• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

"I don't intent to seal her in a giant block of orange crystal."

Tula frowns. "Of course not. Why would you even…" Ghia'ta is looking down. "Ghia'ta?"

"… Yes. That is why Dame Carol wants me to learn about love from you, from the people of Earth. Some.. Zamarons… Think that things should be… Different."
Alright. How many people are they going to have to free from violet crystal stasis?

I dump the last of my furniture into subspace, then turn to face Ghia'ta and Tula. "How do you want to decorate?"

"I think that I would like to use natural materials. Wood and linen."

"Alright, but if you don't want florescent light bulbs then good luck on getting Batman to sign off on candles or a wood fire." I frown. "And what are you planning on sleeping on?"
Ah, redecorating. Something OL can most definitely make himself useful with.

"Cloth? Is that not what humans sleep on?"

"Not in this part of the world." Tula smiles. "In Atlantis, the water takes our weight so we don't need anything to make the bed soft. But on the surface, their beds have metal springs."

"Oh."
"Sleeping on metal... How primitive..."

"But we could probably make you a bed with natural sponge if you wanted. Not.. sure what it would be like to sleep on, mind you. Or some sort of linen hammock?"

"Sponge." Her eyes glow for a moment as her ring feeds her the information she wants. "I think that I will try that."
Funky. It'd be like a giant foam pillow...

"Ooh, if you want to go totally crazy, we could have Euanthe make it out of living wood. She could probably work out how to make wooden bedsprings."

"Is Euanthe an arboriculturist?"

"Both the subject and the object." I point my left hand at her, then hesitate. "Are you alright with me sending you data packets?"
Good to see him asking rather than just flinging bits around.

"I should be." She tentatively raises her right hand, her ring shimmering as she does so. "Could you think of the one you love while you do it?"

I take a moment to picture Alan when he made a tour of the cancer ward of the John Hopkins Hospital, the joy he clearly felt at being able to help people, to restore their hope.
...I'll admit, that image makes me kind of teary myself...x3

"Sending."

A small ball of orange flies from my original ring and impacts hers. There's a sort of.. violet fizz around it for a moment, which puts me in mind of how Guy's ring used to crackle when he suppressed his anger. Her eyes flicker a moment later as she takes some of the information in. Or given that she's half-Maltusian I suppose that she might have taken in the whole thing.
Eh, she might not have a lot of the pure maltusian talents.

"Why is your ring doing that?"

"I was raised in an environment of intense sororal love. Focusing on that.. helps me."
...Ladies... But, seriously, I'm picturing something more like a group of nuns...

"What the heck have they been telling you about the other colours?"

"That.. green leads to close-mindedness-."

"Hah! I mean, they're not wrong, but you'd think they'd look in a mirror sometimes."
Those in glass houses...

"What do you mean by that?"

"For all the disagreements I have with the Guardians, they've been using their light to fight.. what might tentatively be called 'evil', for millions of years. While your matrons have been sitting on their collective tod, aside from the occasional korugari booty call. Flipping Larfleeze managed to do more than that and he sat in a cave the whole time."

Tula frowns. "Wasn't Larfleeze the alien who you fought for the Orange Central Power Battery? How did he do any good?"
I wouldn't call it a fight...

"He drew the most avaricious beings in the galaxy to him and killed them. We've gone over the rings he made from them to get details of their personal histories and they were some nasty pieces of work." I look away. "And it wasn't really a fight."

"As uncomfortable as hearing you say that makes me, I believe the same thing. That is why I am so grateful that Dame Carol is giving me this opportunity. I believe that the violet light of love should be spread across the galaxy, so that all people can feel the same joy and security that I have always known."
But too much of a good thing can be bad in its own way.

I nod, smiling.

"Do you.. feel the same?"

"I don't know. I don't know what the galaxy would look like with an active Star Sapphire Corps. I can't say that I'm invested in the idea, but I am curious. So if you want to make it happen, go for it."
One step closer to the War of Light... At least the Orange light has better representatives.

"Why?"

I shake my head. "I don't understand. And while I could take a look I'm sure you'd rather that I didn't."

She nods, then stops, frowning. "Why don't you mind?"
The joy of running a mono-color build. Opens up some strange conversation trees.

"Why should I?"

"Because it wouldn't be yours. I could understand that you want there to be an Orange Corps because it is yours, but I don't understand why you would want there to be other Corps."
The joy of enlightenment.

"You accept that I can still feel love?"

She nods.

"I feel anger, fear, determination, hope, compassion and love. These feelings are mine. They are a part of how I see the universe, how the universe I exist in is. Why would I want to cut away one part of myself? Why would I want to make myself less than I am? Why would I make myself a part of the orange light rather than make it a part of me?"
Can you imagine what gaining Love enlightenment would be like? Or proper Rage Enlightenment?

She nods uncertainly. "The woman who you love. Where is she?"

"On a planet on the periphery of Reach space."

"And that doesn't trouble you?"
Not if he doesn't want it to.

"I love Jade as she is, not as some best match to a fantasised ideal woman I have in my head. Jade needs to fight and to feel useful, purposive. She hates to be dependent; that's something we share. But I'm very powerful. I realised early on that she'd.. be better off establishing herself somewhere away from me so that we could approach each other as equals. I do miss her, but this is what's best for her, for our relationship in the long term. I want her to be herself to the fullest extent that that's possible."

I lean forward.

"I don't intent to seal her in a giant block of orange crystal."
Ooh, orange crush burn.

Tula frowns. "Of course not. Why would you even…" Ghia'ta is looking down. "Ghia'ta?"

"… Yes. That is why Dame Carol wants me to learn about love from you, from the people of Earth. Some.. Zamarons… Think that things should be… Different."
I bet she had strong words when she arrived on Zamaron and saw the state of things...

"Yes. Monochromatism can have some unfortunate effects. And that's why-" I pull Drakul Karfang's ring off my finger and toss it to her. She doesn't catch it, but she doesn't flinch too much. "-I want you to try using that as well as your own."

"Because you do not want me to become fixated."
Oh, my, OL. Giving someone other than your steady a ring? What would Jade say about this double-timing? :p

"Because I hope that you don't want to end up like that either. You followed your desires to come here when you could have stayed in the loving embrace of your sisterhood. I think you might make a good Orange Lantern, too."

"You have done all you can to allow the one you love to flourish. I think that you might make a good Star Sapphire as well."
Honestly, OL could easily push into other lights, thanks to enlightenment.

I hold out my right hand and smile expectantly.

She looks slightly awkward.

"But I don't have a spare ring for you to prove it."
Heheh. Rookie lantern, not an Illustres. Though that may change in time...

Some interesting interplay between Lanterns. I wonder what Arisia will do. This will certainly be an eye-opener for her.

Is mutual ring exchange like exchanging tricots after football? :D

Also I don't understand part of the update.

Ghia'ta asks "Why" and Pauls says "I don't understand". Not understand what?
In this instance, "I don't understand." is functionally similar to "Why what?"

Humans cannot achieve that. At most, probably 3 rings on the same finger.

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-1549f3379c9ee2cb9bd015d348ed3f19

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-e77434e27f37df8050b8d508d83b3c48.webp

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/30334/2097175-jla7013.jpg

It can be done. Of course the vast majority wouldn't be very effective at using them all at once because they aren't speshul. But if they are being outright given the Rings rather than needing to attract them by being exceptionally whatever emotion, a talented and experienced user with the right mindset could probably accomplish something.

Last edited:
Good thing Paul doesn't have a strictly human soul, unless you just mean physically (fingers are too small)?
Most likely the physical limitations in this context.

As for the purely psychological/spiritual/what-have-you limitations, I'd think that having the emotional... intensity/strength to use all of them is pretty much beyond anyone, unless they're using a White ring. The only example I've seen/read about is Kyle getting all rings at once after Blackest Night, and even then most of them broke after a few moments.

Well, that and a pic that I can't find at the moment that had Joker wearing all the rings, but I think that's either a fan pic or one of those "catch reader's attention so that they buy the comic, doesn't actually happen in the story" covers.

Well, that and a pic that I can't find at the moment that had Joker wearing all the rings, but I think that's either a fan pic or one of those "catch reader's attention so that they buy the comic, doesn't actually happen in the story" covers.
I think it happened in a story, but I think it was a fanfic, possibly inspired by that cover (or I might be wrong about that, of course).

Or proper Rage Enlightenment?

Anger is, at its core, the feeling of "this is not fair, this is not just, this is not how things should be". Rage Enlightenment would likely run along the lines of "once you've fixed the problem you shouldn't be angry about it any longer. Identifying the problem requires the other emotions, Rage is just the means by which the injustices are resolved."

"As uncomfortable as hearing you say that makes me, I believe the same thing. That is why I am so grateful that Dame Carol is giving me this opportunity. I believe that the violet light of love should be spread across the galaxy, so that all people can feel the same joy and security that I have always known."
So kind of like how Debbie Devizo as "Heartshine" used the Heart of Amore to spread love, unlocking tender feelings in those who needed it.... but without having to siphon the love out of others to do it.

Anger is, at its core, the feeling of "this is not fair, this is not just, this is not how things should be". Rage Enlightenment would likely run along the lines of "once you've fixed the problem you shouldn't be angry about it any longer. Identifying the problem requires the other emotions, Rage is just the means by which the injustices are resolved."
But what happens when you solve the last problem?

on an unrelated note has anyone been keeping up with dceased?

Now I am curious about what a Lantern who can healthy use all the lights might look like. In that state could they produce White light?

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-1549f3379c9ee2cb9bd015d348ed3f19

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-e77434e27f37df8050b8d508d83b3c48.webp

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/30334/2097175-jla7013.jpg

It can be done. Of course the vast majority wouldn't be very effective at using them all at once because they aren't speshul. But if they are being outright given the Rings rather than needing to attract them by being exceptionally whatever emotion, a talented and experienced user with the right mindset could probably accomplish something.
Pretty sure it's the "on the same finger" part they were questioning.

"Alright, but if you don't want fluorescent light bulbs then good luck on getting Batman to sign off on candles or a wood fire." I frown. "And what are you planning on sleeping on?"
Wow. Property owners in England must be complete assholes. You have a problem with candlelight? Here we actually sell them in stores, and are able to use them without burning our houses down or suffocating ourselves.

Why are you suggesting she should get Batman's permission to be allowed have to use fire? I know there are differences between the Renegade and Paragon timelines, but I didn't know it went so far as Renegade mocking the senator about bad nanny laws (oh no someone got burnt, better ban fire) and Paragon seemingly a proponent exactly that sort of Nanny policies.

I mean, can you imagine the consequences if a fire got out of control and ran amok, burning down the mountain made out of rock, with nice empty corridors of stone separating the flammable stuff, just waiting to be set alight once it traverses those empty stone firebreaks! Oh whatever would the girl with the power ring do when confronted with the horrors of flame?

Surely Barman must suppress the soothing ambiance of natural firelight, out of fear of the mountain going up in smoke. Why if that happened, the number of mountains destroyed by the errant flame of man could rise as high as one!

You know, what with this being Halloween, I think the chances of me lighting some candles tonight is actually rather high, as they are wonderful for ambiance and also the illumination of Jack-o-Lanterns. So in the spirit of the season, lets all have a moment of silence while we mock all those poor English souls who in addition to talking funny, apparently lack the mental maturity and fortitude to be trusted with match or candle.

Wow. Property owners in England must be complete assholes. You have a problem with candlelight? Here we actually sell them in stores, and are able to use them without burning our houses down or suffocating ourselves.

Why are you suggesting she should get Batman's permission to be allowed have to use fire? I know there are differences between the Renegade and Paragon timelines, but I didn't know it went so far as Renegade mocking the senator about bad nanny laws (oh no someone got burnt, better ban fire) and Paragon seemingly a proponent exactly that sort of Nanny policies.

I mean, can you imagine the consequences if a fire got out of control and ran amok, burning down the mountain made out of rock, with nice empty corridors of stone separating the flammable stuff, just waiting to be set alight once it traverses those empty stone firebreaks! Oh whatever would the girl with the power ring do when confronted with the horrors of flame?

Surely Barman must suppress the soothing ambiance of natural firelight, out of fear of the mountain going up in smoke. Why if that happened, the number of mountains destroyed by the errant flame of man could rise as high as one!

You know, what with this being Halloween, I think the chances of me lighting some candles tonight is actually rather high, as they are wonderful for ambiance and also the illumination of Jack-o-Lanterns. So in the spirit of the season, lets all have a moment of silence while we mock all those poor English souls who in addition to talking funny, apparently lack the mental maturity and fortitude to be trusted with match or candle.
The mountain should have an HVAC system robust enough to handle a few candles, but enough to see well by? Among wood and linen furnishings? That's just a bit iffier. If the whole thing is concrete block and wire mold construction it's more a danger of smoke inhalation than fire.

I was going to complain about the lighting being fluorescent instead of LED, but then realized the YJ universe is quite a few years behind and LEDs kinda sucked around that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back