• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

I rise into the air, target Purity and then fire.

Dear mr. Zoat:

Could you please put in some small comment somewhere in the future updates letting us know that the former Miss purity will have someone left alive to take care of her baby?

Normally, during a death spree involving Nazis I feel she would have enough warning to try to hide her child away with someone who could take care of her in case the worst of worst occurs. Unfortunately I am afraid that this yellow lantern will be too efficient... I am concerned that, as all the people around the baby are Nazis, everyone who knows about the child will die at the same time.

The mental image of a baby crying in the room alone with all the people who are supposed to take care of it when her mom dies having already passed away bothers me. In that particular case I at least hope that her brother who shouldn't have triggered yet will at least be able to take care of the situation.

Love the story,b wishes!

Dear mr. Zoat:

Could you please put in some small comment somewhere in the future updates letting us know that the former Miss purity will have someone left alive to take care of her baby?

Normally, during a death spree involving Nazis I feel she would have enough warning to try to hide her child away with someone who could take care of her in case the worst of worst occurs. Unfortunately I am afraid that this yellow lantern will be too efficient... I am concerned that, as all the people around the baby are Nazis, everyone who knows about the child will die at the same time.

The mental image of a baby crying in the room alone with all the people who are supposed to take care of it when her mom dies having already passed away bothers me. In that particular case I at least hope that her brother who shouldn't have triggered yet will at least be able to take care of the situation.

Love the story,b wishes!
Aster has a non-nazi older Brother, it was most likely him looking after her while the SI murdered Purity.

Because it is explicitly stated in canon that within 15 years at most Zion develops enough emotional complexity to start killing everyone.

There literally does not exist a future where zion doesnt kill dozens of billions.

According to the alien parasite hooked to Contessa's brain that has a security block against actually giving out info on Scion.

Anyone else thinking that this episode may be about Paul, or renegade, showing people how the OLC works by maybe giving them a tour of Maltus or Tamaran?

Assuming it isn't about the life of someone other than the paragon and renegade.

After the thing with Manga Khan people may be interested in learning more about the OLC and its operations, so maybe some kind of tour/interview could occur, during which something goes wrong and the crew sees what the OLC is capable of.

There are more examples of people being wrong about canon, but the only one I've seen from Mr Zoat is the erroneous belief that Legend knew about the connection between Cauldron and the Case 53s. The rest of Cauldron giving him the mushroom treatment was the overarching plot of his Interlude.
No I didn't. That SI assumed that he arrived because he knew about it. In reality he was just responding to an alarm notification as the SI smashed the Cauldron HQ apart.

The whole point of what I wrote was that that SI made a reasonable but mistaken deduction based on limited information.
So I'm a little disappointed he is killing Purity, I don't really like her as a character and think she isn't a good person but she is trying to be better and make the world a better place even though her racism stops her from succeeding. To be fair though she is technically using her free time to stop criminals without even getting paid, even if she only stops minority criminals. But because I don't really like her I'm only a little disappointed.
Lord Protector is not acting will a full knowledge of the setting. If he knew that she quit he wouldn't have shot her.
You are trying to treat 'conflict' as a game of semantics. Shards push capes into fighting other capes. There isn't two ways about it. And whether or not LP knows about the conflict drive doesn't have an affect on whether or not his plan backfires horrendously in his face. He doesn't get an out just because he decided to jump into things after having done all of two minutes of research.

You are trying to argue against a system that was set up by the best precognitive and analytics capes that exist.

So in short, whatever you are thinking of as a replacement, fits into the same category as "why didnt they just use x against the endbringer"

short answer, "they tried it, it didn't work".

Also, he is being a literal justice lord right now. You yourself wrote about how what the justice lords and justice league did only caused oceans of shit to hit a fan at such speeds that most a state died as a starter.
I don't believe that it's a semantic argument. Although, amusingly, arguing that it's not a semantic argument would itself be a semantic argument.

My understanding -admitedly based on reading Worm fanfiction- is that shards drive their hosts to use their powers creatively, and that just usually means violent conflict with other capes. Parian, for example, is mentally fine despite working as a party entertainer and seamstress while Amy is a mess due to just healing people.

Thing is, those precognitives? Their shards are under those same orders to create conflict and not report on the metagame. They're just reliable enough to encourage dependency without being reliable enough to save the world.

Lord Protector isn't trying to permanently stop all supervillainy. He's trying to give the heroes the advantage they need to manage the situation in the long term.

Last edited:
Dear mr. Zoat:

Love the story,b wishes!
I could, yes, but the Lord Protector has no idea that Purity even has children.

I suppose that if it makes you feel better I could say that her colleagues in her civilian job identified her body before Aster could suffer an injury.
Mr Zoat you have reached a whole new low of unoriginality.
What are you talking about? Most of my episode titled in ithe first 6 months were riffs on the original episode titles. If anything, this is a return to form.

Binge read the fic over the last couple of days. Loved the uplift, Fate beat down, team hangout and Vega tour parts, but I got about 0 investment in the parallel dimensions and time fuckery. Fic felt almost a bit direction less after the Orange Lantern Corps got set up. There's still interesting things going on, but there doesn't seem to be a goal in sight.

Two things I'd like to mention, while I may be wrong and be getting my canon and fanon mixed, the unwritten rules aren't rational at all, contessa and cauldron and probably others are pushing it to be the accepted norm to ensure a degree of stability and to ensure things don't escalate too much but like all rules there are going to be people who if they think they can get away with it they will.

This idea that no one not even the rapists and murderers within the E88 and ABB have murdered anyone is frankly so stupid and unrealistic.

AFAIK the conflict being pushed by the shards isn't anywhere near as strong as some people are saying it is, I could be wrong on this but I don't think I am.

Last edited:
Yeah. Veering to complete monster territory.
That being said, he doesn't know the unwritten rules and is also unaware of the cosmic horror threat. Killing Jack and establishing a heavy-handed dictatorship might keep earth safe for a generation or until Zion gets bored.

Wasn't there an omake where orange paul fused with the orphidian and kisses scion? Maybe yellow Paul should do the same

That would be Theo, who will have control of medhall when he turns 18 as soon as Lord Protector Kills Kaiser.
well that or he & aster get dumped into the foster system and hopefully don't get fucked over by it like Bitch did.

Wait a minute. Isn't Purity supposed to be in Boston at this point in the timeline?
Nope that's after the S9 arc.
Fog and Night are in boston at this point.

Alabaster is merely hard to kill. Wildbow states that any large enough and or destructive event would kill him, as long as it is instantaneous. Hit him with one of Bakuda's glass transmutation bombs for example and he's dead.
So give him the Dr Manhattan Special, just try not to do it on the carpet because no amount of club soda is going to get that out.

"I had been under the impression that superhumans were prohibited from holding positions of authority in the Parahuman Response Team. Does that just apply to directors?"
I noticed it this morning but it hasn't been edited out yet so just incase it hasn't been mentioned.. Thomas Calvert wasn't a PRT director at this point of worm, he was a third party consultant.

I noticed it this morning but it hasn't been edited out yet so just incase it hasn't been mentioned.. Thomas Calvert wasn't a PRT director at this point of worm, he was a third party consultant.
"Does that just apply to directors?" implies that he knows he is asking about someone in a position of authority which is not a directorship.
Yes, I know. Lord Protector doesn't say that he's the Director. He merely asks if there's a ban on superhumans being directors.

I rise into the air, target Purity and then fire.

Purity? At this point in the timeline isn't she nominally a good guy? I mean, yeah, criminal past, sure, but she's trying to reform. Sure, she's reluctantly back with E88 soon after this, but right at the time that Skitter's first fight with Lung happened she wasn't. Why target her? (Not criticizing, just confused.)

Purity? At this point in the timeline isn't she nominally a good guy? I mean, yeah, criminal past, sure, but she's trying to reform.

LP isn't working with the same knowledge set as we are, all he knows about her is what the media says about her and...

Shell 4.x
"Kayden," he said, when he'd stopped, "You're already associated with me. People say our names in the same breath, even when we haven't worked together in two years. When my name appears in the newspapers, yours is never far behind."
"I'm working to change that."
"And you'll be working against that impression for decades, to no effect, I guarantee you."
Kayden turned and looked out the window, unwilling to look Max in his brilliantly blue eyes for any longer.
He continued, and she knew he was smiling smugly at her even without looking at him, "Regardless of our different methods, we always shared the same goals. To clean up this filthy world of ours."
"You do it by putting drugs on the street, stealing, extorting. I can't agree with that. I never did. It doesn't make any sense, to improve things by making them worse."
Max smiled, "It's ugly on the surface, but it's more money, more power, and it gives me the leverage to really affect things. The only people I hurt are the same people who cause the problems in the first place."
It was a refrain she had heard often enough before. She folded her arms.
He changed tactics, "Let me ask you – would you rather be doing things your way, failing to change things or would you rather work under me and make a difference?"
"I am making a difference," Kayden answered, "I'm working to make this world a better place."
"Of course," he replied, and she didn't miss the hint of condescension in his voice, "You left my team to go do good work, it's just pure coincidence that it's black, brown, or yellow criminals you target."
Kayden frowned, "Hard to avoid, when the only notable gang of whites is yours. Some old friends and allies of mine still work for you… I can't go around attacking them, can I? I'm working to improve our city, but I'm not going to beat up people I've been out to drinks with."
"And in the process, you're doing little to shake the notion that you're a part of Empire Eighty-Eight," Max smiled, "It's amusing to hear you try and justify your perspective, but you're ignoring the elephant in the room. Cut the B.S. and tell me you don't feel something different when you look at a black face, compared to when you look at a white one."

Purity? At this point in the timeline isn't she nominally a good guy? I mean, yeah, criminal past, sure, but she's trying to reform. Sure, she's reluctantly back with E88 soon after this, but right at the time that Skitter's first fight with Lung happened she wasn't. Why target her? (Not criticizing, just confused.)

He doesn't know anything about her aside from what he got from any database he pilfered, and said database could still have her listed as a criminal.

Considering she's been attacking minorities, even if they are criminals, many people may still think she's working for the E88.

My understanding -admitedly based on reading Worm fanfiction- is that shards drive their hosts to use their powers creatively, and that just usually means violent conflict with other capes. Parian, for example, is mentally fine despite working as a party entertainer and seamstress while Amy is a mess due to just healing people.

No, the shards specifically drive their hosts toward conflict, and usually violent conflict.

This idea that no one not even the rapists and murderers within the E88 and ABB have murdered anyone is frankly so stupid and unrealistic.
Because thats not a thing, all villain teams have murderers, the point is not to kill people indiscriminately which would result in the heroes being forced to escalate things which makes buisness really hard for Villains. It also results in other Villain teams teaming up against you, since they dont want you to draw the attention of law enforcment too much. We saw that when the BB Villains teamed up against the ABB after Bakuda killed over fifty people and ensalved my more.
AFAIK the conflict being pushed by the shards isn't anywhere near as strong as some people are saying it is, I could be wrong on this but I don't think I am.
Pretty much, it's more that people who are naturally driven towards conflict are more likely to trigger in the first place. Thats why Taylor triggered instead of her father, since he had a stronger support network.

Last edited:
That is still about 10^36225 times less than Heinlein (6^6^6)
Yeah, but that's the total number of worlds they could (potentially) visit. The smaller number (10^80) is the number within the Entities's dimensional shield, that will be destroyed to power their leaving, at the end of the Cycle. That number... feels a little excessive. :)

an already rational fic into their own version

That's a laugh. Worm is grimderp masquerading as rational. If WTR wrote a rationalized version it wouldn't even be the first; El-Ahrairah came first, with the necessary change of injecting the PC into Cauldron immediately (and the corresponding requirement that she be changed in power to be something Cauldron would want).

The premise. Of Worm. Is. "what would a world in which the logical inconsistencies present in superhero media actually make sense look like".

It doesn't make sense, not for a minute. Wildbow just isn't (and wasn't even then) a good enough writer to make it actually hold together. It makes more sense than DC or Marvel, yeah, but that's
800px-The_Lowest_Bar_in_the_World._Dead_Sea_003_-_Aug_2011.jpg

LP probably is beneficial on net, though given that he's thoroughly out of the loop on the existential catastrophes which ultimately dominate the utilitarian calculus of three of the four people in the setting with a modicum of agency (Doctor Mother, Alexandria, Jack Slash, and Taylor) he's mostly getting lucky on that front. If El-Ahrairah's depiction of how the cycle works is canon (which it probably isn't, because I don't think there is a canon answer at all; Anderein is skilled enough to write one but Wildbow never was), the Principle of Eristic Escalation works on overdrive in Bet, and the 'controlled chaos' of gang warfare is near-optimal. And of course, despite Cauldron being pants-on-head retarded in pretty much everything about how they go about it, parahuman farming to get as many rolls of the dice as possible to luck into something that can kill Zion is in fact incredibly important.

Finally made an account to post on my favorite story here.

It's always interesting to see a writer who hasn't read worm write a worm fanfic vs one who has read the story.

There is a lot of fanon that gets spread around this story in particular. A lot of people haven't read worm because it's so long so they write based of fandom osmosis.

I think this annoyed Wildbow so much that he spent a ton of time addressing and countering fanon in his Ward sequal. I find Ward to be a far better written story then Worm by the way.

Anyway I liked how you dealt with Purity. Too often she gets woobified into this poor misguided women who I simply trying to better herself as a hero. They downplay the fact that she is a murderous white supremacist.

Anyway I hope you write more of this sidestory eventually. It's always interesting seeing Paul interact with a non DC Fandom.

That was supposed to be a link to Cobblepot being in a normal prison. I don't have sound here so I can't actually hear it.

Yeah. Though, I'm pretty sure no criminal in the OG LA Batman series actually went to an asylum. They all went to a prison where the warden wanted to rehabilitate them. Heck, in the first Joker episode, the Joker is actually playing baseball and, if memory serves, one of the people watching says that the warden loves rehabilitating hardened criminals like the Joker.

Then you're in a very small minority. The plurality opinion is that Wildbow's writing skill has only decreased over time.

Nah, the plurality opinion is that Ward is worse than Worm, not that his writing skill has worsened over time.

Take Twig for example, it's widely agreed that the characterization in Twig is far better than Worm.

Its possible to improve in skill while writing something generally agreed to be worse overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back