deal, it might be a good idea not to talk about it too freely."

He looks up at me and nods stiffly. There's some actual skin on his face now, which is a significant improvement. So… He drew on the white light. Not much, but enough to keep his body alive while he tried to get the fuel rod away from the river.

I know that the Life Entity can empower people. That's why Nommo's still alive after all this time. But that isn't common. He described the process as reaching into the furthest limits of the Earth's thaumosphere through meditation. But… If the Life Entity is… Occupying the space Mannheim created rather than where the Guardians put it…

Then it would now be easier. And we can't really have a bigger target painted on the planet than 'successfully opposed Darkseid'…

Well, if we can then we now do. And if we can't then we can't.

Alright, Doctor Li looks recovered enough not to keel over. I numb his extremities and… Use ring power to accelerate the rate of repairs, patching up the parts that are too badly damaged for the purple healing ray's regeneration enhancement to affect. Only a few more moments pass, then he's back to full physical fitness. I reach out to offer him a hand up.

He takes it, looking a little stunned as he examines himself.

"Thank you."

"I can fly you back to the power plant if you like?"

"Thank you, no. I would like to take the time it will take to walk there to think things over. I… Am not sure, of a great many things."

"Rightoh."

I transition back to the power plant, next to Mr. Atom as he closes his radiation absorption vents.

"I got the fuel rod and the scientist, but we might have a problem. He saw the Life Entity."

"Yes."

"You're not surprised?"

"Initial interviews suggest that the closer a human was tied to the Anti-Life, the clearer and more intense their vision of the Life Entity was. They do not understand what it was they saw, but they know that it was part of what freed them."

He takes the fuel rod from me and eats it.

"Create a new zeta tube construct. I am needed elsewhere."

Last edited:
"Initial interviews suggest that the closer a human was tied to the Anti-Life, the clearer and more intense their vision of the Life Entity was. They do not understand what it was they saw, but they know that it was part of what freed them."
So... Paul's plan to save Earth worked, but now put all life in the universe in the crosshairs of various evil beings.

Last edited:
The just took the interior of the reactor apart with picks and hammers. The bodies are piled up around the edges of the room where they were dragged after they keeled over and the others wanted them out of the way so that they could take their turn.
That should either say 'They just' or 'The Justified'.

If we weren't aware of the Life Entity, that statement could've been taken in a very different way.

"-this?"

There's something odd in his expression as his eyes lock onto it. He nods, stiffly.

"You saw it?"

Another nod. He lived that long with those radiation burns… Not impossible, but… Unlikely.
Not sure if people seeing the Life Entity like this is a good or bad thing overall, but it's good that Paul is now aware that some people have seen it.

I wonder how many people will start a new religion worshipping the "White God". I also hope they think of a better name for the Life Entity.

That should either say 'They just' or 'The Justified'.

If we weren't aware of the Life Entity, that statement could've been taken in a very different way.

Not sure if people seeing the Life Entity like this is a good or bad thing overall, but it's good that Paul is now aware that some people have seen it.

I wonder how many people will start a new religion worshipping the "White God". I also hope they think of a better name for the Life Entity.
Agreed. First thing to come to mind when I saw White God was Dresden Files' name for the Big G. It's a pretty catchy one all told.

So, we've got multiple people with visions of the Life Entity, and Paul knows Earth got an even bigger target painted on their back.

Yeah, it definitely seems like part of the rebuilding process is building a superpowered army to resist the inevitable invasion force.

Rocket's belt, and Star Girl's rod and belt, along with the Danner formula are a good start for a uniform, military and police force

Wait what? I thought Mister Atom had a grill-mouth. How did he eat a fuel rod? Then if he does have a mouth-mouth, how did he eat the rod? Did he just open up and drop it in, or did he eat it like a normal person eats a Footlong sub?

Mr. Atom is the robot. Major Atom, or currently President Adams, is the energy-manipulation superhero usually known as Captain Atom, that can absorb radioactive energy and materials into himself. Most people remember him now because of the Justice League Unlimited animated series, I think.

Mr. Atom is the robot. Major Atom, or currently President Adams, is the energy-manipulation superhero usually known as Captain Atom, that can absorb radioactive energy and materials into himself. Most people remember him now because of the Justice League Unlimited animated series, I think.
Given that Paul addressed them was Mr. Atom, and Paul's distate and anal retentiveness about not using codenames, he'd have called him President Adams or something if it was the guy.

Sounds like Paul brought over the robot, which does beg the question of how they can eat a fuel rod.

Wait what? I thought Mister Atom had a grill-mouth. How did he eat a fuel rod? Then if he does have a mouth-mouth, how did he eat the rod? Did he just open up and drop it in, or did he eat it like a normal person eats a Footlong sub?
Crunch crunch crunch.

Like eating a florescent light bulb, but spicy.

parts that are to badly

"are too"

If we weren't aware of the Life Entity, that statement could've been taken in a very different way

Yeah, now I'm worried that racists are going to use that as justification for their shit.

I wonder how many people will start a new religion worshipping the "White God". I also hope they think of a better name for the Life Entity

Maybe a new name could be the Light.

Ironic, I know.

18th February 2013
21:46 GMT +8

The just took the interior of the reactor apart with picks and hammers. The bodies are piled up around the edges of the room where they were dragged after they keeled over and the others wanted them out of the way so that they could take their turn.

I don't know what they were-.
Okay, yeah, that would wreck shit worse than mere inattention. Though you have to wonder why? I mean, the 'how' is obvious enough: Anti-Life sent them crazy and their local 'master' was evidently a murderous lunatic.

I've rebuilt the shielding, put the radiological materials back in place and repaired the reactor. Now-.

Recognised, Mister Atom, asterisk.
Surprised he's accepting the need to take time away from his console, but he's probably got a continuous feed from here.

He steps out of the construct zeta tube, raising his hands. My ring can't entirely decipher the mechanism, but I can detect that radiation is being sucked into him. No matter how little sense that makes.

"Have you identified any major leaks?"
Super-science. Doesn't have to make a lick of sense, especially if it's Earth bullshit.

"Some fuel is missing. I'll follow up on it right now."

"The time allotted is five minutes. If you cannot locate it within that time, notify local authorities and proceed to your next city."
Well, okay. I get the need for haste in the clean-up period, but five minutes? To be fair, a Lantern should be able to handle this in one.

I nod and transition myself out of the power plant. Lot's of lovely radiation-blocking metal and concrete around here. Honestly, we're lucky that Darkseid thinks that nuclear bombardments are too quick, or a lost fuel rod would be far from the worst thing that happened today.

Worst ongoing thing. Those men having burned themselves to death with fuel rods is… Pretty bad. I don't know if it would be better to believe that they died under the affect of the Anti-Life or that they died after it left. They'd have been more aware of the pain… But maybe it would be better to die free as yourself?
Still insane that they were ordered to pull a fuel rod out anyway. Especially if it came out 'hot'. And judging by their damage, it was very much so.

Strong radiation trace that way. Towards the riv-.

Transition.
Ah, I see now. Polluting and poisoning the river that feeds the city, and all those downstream. Pain and suffering followed by many, many deaths.

"Uuuuh."

A man who's skin is more blister than skin is weakly reaching for-.
I'm guessing he carried it here. Amazed he's still alive, as nuclear fuel rods are not happy fun toys.

Stick that in a construct box, purple healing ray and shoot him with it.

"Sir, don't try to move. You're-."
Hopefully flushing any residual radiation out of him in the process of healing. And keeping an eye out for potential cancer outbreaks in his system.

Sufficiently close to death's doorway that I'm a little surprised that you're alive.

"You're in a bad way, but we can fix you up."
...Methinks the White Light played some part in that. The Life Entity does things for unknowable reasons sometimes, after all.

Ring, signal Mr. Atom.

Compliance.
Calling in the good news, I assume. 'Rod accounted for, one casualty being healed.'

"…hurts…"

"Yes, and I'm sorry, about that, but I don't.. want to risk introducing drugs into your system, and your brain is in somewhat less than pristine condition."
And the Ray is busy enough dealing with the radiation effects.

On the… Other hand, I… Should be able to remove the sensation of pain. Because that has to hurt.

I extend my environmental shield around… Dr. Li. Oh shit, this is a man whose nervous system doesn't need me poking it for… At least two minutes while the purple ray does its work.
...Is he meant to be someone important, or is that just caution?

"Two minutes, and then you should be healed enough for me to give you a painkiller without killing you."

"Not important. People… Safe."
They are now, yes. I'm guessing he tried to make the rod safe after the Anti-Life was repelled. Even if he might have been the one to carry it here in the first place beforehand...

"Got to be honest, I'm impressed that you're still alive."

"White God."
...That sounds like he got a personal visitation by the Entity... And I suspect he won't be the only one on the planet who did.

Um..? "What do you mean by that?"

"We were… Commanded. Spread radiologicals." He shudders. "I got..." He manages to weakly raise his head and look at the river. "This close before I fell. Then… I saw the White God, and the... My mind cleared. Tried to throw it away, away from the water. Live to shout for attention, warn… Someone. MostImportant thing."
Making amends for what he was forced to do, eh? A story that will likely be repeated elsewhere too.

Careful, OL. Don't go flashing that around too much.

"-this?"

Probably a sense of 'it doesn't compare to the real thing, but close enough.'

"You saw it?"

Now, what to do with him and that knowledge?

Unless a higher power wanted him to survive for its own inscrutable reasons.

I dismiss the construct.

"I understand that the government of the People's Republic of China is not in favour of religion. While I personally know that all of the Earth owes the being you saw a great deal, it might be a good idea not to talk about it too freely."
In other words, keep mum or someone might take issue with it.

He looks up at me and nods stiffly. There's some actual skin on his face now, which is a significant improvement. So… He drew on the white light. Not much, but enough to keep his body alive while he tried to get the fuel rod away from the river.

I know that the Life Entity can empower people. That's why Nommo's still alive after all this time. But that isn't common. He described the process as reaching into the furthest limits of the Earth's thaumosphere through meditation. But… If the Life Entity is… Occupying the space Mannheim created rather than where the Guardians put it…
That might explain the surprised expression it had. So it's out of the safety bubble the Guardians put it in? That might be troublesome.

Then it would now be easier. And we can't really have a bigger target painted on the planet than 'successfully opposed Darkseid'…

Well, if we can then we now do. And if we can't then we can't.
At least the fellow isn't flying around with a ring and a natty silver-and-white costume.

Alright, Doctor Li looks recovered enough not to keel over. I numb his extremities and… Use ring power to accelerate the rate of repairs, patching up the parts that are to badly damaged for the purple healing ray's regeneration enhancement to affect. Only a few more moments pass, then he's back to full physical fitness. I reach out to offer him a hand up.

He takes it, looking a little stunned as he examines himself.
Given he was at death's door not three minutes ago (and only because the Entity was holding it shut,) that's not surprising.

"Thank you."

"I can fly you back to the power plant if you like?"
As long as it's not still 'hot'. But Mister Atom has that handled, methinks.

"Thank you, no. I would like to take the time it will take to walk there to think things over. I… Am not sure, of a great many things."

"Rightoh."
Though I would expect OL to make a note of the guy's details, figuratively speaking. Plant a tracer or a Ring bookmark or something, that sort of thing.

I transition back to the power plant, next to Mr. Atom as he closes his radiation absorption vents.

"I got the fuel rod and the scientist, but we might have a problem. He saw the Life Entity."
Wonder if anyone else has reported similar visions. Perhaps this isn't news to Atom.

"Yes."

"You're not surprised?"
"This is not the first such occurrence the League has made note of."

He takes the fuel rod from me and eats it.

"Create a new zeta tube construct. I am needed elsewhere."
So there could be hundreds, even thousands of people worldwide who saw something like an 'angel'. Those with strong Abrahamic beliefs might just think 'Oh, God did it', but there's bound to be some who want to look deeper.

Weighing in in the Atom eating the fuel rod thing: Most of his depictions do have a human-like mouth, or at least something recognisable as a mouth. Even if there's a grill inside his 'lips' he can probably retract it to insert objects. As for the visions of the Entity, I expect some may attribute it to their own deity's messenger or similar, but some will be curious. OL might want to watch out for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back