• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

14th August 2013
Morning
A few minutes later

Humans. They're… Humans.
Huh. Okay, so it looks like it is Stargate. But Movie or Television series? There are slight differences between them, after all. Either way, this Alt!Paul may have to watch out for wandering Goa'uld, depending on timing...

Dad's a biology teacher, so there might be something that's different between them and… Humans-. From Earth, but as far as my scans can tell, they're human. Their buildings look… Are primitive, and while the people look North African to me they're living at latitudes that mean that the building styles from that part of the world wouldn't make sense and so they aren't using them. They're living on the continent with the underground palace I just raided. All of their towns are closer to the palace than the coast, and there aren't any settlements on the planet's other continents.
Presumably said palace was the hall of their master, buried during some manner of attack.

I try rotating the planet in my mind, trying to work out whether I'm looking at an Earth that's been rotated ninety degrees or something. No, doesn't look like it. Ah. Pangaea? Ring, map continental shelves?

A series of orange lines appear in my visual field, overlaying parts of the planet. Okay, so if that moves in or out…
Of course, you're assuming that the planet has significant continental drift. Not every world is so tectonically active as Earth.

No.

Where am I? When am I? How did-?
Many questions, few answers...

Ring… Any debris around here?

The lines vanish, and space around me lights up with orange pinpricks.
Hmm. Bit of a mess up here. Perhaps this world was once held by this Mammon, but he, she or it was driven off.

Anything that could be part of a ship?

Most of them vanish.
Definite traces of a battle, then.

Show me.

An orange shape appears in front of me. It-. Alright, there's a straight edge that doesn't look natural, but I could just be a crystalline structure that is naturally straight. We didn't do a lot of stellar dynamics in G.C.S.E. Science Double Award, and that was a decade ago.
I'm guessing part of the power core? Not that he'd recognise it as such.

Scroll on.

No. No. No. … Maybe? Ugh, no actual ship and nothing big enough to give me any kind of lead.
Methinks you're looking in the wrong direction for now...

This…

Ring, dismiss, go back to showing meThat settlement, there, on the edge of their civilisation.
Which probably isn't that far from a Gate. Goa'uld don't like their pets to spread out, after all.

Local morning, looks like it's early in the farming season. The men are out ploughing or otherwise working in the fields while the women are working around the farmhouses. Children… Oh, it looks like there's a school of some sort. Or possibly a church? Doesn't look like there's a local baron, so I'm not really sure how they're organised. On the other hand, they're a unified culture with no neighbours, so they probably don't need to worry about war, and between that and the.. lack of easily transferable money, crime rates are probably quite low. I don't see any guards.
Interesting. Medieval society, except for the collective schooling thing.

An isolated village is a decent place to find out about how their civilisation works, because if I do something wrong they're probably not going to be able to tell anyone else. But I'm visibly a different ethnicity from the people there. Any of the people on the planet, in fact. And while I could just say that I'm from the other side of the continent I don't know what they call it.
Not like they're any threat to you, certainly. So if they're hostile, you can just fly off.

Or I could try a larger town.

Huh.
Might draw a little too much unwanted attention. Just turning up in a town that's likely the centre of a controlled region might be suspicious. Especially if there's any controls on travel.

Britain had roads thanks to the Romans, and that was the peak of our transportation networks until we started building canals and turnpikes over a thousand years later. Here, they've got roads that look they're made with clay bricks. Miles and miles of them, linking the largest towns with better roads than I was really expecting. They don't extend outwards, and the villages are connected to the network by dirt tracks, so… It's expensive and not worth doing for low traffic volumes? Sure, clay bricks aren't a super-advanced technology, I'm not seeing anything totally anachronistic. Still a bit of a surprise, though.
Presumably they're at least using iron tools, not bronze?

The towns themselves…

Okay, those are animal pens. That's a market town. That one… Mining, ore processing and forging? The streets are… Cleaner than I was expecting. Good night soil collection? Scan for… Shit. Oh, they actually have sewers, that's fairly impressive. And it takes it to… Ah, some sort of building. The design appears to be standard in all of the towns so I assume they're doing something with it. Making it into fertilizer, perhaps?
Can't have the slaves killing themselves with their own dirty habits, after all </goa'uld>

Doesn't matter.

Hard to tell, but it doesn't look like there's a lot of daily movement between the towns and the villages. But why would there be? Commuting isn't practical at this level of development and it doesn't look like it's market day. But there are definite differences in the styles of dress in the towns, whereas people in the villages are mostly dressed the same as each other, and-. Yes, in the southern parts of the continent nearer the pole hooded cloaks are common enough that I could probably walk around without anyone noticing anything out of the ordinary.
And it's easy enough for you to copy 'rich folk' clothes and pretend to be a dumb noble...

And ask them what? And ask who?

I-. Oh, getting paralysed by indecision isn't getting me anywhere, and there's no way I can work out what the 'right' answer is. Pick a village, drop down completely openly-.
Ah, the classic 'Doctor Who' Approach. Though you lack the benefit of a TARDIS' natural disguising effect on clothing and speech.

I change my pyjamas into something a little more like what the wealthier-looking citizens wear.

Yes, that's better. Drop down-. No, drop down nearby and then walk into the village, wave and say 'hello' to people and generally make a point of acting harmless. Wait until the majority calm down, then… Try having an actual conversation. Not a great plan. Not even a good plan, probably, but it'll do.
Even if you will stand out like a pale sore thumb.

Eenie meenie miney mo-.

That'll do.

I turn face down and fly towards the village I was looking at. If I've got no idea which is best then I might as well pick the one I've been watching the longest.
Remember to turn the light down, or folks will be wondering about the orange falling star.

I know Lanterns can fly faster than light, but I don't think I want to try that while pointing at a planet. Fortunately, there seems to be some sort of built in system for not causing shockwaves when passing through an atmosphere at high speed. I found that out by accident when I went after the lantern and didn't check my speed, and I'm obviously rather glad. I don't think these people have gunpowder weapons, but a loud bang on a day with a clear sky would be fairly intimidating.
Oh, wait until you get the hang of FTL Transitions... :D

I wonder why that underground palace is there? Something from a prior civilisation? Did they go through a nuclear winter and recover to this level? If I looked more closely, would I see relics of the more advanced civilisation in private collections, or in the factories? Or would it be too long ago?

Okay, there's the treetops, slow down and manoeuvre… And land. Alright, it's early morning and the glow isn't that visible, so unless they were looking in exactly the right direction they probably didn't see me come in. Look harmless and walk.
And hopefully have a good story like 'Boy, how drunk did I get last night?'

I look at a tree as I approach it. The bark and leaf-shape looks sort of familiar, but I.. don't remember exactly what those look like on Earth trees. Same with the ferns growing around their base. They're ferns, and that's about all I can say.

More light leaks through the trees up ahead, and I can see where they've been cut down to make room for a field. The main track into the village is fairly close by, so I can just walk onto that-.
Ah, yes, the tendency of Goa'uld colonies to be set up in places that resemble southern California. :p

A man-. A young man in the field working with a hoe looks right at me as I come out of the woods. I raise my right arm in greeting, and after a slight delay he waves back before turning to another man a little further away and shouting something. I wave again and step out of cover entirely. They haven't bothered with a fence, not on land that's going to be planted, so I can just walk over to them and say 'hello'. If they want me off their land I can just leave.
Well, good thing you aren't trying to hide, since your environmental shield gives you that huge debuff to stealth.

"Good morning!"

The young man thrusts the hoe into the ground and leans on the shaft.
Good choice not to add anything. Don't know if they're friendly or not, after all, and you're clearly not a 'neighbour.'

"Good health, stranger. What brings-." His eyes fix on the ring for a moment. "Oh, sorry revered. I didn't see your sigil."

Oh, that's interesting. The lantern has the same design as my ring, but I didn't notice that anywhere else was using it. That's… Part of their religion?
I bet the local Goa'uld took it as their icon.

"That's fine." I walk to within more polite talking distance, but don't get too close just in case that's threatening. "I'm afraid that I've gotten quite lost. Could you please tell me where I-"

His eyes widen and he falls on his face in genuflection. Huh? I look over to his father and a second later he does the same.

"-am?"
Oh, boy. Paul, you probably just flared your shield. And around this galaxy, glowy thing usually mean trouble.

So, off to a great start with the locals. Hopefully they take you as an official of a Goa'uld lord, and treat you well. It doesn't look like there was any kind of rebellion, or they'd have been a lot more wary. Wonder when this is, though. Can we expect to be meeting an SG team sometime soon, then? And which team, I wonder...

Last edited:
Huh. Okay, so it looks like it is Stargate. But Movie or Television series? There are slight differences between them, after all. Either way, this Alt!Paul may have to watch out for wandering Goa'uld, depending on timing...
Or Zoat could get wild and use the original Book spinoffs.

The only Goa'uld he would have to watch out for are Anubis and maybe Ra.

Everyone else is easily killable with a power ring.

if he's in stargate, and that hasn't been confirmed yet! then there's a simple solution to all his problems branding or ...i think its called identity assimilation? i haven't really kept up with WTR.

if he's in stargate, and that hasn't been confirmed yet! then there's a simple solution to all his problems branding or ...i think its called identity assimilation? i haven't really kept up with WTR.
Anubis and potentially Ra should be immune.

Replicators would just eat any attempt and then every Replicator in the Universe would start hunting his Ring. And well, they're faster then him so that would be a very short story.

Attempting that on the Wraith wouldn't really get him anything other than alerting the Wraith to his existence.

The Asurans should be immune.

The Ori and their Priors should be immune.

The various rogue Ancients still around should have defenses, or be immune.

Not like they're any threat to you, certainly. So if they're hostile, you can just fly off.

That's not necessarily true.

Remember the episode where they ended up in that Medieval Christian village and the priest had a device that could shoot lightning?

Even if this society is low tech, there may be some pieces of tech that they can use that could probably cause him trouble.

Though once this version gets a handle on his ring there shouldn't be a lot of things that can harm him.

The Goa'uld would all be fairly easy to deal with, even Anubus.

The only thing I can think of that can potentially actually harm or kill him is the Ori.

The Goa'uld would all be fairly easy to deal with, even Anubus.
Trying to use a Power Ring to deal with Anubis would be stupid.

Remember, he exists under the heavy restriction of having the knowledge of the Ascended, but only being able to use what knowledge he could learn as a Goa'uld.

But there's loopholes to that. One of the big ones being he can possess people.

The only thing I can think of that can potentially actually harm or kill him is the Ori.
And the Replicators, Asurans, Ancients, and Wraith Queens.

Also a couple of the Aliens of the week.

If it is Stargate can't wait to see Paul start uplifting people. Either way he needs to scan the planet for any tech.

That was bad because it modified his mind, not his body.
I think the confusion here is that while the SI did make changes to his body with the formula, it resulted in significant mental alterations as a byproduct.

I believe Zoat is implying that mucking around with his own genetics could have similar results.

While he'll certainly try, the goa'uld don't leave manuals lying around and he doesn't have the scientific understanding to reverse engineer quickly.
Time to assimilate a Snake. (Whenever the SI eventually runs into one, if these people aren't Jaffa.)

While the average Goa'uld isn't too great a scientist, they DO have that 'genetic memory of all previous goa'uld in their lineage'. So it'd be a good start, since a goa'uld usually at least understands the common goa'uld technology so they can lord it over all the peasant human / Jaffa.

Last edited:
Time to assimilate a Snake. (Whenever the SI eventually runs into one, if these people aren't Jaffa.)

While the average Goa'uld isn't too great a scientist, they DO have that 'genetic memory of all previous goa'uld in their lineage'. So it'd be a good start, since a goa'uld usually at least understands the common goa'uld technology so they can lord it over all the peasant human / Jaffa.
What did we just-? Do you remember what happens when a human get's a goa'uld's genetic memory? There were multiple episodes on what a bad idea it was.

What did we just-? Do you remember what happens when a human get's a goa'uld's genetic memory? There were multiple episodes on what a bad idea it was.
I talking about the RING ripping the scientific know-how from the now construct's memories. Making a database off that info. What X and y do, how they work, how to repair, how to operate, etc.

edit: oh, you mean Daniel going megalomaniac cause they got that technological information?

That was a dumb plot line, and is undermined since they did basically the same thing just with reverse engineering throughout the series.

Just for some reason Goa'uld genetic memory sourced stuff is 'tainted' but it's never actually explained why.

edit edit: actually the SI would need to have the construct TELL him everything. I forgot that the SI would have to go through the memories himself.

better to just have a floating snake explain everything.

Last edited:
I talking about the RING ripping the scientific know-how from the now construct's memories. Making a database off that info. What X and y do, how they work, how to repair, how to operate, etc.
That's not a thing Orange Rings can do in this setting.

Paul might wish it was, but no, it's everything or nothing with construct memories.

edit: oh, you mean Daniel going megalomaniac cause they got that technological information?

That was a dumb plot line, and is undermined since they did basically the same thing just with reverse engineering throughout the series.

Just for some reason Goa'uld genetic memory sourced stuff is 'tainted' but it's never actually explained why.

edit edit: actually the SI would need to have the construct TELL him everything. I forgot that the SI would have to go through the memories himself.

better to just have a floating snake explain everything.
And Anna.

You know, this is completely unrelated to the latest chapter, but I've been doing some rereading and I'm desperate to know.

How strong is Darkseid compared to Hephaestean?

The new god of technology could beat Zeus, and in the comics Zeus was almost as big a deal as Darkseid, so how strong is the contrast there?

I did consider them, but I never read those books.
A shame, they're well worth a read through.

I wouldn't call them amazing, but they're solid. And a lot of the ideas they explore are very interesting. It's a real shame that some of the setpieces from them never got stolen adapted into the SG-1 stuff. Seeing some of them on screen would have been a treat.

What did we just-? Do you remember what happens when a human get's a goa'uld's genetic memory? There were multiple episodes on what a bad idea it was

The various Paul's have assimilated some horrible beings without suffering any mental taint.

How strong is Darkseid compared to Hephaestean?

The new god of technology could beat Zeus, and in the comics Zeus was almost as big a deal as Darkseid, so how strong is the contrast there?

It may not come down to pure power level like in DBZ.

It can involve things like certain advantages the other has.

Darkseid has the Anti-Life Equation, so even if Heph was stronger than him the Equation may screw him up.

Kinda like how if someone has Kryptonite then they can beat Superman, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the person is physically stronger than Superman.

The various Paul's have assimilated some horrible beings without suffering any mental taint.

Grayven had trouble with the sheer size of Savage memories.

And that was when only a single person with a long life, compared to every pair of parents and their parents etc. memories going back 10,000 years (or more if you count pre Unas times).

I could see it being a problem.

Grayven had trouble with the sheer size of Savage memories.

And that was when only a single person with a long life, compared to every pair of parents and their parents etc. memories going back 10,000 years (or more if you count pre Unas times).

I could see it being a problem.
Grayven also had Fatherbox and his New Godness to help him.

Pull that with a regular human, well, I doubt there would have been anything left of the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back