• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

So, the Renegade's feeling a bit suspicious of Satanus' apparent altruism over in Purgatory, eh

Honestly, he should be.

The whole thing that he was doing seemed to be trying to improve Hell, but it doesn't exactly fit with his motives from the comics.

During the whole Reign in Hell comic he preached about hope but when he won he didn't change the fundamental nature of Hell as a place of torment. He just made it so that humans were the ones torturing themselves instead of demons.

His other actions, like making Hell less dependent on human souls, were all practical, but not necessarily good decisions.

He probably doesn't care about changing Hell so that it can go into a less evil path, but just a more efficient path.

He's less Michael from The Good Place and more Crowley from Supernatural.

Correction, it should say "Jebediah" or "Shazam", not "Nabu".
"Alicorn"
Thank you, corrected.
Ah, 'Hot Wailord on Skitty Action', eh? Much like you and... Most any regular human woman, Renegade. :p Though elder Dragons on Wilson do tend to be significantly larger than ponies.

Perhaps they rely on readers to inform them when they find spelling or grammatical errors? Works better with digital publications than print, I suppose.
Funny guy. Let me know what you pay $12 an issue.

Honestly, he should be.

The whole thing that he was doing seemed to be trying to improve Hell, but it doesn't exactly fit with his motives from the comics.

During the whole Reign in Hell comic he preached about hope but when he won he didn't change the fundamental nature of Hell as a place of torment. He just made it so that humans were the ones torturing themselves instead of demons.

His other actions, like making Hell less dependent on human souls, were all practical, but not necessarily good decisions.

He probably doesn't care about changing Hell so that it can go into a less evil path, but just a more efficient path.

He's less Michael from The Good Place and more Crowley from Supernatural.

I think you mean Crowley from Good Omens, who deals in the mass production and distribution of damnation ever so slowly sending people hell just a little bit at a time via things like massive traffic jams as well as every other frustration/inconvenience of modern life that tends to drive people berserk. He is very skilled and very, very efficient except for that one time with the Anti-Christ.

Hellish Content (part 10)
Day 18
24th March 2013
00:13 GMT -5

"H-uh…"

Sunset's description of the way this magic works was pretty accurate. If I.. squint, I can sort of see the bending streams of magic energy twisting around her but never quite touching her. There are a… Disconcerting number of screaming faces in the magic energy.

"H-uh?"

She frowns curiously. "It's… Weird."

"It's made by a demon who minored in order magic. I'd be surprised if there was anyone else in the world other than his sister who could use it if they wanted to."

"No, I mean… Some parts are more sophisticated than the others. A lot more. I'd guess they were made by different people if the trace wasn't exactly the same."

"Is the spell sophisticated enough to make more of itself? If it's made automatically..?"

"I'm not seeing anything like that. I suppose it might have had that and then turned it off."

"Or the caster might have gained an education and built upon what they had already made?"

"No, it's too… Bound together for that to have happened." She grunts frustratedly. "The only thing I can think of it that he deliberately didn't bother making the other parts as complicated."

"Do they need to be?"

"Against most people? No. They'd be bare bones in Equestria or Atlantis, but I guess they don't really need to be better in America."

I nod. "And making them too good might draw attention by itself. A magician looking over a city and seeing a weak and simple defensive spell will assume that they're looking at the work of a competent amateur."

"And they wouldn't care about that. But… Oh. So the really good stuff has to avoid being detected, but he probably isn't good enough to disguise the fact that there's something happening, so he makes sure that something is showing-."

She frowns thoughtfully.

"Plausible?"

"Maybe? There's nothing here that tells me what he was thinking when he put these together."

"Okay, so what do the two parts do?"

"The simple part has a sort of… Diffuse presence… Charm? It's basically just creating a weak magic mist throughout the building. In Equestria, some places use that like a burglar alarm, and an actual wizard can use it to do remote casting."

I nod. "Because their magic is already there, and the structure of the building supports it."

"Right. And there's a bunch of other stuff you can do with it, like making it so your books spontaneously combust if they leave that area. This is all bare minimum, I-am-actually-a-wizard-and-not-just-copying-things-out-of-a-book stuff."

"Demonic? Orderly?"

"It's too simple to really have a domain. But the other stuff is… Really fascinating. So, normally, when you create a spell you tie it to a place or an object. But-."

"But this is tied to the general space defined by the simple spell. I'm not a complete neophyte, Sunset."

"No, smartass. It's not. It's just that that area is the only thing it can affect. As far as… All of the sophisticated spells go, that's their entire universe. There is nothing else. It's so much a part of them that I don't think I could make them do something else without taking them completely apart."

"And that part has a domain?"

"Oh yeah." She shudders, and nods at the stream of the damned. "Screaming souls in torment, all the way. I'm… Not completely sure, but I think that part extends into Hell as well."

"The damned souls do rather suggest that."

Though… Are souls in purgatory really damned in the technical sense? From the way Sergeant Wu described going into the next circle in as a one-way journey-. Ah, but she didn't say whether that was because she'd have never been allowed out by the far stronger demons or because it wasn't possible to get out once she'd made that choice.

Okay, so let's… Assume that Satanus is getting souls from another circle of Hell and using those. He doesn't have any personal presence in other parts of Hell -everyone I asked seemed insulted at the idea- so he isn't gathering them himself. That leaves trade and pacts with the living. Satanus doesn't have the infrastructure in Hell to support cults -that requires a whole host of minor demons to dole out minor boons, otherwise you cheapen the appeal of the major demon- so while he might have a cult leader somewhere under a major pact who has a high cultist neophyte turnover…

Insert joke about American healthcare here.

It's far more likely that he's trading something to someone who does. Or has access to one of the other circles. But the nobility hate him, and while I doubt someone like Mammon would flat out refuse to trade with him, they would charge him well over the odds. And Mammon has more than enough worshippers to properly price up the goods and services for the mortal plane, so he couldn't take advantage of being the sole supplier.

"Grayven?"

"Hm? Oh, sorry, trying to work out what he's doing with his spells. Carry on?"

"I don't think it goes to Hell. I've done some work on detecting demon summoning rituals for the D.E.A., and it doesn't feel like they do."

"Purgatory?"

Sunset shrugs. "I don't know how different that feels."

"Mother Box, hush tube."

"Ping."

A small portal opens next to me. "Try that."

Sunset wiggles her right fore and middle fingers at it, then waves her forefinger to close it.

"Yes, that's it exactly."

So… They are coming from Purgatory? Or that system isn't the bit that draws the damned soul into it. Or is he channelling damned souls out of other parts of Hell and into his own more homely domain. Oh, I don't know.

"What is the spell actually doing?"

"Lots of things. And it's not one spell, it's a whole system. There are spells for monitoring people, spells for taking small amounts of power from everyone-."

"What would the effect be on people inside the building?"

"Ah… They'd be a bit less magically powerful, so… They'd feel a bit more tired, recover a bit more slowly from injuries and be worse at magic. Legally, it's like committing hundreds of cases of assault every day."

I smile. Good. And this is expert testimony. Simple Assault in New York has a maximum sentence of one year in prison, so if the prosecution could prove a remorseless pattern of behaviour then Satanus could be imprisoned indefinitely. But with regard to my work in Hell, that's just leverage.

Until the month is up.

"Can you tell where it's going?"

"I can tell where in the building, but I don't know what it's being used for."

"So if we want to know, then we need someone in the building."

"There's no way anything could get in that building without being detected."

"Sure, but being detected isn't necessarily going to provoke a response. And I know some creatures who are good at being overlooked."

Last edited:
No, I mean… Some parts are more sophisticated than the others. A lot more. I'd guess they were made by different people if the trace wasn't exactly the same."

Maybe he was feeling tired when he made some of them.

The only thing I can think of it that he deliberately didn't bother making the other parts as complicated."

A trap.

Though… Are souls in purgatory really damned in the technical sense

Well if you consider being away from Heaven as damnation, then yes.

Okay, so let's… Assume that Satanus is getting souls from another circle of Hell and using those. He doesn't have any personal presence in other parts of Hell -everyone I asked seemed insulted at the idea- so he isn't gathering them himself. That leaves trade and pacts with the living. Satanus doesn't have the infrastructure in Hell to support cults -that requires a whole host of minor demons to doll out minor boons, otherwise you cheapen the appeal of the major demon- so while he might have a cult leader somewhere under a major pact who has a high cultist neophyte turnover…

It's far more likely that he's trading something to someone who does. Or has access to one of the other circles. But the nobility hate him, and while I doubt someone like Mammon would flat out refuse to trade with him, they would charge him well over the odds. And Mammon has more than enough worshippers to properly price up the goods and services or the mortal plane, so he couldn't take advantage of being the sole supplier

I'm guessing it's Demon Jizz.

response. And I know some creatures who are good at being overlooked

I'm guessing it's the slime demons.

"Sure, but being detected isn't necessarily going to provoke a response. And I know some creatures who are good at being overlooked."
Will slime demons end up being the Renegade's personal spy network? Or is this going to be a one time thing?

Day 18
24th March 2013
00:13 GMT -5

"H-uh…"

Sunset's description of the way this magic works was pretty accurate. If I.. squint, I can sort of see the bending streams of magic energy twisting around her but never quite touching her. There are a… Disconcerting number of screaming faces in the magic energy.
So, she's found something interesting in the spellwork, I see. You don't make a noise like that for 'well, I was expecting that.' Though the screaming faces suggests it's not entirely pleasant, much less good.

"H-uh?"

She frowns curiously. "It's… Weird."
'Suspiciously deceptive' weird or 'That's a novel approach' weird? Do elaborate, Sunset.

"It's made by a demon who minored in order magic. I'd be surprised if there was anyone else in the world other than his sister who could use it if they wanted to."

"No, I mean… Some parts are more sophisticated than the others. A lot more. I'd guess they were made by different people if the trace wasn't exactly the same."
Or he's a firm believer is keeping it simple when needed? Master the basics, and exercise the advanced when needed.

"Is the spell sophisticated enough to make more of itself? If it's made automatically..?"

"I'm not seeing anything like that. I suppose it might have had that and then turned it off."
Let's hope it's not a potential mystical grey goo scenario, then.

"Or the caster might have gained an education and built upon what they had already made?"

"No, it's too… Bound together for that to have happened." She grunts frustratedly. "The only thing I can think of it that he deliberately didn't bother making the other parts as complicated."
Interesting. Perhaps it's designed to keep the energy costs low.

"Do they need to be?"

"Against most people? No. They'd be bare bones in Equestria or Atlantis, but I guess they don't really need to be better in America."
Especially in an America that isn't as clued in to magic as some versions.

I nod. "And making them too good might draw attention by itself. A magician looking over a city and seeing a weak and simple defensive spell will assume that they're looking at the work of a competent amateur."

"And they wouldn't care about that. But… Oh. So the really good stuff has to avoid being detected, but he probably isn't good enough to disguise the fact that there's something happening, so he makes sure that something is showing-."
Hiding gold amongst the dross? Show them something basic and they won't bother to look closer?

She frowns thoughtfully.

"Plausible?"

"Maybe? There's nothing here that tells me what he was thinking when he put these together."
Sadly, spellwork doesn't leave itself open to programmer comments.

"Okay, so what do the two parts do?"

"The simple part has a sort of… Diffuse presence… Charm? It's basically just creating a weak magic mist throughout the building. In Equestria, some places use that like a burglar alarm, and an actual wizard can use it to do remote casting."
Building an area of effect without having to maintain an expensive spell? Clever, certainly.

I nod. "Because their magic is already there, and the structure of the building supports it."

"Right. And there's a bunch of other stuff you can do with it, like making it so your books spontaneously combust if they leave that area. This is all bare minimum, I-am-actually-a-wizard-and-not-just-copying-things-out-of-a-book stuff."
Perfect for luring in overconfident 'masters' looking to beat up on a little guy, huh?

"Demonic? Orderly?"

"It's too simple to really have a domain. But the other stuff is… Really fascinating. So, normally, when you create a spell you tie it to a place or an object. But-."
Even if that binding is merely a targetting effect, so you can drop a fireball on it.

"But this is tied to the general space defined by the simple spell. I'm not a complete neophyte, Sunset."

"No, smartass. It's not. It's just that that area is the only thing it can effect. As far as… All of the sophisticated spells go, that's their entire universe. There is nothing else. It's so much a part of them that I don't think I could make them do something else without taking them completely apart."
That's... Actually damn clever. Probably makes it very energy efficient to do what it does.

"And that part has a domain?"

"Oh yeah." She shudders, and nods at the stream of the damned. "Screaming souls in torment, all the way. I'm… Not completely sure, but I think that part extends into Hell as well."
...Or maybe another realm. One Satanus has ties to.

"The damned souls do rather suggest that."

Though… Are souls in purgatory really damned in the technical sense? From the way Sergeant Wu described going into the next circle in as a one-way journey-. Ah, but she didn't say whether that was because she'd have never been allowed out by the far stronger demons or because it wasn't possible to get out once she'd made that choice.
Oh, that's a whole cauldron of worms, in terms of theological conundrums...

Okay, so let's… Assume that Satanus is getting souls from another circle of Hell and using those. He doesn't have any personal presence in other parts of Hell -everyone I asked seemed insulted at the idea- so he isn't gathering them himself. That leaves trade and pacts with the living. Satanus doesn't have the infrastructure in Hell to support cults -that requires a whole host of minor demons to doll out minor boons, otherwise you cheapen the appeal of the major demon- so while he might have a cult leader somewhere under a major pact who has a high cultist neophyte turnover…
...Or he has a discreet, obscurely-worded clause in paperwork everyone fills out, deep in the fine print.

It's far more likely that he's trading something to someone who does. Or has access to one of the other circles. But the nobility hate him, and while I doubt someone like Mammon would flat out refuse to trade with him, they would charge him well over the odds. And Mammon has more than enough worshippers to properly price up the goods and services for the mortal plane, so he couldn't take advantage of being the sole supplier.
Definitely points to him using Purgatory as a power source for this stuff.

"Grayven?"

"Hm? Oh, sorry, trying to work out what he's doing with his spells. Carry on?"
Cui Bono. How does he profit from all this... Whatever he's doing.

"I don't think it goes to Hell. I've done some work on detecting demon summing rituals for the D.E.A., and it doesn't feel like they do."

"Purgatory?"
Yes, it does seem logical, doesn't it?

Sunset shrugs. "I don't know how different that feels."

"Mother Box, hush tube."
Heh. Clever way to taste-test a particular magical signature.

"Ping."

A small portal opens next to me. "Try that."
"Not a problem, dear. Fortunately, that realm is not affected by this spell... I think."

Sunset wiggles her right fore and middle fingers at it, then waves her forefinger to close it.

"Yes, that's it exactly."
So, easily confirmed on that end. Still the question of what it does and why is it doing it?

So… They are coming from Purgatory? Or that system isn't the bit that draws the damned soul into it. Or is he channelling damned souls out of other parts of Hell and into his own more homely domain. Oh, I don't know.

"What is the spell actually doing?"
Still not enough information to know for sure.

"Lots of things. And it's not one spell, it's a whole system. There are spells for monitoring people, spells for taking small amounts of power from everyone-."

"What would the effect be on people inside the building?"
And does it qualify as a criminal level of theft? Is it willing or unwilling? Knowing or not, if the contract clause thing I suggested is really a thing...

"Ah… They'd be a bit less magically powerful, so… They'd feel a bit more tired, recover a bit more slowly from injuries and be worse at magic. Legally, it's like committing hundreds of cases of assault every day."

I smile. Good. And this is expert testimony. Simple Assault in New York has a maximum sentence of one year in prison, so if the prosecution could prove a remorseless pattern of behaviour then Satanus could be imprisoned indefinitely. But with regard to my work in Hell, that's just leverage.
Hmm... To hold over Satanus' head, or to suggest that he license the design of the spells to Hell for nefarious purposes?

Until the month is up.

And perhaps once the job is done, you'll come looking for Mister Thornton with an arrest warrant, hmm? Or at least have a reason to investigate deeper.

And no doubt one of the spells involved can detect the intent of visitors, to prevent spying, corporate or otherwise.

...Like, say, a class of demon you've encountered quite recently...

Well, isn't that just a damned clever way of messing with people and gaining both spiritual energy en masse and potentially staining their souls just enough that they're more likely to be headed downstairs, hmm? Especially since from the sound of it, they're not even aware of the magical effects being forced on them. :sneaky: What a devilish idea...

I suppose it might have had that and then turned it off."
Double Space there.

Well, isn't that just a damned clever way of messing with people and gaining both spiritual energy en masse and potentially staining their souls just enough that they're more likely to be headed downstairs, hmm? Especially since from the sound of it, they're not even aware of the magical effects being forced on them. :sneaky: What a devilish idea

Yeah, I mean even discarding the magic in place, tabloid magazines essentially lie all the time, so it's a nice way to get them to damn themselves in a way that's unexpected.

I'm now reminded of an episode on Reaper where the Devil takes Sam to a corporate building and takes him to his base of operations there.

The place is full of demons and humans that work for him and their job is to basically get the humans upstairs in the rest of the building to damn themselves by doing stereotypical corporate things like stealing money, doing drugs, having affairs etc.

Heck, Sam, the mc, basically gets a promotion later on because his boss thought he killed a guy, even though it was an accident and the guy was trying to kill him.

I wouldn't put it past Stanatus to have him employees consent to giving away magical energy in his employment contract.

He can argue that in court for infinity years long probably.

Feels a bit strange that Grayven is focusing so much on bringing down Satanus when, to my eyes, there are other parts of hell that are more inefficient and/or equally malignant. Is it because he has an established foothold on Earth with a secret identity? Or is it precisely because he seems like the, generally, more competent of the Demon Lords?

And Happy New Year everyone!

Feels a bit strange that Grayven is focusing so much on bringing down Satanus when, to my eyes, there are other parts of hell that are more inefficient and/or equally malignant. Is it because he has an established foothold on Earth with a secret identity? Or is it precisely because he seems like the, generally, more competent of the Demon Lords?

And Happy New Year everyone!
His pact with the First isn't to bring anyone down, it's to make Hell more effective. To do that, he has to understand what the most effective part is doing differently.

-that requires a whole host of minor demons to doll out minor boons, otherwise you cheapen the appeal of the major demon- so while he might have a cult leader somewhere under a major pact who has a high cultist neophyte turnover…
'dole out'?
I've done some work on detecting demon summing rituals for the D.E.A., and it doesn't feel like they do."
'summoning'? Might be slang.

For some reason I really enjoy whenever there's explanation of magic in this story.

I'd note here, that he almost certainly would have have had anyone working in a building sign a legal waiver.

Though Zoat will likely miss that.

Hellish Consent (part 3)
1st October 2010
19:45 GMT -5

Artemis is looking around…

Suspiciously. She doesn't trust you.

Well, yes, if she was an idiot I wouldn't be interested in her to this degree.

"Planet Krypton? A superhero-themed restaurant?"

No, she doesn't need me to confirm the evidence of her eyes. She's asking me to explain my reasoning.

"You eat at fast food restaurants enough that it wouldn't be special, but a high-class restaurant would just make you feel out of place. This is good enough to be memorable without being overwhelming."

She looks critically at a woman wearing a Black Canary costume which Black Canary hasn't worn in years. It's not even a good copy.

"You know it's… Kinda creepy when you say stuff like that, right?"

I sigh. "I… Would you prefer it if I lied?"

"A normal person would say 'I like the food'."

"I've never eaten here before."

She flaps her right arm. "Then why aren't we somewhere you have been before?"

"Because..? I like the food?"

Good try, sport.

"Are you sure you're not a robot?"

"Yes. I check daily."

She splutters with laughter. "You know, with you I can actually believe that."

"The reviews are reasonable and… That wasn't the main consideration, like I said. How's your mother doing?"

"It… I mean, she can't walk yet. Doctor says she should be able to stand unaided in a few days, and once she starts exercising she should start walking in a week or two."

A waiter in a Flash costume with fake abdominal muscles walks over. "Do you have a reservation?"

I nod. "I put it under 'Earthworm Jim."

He checks his phone. "Ah… Yeah, you're on table seven in Wonder Woman's zone." He wiggles his eyebrows at me.

I don't react, but Artemis raises her eyebrows. "Pretty brave, wearing that costume."

"Metropolis doesn't have a 'Hooters'. Please follow me."

He leads the way across the restaurant, and I take the time to review the food and the hygiene status of the kitchen. I mean, the inspection results were good but the day I trust anyone's cleaning except my own-.

Is the day I can retire, because you'll be cured.

That nearly makes me stop and stare at the ring.

I am not a disease.

Not what I meant, sport.

The kitchen is pretty good, but the food… More effort spent on presentation than on ingredients, and their suppliers have done that American thing of shoving toxic crap into everything. About what I expected honestly, but I'm going to see if I can take her to somewhere in a civilised country next time.

Ah, optimism.

What, having high food safety standards? If both Britain and France agree on something then it's probably a good idea.

Just try your best.

Flash-waiter leaves us after nodding to Wonder Woman-waitress, who's about a foot shorter and appreciably flabbier than actual Wonder Woman, even wearing those heels. She hands us our menus.

"Anything to drink?"

Can Americans mess up milk? Yes, of course they can. Just-. Just order something and then change it.

Artemis is frowning at me. "Ah… Cola."

I fix my face in a polite smile. "Banana milkshake, please."

She nods and turns away. "I'll be back in a few."

Artemis waits until she gets half-way to the kitchens and then leans towards me. "What was that?"

"What was what?"

"You nearly went crazy over the drinks menu."

"The perils of actually knowing what goes into the food you eat and drink. I mean, cola should just be sugar, water and kola nut, but there's a whole list of things that get added and most of them aren't really designed for the human body."

"Ah… You didn't say anything when I drank cola in the base?"

"Red label or blue label?"

"What's the difference?"

"The blue label is the stuff I bought in a country with better food standards, the red label is what I made myself."

"Oh. Ah, red. Tasted pretty good. Didn't realise you were such a food-. Guy."

I shake my head. "If you'd seen the things I'd seen, you'd understand."

"It's not bad, I just-. You usually hang out in your lab, and then when we went to India to fight those snake men you told Mia to stop breaking arms because breaking their necks was more efficient."

"Yes?"

"I mean it's-. A different side of you. And…" She takes a deep breath. "How..? Serious are you?"

"Completely, about everything."

"I mean, dating me. You come across… Really… Inhuman. And creepy."

"I.. know. I'm working on it."

"'cause… When you said 'date'-."

"You thought that I was holding your mother to ransom for sexual favours." She blanches, then gives a small nod. "I wasn't. I do want to have sex with you; you are an extremely attractive young woman. But blackmailing you into it would be such a short term.. thing, I just… Don't see the point. It doesn't get me what I want."

"Which is..?"

"A long term relationship, shared interests and time together, marriage, two point four children-. Probably rounded up to three. Gradually rising to the apex of our open and secret professional lives before transcending mortality entirely and-."

Something about her facial expression makes me stop.

"'Inhuman'?"

"Started good. Not a lot of guys our age bring up marriage on the second date. Guess you… Are serious, huh?"

"Yes."

"Okay, so-. Explain the ring-thing to me."

Well, yes, if she was an idiot I wouldn't be interested in her to this degree

Real charmer.

"Yes. I check daily

Given your previous scientific tests resulted in you turning into a monster, maybe you should let someone else check you out.

I am not a disease.

Not what I meant, sport

But it is more accurate than you know.

"I.. know. I'm working on it

And like the food you dislike, you're working more on your presentation rather than actually changing the underlying issues.

Last edited:
1st October 2010
19:45 GMT -5

Well, yes, if she was an idiot I wouldn't be interested in her to this degree.

"Planet Krypton? A superhero-themed restaurant?"

No, she doesn't need me to confirm the evidence of her eyes. She's asking me to explain my reasoning.

"You eat at fast food restaurants enough that it wouldn't be special, but a high-class restaurant would just make you feel out of place. This is good enough to be memorable without being overwhelming."

She looks critically at a woman wearing a Black Canary costume which Black Canary hasn't worn in years. It's not even a good copy.

"You know it's… Kinda creepy when you say stuff like that, right?"

I sigh. "I… Would you prefer it if I lied?"

"A normal person would say 'I like the food'."

"I've never eaten here before."

She flaps her right arm. "Then why aren't we somewhere you have been before?"

"Because..? I like the food?"

Good try, sport.

"Yes. I check daily."

She splutters with laughter. "You know, with you I can actually believe that."

"The reviews are reasonable and… That wasn't the main consideration, like I said. How's your mother doing?"

"It… I mean, she can't walk yet. Doctor says she should be able to stand unaided in a few days, and once she starts exercising she should start walking in a week or two."

A waiter in a Flash costume with fake abdominal muscles walks over. "Do you have a reservation?"

I nod. "I put it under 'Earthworm Jim."

He checks his phone. "Ah… Yeah, you're on table seven in Wonder Woman's zone." He wiggles his eyebrows at me.

I don't react, but Artemis raises her eyebrows. "Pretty brave, wearing that costume."

"Metropolis doesn't have a 'Hooters'. Please follow me."

He leads the way across the restaurant, and I take the time to review the food and the hygiene status of the kitchen. I mean, the inspection results were good but the day I trust anyone's cleaning except my own-.

I am not a disease.

Not what I meant, sport.

The kitchen is pretty good, but the food… More effort spent on presentation than on ingredients, and their suppliers have done that American thing of shoving toxic crap into everything. About what I expected honestly, but I'm going to see if I can take her to somewhere in a civilised country next time.

Ah, optimism.

What, having high food safety standards? If both Britain and France agree on something then it's probably a good idea.

Just try your best.

Flash-waiter leaves us after nodding to Wonder Woman-waitress, who's about a foot shorter and appreciably flabbier than actual Wonder Woman, even wearing those heels. She hands us our menus.

"Anything to drink?"

Can Americans mess up milk? Yes, of course they can. Just-. Just order something and then change it.

Artemis is frowning at me. "Ah… Cola."

I fix my face in a polite smile. "Banana milkshake, please."

She nods and turns away. "I'll be back in a few."

Artemis waits until she gets half-way to the kitchens and then leans towards me. "What was that?"

"What was what?"

"You nearly went crazy over the drinks menu."

"The perils of actually knowing what goes into the food you eat and drink. I mean, cola should just be sugar, water and kola nut, but there's a whole list of things that get added and most of them aren't really designed for the human body."

"Ah… You didn't say anything when I drank cola in the base?"

"Red label or blue label?"

"What's the difference?"

"The blue label is the stuff I bought in a country with better food standards, the red label is what I made myself."

"Oh. Ah, red. Tasted pretty good. Didn't realise you were such a food-. Guy."

I shake my head. "If you'd seen the things I'd seen, you'd understand."

"It's not bad, I just-. You usually hang out in your lab, and then when we went to India to fight those snake men you told Mia to stop breaking arms because breaking their necks was more efficient."

"Yes?"

"I mean it's-. A different side of you. And…" She takes a deep breath. "How..? Serious are you?"

"Completely, about everything."

"I.. know. I'm working on it."

"'cause… When you said 'date'-."

"You thought that I was holding your mother to ransom for sexual favours." She blanches, then gives a small nod. "I wasn't. I do want to have sex with you; you are an extremely attractive young woman. But blackmailing you into it would be such a short term.. thing, I just… Don't see the point. It doesn't get me what I want."

"Which is..?"

"A long term relationship, shared interests and time together, marriage, two point four children-. Probably rounded up to three. Gradually rising to the apex of our open and secret professional lives before transcending mortality entirely and-."

Something about her facial expression makes me stop.

"'Inhuman'?"

"Started good. Not a lot of guys our age bring up marriage on the second date. Guess you… Are serious, huh?"

"Yes."

"Okay, so-. Explain the ring-thing to me."
I swear, my fascination with this timeline grows stronger with every update to it. There's something about this... morally warped/devoid perspective and his interactions that absolutely captivates me to read. In some ways, it feels like him but also just far enough off from what would be morally acceptable. And the ring's commentary is a delight XD

Well, she knows he's serious? But honestly, there's no point dating someone once you realise you wouldn't want to marry them.

I disagree.

Lots of people date and have no intention of marrying the other person.

They may just do it because they enjoy the others company, but aren't interested in such a commitment.

They may find the other person interesting and fun, but they may not necessarily have the characteristics you're looking for in a partner that you're most likely going to be living with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back