• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

I thought that Saturnians were a colony of Martians.

Not exactly.

The Saturnians were genetically engineered by the Martians.

In their own image, so they are a lot alike, including all the same powers.

The White Martians made White Saturnians, the Green Martians made Red Saturnians.

The Saturnians in that storyline didn't respond to Jonn as kin but as the last of their gods walking among them (This is before DC introduced a bunch of White Martian survivors).

...Okay that's a bit weird. To me that implies that this might not be legit and might be some sort of mental trickery, if it's getting (essentially) exactly the same response for these very different SIs. I wonder if the "My ring" thing was the only memetic program on the ring (or if these ones have a different one, I suppose.)
Is entirely possible it's just slightly lazy writing but ^_^
They both have the same memories of Controllers, and neither have personally encountered them. The only reason why they'd respond differently is if Peter had forgotten about them.

This is happening almost 3.5 years after the last Earth 12 update.

What I find curious is that when the Justice League of Earth 12 confronted Paragon on Earth -14, it was 2005 in their universe. Jevek showing up either indicates that he'll be working on this alternate universe project for decades, or Earth 12 time isn't synced up with the rest; it has a Narnia-like effect where time moves faster there in relation to other universes.
Or, more likely, that Jevek isn't synced up. He seems to be approaching alternates when their situations are stable but still in enough want to work for him; he isn't randomly poking his head into their lives whenever he gets the chance, I think.

He lives in a comic book universe; when a random being from a different comic book universe shows up, odds are it is exactly what it appears to be and you're in a crossover event.

It being some jackass with a hologram projector is actually the less likely possibility under the circumstances.
By that logic he should expect it to be Doctor Doom.

Aww, no Orange from "Peter" at the end there? No excitement at learning new craziness from the multiverse?

Fair enough.
Hopefully he gets to exit the scenario with a charged ring, but ultimately? I don't like his odds. Depends on whether he is able to give himself a ring tune-up... Or reverse his aging entirely, like at the start of With This Ring.

Alternatively, I'd wager at least one Orange Lantern's greatest desire after all this time? Recover the ability to say their name. Some might trade that for a charged ring, if they only get one reward from this task.

Wait a second. Is Rani coming with him? Oh please let that happen. Especially if "Pull" is getting a full adventuring party.

'used'
'has'
'is in'?
'Zordon'?
'But'
Extraneous 'could'?
'a Power'
'other that'
'a job'
'than the'
Thank you, corrected.
I really need to get around to reading this series sometime. I have the first book kicking about.
If you live in Eastbourne then you can borrow mine.
After reading other stuff for quite a while, I'm back to With This Ring. Thought the fight with Walker was pretty cool.
Glad you liked it.

Nah, Doom isn't obsessed with Paul so he's not going to be the cause of inexplicable weirdness to Paul that often.

If you are Reed Richards though and something like this happens? Yeah at least 80% chance its Doom.
Doom is obsessed with anything that can get him power.

If he figured out Paul existed, which since there's a Marvel Paul he would have, he would have realized he could hit up all the other Paul's for free shit.

I wonder what stopped Peter from pursuing more magic stuff here - Earth 12 does have magic people, even if they lack a magic atlantis. Even if that hasn't been his field I'm a bit suprised he thinks of a magic based immortality solution as not particularly worth considering, when he's already pretty physically fragile. Also seems to be in the scavenging alien tech and alien personelle mode, rather then being some sort of interstellar thing - wonder what's stopping them from having a bigger offworld presence? There's got to be a way to get FTL by now, even if something about this parallel stops the development of luminal drives from cosmic converter tech.
Feel like there's got to be a way to do something relatively unobtrusive to support the body based on cosmic rod or anti-grav tech without needing a frame frame, if apparently waynetech had thanagarian anti-grav tech three decades ago. Still, he seems to be going for a relatively sensible approach here, and the sort of - wistful fondness of the whole - silliness of the trappings of the affairs of superheroes and enjoyment of technology and social progress makes me smile.
He's so helpful!
There's something humanizing about the way that it has to be something that he takes up each time, even though it's probably far more sensible to make some sort of automated cosmic converter based force field system to wear all the time, or something like that.

Last edited:
Equity (part 14) New
7th May 2024
09:01 GMT

"…very helpful, Invincible."

He's smiling.

It's… Best when he smiles.

"I've been adapting human infrastructure in the areas I repair to Viltrumite Empire standards. I was.. rather proud of British plugs, but omni-adaptors blow them out of the water. Ah…"

He… Spreads out his arms as he floats backwards down the corridor.

"Come on, buddy. You can talk to me. What's the problem?"

"It's going to take a while before… We can manufacture part-. Empire-standard parts locally, so... I've been building power points with both omni-adaptor points and… Whatever the local standard is to get through the transitional period, then… The older version can just be removed."

"Huh." He nods. "Good catch. I guess there's no point in having an energy grid no one can use. Any other problems?"

"Just the… Same concern I had originally. Standard pattern buildings…" I shake my head. "Perfectly functional, and a… Hah, a lot of the ruins I'm replacing were due to go anyway. You would not believe the amount of asbestos I've been finding."

He shrugs. "And that's why it all needed to go. You get that, right?"

"I-. I doubt I fully understand the magnitude of what's happening, so I…" Really wish you'd just leave me to it. "I couldn't really comment. But the new buildings are definitely better than getting asbestosis! Heh."

"Sure, buddy." He turns around and lands, walking towards a very secure-looking door. "Say, could you help me with something?"

What sort of janissary would I be if I didn't do whatever my overlord told me?

"Ah, I can try?"

A dead one. That's what kind.

He looks at the door for a moment and then carries on down the corridor, stopping at a viewing window. Then he turns back to me and motions to the window with his left arm. I nervously approach and take a look through. It's… A hospital ward? One woman, connected to a number of machines. There are… Nurses inside, with the same sort of look of embedded dread that I know is imprinted on my own face more or less continuously.

The look of someone who has to deal with a Viltrumite on a daily basis. And who might be too valuable to kill casually but who knows an awful lot of people who aren't and have sort of gotten used to it but you can't ever get completely used to it.

You can't…

"There's a resistance network in America. A few superheroes, some Global Defense Agency soldiers and some people who just…" He shrugs. "Joined up. I don't know what they thought they were going to achieve."

I nod slowly. "Ah. I'm not much of a fighter."

For a moment he focuses on me. "Ah, yeah, I know that. That's why you're still alive, buddy."

Then I breathe out as he turns his attention to the woman being tended to.

"My Dad and me, we shut down a resistance cell a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if we got the network's whole leadership. I think we did, but I guess it doesn't matter. What matters, is her."

I nod. "Assuming that she's a baseline human, I should-."

"Hah!" He glances at me, shaking his head. "No."

"Ah. No?"

"I'm not asking you to fix her. I broke her neck myself! Not easy, breaking someone's neck enough to completely paralyse them but not kill them. Especially when you're a viltrumite, and you're not sure exactly how tough she is."

No one knows about assimilation. When I realised how dodgy-looking the Global Defence Agency was, I abandoned any plan I had to be a superhero and just kept my head down as much as possible. Constructs, matter transmutation and flight, yes, records of those exist, but the other things… No one has seen them. The records don't exist. And viltrumites aren't telepathic. He shouldn't be able to know.

"Do you..? Want me to check that she's stable?"

"No, these guys are professionals. What I need you to do, is make her see sense."

"With regards to..?"

He smiles faintly. "The Viltrumite Empire. I don't even really mind that she fought us. If she was weak willed she wouldn't be worth my time. It's just-."

He sighs in frustration.

"She just won't accept that she's lost. I don't want to kill her, but I know that if I let her go then she'll start the whole 'resistance' thing up again. And then I'd have to kill even more people. So I need you to talk some sense into her."

"Ah…"

His head jerks around so that he's facing me.

"You can do that. Right, buddy?"

I smile nervously. "I can.. certainly try. Um. If you'll… Let me in?"

He smiles, then walks over to the door and puts his right hand on the palm scanner.

"You'll have to wait for me to get you out." The scanner beeps. "I lock the medical team in there."

I… I mean, what do I say to that? "I'll be waiting."

And then I'm inside, and the door is closing… Quietly but definitively behind me.

And the staff stop what they're doing to stare at me.

After a moment, the closest -a bald black man- sighs. "Are you Jenkins' replacement?"

"No." I shake my head. "No, I have no medical skills beyond basic first aid." … "Um. What..? Happened-?"

"Killed himself. Couldn't take being locked in like this." He exhales. "So what are you here for?"

"I've got to persuade her to stop fighting. Can-?"

"Heh." There's no humour to the… Noise, he just made, but I'm getting looks from the others that suggests that hysterical laughter is a definite possibility. "You know who this is?"

"No."

"This is Atom Eve, of the Guardians of the Globe. Last one left."

"I thought The Immortal couldn't die."

"According to our sponsor, Omniman threw his body into the sun just to make sure he didn't get back up."

That… That would probably do it.

"When he broke her neck, he damaged her oesophagus, larynx, a whole bunch of nerves… High stress, not eating right… She can't feel it, but she's a mess." He shakes his head. "We can wake her up for you, but she can't talk. And she won't wanna listen anyway."

I snort. "I can communicate clearly with anyone and anything. And I'm more afraid of what Invincible will do if I fail than I am of trying."

He nods as he turns away.

"You and me both."

Last edited:
7th May 2024
09:01 GMT

"…very helpful, Invincible."

He's smiling.

It's… Best when he smiles.
Probably because a grumpy dictator means a bad time for whoever he's feeling grumpy at. Especially the more despotic types. So a happy Viltrumite is a safe Viltrumite, at least towards his allies.

"I've been adapting human infrastructure in the areas I repair to Viltrumite Empire standards. I was.. rather proud of British plugs, but omni-adaptors blow them out of the water. Ah…"

He… Spreads out his arms as he floats backwards down the corridor.
It's significant that he doesn't walk much anymore, does he? Do any Viltrumites generally walk when they could fly?

"Come on, buddy. You can talk to me. What's the problem?"

"It's going to take a while before… We can manufacture part-. Empire-standard parts locally, so... I've been building power points with both omni-adaptor points and… Whatever the local standard is to get through the transitional period, then… The older version can just be removed."
I presume it's a little above Earth's 'normal' tech level, and possibly requires more exotic materials. So a smart idea to avoid relying solely on it.

"Huh." He nods. "Good catch. I guess there's no point in having an energy grid no one can use. Any other problems?"

"Just the… Same concern I had originally. Standard pattern buildings…" I shake my head. "Perfectly functional, and a… Hah, a lot of the ruins I'm replacing were due to go anyway. You would not believe the amount of asbestos I've been finding."
Too expensive to get out otherwise, I'll bet. And the dust released in the air from them getting knocked over is probably easy for Paul to clean up.

He shrugs. "And that's why it all needed to go. You get that, right?"

"I-. I doubt I fully understand the magnitude of what's happening, so I…" Really wish you'd just leave me to it. "I couldn't really comment. But the new buildings are definitely better than getting asbestosis! Heh."
Since I doubt Viltrumites are known for their medical technology...

"Sure, buddy." He turns around and lands, walking towards a very secure-looking door. "Say, could you help me with something?"

What sort of janissary would I be if I didn't do whatever my overlord told me?
Heh. that is kind of that he is, isn't he? As will most of humanity's military, if the Vltrumites allow them to rebuild one.

"Ah, I can try?"

A dead one. That's what kind.
Man... Imagine how much more powerful he'd have been with a Yellow Ring... 😒

He looks at the door for a moment and then carries on down the corridor, stopping at a viewing window. Then he turns back to me and motions to the window with his left arm. I nervously approach and take a look through. It's… A hospital ward? One woman, connected to a number of machines. There are… Nurses inside, with the same sort of look of embedded dread that I know is imprinted on my own face more or less continuously.
A very common look these days, I bet.

The look of someone who has to deal with a Viltrumite on a daily basis. And who might be too valuable to kill casually but who knows an awful lot of people who aren't and have sort of gotten used to it but you can't ever get completely used to it.

You can't…
And Mark still seems to think he's the good guy here? I guess Viltrumites have superhuman talents at self-deception too.

"There's a resistance network in America. A few superheroes, some Global Defense Agency soldiers and some people who just…" He shrugs. "Joined up. I don't know what they thought they were going to achieve."

I nod slowly. "Ah. I'm not much of a fighter."
A last great act of defiance...

For a moment he focuses on me. "Ah, yeah, I know that. That's why you're still alive, buddy."

Then I breathe out as he turns his attention to the woman being tended to.
Good thing he can regenerate his body, because working with Mark must be very bad for his blood pressure...

"My Dad and me, we shut down a resistance cell a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if we got the networks's whole leadership. I think we did, but I guess it doesn't matter. What matters, is her."

I nod. "Assuming that she's a baseline human, I should-."
Makes you wonder why she's alive. I doubt they need intelligence on the resistance from her.

"Hah!" He glances at me, shaking his head. "No."

"Ah. No?"

"I'm not asking you to fix her. I broke her neck myself! Not easy, breaking someone's neck enough to completely paralyse them but not kill them. Especially when you're a viltrumite, and you're not sure exactly how tough she is."
...It says a lot how casually he says that, doesn't it?

No one knows about assimilation. When I realised how dodgy-looking the Global Defence Agency was, I abandoned any plan I had to be a superhero and just kept my head down as much as possible. Constructs, matter transmutation and flight, yes, records of those exist, but the other things… No one has seen them. The records don't exist. And viltrumites aren't telepathic. He shouldn't be able to know.
He's probably fortunate DC and Marvel Comics publications don't seem to exist in the Invincible universe (given that Mark didn't recognise the Avengers during a crossover...)

"Do you..? Want me to check that she's stable?"

"No, these guys are professionals. What I need you to do, is make her see sense."
That may be beyond even his powers. This Paul doesn't seem as proficient with the orange Light as OL is, so likely no Desire network rewriting or even branding.

"With regards to..?"

He smiles faintly. "The Viltrumite Empire. I don't even really mind that she fought us. If she was weak willed she wouldn't be worth my time. It's just-."
...She makes you hot for her, huh? Viltrumites definitely seem to have a thing for strong-willed lovers they can break...

He sighs in frustration.

"She just won't accept that she's lost. I don't want to kill her, but I know that if I let her go then she'll start the whole 'resistance' thing up again. And then I'd have to kill even more people. So I need you to talk some sense into her."
You do realise she'd rather be dead, then?

"Ah…"

His head jerks around so that he's facing me.

"You can do that. Right, buddy?"
...Shit... 😨 What'll he do if Paul can't convince her?

I smile nervously. "I can.. certainly try. Um. If you'll… Let me in?"

He smiles, then walks over to the door and puts his right hand on the palm scanner.
Because of course it's a secure chamber...

"You'll have to wait for me to get you out." The scanner beeps. "I lock the medical team in there."

I… I mean, what do I say to that? "I'll be waiting."
...So, do they have rooms in there, or does he stop by whenever they have a shift change?

And then I'm inside, and the door is closing… Quietly but definitively behind me.

And the staff stop what they're doing to stare at me.
Never a fun moment, walking into an established group's space. Like being a transfer student walking into a classroom...

After a moment, the closest -a bald black man- sighs. "Are you Jenkins' replacement?"

"No." I shake my head. "No, I have no medical skills beyond basic first aid." … "Um. What..? Happened-?"
...And did they have to do clean-up with a mop, or..?

"Killed himself. Couldn't take being locked in like this." He exhales. "So what are you here for?"

"I've got to persuade her to stop fighting. Can-?"
I can just imagine them wincing when he says that.

"Heh." There's no humour to the… Noise, he just made, but I'm getting looks from the others that suggests that hysterical laughter is a definite possibility. "You know who this is?"

"No."
..Yeah, that was definitely a wince moment.

"This is Atom Eve, of the Global Guardians. Last one left."

"I thought The Immortal couldn't die."
That's only really a matter of force applied, isn't it? Can he regenerate from being reduced to a literal paint-job?

"According to our sponsor, Omniman threw his body into the sun just to make sure he didn't get back up."

That… That would probably do it.
...Unless he somehow respawns on Earth. And honestly, from what I remember, that might well be possible.

"When he broke her neck, he damaged her oesophagus, larynx, a whole bunch of nerves… High stress, not eating right… She can't feel it, but she's a mess." He shakes his head. "We can wake her up for you, but she can't talk. And she won't wanna listen anyway."

I snort. "I can communicate clearly with anyone and anything. And I'm more afraid of what Invincible will do if I fail than I am of trying."
I'd have said he could heal her, but really, fixing her up without fixing everything might be tricky. and if she breaks out, he's not going to live much longer unless he joins up... Which just delays his probably-inevitable death at Viltrumite hands a little.

He nods as he turns away.

"You and me both."
Another common sentiment around this reality, I suspect.

Man... And I though Anti-Green Paul (now Gold Lantern Paul) had a shitty situation. He at least knew he'd probably come back from dying. This Paul doesn't even have that hope, only a constant dread of Invincible's fury... Much like the rest of Humanity, I suspect. And sooner or later, Mark will snap, or one of the Viltrumites decide Earth doesn't need all those annoying Humans... 😨

Eh, give it time. Viltrumites are notoriously vulnerable to what I like to call Lower Enlisted Syndrome.

AKA that phenomenon where lonely people in high stress jobs like soldiers (or alien warlords...) fall in love with the first person to show them some intimacy, typically a hooker.

I find it somewhat ironic that one of the more powerfully orange Pauls in this situation would probably spot the mental blocks keeping Eve in check and would therefore be able to solve the Viltrumite problem even without needing to fight them himself.

Also not sure what the point is of all this security around her? Going by what I know from the comics, there's a strong chance that if she were to actually "die" she'd have a moment with her full potential unlocked while she healed herself back up to perfect health, whereupon she'd immediately at least try to escape. And given that she might also be able to instantly kill a viltrumite if one were right there, and could effortlessly unmake the place and fly away if one weren't, that's not really a good scenario for Mark. But I doubt he or Nolan know that... I doubt the resistance would be trying to assassinate her... Is it just so that if one of the doctors screws up and kills his crush he'll know right where to find them?

Can he regenerate from being reduced to a literal paint-job?
Yes, actually. Not quite sure how, but he's gotten up after being definitively killed before.
Man... And I though Anti-Green Paul (now Gold Lantern Paul) had a shitty situation. He at least knew he'd probably come back from dying. This Paul doesn't even have that hope, only a constant dread of Invincible's fury... Much like the rest of Humanity, I suspect. And sooner or later, Mark will snap, or one of the Viltrumites decide Earth doesn't need all those annoying Humans... 😨
Thing is, he's not usually shown as being particularly angry. Ruthlessly murderous, yes, but not angry about it.
I find it somewhat ironic that one of the more powerfully orange Pauls in this situation would probably spot the mental blocks keeping Eve in check and would therefore be able to solve the Viltrumite problem even without needing to fight them himself.

Also not sure what the point is of all this security around her? Going by what I know from the comics, there's a strong chance that if she were to actually "die" she'd have a moment with her full potential unlocked while she healed herself back up to perfect health, whereupon she'd immediately at least try to escape. And given that she might also be able to instantly kill a viltrumite if one were right there, and could effortlessly unmake the place and fly away if one weren't, that's not really a good scenario for Mark. But I doubt he or Nolan know that... I doubt the resistance would be trying to assassinate her... Is it just so that if one of the doctors screws up and kills his crush he'll know right where to find them?
No one knows that because she hasn't died yet.

The lack of any knowledge about the setting is ehat's really hurting this SI. Blue Lantern Paul was at the mercy of Supervillains but at least he was familiar with DC's negative Earths and their reverse individuals, Indigo Saul was completely in the dark about The Boys setting but his mind was affected and he wasn't solely under the authority of Homelander or something like that.

This SI is in an unknown Superhero setting, where some Kryptonians expies have conquered the planet and he's now under the control and whims of one of those guys. It's rough.

This particular version of the SI seems more, and I know this is a loaded word, cowardly than we're used to seeing from versions of him.

I want you to understand I'm not making judgements. I'm sure I'd be just as terrified, if not more so, in his situation! I'm not better than him or anything. But comparing Invincible-SI to other versions of the SI, we can see that they have the capacity for incredible courage. We've seen many of them plunge into dangerous situations that could get them killed without hesitation. It's not just the orange enlightenment or Grayven's awakening either. Look at the actions of Krono, romping through mutant ants like some kind of action hero. Or Wynne, who stares down Batman and has otherwise demonstrated plenty of bravery. Or the Transformers guy, who... well I don't recall his adventures that well, but he hasn't exactly chosen a safe life has he?

So it's unusual to see the Invincible SI so obviously rattled and hesitant.

This particular version of the SI seems more, and I know this is a loaded word, cowardly than we're used to seeing from versions of him.

I want you to understand I'm not making judgements. I'm sure I'd be just as terrified, if not more so, in his situation! I'm not better than him or anything. But comparing Invincible-SI to other versions of the SI, we can see that they have the capacity for incredible courage. We've seen many of them plunge into dangerous situations that could get them killed without hesitation. It's not just the orange enlightenment or Grayven's awakening either. Look at the actions of Krono, romping through mutant ants like some kind of action hero. Or Wynne, who stares down Batman and has otherwise demonstrated plenty of bravery. Or the Transformers guy, who... well I don't recall his adventures that well, but he hasn't exactly chosen a safe life has he?

So it's unusual to see the Invincible SI so obviously rattled and hesitant.
Most versions had to get involved in fighting, and adapted as a result. This version hasn't. The Global Guardians are were a GDA employees, and that's an organisation this SI has been studiously avoiding. So this isn't someone who's been a superhero or a mercenary or a tribal leader for years. This is someone who was living a nearly-normal life right up until Omniman went active.

The Global Guardians are were a GDA employees

This might sound rude, but it's asked as a question in good faith - is VilchVizier!Paul calling them the Global Guardians instead of the Guardians of the Globe as a deliberate jab, or is it a typo? It's the kind of mistake I can imagine from someone from our world who just got there, but not someone who'd been living in that world for a while.

This might sound rude, but it's asked as a question in good faith - is VilchVizier!Paul calling them the Global Guardians instead of the Guardians of the Globe as a deliberate jab, or is it a typo? It's the kind of mistake I can imagine from someone from our world who just got there, but not someone who'd been living in that world for a while.
Maybe he just thinks the somewhat shorter version works better.

Though this is an alternate universe, do it's possible that that's their name in this universe.

The thing about this Atom Eve is since it's a different universe it might be different powers. Not sure how much is the same. Stronger mental blocks, slightly different abilities, things are the same but different.
How much is the question. She appeared to fight differently but that could be anything…..

Most versions had to get involved in fighting, and adapted as a result. This version hasn't. The Global Guardians are were a GDA employees, and that's an organisation this SI has been studiously avoiding. So this isn't someone who's been a superhero or a mercenary or a tribal leader for years. This is someone who was living a nearly-normal life right up until Omniman went active.

Also lets be real there's a bit of a difference in the threats proposed. Fighting something you know CAN be beaten, even if its a fight you're ill-suited for, is different from something where you have empirical data that said thing has turned over 99% percent of opposition to chunky salsa. That's opposition known to exist, not just some small sample size of fights. Also the remaining less than one percent is made of things that required more thorough solutions than salsa, and one known instance of incapacitation via broken neck paralysis.

Don't care what powers you give me. My first solution isn't running face first into the active wood-chipper. It's actually really well characterized with how relatable it is.

I could say something about it being a translation, but honestly I just got it wrong.

Are there more snippets to this Paul? I'm having a hard time remembering what is what.

CRACK-CRACK!

Two tiny jabs from Azula turn them both in to dust, more efficient blows than she used for the previous one as she gets a better handle on how much force she needs to use to destroy them.
'into'?
And in a few months she probably won't have the time to devote to self-reflection. She's going to become Clarissi, which isn't something I saw coming when I recruited her. And Clarissi is a full time job. She asked me if I had any ideas on how she could make a break through, and coming back here and confronting the things she felt conflicted about was the best idea I had.
'breakthrough'?
Visiting her old prison didn't really trigger anything. It's actually a spa for stressed aristocrats now. She did splutter with laughter when found out what they think happened to her, a surprisingly unguarded response from her. But that was all. Visiting her father's grave didn't trigger anything, and visiting Ty Lee's grave only made her angry. Which might be useful, if she'd really been carrying that for seventy years.
'when she found'
I look down at the young woman who worked up the courage to speak to me, wearing… Looks like something from Avatar: the Last Airbender. I'm wearing a costume myself, but unlike the fanciful designs rendered in cloth and plastic worn by the convention-goers I'm dress in an extremely functional Keldon outfit which shows off my impressive musculature and inhuman nature to best advantage.
'dressed'
I arm up, Apokoliptian armour I haven't touched for months replacing the Keldon leathers covering my body, daiklave appearing on my back and goggles appearing over my oh dear.
This link seems identical to the other one earlier in the same chapter. Was this intentional? Am I missing something?
I abandon the projector and draw a blaster, letting an arcane-enhanced lance clip my construct armour in order to take a magic-piercing shot at a knight in fancier armour. The shot hits, staggering them. The second kills and then we're passed them, my sword artlessly slashing and parting horse and alien flesh alike. Kevin's.. managing, from the looks of things, and there's the first palanquin and the protective spells erupt as I cleave through them!
'past'? But I'm really not sure.
"Airbender training." He chuckles quietly. "Though I doubt that there's a single Air Acolyte who hasn't tried to complete a run once or twice. The trick it to feel the flow of the air around you and move before the panel hits you."
'is to'
I stand on the cliff top, slowly run through the kata which Tenzin showed me earlier today.
'running'?
"Okay." Korra nods. "I can do that. Juuust let me…" She bows her head, closes her eyes and take a slow deep breath in, then out, then in, then out again.
'takes'
"That's…" He frowns, clearly trying to find a polite way too ask if her family are Nazis. "Were your family-?"
'to'
Anyway, there are a two large flat balep loaves, one at either end of the table with no cutlery for cutting them. There's a pot of porridge in the middle of the table on a thick mat to protect the table from the heat, but the mismatched pile of bowls piled up next to it-.
Extraneous 'a'
What sort of person leaves a place like this just lying around? Something's keeping the dust out of this bit, but from the way its built up outside-.
'it's'?
"Alright." The ghostly image of a.. average-looking man in a jumpsuit of some sort is standing in the imager. One hundred and seventy centimetres tall, short hair combed into a side parting, and slightly more muscled than I'd have expected a kryptonian of his generation to be. He actually makes eye contact with us, and looks more than a little relieved. "I think that's our man."
'of an…'?
If you live in Eastbourne then you can borrow mine.
Unfortunately I'm a few hundred kilometres off. Thanks for the offer, though.

"It's super-telekinesis. The only way to block it is to have someone who's better at telekinesis, and they don't have anyone like that. All the martians are back on Mars and Adam Blake is in Vega."

"We don't have a full list of every species that they've exterminated and we certainly don't have a list of every species that they've had dealings with. I wish you all success, but don't get overconfident." I think he's rolling his eyes but the flame effect makes it hard to tell. "Ah, what species are compatible with… Becoming an Effigy?"

"Everyone we've tested it on. Apparently it even works on Reach tissue samples." He shrugs. "We've got no problem recruiting anyone who wants to join. And we're immune to just about every form of mind control they use."
We know that 'telekinesis supressors' exist - though I don't think we've seen any application of that technology that would even pessimstically need a range of more then a few meters, beyond whatever the psions ended up using the capture Adam Blake. Even if it isn't traditionally 'interdictable' it's probably still possible to interfere with something usable in melee or maybe mountable to a specialized torpedo. Worst case, there's some relatively simple scarab-shiftable telekinesis supression device that basically turns off all the advantages of being an Effigy, but here's to hoping that Jevek thought of that.
Really, the more I think about this, the more it seems like the best role isn't nesscarily as a seperate marine corps or something, but just a massive swing weapon to deploy as part of a broader campaign, if not for Jevek wanting to get more status out of the project then that.
And yeah, there's no reason in principle there couldn't be some qwardian supertelekinetic on tap for the reach.
EDIT: Random bonus thought: I wonder if there's a particular reason why all of the Paul's seen here are orange lanterns relating to how he's finding them. It might just be that orange ones are disproportionately common, or that he's just selling the whole "You owe me" thing to orange ones since they are the most likely to think that it's a controller ring or wha.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back