• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

so we got another paul with an adopted daughter now?

Welcome back Annie
latest

Unfortunetly Zoat said he's not going to adopt her.

I've just had a revelation...

Does Paul wear his ring on his left finger because he's left handed???

He has more that one ring that he wears on both hands I think.

Low Politics (part 11)
7th April
23:19 GMT +2

Lex walks slowly back towards his jet, with Ms Graves and I on either side.

"So, that just happened."

"Yes." Mr Luthor nods. "Yes, it did."

"First impressions?"

"Between the waffle, pontificating and wandering tangents, I could barely decipher what it is that he's actually planning. I think it might be wise for me to speak with the ClusterCorp board of directors and offer them my services."

"He's not as stupid as he sounds. It's not wise to project onto non-humanoid species."

"Does he know enough about our culture to encourage us to underestimate him with such… Precision?"

"I would be surprised, but I wouldn't rule it out."

"How.. badly would your colleagues in the Justice League react if I did have commercial dealings with him?"

"A mild increase in hostility towards ClusterCorp. They're already as hostile towards you as they can get without bringing it into the open."

"Ah. I find it rather a shame that-."

I don't even let him finish his platitude before rolling my eyes. "Please."

"As you wish. Still, it would be beneficial to present a united front."

"There are too many people on Earth to present a united front. And while I don't think that the League will oppose your lawful dealings out of spite, that's the exact limit of what they'll do to cooperate with you."

"That might make a successful resolution of this crisis harder to achieve."

"You should have thought of that before you signed up with Savage. Or said 'no' to me."

"You tried to implicate me in some rather serious crimes."

"I wasn't trying to implicate you. I was trying to exculpate you, to give you better options for achieving your legitimate goals. You and Truggs…" I shake my head. "I'd be a lot happier about this if I wasn't expected to somehow 'fix' it."

Mr Luthor stops at the bottom of the stairs up into his jet.

"You don't have to."

"It's like watching a child play in the front garden. I don't feel obliged to put reins on them, but I really think I should keep an eye out in case they start running towards the road."

"At.. which.. point, you… Guide them back inside the house?"

"At which point I gently guide them away from the road and then go back on overwatch."

"I.. fear we may be pushing the metaphor further than it can withstand. But I take your point. Out of curiosity, what would the rest of the ClusterCorp do if their ship was destroyed or seized?"

"I'm not sure. They do have better armed ships. If it was seized then I imagine that they'd take it back. If it was destroyed… In the past they've seized property from the aggressor or sued them. Neither really apply here. I suppose they might try taking orbital infrastructure-"

Like the Watchtower or the Xenon base. But I'm not sure who officially or unofficially knows about either of them and I'm confident that the League wouldn't be pleased if I confirmed the existence of anything in conversation with Mr Luthor.

"-or retaliating, but they're a private enterprise and there's little profit in revenge." I smile. "If you take it where no one can see, and the reason that it's taken this long for this to happen is that no one's watching Earth. And of course that sort of thing would make it a League problem."

"Mm. I wonder why they chose now?"

"Ah. That was me. There's a political dispute in Atlantis and I decided to back the weaker party. I thought Dox would send me a regular LEGION fleet. Instead, we get this."

"You were..? Planning on bringing a fleet into near-Earth space?"

"Oh, come on, Mister Luthor. I brought a planet into near-Earth space. The fact that I'd bring a fleet here is hardly a strange idea, and no surface world country cares about Venturia."

Hm. An.. idea is occurring.

I haven't wanted to introduce advanced alien technology myself because I was concerned that it would have a stupefying influence on human civilisation. But if Earth is going to get access to alien technology anyway, then I'm perfectly capable of making anything ClusterCorp does unprofitable by undercutting them. 'Lord-Lantern Comic King' doesn't strike me as someone who would be prepared to work on matter transmutation 24-7.

Or I could find a competitor or two and invite them here. Or a mercenary fleet with orders to enforce a particular set of customs arrangements. Amalak would be happy to take on that role, I'm sure, and we're too far away from his centre of power to have to worry about him annexing the planet. There isn't really any group in this Sector that I'd want to-.

Thanagar. Is Thanagar going to be 'officially concerned' about this? If I decide to take any action I'll have to check with the Hawks.

"Venturia?"

"An Atlantean city-state. I'm afraid that the incident has already soured relations between myself and King Orin, so if you want more information I direct you in the direction of Ambassador Vallambrosa."

"I quite understand. I can grasp the implication of you calling in a fleet."

"Right. So -just so we don't step on each other's toes- what are you planning on doing about this?"

"I'm.. still in the planning stages. As I said earlier, this has.. really been nothing like what I thought the Earth's first contact with an alien corporation would be like."

"Okay, of course you're not obliged to tell me anything. But if you don't tell.. me..."

Competent authority.

"Paul?"

"Sorry, I-. I can't tell Manga Khan-"

"Lord-Lantern!"

"-what to do while he's not on the clock, but I can still discipline him for breaking our code of conduct."

"Which.. includes trading with worlds like Earth?"

"No, that's fine. Like I said, he's not on the clock. But because the Orange Lantern Corps is trying to build a defensive alliance, there are rules about how Lanterns are obliged to relate to governments we might want to open direct negotiations with. They're.. pretty relaxed, and…"

I look out across the night time desert.

"I now realise exactly why he's here rather than a few miles north or south. I'm also revising upwards my estimate of his intelligence."

Hm.

"I'm going to do some reading. Get in touch when you've formulated a corporate strategy and I'll let you know what I've got."

Last edited:
7th April
23:19 GMT +2

Lex walks slowly back towards his jet, with Ms Graves and I on either side.

"So, that just happened."

"Yes." Mr Luthor nods. "Yes, it did."
Two 'sane' men, in a mad, mad, world. Your opinion of Lex's sanity may vary... And also of OL's...

"First impressions?"

"Between the waffle, pontificating and wandering tangents, I could barely decipher what it is that he's actually planning. I think it might be wise for me to speak with the ClusterCorp board of directors and offer them my services."
Lex, run in circles by corporate marketing speak? Was Manga Khan that incomprehensible?

"He's not as stupid as he sounds. It's not wise to project onto non-humanoid species."

"Does he know enough about our culture to encourage us to underestimate him with such… Precision?"
Given that all his knowledge of humanity seems to come from the internet... I shudder at the thought.

"I would be surprised, but I wouldn't rule it out."

"How.. badly would your colleagues in the Justice League react if I did have commercial dealings with him?"

"A mild increase in hostility towards ClusterCorps. They're already as hostile towards you as they can get without bringing it into the open."
And that would mean having to explain to regular citizens why they're so hostile. Which would open them up to Slander lawsuits...

"Ah. I find it rather a shame that-."

I don't even let him finish his platitude before rolling my eyes. "Please."
OL really wants Lex to stop pretending he's not a supervillian, huh? Given how much it annoys him. Of course, that has its' drawbacks, like Lex running around in purple and green powered armour...

"As you wish. Still, it would be beneficial to present a united front."

"There are too many people on Earth to present a united front. And while I don't think that the League will oppose your lawful dealings out of spite, that's the exact limit of what they'll do to cooperate with you."
Sort of a 'we may not be allowed to arrest you, but that doesn't mean we have to bother protecting you.' thing.

"That might make a successful resolution of this crisis harder to achieve."

"You should have thought of that before you signed up with Savage. Or said 'no' to me."
Admittedly, I have the suspicion that he's simply in too deep to pull out now. Savage probably arranged for any manner of 'contract-breaking' punishments by way of Klarion... Who knows if such things are still active?

"You tried to implicate me in some rather serious crimes."

"I wasn't trying to implicate you. I was trying to exculpate you, to give you better options for achieving your legitimate goals. You and Truggs…" I shake my head. "I'd be a lot happier about this is I wasn't expected to somehow 'fix' it."
To be fair, most of Lex's problems with Superman seem reasonable at first glance, like the whole 'encouraging complacency' thing. The problem is that he's taken it all too personally to think clearly about it... Truggs? Some assholes always trying to ice-skate uphill... Grand goal, poor execution.

Mr Luthor stops at the bottom of the stairs up into his jet.

"You don't have to."
Unfortunately, when all your peers seem to be standing back and looking at you...

"It's like watching a child play in the front garden. I don't feel obliged to put reins on them, but I really think I should keep an eye out in case they start running towards the road."

"At.. which.. point, you… Guide them back inside the house?"
Bit too much, Lex. That sort of thinking leads to things like participation trophies...

"At which point I gently guide them away from the road and then go back on overwatch."

"I.. fear we may be pushing the metaphor further than it can withstand. But I take your point. Out of curiosity, what would the rest of the ClusterCorp do if their ship was destroyed or seized?"
ClusterCorp brings an alien lawsuit against the entities responsible? And we've seen how some alien cultures settle lawsuits...

"I'm not sure. They do have better armed ships. If it was seized then I imagine that they'd take it back. If it was destroyed… In the past they've seized property from the aggressor or sued them. Neither really apply here. I suppose they might try taking orbital infrastructure-"

Like the Watchtower or the Xenon base. But I'm not sure who officially or unofficially knows about either of them and I'm confident that the League wouldn't be pleased if I confirmed the existence of anything in conversation with Mr Luthor.
True. I'm sure Lex suspects the Watchtower exists, but the Kryptonian moonbase remnant? Not so much...

"-or retaliating, but they're a private enterprise and there's little profit in revenge." I smile. "If you take it where no one can see, and the reason that it's taken this long for this to happen is that no one's watching Earth. And of course that sort of thing would make it a League problem."

"Mm. I wonder why they chose now?"
Oooh... OL, wanna take that one?

"Ah. That was me. There's a political dispute in Atlantis and I decided to back the weaker party. I thought Dox would send me a regular LEGION fleet. Instead, we get this."

"You were..? Planning on bringing a fleet into near-Earth space?"
Lex, you do remember Lantern Mother of Mercy showing up? It wouldn't be his first go-round.

"Oh, come on, Mister Luthor. I brought a planet into near-Earth space. The fact that I'd bring a fleet here is hardly a strange idea, and no surface world country cares about Venturia."

Hm. An.. idea is occurring.
Oh, dear... Chances of this turning out poorly?

I haven't wanted to introduce advanced alien technology myself because I was concerned that it would have a stupefying influence on human civilisation. But if Earth is going to get access to alien technology anyway, then I'm perfectly capable of making anything ClusterCorp does unprofitable by undercutting them. 'Lord-Lantern Comic King' doesn't strike me as someone who would be prepared to work on matter transmutation 24-7.
The problem is sustainability. Would you want to commit to doing it yourself, given all your other projects?

Or I could find a competitor or two and invite them here. Or a mercenary fleet with orders to enforce a particular set of customs arrangements. Amalak would be happy to take on that role, I'm sure, and we're too far away from his centre of power to have to worry about him annexing the planet. There isn't really any group in this Sector that I'd want to-.

Thanagar. Is Thanagar going to be 'officially concerned' about this? If I decide to take any action I'll have to check with the Hawks.
Yes, good plan. Check first before leaping into action. Just look where that got Lex: in hock to a caveman up to his ginger eyebrows.

"Venturia?"

"An Atlantean city-state. I'm afraid that the incident has already soured relations between myself and King Orin, so if you want more information I direct you in the direction of Ambassador Vallambrosa."
Oh, boy. Likelihood of Lex throwing his oar into the situation? I can see him wanting to get a non-atlantean way to access magitech...

"I quite understand. I can grasp the implication of you calling in a fleet."

"Right. So -just so we don't step on each other's toes- what are you planning on doing about this?"
Wouldn't want to pull something only to discover the Light was doing the same thing. Imagine the Xanatos Pileups...

"I'm.. still in the planning stages. As I said earlier, this has.. really been nothing like what I thought the Earth's first contact with a alien corporation would be like."

"Okay, of course you're not obliged to tell me anything. But if you don't tell.. me..."

Competent authority.
Interesting logical leap. Something Lex said, or he said to Lex, sinking into his subconscious?

"Paul?"

"Sorry, I-. I can't tell Manga Khan-"

"Lord-Lantern!"
Rude, Manga Khan! Listening in to customer discussions like that...

"-what to do while he's not on the clock, I can still discipline him for breaking our code of conduct."

"Which.. includes trading with worlds like Earth?"
Unfortunately, that's on the list of approved activities...

"No, that's fine. Like I said, he's not on the clock. But because the Orange Lantern Corps is trying to build a defensive alliance, there are rules about how Lanterns are obliged to relate to governments we might want to open direct negotiations with. They're.. pretty relaxed, and…"

I look out across the night time desert.

"I now realise exactly why he's here rather than a few miles north or south. I'm also revising upwards my estimate of his intelligence."
Ah... The same reason he picked neutral Antarctic territory? No clear claim of ownership by any government... But... He chose to drop into outback Australia, which isn't unclaimed...

Hm.

"I'm going to do some reading. Get in touch when you've formulated a corporate strategy and I'll let you know what I've got."
Caught out by a loophole. Manga Khan's going down Capone-style. Hmm... If he does sell something, how are they going to handle import duties?:sneaky:

And now OL's motivated to, as he put it, 'fix it himself'. I have to wonder what he's planning, but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough... And with a time jump, that's a good chance to see another Paul's return to their universe.

...first contact with a alien corporation...
...first contact with an alien corporation...

Last edited:
Hm it is possible that the members of the Light need to give some kind of magic oath now when they join so as to not betray the group.

Even if they don't have Klarion they still have other magic users and they may have Circe, assuming she's working for the group as a whole and not just partnered up with Truggs.

2157965-letter_9.jpeg

aec68fb16c46a7ecfcbbc9d73acd750b.jpg

Let's not turn this into a contest to see which of us can find a more disgusting picture of him, please and thank you.

This site may be more lenient on things like this than SB and SV, but there may be a limit.

My pic had him with nipple rings. That is much more disturbing than him just wearing underwear.

Last edited:
I would just like to remind people that this thread is not in the NSFW section. That means that anything you say, and anything you post, is indexed by google and viewable by your grandmother. And there's no guarantee she's not getting off on it.

I would just like to remind people that this thread is not in the NSFW section. That means that anything you say, and anything you post, is indexed by google and viewable by your grandmother. And there's no guarantee she's not getting off on it.

Good for her,then.

He's decided to go for a con job. You know, somehow make Lord Comic King believe that competent authority actually exists in that universe.

There are limits to what even a reality warper can do.

So the exact position has something to do with League engagement protocols? Khan found some badly worded loophole?

There are limits to what even a reality warper can do.

So the exact position has something to do with League engagement protocols? Khan found some badly worded loophole?
I think it's more the fact that he's landed in legitimately unclaimed territory (the two nations with the best potential claims each say that it belongs to the other), and thus isn't directly engaging with any local government in their territory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back