• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Z-E-R-O (part 18)
2nd January
15:15 GMT -7

"You're the what?"

Wait. Someone with superpowers and a stupid name suddenly appears. Was.. the librarian whose name I didn't get the guy all along?

**I am the Scintillating Psionist and you will respect me!**

Pale pink lights shimmer under the skin of his brain and-. People stop running, their bodies locking up.

**Answer my question!**

"Okay. No need to do anything hasty."

Neural chaff grenades as a possibility, but against a non-standard neural structure I can't be confident they would work. And the few nonhumanoid telepaths on record are noted as being able to do things with their abilities that humanoids flat out can't. Star Conquerors couldn't function with humanoid minds, and M'gann's abilities have come on in leaps and bounds since she stopped restricting herself.

Worse, I don't know what would happen to the people he's connected to. There are ways to accidentally fry people's brains when you're hooked up like this. To say nothing of the neural programs that he could have inserted. Doing things like that should take years to learn, but whatever else the dial does it appears to give at least some people an intuitive understanding of what they can do.

"I don't know who has the dial. The last person I know of who had it was so surprised by their transformation that they accidentally threw it off a bridge, and we haven't been able to find it since."

The 'Scintillating Psionist' considers this for a moment.

**Reveal your mind to me!**

Selective revelation is possible against a humanoid telepath. Or at least I could stick my barriers back up if something untoward was happening. Against a being like this… I don't like my chances of pulling something like that off.

"Why?"

**I want the dial!**

I squint. No, no you don't. You want something, but it isn't the dial.

"Okay, if you have some sort of documented proof that it's your property, I'll return it to you just as soon as the current user has disconnected themselves."

**Unacceptable! Who dares to use the dial!?**

"They didn't realise what it was. And they very much want to stop using it. They didn't mean to offend you, and I'm sure they're very sorry about the whole situation."

**The dial is useless while they use its power!**

That's a relief. We don't have to worry about a mad serial killer getting hold of it or something.

"Then you've got every reason to want them to disconnect willingly, haven't you?"

**I will have the truth from your mind!**

"Looking into my mind wouldn't show you the difference between false memories and genuine ones."

I take a hologram projector out of subspace and… Create an image of Mr Hamill's current form, taking care to alter her facial appearance.

"The woman in question came to the Justice League looking like this."

Another wave of colour passes under the brain's… 'Skin'. Any observable-?

I spot a woman who had been frozen between steps regain at least some ability to move as she looks up in growing horror at…

Ring, what is the librarian's name?

Local government personnel records list him as 'Jonathan Dow'.

Jon Do-? Really. How long has he worked here?

Approximately thirty years.

Fair enough, then. The woman looks up at me for a moment, and I make an urgent 'push away' gesture with my right hand. She takes the hint and starts creeping away from our confrontation, and I notice a handful of others doing the same. Good. I don't know what sort of range Mr Dow has, but if they can get out of it then-.

**I can't find her!**

Everyone freezes again, and I don't think it's from fear. How much range does he have? A telepathic life form of that size… Star Conquerors with brains that size were proved to be able to operate across a continent…

"Yes. The dial grants powers at random, doesn't it? I found it had several curious interactions with my rings. I did wonder if it was perhaps due to transformed individuals not being there in the conventional sense."

**Where is she?!**

"Mister Dow-."

**I am the Scintillating Psionist now!**

"Scintillating Psionist, why do you want to know where she is?"

**So that I can recover the Dial!**

"And then what?"

**That is not your concern!**

"Scintillating Psionist, I'm perfectly happy to return your property to you, but I can't in good conscience give you the location of someone you're simply going to attack. If you would like to accompany us during our search, we'd be happy to have you along. And as I've said, if you can prove that you own the dial then we will return it to you."

**Give! Me! The! D-!**

"Oh God, Jon, what have you done to yourself?"

A woman stares out from the hole in the wall in horror. That would be… Patricia Birchall, the other librarian.

**I am completing our mission! The Dial belongs to the Master!**

I check, and a portion of the crowd are once again trying to make themselves scarce. Okay, good. He isn't facing my way but… Yes, I can feel the weak telekinetic field he's using in place of sensory organs. What do I do? I could try suppressing his desires, but I don't know if he'd realise what I was doing. And frankly his desire network looks weird.

"Jon, it's been decades-."

**That doesn't matter! I can't live like this any more!**

Ring, can we… Analyse his current physiology?

Analysis complete.

Oh great, even my ring isn't sure how that thing is functioning. Okay, assume that a lot of the work is offloaded onto whatever dial he just used… I just need to shut down his telepathy.

"Jon, just-. Just use the dial again, and we can sort this out."

Reconfiguring neural shock generator, ready filament-based area evacuation.

Compliance.

**You're just distracting me.** The brain turns back in my direction. Is the telepathy direction-restricted? **TELL ME WHERE IT-!**

I trigger the generator.

Last edited:
Wait. Someone with superpowers and a stupid named suddenly appears.
Wait. Someone with superpowers and a stupid name suddenly appears.

...I'll return it to you just as soon as the current user as disconnected themselves."
...I'll return it to you just as soon as the current user has disconnected themselves."

That's a relief. We don't have to worry about a mad serial killer getting hold of it or something.
Which has likely happened at some point...

It the telepathy direction-restricted?
Is the telepathy direction-restricted?

This is getting good... Or bad... We'll see soon enough, I suspect.

Last edited:
Huuuuuh. He can't live like that? Interesting implications...

Huuuuuh. He can't live like that? Interesting implications...

Unless this is suddenly a Dr Who crossover, the Master in question was Robbie Reed's geneticist mook maker persona.

So this guy was probably decanted out of a tube and programmed for loyalty.

Which has likely happened at some point...

Well it did in the comics anyway, the guy got a transformation that made Superman look like someone who wasn't trying hard enough.

Kind of a weird restriction for Zoat to add to it though.

Superheroing is a dangerous occupation, people have used it and then not been alive to dial back in the comics.

Unless this is suddenly a Dr Who crossover, the Master in question was Robbie Reed's geneticist mook maker persona.

So this guy was probably decanted out of a tube and programmed for loyalty.

Which explains the hinky nature of his 'desire network' as OL put it...

Well it did in the comics anyway, the guy got a transformation that made Superman look like someone who wasn't trying hard enough.

Kind of a weird restriction for Zoat to add to it though.

Superheroing is a dangerous occupation, people have used it and then not been alive to dial back in the comics.

The Dial likely has a failsafe for that condition... Like an Idle-out condition on the part of the user, or a life-sign tracker...

**TELL ME WHERE IT-!**

I trigger the generator.
Next Chapter
SimplisticNimbleHerring-size_restricted.gif

Neural chaff grenades as a possibility, but against a non-standard neural structure I can't be confident they would work. And the few nonhumanoid telepaths on record are noted as being able to do things with their abilities that humanoids flat out can't. Star Conquerors couldn't function with humanoid minds, and M'gann's abilities have come on in leaps and bounds since she stopped restricting herself.
Reads a bit odd, "developed in" might work better.

y direction. Is the telepathy direction-restricted? **TELL ME WHERE IT-!**
Wait. Someone with superpowers and a stupid name suddenly appears.

...I'll return it to you just as soon as the current user as disconnected themselves."
...I'll return it to you just as soon as the current user has disconnected themselves.
Thank you, corrected.
Reads a bit odd, "developed in" might work better.
Makes sense to me.

Boss Smiley "messed" with Paul's head, sure, but that doesn't mean mind control. Simply planting the idea in his head that it could be harmful, which can be done simply through talking, would have both the demonstrated effect and would match Boss Smiley's visible actions.
That said - couldn't talking as a soul have more meaning? EG if he agrees to something in his soul form, it gets written into his soul, not his mind. So since he agreed to be more careful when talking to smiley (remember he was specifically trying to get verbal admission), he might be sort of soul-controlled? More importantly, they were already in a brainwashing machine, so him saying something might lock down the soul patterns thinking it or something.

Last edited:
If OL was a shonen hero the he would have at LEAST 3 different (generic) super forms by now. Plus, he would have discarded the power of Avarice for....bravery or something. Plus, his HP gauge is clearly not covered by your standard DETERMINATION! shield. Otherwise the War Angel would not have been able to kill him....have to get past the DETERMINATION! first.
Why? All his abilities are literally based off of greed. If he was a determinator he would be a green lantern. DETERMINATION is essentially willpower. His shield being made of WANT! Is close enough. As for his 3 forms we have: para-Paul, snake-Paul, and gray-Paul all of which are fairly generic, with full snake being confirmed in future. Gray-Paul already has discarded avarice for fear, which also gets powered by courage/ understanding one's own fear and overcoming it as explained when he fought yellow ALT! Guy Gardner. He is a britishized Shounen-hero in an American world and it all comes together so well.
Also, shounen heroes die all the time without it truly sticking. Take for example Goku in Dragon Ball Z.

Last edited:
Why? All his abilities are literally based off of greed. If he was a determinator he would be a green lantern. DETERMINATION is essentially willpower. His shield being made of WANT! Is close enough. As for his 3 forms we have: para-Paul, snake-Paul, and gray-Paul all of which are fairly generic, with full snake being confirmed in future. Gray-Paul already has discarded avarice for fear, which also gets powered by courage/ understanding one's own fear and overcoming it as explained when he fought yellow ALT! Guy Gardner. He is a britishized Shounen-hero in an American world and it all comes together so well.
Also, shounen heroes die all the time without it truly sticking. Take for example Goku in Dragon Ball Z.
Which is why he would have discarded his greed based abilities in season 2.

Besides, the DETERMINATION! Shield has nothing to do with actual shields.

"I broke your back!" "I'm DETERMINED!"

"There is a giant hole in your chest!" "You'll never make me give up!"

Your

"You can't hear. You can't see. You can't breathe. Your body is now literally dust."

"WANT!"
Epic robot /Mecha body transformation / upload sequence!
I'd say that's a preety strong DETERMINATION! shield. At that point Excalibris was probably in the cliche anime "Just DIE already!" Mode.

Last edited:
That's because you have English as a first language.

Are you implying some linguistic insanity on the part of us native English speakers? Just because we park on driveways and drive on parkways doesn't make us nuts you know. Or the whole "i before e except when it's not" thing. Or the rest of our spelling rules that all have exceptions for that matter. Or the fact that "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo." is a grammatically correct sentence.....

Actually, you know what? Native English speakers might be just a little crazy now that I'm thinking about it. Our language certainly is.

Learn what? 4 Green Lanterns have been puttering around on earth for years. OL himself spent a full year zapping around and...nothing? Nothing at all. So what shit does he have to figure out?

Oh, and what set all this off? Boss Smiley. Yeah, there is a trustworthy source.

You can't reverse stupidity and automatically get intelligence. Evil people telling you X doesn't mean that X is false. You'll note that he isn't assuming that transitioning is definitely bad; he's re-evaluating his previous assumption that it was definitely harmless, and since the people most likely to be harmed would be the ones he cares the most about, he's playing it safe until he can get better data.

Read hero.com and villain.net

Where do I find those?

Possible, but would you want to?
There are a few appearances listed here that I didn't already know about.
Thank you, corrected.

You can't reverse stupidity and automatically get intelligence. Evil people telling you X doesn't mean that X is false. You'll note that he isn't assuming that transitioning is definitely bad; he's re-evaluating his previous assumption that it was definitely harmless, and since the people most likely to be harmed would be the ones he cares the most about, he's playing it safe until he can get better data.
When you're an actively progressive person, pushing complex changes, magical and technological advances, and you are faced with an actively regressive person, who flat out tells you that he wants you to slow your shit down, because he doesn't like that. Who tries to manipulate you into a position of serving him in exchange for you being restored to life and the angelic hounds called off. I'd say that he's deliberately trying to sow doubt to sabotage your actions.

Considering the Smiley faced runes that the angels didn't know a thing about....Boss Smiley is clearly shady as fuck, and I'd say believing anything he had to say marks you out as gullible as hell.

Though I suppose that it's possible that the Boss Smiley that OL met was simply a manifestation of OL's fears that he might be doing damage.

I also admit that I don't actually see any positives, or negatives, as of yet with OL's behavior. It's just annoying. His ring is already so pitifully weak, requiring supported from half a dozen other pieces of tech, that him backing off even more just irks me.

Pfft....to someone filled with the power of DETERMINATION! Such wounds barely qualify as simple flesh wounds.

Question: Big fan of the story and I plan on continuing reading but the conversations OL was having about Mr. Hamill remind me so much of old arguments between me and my mother that I'd just rather skip them. It's been several updates since and I see in the most recent update there's no mention of him. Am I good to keep reading for now? Was that resolved or should I wait until Z-E-R-O is over?

Question: Big fan of the story and I plan on continuing reading but the conversations OL was having about Mr. Hamill remind me so much of old arguments between me and my mother that I'd just rather skip them. It's been several updates since and I see in the most recent update there's no mention of him. Am I good to keep reading for now? Was that resolved or should I wait until Z-E-R-O is over?
Sort of - as of 2 updates ago Mr Hamill is out of the story for now being looked after by Robin while OL is off to investigate the origin of the HERO dial. While Mr. Hamill was arrested leading to a conversation 3 updates ago about legal matters, then released, the latest few updates seem to be fine on that front leading to actual OL superhero action. It should be fine though it might come back up.

Thank you kindly, and thank you for the brief summary! Both are very appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back