• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Paul's reasoning made perfect sense to me. Where do you think he went wrong?
It's Vaermina. In Vae-land, anything Paul (or Grayven) does is axiomatically incorrect, impolite, and exhibits moral turpitude. In the parallel version of the story that he reads, Paul routinely kicks puppies, steals candy from babies, and ties damsels to train tracks.

Politely, it's best to ignore Vae. Impolitely, Vae is a fucking idiot and the only thing that you'll get out of talking to him is a headache.

No, they're our freedom fighters from a decade or three ago.
This runs the legitimate risk of violating QQ's rules on discussing actual real-world politics and is less relevant to the current meat of the story than even the large digression from yesterday.

Please refrain.

Paul's reasoning made perfect sense to me. Where do you think he went wrong?
This isn't a world of robots.

Assume Paul goes though with his ham handed plan. How do you think a non-static world filled with humans would respond?

Because I will tell you, the Kingdom of Atlantis cuts off all trade, and severs all free movement, they then pressure the rest of the world to cut all trade and because the rest of the world legally controls the air space Paul's space fleet can't intervene without declaring war on the Green Lantern corp.

And that's not even taking into account that Paul basically just wiped out what little soft power he might have left after that thing with Brazil.

It's SirKaid. In SirKaid-land, anything Paul (or Grayven) does is axiomatically incorrect, impolite, and exhibits moral turpitude. In the parallel version of the story that he reads, Paul routinely kicks puppies, steals candy from babies, and ties damsels to train tracks.

Politely, it's best to ignore SirKaid. Impolitely, SirKaid is a fucking idiot and the only thing that you'll get out of talking to him is a headache.
I fixed that for you.

Seriously, if you want to make an argument that someone is wrong about a thing at least put a little more effort into it. Unless of course you want them to just respond to you the same.

**I am Lord-Lantern Manga Khan, and I am proud to announce that your system has been chosen as the new site of ClusterCorp's ongoing megasale! You will shop! You will consume! We will be enriched! Or else! ClusterCorp: for all your needs, forever!**
I believe there is a motto "Shop until You Drop" (a US game show?); sounds like the sort of behaviour this... gentleman would approve of...

I now remember this long-forgotten character, the wiki links helped. Seems to regard just about anything as something to be bought and sold. I recall, at the time, I felt some pity for the poor robot, L-Ron...

Maybe OL should try and find what L-Ron really wants? The answer to that could be interesting, though, maybe not that useful. :)

The Salesman Orange Lantern - makes a good argument for someone to be dropped in a virtual reality trading game, with a really long-life power supply... Of course, that would be in really serious breach of his 'human' rights...

Congratulations, Mr Zoat, on really shaking things up, again!

This isn't a world of robots.

Assume Paul goes though with his ham handed plan. How do you think a non-static world filled with humans would respond?

Because I will tell you, the Kingdom of Atlantis cuts off all trade, and severs all free movement, they then pressure the rest of the world to cut all trade and because the rest of the world legally controls the air space Paul's space fleet can't intervene without declaring war on the Green Lantern corp.

And that's not even taking into account that Paul basically just wiped out what little soft power he might have left after that thing with Brazil.

I fixed that for you.

Seriously, if you want to make an argument that someone is wrong about a thing at least put a little more effort into it. Unless of course you want them to just respond to you the same.

That would be a thing, if he was in any way trying to convince you of anything. Why would you think that was the case in a post explicitly advocating not interacting with you? Now, I have no actual stake in this not knowing either of you, but I don't understand why people so hostile to each other wouldn't simply use the ignore function. You'd both save each other the headache of interacting, and start less arguments.

Was just looking up Manga Khan and saw that at one point he was selling soap that literally cleaned souls. It led to Apokolips going into rebellion as the Lowlies became good people. If they weaponize it then they can actually beat Darkseid. All of Earth+New Genesis+GoodApokolips= beaten Darkseid. Never thought a joke character could be such a pain to Darkseid who is pretty much the personification of evil and tyranny.

And with armour that covers his abs.
Why not just assume the grey part in the middle is armour, just sculpted like many greek/hoplite armors were, and then colored in Grayvens skin tone like how some cheerleader uniforms might do the same.

the fuck Dox, where are you finding these nutso

i though Paul was suppose to be the one finding weirdo into the Corp
You know how it goes.

OL recruits a space station followed by a planet, thus forcing the ever-so-humble Dox to make someone Hold His Beer, because god forbid someone upstage him at something...

Come on, the Corps is less than a year old. I don't think anyone's decided on his exact duties and privileges...
Well as the #2 ranking person in the Corp, and Tactical/Field Commander to Dax's Strategic Commander, someone like that's authority normally is 'Is in charge of the OL CORPS wherever he shows up, with the authority to do whatever he wants, unless explicitly countermanded by Dox or the steering council on a case by case basis' This is the kind of position that usually has the authority to countermand or change standing orders from headquarters as needed to respond to the reality of situations in the field.

With the added factor that he is on the NEMO Council, and is 1/7 his boss's boss. There is a reason Dox wanted OL to absent himself for a bit so he could establish himself apart from OL.

Alas, if only those short-sighted Orange Lanterns had access to interstellar resources and had a method (or twelve) of bypassing the intervening space... like, for instance, zeta transportation. Or the magic gates. Yup, no way at all to keep the city state supplied while working through international courts. And of course the rest of the world would have no interest at all in an alternate source of magical expertise, breaking Atlantis' monopoly on the subject and bringing prices down. Nope, even landlocked states would surely bow down instantly to pressure from the nation that has been such a stable member of the international community for so long... Well, a decade and change since coming out of their isolationist stance. With at least one attempt at a civil war. Yup. Total non starter. No chance at all of working.

Last edited:
**Greeting, Earthlings and future customers!**

Mr Hol's grimace suggests that he heard that. I glance at Orin and Kaldur and from their responses they heard that too.

**I am Lord-Lantern Manga Khan, and I am proud to announce that your system has been chosen as the new site of ClusterCorp's ongoing megasale! You will shop! You will consume! We will be enriched! Or else! ClusterCorp: for all your needs, forever!**

Slowly, the attention of the others turns towards me.

"Don't look at me. I didn't give him a power ring."
That went in a completely different direction that what I expected. I love the fact that Mr Zoat can add these amusing characters and can make them relevant to the story. I do hope however that Tillettit doesn't know about this guy, as they believe the OLC should have only one Lord in the OLC, the Lord Illustres. I kinda hope that Paul can get this guy to be a little more reasonable, without changing that much about how he operates. I am really loving how this chapter is going so far and I can't wait to see how this will play out.

That went in a completely different direction that what I expected. I love the fact that Mr Zoat can add these amusing characters and can make them relevant to the story. I do hope however that Tillettit doesn't know about this guy, as they believe the OLC should have only one Lord in the OLC, the Lord Illustres. I kinda hope that Paul can get this guy to be a little more reasonable, without changing that much about how he operates. I am really loving how this chapter is going so far and I can't wait to see how this will play out.

It may actually be a good thing to inform them of this guy if they respect the OLC.

By this I mean they will see that they are capable of being silly sometimes and it can make them more relatable.

When you tried teleporting back to earth they had a machine set up that transferred you to their base. I thought they had defenses set up to defend the system?

The SI may have done that on purpose.

Manga Khan may also have the equipment necessary to avoid things like that from happening to him.

Genuine question. What does Atlantis lose if Venturia secedes?
They lose face and some pride.
It also makes Orin look bad to the people.
Remember it wasn't too long ago he was facing a bit of an insurrection led by his brother.
this could spark a resurgence of the purist faction or start giving other city states ideas.

And it's an economic hit if the break away city starts opening trade with the surface.
Atlantis would have to start biding against itself.

Wouldn't the Sivanas have stopped them from entering the system?
Paul probably gave them a heads up or at least a means of identifying LEGION Fleets

plus they are looking specifically for sheeda fleets, they let the league worry about normal alien conquerors

But naturally, I talked the issue through with Clarissi Vril Dox, who can deploy both Orange Lanterns and LEGION fleet resources on his own recognisance, and he agreed to it.
Not completely sure, but I think this may be wrong. It sounds like it fits, but I think the term is for an obligation. I can't find a definition online that fits here.

Maybe "on his own initiative"?

Constantine specifically asked him not to do that, when John Constantine tells you not to look at something you'd do well to listen to him

Good point, but still when he meets him again I predict fireworks, the bad kind, will be fired.

Constantine is essentially now having chaos magic flowing through his system 24/7 and Mordru said there was a risk that the Lord in question could potentially become mentally influenced to behave more like the creatures that arise from the planes of Order or Chaos, unless they channel the opposite magic, which Constantine may not be aware of how to do.

This will go swimmingly.

….For the past 2 years I have been writing notes for a Young Justice SI fic after being inspired by "With This Ring", over those years I have repeatedly been shocked to find Zoat pulling out plotlines and scenarios similar to what I thought where creative and original ideas and then doing them way better than what I was planning.

But I consoled myself "It's fine, my whole story revolves around an alien megacorp arriving in Sol and the various political, economic and technological changes that arise from Earth and Mars being abruptly integrated into an intergalactic market. No matter how similar a few plotlines may be there is no possible way that such a specific idea would show up in the very story that inspired me".

…..The very first chapter of my story draft revolves around a giant alien ship arriving in Sol and blasting out an advertisement which ends with a slick corporate motto....

Are you psychic Mr Zoat? Or am I just really unoriginal?

….For the past 2 years I have been writing notes for a Young Justice SI fic after being inspired by "With This Ring", over those years I have repeatedly been shocked to find Zoat pulling out plotlines and scenarios similar to what I thought where creative and original ideas and then doing them way better than what I was planning.

But I consoled myself "It's fine, my whole story revolves around an alien megacorp arriving in Sol and the various political, economic and technological changes that arise from Earth and Mars being abruptly integrated into an intergalactic market. No matter how similar a few plotlines may be there is no possible way that such a specific idea would show up in the very story that inspired me".

…..The very first chapter of my story draft revolves around a giant alien ship arriving in Sol and blasting out an advertisement which ends with a slick corporate motto....

Really hope you write this story, it really sounds interesting.

If you have already written it and just didn't post it here, could you leave a link for it, or just notify us when you post it?

What is the name of your story?

Don't worry.

CapsuleCorp isn't slick.

Even slightly.

Also, we're both trying to crib off the best of what DC sends forth. It's inevitable that some of what our avaricious eyes alight on will be the same. If it's any consolation, they're really only going to be the focus of one episode.

Edit: Sorry, ClusterCorp. Not CapsuleCorp.

Last edited:
Don't worry.

CapsuleCorp isn't slick.

Even slightly.

Also, we're both trying to crib off the best of what DC sends forth. It's inevitable that some of what our avaricious eyes alight on will be the same. If it's any consolation, they're really only going to be the focus of one episode.
*Wipes sweat off brow*
Well that's a relief! Writing a fic inspired by yours already feels like writing a fantasy book based on lord of the rings book 1 while Tolkien is still releasing books, if you started an entire arc based on a megacorp I would feel like some guy writing "hey wouldn't it be cool if the main character was corrupted just before the heroes won?" a day before book 3 came out....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back