• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Hah! And they are suddenly an equivalent of a first world nation in military power. It's not the Great Ghost Dance, but it's rather close, isn't it? We might be seeing a formation of new nation here. Lots of politics here. I am curious how Lex is going to react. Especially if the tribes patent / assett legal claim to Danner formula. They probably know a lot about it.

Also, Dannered Lois. I kinda want to see what happens when someone tries to kidnap / hold her hostage next time. I mean, that on-screen stunt with throwing her off the skyscraper? I could see her going for that now. In a passive aggressive way, that is, ie leaping off building mid villain speech.

Plus, there are benefits to her relationship with Clark. Is OL going to Danner Ma and Pa Kent? The enhancement does give life extension benefits

"You sure Nazigirl's alright lookin' after a bunch of brown people?"

"Apparently, Overman was very clear about insisting that she follow local rules where reasonably practical. And the government of Germania hasn't bothered purging-."

"Yeah yeah, they're the super friendly kinda mass murderers."
Too much effort, and too likely to piss off Overman, I take it? Sensible, for Nazis...

Dr Munro looks increasingly concerned.

"No, they're just surprisingly realistic about the logistics."
Including the logistics of not getting their heads screwed off by an angry Kryptonian, eh?

We land in the courtyard at the front of the apartment building where Dawn Warrior lives, and Raquel presses the buzzer.

"I'm sorry, I think I missed something. Nazi?"

"Overgirl comes from a parallel universe where the fascists won the Second World War using alien technology. We're trying-"
Yes, quite the bomb to someone who hasn't been on the inside of the superhero world, isn't it?

"You're trying."

"-to talk her around and so's Superman, actually."

Winning quite a lot of points from me there, actually. Not that he's likely to ever use them without prompting. Can't be because I Dannered Lois…
Good grief! She went for it after all? I almost pity the next thug who tries pushing her around, or the next to try and kidnap her... They'll be begging to be taken in, no doubt.

There's a beep and the door unlocks, prompting the three of us to walk through the small and unmanned lobby into the lift.

Dawn Warrior is a superhero, but with no secret identity… He lives in the sort of apartment that he used to get paid to protect. His protection jobs these days are rather better paying, and his schedule is a lot more flexible. He volunteers with the police, and him being able to resolve situations without needing to open fire himself has kept the number of police-related fatalities noticeably lower than other Brazilian cities of comparable size. It's a… Different way of doing things.
And surprisingly reasonable. I bet he saves the local cops quite a bit of money compared to a SWAT team operation...

"You…" Dr Munro looks a little awkward. I suppose that he did get the 'Nazi' thing sprung on him. Hoping that Raquel wouldn't tell people about that was a little hopeful. "Got.. trained by Green-. Ah, the original Green Lantern, right?"

"If I got trained by the original Green Lantern I'd be millions of years old." I smile at Dr Munro as the lift comes to a halt. "But yes, the one who used to be in the Justice Society."
<Snrk> Yeah, I doubt Arnold would make that distinction. Still surprised he wasn't involved in the hero business himself. He was basically the replacement for Superman when DC rewrote their continuity concerning the early days. Unless he was during the fifties?

"And the All-Star Squadron."

"Yes. He stayed for the whole cleanup here and wrote his resignation letter on the way home."
After seeing that, I'm not surprised...

Raquel frowns. "He didn't stop being a superhero, though."

"He cut down his hours a lot. He still won't look at the pictures."
Bit of PTSD there, I suspect. But he's had fifty years to cope with it...

Dr Munro nods as I knock on Dawn Warrior's door. "I know how he feels."

Beatriz opens the door and I lead the way inside. Dawn Warrior himself is sitting in his living area, wearing blue jeans and a white t-shirt. He raises his right hand and lazily waves it.

"Orange Lantern and god!"
No, no, It's an easy mistake to make for some people, I know...

His eyes widen in shock as he gets a clear look at Dr Munro.

"Ah…" Dr Munro bows his head slightly. "No. No, though… Some of your parent's people thought that my father was one."
This might make settling down the tribes a bit easier then.

Dawn Warrior stands up, clearly shaken by the resemblance. "You look… So much like him."

Dr Munro nods. "Good job my mother's husband never met him. So, can you tell us what's going on?"
Heh, I'd pity him if he tried to hurt his wife's son...

Dawn Warrior's still staring at him, clearly not quite crediting that he's meeting his creator's son.

"No. But I can get in contact with the people who can. My tribe -and the others your father tried to help- are very cautious about contact with the outside." He smiles. "Did you know that my grandfather was the first of my people to meet him, Hugo Danner?"
Wow, deep personal connection to the man himself. This will be easy to settle, then.

"I… Didn't. How did it happen?"

"They were keeping watch over some archaeological expedition, when one of them -your father- decided to climb to the top of a mountain during a storm. He was hit by lightning, fell to the ground… And then got up again." Dawn Warrior grins. "And then he started laughing."
Not out of the ordinary for a Danner Enhancile...

Raquel tilts her head to the right.

"What's so funny about being struck my lightning?"

"Hugo Danner the Man-God came to Brazil to get away from everyone who had rejected him in his own country. He climbed the mountain to ask God for advice… And his answer was lightning! Boom!"
That would make quite the impression, both on Hugo and the people watching.

He chuckles, and… Yes, I can see why Hugo might have found very black humour in that.

Beryl frowns. "Why did he call himself 'Man-God'?"
You assume he named himself that?

"He didn't. Ah, he said he was just a man, but they had seen him do things only gods could do! Yes, yes, a woman who can set herself on green fire, and-" He gestures to us. "-a man with an alien ring… But all our tribe had was herbalists and a little weak magic. We had never seen a metahuman like him before. They said he was a god, he said he was a man… So they compromised on Man-God."
Heh. And Hugo probably groaned every time he overheard it. Or started to get a complex from it.

"I've got to ask: how many other enhanciles like you are there?"

"I'm not exactly sure. Making the 'potion of the gods' isn't easy in the jungle-."
Wait, what?!

"What?" / "I beg your pardon?"

"What?" Dawn Warrior shrugs. "Hugo Danner made that stuff in the jungle. We lost his equipment when the American soldiers stole it, but the modern world being what it is, it wasn't hard to get more. And he never hid the process from us."
...Well, damn. That makes matters quite a bit more complicated... Also a possible case study for OL concerning the effects of large groups of Enhanciles.

Dr Munro gapes, and I'm.. not far behind. That's a lot of years and a lot of Danner enhanciles.

"Roughly..? How many..?"

"Couple hundred? It's not just our tribe now. When it got real obvious that the government was going to sell the whole forest, people-. Eh, you know how it works. Pregnant women volunteered."
Wow. Just... Wow.

"And you.. kept it quiet?"

"After we started dying of diseases, the survivors went deep into the jungle to get away. It's hard to make vaccines which people like me can use. But it can be done."
Which presumably explains how he survived contact with the modern population.

"So… What was the plan, here? Why are you telling us?"

"The plan was to protect our territory from loggers, ranchers and the Brazilian government with the threat of violence. I don't know why someone attacked this logging camp early. It was supposed to be a couple of days of overwhelming force, then send me to Brasília to negotiate. Probably some kid being stupid."
...So... It was his idea? Or he was in the know with the tribesfolk...

He shrugs.

"So what do you want to do?"

"You're.. not at all concerned that we might stop you?"
Children of Dawn round 2? Let's hope they're reasonable...

"Not really, and if you try to?" He shrugs again. "How? The Justice League won't approve of you just killing everyone. You could try arresting everyone, but the government has nowhere to put us. Plus… There are a lot of us, now. No, I think that since you are here, it is best that we go and talk to my tribe and maybe start with the negotiations."

He smiles and gestures to his door.

"You gonna come?"
Oh, boy... This will be interesting.. in so many meanings of the word.

Oh... Oh my... And here I thought my estimation of the difficulty making the formula in the jungle was on-target. At least I got close with the whole 'surviving Child of Dawn' theory... But this... This is a massive game-changer. Those discussions of Cold-War-era Danner Enhancile squads just got a lot more on-topic.

Correction:
"What's so funny about being struck my lightning?"
"What's so funny about being struck by lightning?"

I think I really like this Dawn Warrior.
Is he a OC or someone from the comics?
Technically, he was probably on a panel in Young All-Stars. But he's an OC.
Did that happen off-screen? I remember the last conversation between OL and Lois but nothing about it since.
Yes.
I think there's too much hope in this sentence. Maybe 'hopeful' should be change to 'naive' or 'optimistic'?
I see what you're saying, but I think I'll leave it.
Correction: "What's so funny about being struck by lightning?"
Thank you, corrected.
I wonder if the tribes version of the Danner Formula gives lesser results than usual. Like how Jay and Wally's powers are worse than Barry's because of quality differences with the formula they made.
At this point they can probably get better equipment than was available in the thirties.

If OL gave Lois the Danner formula then that solves the whole man of steel woman of kleenex issue.
First renegade helps Ghost Fox Killer and August General in Iron with their sex life and now paragon helps someone else too.

Why do I see these negotiations going the same way as the negotiations between Karmang and the Reds.

I wonder if the tribes version of the Danner Formula gives lesser results than usual. Like how Jay and Wally's powers are worse than Barry's because of quality differences with the formula they made.

In the comics they were, but in Young All-Stars Hugo Danner had to make substitutions from locally available herbs for the chemicals that he no longer had access to.

Zoat's version was apparently better prepared.

Since Zoat made it alchemical I'm not sure if substitutions would even work here in this story.

I think I really like this Dawn Warrior.
Is he a OC or someone from the comics?

Considering his response to Iron's appearance, Dawn Warrior might be one of the surviving Sons of Dawn, in which case he'd be unnamed Son of Dawn number 5 or something.

Last edited:
Children of Dawn round 2? Let's hope they're reasonable...
On the one hand, reasonableness is nice.
One the other hand, what I have heard in the story makes me thing "Fuck the Brazilian Government."

I mean if turnabout is fair play, the equitable thing to do would be to annex or assert ownership of the capital, and then sell of out from under the people living there to be torn down and sold for scrap.

If OL and the heroes aren't supposed to care about the jungle inhabitants when they are called in when the loggers and government were exploiting them, why are they supposed to care about the other side doing the exploitation for a change?

Let's have a 'Here, Here!' for even handed indifference instead of the 'Status quo is God' the DC universe usually gets. Plan on doing absolutely nothing to uphold the current regime, and make sure everyone knows that going into negotiations.

(I'm still a bit bitter about the Harpy and the island they lived on bing annexed/claimed by Greece (when they had probably lived there longer then the current country of greece had existed) because Wonder Woman couldn't be arsed enough to do her job properly when she was called in.)

I'm pretty sure that the Harpies don't care that they were annexed.
They may not be occupied so they probably aren't complaining, they have their fish so don't have to worry about starving and probably only have to promise not to attack boats, unless they are illegally fishing in their waters.
Also there is the fact that Wonder Woman spoke up for them and that carries a lot of weight, as does the fact that the greek economy is being run by a greek god who may have a soft spot for the Harpies and can pull strings

Various governments across the world are going to freak the fuck out over hundreds of super-people with no ties to anything but their own group. Every last one is going to be pestering Lex and Monroe for the formula so they can make their own force of super-babies, laws against human experimentation be damned. Congrats on starting the latest arms race.

So, now that Lois is Dannered up, how long until the conspiracy theory that she is actually Wonder Woman('s secret sister / daughter / niece) starts making the rounds?

Because no matter how stupid it is with Diana having no secret identity, there will be idiots peddling it based solely on her relationship with Superman (and shipping). Also, it'll be deeply ironic if Lois was considered to be a secret superhero, rather than Clark, and thus narrativium will make it happen.

Various governments across the world are going to freak the fuck out over hundreds of super-people with no ties to anything but their own group. Every last one is going to be pestering Lex and Monroe for the formula so they can make their own force of super-babies, laws against human experimentation be damned. Congrats on starting the latest arms race.
Hey, look on the orange side: it wasn't the SI this time!

So, now that Lois is Dannered up, how long until the conspiracy theory that she is actually Wonder Woman('s secret sister / daughter / niece) starts making the rounds?

Because no matter how stupid it is with Diana having no secret identity, there will be idiots peddling it based solely on her relationship with Superman (and shipping). Also, it'll be deeply ironic if Lois was considered to be a secret superhero, rather than Clark, and thus narrativium will make it happen.
"Oh, no, it's because Orange Lantern figured out how to give someone that super strength formula that the international community is panicking about post-utero, and figured I could use it because of all the abductions."

"Why?"

"You threw a planet at me."

I can see governments wanting their own super strong soldiers after finding out that an entire small army that can destroy a very big army has been hiding out in Brazil.

Are they really that big a deal? You can still wipe them out with chemical weapons if they actually try to attack in force. They're more useful as guerrillas than as an army.

Though I'm half expecting Overgirl to do something stupid.

"Ah, terrorists. This I know how to deal with."

If things get messy during negotiations, as I am sure they will, then OL could simply create constructs around the heads of the enchanciles and shoot them with sleeping gas.

What Dawn Warrior said is ringing all the same bells in my head that Ozymandias' line of "I did it thirty five minutes ago" rang.

They were just discussing what if a nation made hundreds to thousands of enhanced people, and found one. The catch is that these guys live in the Amazon. So conventional warfare or mass bombing is out.

This will be fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back