• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

How exactly does Paul over rely on the AI function? Honestly I'm not sure he's using it enough.

As for the orange light, if you know going in what it does, and specifically prepare yourself mentally and philosophically for it, and you still come out some form of insane avarice exalt instead of a human that's pretty heady stuff, I don't think it's been nerfed, just channeled effectively.

Zoat how much of a ring charge does Lord Protector have actually?
It varies between 0% and 100%.
Zoat in the second Lantern Coprs Ho chapter it says 'they want to go home'

Maybe it can be 'they wanted to go home' because LP is explaining what happened in the past and you may also have to change 'won't allow that' to 'wouldn't allow that'
No, it's as it's supposed to be.
He probably did and is probably already experimenting on it.
Why waste time trying to genetically engineer new people when you can just do neural rewrites on the ones you've already got?

Well, I for one am happy to be manipulated by cuteness like this. It costs me nothing unlike the SI, so there's no reason not to put Spider Daughter into the adorable category and think no more about it.

I mean... Does it even cost HIM anything? He was already planning to do the very thing that was the goal of the manipulation. It's just positive feedback is all.

Overlooking the obvious cuteness, the little Guilder could be first step for serious social change among Spider Guild in general along with improving their rep. It's a good move overall I feel.

How exactly does Paul over rely on the AI function? Honestly I'm not sure he's using it enough.
The key insight here is that Vaermina takes it as axiomatic that everything the SI does is bad. However much OL makes of the ring's AI, it is the wrong amount precisely because it is the amount that the SI chose. If the SI had made different choices, the correct answer would shift accordingly.

Ring, updated internal map… Thank you.
Wasn't sure if at least some of this should be orange. Doesn't OL need to want to communicate with his ring AI?

I think we can call this episode a success...

I do wonder if this is a Princess Spider Guilder, in the same sense that the Queen is one who can make a new Nest... I don't recall if being a female Guilder means that automatically. If so, the Queen has really pulled out all the stops in grabbing OL by the philosophicals...

Other detail is, has the Queen programmed our Orange Light candidate, here, with fast maturation? If so, that can pose physical risks, and if OL does a full ring scan he may spot these. Which, could put him under even more pressure. It's all in the details...

Curious if you have a name, other than 'Kumo-chan', for this junior Guilder. 'Jorogumo' might not be bad, 'Joro' for short?

And...

The Spider Guild, as it traditionally works, is doomed. Just calling that, now...

Last edited:
Basically Vaermina has a mindset similar to Rider from Fate Cero.

Rider: This life can get pretty crazy. And you can't go through it getting along with everyone. So if you gotta hate somebody, hate Lancer. Right?

Just replace Lancer with Paul and I think you've got Vaerminas personality down.

Last edited:
No what I am saying is as a native speaker what she said made no sense, the reaction of any greek to what she said would be "eh?"
Also the greek language (modern or ancient) does not work like that.

If you want a nickname that incorporates "his love of the octopedal form" may I suggest "arachnakias" or "arachnis" ?
(both of those are teasing to some extent even if the second one is closer to a proper name)

Unless you want to go vulgar in which case I suggest "arachnogamias" which is indeed what you think it is.
Wouldn't Arachneros, with some poetic allowances, mean something like "Spidery"?
At least I think that Zoat was going for something like "Xenios" and other such ancient nicknames that means as much as "X is what this guy is about". Maybe Αράχνειος (arachnios) would be a fair fit.

Edit: Actually, given that Themysciran is closer to ancient Greek and that the somethingphile term started as a clear euphemism (philos meaning friend) Arachnophilos might actually not be that on the nose for an Amazon. Or maybe, a bit more politely, Philarachnos.

Last edited:
I mean, technically speaking Paul isn't actually a very good lantern himself relying almost exclusively on his ring's AI to do everything for him.
...fuckin wat.

"Isn't actually a very good Lantern"? The guy is basically life partners with Ophidian. He literally wrote the book on how to be an effective Orange Lantern without losing your sanity. He achieved avarice enlightenment in a matter of a few minutes, whilst under enormous pressure. He also wrote the book on how sane Orange Lanterns can be effective in combat, even against highly capable/powerful opponents, and has shared some invaluable inspiration with the GLC that is slowly making its way through their training doctrine. He's also such a good Lantern that he's noted from the very beginning how important it was to augment your ring-based capabilities with technological, magical, and resource-based capabilities as well, so that you get hard-countered by as few things and situations as possible.

Plus, I mean...he literally taught the Embodiment of Avarice how to avarice better.

If you want an Orange Lantern that is just really good at making really strong, simple constructs that does not rely at all on ring AI, then get Larfleeze. And as we see in canon/this story, Larfleeze is exactly why being "a very good lantern that doesn't rely on ring AI" is a terrible thing for an Orange Lantern. It means that you're pretty insane, unable to prioritize or maintain perspective, unable to have any kind of long-term goals or self-control, unable to adapt or solve any problem that doesn't involve lots of indiscriminate brute force and assimilation.

Not to mention the fact that Paul has repeatedly shown that he actually does have some significant capability even without his ring. Like when he forcibly called his ring back off of Truggs, taking Truggs' finger with him. Or when he called Ragnar's ring off of his finger in the middle of a close-range duel, whilst unarmed. Or the fact that his soul is basically baby-Ophidian, complete with the ability to Brand people?

...fuckin wat.

"Isn't actually a very good Lantern"? The guy is basically life partners with Ophidian. He literally wrote the book on how to be an effective Orange Lantern without losing your sanity. He achieved avarice enlightenment in a matter of a few minutes, whilst under enormous pressure. He also wrote the book on how sane Orange Lanterns can be effective in combat, even against highly capable/powerful opponents, and has shared some invaluable inspiration with the GLC that is slowly making its way through their training doctrine. He's also such a good Lantern that he's noted from the very beginning how important it was to augment your ring-based capabilities with technological, magical, and resource-based capabilities as well, so that you get hard-countered by as few things and situations as possible.

Plus, I mean...he literally taught the Embodiment of Avarice how to avarice better.

If you want an Orange Lantern that is just really good at making really strong, simple constructs that does not rely at all on ring AI, then get Larfleeze. And as we see in canon/this story, Larfleeze is exactly why being "a very good lantern that doesn't rely on ring AI" is a terrible thing for an Orange Lantern. It means that you're pretty insane, unable to prioritize or maintain perspective, unable to have any kind of long-term goals or self-control, unable to adapt or solve any problem that doesn't involve lots of indiscriminate brute force and assimilation.

Not to mention the fact that Paul has repeatedly shown that he actually does have some significant capability even without his ring. Like when he forcibly called his ring back off of Truggs, taking Truggs' finger with him. Or when he called Ragnar's ring off of his finger in the middle of a close-range duel, whilst unarmed. Or the fact that his soul is basically baby-Ophidian, complete with the ability to Brand people?

Paul's basically the Captain America version of a ring wielder.

Does anyone know/remember what is actually in Paul's book about sane orange lanterning?

"The Spider Queen is an expert in biological engineering-."

"No. No. There is no way that human and Guilder genetics are similar enough to make hybridisation possible even if she somehow got a genetic sample from me, and I don't think that she ever got the opportunity."
He keeps forgetting that he's kinda a god.

Spiritually he isn't human, but biologically he still is.

Grayven explained this a while ago, human with strong souls or gods can get pregnant a wide array of living creatures if they want to... Probably a few non living creatures too... So I fully expect Euante to have a baby driad growing inside her considering the subtext of how many encounters she has had with Paul and how she kinda wants his meat too.

Grayven has a gaggle of children and he is a better person as a result, so maybe Paul needs a few of those too.

And zeus was physically various humans and animals when he fathered lots of his children, I am pretty sure it's the spiritual part that matters.

Zeus is an Old God and purely magical, while Paul is more akin to a New God.

Zoat once said that Helios would struggle empowering tamaraneans like with what he did to Kon so I doubt raw power can overpower all barriers, including genetic ones.

Paul may be able to impregnate other sapient species, but only with ring assistance if they lack all that much compatibility.

Even if his soul allows him to impregnate women from other species I doubt he could impregnate a giant alien spider.

Grayven explained this a while ago, human with strong souls or gods can get pregnant a wide array of living creatures if they want to... Probably a few non living creatures too... So I fully expect Euante to have a baby driad growing inside her considering the subtext of how many encounters she has had with Paul and how she kinda wants his meat too.

Grayven has a gaggle of children and he is a better person as a result, so maybe Paul needs a few of those too.

He also said that it will most likely be difficult for him to impregnate Maxima without assistance.

A fertility god could do it, but he's not a fertility god. The paragon is also not a fertility god.

12th April
13:07 GMT +3
General heading of a good idea badly implemented.

Although, just because he is aware of the attempted manipulation doesn't necessarily mean he is immune to it.

And if I don't and Dox hears about this then he will.
I have to wonder how… clarified their respective authority is in such matters. Dox is theoretically a higher authority. But Paul is demonstrably the expert on the orange light.

General heading of a good idea badly implemented.

Although, just because he is aware of the attempted manipulation doesn't necessarily mean he is immune to it.

I have to wonder how… clarified their respective authority is in such matters. Dox is theoretically a higher authority. But Paul is demonstrably the expert on the orange light.

Dox can overrule Paul, but is probably fairly unlikely to do that in matters where Paul is an expert. Otherwise, I remember something about there being some kind of steering committee, wherein Dox has two votes, Paul has one vote, Hinon has one vote, and some random 2nd Maltusian has one vote?

Is it Jevek?

Is it Kalmin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back